Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hows this for an HP?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
blakkie
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
I suppose a summary of what we're trying to get at is: this pistol really doesn't decrease the risk we're taking by any significant amount, and if we're already taking those kinds of risks, in most cases we can get something more effective for the same amount of risk.

...but for the times you can't work around it, or for the times it's cheaper to work around it, that's when the concealibility is there. It's not huge, but that extra +1 or +2 TN can half your chance of getting spotted and having to shoot your way out or go on with one less weapon.

Once again, if the conceal doesn't matter to you because you use other ways around the problem in your senarios with your GM doesn't nessasarily belittle the value to others. If that was the case having a cyberdeck with insane stats is ok. In our game we don't have PC deckers, so any extra -anything- to a deck is no big deal. We just work around any senario that might involve the matrix by using other tools. Just as you work around the firearm concealibility stat by concealing it within other things.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (mmu1)
Concealability is useful, if only as a guideline, but it has very little impact on game balance. If the concealability of your heavy pistol is what makes or breaks your plan, then you need a better plan, not a more concealable weapon.

I mostly agree here. Infiltration sorts (as opposed to intrusion) could need a concealable weapon if they need to kill someone inside. Then again, that's the proper time to learn Unarmed Combat.

~J
blakkie
QUOTE (mmu1)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Oct 8 2004, 12:22 PM)
But in the end as i've alredy said above....is guess your game has no need for a high conceal weapon...so why bother have a weapon with one? Why worry about having a conceal lowered? Hell, why not just take a marker and black out the entire conceal column? Obviously the designer of the weapon thought it important enough in his game to raise it.

Nice strawman. Yeah, I play in a game where people routinely carry LMGs around, because concealability doesn't matter. sarcastic.gif

Concealability is useful, if only as a guideline, but it has very little impact on game balance. If the concealability of your heavy pistol is what makes or breaks your plan, then you need a better plan, not a more concealable weapon.

That was the point I made initially, nothing else, only to have people come up with all kinds of silly responses about how hard it is to get a heavy pistol into a movie theater or a post office, and the likelihood of traffic stops.

I was certainly getting the impression that you and Kagetenshi weren't wandering around in public places.

"Conceal" isn't a plan, it is insurance.

So while you are blather about "strawman" why not answer the question and explain why having the concealibility lowered [to allow the weapon] is an issue? If it doesn't matter to you then you'd be a-ok with lowering conceal to a more respecable 4 or 5?
Kagetenshi
Definitely. I don't think either of us were arguing that this is a great A-OK weapon. It's just not the damning of the Cannon Companion rules that BitBasher was claiming it was.

That takes a Conceal 7 Assault Rifle, IMO.

~J
blakkie
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (mmu1 @ Oct 8 2004, 12:50 PM)

I mostly agree here. Infiltration sorts (as opposed to intrusion) could need a concealable weapon if they need to kill someone inside. Then again, that's the proper time to learn Unarmed Combat.

~J

...if you have the karma to learn it, and will be able to close face to face with your opponent.
blakkie
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Oct 8 2004, 06:09 PM)
Definitely. I don't think either of us were arguing that this is a great A-OK weapon. It's just not the damning of the Cannon Companion rules that BitBasher was claiming it was.

That takes a Conceal 7 Assault Rifle, IMO.

~J

Ummm, as i pointed out way back, it has more than an AR level damage code (just no BF) with a conceal 7. Pop in some Ex-EX and you're sporting a 12M damage code.

EDIT: It certainly isn't the worst that you could tease out of the CC, but it is another casting of shadow on the CC weapon design rules.
Kagetenshi
No BF/FA capability, no possibility of using suppressive fire, two-thirds the ammo capacity… unless your targets are wearing truly ridiculous amounts of armor, this is not significantly superior to any other heavy pistol, and is decidedly inferior in all ways but one (which we've already established is not of universal importance, whether it's game-breaking or not is slightly more subjective) to a stock assault rifle from the Firearm Creation Rules.

The FCR-breaking monstrosity is the assault rifle everyone is probably familiar with, with a Conceal of 7, 9M base damage code, Smartlink-2, and five points of recoil compensation before grip customization or barrel accessories.

~J
SilverWolf_assassin
Grid guide rocks. Police don't have to do much pulling over for minor infractions.

Long coats, Duffle bags, and car trunks rock. Enough said.

Rare guns rock. Because I will put a forensics wrap sheet on your character faster then you will ever be able to raise the skill with the fire arm in hand.

