Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The awakened, and the broke
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Garland
Ah, but we're not talking about open-heart surgery here. We're not even talking about learning to cast a spell like invisibility. We're talking about knowing that mages can become invisible but there are still ways to tell that they're there. Easy stuff like footprints and noises when they bump into something.
Bigity
That's what I'm saying. While you may not understand the specifics of how something is happening, you can still see the results.

A guard can know zilch about how someone can use magic, but he knows what the signs are of someone being invisible.
Cray74
QUOTE (Garland @ Nov 30 2004, 09:57 PM)
I'd also like to say that in the paranoid '60's, a situation like what's described by Cray74 sounds reasonable.  I'd probably want to invisible-proof my home, especially if 20/20 or Dateline, or whatever news show they've got in 2064 had run a scare-story on it.

Anchorman: News At 11: Pervert mages sneaking into homes with invisibility spells and stealing panties. Psychologists say this disturbing behavior is only a prelude to more and more dangerous sex offender acts. But first, a word from our sponsor.

Knight Errant Security Ad: Are you troubled by the possibility of illegal use of magic? Do you lose sleep at night wondering if an invisible mage is prowling in your home, unseen by your security cameras? Has your store or restaurant been robbed by what could only be an invisible mage? Worry no longer. Knight Errant now offers the VeilPiercer-2000. This home and small business security system uses a suite of sensors to detect even the stealthiest mage...etc.

QUOTE (Solstice)
I've always thought of my nonmerc runners as 'semi-normal people in desperate/extenuating circumstances" it's not like they grow up watching magical combat.

They don't pay attention to the evening news and exciting late-breaking news about another wiz gang running loose in Downtown Seattle?

And I doubt sim or TV can disemminate accurate knowledge on any subject especially magic.

Some comments:

1) IRL, many engineering projects start with internet searches, and I know the findings square with the text books I used in college. (In fact, I've had managers berate myself and other coworkers to leave the 'crass' internet searchs to the company librarians. They cost less per hour to have surfing the internet for basic engineering data.) So, yes, I think the 2060s "sim" can disseminate accurate knowledge.

2) In SR, there are Matrix sites used by mages to distribute spells, knowledge, and research. If you can get real hermetic spell formulae and libraries off the Matrix, you can get some accurate pointers.

3) I said it'd be reasonable to pick up a point or two of Magical Background from the Matrix. Those are exactly the levels in a skill most likely to get botches and horrible failures on rolls. In the case of a Knowledge Skill learned from the Matrix, you can bet it was because the person stumbled over some inaccurate knowledge.

"Listen, guys, I found this on the Matrix. To see invisible mages, you need to wear an aluminum foil cap and put on these old red-and-green 3D glasses. If you get it right, you can also read auras as well as a mage."
Apathy
I would agree with the argument that any decent security corp would be knowledgable about magic and security countermeasures for defeating magic, and would brief all their employees on the basics. If they thought that their site was valuable enough to merit an intrusion by a shadowrun team, then they'd be sure to spend a couple hundred per guard for some cheap ultrasound goggles or something similar. Also, security companies that are too cheap to use paranimals can still detect invisible mages with dogs (primary sense -> smell).

Any of the AAA corps are going to have at least a minimal magical presence at all of their facilities. A single security mage can have a watcher or two on patrol at a half dozen different facilities simultaneously with minimal effort, which puts a serious crimp in a runner's style.

Someone referred before to runners using masking to defeat wards. I don't have my books handy, but I think I recall that alarm wards (or was it masking wards?) weren't fooled by masking. They don't do squat to stop the intruder, but you immediately know that the intruder's there.

If you're playing a street-level campaign, then many of the gangers and lowlife drug pushers you come across won't know squat about magic countermeasures, true. But then you're talking about an 80BP game anyway, and spending 30 of those points on magic is going to leave you weak in a lot of other areas.

I do agree that mages/shamans can be exceptionally powerful, and only get more so once the karma builds up. But full-power mages shouldn't be settling for robbing stuffer shacks and fighting with street bums, and decent corp security has countermeasures for most of what you can do.
Cray74
QUOTE (Apathy)
But full-power mages shouldn't be settling for robbing stuffer shacks and fighting with street bums, and decent corp security has countermeasures for most of what you can do.

If movie stars can shoplift, I figure some mages - particularly when they're teens - may be inclined to swipe an item or two from a Stuffer Shack.

