Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Go Directly To Jail
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Ancient History
What do you do while in prison? Follow "Sparky's" career!

Manage Your Resources
Maybe Sparky is an unregistered magician, who's turned a shiv into a simple weapon focus and used Tattoo Magic to quicken a few spells on him with some cool prison tats!

Put That Time To Good Use
Prisons are full of people with interesting skills and experiences and lots of time on your hands. With a bit of incentive, you can learn all sorts of little tricks, like Decking, talislegging, and law! Be careful, remember these are the people who got caught!

Meet Friends And Influence People
Sparky went into prison along, now he needs to join a gang. Previous gang affiliation helps, but any connections--especially to the mobs--will make Sparky's life a lot easier! When he's finally a free man again, his gang connections will lean on him, and you bet he'll deliver in case he ever goes back in again!

Add your own.
Stumps
Make quick friends with the resident Troll smasher as to make his aquantence in other means could prove to be quite uncomfortable.

-Like the back of a volkswagon.
Dashifen
Utilize the extensive prison library to study all sorts of interesting stuff: psychology, folklore and mythology, archeaology, spell design, etc. All sorts of knowledge skills could be learned that when one is released can become useful.
BaronJ
Drek, use that prison library, and the copious amounts of free time to earn yourself a nice doctorate degree (Rank:6 in any particular knowledge skill) and a killer bod (Athletics or Bod increase, anyone?)

Everyone knows that modern prisons are there entirely to make faster, stronger, better criminals. That's why most of the 'Star shoot first and get interrogated later... they don't want to face the competition.
Backgammon
QUOTE (Stumps)
Make quick friends with the resident Troll smasher as to make his aquantence in other means could prove to be quite uncomfortable.

-Like the back of a volkswagon.

Especially if said troll has "call me but(t) love" tatooed on his knuckles wobble.gif
Tanka
Prisons don't just churn out "better criminals." Some prisoners take the time to get better at a life skill and drop their criminal acts, even after they leave.
iPad
Most runners are massively more dangerious than any random prisoner, so would probably not have to worry about soap dropping or working alone in the laundry room. Any good runners makes it very hard for the cops to pin anything on them anyway.
kevyn668
QUOTE (iPad)
Most runners are massively more dangerious than any random prisoner, so would probably not have to worry about soap dropping or working alone in the laundry room. Any good runners makes it very hard for the cops to pin anything on them anyway.

Heh. Riiight. Runners that are careful and subtle and paranoid. biggrin.gif

1) Proclaim innocence.
2) Behave and pay your lawyer. Lots.
When that fails...
3) Make friends with the "guy who can get stuff."
4) Ask for a rock hammer
5) Learn math so you can manage the books for the corrupt warden thats too cheap and lazy to hire another (criminal) accountant.
6) Spend nights slowly tunneling out of your cell.
7) Spend days emptying the crushed rock from said cell into the yard. Two pocketfuls at a time.
8 ) Repeat steps 6 and 7 for 20 years.
9) Crawl through 200 meters of raw sewege to freedom. (remember to put "get away" clothes and shoes in bag)
10) Enjoy the spoils of managing the books for the corrupt warden.

Alternately:
1) Throw old character out.
2) Make new character.
3) Rinse, lather, repeat as neccessary until you have learned how to not get caught so much. (maybe watch Ronin a few times...)
Shadow
My Uncle spent 5 years in a prison in Kentucky. He told me to do the following to avoid being anyones woman.

On the first day, during lunch, find the biggest, baddest guy in the joint. Once you have found him, attack him and act insane.

Once you have achieved this either through being beaten to a pulp or through victory you will achieve some respect.

My plan (if for some reason I do go) is to spend the time in solitaire.
iPad
The difference between a shadowrunner and Andy Dufresne is one is innosent and has certain unique savey, the other is guilty of alot of stuff and has the savey of a player.

My player character would just pay for a top notch lawyer or settle out of court. Failing that his maths SPU would make tax returns easy. Alough I think any character with an essence less than four would probably go on a special wing with special explosive cuffs.

