Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recruiting: A snowballs chance in hell
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Shadow
Buddha just asked me a relevant question I wanted to share with you all.

Everyone should be Elves. My assumption was that this would be obvious, but it may not.

If you really have a great story I may let you be a Night One, but there would only be one of those on the team.

Oh, and don't be excessive on the edges and flaws.
Tanka
It was stated in the first post, I believe. If not, then I'm good at assuming things. biggrin.gif
Shadow
A question was asked:

Initiation allowed?

Yes to what ever 50 Karma will get you.

Magical group?

You can belong to whatever group you want, assuming their goals do not lay counter to the Tir military.

Ordeal?
MetaTechniques?

Sure. Whatever Meta Techniques you want I guess.

Pay the 10 BP to be an elf?

Yes

Johnson
Well I am going to cover the Light weapons and B&E Expert.

I am going to cover Personal coms as well, unless battle tac is being perchased and we need reciever units.

May I suggest that we set aside money for some CC or SOTA Battle Tac.

This will help us tremendiously.

Small unit tactics are going to play an important role.

Shadow, basic training as far as everone is concerned. There should be a standard of weapons across the board. Unless there is we have our own discresion and become a deniable asset to Tir.

If thats a case we would have what restrictions on Military grade weapons and equipment?

Shadow
You can have any equipment you want as long as it fits availability.

In my limited experience with spec ops they often choose whatever weapon fits their role best .
Johnson
Thanks

I am going to look at manual B&E.

etc Locks and electronic locks.
Digital Heroin
I'm going to be making the leader sans SOTA 2064. Going to make a mundane, light cyber, highly trained. Going to focus on leadership and instruction, naturally. Aside from that the leader (as I may make a gal, for a change of pace) is going to have a strong soldiering background as well, which also makes sense.
Johnson
GGGRRRRR. Female Capt.

That would be a good idea Female survailance sniper.

Hey a whole female tac team...
Permenent PMS 24/7/365
Silverspur_2020
Just finished writing up my rigger.... it took AGES!! I just hopes its all ok!
aeon
seems like someone made bad experiences @ Johnson wink.gif

question for the Rigger: What kind of drones will be of use? And what kind of vehicle skills are in need?

We should definatly go for BattleTac and Small Unit Tactics.

@ Shadow: just for the notes: you forgot me at Decker/Infiltrator (2) smile.gif
Digital Heroin
You want crazy female leaders? I ran a RL game with ex-Desert Wars soldiers who were supposed to be on the same squad, and got recruited by a secret society to do some soft touch work. The leader walked around with a primed explosive in her hand whenever she was giving briefings, anyone talked trash she threatened to detonate it.

Then again that was the same team where I eventually got sick of the infighting and poor leadership, and let the sniper take out the leader.
Tanka
Johnson: Odd, that's what I built! silly.gif

Female longrifle/surveillance expert is out. I'll be working on a Rigger as my backup (as there's a good show for heavy/demolitions).

Besides, what good Rigger could pass up 2mil in stuff?!
Silverspur_2020
Well I have made a rigger who has all the battletech stuff.... but then again I didnt take the full two million. I took 1,400,000 instead and still had to think how best to spend it all.... I dont think I would have been able to spend all 2 000 000 unless I bought a full on attack helicopter!!
Sphynx
My Hermetic has been turned in. FYI to the Field Medic, the character does have a force 6 Heal, and a Force 3 Stabilize. So, you have a somewhat decent Backup, I hope.

Sphynx
HeySparky
I was going to ask, Shadow, can we donate karma and resources?

If so, Sphynx (and any other mages), if I contributed resource and karma to a spell or sustaining focus or Nuyen for points for levitate, heal or stabilize (gurneys are hard to come by in the field) would it jack with your build?

I may not have leftovers since the doc has to also be a hth guy.

Just a thought.

To any Rigger - what vehicles are you getting? Probably we should have a back-up driver or more than one vehicle (big team).

Just in case, you know.
Whizbang
Decker/Infiltrator submitted.
Shadow
@ Sparky,

No trading Karma, you are welcome to buy things you think other teamates could use but no outright giving it to them. Since the final list of players isn't out then that would be unfair.
Fenris
Interesting as it sounds, Shadow, I don't think I have time to write up a full character, research into the Tir, and create an in-depth background for a game I might not even play in.

