Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magic Unchecked
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
LinaInverse
QUOTE (Crimson Jack)

I'm not dodging their point at all.  I'm just not assuming that Lone Star is going to observe the law and not "illegally enter private property" (which is what I said).  Is the assumption that this is astral investigation exclusively?  If that is the case, then there might be a point.  However, Lone Star can and does take their agents out into the field.  Breaking into a warehouse, or wherever this Force 14 mega circle is located at, and perceive astrally as well.  Considering the length of time this would take, the chances of being discovered (unless all of one's bases are covered) are increased.

Actually, I agree with you that I have no illusions that the Star gives a fig about privacy, rights, etc. I do think though that they will exercise some modicum of tact and diplomacy when the occurance is in a high-class (read wealthy and influential) part of town.

My point was, and was solely to point out that Astrally-speaking, no matter how much of a "bright beacon in Astral space" all these mage-bashers here are touting, all that doesn't mean squat (Astrally speaking) if it's all taking place behind an opaque wall. And anyone with the means, experience, wherewithal to set something like this up is going to be smart enough to set up Wards, physical security, etc. (And if they're not, they deserve whatever the Star brings them).

If the mage is trying to acquire materials via his fixers, then yes, I can see a point how knowledge of this massive circle would leak out onto the streets. For myself, I plan on building up the skills, and infrastructure to make my own materials, formulas and foci w/o outside help. But I'm paranoid that way.
James McMurray
Except that it isn't obviously a massive circle. It could just as easily be 14 tiny circles.

I'd also like to point out that summoning materials are legal.

And if you have the Star coming after someone for buying 14K worth of summoning materials, do you have the secret service show up if they try to buy 420,000 worth of perfectly legal force 2 power focus?

And there is nothing to say that level 3 contacts automatically have level 3 contacts that they deal with. It just means that they're friends for life. Anyhow, the point was that there is always a link in the chain at some point. It is that link that can be exploited by smartypant bad guys

True, but there's always a link in any chain. By that reasoning any time someone wants to get something illegal from a level 1 contact someone in the chain is likely to spill the beans and everyone gets arrested.

It does't matter what the friend for life's contacts are like. The point is that what matters is your contacts reaction at the end. It also depends on how early in the chain the link breaks. Depending on what level the contact's contacts are, someone may make their willpower roll before it even gets to the talismonger whose hoop you've pulled out of a Star fire fight, known since childhood, or whatever.
toturi
That's why you must name someone who has everyone else in his pocket as your level 3. Someone like Lowfyr for example. Or Hestaby.
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (James McMurray)
And if you have the Star coming after someone for buying 14K worth of summoning materials, do you have the secret service show up if they try to buy 420,000 worth of perfectly legal force 2 power focus?

Well, in RL, if a person purchases nuyen.gif 420,000 worth of perfectly legal ammunition (or especially the guns to fire it) they will.

In this case, I would qualify summoning materials as "ammunition".
Kanada Ten
By that reasoning any time someone wants to get something illegal from a level 1 contact someone in the chain is likely to spill the beans and everyone gets arrested.

Half right. If it worth the Star's time. Arresting ten people for a crime that will net the Star no publicity and result in low jail time isn't worth it. If the Star is looking for a guy who had his Force 14 elemental kill a squad car, everyone who's ever sold an illegal fetish will feel the squeeze.

And it's the Bureau of Firearms, Alcohol, Tobacco and Telesma, not Secret Service.
toturi
Yeah, the Bureau of FATT biggrin.gif
Kanada Ten
Oy. What's it really? BATFT? Dumb name either way.
James McMurray
Well, in RL, if a person purchases  nuyen.gif 420,000 worth of perfectly legal ammunition (or especially the guns to fire it) they will.

Except that 420,000:nuyen: worth of power focus is perfectly legal. Its more legal than a knife.

In this case, I would qualify summoning materials as "ammunition".

You might, but the law (at least canon SR law) doesn't. Enough materials to summon a force 5,000 elemental is more legal than a single bullet.