BTW what do they actually do with people with illegal cyberware? Remove it?
kevyn668
QUOTE (iPad)
The difference between a shadowrunner and Andy Dufresne is one is innosent and has certain unique savey, the other is guilty of alot of stuff and has the savey of a player.

What? You've never seen the Flaw: Pacifist, Dove Shaman that just "fell in with the wrong crowd." biggrin.gif They seem to be all over the place around here...and always carring a gun (or two), just in case.

The list was joke, obviously, but I guess any runner capable of keeping his nose clean and playing nice should be able to pull off the sham. Then again, if a runner was that good he/she probably wouldn't have gotten caught in the first place...Which is what said to begin with.

BTW what do they actually do with people with illegal cyberware? Remove it?

There's rules somewhere. I think, like most things based in governmental beauracracy (sp), its all about cost effectiveness. If its cheaper to just disable (jackstopper, etc.) they probably go with that. Most of the other stuff that's lethal I think gets removed and I thought there was some obscure reference to sadistic juridictions using surgery to purposely cause essence loss in mages.

Speaking of mages, in AH's first post he mentioned if Sparky was a mage he could use all that time to study. How do they handle mages, exactly? They can't leave the Magemask-thingy on for years at a streatch, can they? Or drugs that reduce the poor sap to a drooling...well, sap, can they?
Shadow
Mags would probably get special prisons. Warded walls, astral guards. Maybe a room with no windows and the the bacteria in the walls to prevent astral. Each mage could have a watcher assigned to it, and if they tried to cast spells or go astral the watcher could let the handler know.

They could have some sort of collar that could zap the mage if he tried to use spell casting. Or maybe they leave the mage mask on 24/7. It isn't exactly in-humane.

What about trolls? You wouldn't them in with the GP. They would run a prison, they are practically invulnerable to non cybered/adept humans.
kevyn668
Shadow
Posted on Nov 16 2004, 07:57 PM

Mags would probably get special prisons. Warded walls, astral guards. Maybe a room with no windows and the the bacteria in the walls to prevent astral.

Ahh, the "Magneato-treatment." Good call.

They could have some sort of collar that could zap the mage if he tried to use spell casting. Or maybe they leave the mage mask on 24/7. It isn't exactly in-humane.

Aren't those the things that can cause insanity from overstimulation? Like the room in The House on Haunted Hill?
Or are they a sense-dep hood and I'm confused?

Good point about the Trolls. Even cybered/adept norms would have a pretty tough time with just the Sprawl Ganger archtype from the BBB (assuming no firearms and even then...)

What's the pay rate for a CO in the Troll wing of Oz?
Shadow
You could put a mage in a ruthium pollymer type hood, but instead of making his head invisible, it projects whats on the outside of the mask, to the inside. Since it is electronic magnification he would be unable to cast spells through it.

Damn thats a good idea.
iPad
QUOTE (Shadow)
You could put a mage in a ruthium pollymer type hood, but instead of making his head invisible, it projects whats on the outside of the mask, to the inside. Since it is electronic magnification he would be unable to cast spells through it.

Damn thats a good idea.

A cheaper option would be a set of vid goggles and a microcam built into each side, and a 10S electro shocker built in if anyone tampers with it.

Also there is a drug which makes it impossible to concentrate (+10 to all target numbers).
kevyn668
QUOTE (Shadow)

Damn thats a good idea.

Pure genuis. notworthy.gif

Better write that baby down and snail mail it to yourself until you can tell FanPro. smile.gif
Crimson Jack
Depending on how strong your chummers were, I'd consider having my character plan to bust me out (also depending on how long the stint is). If its a matter of something less than a year, I'd probably do the self betterment thing for my character.

Guess it would be a good time to build a new character and utilize the character pool idea.
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (kevyn668)
QUOTE (Shadow)

Damn thats a good idea.

