Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hydraulic Jacks: ECU Cost?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Cray74
The ECU Cost of Hydraulic Jacks is 4+0.5/rating point. Okay.

Is that per cyberleg, or total?
GaiasWrath8
per leg. Sorry
Cray74
QUOTE (GaiasWrath8)
per leg. Sorry

Was that errata'd, or otherwise spelled out in some rule book?
Fortune
As far as I know, unless otherwise specified, ECU costs are for the entire implant (as are the listed Essence and monetary costs).
Ol' Scratch
Let's put it this way. It doesn't make any sense for it to apply to both legs since no other ECU costs are handled that way. If it were, you could put all 4 ECU into a single leg and fill the other to the brim without "wasting" any space since, afterall, you already paid your 4 ECU off and nothing says that you have to split it evenly between two legs (because the assumption is that's the cost per leg).

Considering that it's also a more intensive system than a mere Telescoping Limb (which is 3 ECU per limb), 4 ECU per limb is completely rationale.
Fortune
Fair enough. smile.gif
Cray74
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Considering that it's also a more intensive system than a mere Telescoping Limb (which is 3 ECU per limb), 4 ECU per limb is completely rationale.

Actually, it's closer to 6 or 6.5 ECU for hydraulic jacks of high rating. That really chews up the elbow room on synthetic limbs.

Ol' Scratch
That's the price you pay for the advantage. Quit your bitching. biggrin.gif
Cray74
That's the price you pay for the advantage. Quit your bitching. biggrin.gif

It's not that much of an advantage, not 6.5 ECU worth. nyahnyah.gif
Buzzed
Actually we already had this discussion. It is for both legs. It is called Hydraulic Jacks not Hydraulic Jack.

The S means plural.
Cray74
QUOTE (Buzzed)
Actually we already had this discussion. It is for both legs. It is called Hydraulic Jacks not Hydraulic Jack.

The S means plural.

Sure. Where is that discussion? The search feature doesn't turn up a lot of threads on hydraulic jacks.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Cray74 @ Nov 24 2004, 12:42 PM)
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Nov 24 2004, 04:10 PM)
That's the price you pay for the advantage.  Quit your bitching. biggrin.gif

It's not that much of an advantage, not 6.5 ECU worth. nyahnyah.gif

Considering it takes 5 ECU per limb just to get a +1 Armor bonus, I'd say it's about right. Sure, there's better stuff you could do with all that ECU, but that doesn't mean it should take up less ECU in and of itself... especially considering it takes up over 1 point of Essence on its own as a regular implant. Hell, even Retractable Cyberskates take up nearly as much ECU.
Rev
Cyberskates, retractable climbing claws, retractable fingertip razors (whatever those are called smile.gif), and foot anchor are all mods that by default apply to a pair of limbs. All of these have one EC value listed and nowhere does it say that it is per limb.

Several others (magnetic system, shock hand, cyber fins) specify per limb.

The table in the back of m&m says that the EC is for the enhancement whereas the note for cyberlimb EC space says it is per limb.

Thus I think that the EC costs for the first set are for the entire system, or both limbs just like the essence and newyen costs.

In my opinion it is a very good idea to require that the EC cost of the first set be split evenly between the two limbs, and to allow them to be split into two parts (eg a persom might have one cyber arm and have climbing claws installed by having half of it installed in the cyberhand and the other half in the flesh hand).
Ol' Scratch
You're free to do whatever you like, as always, but it's pretty bleeding obvious that it applies per limb if for no other reason than that there are no rules whatsoever for splitting ECU between multiple limbs.

As mentioned before, a Telescoping Limb is 3 ECU and a base Hydraulic Jack is 4 ECU; considering a Hydraulic Jack is very similar to a Telescoping Limb just with independant strength and shock absorbers thrown in -- the description for them even *says* that they're extensive implants -- that's just about right. To say that 's actually 2/2 is just poor reasoning. 2 ECU is *not* an extensive modification. A pistol takes up more space than that.

