Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The magic bullet?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Sketchy
Just use the material they make stealth line out of, give the bullet an incendiary tip, and have a burnable packet of the catalyst used to beak down stealth line.

Or, use a laser-based weapon.
algcs
How about duel squirt guns. Each firing 1/2 of a binary explosive, similar to what was used in Die Hard 3.

Crimson Jack
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
A bullet consisting of a nanite shell surrounding a large clump of cutters. When it hits, the outer shell lets go (if it isn't already torn off). Wound profile suddenly doesn't matter as much.

Awesome. biggrin.gif
Raygun
QUOTE (Cray74)
How about a gelatin bullet? Not your everyday jiggly store-bought-fun-for-kids Jello gelatin, but some water-soluble gelatin that freezes nice and hard while providing plastic-like structural integrity to the bullet, enough to survive launch.

I believe the gelatin they use in that Mythbusters episode I mentioned was not your everyday jiggly store-bought-fun-for-kids Jello. It was the kind of stuff they use to calibrate ballistic gelatin, only (IIRC) it was mixed to much higher ratio than 90/10.

Wouldn't Explosive ammo have no real way to be traced? The bullet explodes into a million fragments and I don't think even the most obsessive puzzle-assembler is going to put together several grams of dust... <snip>

No. Bullets don't explode that thoroughly for a reason. The components that actually cause a lot of the damage from the anti-personnel type of explosive bullets (if you can call them that) are the little sharp bits that go shooting off all over the place when the bullet fragments. If a bullet exploded into a powdery, "dust" kind of substance, there wouldn't be much there to actually maximize damage effects (in other words, there's no point in making a bullet like that explode chemically when the sheer force of impact would have that effect anyway). Some of those little bits that do the damage are going to make up the exterior of the bullet, which has to be hard enough to hold the bullet together and be stable in flight, yet be soft enough as not to wear the barrel's rifling at an unecessary rate. And in order to maximize explosive capacity (something you definitely have to do in a small arms round), part of the exterior of that bullet is going to have to touch rifling. Those parts are going to be identifiable, even when they're blown into bits. The only real limiting factor is how much time the investigators intend to spend on ballistic forensics.

A non-jacketed, sintered frangible bullet (a bullet made of compressed, non-toxic powdered metals; like Delta, PMC Green, or Sinterfire) will break up rapidly on contact with the target. How much of that bullet would be identifiable, I'm not sure. I've never seen any forensics done on this kind of bullet as they're relatively new and mostly used for training purposes. At any rate, a mid-range shot to the head with a bullet like that would probably not make it very easy for the forensics crew to identify rifling marks.

Short of that, just get rid of the gun afterwards. It pays to have contacts. Anyway, shooting is not a good idea if you're trying to be discreet of mysterious about the whole thing.

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
With current technology, bullets with a very soft and/or significantly fragmenting jacket are pretty much impossible to do a ballistic trace on.

I guess that depends on what you mean by "significantly fragmenting". Those jerk-offs that sniped people around DC used a .223 to do the work, all of it done under a distance of 100 meters. As you and I know, .223 bullets tend to significantly fragment in flesh at that distance. Forensic ballisticians identified each bullet and tied all of them to the same rifle. If you can piece together chunks like these in ballistics gelatin, you can certainly find them in a body, especially after an x-ray. Even after maximum fragmentation, you can clearly see a piece of jacket with rifling marks on it. That's identifiable.

Here's a site all about ballistic forensics for whoever is interested. There's some info on cold-pressed frangibles here as well.
Sandoval Smith
Gel rounds aren't too unbelievable, because they're not supposed to achieve penetration. Therefore, you just need to get a 'gelatin' strong and dense enough to survive exciting the barrel intact, and then it just gives the target a big old kinetic smack. Deformation or even breakup on impact is even desirable to a certain extent, since it's supposed to be a nonlethal round.
Raygun
Uh huh.
Kanada Ten
Subsonic and discharging sabot? Wrapping the gel in fabric apparently works.
spotlite
Not what I thought this thread would be about, but how's this for a magic bullet -

ELD-AR capsule gun with the capsules loaded (probably from a powered storage tank which fills the capsules moments before they are fed into the gun, you'll see why in a minute) with FAB-compound (hence needing to carry a storage tank - how else you gonna keep the FAB alive long enough. I'm not saying the guns would have a particularly fast rate of fire, mind).