I'll be keeping an eye on the thread though, and I expect a good story wink.gif
Shadow
I hope we don't disapoint Fenris.
HeySparky
Shadow -- How old is the medic character and what rank? Also - the suggestion to purchase stuff for the Mage wasn't directed at anyone in particular, but offered to any Mage that spent BPs to cover the medic's back with stuff like Heal and Stabilize. If I do purchase foci they'll be heirlooms or something... Maybe. If I have piles of Nuyen laying about I've prolly done something wrong. smile.gif

EDIT: And what rank are we using - Army? (Is this something I should know for knowing The Tir? Gotta hit the books...)
Shadow
Rank system: I am basing it off the Army.

The Medic is a Sergent.
Shadow
So far this is what I have for Character interest:

Team leader/Face (Captain)
-Digital Heroin (1)
-Ecclesiastes (1)

Light Weapons Expert/B&E (1st L.T)
-Johnson (1)
-Digital Heroin (2)

Heavy weapons expert/Demolitions (Staff Sergeant)
-Raiko (2)
-McQuillan (1)
-paul_HArkonen (1)
-tanka (2)

Long rifle/surveillance (Spec 4)
-Johnson (2)
-Aeon (2)
-Silverspur (2)
-Raiko (1)
-Ecclesiastes (2)
-Tanka (1) *submited*
-ES_Sparky (2)
- paul_HArkonen (2)
-Fenris (2)

Mage (Hermetic) (Warrant Officer 1)
-Sphynx (1) *submited*
- Buddha72 (2)
Whizbang (2)

Rigger/comm. expert (Warrant Officer 2)
-Aeon (1)
-Silverspur (1)
-Fenris (1)

Decker/Infiltration (Warrant Officer 2)
Buddha72 (3)
Whizbang (1) *submited*
-McQuillan (2)

Field Medic/Thowing Weapons
- Buddha72 (1)
-ES_Sparky (1)
-Aeon (2)
Tanka
Silverspur: I already asked if the Rigger would be the Tactician, he said no. Leader is Tactician. However, I'm assuming that the Rigger would have some BTacs for his drones (if he has any).

On vehicles: Since we're technically getting all of this through the military/government, do we pay military markup for all created vehicles or are we paying standard "street-level" markup?
Shadow
QUOTE (tanka)
On vehicles: Since we're technically getting all of this through the military/government, do we pay military markup for all created vehicles or are we paying standard "street-level" markup?

Whichever is more beneficial to you as the player.
Tanka
Oh really now...

More money good. And it makes some form of sense. (Well, except for the more rare things like... A chasis for a Thunderbird.)
HeySparky
Shadow -- My second choice was First Lieutenant - I backed out of the race for sniper/scout.

I found a really great resource for today's Armed Forces and thought I'd share, since all I can claim for a legit military background is being a navy brat...

This one is for the Army, but do a search there for United States Marines or United States Navy, etc. and you'll have more reading to do than you can shake a stick at.

Enjoy!
Tanka
It's a .com, so I wouldn't trust it so much as if it was a .mil

Certain discrepencies can arise because of that little bit.
Shadow
So as not to start a new page every time I post it.

So far this is what I have for Character interest:

[ Spoiler ]
Tanka
Switch me to Rigger for choice 2. If I have time, I might throw a Heavy just in case, but I doubt it.
HeySparky
QUOTE (tanka)
It's a .com, so I wouldn't trust it so much as if it was a .mil

Certain discrepencies can arise because of that little bit.

Anybody got any good .mil sites to share?
Shadow

Ghosts are trained to operate in small units of one or two men up to platoon strength of sixteen. However, they work best in squads of eight or fewer. Most missions are clandestine in nature, planned in exacting detail and executed with precision and swiftness. During peacetime, Ghosts find themselves with the same rigorous training as during war. Training remains strict to enforce the belief that the more you sweat in peacetime, the less you will bleed in war.

Whenever the Council of Princes needs a no-nonsense, decisive and lethal solution to a foreign policy problem, including counter-terrorism strike forces, the Tir Ghosts are the force of choice.

This is a modified excerpt from the US Navy Seals comercial website.

Like I said earlier think Navy Seals / Spec Force when making your character.
Shadow
Whizbang asked me a question about how to improve his character. Now normally I do not like helping people with their character because they feel since I helped them, that they are somehow entitled to be in the game. This is not the case.

I took a look at his character and the first thing that struck me was that all his physical stats were 3 or less.

Now he submitted for a Decker and he was a superb Decker. Heres the thing though, no matter your specialty all Spec Force people have to meet a certain physical level of fitness.

So before you hit the send mail button ask yourself this.