But, again, do whatever tickles your fancy in your games.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Cray74)
QUOTE (Buzzed @ Nov 24 2004, 07:35 PM)

The S means plural.

Sure. Where is that discussion? The search feature doesn't turn up a lot of threads on hydraulic jacks.

I believe in MM there is something that says these types of modifications must be taken for each leg. There are others that have this requirement too, but your can get Individual CyberLegs/Limbs but can suffer from unbalanced Quickness and Stregnth.

HJ5 does give you and extra 5 dice for Athletics (running) tests (and for Stealth for some reason), so with a base skill of 6, that's 11 dice to improve your running movement. With a Q=6 and say 5 successes that's a 11 for the purposes for running, 17 max, that's alot of ground to cover (5.8 m/s compared to your regular 2.0 m/s).

Also helps with jumping distance (+20 to max distance per level) so a HJ5 would offer +100% running-jump distance (Q=6, then maxJump=12).

There is worse cyberware.
Rev
Shrug, if drfunk is correct the table in the back of m&m has several columns that refer to the entire system, and one that refers to half of the system while specifically noting that the ec refers to the enhancement and not noting that it is per limb, the ec costs table on pg 36 redundently specifies that cyberfins are per limb, the description of the magnetic system redundantly says it is per limb, several other mods are incorrectly refered to in the plural in various places, and the foot anchor mod which the description says is primarily intended for cyberfeet can not even fit into obvious cyberfeet and should have said cyberlegs. Bleeding obvious, eh?

Grinder find the rule, I happen to have the book with me so I looked for one and did not find it.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Rev)
Grinder find the rule, I happen to have the book with me so I looked for one and did not find it.

I've been frustrated too with the lack of consistant use for pluralism with referring to CyberLimb(s) and gear that goes in it. Honestly, we rarely used CyberLimbs until SR3 so I going off what I thought I remembered reading.

I'll have to check it out at home and get back to you, but I could be mistaken.
Cray74
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
I'll have to check it out at home and get back to you, but I could be mistaken.

Well, no rush, it's going to be a while before the "jacked up" (har har) character is used, but the research on your part would be appreciated.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Rev @ Nov 24 2004, 04:51 PM)
Shrug, if drfunk is correct the table in the back of m&m has several columns that refer to the entire system, and one that refers to half of the system while specifically noting that the ec refers to the enhancement and not noting that it is per limb, the ec costs table on pg 36 redundently specifies that cyberfins are per limb, the description of the magnetic system redundantly says it is per limb, several other mods are incorrectly refered to in the plural in various places,  and the foot anchor mod which the description says is primarily intended for cyberfeet can not even fit into obvious cyberfeet and should have said cyberlegs.  Bleeding obvious, eh?

The rules never state it specifically. It's simple logic. Yes, purchase of the implant may imply that it applies to multiple limbs, but that doesn't mean it doesn't count against the ECU of each limb. Especially since -- stay with me one more time -- there are no rules for splitting ECU between multiple limbs. Your assuption that you split them evenly between the limbs has even less backing it up.

Let's look at some of the other implants that obviously come in pairs and see how they fare.

Cyberskates: 4 ECU for the retractable pair, which is the same space requirement as a Cyberholster. Considering skates are about the same size as a pistol (if not a touch bigger) and that it also includes all the retraction and bracing hardware for the implant, 4 ECU is about right per limb. 2 ECU would be wholly inappropriate.

Retractable Climbing Claws: While similar to Hand Razors, Climbing Claws are designed so that they can help you hold your entire body weight. Logically, that means it comes with quite a bit more reinforcing for the fingers and hands housing the claws that simple Hand Razors. Retractable Hand Razors are only 0.5 ECU per limb, whereas the next step up -- Retractable Hand Blades -- are 1.0 ECU per limb, it's not a big stretch to assume that Retractable Climbing Claws are closer to the 1.0 ECU end of the spectrum. And lo' and behold, look at that... they are.