Forcing weapons to require balistics testing if you want them to be higher tech then a musket, also rocks. Now you need a weapons facility.

Yes, you can make some entertaining and rather broken firearms in the Shadowrun world. Yes, they open up a can of worms perviously not in place. Thankfully, the GM is quite capable of maintaining a level of fun, even if you are running around with an assult rifle with a concealability of 9 or a hold out pistol with a concealability of 18.

---------------------------------------------
There is a counter to EVERYTHING.
I will find it and it will make some serious dead.
blakkie
Two upsides or the stock AR: The extra punch for effective damage in to the armour 8 plus taregt, or actually make the Troll have to work to shrug off damage, without having to make FA noise is a definate plus. It also makes it viable to start shooting lightly armoured targets on the other side of cover such as through tables, chairs, walls, etc.

In the end would this weapon wash an entire campaign down the drain? No. But pretending it doesn't have issues???

What's the matter with this again?

~J
blakkie
QUOTE (SilverWolf_assassin @ Oct 8 2004, 06:51 PM)
Grid guide rocks.  Police don't have to do much pulling over for minor infractions.

All praise accidents and road blocks!

Long coats, Duffle bags, and car trunks rock.   Enough said.

All praise to making high concealibility even higher!

Rare guns rock.  Because I will put a forensics wrap sheet on your character faster then you will ever be able to raise the skill with the fire arm in hand.

All praise to caseless ammo shotguns! wink.gif

Forcing weapons to require balistics testing if you want them to be higher tech then a musket, also rocks.  Now you need a weapons facility. 

Do you mean as opposed to having someone crafting a nuyen.gif 10,000 custom weapon in the backseat of their Americar? Or are you suggesting someone has to do balistics testing on a regular basis, which would then be required for all firearms?

Yes, you can make some entertaining and rather broken firearms in the Shadowrun world.  Yes, they open up a can of worms perviously not in place.  Thankfully, the GM is quite capable of maintaining a level of fun, even if you are running around with an assult rifle with a concealability of 9 or a hold out pistol with a concealability of 18.

Unfortunately the escalating wierdness can get out of hand and start to dominate the play. It also tends to drag the other players in or leave them bored, staring blankly at the chip bowl. dead.gif

---------------------------------------------
There is a counter to EVERYTHING.
I will find it and it will make some serious dead.

Yes, yes there is. And sometimes it's "You pull the trigger, but instead of the expected smooth push back into your shoulder from the heavily recoil compensated shot you scamble franticly to kept the sundry bits of metal you are now holding from clattering to the ground. Apparenty the custom, bleeding-edge weapon you had designed pushed the laws of physics to far as it now looks more akin to a post-modern 3D jigsaw puzzle." smile.gif
Wounded Ronin
Wow, this thread just convinced me to disallow custom firearms from future games that I GM.
mmu1
QUOTE (blakkie)
I was certainly getting the impression that you and Kagetenshi weren't wandering around in public places.

So while you are blather about "strawman" why not answer the question and explain why having the concealibility lowered [to allow the weapon] is an issue? If it doesn't matter to you then you'd be a-ok with lowering conceal to a more respecable 4 or 5?

So what exactly is the problem with it? A lot of the arguments (aside from the improved concealability / extended clip combo, which should clearly be mutually exclusive) amount to "I don't like it".

See the above excerpt from my first post to this thread...
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (ShadowGhost)
IMHO, there are no freebie concealment bonuses just because the gun is custom made. CC Custom Gun building doesn't say there is a concealment modifier, and it doesn't say it concealment doesn't apply. I think it's silly to assume building the gun yourself makes the Gas Vent (for example) any less concealable than adding one to a stock gun.

If you play it like this, then there is never any point in adding things like Gas Vents at the Design phase. The cost in nuyen is the same, the weight is the same, but adding them during firearm design costs FCU. Same goes for Laser Sights and Imaging Systems. For a Foregrip, you're paying 150 extra nuyen for the point of Concealability.

It would then make sense to limit weapon modifications by FCU in all cases, even when adding modifications to stock weapons -- by saying that, for example, an AK-97 has 0.5 FCU left. Or simply ignore all these modifications in the design phase and add them afterward.
blakkie
QUOTE (mmu1)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Oct 8 2004, 01:06 PM)

So what exactly is the problem with it? A lot of the arguments (aside from the improved concealability / extended clip combo, which should clearly be mutually exclusive) amount to "I don't like it".

See the above excerpt from my first post to this thread...