Not saying its realistic, but that doesn't make it any less true.
Crimsondude 2.0
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Telesma, and Firearms (BATTF). Threats 2.
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Except that 420,000:nuyen: worth of power focus is perfectly legal. Its more legal than a knife.

You misunderstand my meaning.

It is perfectly legal, I didn't dispute that.

But purchasing nuyen.gif 420,000 worth would be suspicious, and the BATTF or whatever (and whoever else) would want to know what was going down if they caught word of it, for if no other reason than to cover their butts and say they checked it out.

Even if someone has a FFL and is planning to open a gun store (ammunition is legal, btw), if they puchase $420,000 in ammunition, they are going to get checked out.
ES_Riddle
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
Really? Is there a quote to that effect? Ie, that one can simply combine two Summoning Materials and add the Force? Seems odd since nothing else works like that to my knowledge.

I would judge from the availability of force/24 hours that it is not possible to combine lesser materials into one big pile o' summoning love. I'm putting my vote in with the must buy suspicious package crew. If you're a 200+ karma runner, evading the ATFT (as they should be called rather than ATTF) is just part of the job. It isn't just a "down time" thing in my opinion, though.
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
But purchasing nuyen.gif 420,000 worth would be suspicious, and the BATTF or whatever (and whoever else) would want to know what was going down if they caught word of it, for if no other reason than to cover their butts and say they checked it out.

Even if someone has a FFL and is planning to open a gun store (ammunition is legal, btw), if they puchase $420,000 in ammunition, they are going to get checked out.

Exactly.
Fortune
Frosty: Scan that sheet and post it online somewhere. biggrin.gif
FrostyNSO
I don't have a scanner but I'll try to transpose it into notepad or word when I'm at work =) Then I'll just have to figure out where/how to post it.
Fortune
That'd be cool. As for where to put it, just chuck it up in this thread using a spoiler tag.
Vharn
To get back to the bottom line...the first few posts...

a guy - a mage, right - that broke the 100 Karma frontier....nearly unbeatable? high initiation grades? now...what shadowrun were those guys playing? giant dragons? anti-magic critters? power foki / sustained foki in ..let's say 15 to 20 runs?
geez, I really really thought my characters were overpowered or our GM gave too much gimmicks...
James McMurray
420K power focus is not lots of ammunition. Its a single gun. And if you go through legal channels its only 210K.

I think its obvious that neither of us will convince the other, But that;'s generally how internet debates go. smile.gif

I'm not saying life should be easy, but things that happen should be logical, not just "you bought something from your friend for life contact who rolled on you, for some reason the star decided to sneak into your factory, and now you're screwed."
James McMurray
But back to the original question: what ways are there to rein in mages at higher karma levels?

I've got the corporate security handbook on order, does it give some good ideas for magical security? If not I'll be a bit miffed at having paid $20 for it.
Jrayjoker
Character assasination. Ruin their reps. Have the jobs dry up due to their high cost. Have corps trying to actively recruit them. Hell, have universities begging for them to lecture.
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Jan 21 2005, 08:08 AM)
But back to the original question: what ways are there to rein in mages at higher karma levels?

We weren't off topic. You just dismissed a very valid way of reining in high-level practitioners. In fact, I dare say its one of the best ways to rein them in. High level work generates high level heat. Its your game however, and if you feel that this answer doesn't work for your group, then we can move on. The best way to sum this up however, is from the quote in Jurassic Park by Dr. Ian Malcolm (Jeff Goldblum's character):

Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.

Outside of calling down the thunder on the summoning angle, you might want to have them start pissing contests with an immortal elf or a great dragon. The space theater option is a good one as are any options that involve background counts or wild magic. Might try something with a heavy toxic zone or one of the locales in T:WL. Some of those are scary for mages.

QUOTE (James McMurray @ Jan 21 2005, 08:08 AM)
I've got the corporate security handbook on order, does it give some good ideas for magical security? If not I'll be a bit miffed at having paid $20 for it.