So, since those two make perfect sense at its listed book rating per limb, and the ECU rating for Hydraulic Jacks make sense on a per limb rating (4-6 makes sense, 2-3 does not)... and since, once again, the rules never once even hint that ECU limits are ever listed in pairs and that you have to split them up between limbs... well, Occam's Razor.

Oh, as a side note, Foot Anchors and Hand Razors (retractable or not) are not bought in pairs. Technically, neither are Climbing Claws, which would explain why they're not mentioned as (per limb) on the ECU table.
Ol' Scratch
Now that I think about it, the rules for Hydraulic Jacks never state that they're a paired implant, either, even though the context suggests as much.

Then there's also the fact that you can have only one Cyberleg and still get Hydraulic Jacks installed, yet the rules make no mention of that being a problem or how to resolve the situation (in Essence OR ECU ratings). Since they don't, one can argue that either 1) you don't actually need a pair or 2) that they, too, are listed across the board [Essence, cost, and ECU wise] on a per limb basis by default.
Rev
"Hydraulic jacks require extensive and obvious modification to the legs, making them most common among those with cyberlegs. Hydraulic jacks greatly increase the maximum...

A charachter equipped with hydraulic jacks adds ... Add a number of dice equal to the jacks'...
If a character can manage to land on his feet, hydraulic jacks..."

To be consistent if you think the EC cost is per limb then the non-cyberlimb hydraulic jack is .75 +0.25*rating essence per limb: worse than an entire cyberlimb. Luckily only one limb is needed to get the bonuses, as two are not specified. (Except of course in that they are everywhere refered to in the plural).

Similarly you only need climbing claws on one hand to get -2t# to all climbing.

To be silly one cyberskate lets you skate.

Assuming the authors just have sticky 's' keys or some version of turetts syndrome leading to unintended pluralization.

Anyhow I have better things to do than continue this.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Rev)
To be consistent if you think the EC cost is per limb then the non-cyberlimb hydraulic jack is .75 +0.25*rating essence per limb: worse than an entire cyberlimb. Luckily only one limb is needed to get the bonuses, as two are not specified. (Except of course in that they are everywhere refered to in the plural).

I said it was arguable, not that I was defending that point of view. But I don't see you pointing out the other inconsistencies, like what the Essence cost is for only having it install in a single meat leg and a single cyberleg. Or what? Does that mean you have to admit that the author didn't even think of that when putting the rules together? Or is your argument so weak that you're simply going to continue to ignore it?

There's two -- count 'em, two -- implants that function this way. Both make complete and total sense at their listed ECU ratings per limb, but are woefully undervalued if they're supposed to be split in half and equally distributed between multiple limbs (which, once again, has no backing or precedence whatsoever anywhere in the rules).

Similarly you only need climbing claws on one hand to get -2t# to all climbing.

That's very likely the case. You'll note that the Damage Code they list is a base Damage Code, much like the case for Hand Razors. But, just like Hand Razors, you still have to buy them in pairs if you want them in both hands. In fact, you get a bonus to your Damage Code when you do. But I'm sure you'll continue to ignore that point, too.

Oh, but in case you don't ignore it and instead go spouting off with your "they're using plural terms!" spiel, a "climbing claw" would be a single talon on a single finger, not all of the claws of an entire hand.

To be silly one cyberskate lets you skate.

Nice bit of work there completely ignoring the logic above. Gotta love anyone who's entire argument revolves around "they used an S!!!" and little else. No logic. No solution for the one cyberleg bit. Nothing. Just "they used an S!!!"

Anyhow I have better things to do than continue this.

Ah. In that case, good riddance. wavey.gif
Tarantula
QUOTE (M&M pg 36)
Hydraulic Jacks ECU: 4 + .5/rating Essence Cost: .25 Concealability Modifier: -3

Thats what is in the table for adding hydraulic jacks to someone who already has cyberlegs. Now, for those who argue that its 6.5 PER LEG for level 5 jacks, then is it also .25 essence per leg? Totalling .5 essence to get the modification? I don't think so, it says a straight .25 essence cost to get them, period. That means for both legs. Which says that the 6.5 ECU is also for both legs, and thusly is 3.25 per leg.

