Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to kill a doberman
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Tarantula
To help bitbashers point: Yes, the drone will take a +2 modifier for shooting while in melee, however, I would argue that because its in melee, it quite obviously has direct line of sight to its target, and gets a -3 modifier from that. Totalling out to -1. so Nyah! nyahnyah.gif

Also, unless the drone is moving extremely slowly, it wouldn't have much problem breaking through freezefoam.

Thats another note, its rather quite hard to catch up to a rigger controlled drone playing hit and run on you. Riggers can rather easily shoot, then accellerate, and now its going at least its base acceleration, times however many successes the rigger got, which can be rather fast. Next rigger acctions, decellerate, shoot, accellerate again, and so on.
mfb
i don't think that's going to work so well inside a house. walls, and stuff.
Tarantula
Sure, it'll be a handling check to not crash, but if people can run around in a house, at quickness meters, why couldn't a drone go at least 1.5x that fast without issue?
Foreigner
As I've said before, I'm a relative newcomer to SHADOWRUN, but I have a couple of ideas that might work--dependent, of course, upon whether or not the GM in your campaign allows it.

Nikoli:

I don't recall where I saw it, but on one of the SR-related Websites that I used to frequent (I think that it has since shut down), I saw an EMP (Electromagnetic Pulse) hand grenade listed.

While it was originally intended to give non-cybered/non-magical PCs a means of defending themselves against heavily-cybered opponents, I suppose that a more powerful version would work as well against a drone--provided, of course, that said drone wasn't heavily shielded against EMP bursts.

The same site also listed a Liquid Oxygen (LOX) grenade, which was intended to give mundanes or Street Sams a defense against Water Elementals--although I suppose that they would also be useful for breaking into facilities on a stealth mission. (Think about it for a moment: liquid oxygen has to be chilled to more than 400 degrees below zero (Fahrenheit) in order to stay a liquid; temperatures like that will SHATTER most metals, including high-tensile strength steel alloys, and would most likely be just as effective against reinforced concrete. Since that technique is probably just as effective as using C-4 or C-12, and nowhere near as noisy, it would DEFINITELY be worth checking out.)

This isn't the same site, but it DOES have rules for converting Cyberpunk: 2020 weapons to SHADOWRUN.

You'll find both an EMP rifle and an EMP grenade listed.

BlackHammer CyberPunk Project

--Foreigner
Shaudes29
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Bitbasher: The gunnery section specifically states that you get all of the modifiers from the gunnery tables and all of hte modifiers from the ranged combat table.

Dancer: A spell's force has to be higher than the drone's armor rating to have any affect.

Thanks for the suggestions folks! smile.gif

where does it say that? pg196 says that armor protects from damage at 1/2 its rating not full rating, also 2ndary efect is not damadge. Nothing says that the object must be damadge to be efectyed by the 2ndary efects. The closest thing to that would be the force being 1/2 the objects restence rating, and sence 2ndary efect are OR test armor has no efect.

so a OR base 10(highly procesed object) +2 (for a serious damage spell) is a TN of 12
now I do have a question about the 2d6 that is roled for 2ndary efects. is that 2d6 and add the result? or 1d6(rule of 6) *2?
Kanada Ten
Vehicles add Body + Armor to their OR to determine minimum force (page 182).

But the freeze foam has a Barrier Rating of 12 and could seriously cramp a drone's style if splashed in the turret and body (covering sensors, weapons, exhust)...
Tarantula
The turret the drone comes with is a fixed turret, which means splasing foam on it won't impede function very much, as the drone basically has it welding onto the front of it.

Sensors don't really care about some freeze foam, after all, it already can sense through all the armor it has anyway, all you're doing is adding a barrier that you have to shoot through before you can try to hit the drone.

New idea, freeze foam coated drones before you go into combat! Instant armor.
Shaudes29
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
Vehicles add Body + Armor to their OR to determine minimum force (page 182).