Pure genuis. notworthy.gif

Better write that baby down and snail mail it to yourself until you can tell FanPro. smile.gif

Is it? I thought ruthenium requires light to work correctly. By this rationale, it would be far better to just put a black sack over the mage's head, no?
kevyn668
I like the goggles idea too. Especially from a cost effective point of view. You could still use the ruthenium thing if your running high tech/high level group. To go you one better, you could ship your magically active prisoners off world (a la Fortress II).
Crimson Jack
Heh, space prison. biggrin.gif
Shadow
You could but that would be inhumane. A ruthyium would let the mage walk around and interact with virtually no impact other than he cant cast spells.
Fortune
It isn't really inhumane. If the mage insists on opening himself up to the Astral, that isn't the (space) prison's fault.
kevyn668
I think he ment the sack.
Syndicate
Ah, Prison...there's a lot to be said about prison, but the most interesting thread that showed up was what would happen to magically active prisoners...you better
believe that the gov will do all it can to make the mage/shaman/adept-whatever "see the light" and work for them...afterall, magicians being such a rarity they are highly sought after prizes, much like the "hackers" of the nineties..you know, those 16 year old kids who hacked AT&T or the Pentagon and got nabbed, only to be offered "consulting" jobs afterward by their captors.

As for the rest of us mundane-types, Prison is a rampant testing ground (today) of psychological warfare strategies (like the women's prison in Lexington, KY that got shut down by Congressional order when it was revealed that political prisoners were being tortured with mind-control tactics to see if their minds could be "changed"). The prison industry is the fastest growing industry in the United States (at least it was in '99). The trend now is privatization, where corps take over the prison and turn it into a sweat shop. Anyone like a shadowrunner caught by the gov or the corp or whomever would be far too valuable to be put into a sweat shop....that's where all those low-level thugs go, the typically black youths.

You'd better believe that they'd be out on work-release real quick....
kevyn668
As of last year, the largest growing employer area is higher education. I guess that's a good sign...
Shadow
QUOTE (kevyn668)
I think he ment the sack.

I did. Thrwoing a black sack over someones head for 10 years would not be humane.

A prison in space would do the job but it seems an awful spendy solution.
Kanada Ten
SotA64 mentions a prison built by Mitsuhama which they placed upon a mana-warp. I suspect, especially since the Kilimanjaro Solution, that the corps will be building more such prisons using powerful magic to create such magic poisoned zones. The poster mentions the prolonged effects of exposure to the warp, which, as one might expect, are unpleasant.
Shadow
Thats harsh. My idea is a lot cheaper. Though a good point was brought up. If only 1% of the pop is magically active... how many prisoners are you going to have that are mages? can't imagine many.
Kanada Ten
There are currently 2 million Americans in prison. That's about 20,000 awakened when magic comes back - and I don't buy into a "less will fall into crime" mentality, not in SR anyway. Besides, you also want to make it harder for magic to be used in jail breaks, which a mana-warp certainly does. Building a prison where you've performed massive magical rituals is cheaper than using a single ward and maintaining it. It's dual purpose: otherwise poisoned land is now "marked" and performing revenue generating services. You can actually hire mundane guards for the prison and yet charge full awakened incarceration prices.
Sabosect
You could just replace their eyes with cyber eyes using elctronic magnification or specifically designed to not allow magic...
Kanada Ten
You could just replace their eyes with cyber eyes using elctronic magnification or specifically designed to not allow magic...

Which would defeat touch based and "blind fire" elemental manipulations in what way? It's actually cheaper to install a datajack than cybereyes and just run a simsense loop.
kevyn668
QUOTE (Shadow)
Thats harsh. My idea is a lot cheaper. Though a good point was brought up. If only 1% of the pop is magically active... how many prisoners are you going to have that are mages? can't imagine many.

The numbers of the situation seem to indicate that it just might be cost effective to build a prison specifically for mages, even if its in outer space. Not mention its a cool plot hook. cool.gif

Whats this about the Kilimanjaro Solution?
Edward
Most cyber can be disabled with minor surgery. Exceptions include boosted reflexes (irreversible treatment), bone lacing (its passive material in your bones) and much bio wear. Some items would not be bothered with, smart links re useless in the clink (where are you going to get a gun. The guards all have smart link ID systems. Also any non combat cyber (even tactical computers) would likely not be bothered with, communications cyber would be disabled however.