If a helicopter dropped your character out in the ocean, five miles from shore, would he be able to swim in? Assuming you could use nothing but the power of your muscles.
paul_HArkonen
I hope that as part of those muscles are cyberware and other such stuff is included.
aeon
My Rigger is sent. He'd probably die too if you drop him 5 miles off the coast into the ocean wink.gif

One thing to add for all those who play magical chars: The ghosts have their own group called 'Ghost Circle' At least that's what the shadowtalk in the Tir Tairngire SB sais.
Digital Heroin
That's definitly the deal. Spec Forces people may have the nowhow to operate all the toys in the world (literally, you need to be able to operate enemy gear as well), but you also need to be able to operate with absolutely nothing. Think McGuyver people. Knowledge is power, toys are secondary. Flexibility is prefered to specialty, though specialty is also valued.

Edit: As for the circles and such... for anyone interested who doesn't have access to the relevant materials I can write up a blurb on how the Tir Paladins (of which the Ghosts are a branch) work. Will do when I get off work today.
Johnson
Well I am going to submit the Light weapons and B&E As I said.

The Character should be out to you by Friday. Bio will be done I have to find the time for History and background.

Between Work and Packing up the house I am laking the time.

If there are any offer from the creative types who would like to submit a background History, you are welcome.
Johnson
Fingers Bio has beens sent.

Contacts, History and background to follow.
Silverspur_2020
The alterations to my rigger have been made and sent as requested.

but I do have one question for the group....

I "only" took 1.4 million as resources, bought the best cyberware money can buy as well as several fairly hard drones, A modified Ares mobmaster and a mildly modified chopper... with all this talk of tanks and things I am starting to think im fairly under eqiped! Should I really have gone out and bought a tank or attack helicopter?!
Digital Heroin
QUOTE (Silverspur_2020)
The alterations to my rigger have been made and sent as requested.

but I do have one question for the group....

I "only" took 1.4 million as resources, bought the best cyberware money can buy as well as several fairly hard drones, A modified Ares mobmaster and a mildly modified chopper... with all this talk of tanks and things I am starting to think im fairly under eqiped! Should I really have gone out and bought a tank or attack helicopter?!

You did read the excerpt about the SEALS, right? Tanks and helos aren't clandestine... far, far from it.
Whizbang
Perhaps an attack helicopter with some nice stealth modifications... would make getting out into the boondocks alot easier.
aeon
nice idea with the helicopter, not that anyone could pay for that... at least I can't when you want me to have other useful stuff aswell. (like a few drones, comm equipment, a good rcd, etc
Silverspur_2020
Well this was my thought... I started with 1.4 and by the time I had bought my cyberware I was left with 800,000... minus the drones takes you down to about 300,000... so I outfited a mobmaster and a kept the chopper more or less standard. I think I got a point of armour for it and rigging adaption...thats more or less it. Although I am toying with the idea of taking the cannon off the mobmaster and fitting it to the chopper.
Johnson
are we going to be diversing in multi terrian or are we just going to land the ship on the back lawn and shoot our way in.

The way I see we are going to be dropped of at an LZ or a small landing strip and make our own way with other transport.
Tanka
I was thinking more of a drop-off and the Rigger sits back for the communications. Maybe send a few drones out to aid the longrifler with recon. I wouldn't say too much with combat, but a bit. Stealth is probably pretty key here, so it'd be best to have a high Signature and some good ECM/ECCM/ED/ECD and Sensors if possible.

I might make a Thunderbird and see how much I can throw in it starting. Probably not a whole lot, but it's worth a shot. If that fails, then I can just switch some skills around and go about another direction.
Ecclesiastes
Whoever is playing the Rigger, are you setting up your drones with BattleTac?

I'm building a submission for Leader right now. He is heavy on tactics (yay for 12 dice on a tactics roll with Aptitude). So everyone should try to pick up a BattleTac receiver, if not a cyberlink (cyberlink is way better). If you have any questions, let me know.
Tanka
OK, maybe not a TBird... If I do, it'll be bare-bones all the way and upgrades at a later date.

...And I was so hoping to fly one of those down the throats of our enemies. That would've been so much fun.
Silverspur_2020
I submitted a rigger... and yes, I THINK I sorted battletech out... I did buy the stuff for it... but not as the cyberware version
Ecclesiastes
You don't need the cyberware. You need the add-ons for your drones.
Sphynx
I've submitted a 2nd option for a Hermetic Mage, if you don't receive it, let me know please.

Sphynx
Shadow
Yesterday and today find me moving into our new place so I will get back to you on the characters tomorow.

I realize I havent given a starting date, so I should probably set one now.

Sunday, Oct 10th is when the game starts. Final characters are due the Thursday before
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012