But the freeze foam has a Barrier Rating of 12 and could seriously cramp a drone's style if splashed in the turret and body (covering sensors, weapons, exhust)...

ok so the modified OR for the drone would be (base OR+body+(1/2 armor)
force requierd =1/2 OR
so
Doberman Hitech object OR 8+2body +3 /armor=13or+2 for Serious damage spell=15/2=force 7
now thats giving the binifit of a dout and the dobermen is just a hitech not highly proses object.

yeap might not work.

but
a force 6 lightning would stil efect a dobermen becouse the lightning is not directly cast on the dobermen so..It has already manifest and is being treated as damage not magic.

F 6M lightnig(fetished) Drain (3D eww) -3 for armor=TN3 for resisting damadge
so even if you could not get a secondary efect on the doberman you would stil get a minumum Moderat wound on it becous it could only get 2 sucsese with its body.

may not take the drone down but defently harm it.

Nikoli
With the added bonus of possibly frying a jumped in Rigger's prom memmories out of existence.
Sketchy
If you're a GM, act like it. Don't find ways to have little people kill your drone! Find situations in which the little people can defeat a drone.
Perhaps a gang leader was meeting with a fixer who happens to deal in big boom weapons.
Or, perhaps another team of shadowrunners had another mission in the area, saw the drone and freak out.
Whats to stop your average joes from simply taking aimed shots at exposed areas like sensors or wheels?
A blind drone can't shoot what it can't see. Unless your rigger has half a brain, in which case he'll probably have another aerial drone on overwatch.

The trick is to think like an inside out cat with a dead box inside it.
hobgoblin
personaly i would go for sensor cover and get the hell out of dodge. smoke bombs, even more so termal smoke, metal strips hanging from a rotateing fan to mess up radar, some ultrasound emitters on random, maybe a flashpak or two to mess up visual and a getthoblaster on 11 and loaded with troll trash rotfl.gif

if nothing else, we have one hell of a party smokin.gif

question is, why are they sending in a drone? is it to kill anyone inside? if so then why not just pop some cans of gas tru the windows or "nuke" the building? a drone on spray n pray is going to do hell with the structures stability anyways...

i recall zaping by bbc news one day when they where following us troops in that operation in iraq. when a troop ran into a group of enemys held up in a ruined building and tossing grenades the called in a troop carrier and basicly showerd the building with .50...

so why send in a drone when you can just bring down the building on top of them?
Kanada Ten
New idea, freeze foam coated drones before you go into combat! Instant armor.

Not a new idea. And I don't agree that the sensors are located behind the armor, but whatever. Not only that, the drone still can't break out of a freeze foam coating, its wheels will be locked.
hobgoblin
even if the sensors are behind armor, there have to be ports for the cameras and so on, cover those and the beast is blind wink.gif
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
when a troop ran into a group of enemys held up in a ruined building and tossing grenades the called in a troop carrier and basicly showerd the building with .50...

I'm betting it was an M242 Bushmaster 25mm automatic cannon, not a .50 (HMG). You need to keep firing at a concrete, brick or stone structure for a really long time with an M2 to make it collapse. There's a world of difference between the terminal effect of the two... Plus TV networks have been showing a lot of videos of buildings in Falluja being fired with the autocannons because it's very flashy, quite unlike MG fire.

Bringing in the Bradleys (or similar AFVs) isn't always a possibility. Vehicles of that class are extremely expensive pieces of equipment and difficult to get into several places. Using a small, relatively inexpensive drone to neutralize the enemy with accurate small arms fire is a much preferred option when possible. I think we'd see this development taken to an extreme with SR technology, especially against low-tech opponents (when there's little risk of MIJI, for example).

QUOTE (hobgoblin)
a drone on spray n pray is going to do hell with the structures stability anyways...

The Doberman has a microturret and a firmpoint. You ain't gonna be doing serious structural damage with any weaponry you can mount on those.
Tarantula
It isn't blind, the rigger controlling it just has to rely on other sensor methods to fire with. I'd say +1 or 2 TN at worst, Simply because drones have 4-6 methods of detecting something with sensors, only one of which is sight.
Kanada Ten
The others being sound (which is dampened by freeze foam), radar (which is questionable but likely dampened), virbation (dampened), and that's about it. I'd treat it like giving everyone full cover. +8 all around.
Nikoli
Unless they have spotter drones
BitBasher
F 6M lightnig(fetished) Drain (3D eww) -3 for armor=TN3 for resisting damadge so even if you could not get a secondary efect on the doberman you would stil get a minumum Moderat wound on it becous it could only get 2 sucsese with its body.