It gives some options, but its mainly an idea book more than anything. You can construct a pretty solid and inpenetrable building using it and the BBB, but don't expect miracles.

QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
Have the jobs dry up due to their high cost

Heh, good idea. The only jobs they can get will be the average jobs that the rest of the runners in their area have to put up with.

"What?! 10,000 nuyen payoff! What kind of payment is that?"
"What do you expect? You're doing bodyguard work and there's little to no threat."

lol
James McMurray
BBB?
FrostyNSO
Big Black Book. Core Rulebook.
Jrayjoker
Thanks CJ. And nuyen.gif 10,000 on a bodyguard gig is good pay AFAIK. I was thinking around 500/day for a low threat job.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Crimson Jack)
Might try something with a heavy toxic zone or one of the locales in T:WL. Some of those are scary for mages.

Indeed.

I've seen a couple of very powerful mages (well, one was a physmage) battered around through clever use of the rules and setting in T:WL.

One of the things, though, that continues to make them cool characters despite being very advanced compared to pretty much anything I've ever seen is that their players are good players, and they challenge themselves. They spend a great deal of times working on research and developing their powers and understanding of the higher mysteries, because at the level they are at (very high grade Initiates) it seems natural that they've spent enough time on the astral and metaplanes just acquiring and developing those powers that they have an affinity for them. As far as they are concerned, combat is something that can be avoided through judicious use of skill, intelligence, and subtle magic.

However, when they have been in combat they are virtually unstoppable. But they aren't stupid, and neither are the players. Just because they are walking gods doesn't mean that they can, should, or will take on an entire spirit army similar to the one around Mt. Kilamanjaro, because they will lose through sheer attrition.

The other cool thing is that magic is strange enough that it is possible to put your characters in a position where they must engage in very high-force magical rituals which suck their karma away just to survive the next stage of the campaign.
Mr. Johnson
I usually let my players get as powerful as they want. If players push the edge of cheesed out characters and become difficult to counter, then I just step the game up a bit. We can go to corny anime-style uber-enemies if we need to. Super powerful AI's, entire units of UCAS military, even ancient vampires with dozens of ghouls. Another old favorite is to send them on a run to the desert and have them face 10 or 20 Anasazi (who I usually kit out to be initiate level 6 adepts backed by a few capable mages).

Even the best of measures can occasionally backfire though. I once had a very powerful runner team that I wanted to give soem trouble to, so I sent in a greater eastern dragon backed by an entire initiate group. Everything was going well (the most powerful of the players only managed a light wound on the dragon) until their rigger got a lucky shot with a great dragon missile. Barbecued the greater eastern and after that the initiates got hammered.
waftalia
hello gamers all i have to say to this is apparently your gms and or players dont know enough about shadowrun to understand the ease of which a character can die.granted a high level magician is powerfull as hell but theres ways i would suggest reading the rules on karma award and all the other rules..iee the guy that has 1000+ karma first a level 14 elemental is very powerfull my question is this hos did you survive the drain after confuring them unless your charisma is way over the legal limit your looking at a 14d stun on conjuring which your not going to do very often and if you dont get any ,the odds are youll get geeked by the elemental before he leaves.

so gms out there use your brains and understand all the rules.
James McMurray
You may want to read the posts before saying to read the rules. The original poster explained how the drain was resisted: it didn't matter because the drain capped out at Serious. Even if no soaking at all had happened, the mage would have stayed awake and the elemental would have stayed under control.
James McMurray
And oh yeah: punctuation and capilitalization are your friends. wink.gif
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Jan 21 2005, 04:18 PM)
And oh yeah: punctuation and capilitalization are your friends. wink.gif

Spelling and grammar are, too.
Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate
Personally, I have a problem with any runner group taking on a GD by themselves head-on, five billion karma or no.