High speed dual natured globs. I don't care if the target is astral only - that has GOTTA hurt things like spirits. What immunity to normal weapons? Its a dual natured attack!

Just an idea, while we were talking of magic bullets. I'm sure you'll take it apart, but that's fine since my players will no doubt start doing research to build the damn things soon and I could do without the aggro!

Thought of this while contemplating FAB-coated nets, which would capture a mage's astral form (which has already been coated with the stuff as it flew through the free floating FAB security system in corridor section alpha and is now glowing nicely under the UV lighting so the sec-forces can shoot the net) and force it to the ground. If the floor is also flooded with FAB, then they can't press through the floor to escape but as they are insubstantial they also offer no resistance to the very solid mundane net which sinks through their astral form carrying the FAB with it and... one diced mage.

Mmmm...
Kanada Ten
If the astral form was so how trapped or tied to a physical presence, a FAB bullet would be engaged in Astral Combat and likely be destroyed since it has no Willpower. Dual natured nets? I'll take Manaball for 500, Bob. And, by canon, astral intersection is just Astral Combat.
mfb
raygun, was that actual agreement, or no? gel rounds as presented in SR sound basically plausible to me, but it's not like i've thoroughly explored the world of non-lethal firearm options.
BitBasher
QUOTE (mfb)
raygun, was that actual agreement, or no? gel rounds as presented in SR sound basically plausible to me, but it's not like i've thoroughly explored the world of non-lethal firearm options.

Less-lethal is a more appropriate term.
Raygun
QUOTE (mfb @ Jan 26 2005, 12:18 AM)

No, that was pretty much sarcasm.

Out of perhaps a shotgun or "grenade" launcher a gel round might be useful. At short range. Out of a pistol or rifle, I don't believe something like a gel round would be feasible. The projectile would be too small to produce the intended effect. In pretty much any case, a taser would be a better idea.
Dancer
If you're so worried about the ballistic trace, why not use a conventional FMJ round, then walk over there with a bullet probe, extract the bullet and walk away with it?
mfb
'cos it's easier to just use a shotgun.
Fresno Bob
QUOTE (Crimson Jack @ Jan 25 2005, 03:01 PM)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Jan 24 2005, 11:58 PM)
A bullet consisting of a nanite shell surrounding a large clump of cutters. When it hits, the outer shell lets go (if it isn't already torn off). Wound profile suddenly doesn't matter as much.

Awesome. biggrin.gif

Plus it has the added benefit of saving you from needing a second bullet to kill someone.

Neat idea, but impractical.
Kagetenshi
What do you mean impractical? Don't you have a gear budget the size of a small first-world nation's military spending?

~J
Kanada Ten
Hey, don't go bringing cyberzombies into this.
SirKodiak
What do you mean impractical? Don't you have a gear budget the size of a small first-world nation's military spending?

Well, I do, but I have to use most of it to equip the small first-world nation's military that I run.
CountZero
Well, while I understand we're going for "realism" here. Generally, in my games (even though they're solo because there apparently isn't anyone in the Portland Metro Area running a Shadowrun game. frown.gif ) I go for, "what works" based on whatever I'm using at the time for source material. So I'll probably be using the Ice bullet, expecially for the next run (Runners are hired to find an extremely old pair of dueling pistols known as the... wait for it... "Judas Pair").
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Raygun)
I guess that depends on what you mean by "significantly fragmenting".

I was thinking along the lines of what happens to the M193 behind the cannelure at close ranges. Although I shouldn't be surprised if they could do a ballistic trace on pieces that small, at least in the 2060s.

As for the gel rounds, what's the highest density you can get for a gel to be used for something like this? Like Raygun, I just can't see a bullet made out of a gel that weighs something like 6-20 grains/0.4-1.3 grams (ARs through HPs) being very effective.
ShadowGhost
On one Mythbusters show they proved that a falling Icicle could maim or kill a person.

Making an ice bullet that is fired from a Compressed Air gun would work, but it would have very short range, and the ice bullet would likely have to be much larger than a regular bullet, and shaped to have a sharp point on it, unlike regular bullets.

The Compressed air gun would also have to have it's own coolant supply to keep the ice-bullets frozen, so it would have a very low concealability. Due to the Compressed Air propellant, I would give it very short ranges, like a light pistol, except it would be Single Shot only.

Only other bonus, since it's Compressed Air powered, it would act like a silenced weapon.