Aaah no. The spell is not antivehicular. If the spell was force 6 Serious and cast at a vehicle with 3 armor then the force is divided by two, and the power is reduced by one, just like *all* attacks against vehicles. This makes it a 3m before armor, and the armor reduces it to absolutely nothing. That's with only 3 points of armor.

even if the sensors are behind armor, there have to be ports for the cameras and so on, cover those and the beast is blind 
I'd say the drone would lose the -3tn bonus it revieves from having direct LOS, but that's about it. Drones default target numbers already assume the drone cannot directly see the target, they get a bonus if it can. "blinding" it puts it back to default target numbers.
James McMurray
ok so the modified OR for the drone would be (base OR+body+(1/2 armor)
force requierd =1/2 OR
so
Doberman Hitech object OR 8+2body +3 /armor=13or+2 for Serious damage spell=15/2=force 7
now thats giving the binifit of a dout and the dobermen is just a hitech not highly proses object.

yeap might not work.

You ended up with the right number, but only by accident. Page 150: if the force of the spell does not exceed the armor rating, the spell has no effect. Thus if a vehicle has an armor rating of 6, the average mage's combat spells will bounce off.

but
a force 6 lightning would stil efect a dobermen becouse the lightning is not directly cast on the dobermen so..It has already manifest and is being treated as damage not magic.

F 6M lightnig(fetished)  Drain (3D eww) -3 for armor=TN3 for resisting damadge
so even if you could not get a secondary efect on the doberman you would stil get a minumum Moderat wound on it becous it could only get 2 sucsese with its body.

may not take the drone down but defently harm it.

Sorry, it won't hurt it at all. Page 150: Elemental manipulations are counted as weapons. Their damage level is reduced by one and their power is halved. If the modified power does not exceed the armor rating the spell bounces. A force 6 lightning bolt is a looong way away from being able to hurt a drone with 6 armor.
DocMortand
This is why dealing with Armor 9 Steel Lynxes is problematic at best - Elemental Spells would need to be Force 19 (!) to be able to affect it, Physical Combat Spells have to be force 10 to affect it...and the only weapons that can touch it (besides AV ammo) are vehicle mounted, or launchers that are AV.

How prevalent are splat guns to the streets tho? Talk about immobilizing drones...
Toptomcat
Splat guns. Slip spray. Jammers. Acid. Trolls. Pit traps. Mobility problems. Finding the rigger. Crashing things into it. Plenty of ways to stop drones....
Rev
Eh didn't read the whole thread to see if these are already in:

You could get a heavy drone with indirect application of spells like shape earth.

Might also have the gangers call in a favor from a rigger of thier own. Have them run and hide for like 15 minutes, then an agm takes it out from some arial drone.
Tarantula
Easiest and most likely way to do it with gangers. Have one jump in his ford americar and floor it.
hobgoblin

QUOTE (hobgoblin)
when a troop ran into a group of enemys held up in a ruined building and tossing grenades the called in a troop carrier and basicly showerd the building with .50...

I'm betting it was an M242 Bushmaster 25mm automatic cannon, not a .50 (HMG). You need to keep firing at a concrete, brick or stone structure for a really long time with an M2 to make it collapse. There's a world of difference between the terminal effect of the two... Plus TV networks have been showing a lot of videos of buildings in Falluja
being fired with the autocannons because it's very flashy, quite unlike MG fire.

ok so i dont know a .50 from a 25mm by visual inspection. and the amount of time shown was about 10 seconds or so (focused on the building, not the gun).