And then there's the REALLY stupid things that runners'll do for fun.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (SaintHax)
I love ShadowRun. LOVE IT! B/c of the way damage is soaked, and tracked, I think it has the best rules of any game. Somewhat streamlined, but realistic enough. HOWEVER, it has some broke arse stuff in it. Mainly, mundanes suck. This isn't an opinion, it's math... see below.

Of course mundanes suck.

That's why they're called "mundanes."
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Solstice)
If you guys really play like that then IMO your playing what you know not what your character knows. My character currently has never been around magic and he doesn't understand the "strange powers" of the groups mage (which really isn't that far off from what I know as a player but that is beside the point).

You guys make it sound so common like everyone knows about improved invisibility and they pack around special goggles just for that purpose ("hey don't let those sneaky mages get the jump on ya chummer")....kinda dumb when you think about it but whatever strokes your goat. I'm done bickering. Now I will concentrate on a house rule for imp. invis. maybe a time limit?

Actually this is exactly what we're saying. Let's compare, shall we: Google was invented about five years ago. Today everyone knows what it is, and basically what it does, even if they don't know any of the technical details behind PageRank™ or how to use the advanced features. It's a fact of life, one that has revolutionized the Internet, itself only in the public eye for about two decades at most.

Now let's look at magic in Shadowrun, which has been around for the better part of *fifty* years. The only possible way you would *not* know that magic can make people invisible, throw around balls of fire, or fly through the air would be if you spent all of that time in a cave. On Mars. With your eyes shut and your hands over your ears. nyahnyah.gif
DrJest
Whatever, that's fine. We just have two different views of what our worlds should be like. I've always thought of my nonmerc runners as 'semi-normal people in desperate/extenuating circumstances" it's not like they grow up watching magical combat. And I doubt sim or TV can disemminate accurate knowledge on any subject especially magic. It's fucking tv and movies for christ sake.

Solstice. Breathe deep.

Think about the top-running shows on trid and simsense. You know what the top comedy in the UCAS is? "The Odd Coven". You know who one of the most popular simsense characters is? "Karl Kombatmage."

There is no possible way that anyone can not be aware of the simple basics of magic. Even if it's just a "Woo, they can blow stuff up, deflect bullets, turn invisible and fly! And there's these spirit thingummies, too!" kind of knowledge.

As soon as you get into even the most basic of security professions, people are taught this stuff. Seriously, I cannot for the life of me imagine any point at which any serious security firm is not going to teach a basic Countermagic 101 course.

As somebody already said, magic has been around now for 40 years. We've had computer viruses something like half that, look at the sheer volume of anti-virus solutions.

I'm sorry mate, I really am, but this time you are wrong. If your group are - and I'm truly sorry, but there's no other way to phrase this - too dumb and too stingy to pick up a pair of ultrasound goggles or even a can of glitter spray (especially if they've ever encountered an invisible mage) then that's their problem. I don't rate their life expectancies.

It's not the pro-magic argument that's failing. I'm sorry. It's yours.
DrJest
The only possible way you would *not* know that magic can make people invisible, throw around balls of fire, or fly through the air would be if you spent all of that time in a cave. On Mars. With your eyes shut and your hands over your ears.

Oh, that is SO sigged smile.gif
Solstice
Thats kinda like saying that watching the A Team has shown people what combat conditions are like. eek.gif Hearing about something and seeing it first hand/experiencing are two different things. Sure they can get on the Matrix and find general information but would they know specifics? Like can the mage attack while invisible? Are objects invisible when the mage touches them? Can they even be seen via ultrasound? How bout thermographic? How long does it last? Can any mage do it?This what I mean when I'm talking about playing your character's knowledge vs. playing your own knowledge.

I'm still not quite buying your view of that aspect of setting. We just have to agree to disagree. One player in my group has a character who is a former wage slave new to SRing and new to just about everything shadowlike. He delights in playing her that way...inexperienced in combat, knows that magic exists but not specifics certainly not how it can be defeated so readily. I applaud that rather than the easy way out where your character magically knows how everything works becauase it's in the SR3. Just seems rather vanilla. But hey that's just me. There certainly is a case for what your saying and it is probably appropriate in alot of circumstances I just don't prefer it really.
Kagetenshi
None of that is necessary except the "seen by ultrasound" bit. See an invisimage, trigger an alarm. That's sufficient for most corps.