Reading is critical. Try it starting from, you know, the beginnig of the thread. You -might- find it habit forming. Sure waiting for a page plus beyond when started posting in the thread is sort of putting it off. But chances are when coupled with some comprehension skills your curiousity might be sated.

Yes i'm being sarcastic, but you've earned it.
toturi
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Oct 9 2004, 05:14 AM)
QUOTE (ShadowGhost)
IMHO, there are no freebie concealment bonuses just because the gun is custom made. CC Custom Gun building doesn't say there is a concealment modifier, and it doesn't say it concealment doesn't apply. I think it's silly to assume building the gun yourself makes the Gas Vent (for example) any less concealable than adding one to a stock gun.

If you play it like this, then there is never any point in adding things like Gas Vents at the Design phase. The cost in nuyen is the same, the weight is the same, but adding them during firearm design costs FCU. Same goes for Laser Sights and Imaging Systems. For a Foregrip, you're paying 150 extra nuyen for the point of Concealability.

It would then make sense to limit weapon modifications by FCU in all cases, even when adding modifications to stock weapons -- by saying that, for example, an AK-97 has 0.5 FCU left. Or simply ignore all these modifications in the design phase and add them afterward.

Please keep in mind Gas Vents and the rest are added during the Firearm Customisation Phase.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (toturi)
Please keep in mind Gas Vents are added during the Firearm Customisation Phase. The FCU costs in the Modifications are for the guns that have integral parts in the CC.

That's still part of the Design Process (or Design phase). If you do handle Concealability for these integral parts the same as you would for after-market modifications, there would be no point adding the parts in the Design phase -- you're either paying extra nuyen or just using up FCU for no purpose.
toturi
The design phase ends at page 78 CC. Personally, if the Modification has a FCU cost of None and a minus to Concealability(after market), I would rule that there would be a loss of Concealabilty. There would be no loss for those Mods that are integral ( r ).

Besides, there is no Canon rule that says that the Conceal is lost or not for the Mods in the first place. There is a lot of room for the GM to make his call and still be Canon.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (toturi)
The design phase ends at page 78 CC.

You're thinking about "Add Design Options" step of the "Design Process", which is followed by the "Add Modifications" step of the same. You're still designing the weapon when adding options with FCU and DP costs.

Assume you're adding Gas Vent IVs on to a new firearm you're designing. You pay 1 FCU and 200 DP for the priviledge. Do you reduce the Concealability of the weapon by 2?

And, as usual, I'm not really debating this on basis of what's canon, as much as on what makes sense. And it would not make sense to have FCU costs for modifications added during the design process of a weapon when for all other purposes these modifications are equal to those added after the design process that do not have FCU costs.
toturi
No, but if you do it without paying the FCU, yes. Why? Because if you aren't paying FCU but are paying DP, you can easily take out the mod and sell it. Though you might be losing money on that.

Same for the Bipods and Tripods, except that you do not get a choice to pay FCU, and needs to reduce Conc. I think that there might be case for an Errata for the Mods, since on page 78 (yes, AE you are right, I forgot that Step 3), Concealability is mentioned.
Austere Emancipator
Okay, that's a reasonable ruling. I have no problem with that. I think it's worth notin, though, that you don't really get to choose with a Gas Vent either -- you either pay both FCU and DP during the design process, or you make an after-market modification and just pay nuyen.
mmu1
QUOTE (blakkie)
Yes i'm being sarcastic, but you've earned it.

Thanks for trying to clarify that, I would have assumed it was inane babble otherwise.
Necro Tech
Maybe this should be a poll but what do your characters do when not actually involved in the comission of a crime. For planning and expense purposes I consider being hired by the Johnson the "start" of the run but most of our stuff involves a LOT of legwork. What are you carrying then? My current job involved trekking all over Everett in search of some guy and I was armed the whole damn time with my favorite pistol. Concealability is huge. I would love to have a high powered pistol with a huge mag that is more concealable than my big smokin 5 conceal, 15 rnd pistol. Sure I have tons of illegal ware in my body but without a cyberware scanner, no one knows this. The pistol on the other hand...... I'd drop 3000 nuyen.gif in a heart beat.
ShadowGhost
QUOTE (toturi)
No, but if you do it without paying the FCU, yes. Why? Because if you aren't paying FCU but are paying DP, you can easily take out the mod and sell it. Though you might be losing money on that.