Note: Sorry about bringing this back from the recently deceased, but I'm making a character that this becomes rather crucial to know in.
toturi
Use them as you wish, Tarantula. But the prevailing opinion is that the ECU and Essense cost are for a single limb.

If your GM allows, go for it. But it is going to be opening one hell of a can of worms.
Tarantula
Cyberskates: 4 ECU for the retractable pair, which is the same space requirement as a Cyberholster. Considering skates are about the same size as a pistol (if not a touch bigger) and that it also includes all the retraction and bracing hardware for the implant, 4 ECU is about right per limb. 2 ECU would be wholly inappropriate.

As you said, 4 ECU for the pair. Same space as a cyber holster. You just said that both skates should take up the same amount of space as 1 holster. Considering that the holster also slides the weapon out and into your hand for you, I'd agree. Now, for both skates to take up the same space as a holster, you have to..... SPLIT THE ECU. You just disagreed with yourself. Also note that a computer takes up 3 ECU, and a cyberdeck 5.

Heres a different arguement for hydraulic jacks.

Compare them to other cyberware. I'll use flex hands. "This modification replaces most of the bones in the hands with a" blah blah blah. Now, flex hands does both hands, yes? Now, the essence for this covers having it done to both hands right? Think of some cyberware being you have this or you don't. And others being specified per limb or not. A cyberleg is per limb, as you can get up to two of them. Flex hands is you have it, or you don't, as having it puts it in both hands, or none, there is no in between.

The same is with hydraulic jacks. You have it, or you don't. It goes in both legs, or none. If you have 1 real leg, and 1 cyber leg, half the costs of both, and do it that way. If you have two cyberlegs, thats the total between them. If you have 2 real legs, thats the total between them. At least, thats how I see it.
toturi
Actually I think he meant a single skate is about the size of a pistol. Therefore it makes sense to have 4 ECU for the pair of retract skates.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Tarantula)
As you said, 4 ECU for the pair. Same space as a cyber holster. You just said that both skates should take up the same amount of space as 1 holster.

No, "skates" can be used for the singular, too (hence "pair of skates"), and that was the way I was using it. A single skate (better?) is roughly the same size as a pistol. A single cyberholster takes up 4 ECU. A single cyberskate, complete with the retraction and housing mechanisms, should/does take up 4 ECU per limb, just like cyberholsters do.

Compare them to other cyberware. I'll use flex hands. "This modification replaces most of the bones in the hands with a" blah blah blah. Now, flex hands does both hands, yes? Now, the essence for this covers having it done to both hands right? Think of some cyberware being you have this or you don't. And others being specified per limb or not. A cyberleg is per limb, as you can get up to two of them. Flex hands is you have it, or you don't, as having it puts it in both hands, or none, there is no in between.

I never said otherwise, though in this case it's a moot point since Flex Hands are apparently unavailable as accessories for cyberhands.

However, I think you missed my original point. I agree that the costs (for Essence and nuyen) include the entire set. The amount of ECU, however, obliviously (when compared to the requirements of other similarly-sized options) are dependant on each limb. There is NO precedent whatsoever in the rules that even hints that you split ECU costs between multiple limbs. There ARE examples of per limb ECU ratings when dealing with implants that come in pairs, however. The rules never state one way or the other, but I prefer to side with logic rather than cheesiness.

If you want to accept that an EXTENSIVE (it's right there in the description) and MASSIVE reinforcement of the entire limb, including the addition of an entire hydraulic system, shock absorbers, and a system similar to a Telescopic Limb should only take up a piddly 2-3 ECU per limb while a Telescopic Limb alone takes up 3 ECU per limb, that's your perorgative. You'll just be one of those players who rapes the rules just so you can cram some other tinker toy into your limbs. Knock yourself out. I couldn't care less as it won't have any affect on my games or my playing style. So have a blast.