This kind of thing can work, but I'd treat it partly like flechette, doubling all armor values, but not increasing the damage done to unarmored targets.

It could work, but it's the kind of thing someone with the "Distinctive Style Flaw" would use.
Jrayjoker
Distinctive style to say the least. Can you imagine a runner toting around a Radio Flyer wagon with the coolant and compressor?
spotlite
QUOTE (ShadowGhost)
On one Mythbusters show they proved that a falling Icicle could maim or kill a person.

Making an ice bullet that is fired from a Compressed Air gun would work, but it would have very short range, and the ice bullet would likely have to be much larger than a regular bullet, and shaped to have a sharp point on it, unlike regular bullets.

In a book by Stephen Brookmyre called 'a big boy done it and ran away' (this man writes truly excellent comedy thrillers) a hitman uses a specially made (in that he made it specially, himself, not that there was someone doing a trade in these things) crossbow bolt made of ice. Shot his mark in the eye, by the time the police got there all that was left was a big pool of blood (slightly diluted, one careless owner).

No idea if it would work, but its cool, no?
CircuitBoyBlue
I had a professor once tell me about a scrapped CIA plan to use crossbow bolts made of ice. I guess the idea there was to get listening devices into the conference room of an embassy. I would imagine the plan got scrapped due to either one of the two obvious holes in the plan that I see, or one of the probably many that I dont'. For one thing, it would still have to break the window. For another, it would create a pool of water, and if I were responding to a broken window and saw a pool of water, I'd at the very least assume there might be a leak and look up.

As to magic bullets, this is why I told Arlen Specter he couldn't be in my gaming group, even if his last name WAS Specter..
Cynic project
In world war two, they had plains to make Air Craft Caries out of ice. The trick to making ships out of ice,is to throw something in it.In WWII they used saw dust. I think it was calk plicrek(sp) and it was harder,strong and took a lot more heat than normal ice.

Now, take away the saw dust and add something like say, ground up bones.
Req
QUOTE (Cynic project)
In world war two, they had plains to make Air Craft Caries out of ice. The trick to making ships out of ice,is to throw something in it.In WWII they used saw dust. I think it was calk plicrek(sp) and it was harder,strong and took a lot more heat than normal ice.

They did have those plans. I seem to recall that the powers that be scrapped them because it was just about the stupidest idea ever, though, so I don't know whether it's a good arguement for ice bullets.
Austere Emancipator
Project Habbakuk, insanely large island-ships made out of Pykrete. It might not be much more stupid than the recently uncovered Gay Bomb, but that's still sufficiently stupid to never have went into production.
Cynic project
I did not say it was a smart idea. I said it was an idea. But as I was told from a few people I trust it was scraped because other means were working well enough. But again that is not the point.

The point is that water,plus something else can make harder ice. It is not that this ice should be used to make warships.
BitBasher
The problem is it's not the hardness that makes it suck, a lot of it is the lack of density.
Teulisch
Plasteel bullets seems very plausible.

There is a metal (saw this on cable... discovery? cant recall) that disolves in water. they use it as a spacer between pipes during welding (pipe inside another pipe).

You could make a gun out of the material, and have the entire gun disolve. (not usefull if you get it wet by accident).

So... lets say i have a gun made of plasteel 7. If i need to ditch it fast, just use the catalyst, and goodbye evidence.

normal bullets from a gun that dosent exist are better than magic bullets from a normal gun. Forensics will only link to a gun... and they need to find the gun, and compare.
Panzergeist
As a criminal justice student who has studied a bit of forensics, I have fun occasionaly watching CSI and laughing at it. Was there really an episode with a frozen meat bullet? That sort of reminds me of the US Air Force expiriments with bird-proof windshields.
Fresno Bob
QUOTE (Cynic project @ Jan 26 2005, 02:34 PM)

What the fuck would be the advantage to an ice ship?
Kanada Ten
Read the article that Austere Emancipator links.
BitBasher
QUOTE (Voorhees)
QUOTE (Cynic project @ Jan 26 2005, 02:34 PM)

What the fuck would be the advantage to an ice ship?

Well, if you read the linked article you'd know that it's a LOT cooler than it sounds.

It's torpedo proof, and naturally buoyant so it can be pretty much any size. You really just can't sink it. It's also really cheap. It also takes almost no power to stop it from melting, and can be repaired in about no time flat with virtually no materials.
Kanada Ten
Actually, I think I have an awesome idea for underwater arcologies...
kevyn668
Well, if you read the linked article you'd know that it's a LOT cooler than it sounds.