~J
Fortune
Your example player's character is the exception in Shadowrun, rather than the rule. Standard chargen assumes that the character is at least moderately experienced before play even begins, unlike D&D.
Sandoval Smith
I would like to know Solstice's character's answers to something: have his semi-normal in extenuating circumstances characters missed the Awakening, and pretty much everything that followed (the outside coverage of Bug City, Dunkelzahn's bid for presidency, etc et al.)? I can't imagine anyone being ignorant to the existance of magic; history classes would mentioned the Great Ghost Dance, biology classes would probably have a few interesting mentions of meta variations. It's perfectly reasonable that they don't know how magic works, but that should not in way hamper their ability to work with or against it.

Likewise, it's perfectly reasonable for Joe Normal to know zilch about the difference between Invisibility, Improved Invisibility, and the force levels there of. However, I would be just as incredulous that he could be ignorant of people turning invisible as I would be if he were ignorant of the existence of dragons. Day to day life would contain too many passing references for ignorance to be possible, unless you live on Mars etc.

*over heard in the corp soycafeteria amongst the mundanest of the mundane sararimen*
"Oh boy is Sandoval Jr in trouble. I just found out why'd he'd been hoarding his allowance like Lofwyr during a bad quarter. He's been in deep drek all the way around for keeping his his girlfriend out too late (she might be an ork, but I can't really blame him; she's hotter than than a fire elemental in a naptha factory), and the both of them were grounded. So he paid a street shaman to sustain a little 'no-see-um' on him, then tried to sneak in through her bed room window. Her family's about as awakened as a box of rocks, and they only live in an A neighborhood, so who would be the wiser? How was he supposed to know that the troll across the street, and local busy body, was Emily Vaun Baud? You've read, 'Dogs, Cats, Toasters and you: The Beginner's guide to Shaman traditions?' Yeah that Emily Vaun Baud. She'd gone astral to get a gossip update from her Watchers, and saw someone that she couldn't see, if you know what I mean. Fortunately, or maybe not, for Jr, she called his girlfriend's dad instead of the 'Star. So Jr thought he'd be sneaking into his girlfriend's waiting arms. What he got was her pissed off father, who since he was waiting for the footprints in the flower beds, and that window to slide open on its own, saw through the spell pretty easily and... DocWagon says it was all just soft tissue damage, so Jr. should be off the crutches in a couple of days. Emily offered to speed things up a little, since she felt bad about Jr getting the thrashing he did, but I think healing naturally is a good lesson for him. So, how was your weekend?'

Any security concern should be fully aware of the potential for intruders to be using magic. Otherwise I'd expect shadowtalk to be pretty ripe with messages of 'hey, if you're a mage, hit XYZ. They have drek for magical security. Levitate alone will get you to their company safe.'

Regular people would not be so well versed, but I doubt they would have trouble coming up with quick solutions. Flour bomb, activate sprinklers, listen to see if they can hear anything.

As for TV, the A-Team would show me all I need to know about noisy firefights and bullets being bad. All you need is the action movie of the week to have the high tension run, where everything is planned to the smallest detail, but when the invisible mage is sneaking in, tension and heat make him sweat, ominous camera angles showing the trail of water droplets left behind, an astute guard noticing them and sounding the alarm, leading into the exciting final act. That doesn't mean everyone watching it is suddenly an expert in mage detection, but if they ever find themselves facing an invisible someone in real life, "Well, X worked on TV, so maybe Y will work here."

*edited because other people are fast posters*
SaintHax
I think we are getting off topic. Instead of discussing whether mages were unbalanced, we are coming up w/... "how to counter invisibilty". Sure, you can counter. But is the power of a force 1 invisibilty spell still overpowered. Bet your bottom nuyen!

As for Solstice's character not having magic background: yes, his character would be aware that invisibity spells exists. It's doubtful he'd be aware that there are two versions of the spell. It's extremely unlikely that he'd know that invis defeats thermo, et al, but doesn't work against ultra sound. That is game knowledge. Again... this is off topic though.

I've seen and play tested new to 100 karma characters, and even 200 prime runners. At every level, the mage owns. Especially sorcerers! They can take attributes as Priority A, then be a troll. Soon as you get Spell Shielding when you initiate, you are a tank mage. They can be killed, but they are much harder than any other character type. Plus, they can recon w/ extended range clairvoyance.