I think it's silly anyway. Hydraulic Jacks are amongst the lamest implants in the game, and the Essence, cash, and ECU could be spent on far more interesting and useful things. But... whatever.
Tarantula
I think it's silly anyway. Hydraulic Jacks are amongst the lamest implants in the game, and the Essence, cash, and ECU could be spent on far more interesting and useful things. But... whatever.

Other than the fact that MUCH of the "extensive" reinforcing now no longer needs to be done because your legs are metal, this is another reason to rule for the 2.25-3.25 range of ECU cost for the jacks per limb. They aren't that good, this helps make the cost of putting them in manageable.
Ol' Scratch
Once again: Have a blast cheesing out. You're the one who has to live with the decision.
Cray74
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Nov 29 2004, 08:59 AM)
Once again:  Have a blast cheesing out.  You're the one who has to live with the decision.

LOL! smile.gif

I don't particularly see hydraulic jacks as cheesy at 3.25ECU/limb. It's not like hydraulic jacks will let the runner suddenly slaughter security guards faster than ever. The main improvement in runner firepower came initiative enhancements and the smart link. Hydraulic jacks are good for jumping and falling.

And, maybe this is specific to the games I'm in, but I don't recall a single jump requiring an Athletics test in the past dozen sessions. Hydraulic jacks are an expensive fluff item.
Tarantula
QUOTE (Cray74)
I don't particularly see hydraulic jacks as cheesy at 3.25ECU/limb. It's not like hydraulic jacks will let the runner suddenly slaughter security guards faster than ever. The main improvement in runner firepower came initiative enhancements and the smart link. Hydraulic jacks are good for jumping and falling.

And, maybe this is specific to the games I'm in, but I don't recall a single jump requiring an Athletics test in the past dozen sessions. Hydraulic jacks are an expensive fluff item.

Thank you for at least making me feel not utterly crazy. I agree, bonus to jumping and such is not worth 6.5 ECU a leg. Thats a total of 13 ECU. Cannonly, thats as much space as 2 medkits and a heavy pistol. Bit much isn't it?
toturi
No, it isn't. It is only 6.5 ECU per leg only if you boosted the ratings of the hydraulic jack, otherwise, it is smaller.
Tarantula
QUOTE (toturi)
No, it isn't. It is only 6.5 ECU per leg only if you boosted the ratings of the hydraulic jack, otherwise, it is smaller.

True, for a rating 1 jack it would be 4.5/leg totalling 9, enough for a medkit, heavy pistol, and a knife.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Cray74)
It's not like hydraulic jacks will let the runner suddenly slaughter security guards faster than ever. The main improvement in runner firepower came initiative enhancements and the smart link. Hydraulic jacks are good for jumping and falling.

You won't see me argue that. In fact, I haven't -- even pointed out that they're not worth their values (ECU or otherwise). That doesn't change the fact that the implant, as described, requires a lot of space and modification to the limbs... far more than a piddly 3 ECU.

The cheesiness that I was talking about wasn't aimed towards the implant, but trying to "cheat" the rules so you can cram more than you should into your limbs. Yes, Hydraulic Jacks suck. No, that doesn't mean you should ignore the consequences of their installation because of that (especially since this is one of the reasons why Hydraulic Jacks suck).

If you want to look at it from a value point of view, you're exchanging a little more than half the ECU of your synthetic legs (and only a fraction if you put 'em in obvious legs) for the huge Essence cost they normally suck up. In that sense, they're a bargain.

But no matter how you look at it -- ECU or Essence -- they still bite the big one compared to their benefits. Doesn't mean you should be able to get them at a steal just because you're putting them in cyberlegs, though, anymore than you should say that you should split the Essence in half because you're installing them in two legs.

QUOTE (Tarantula)
True, for a rating 1 jack it would be 4.5/leg totalling 9, enough for a medkit, heavy pistol, and a knife.