I created a character with a police record flaw. And he was ex TRG (Australian SWAT). We worked out what could be turned of and what couldn’t. he was being dosed with the drug that reduces your initiative dice and he was still about 8+3d6 initiative with 8 or 9 body dice to resist damage good unarmed combat so the GM decided the ex cop was sent to general population. Trouble makers where quietly told to make a mess of him and in a few weeks he was left a lone and the prison officials had several less trouble makers. The prison officials did not bother to take action against my character because they didn’t want to draw attention to the fact that they had put a cop (or somebody still that dangerous) in general population. Got to love a corrupt privet prison. He still got out early based on good behaviour.

On the subject of awakened criminals.

If 1% of the population is awakened less than 1% of prisoners will be. Wether you want to admit it or not a fare portion of prisoners had some difficulty making the level of income thy wanted legitimately so they turned to crime purely for the money. Any awakened person can get a very good job just by tuning up to any corporation or government and asking. He will reserve training and employment for the rest of your life. Some don’t want to do this but it is not an option to many of the mundanes. Of cause there will still be enough to warrant special consideration for them.

Edward
kevyn668
Edward
Posted on Nov 16 2004, 11:36 PM
Most cyber can be disabled with minor surgery. Exceptions include boosted reflexes (irreversible treatment), bone lacing (its passive material in your bones) and much bio wear. Some items would not be bothered with, smart links re useless in the clink (where are you going to get a gun. The guards all have smart link ID systems.)

Standard guards don't carry firearms.

I created a character with a police record flaw. And he was ex TRG (Australian SWAT). We worked out what could be turned of and what couldn’t. he was being dosed with the drug that reduces your initiative dice and he was still about 8+3d6 initiative with 8 or 9 body dice to resist damage good unarmed combat

No offense, but I find it hard to believe that any governing body would let someone like that have free reign in a prison. An initiative of 8+3d6 and a body of 8 or 9 is pretty close to superhuman.

the GM decided the ex cop was sent to general population. Trouble makers where quietly told to make a mess of him and in a few weeks he was left a lone and the prison officials had several less trouble makers. The prison officials did not bother to take action against my character because they didn’t want to draw attention to the fact that they had put a cop (or somebody still that dangerous) in general population.

Okay, I guess that scans in the SR world...

He still got out early based on good behaviour.

If 1% of the population is awakened less than 1% of prisoners will be. Wether you want to admit it or not a fare portion of prisoners had some difficulty making the level of income thy wanted legitimately so they turned to crime purely for the money. Any awakened person can get a very good job just by tuning up to any corporation or government and asking. He will reserve training and employment for the rest of your life. Some don’t want to do this but it is not an option to many of the mundanes. Of cause there will still be enough to warrant special consideration for them.

Not sure about that one. If corporate/government life is so great almost all shadowrunners would be norms. Its been pretty well established that SR players happily ignore the population stats if it suits a character concept (how many SR groups have at least 1 magically active runner, if not more?).

I'd be far more inclined to believe that mage types would be "invited" to work for a government agency a la "Point of No Return" or "Le Fem Nakita" (but only the tough chic version in the film).
TheBovrilMonkey
That's about 20,000 awakened when magic comes back - and I don't buy into a "less will fall into crime" mentality, not in SR anyway.

I got the impression that children would be tested at school for any chance of awakening, then inducted into corporate training programs.
With stuff like that happening I'd reckon that a large proportion of mages would be sat somewhere in a facility somewhere being paid, rather than turning to crime to pay the bills. In fact, they're probably being paid rather well considering their extremely rare talents.

Obviously the people who suddenly awaken when the magic arrives could still be criminals, but I think the sudden fear of dangerous magic would probably drastically reduce the number of people who go around casting manabolts here, there and everywhere.
Sabosect
However, I would say that, at most, only a third are mages. There's also adepts and shamans.
kevyn668
QUOTE (TheBovrilMonkey)
That's about 20,000 awakened when magic comes back - and I don't buy into a "less will fall into crime" mentality, not in SR anyway.