Also take the broken Stun Bolt spell. It's more versital than mana bolt, and is easier to cast. Knocking someone out is just as good as killing them, b/c you can just coup de grace them while they sleep. Plus, if you need them alive, you have that option too. In addition, you can stun ball into a group w/ your allies as a last resort, b/c it won't kill them. AND... if you hit an astral form, it does killing damage, b/c there is no stun damage in astral space. AND... creatures that regenerate, don't regenerate stun, so it's more effective against some paranormal creatures. It should have a higher drain code, not lower. This is another imbalance.

You can come up w/ counters for mages, but at the end of the day they are still vastly superior. The priority system is supposed to balance mundanes w/ awakened PC's. At the very least, allow mundanes to have a sand box to excel in. This is not the case.
Kagetenshi
Have you tried killing a properly equipped Rigger recently? How about even getting into a position to kill a properly equipped Decker? Or finding a way to kill a good Face and get away with it?

~J
Crusher Bob
Or just a sam with a bunch of guns? Any highly skilled person is going to be hard to get rid of or counter, that's why the bodyguarding of heads of state can be so difficult.
Sandoval Smith
What exactely do you mean by mundanes? Just by definition, they can't excel in anything, they're mundane. I can't say I really give a fig if Joe Schmoe can't beat even a force one Invisibility spell. He's also not going to be able to beat the sammie with wired reflexes on intiative. Does that somehow make having cyber unfair?

Or if you mean mundane as in 'non-mage' does that also include adepts? Because I'm seen some pretty wicked examples posted up around here. Same for riggers. Most espcially for sammies. And deckers. That's three or four sandboxes for them to play in.

I still really can't understand the problem you're having with magic. Just like a regular person is not going to have any chance at all against a sammie, rigger, decker, et al. so are they going to get worked by a mage.
Eyeless Blond
I think by mundane he means non-Awakened. The problem is he's completely wrong; in most cases the sammies end up being much more powerful than the mages right out of the box, due to the exponentially increasing amount of cash you get per point invested. Most mundanes tend to have 15-20 more points invested in resources, on average, than Awakened, which gives them access to much better startwing equipment. Cyberware in particular makes this large extra influx of cash worthwhile; no matter how much a mage tries to cherry-pick and geas off the loss he's never going to get all the nifty cyber- and bio- tools that the mundane character will start with.

Ever after the mages have a hard time catching up as they really have to spend *so* much Karma on their magic. They really only start outdistancing their non-Awakened bretheren under a few corner conditions: 1) the GM awards much more Karma than cash (in general a character should earn around 1 karma for every 5,000 nuyen), 2) the GM severely limits the runners' access to mundane power-ups, namely beta/delta cyberware/bioware clinics, or 3) you start getting into really high karma ranges (500+).

That said, the completely mundane non-cybered characters tend to have problems. The only real options for lightly-cybered (cyber + .5*bio index < 1-2) mundanes is decker and face, and decker's pretty tough to pull off.
Glyph
I have not made that many mundane characters, but the ones that I have made have not lacked for power. I think people tend to favor awakened characters for a much simpler reason than power level -

Mundane characters take so long! I can whip up a sorcerer, mage, shaman, or adept in no time flat, but creating an effective sammie, decker, or rigger is much more complicated. Cyberware, drones, decks, and the like take a lot more math and careful tweaking.
SaintHax
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Dec 1 2004, 12:10 AM)
Have you tried killing a properly equipped Rigger recently? How about even getting into a position to kill a properly equipped Decker? Or finding a way to kill a good Face and get away with it?

~J

Rigger, seems a poor example. As a rigger advances, they get more flexibility, and better offense. Vehicle riggers can have some pretty tank like rides, granted, but they are lacking in stealth too. Let's you bring out some big guns on them. Drone riggers can't put on near as much armor... and there is little you can do to protect yourself from a dump at elite level, that you can't do at char. gen. A Decker... again, the ICE they face is able to scale w/ them a lot easier. It's the nature of the beast. Face?? You are joking now. I know, you want an argument for the Face, but let's not waste time on a tangent bait.

200+, grade 4, Karma Troll Sorcerer: Target number for all spells to affect him +4, that's 10 for will spells, 11 for Int (like Chaos), 13 for Body. Best bet is decrease Chr, which would be a 3, target 7's. He's got a 9 body, and a level 6 limited armor (bullets) spell, w/ a force 2 detection trigger. W/ a level 1 combat focus axe, he can one shot force 6 greater spirits. And actually, that's my 130 karma version listed above, and he was not made for combat only, a lot of karma was sunk in skills and non-combat related spells.