A pair of cyberholsters take up enough space for a complete off-the shelf and unmodified cyberdeck and a heavy pistol, too. A pair of cyberarm gyromounts take up the same amount of space. So what's your point? That some implants take up more ECU than others? Who woulda thunk that?
Tarantula
I'm just saying, that a LOT of the extensive bracing and reinforcing of the modification doesn't need to be done anymore because of the fact that your legs are now completely cyber. Because of that, 3 ECU or so DOES make sense for adding some small hydraulics into them. How could you possibly brace a metal leg better with more metal? I'd say the hydraulic part of the system (which is about all you're installing when you put it in a cyberleg) is around the size of a heavy pistol, or 3 ECU per leg. I.E. splitting the ECU cost.
Ol' Scratch
No, they still require extensive modifications. Standard cyberlegs are not designed to turn you into a leaping fool anymore than meat legs are; at best they give you +2 Body to resist the damage from a fall. That's it. You still need the shock absorbers and integrity enhancements needed to insure the leg -- and the person its attached to -- survives the fall in addition to all the modifications needed just to propel the leg -- and the person its attached to -- with more gusto.

And no, 2.25 ECU does not make sense for a complete hydraulic system and mini-telescoping leg alone, even if you want to ignore the structural enhancements. There's no way in hell it should take up less space than a cyberarm gyromount or even a friggin' signal booster.
Tarantula
They hydraulic system works both ways, both as a shock absorber as well as a means to propel said person skywards. Do a google search for hydraulic shocks.

Unless your leg is synthetic, any re-inforcing modifications to it would be on the OUTSIDE of the leg, reinforcing the structual integrety of it. The essence cost is easily explained in ensuring that the person the legs are attached to will be able to take the shock as well as control for using the jacks to jump higher with.
lorthazar
Actually I agree with the splitting among the legs if only becuase the hydrualic systems in this case would completely replace the the bone structure that had been there. Thus freeing up a bit of room. Honestly though i would not allow a hydraulic system in aa telescopic limb just becuase of the major incongruities.
Ol' Scratch
Look, I said it before and I'll say it again: Whatever. Do what you want. Be a dork and go with the 2.25 ECU. It's your game. I don't care.
Cray74
You won't see me argue that.  In fact, I haven't -- even pointed out that they're not worth their values (ECU or otherwise).  That doesn't change the fact that the implant, as described, requires a lot of space and modification to the limbs... far more than a piddly 3 ECU.

Were the jacks a standalone item not using available systems in the legs, I'd agree. But in cyberlegs, there's already existing equipment that can do the job, with modification: the existing motors/myomers/hydraulics. Adding a hydraulic accumulator or electrical capacitor to overcharge existing systems for big jump, or soak up the energy of a drop, shouldn't need 6.5 ECU per leg, even at rating 5.

No, that doesn't mean you should ignore the consequences of their installation because of that

Consequences? You get little gain for little ECU cost. You're saving a max of about 3 ECU per leg, which is not going to have major consequences.

QUOTE (Toturi)

The lower rating jacks aren't worth talking about, and give even proportionally less benefit per ECU.
Tarantula
QUOTE (lorthazar)
Actually I agree with the splitting among the legs if only becuase the hydrualic systems in this case would completely replace the the bone structure that had been there. Thus freeing up a bit of room. Honestly though i would not allow a hydraulic system in aa telescopic limb just becuase of the major incongruities.

I would disagree with that. You can have a telescopic limb and hydraulic jacks. You just can't use the hydraulic jacks while your limb is telescoped out.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Cray74)
Consequences? You get little gain for little ECU cost. You're saving a max of about 3 ECU per leg, which is not going to have major consequences.

3 ECU is more than enough space to get a Guardian Angel Nano-Biomonitor installed (not to mention enough room for another complete Hydraulic Jack system with your interpretation). I'd say that's a pretty major consequence.
Cray74
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Nov 29 2004, 06:15 PM)
3 ECU is more than enough space to get a Guardian Angel Nano-Biomonitor installed (not to mention enough room for another complete Hydraulic Jack system with your interpretation).  I'd say that's a pretty major consequence.