For one thing, Great Dragons did not get the Great moniker by being really good at Dragon Scrabble or the like. They're Great Dragons because they've been through a couple Ages your characters have not. They know magic that hasn't even been 'invented' yet. They've survived the Horrors, which, when/if unleashed, would eat your PCs for lunch. Most likely, they're more powerful than any group of runners. A head-on confrontation ends in crispy karma flakes. That's if your player characters miraculously get into a head-on confrontation at all: these are ancient beings quite skilled at not having to get their hands dirty when they don't need to. They set up ambushes with their cronies. They find somebody else to kill you.

I will grant you that a group of runners could get significant backing from another Great Dragon or megacorp or large group and perhaps take on a Great Dragon. Maybe. With lots of luck, really excellent planning and amazing resources. This typically isn't something that is expressed in terms of karma, however. It has to do with the player/GM makeup and the plot established for the given game. And they most likely wouldn't duke it out Wild West style, but have the dragon trip on a nuke or get shot into space, or other various ambushes, surprise attacks or other
shadowy methods to do Mr. GD in. And you had better hope that that was another Great Dragon helping you, because guess what. You just took down a Great Dragon. One of them. That might just, maybe, perhaps, get the attention of the others.

So Great Dragons, I would think, are fairly hard to take on for any karma level. But let's just say that you or your GM don't like Great Dragons as fairly super powerful beings. Let's say that in your game, Great Dragons can get smooshed by extremely powerful Shadowrunners on their lonesome. This still leaves some very good obstacles in the way of powerful Shadowrunners, magic or no.

As has been mentioned before, there's space. Magic doesn't work there, and it takes very, very little to kill you. The whole Target: Wastelands supplement is excellent in detailing environs which aren't terribly easy to navigate-for anyone. On that note, there's also the mana storms of the Australian Outback. Have a powerful one land on the characters-and stay there.

The GM could also bring the Horrors on early. If Great Dragons aren't all that powerful, maybe Dunkie can't hold off the Horrors as long as he thought he could.

Now, some of these might not be possible for you or your players or your GM. Or maybe you are just so freaking powerful as a PC that none of what I mentioned has any relevance.

That's what a PC's contacts and family are for. An enemy who cannot take your character head on is likely to target the ones the PC loves and cares about. This way, while the character may survive anything thrown at them, they may wish they hadn't.

And if the character in question has covered every single possible angle with their massive amounts of karma and sheer universal power, then I guess in that case they won the Shadowrun.

Time to start a new game.
kevyn668
I'd actually bet dollars to nuyen that Great Dragons are good at Dragon Scrabble. They've been around longer, generally speak more languages, and seriously, who would call them on the word "limo"?
Oh, I'm not saying they aren't. I'm just saying that's not the single qualifier to be called a 'Great' Dragon.

I would assume that all Great Dragons have the Active Skill: Dragon Scrabble at a good level 10 or so.

I mean, I'm just sayin'.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (waftalia)
hello gamers all i have to say to this is apparently your gms and or players dont know enough about shadowrun to understand the ease of which a character can die.granted a high level magician is powerfull as hell but theres ways i would suggest reading the rules on karma award and all the other rules..iee the guy that has 1000+ karma first a level 14 elemental is very powerfull my question is this hos did you survive the drain after confuring them unless your charisma is way over the legal limit your looking at a 14d stun on conjuring which your not going to do very often and if you dont get any ,the odds are youll get geeked by the elemental before he leaves.

so gms out there use your brains and understand all the rules.

huh? Have you bothered to read anything that's been posted here? Also, thanks for tip about reading the rules, I've just been using my book as a doorstop. sarcastic.gif
Moonstone Spider
QUOTE (Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate)
They know magic that hasn't even been 'invented' yet. They've survived the Horrors, which, when/if unleashed, would eat your PCs for lunch. Most likely, they're more powerful than any group of runners.

Do not bring this up. It'll turn this into the fifteen billionth Humans vs. Horrors thread.