Yes, the wards he will be facing will be high enough level to make masking past a challenge. And you can design a trap just for him and kill him. The point is, you almost have to design a trap just for him to kill him. And, that same trap will probably kill your Merc and Street Sam, yet the opposite can't be said. Of course, my argument isn't that a prime awakened character is over powered, but all awakened characters can be.

By definition a mundane can excel, a mundane is someone involved in the common world. IRL, a CPA would be considered mundane (accounting seems worldy and common to me), but certainly could excel. I'm borrowing Piers Anthony's usage of mundane to refer to anyone that can't use magic.

Only the vehicle variety of riggers have a personal sandbox. A magician can summon spirits to take place of drones, and can certain recon better than any rigger. Sammies are there for a mix of stealth and combat power, the very same mage can do their job. The only advantage the Sammy has is in defense. Deckers? Actually... sadly, our play test decker is an adept: not mundane. I'm only talking about spell slingers, so I'll give the decker his own sand box too. So, vehicle rigger and decker. That only leaves: merc, ganger, and sammie in the most popular archetypes that is under powered.

As far as Eyeless saying I'm wrong. Noper. First, we've already seen (my group disagreed, and I've thus proved them wrong... work it out for your self, if you'd like) that priority A in resources (in most campaigns... following the structure of published adventures) creates a less powerful character down the road. Even Sammies start getting karma starved. Next, a starting spell tosser will have +3d6 reaction (lv. 1, sustained). He'll go before the Sam 50% of the time. In many a test, it's which ever one get's to go first that would win. There's a lot of variables you can throw in to sway the outcome, but race and conditions considered, out of the box... they are pretty much equal in combat.

I love my mundane too. Hell, I could create a bias argument that he's equal to the mages out of passion, but that won't make it so. Sure, he can do some cool stuff!! And, if you play in a home game, you may not notice this as much, b/c the magic users will try to not waste karma duplicating what you do well. However, you start taking that character to a network game at Cons, where the mages have to be prepared to run w/ any group. It can sting a little when mage does your stuff w/ you, and then does his own little special stuff you can never do... only to find out he has a little less total karma than you do. It's a different perspective that most of you are probably not privy to.
toturi
That is becuase GMs usually do not enforce Background count. Factor in an average background count of 1 to 2 in the sprawl and you'll have your leveling of the field. By the way, I've not even added that all time favourite of mine: MADS. Or the 50/50 Magic test that awakened must do when they walk into a containment room filled with NueroStun, can you spell burnout?
Da9iel
I thought the magic loss test was only for a) deadly physical damage, b) improper medical treatment, c) stim patches and some other drugs, and d) disruption in astral combat. SR3 p. 160
toturi
When an Awakened character suffers a Deadly wound or is treated without the +2 modifier for and Awakened character, the character risks a loss of magic.

Deadly wound - no distinction between physical and stun.
SaintHax
QUOTE (toturi)
Deadly wound - no distinction between physical and stun.

Wounds are always physical. They refer to the other is deadly damage (stun) or deadly stun. They never use wound when referring to stun damage in SR3. Mages definitely are not overpowered in your game, toturi, if they have a chance to lose Magic if they ever get knocked out. Not that I can think of my mage ever receiving any deadly damage other than physical, but still much nastier that way.
Da9iel
QUOTE (SR3 p. 160)
Other circumstances [besides essence loss] can cause characters to lose their Magic Attribute. These include Deadly physical damage and improper medical treatment (p. 129),....

I believe the intent on p. 129 is physical wounds. It is plainly spelled out on p. 160 as such. When two rules conflict, I tend with the most specific.
toturi
Yes, they include those conditions listed above, but it is not limited to those conditions. The first rule states Deadly wound, of which the second rule iincludes a subset of the first. No conflict.
SaintHax
QUOTE (toturi)
Yes, they include those conditions listed above, but it is not limited to those conditions. The first rule states Deadly wound, of which the second rule iincludes a subset of the first. No conflict.

And yet... still incorrect; as wounds are physical. Just look at your character sheet it says "Deadly Stun" and "Deadly Wound". The wound is physical, and aptly, the Stun is stun.

+-<:-) SaintHax
Da9iel
Toturi: Fine if you want to GM it that way. I read it that the rules under Magic Loss that MITS refers to and other parts of SR3 refer to mentions every way to test for magic loss. Even MITS doesn't add to that list. They do specify when to test for stimulant use, but that's covered on SR3 p. 160. Under the section about treating (physical--since stun can't be effectively treated) wounded magicians, they also mentioned the magic loss part but got lazy and didn't say physical. To me the main thing is the plain thing. The more specific section explains the unclear section. I pity GMs who have to deal with rules lawyers that takes quotes out of context.