Woo, it's about time cyberlimbs could do something useful. As far as major consequences go, this sounds like a very useful one.
Tarantula
QUOTE (Cray74)

3 ECU is more than enough space to get a Guardian Angel Nano-Biomonitor installed (not to mention enough room for another complete Hydraulic Jack system with your interpretation). I'd say that's a pretty major consequence.

Opposed to your version. In which you save 13 ECU by not getting the jacks because they're not worth the amount, and get the guardian angel, a cyber holster, a cyberdeck and a knife put in instead.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Tarantula)
Opposed to your version. In which you save 13 ECU by not getting the jacks because they're not worth the amount, and get the guardian angel, a cyber holster, a cyberdeck and a knife put in instead.

Yep. That's exactly what I'm saying.

QUOTE (Cray74)
Woo, it's about time cyberlimbs could do something useful. As far as major consequences go, this sounds like a very useful one.

There's tons of great things you can do with cyberlimbs. Hydraulic Jacks just happen to be one of the things that are less than great. Significantly less.
Tarantula
There's tons of great things you can do with cyberlimbs. Hydraulic Jacks just happen to be one of the things that are less than great. Significantly less.

Especially with your interpretation. At least at 3.25 ECU a piece, they might actually be an option someone would consider.
lorthazar
Easily enough solved here.

1. We all agree you need the hydraulic jacks in both legs to work.
2. Most of us understand that they replace the skeletal part of the the cyber leg.
3. They are not overly useful
4. They are not inherently game breaking

So I propose we submit an Errate to Wizkids making the ECU cost 2.5+.5/level in each cyber leg. And that if you have it installed in one leg then it has to be for both and at equal level. This would make it a and even 5 ECU for a level 5 system in each leg. Cheaper than the original but more realistic with how it would be constructed.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Tarantula)
QUOTE (M&M pg 36)
Hydraulic Jacks ECU: 4 + .5/rating Essence Cost: .25 Concealability Modifier: -3

Thats what is in the table for adding hydraulic jacks to someone who already has cyberlegs. Now, for those who argue that its 6.5 PER LEG for level 5 jacks, then is it also .25 essence per leg? Totalling .5 essence to get the modification? I don't think so, it says a straight .25 essence cost to get them, period. That means for both legs. Which says that the 6.5 ECU is also for both legs, and thusly is 3.25 per leg.

Note: Sorry about bringing this back from the recently deceased, but I'm making a character that this becomes rather crucial to know in.

Thing that bugs me is what if you only had one CyberLeg? Would you pay 1/2 essence for the real HJ and 1/2 the ECU and essence for the CyberLeg version? I wouldn't allow only one HJ to be installed, it make far more sence to have them in pairs than individual. I know the inconsistant wording makes it more questionable but we've assumed since CyberLimbs could be purchased seperately the cost was per limb.

As for their usefulness, you get their rating in +Athletic (Running) Dice and +Stealth Dice (we are still trying to figure the logic in this one) as well as +20% per max jump distance bonuses.

Personally, I like it when not all folks min/max their cyberware and make cookie-cutter sams.
Tarantula
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
Thing that bugs me is what if you only had one CyberLeg? Would you pay 1/2 essence for the real HJ and 1/2 the ECU and essence for the CyberLeg version? I wouldn't allow only one HJ to be installed, it make far more sence to have them in pairs than individual. I know the inconsistant wording makes it more questionable but we've assumed since CyberLimbs could be purchased seperately the cost was per limb.

As I said previously, yes, I would rule that you do Half the normal essence cost and half the ecu and essence for the other leg.

While it was assumed the cost is per limb, why do other mods such as cyberfins specifically state that they are per limb? If HJ was per limb, shouldn't it have stated (per limb) as well?
lorthazar
Excellent point
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012