Anyway in my opinion, which isn't that humble but probably should be, GDs aren't particularly tough vs. humans with all the whacked technology a human can pull out. GDs survive by their brains and vast experience, brawn means jack considering what weapons a human can pull out. I have no problem imagining a runner strong enough to kill a Great Dragon in direct combat (Even if he isn't Wallhacker) but a good GM shouldn't allow the Great Dragon to get in that situation in the first place.
kevyn668
I use mine as a big coaster. I can get nine beer cans on it. smile.gif
James McMurray
Doorstop! That's what I could use it for. I've been using mine as a paperweight forever, but have been trying to think of something else it would be good for. Thanks!
In regards to the Great Dragon not putting itself in a vulnerable position: that's the main point I was trying to make.

If you can get the drop on the dragon in question, I don't see why naval damage or nukes won't put a few dents in its armor. The main point of the thread seemed to be in terms of magic. Not to mention, a GD's magical prowess would probably allow it to, oh I don't know, pull a Neo on those Howitzer shells.

I've even had a player roll out a starting troll who could knock out a dragon with a punch.
Granted, he wasn't a very smart troll...
TechnoDruid
I've found mine are quite usefull as excersize equipment. You know you're truly a game dork when you owe your cut pectorals and tone biceps not to working out, but lugging around you 95 pounds of Shadowrun material to game sessions during the week. biggrin.gif
kevyn668
QUOTE (Moonstone Spider)
QUOTE (Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate @ Jan 21 2005, 06:33 PM)
They know magic that hasn't even been 'invented' yet.  They've survived the Horrors, which, when/if unleashed, would eat your PCs for lunch.  Most likely, they're more powerful than any group of runners.

Do not bring this up. It'll turn this into the fifteen billionth Humans vs. Horrors thread.

I don't see why its a debate. Humans would win. smile.gif

Go Humans!!
Moonstone Spider
Gyro: Was this troll by any chance called Wallhacker?

Kevyn: Yeah I agree but other people don't. After all Horrors were able to beat humans armed with pointy sticks, and really what's the threat difference between a pointy stick and an aircraft carrier armed with tacnukes? Go Humans.
Oh no, if I recall he was called "Tongo, Eater of Souls".

'cept, really, he'd eat anything.
Crimsondude 2.0
Okay. I'm going to try and answer this one last time because there's something about this whole thread that seems absurd to me, and it's not the existence of the high-powered mage.

QUOTE (ShortBusFury)
Has anyone had any problems with magic characters becoming grossly overpowered in comparison to the non-magic characters at the high-end game (100+ karma)?

No. The high-end mages play a distinct role separate from the team, serving as overwatch and dealing with the biiger threats. However, the rest of the team should be pretty damn dangerous after earning that much karma (and its respective cash) that 100+ karma has turned your mage into an abomination.

This has been my own personal experience with chracters that I have made in the past, but only when initiate grades were involved.

I presume Initiates are involved, but it's been a while since I've seen a starting PC mage.

Gamemasters have tried throwing armored vehicles, great dragons, and anti-magic critters at me often with little or no effect.

The only logical conclusion I can draw from this is that your GM is awful. There are tanks in SR with hardened armor levels that require Naval damage to scratch. There are critters that can drain karma, magic, and wreak havoc with a PC. The best part is that they can be thrown at a mage in waves, or better yet, in a combined arms assault. I've seen a mage with a lot more karma (and with it, experience, Initiate grades, and just sheer power) nearly get killed by a claymore trap because he was distracted by a magical threat.

But that begs its own question: What the hell is the PC doing getting into a fight in the first place?

Finally, great dragons? Plural? What the Hell? GDs have powers that will squash a 100+ karma mage without any trouble. If you beat or outwitted a GD, they were either being magnanimous, or your GM just sucks.

One time I even sat down with a gamemaster and helped him create tactics solely to help him try and kill my character.

That's not a good sign. You should fear your GM, because he should be able to hurt a 100+ karma PC without much trouble.

The ones that could hurt him, couldn't see him.