Bringing in the Bradleys (or similar AFVs) isn't always a possibility. Vehicles of that class are extremely expensive pieces of equipment and difficult to get into several places. Using a small, relatively inexpensive drone to neutralize the enemy with accurate small arms fire is a much preferred option when possible. I think we'd see this development taken to an extreme with SR technology, especially against low-tech opponents (when there's little risk of MIJI, for example).

my comment about the afv was not so much about useing a heavy vehicle for the job as spraying the target from the outside rather then going inside, so why are they sending the drone into harms way (outside it can be coverd by a second drone, probably airborne, and maybe troops). this is allso gangers, not partisans, so why bring in the drone at all? pop some neuro-stun or teargas tru any opening and wait. then maybe send in the drone to look around.

QUOTE (hobgoblin)
a drone on spray n pray is going to do hell with the structures stability anyways...

The Doberman has a microturret and a firmpoint. You ain't gonna be doing serious structural damage with any weaponry you can mount on those.

then there is the question of what kind of building they have occupied. again, if we are talking a gang on their home turf then we are most likely talking a building marked for demolition or similar abandoned strucuture. how knows what state its in? maybe the walls are weak allready? yes you cant pack a big deal of firepower into a firmpoint but its the amount of holes thats the problem, not the size of them. drill enough holes in any weight carrying beam and it will break. and with other holes weakening the surrounding structure your looking at a collapse waiting to happen. sure bigger holes means you need less of them and the walls can be stronger.

still, if we are looking at a building made of reinforced concrete or similar then why have they not turned it into a bunker. complete with guards at the door and hopefully as so heavy a door as they can get their hands on. and keep it closed at all times when not in use. if the drone cant get in, a lot of the problems are gone.

there is to many unknowns in this thread to say either or. if the drone is allready in, go for sensory overload/confusion and then split. sound detection can be taken out simple by makeing noice all over the place (ultrasound is the diffrent beast). visuals? cover the drone with spray paint, get some smoke going or direct some sharp lights at it. ir? bonfires acts nicely as glare. radar? never underestimate the effect moveing metal objects can have on the radar reflections. hell, chaff is still just strips of metal foil. at worst you increase the noice ratio. but if you see any sign that the drone is confused, get the hell out via any exit available.

if the drone is not in, make every effort to keep it out and to keep a heavy wall or similar between it and you. you may be pinned down but if the drone cant get to you, you can hang around until either reinforcements comes along (for you and/or it) or it have to return for recharge wink.gif
James McMurray
While I appreciate the thought you've put into this, the situation with the gangers isn't the issue, the difficulty in damaging a drone with armor 6+ is.

Heck, the party doesn't even have a doberman yet. I'm just looking to the future.
Kanada Ten
I guess my advice is to throw "realism" out the window and just have fun with missiles, vindicator miniguns, explosives and armored vehicles. Seriously, gangs in SR are supposed to be a threat to Lone Star and go-go gangs rumble with the metroplex guard and military; they must have anti-vehicle weapons.
James McMurray
My only problem with that is that it means the opposition has weapons capable of dealing 16D damage, or they have ammunition with an availability of 18. If its the former, the party memers that aren't drones are going to splatter pretty fast. If its the latter, where did they get them from?

Thsnkd to sll of the replies in the thread! I've told my rigger's player to go ahead andstart loking into acquiring armored drones.
Kanada Ten
Well, I suggest a really limited number of missiles to limit TPK. Say the gang acquired a bunch of disposable missile launchers from a beat out with an Aztechnology hunting party and they've used most of them up. I mean, the weapons have to come from somewhere... So they pull out the RPG when the team pulls out the Doberman.

Availability is also a measure of how willing people are to part with their toys, but for the corps this isn't an issue: they make the weapons. Most often when my team wants high availability stuff they knock over a corp transport or warehouse (hell, in the first mention of APDS we have a single runner hitting Fort Lewis!).
kevyn668
QUOTE (James McMurray)
While I appreciate the thought you've put into this, the situation with the gangers isn't the issue, the difficulty in damaging a drone with armor 6+ is.

Heck, the party doesn't even have a doberman yet. I'm just looking to the future.

Whoa...I think I misunderstood this the first time I read it. You're looking for ways a GM can damage a Doberman?? The world's your oyster, brother. You can use almost anything you want.

If you want to keep it "even" (or make it easy for the PCs), just send NPC Rigger with a Doberman to go head to head with the PCs.