That all depends on the mod - whether you include a gas vent during the design phase, or as an after market add-on, it's still permanent and cannot be removed. pg 34 - CC

It is however, cheaper to do as an after market add-on.
mmu1
QUOTE (Necro Tech)
Maybe this should be a poll but what do your characters do when not actually involved in the comission of a crime. For planning and expense purposes I consider being hired by the Johnson the "start" of the run but most of our stuff involves a LOT of legwork. What are you carrying then? My current job involved trekking all over Everett in search of some guy and I was armed the whole damn time with my favorite pistol. Concealability is huge. I would love to have a high powered pistol with a huge mag that is more concealable than my big smokin 5 conceal, 15 rnd pistol. Sure I have tons of illegal ware in my body but without a cyberware scanner, no one knows this. The pistol on the other hand...... I'd drop 3000 nuyen.gif in a heart beat.

My current character is a street sam. If I think he needs to be discreet, it's a near-stock Browning MP in a concealable holster, under a long coat. Concealability 10 right there without spending 3K. (and one of the reasons I think a gun like the one which started this topic is not a big deal, even if it is kind of absurd and implausible)

When he really needs to be careful, a Walther PB-120 in a concealable holster, loaded with EX rounds to keep the power up. (Conc. 10 without a longcoat, 12 with)

Although to be honest, he rarely ends up carrying either one, since most of the time, the gun is the last thing someone will worry about when they look at him.
Sandoval Smith
I'm not sure how effective accounting for the custom firearm rules in game is as an arguement, but that's the tact I would take.

One of the reasons that a weapon designed by these rules could trump one of the market standards is because unlike a Predator, these are not designed to be an easily produced, mass appeal product. What goes into making one of these should be stupid expensive (a fact that should be represented in the final price), and inefficent to mass produce.

It should also take time and proper connections. You can't just wander into Moe's Gun Store, hand him the plans, and by the end of the day you have your conceal 7 AR (so a definite no at character creation). The custom barrel with that gas vent IV built in has to be made, wires and space for that smart link II laid out. Indeed, in order to get that 20 bullet clip, you might also need custom ammunition.

Unlike a vehicle, most runners can probably come up with the funds for the weapon of their dreams in a single run, so the problem of having to face the possibilty that a player will try to get his very own custom doom cock is much more likely to arise. I feel that the system is balanced when properly handled in game, although that doesn't really bear much weight as an arguement.
Edward
Extended clip deserves a compellability modifier.

Not to mention that it should be possible to make a weapon capable of taking clips of different sizes. Consider the utility of a medium pistol (heavy end of light or light end of heavy, take your pick) with burst fire capability, a 5 round clip for compellability and a 50 round clip for when you want to make like it is an SMG. I like the idea of copying the –1 conceal per 4 rounds.

As the rules stand each gun can hold only 1 sized clip (some of the BIG guns can have a drum instead or a belt instead)

Building your oown custom weapons should be possible with the following skills and equipment

Gunsmith shop, as far as I know the biggest item of equipment you need to make a weapon up to an assault rifle is a rifling lathe witch is not beyond the scope of a shop (a facility is for mass production or parts you cant carry). Just re cheeked the rules say facility although I don’t know why.

BR for the appropriate weapon type.

Knowledge gun design.

And building your own guns makes traking you down by them harder as nobody will tell the cops you sold it and you can change the barrels yourself (or use shot rounds, ex rounds, dumdum rounds, glaser rounds or any of the other types that don’t leave a big enough chunk of bullet to do a comparison.

It dose say that the firearm customisations take up space. In fact it admits that adding something to a stock weapon can mean doing a bit of maths to workout how much FCU you have to work with. Many of the customisation options mention conceal ability (EG stock and sawed of shotgun) but some do not (eg gas vent or bipod) I would say you loose the conceal ability anyway.

Ps if you want a reason to be puled over by the cops why do you think sec guards fire light weapons at escaping vans they know to be armoured, its so they can ding up the paintwork and lights so the cops will be suspicious.

The purpose of a high compellability weapon us not being stoped by the cops. A conceal 6+ weapon preferably ceramic is what you take to places where you don’t expect trouble but want to be ready. You carry it on an infiltration run or to a meet in a bar where guns are not allowed along with your conceal 10+ armour. Use it when it is the only thing you can use. Have one ready for that time.

Lastly why not at char gen. If I start the game with a contact of a gunsmith or my own skills and tools if I have been in the biz for some time (and everything I read suggests that starting characters are not usually starting runners) why would I not have acquired or built special weapon. Something custom built that a player wants should be assigned an availability rating and if it is below 8 it should be available. It seems silly to create a character that makes guns as a hobby but doesn’t have any of his own work.