You contradict yourself below when you say he's an astral beacon. The only effective way to deal with a powerful mage is more magic. It's sad, but true. Accept it, and the world will be a lot easier for everyone involved.

The only effective tactic we came up with seemed to be other spellcasters with a higher initiate grade.

They help, but they are not the only way to give your mage trouble. A PC mage fighting multiple (i.e. around a dozen) high force elementals is going to be a bit distracted when 4 dozen unguided rockets impact their armor spells. Eventually, spells will fail.

He was a beacon in astral space due to all the anchored spells, however there wasn't a single spell on him that was anchored with less than 12 karma, so all the attempts made to take down his buffs were pretty moot as is sense spells would pickup the astral attacks and he would wipe the floor with them while the opponent attacked the spell.

Attack the spells. Fighting a powerful opponent head to head is stupid. It's not advised in RL. Why would it be any different in astral space?

If things got nasty, I'd just pull up a few of my rating 14 elementals I validly rolled for and kept on standby.

Perfectly normal, perfectly healthy choice. They're useful. They are also vulnerable to a physad with a weapon focus.

I stopped playing him around 230+ karma just because it was exceedingly unfair and unfun to my teammates.

Shame. You get a dozen Initiate grades into him, and he'd be a lot more fun to play with.

There were other players that had more karma than I and couldn't hold a candle to my power.

If they're mundanes, then that's not surprising. One of the great things about magic is how powerful a PC can become. It's kind of the point.

Currently, our GM just isn't allowing initate grades, which I agree is a really good tacitc.

No, that's a really lame and pathetically weak tactic by a GM who clearly has no capacity to control his own games.

However it does make it pretty hard to protect your magical gear without initiate masking.

Indeed.

Has anyone else run into similar problems and, if so, did you encounter any positive results against ongoing mage-cheese?

No.
ShortBusFury
I'll ignore most of your other responses as they were mostly just opinionated down-talk in regards to people and events you have no knowledge of. No offense is taken however, as I would have not put such a question on an online forum if I did not expect to have to wade through said responses. I did like one thing which you mentioned, however:

If they're mundanes, then that's not surprising. One of the great things about magic is how powerful a PC can become. It's kind of the point.

Hence me starting this thread and coining the term "mage-cheese". Thankyou for your support. wobble.gif
kevyn668
I'll ignore most of your other responses as they were mostly just opinionated down-talk in regards to people and events you have no knowledge of.

Heh. Welcome to the 'Shock. smile.gif

No offense is taken however, as I would have not put such a question on an online forum if I did not expect to have to wade through said responses.

See above.
Crimsondude 2.0
Glad I could help, but if that's all that you gained from reading my post then my opinion of you is now lower than my opinion of your GM.
Crimson Jack
I'll ignore most of your other responses as they were mostly just opinionated down-talk in regards to people and events you have no knowledge of.

I thought Crimsondude's response was anything but opinionated down-talk. He, along with most of the other posters on this thread, are responding to what has been posted... notice the use of the quote feature? ohplease.gif

It seems like there is a lot of defensive posturing going on rather than interest in ways to examine the point of the original question.
kevyn668
It seems like there is a lot of defendsive posturing going on rather than interest in ways to examine the point of the original question.

Yeah, but that seems to happen all the time around here. wink.gif
I'll Dragon Scrabble you for it.

Whoever wins gets to claim true and overwhelming Shadowrun superiority.
grinbig.gif
kevyn668
Scrabble on!! smile.gif
James McMurray
No, that's a really lame and pathetically weak tactic by a GM who clearly has no capacity to control his own games.

Actually, there's nothing in the campaign that isn't in the core book. That must mean I'm incredibly lame and my game is unbelievably out of control.

Please teach me how to be a real GM! I've only been doing this for 10+ years with players that constantly come back for more campaigns. I'm obviously doing something terribly wrong.

I need your help you big gaming stud! love.gif

Now that we're done with our posturing, what other things can be done by mundanes to level the playing field with mages? I liked some of your ideas. Gimme more.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012