Your NPCs can be as advanced or as weak as needed to provide a challenge to your players.

James, straighten me out here if I'm reading this wrong but did you just ask us to help you (as GM) whack your PCs drone? If so, you do know that any idea we threw up here, at least one of your players saw, right? In fact, it was SBF that sent this thread into the "Gangers vs. the Doberman" spin.

Please tell me I've got this wrong.
Kanada Ten
I don't think Short Bus and James have an "Us vs Them" relationship. From everything I've read, they both want to make things as "level" for all the players as possible.
James McMurray
Kevyn668 and Kanada Ten are both right. I am looking for ways to put a dent in the players' drones without having to pull out the vindicator minicannon's. SBF is trying to make sure that his character doesn't leave the rest of the players in the dust. We've got an odd assortment of two powergamers, two standard power level gamers, and one guy that isn;t concerned about what his character's stats are, so long as it fits the idea of who he wants to be.

That makes keeping things balanced a bit of a problem from this side of the screen, so to speak. The fact that I don't use a screen also makes things exceedingly difficult to balalnce. What can dent the ork physad and doberman drone will put a bit smoking hole in the mage and the B&E artist.

I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot more threads around here of me trying to find the oblique angle of attack for things that will make the adventures challenging for all, instead of challenging for some and devestating for the rest. smile.gif
kevyn668
Kanada Ten
Posted on Jan 25 2005, 09:00 PM
I don't think Short Bus and James have an "Us vs Them" relationship. From everything I've read, they both want to make things as "level" for all the players as possible.

I don't doubt that.

Kevyn668 and Kanada Ten are both right. I am looking for ways to put a dent in the players' drones without having to pull out the vindicator minicannon's. SBF is trying to make sure that his character doesn't leave the rest of the players in the dust. We've got an odd assortment of two powergamers, two standard power level gamers, and one guy that isn;t concerned about what his character's stats are, so long as it fits the idea of who he wants to be.

Okay, that adds a lot of perspective. My appologies if either of you took any offense.

Your crew makes it difficult to maintain a balance.

That makes keeping things balanced a bit of a problem from this side of the screen, so to speak. The fact that I don't use a screen also makes things exceedingly difficult to balalnce. What can dent the ork physad and doberman drone will put a bit smoking hole in the mage and the B&E artist.

Brother, you have got to get a screen. Even if you suscribe to the "I never lie to/cheat my players even if it works in their favor" theory of GMing, there are still a bunch of advantages. At the very least, your PCs don't know how many dice your rolling. Use some cardboard and tape pictures of hot babes to the outside. That'll help distract them. biggrin.gif

Post threads. We'll help. smile.gif
Kanada Ten
Part of what you'll have to do is split the team up from time to time. The rigger needs to assault the generator as the physad and B&E duo wade through paranormals and traps in the sewers, all while the mage infultrates the building to distract the security forces with spirits and illusions (or control manipulations). Stuff like that. Though really, shadowrunning is a rather lethal profession.
mfb
that's not a bad idea. splitting the characters up also allows each character to hog the spotlight in their own situation, which is always fun for the player. not as much fun for the DM, i guess; tracking and collating multiple simultaneous scenarios can be a pain in the ass.
Kanada Ten
I can't believe I'm suggesting it, but CCSS is also something to keep the rigger occupied, and since you don't seem to have a decker it works well. Just make sure the locks are all on a separate system (ie, have the CCSS only control internal drones and sensors) so that the B&E guy isn't out of it.
kevyn668
Plus the other players have to just sit around waiting for thier respective turns...
mfb
hence the scooby-doo concept. ("let's split up, gang!")
kevyn668
I get to go with Daphne (as portrayed by Buffy).

If it were just two groups, it might be a little better.
Kanada Ten
That's just one example of a split.
kevyn668
Just offering a thought.
Nikoli
For more CCSS, re-read the Security section in R3, pg. 45. The access control is often separate from the internal security as CCSS is typically slow to respond to security checks where Matrix is inefficient in maintaining threat response to incursion. The Matrix system tells the CCSS rigger where the problem first occured, they track it from there and start shooting.
Teulisch
First of all, i reccomend the old Call of Chuthulu GM screen. nice artwork, and all these fun charts. good for any game.