I got the impression that children are tested at school for any chance of awakening, then inducted into corporate training programs.
With stuff like that happening I'd reckon that a large proportion of mages would be sat somewhere in a facility somewhere being paid, rather than turning to crime to pay the bills. In fact, they're probably being paid rather well considering their extremely rare talents.

Except the SINless. Who don't go to school.
Kanada Ten

I'm sure people rape other people for money. I'm sure that well paid corporate executives never commit crime. And I'm sure that those 20,000 people with the Talent that were in prison when the Awakening occurred were suddenly offered normal jobs to which they acclimated perfectly. And no one ever commits crimes of passion, especially when you don't even have to pick up a weapon to do so. And no one loses the value if life and turns away from the corporation to drugs, cults, and crime. I'm sure those Talented that Goblinized and were herded into warehouses have forgiven everything and that racism yielded to profits for both sides.

Actually, I think that 99% of crime has nothing to do with need at all.
Edward
He still got out early based on good behaviour.

well he didn’t do anything wrong after the first few weeks.

Not sure about that one. If corporate/government life is so great almost all shadowrunners would be norms. Its been pretty well established that SR players happily ignore the population stats if it suits a character concept (how many SR groups have at least 1 magically active runner, if not more?).

I'd be far more inclined to believe that mage types would be "invited" to work for a government agency a la "Point of No Return" or "Le Fem Nakita" (but only the tough chic version in the film).

Break down the population into for categories.

1) Can get corporate work and want corporate work.
2) Can get but do not want corporate work.
3) Want but can not get corporate work.
4) Do not want and can not get corporate work.

Considering the corporate desire for magical talent every mage will be in category 1 or 2.

The slums are not a nice place to live for most people. Although there are stubborn, ideological or stupid individuals most of the lower levels of society would happily trade in there life of committing petty crime to put low grade food like substance on the table and keep a leaky roof over there heads (squatter lifestyle) for a regular wage and stuff that resembles real food (low lifestyle with the prospect of improvement).

Any mage in that situation would be able to walk into the office of his favored (least hated) corporation and sign up. He would immediately be given a low lifestyle apartment and training with better lifestyle to come when he is doing something useful.

Alternatively he would dislike the idea of serving a corporation sufficiently to find a street mage to apprentice him and turn to a life of higher crime and higher risk for better pay. The life of a shadow runner.

A mundane in the same situation might want to sign up at a corporation for low risk reliable food and shelter but be unable to offer the corporation any useful skills. Un skilled laborers without magical talent are a dime a dozen. So they turn to gangs organized crime or shadow running to by a better life for themselves weather they where wiling to join the ranks of the wage slaves or not.

Realistically most shadow runner teems do not have a magical in them (this would e true even if 1% of shadow runners where magical) but we are playing a game we want to be fun so we allow almost ever teem we play to be an exception to that rule.

Edward
Edward
QUOTE (kevyn668)
QUOTE (TheBovrilMonkey @ Nov 17 2004, 12:18 AM)

I got the impression that children are tested at school for any chance of awakening, then inducted into corporate training programs.

Except the SINless. Who don't go to school.

Probably true but some will dislike the strictures they are placed under (mostly shamans but others as well), some will be missed (what perception dice dose the assessing magician have anyway).

As to the SINles. I would not be surprised to see mages wandering the barrens (well and subtly protected) looking for street waifs with talent to rescue.

Edward
TheBovrilMonkey

Actually, I think that the people who awaken in prison would very soon become test subjects for whichever corp pays the prison the most money.

Yes, they're awakened, but how many of them are going to be able to cast a decent spell without being taught it? Come to think of it, how many of them (excepting shamans who get paid a dream visit by their totem) would even know what they're capable of?

Admittedly I imagine that with emotions running high in a prison some of them would spontaneously cast something low level, but I doubt they'd all suddenly start throwing around fireballs left and right.

All it'd take would be some bright corp exec to realise that anyone could awaken and they'd be shipped out pretty damned quick.
Shadow
I think saying 20k people in jail will be awakened because thats %1 of the pop is awakened seems unlikely.