Edited to address intended recipient.
toturi
QUOTE (SaintHax @ Dec 1 2004, 09:27 PM)
QUOTE (toturi @ Dec 1 2004, 07:48 AM)

And yet... still incorrect; as wounds are physical. Just look at your character sheet it says "Deadly Stun" and "Deadly Wound". The wound is physical, and aptly, the Stun is stun.

+-<:-) SaintHax

True. But the problem is that wounds are used interchangeably to describe both Physical and Stun damage and that if they are specifically refering to on Physical or Stun, they would specify it. Example: p 126 M&M ("wound" here refers to both Stun and Physical) and p 148 M&M("wound" means Physical) and p 123 SR3 (Serious Stun wound).

To me, the word "wounds" is used interchangeably in SR. But I can see how you can define Wounds as Deadly only if you only refer to the Character Sheets in the various books. It is a matter of interpretation and I am showing how there is grounds for the GM to say it is Magic loss check for both Physical and Stun.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (SaintHax @ Dec 1 2004, 05:47 AM)
Rigger, seems a poor example.  As a rigger advances, they get more flexibility, and better offense.  Vehicle riggers can have some pretty tank like rides, granted, but they are lacking in stealth too.  Let's you bring out some big guns on them.  Drone riggers can't put on near as much armor...

Bull on all counts, most especially on that most stupid of all divisions, the "vehicle or drone Rigger". Having a vehicle and drone Rigger ups the versatility, ups the power, and costs negligibly more than either independently.

Stealth: can typically engage from 20+ kilometers distant.

Drones: you can slap five points of vehicle armor on a Body 2 crawler just fine. If you aren't into the tank route, grab some Handling-reducing modifications and just dodge all day at TNs that typically cluster around 2. Also keep in mind that Riggers get combat pool to attack and Control Pool to do anything you'd do with Combat Pool, plus a fair bit. Can your spirits detect objects from multiple kilometers away? Unless they're Elementals, most of the time they can't even go multiple kilometers away!

Face? Like Hell I'm joking! Seriously, take a properly built face. Sure, you can kill the face. Now try killing him such that his contacts, the people who owe him favours, the people who depend on him don't come and make you one with the pavement. Not so easy now, is it?

Even mages are trivial to kill on a suicide mission.

~J
toturi
Don't forget the otaku face insuing a warrant for your arrest and giving you a bad rep in the shadows at the same time.
Cray74
QUOTE (SaintHax)
I think we are getting off topic.  Instead of discussing whether mages were unbalanced, we are coming up w/... "how to counter invisibilty".  Sure, you can counter.  But is the power of a force 1 invisibilty spell still overpowered.  Bet your bottom nuyen!

Bet taken. I'm not overwhelmed by the spell. It's also not off-topic to discuss countering invisibility, since it seemed to be one of several key points behind your notion that mages are overpowered.

As for Solstice's character not having magic background: yes, his character would be aware that invisibity spells exists.  It's doubtful he'd be aware that there are two versions of the spell.  It's extremely unlikely that he'd know that invis defeats thermo, et al, but doesn't work against ultra sound.  That is game knowledge.  Again... this is off topic though.

Again, not off-topic. The ability of mundanes to defeat the abilities of mages weighs directly on the balance of mages. It should take 30 seconds of Matrix surfing, or a single Karl Kombatmage episode, to inform millions of mundanes that, "Ultrasound vision systems defeat invisibility spells."

I've seen and play tested new to 100 karma characters, and even 200 prime runners.  At every level, the mage owns.

Again, I really have to wonder at what you're doing with those characters. It sounds like you're missing possibilities in mundanes in the superficial dazzle of mages.

For example, you keep under-rating mundane knowledge about magic, particularly mundane runner knowledge.
Digital Heroin
What I'm seeing here is a case of two people who just aren't willing to conceed that maybe they aren't right. One still fighting, the other having pulled a "screw you guys, I'm going home."

So, lets stick to the topic at hand, rather than the "my character's too dumb to ask someone how they might get past the invisibility spell that's talked about all the time" sub-topic.

Mundanes suck, eh?

Well let's go with my favorite mundane of them all: Jon Snow.