The easiest way by far to deal with a drone rigger is with jamming and electronic countermesures. A good jammer is a lot more portable than most the weapons that could hurt some drones. once the drone is no longer under the riggers control, it should be fairly easy to disable.

can the drone be flipped upside down?
Can i splash paint on its optics? spraypaint is something a ganger would have readily availible. For ultrasound, white noise is your freind.

Thermal smoke gernades are usefull. toss a couple for cover and run. once you lose him, you can counterstrike.

The Biggest vunerability of a rigger is that they MUST have a strong transmiting signal to control that drone... Triangulate that signal and goodbye rigger.
Tarantula
Course, then you have robots, who can act think for themselves, or standing orders for your drones. Things like "Defend my body" Or "Return home" Or quite possibly "Shoot anyone except my team".

Another one I like, is a backup laser communication. Have 5-10 micro rotodrones with laser gear on them, then you can launch them and have them relay a signal to the done thats been jammed, then you can continue to order it simple things, like kill him, return home, etc.

Also a great favorite, a drone with an arm attachted. As a matter of fact, the IWS MK 6 (Armed) is a GREAT starting drone for only 22,000. Avail 8, cheap, 4 armor, comes with one str 6 arm and a firmpoint. 6 sig too, not bad at all. (Pg 174 R3R)
Austere Emancipator
Sorry about continuing the thread hijack, James McMurray. I really haven't got any advice on your dilemma, so you can just ignore this if you wish.
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
my comment about the afv was not so much about useing a heavy vehicle for the job as spraying the target from the outside rather then going inside, so why are they sending the drone into harms way (outside it can be coverd by a second drone, probably airborne, and maybe troops). this is allso gangers, not partisans, so why bring in the drone at all? pop some neuro-stun or teargas tru any opening and wait. then maybe send in the drone to look around.

Killing people who are inside a structure with small arms fire from the outside is all but impossible, unless we're talking about a very small structure with plastic/cardboard/sheet metal/wooden walls. That's why I noted the fact that the US forces in Falluja used 25mm autocannons for this -- nothing smaller will do the trick.

In metropolitan areas, most structures are made of concrete, reinforced or not, and whatever replacement materials (plascrete?) are available in the 2060s will be just as hard to break through. 8"/20cm of reinforced concrete, rather common for an outer wall of any large urban structure, takes 35 rounds from a 5.56x45mm (assault rifles, LMGs) to achieve any penetration, or about a dozen from a 7.62x51mm (MMG).

To riddle a concrete building of any size, then, would require tens of thousands of rounds from small arms. A small drone won't deliver that kind of firepower. Dunno what "neighborhood housing" stands for though -- if those are mostly wooden (or plastic in the 2060s) houses, putting the buildings full of holes might work. As might gas in the first CTs when the gangers still don't know what hit them, but that won't last for long.

QUOTE (hobgoblin)
still, if we are looking at a building made of reinforced concrete or similar then why have they not turned it into a bunker.

Why would they? Why would the fortify a concrete building any better than a wooden building? In fact, it would make sense to fortify the wooden building better, since it's far more difficult to defend against any kind of intrusion to begin with.
Club
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)

To riddle a concrete building of any size, then, would require tens of thousands of rounds from small arms. A small drone won't deliver that kind of firepower. Dunno what "neighborhood housing" stands for though -- if those are mostly wooden (or plastic in the 2060s) houses, putting the buildings full of holes might work. As might gas in the first CTs when the gangers still don't know what hit them, but that won't last for long.

nyahnyah.gif OK, massively off topic:

Where would people get the plastic to make these buildings? Even today plastic would not be economic for a building material, and after oil starts running out it will get a lot worse.

Maybe one of the megas biomodified a plant to produce cheap plastic, and it uses so much of the field space formerly used for crops that everyone eats soy? biggrin.gif
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Club)
Where would people get the plastic to make these buildings?