The same goes for heavily customised vehicles. Frankly the standard ones suck for most purposes (can you believe loan star dos not use broadcast encryption as standard). Of cause some customisation is all they really need.

All you really need is to be wiling to look t the design and rule yes or no based on your game style.

Edward
Deacon
This thread has really broken into a couple of threads...

First, the gun. It's not just the fact that this piece of ironmongery breaks the standards which worries me. It's going to worry the corps, too. I'd imagine that the possessing shadowrunner's going to take this piece of marvelous technology out onto runs, and he's going to be at least partially visible with it. Now, your ordinary GMs at this point start realizing that the character has given himself the 'Distinctive Style' Flaw for nothing, but it goes deeper than that.

Forget the profiling; the corporations are going to see this weapon, measure its aftermath, and they're going to realize that what the shadowrunner has is -way- better than anything their corpsec goons have. So they're going to try to either reproduce it, or steal it. They're going to find out who this person is and where he got this weapon from. Because obviously it's far better than anything out on the market; the corporation that nabs this design and starts manufacturing is going to make a killing as all the militaries, all the security corps, and all the crazed gun users of the world ditch their old Ares Predators for this baby.

And it's not going to be just one corp after the PC. Other corporations will hear about this, and try to pick the guy up as well, or steal his gun, just to have something that another corporation wants, and that they can trade for gomen. That's how the zaibatsus do business, after all; if Kagetenshu Corp picks the PC up and hands him to Ares, that's a favor Ares owes them. The guy with the gun is setting himself up for a world of hurt, because he's got the gun that beats everything else.

Now, the whole thing about concealability. I've noticed two kinds of players: Those that take pains to conceal their illegals, and those that pop the heads off cops for even daring to suggest a search for illegal items on their person or property. Concealability only exists for one of these groups, and it's not the first one. They're going to do everything they can to maximize the concealability of their illegals, and as a GM, you have to work overtime to even get someone to the point of maybe being able to figure out that they might be hiding something.

So they're going to make their shiny new van look like a piece of crap, just to make sure the cops don't decide to do a spot check -- after all, if it looks like stopping it has a good chance of creating a traffic hazard, the cops are going to leave that car the hell alone. They're going to disassemble the guns, everything that they couldn't be reasonably expected to carry, and hide the parts in different places. They're going to wear somewhat fashionable trenchcoats when it's cool. They're going to get a mage to cast Improved Invisibility on their heavy pistols to get them past a bouncer. The GM may as well not bother, since he's going to have to insert some really high-powered perception dice there where it has no business being.

The other group, well, they don't care, and they're going to carry their Panther Assault Cannons on the bus, and have their vans shiny, new and mounting turret AVM launchers and machine guns. Now, if there's a situation where the concealability might come into play, then they might have to worry -- like if they have to get into a nightclub with mage guards and autoguns backing them up. Then, they'll start worrying about the concealability on their Franchi SPAS-22's and Ares Alphas. But rest assured, they're going to be ready to pop the heads off those guards and blow up the autoguns if they can't get in without their heavy firepower.

What it really comes down to is, as a GM, how much do you want to punish your players? Random searches and getting pulled over for minor infractions sounds to me like the GM just likes to mess with the players. Unless there's a plot-specific reason to pull them over, a GM shouldn't do this. If Lone Star is checking EVERYONE, cool, but if their number just came up, well, remember that there are 5 million vehicles in Seattle; the players' number shouldn't come up again in their lifetimes. If it does, then you're probably messing with your players.
Sandoval Smith
I agree with your second point, but as for the first, why would the corps give a flying fig about the whiz new gun, since it's something that they could just as easily make themselves, even if they didn't happen to have a copy on hand? Anything a player can make, so can a corp, and they have a lot more resources to utilize.

A custom gun like the OP's example would be something hand made, perhaps with the gunsmith creating a set of molds just for its unique design. Cost ineffcieny of design would be one prohibition, and if it has gas vents, smartlink, shockpad, surpressor, etc all built in, that's a lot more work required per piece to assemble. Overall costs will decrease slightly if they start making multiple copies, but there are much better things to spend those nuyen on, such as security guards, or heck, upgrading their existing guards weapons to regular assault rifles. Or some strategically hung monowire. Or more guards. Maybe a barghest.