Snow is what I term a pure mundane. No magic, no augments. Canon fodder, right? Wrong. Not only does he have a thorough skillset, contacts and extensive gear (at initial build) which allow him to adapt to any situation, but he doesn't have to deal with the problems other charaters might face.

He doesn't trigger cyberware scanners, have an aura in need of masking, or (and here's a big one) get screwed over by mana warps, background count, null magic zones, etc. Oh, and he can go into space without that nasty little dying thing. He's the everyman who can go anywhere.

So he doesn't have a smartlink? Smartgoggles or a lasersight, or hell, the ultra-fashionable SOTA tres chic shades with smartgoggles and ultravision built into them (along with a HUD) deal with that.

Mage gonna fry him? Well with the BPs not spent on making him Awakened, I had a few points left over to buy a decent Willpower score. Oh yeah, there's also that nice little magic resistance edge.

Sure, he's not perfect, but I don't have to waste karma, essence, or money masking magic or cyber in him, and he's adaptable to any run you might throw at him.

Magic may be powerful, but it's not -all- powerful.
Cray74
QUOTE (Digital Heroin)
Oh, and he can go into space without that nasty little dying thing. He's the everyman who can go anywhere.

Nit: mages can (and do) go into space. As I recall, Target: Wastelands describes their issues and constant rumors of megacorp experiments. It's just a really bad idea for them to astrally project, assense, cast spells, or otherwise do magic.
Bigity
QUOTE (toturi)
Don't forget the otaku face insuing a warrant for your arrest and giving you a bad rep in the shadows at the same time.

Otaku face? Isn't that kind of an oxymoron? It's stated that Otaku are not all that well adjusted, so a face is probably out of reach for them. Maybe a Matrix face.
Cray74
QUOTE (Bigity)
Otaku face? Isn't that kind of an oxymoron? It's stated that Otaku are not all that well adjusted, so a face is probably out of reach for them.

"Not well adjusted" can also include, "charismatic sociopath."
toturi
QUOTE (Bigity)
QUOTE (toturi @ Dec 1 2004, 09:50 AM)

Otaku face? Isn't that kind of an oxymoron? It's stated that Otaku are not all that well adjusted, so a face is probably out of reach for them. Maybe a Matrix face.

And that is reflected in their Etiquette skills not exceeding 4 at Chargen. But it does not preclude the PC from improving to a higher Etiquette skill, bearing in mind that an otaku can have a starting Cha of 11.
Bigity
Just kind of seems to go against the grain smile.gif

Karma is of course, the great equalizer.
Lantzer
Going back to the whole invisibility thing... Some of the countermeasures discussed here are needlessly exotic (from the point of view of corp security). Beaded curtains? Unprofessional from a corp-culture standpoint. Flour bombs? Jury-rigged.

Corp security just needs the following: Closed fire doors, security lock-downs, motion detectors, mundane dogs, laser-trip systems, MAD checkpoints, and the like. All these are already in use for mundane intruders. Once an intruder is detected, there are multiple ways of locating and isolating the intruder. Nothing is particularly complicated about it.

Going back to mundanes, A mundane character generally has good stats, great skills, and cool gear. It's not like those points are going to waste. The one way that a mundane tends to suffer is in the realm of initiative enhancement. And that can be dealt with, with proper planning and a cool head.
Ved'ma
I think Lantzer has it right. Nothing exotic is really needed to protect against the invisible. A simple guard dog with a keen sense of smell can ruin somebody's day. Even gangers might have pit bulls or other nasty surprises around.
Botch
I came into this a bit late, but isn't around 1 in 8 of the mundane population immune to the invisibility spells - trolls and dwarves.

Let just stick with stereotypes. Trolls are guards/bouncers/doormen, dwarves are riggers. Puts the odds up even higher that the person looking at you has thermosense and then just how many restricted areas don't require you to open a door? We haven't even spent any money on counter-measures yet. IMHO invisibility is broken simply because of how easy it is to defeat, not because of how easy it is to cast.

All meta-humans are subject racist abuse, because MAGIC changed them. How many people effected by the 17th Century slave trade are completely unaware of the situation 4 centuries later? Whether they are exposed to correct information is not really an issue, they WILL BE exposed to information.

How many of you DSF'ers never, ever, thought it would be cool to be invisible when you were a child? I think the answer is very close to zero.