Beats me, but obviously plastics are supposed to be used for such things in SR. At least "Plastisteel" is supposed to be a rather common building material.
Sandoval Smith
Really, I say find ways to use terrain to your advantage. Tight quarters are difficult for rotodrones, broken terrain slows down the wheeled ones. For example, if the gangers retreat across a large drainage ditch, or viaduct, and then blow the ways across, the drone can get to the edge, but not across under it's own power.
hobgoblin
in blue planet they talk about bacteria that produce plastic just by putting them into the mold you want and adding a food source, given a bit of time and you have a readymade wall section.

and what makes concrete strong is the metal reinforcements. without those it would not be able to carry its own weight. its only with cheap massproduced metal supports that concrete have become the material of choice. before that it was only the glue that holds the blicks together. the concrete stops the metal from bending under pressure, the metal binds the concrete together. take out one and the weight of the rest of the structure will crush it all to dust.

and plastic (like any composite) can be made so that it is strong in one direction and weak in a diffrent one (therefor makeing it lightweight), maybe they make the walls thin but have a patterning of fibers in it so that it does not bend under pressure? take out the pattern and flop goes the wall.

and the hardness of the concrete allso depends on the blend. mix it cheap and it may be able to stand up but will not withstand much punishment. and there is allso the question of the thickness.

again to many factors...
Nikoli
Also, a friend of mine lives in an area where the occaisonal report of small arms fire is not uncommon (Ocean Avenue in Virginia Beach), a 9 mm round penetrated through the brick facing and lodged in an interior structural wall. Brick is pretty rough stuff to penetrate. Also, I can't garuntee it was a 9mm but given that the calibre seems to be the round of choice for most criminals and it's incredibly available world wide, it's a safe bet.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
and what makes concrete strong is the metal reinforcements. without those it would not be able to carry its own weight. [...]

True enough. If a building is made out of concrete, it's going to be concrete reinforced with metal rods, what, 99+% of the time? Which only further proves that causing any large buildings in urban areas to collapse is all but impossible with small arms.

QUOTE (Nikoli)
Also, a friend of mine lives in an area where the occaisonal report of small arms fire is not uncommon (Ocean Avenue in Virginia Beach), a 9 mm round penetrated through the brick facing and lodged in an interior structural wall. Brick is pretty rough stuff to penetrate. Also, I can't garuntee it was a 9mm but given that the calibre seems to be the round of choice for most criminals and it's incredibly available world wide, it's a safe bet.

How thick was the brick facing? Doesn't strike me as strange, pistol rounds will tend to perform better at close ranges against such objects than, say, assault rifles. US Army Field Manual 90-10-1 AN INFANTRYMAN'S GUIDE TO COMBAT IN BUILT-UP AREAS says a brick veneer is sufficient protection against 5.56x45mm FMJs (standard assault rifle ammunition) at less than 50 meters.

A 23cm thick double brick wall will take ~70 rounds from an assault rifle or a LMG to achieve initial penetration through, a 30cm thick cinder block wall with a brick veneer will take around 60 rounds. Producing a 20cm diameter hole in the former will take around 120 rounds, while producing a 60cm diameter hole in the latter will take around 250 rounds -- and that's when you're specifically trying to put a big hole in the wall.

The M2 .50BMG heavy machine gun will make short work of the above materials with only a dozen or so rounds, but even it is pretty helpless against concrete buildings. Against 25cm of concrete, it'll take 50 rounds to produce a 30cm diameter hole, 100 rounds for a 60cm hole. In a 30cm thick triple brick wall it takes 15 rounds for a 20cm hole, 50 rounds for a 65cm hole. Against a 30cm thick wall made of a brick veneer and concrete blocks, it takes 25 .50 BMG rounds to produce a 25cm hole, 45 rounds for a 84cm hole.

So, to reduce to rubble the face of a 10 meters wide by 2.5 meters tall building the outer wall of which is made of 25cm thick reinforced concrete, you need to blast it with at least ~7000 rounds from a heavy machine gun or more than 20000 rounds with a MMG. Sounds like a fun way to spend an afternoon... Admittedly I don't know enough about engineering to figure out if the face of the building might collapse some time before that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012