Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pope and Vatican
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
The Vanguard
Hi I was wondering what happened to the Vatican and the Pope in Shadowrun?,
Kanada Ten
Well, long story short? Vatican City is a powerful base for the Church, which mostly rules the Papal States (Italy). They have a magical order of Priests (St. Sylvester) and a CIA (New Templars) which works to unhinge Tir na nOg and Aztlan - the Catholic haters that they are. Bunch of minor power bases around Europe, let me find that thread...

On Italy
Templars
RCC
Synner
Or you could read Shadows of Europe which pretty much covers the status of the Vatican/RCC, the Papacy, the Curia, Council of Cardinals and the Awakened Schism that divides it in the 206Xs. The New Templars (and Syvestrines) are also addressed in Threats 2. The New Jesuits (using Kanada's analogy, they're the Vatican's FBI) are spread out across several sources. There should be another surprise or two coming up soon enough...

And the Vatican's powerbase is slightly more widespread than just Europe. South America and parts of Africa and Asia have significant and pretty hardline Catholic populations.
Mercer
I first ran across the Jesuits (in SR) in the Aztlan SB, and I've used them here and there throughout. As a side note, I seem to recall a mention of the elite Swiss Guard in an SR SB, but I can't for the life of me remember which.
toturi
QUOTE (Mercer)
I first ran across the Jesuits (in SR) in the Aztlan SB, and I've used them here and there throughout. As a side note, I seem to recall a mention of the elite Swiss Guard in an SR SB, but I can't for the life of me remember which.

SOE perhaps?
Fortune
I think they were mentioned earlier than that, in relation to them still being the Pope's Guard, but can't think of where except maybe Germany Sourcebook. Damned senility!
Synner
Since the surprise's blown, you might also want to check the Vigilia Evangelica in the upcoming Loose Alliances book. Note it's been introduced in passing in SoE, but Loose Alliances should have a couple of serious surprises in store.
Mercer
QUOTE (Mercer)

SOE perhaps?
It would be a much earlier book. Perhaps one of the old magic books, talking about phys ads. I don't know. I read it year ago, though.
Kanada Ten
Yeah, I remember that too. Maybe Germany or something before it. Where they first mention Vatican City, I think it says guarded by the elite Swiss Guard or something.
Fortune
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
Yeah, I remember that too. Maybe Germany or something before it. Where they first mention Vatican City, I think it says guarded by the elite Swiss Guard or something.

That's pretty much what I remember.
FlakJacket
Well can you imagine what souped-up adepts armed with weapon focus halberds, along with tech and firearms, would be like? smile.gif
toturi
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
Well can you imagine what souped-up adepts armed with weapon focus halberds, along with tech and firearms, would be like? smile.gif

Last thing you'll hear? "Amen!"
FlakJacket
There used to be a site linked to on the Shadowrun Archive about the Swiss Guard. Had a quick look but the link's dead and I don't really remember what sort of quality it was.

Edit: And now I've got the urge to see if I can design an up-gunned 2060's version of the Pope-mobile using Rigger 3. biggrin.gif
Bob the Ninja
The Aztlan book had stuff on the New Jesuits. Of course, all that and more is also in SoE.
DrJest
QUOTE (FlakJacket)

Oh God... I had a bizarre image of "Shadowrun does The Magdalena"...

Ooh! Ooh! Antagonist idea! What if the Holy Inquisition did not "go quietly into that dark night" but are alive and kicking as a renegade faction of the Church and planning a genocidal strike against magical types?
Synner
Not exactly what you had in mind, but I'd suggest a peek at Loose Alliances for some surprises.

Note in RL the Office of the Holy Inquisition is still alive and kicking (and thriving as the most important Holy Congregation in the Roman Catholic Church), but what most people around here would find really interesting is the Congregation of Extraordinary Ecclesiastical Affairs. Look it up and you'll see what I mean.
DrJest
That's it, man, I really have to submit something to FanPro... no wait... all my ideas have already been done frown.gif wink.gif
Snow_Fox
Just to add to the church info, the two places Rome does not have a major open precense in Aztlan and Tir na Nog where the current regimes see it as subversive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012