People with magic who commit crimes are probably less likely to go to prison. The nature of magic making it easier for them to illude capture. At least IMHO.
Ol' Scratch
...not to mention less likely to risk time in jail considering many of them can earn big bucks without even breaking a sweat.

"Let's see, murder some guy with a manaball after a week or two of intel and setting up an ambush for 5,000¥ and risk a death sentence in prison, OR take a cozy job creating wards at 10,000¥ a day in order to live a life of luxury... Ooh, decisions, decisions."
Sabosect
Sadly, most don't get approached with the option of those cushy jobs. Plus, we still have a problem with individuals choosing to make their own choices.
hyzmarca
The best solution would be to put all the prisoners in tiny stacked cubicles, about 7' x 2' x 1' , smaller for dwarves and larger for trolls. Give them an IV drip and a trode rig connected to a central server. Less spent on food, less spent on space, and the prisoners still get the same experience, no need for more than 2 guards, a nurse, and on call computer technician. It works for mages, physads, cybered, and mundanes alike. Only otaku would present any problem.
DocMortand
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
The best solution would be to put all the prisoners in tiny stacked cubicles, about 7' x 2' x 1' , smaller for dwarves and larger for trolls. Give them an IV drip and a trode rig connected to a central server. Less spent on food, less spent on space, and the prisoners still get the same experience, no need for more than 2 guards, a nurse, and on call computer technician. It works for mages, physads, cybered, and mundanes alike. Only otaku would present any problem.

Of course, you were going to power all of this by using the prisoner's bodies as a battery?

The matrix has you.
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Only otaku would present any problem.

Otaku can't break their way out of a cardboard box, so just keep a little room on the side (nothing more technologically advanced than cement) to throw them in.

On second thought, otaku are usually minors, so they may not even get a chance to go to real prison unless their activities killed someone. Stick them in a dorm with 50 other kids who got there for less elegant crimes. Either you have just created the next generation of terrifying shadowrunners, or the otaku will never deal with humanity again.
ES_Riddle
QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ Nov 16 2004, 10:11 PM)

Which would defeat touch based and "blind fire" elemental manipulations in what way? It's actually cheaper to install a datajack than cybereyes and just run a simsense loop.

Elemental manipulations still require the mage to see her target, but you're right about the cybereyes idea having problems. I think cybereyes with permanent electronic magnification is a pretty unusual punishment since they are going to have to be magnifying all the time to prevent magic. It also would fail to prevent a mage from astrally perceiving and then shooting physical spells using the auras to target them. The simsense loop might have that same problem, I'm not sure what happens to a mage who decides that going astral is a good idea when he's jacked in.

The ruthie hood/video goggles ideas are much cheaper and more effective solutions. Since they are opaque barriers, they will prevent someone from flashing astral to powerbolt a guard. They are fairly cheap and they're humane enough to avoid lawsuits if someone's appeal goes through. The whole problem still comes down to touch spells, but there are few of those that are actually dangerous and in widespread use (assuming my group is typical). It is a good question about what they would do with the mage in that situation.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
Stick them in a dorm with 50 other kids who got there for less elegant crimes. Either you have just created the next generation of terrifying shadowrunners, or the otaku will never deal with humanity again.

While I don't actually know what the security is like in juvenile hall, I doubt it would be much of a barrier to a typical Otaku (with Intelligence 5 or higher and the knowledge from pretty much living on the streets all their life).

~J
Edward
[QUOTE] Sadly, most don't get approached with the option of those cushy jobs. Plus, we still have a problem with individuals choosing to make their own choices.[QUOTE]

Even if you want to be your own boss a mage has it made. Throw an add in the local rag advertising wards charge 90 nuyen an hour 60 hous a month will pay for medium life style. If you want to stay off the system for some reason sell wards or watcher spirit patrols to criminals (ever bothered to ward your dos as a shadow runner. I am thinking of doing this)

As to the otaku in juvenile hall. They will not be able to bypass security because the lock controls will not be assessable. The cameras will show that somebody is tampering with an access panel and security will show up and drag him of to whatever they do to kids that try to break out.

Edward
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012