Ease of acqusition would be another factor. I'd much rather eqiup my sec guards with a nice, battle proven piece out of Ares' Discerning Shootist monthly, than the slow to produce, (even if mighty) doom cannon.
Fortune
Just because the Corp has the facilities to create something doesn't mean they have the inspiration to put the entire thing together in that particular manner. For a real world example, there are lots of decent programmers working for Microsoft, yet they still don't come up with some of the things that little guys in their den work out. Microsoft tends to pounce on the creations of these little guys, usually by throwing money at them, but if that doesn't work, there are other methods. The point being that inspiration is a big part of invention. We have the capability now to do almost anything, yet there will always be another new thing that nobody thought of before, and if there's money to be made in any way from it you can be assured that the Corps (ie big business) will be there.
toturi
OK, so you have Gun Almighty but it cost nuyen.gif many-many. I can see the AAA corps producing a limited edition weapon for their elite security forces but keep to the usual cheap-good-plenty guns for their run-of-mill guards.

Any drek hot decker could have a deck with MPCP>20, but does that mean a corp is going to mass produce THAT monstrosity?
mmu1
QUOTE (Deacon)
First, the gun. It's not just the fact that this piece of ironmongery breaks the standards which worries me. It's going to worry the corps, too. I'd imagine that the possessing shadowrunner's going to take this piece of marvelous technology out onto runs, and he's going to be at least partially visible with it. Now, your ordinary GMs at this point start realizing that the character has given himself the 'Distinctive Style' Flaw for nothing, but it goes deeper than that.

Forget the profiling; the corporations are going to see this weapon, measure its aftermath, and they're going to realize that what the shadowrunner has is -way- better than anything their corpsec goons have. So they're going to try to either reproduce it, or steal it. They're going to find out who this person is and where he got this weapon from. Because obviously it's far better than anything out on the market; the corporation that nabs this design and starts manufacturing is going to make a killing as all the militaries, all the security corps, and all the crazed gun users of the world ditch their old Ares Predators for this baby.

If the runners went around using home-made laser pistols, or explosive rounds that made Ex-EX loook like firecrackers, or something the size of a light pistol that fired guided rounds on full auto, you'd probably have a point.

But all we're talking about here is a heavy pistol that's slightly easier to hide and does slightly more damage than a standard one you can buy for around 1/8th the cost.

It's not going to put the corps out of business any more than the dozens of hot-rod shops out there today have Toyota or GM worried, or even interested.

Fortune
QUOTE (mmu1)
But all we're talking about here is a heavy pistol that's slightly easier to hide and does slightly more damage than a standard one you can buy for around 1/8th the cost.

Ah, but it wouldn't be 8 times the price, once production runs are started. Part of the cost (sometimes a big part) creating the prototype is in the initial R&D phase, which would not be a factor to the Corp. The fact that this is a unique gun with all good points and few, if any drawbacks would in itself create an instant market for the Corp that could mass-produce it.
mmu1
QUOTE (Fortune)
Ah, but it wouldn't be 8 times the price, once production runs are started. Part of the cost (sometimes a big part) creating the prototype is in the initial R&D phase, which would not be a factor to the Corp. The fact that this is a unique gun with all good points and few, if any drawbacks would in itself create an instant market for the Corp that could mass-produce it.

Even if that were the case (and I don't think it is, there's nothing special about this gun, aside from how damn heavy it is... great design there...) the corps would have to know about it.

How do you tell the difference between a power 9 and a power 10 gun? How do you know it's made from ceramics? How do you tell what size the clip is, unless you have the whole shootout on tape, and know the runner never stopped to reload? How do you tell the difference between a concealability 6 Browning MP and this concealability 7 gun, based purely on what bystanders notice during a run?

No one is going to notice, no one is going to care.
Modesitt
I like the idea of copying the –1 conceal per 4 rounds.

This is only vaguely related to the thread at hand.

Compare the heavy pistols in the CC and BBB - In general, every 5 rounds is worth 1 conceal. Morrissey Elite: 7 conceal, 5 rounds. Browning Max Power: 6 conceal, 10 rounds. Ares Predator: 15 rounds, 5 conceal.

Some guns 'bend' this a bit, such as the Colt Manhunter.

You'll note this pattern doesn't hold for non-heavy pistols. The best way would be to make a chart for each type of gun, such as Holdout Pistol, Light Pistol/Machine Pistol, Heavy Pistol, etc. Rule of thumb should be that the higher the power, the fewer rounds it takes to reduce the conceal by 1.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012