No pun intended. wink.gif

Actually, I think I have an awesome idea for underwater arcologies...

If its PbP, sign me up! smile.gif

Sandoval Smith
QUOTE (Teulisch)
So... lets say i have a gun made of plasteel 7. If i need to ditch it fast, just use the catalyst, and goodbye evidence.

The catalyst doesn't dissolve plasteel 7, it temporarily turns it into a gummy, mallable substance. So I suppose you could use it on the gun, wad it up, then stick it to the bottom of someone's chair.

An ice ship could be cool, except for one problem. Heat. Unless it relies on natural propulsion, you're going to have a hell of a time making sure that neither friction, exhaust, or any other signifigant heat sources melt the engine room. There will also be a temprature threshold at which the whole ship falls apart, so you need to stay south of that. Finally, even if the air is cool enough, warm water currents could really mess you up.

Referring back to the gel bullets discussions, y'know, I never really thought about the lack of size. Whenever I pictured someone taking a gel shot, the round had always turned into a big green bullet shaped thing by the time it hit something, so I'd forget that it was fired from a 9mm pistol.
Kagetenshi
Regardless, the gun will no longer be remotely matchable with the bullet. It might not even be identifiable as a gun anymore.

~J
Sandoval Smith
I was just thinking about the amusement value of treating guns like old chewing gum. If you really want to mess it up, lace it with some strawberry flavoring and give it to your local none to bright troll. Just make sure you get it back before it gets too 'old.'
BitBasher
An ice ship could be cool, except for one problem. Heat. Unless it relies on natural propulsion, you're going to have a hell of a time making sure that neither friction, exhaust, or any other signifigant heat sources melt the engine room. There will also be a temprature threshold at which the whole ship falls apart, so you need to stay south of that. Finally, even if the air is cool enough, warm water currents could really mess you up.
Please read the linked story, Ice in the form that theyt are talking about really doesn't melt rapidly at all. A brick of it sant in a lake over a year unassisted before it melted.
Req
Betcha I could melt it, gimme some napalm. cool.gif
Fresno Bob
Ok, even if it kind of effective...its a ship. Made of Ice. The concept is just so goddamn ridiculous.

Why don't we just start wearing meat hats and driving cheese cars?

And wouldn't the sailors all be really cold and miserable all the time?
Req
The best part of that article is where they mention that the Icy Battlewagon can shoot its special ice-freezing gun pump things and freeze shut the hatches on other ships, or give sailors hypothermia.

That's all well and good, but I'll take hypotherma over an 18" shell any goddamn day of the week.
BitBasher
QUOTE (Voorhees @ Jan 27 2005, 04:05 PM)
Ok, even if it kind of effective...its a ship. Made of Ice. The concept is just so goddamn ridiculous.

Why don't we just start wearing meat hats and driving cheese cars?

And wouldn't the sailors all be really cold and miserable all the time?

Funny thing is after doing some research, as stupid as it sounds it's actually a very sound idea. It's attitudes like that that actually kill decent scientific investigation.

Remember murphy's laws of combat. If a stupid idea works, then it isn't a stupid idea.

[EDIT] and no, the people on the ship would notice no real difference. It ended up as much like an island than a ship with the structures built in and insulated.
Austere Emancipator
Mobility would be the number one issue, I think. Floating islands aren't all that useful. In a WW2-setting it would kind of work as a floating airport-island, but these days it'd be useless. Modern firepower can make short work of a ship of any size, and a floating airport isn't needed since all kinds of air missions can be launched from much smaller, far faster carriers.
BitBasher
Today yes, but in WW2 it was a floating base op with a runway long enough to put full fledged bombers on... Which at the time was VERY appealing.
Kanada Ten
I think Pykrete would make excellent walls in an arctic base (slow the melt from heating) and armor on an underwater arcology because it wouldn't be adding pressure.
BitBasher
Actually the aquacology would probably work damn well, except ice expands when it freezes, and ice melts when it compresses, there may be an issue keeping ice under very high pressures without it liquifying.
Kanada Ten
Curses. There goes my ice palace... I know! I'll dikote the ice!
Req
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
Curses. There goes my ice palace... I know! I'll dikote the ice!

But can you have se...oh, never mind. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012