Ol' Scratch
Invisibility affects all types of normal vision. That includes low-light and thermographic vision. Non-normal vision refers to things like utlrasound vision and astral sight in much the same way "normal weapons" doesn't include elemental attacks or weapon foci.
John Campbell
QUOTE (Botch)
I came into this a bit late, but isn't around 1 in 8 of the mundane population immune to the invisibility spells - trolls and dwarves.

No. Thermal vision is considered "normal vision" for purposes of being affected by invisibility. Thermosense is not vision, and thus not affected, but that's not what dwarves and trolls have.
Rev
I find it really irritating that healing a sam is now harder than healing a mage in shadowrun.

Used to be that the magical charachters had an edge in magical healing, but were somewhat screwed after that and often had to just go the slow way. Now cybered/biowared charachters are even more screwed for technological healing than magicians even if you don't use stress.
Cray74
QUOTE (Rev)
I find it really irritating that healing a sam is now harder than healing a mage in shadowrun.

The cybered folks have always been screwed about magical healing in 2nd and, IIRC, 1st edition.

But with bioware- and Edge options, they can heal 'naturally' damn fast.

*Platelet factory turns a deadly wound into a 9-box serious
*First Aid turns the serious into a moderate
*Symbiotes-3 halve healing time of the moderate wound
*Quick healer helps offset the bioware impact on healing
*Chemical Gland (platelet factory anti-coagulant) makes platelet factory much less of a recipe for strokes.

And if there's magical healing around to take 1 box off the moderate, peachy.

A shot that would leave a mage with magic loss rolls and missing critical anatomical parts is just a moderate wound (in a couple of minutes) for a bio'd-up Samurai, who can shake the rest off with a few days of bed rest.
Rev
The edge and first aid are also available to magicians. The trauma dampner is another peice of healing related bioware, and a favorite of magicians.

Besides the platelet factory and trauma dampner don't help you heal they help you not get hurt in the first place. Like armor spells and invisibility.

The point is not that it is impossible to make a sam that heals pretty fast, but that the typical sam now heals much more slowly and much more expensively, while magicians heal about the same as before.
Shockwave_IIc
Just as a side note, has it not Errated that the likes of Platelet Factory and Symbiotes don't count towards the Bio Index for healing purpose's?

If thats the case, take a Pill form of Anti-coagulant and with the -2 to Healing from quick healer and a high body, That fatal gunshot wound puts you in bed for less then 6 hours if memory serves.

[EDIT]Ok so not the platelet Factory, but with Trauma Damper and the effect of Symbiotes to heal stun as well....
Mercer
The first SR character I ever made, and played for the next five years, was a total mundane. He was an ork private detective, back in 2ed. This would have been '92 I made him, I guess. From what I can remember:

Whereas all the mages I ran with blew all their karma on intitation and spells, I put it into skills and attributes. A Q and I of 7 gave me a natural 7 Reaction, which meant two actions about half the time. I had an Unarmed Combat of 8 and a Firearms of 7 and a Specialization of 9 in the Skorpion MP. Most people thought I was an Initiate Phys Ad after the first couple of years. Plus, I had tons of skills at 3 and 4. My goal was to get every skill in the book, and I came pretty close.

Whereas all the sams I ran with blew all their money on upgrading their cyber to squeeze out a few more points here and there (e.g. the last sam I played in 2ed needed something like 2mil to beta his Reaction Enhancers to get a beta'd Encephalon which would give me my last point of Reaction ever), my PI just racked up the cash. I had the best gear in the group. High lifestyle, a dozen safehouses, a warehouse with 8 or 9 vehicles; rating 8 tech on anything I planned on using (taps, scanners, jammers, white noise, transceivers, and so on). The closest thing I can relate it to would be somewhere between James Bond and Batman. I retired the character when I had enough to buy a lifetime luxury lifestyle (10 mil in those days, I think).

The downsides were plenty. I was slow. Even at 7+1d6, I was pretty much always the slowest guy in the group, never faster than the second slowest. I took a lot of free actions to fall flat. I didn't get into stand-up confrontations with sams. My stats, except for Int, were never maxed (Body and Str were 8 and 7, Willpower I think was 6, Charisma I don't think ever went above 4).

But the thing that made me the heavy in the group was the karma pool. A 43 karma pool is a significant advantage. It pretty much trumps anything else.
Kagetenshi
Er… the karma pool everyone else will be getting too. Faster, if they're human.

~J
Ol' Scratch
Not to mention that with the minimum of 840 Karma you had to earn to get that Karma Pool of 43, *everyone* should have been a god, especially the magicians.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012