Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dikote
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Rieal82
ok im going to run and hide from every one cuzz i know we all hate dikote but i have some questions about costs

i know you can dikote spurs but ive never see a price can any one give me a price for troll dikoted spurs. im also looking to get a price for dikoting some bone lacing as well as body armor.
Kanada Ten
Surface area of a spur (2in radius X 12in length) 0.0574222 m^2 per spur?

I've always thought Doctor Funk's 24,000ish number was good for spur dikote.
Cray74
QUOTE (Rieal82 @ Jan 26 2005, 02:47 AM)
i know you can dikote spurs but ive never see a price can any one give me a price for troll dikoted spurs.

I tend to set a minimum dikoting price on small objects like spurs and knives at 1000 nuyen, just for easy record keeping.

im also looking to get a price for dikoting some bone lacing

You can't dikote bonelacing. Bonelacing is deposited directly on the bones using nanites. Dikoting is deposited using a 1200C (2200F) microwave furnace filled with methane and hydrogen, which has rather negative effects on laced bones. (And unlaced bones, and the surrounding flesh).

Also, of all the bonelacing materials, only ceramic and titanium have a chance of surviving the dikoting process. Titanium bonelacing's properties would probably be ruined by the heat and hydrogen embrittlement. The ceramic that nanites would deposit on living bone would probably not like a high temperature oven, either.

as well as body armor.

Sure. Body armor coats at the rate of 1000 nuyen per 100 square centimers (a 4" x 4" area). Note that very few body armors can survive the coating process. Basically, I only let security and military grade armors survive, some helmets, and "vest with plates." Most body armor materials will turn to ash in a dikoting furnace.
Jrayjoker
Wouldn't the metal of a sword,spur, or knife also suffer from the hydrogen embrittlement issue? I know you can't galvanize A490 bolts due to that issue, I don't see why swords would be any less subject to the issue than titanium or steel bolts.
Moon-Hawk
No rationalizing Dikote!!! nyahnyah.gif
CoalHeart
Dikote is the byproduct that is generated when a mages makes loves his/her ally spirit Ares Slivergun Homonculi Drone. Tiny gnomes aka nanites gather up the byproduct and paint it gingerly onto your items for a very large price.

It's in the book.
Tarantula
QUOTE (Cray74)
I tend to set a minimum dikoting price on small objects like spurs and knives at 1000 nuyen, just for easy record keeping.

Actually, in the book, it states that dikoteing has a minimum price of 1,000 on anything. So it'd be 1,000 for some earrings, a knife, pen, paperclip, whatever you wanted that was below the base size.
Cray74
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ Jan 26 2005, 02:17 PM)
No rationalizing Dikote!!! nyahnyah.gif

Though its performance enhancement of weapons is rather exaggerated (as is its price), most of Dikote is quite rational. There's no harm rationalizing it, particularly when GMs are called upon to make decisions about what can and cannot be dikoted.

QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
Wouldn't the metal of a sword,spur, or knife also suffer from the hydrogen embrittlement issue? I know you can't galvanize A490 bolts due to that issue, I don't see why swords would be any less subject to the issue than titanium or steel bolts.

The hydrogen embrittlement threat depends on the alloy. Some steels couldn't care less about hydrogen, while others get quite brittle (generally, the stronger the steel, the more vulnerable it is). I think titanium and its alloys are generally vulnerable to hydrogen; ditto for aluminum.

I should've remembered this earlier: you can bake the hydrogen out of most metals, getting to diffuse back into the atmosphere (or vacuum) of a furnace. A dikoting oven would be well-suited to perform this post-dikoting bake. Just pump out the lingering gases and tune the oven to a suitable temperature.

Of course, that bake-out is just one more reason that you cannot dikote bonelacing.
Tarantula
Heres an even more rational reason why you can't dikote bonelacing. You punch, your now very sharp and hard bones come out through the tops of your finger and hand, as well as having your shoulder come out your back. Congratulations.
Rieal82
QUOTE (Tarantula)
Heres an even more rational reason why you can't dikote bonelacing. You punch, your now very sharp and hard bones come out through the tops of your finger and hand, as well as having your shoulder come out your back. Congratulations.

dikoting bone lacing isnt to make is sharper like you do on blades. it makes it harder like the plates in armor when you move around with armor on the now dikoted plates dont cut you apart or the vest that hold them so why would dikoted bones cut your arms open just by punching
Jrayjoker
The biggest concern with dikoting your bones would be the lack of friction between your tendons and ligaments, etc. I could see a lot of dislocations due to extreme slipperiness of dikoted bones (think teflon or kynar, similar concept actually). It would be like having enhanced articulation all over and not just in the joints.
Bigity
I was just wondering about this in regards to basic bone lacing myself. How do tendons and muscle attach to..say ceramic?
Jrayjoker
I would guess that since the bone is covered by the tendon/ligament anchorage the bone there would not be coated during implantation.

Perhaps teflon bonelacing is the cheap man's dikote...

Req
QUOTE (Bigity @ Jan 26 2005, 12:29 PM)
I was just wondering about this in regards to basic bone lacing myself.  How do tendons and muscle attach to..say ceramic?

Yah, the bones aren't removed, laced, and put back in - they're laced in situ by loads of nanites. I presume the insertion points of muscles etc don't get laced.
Cray74
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
The biggest concern with dikoting your bones would be the lack of friction between your tendons and ligaments, etc. I could see a lot of dislocations due to extreme slipperiness of dikoted bones (think teflon or kynar, similar concept actually). It would be like having enhanced articulation all over and not just in the joints.

So...don't coat the entire bone, just follow bonelacing's tricks (if you figure out how to Dikote bones).

I was just wondering about this in regards to basic bone lacing myself. How do tendons and muscle attach to..say ceramic?

Bone is a ceramic. wink.gif

Bonelacing doesn't necessarily undercut tendons and muscles or, if it does, its designed for good attachment. There's a number of tricks in today's implants (e.g., hip implants) for getting good attachment with existing bone. Something similar could probably be cooked up for bonelacing and tendons if it was needed.

Bigity
Yup, I didn't even think about how the lacing was applied, duh. Stupid nanites.
Req
QUOTE (Cray74)
Bonelacing doesn't necessarily undercut tendons and muscles or, if it does, its designed for good attachment. There's a number of tricks in today's implants (e.g., hip implants) for getting good attachment with existing bone. Something similar could probably be cooked up for bonelacing and tendons if it was needed.

There's that neat trick from ACL surgery where they drill a hole through a bone, pass the tendon through the hole, and tie a knot in the other end. The knot keeps the tendon from coming free during the healing process.

A little bit nasty, but I guess it works...
hyzmarca
Embrittlement doesn't matter so much because the object is coated with diamond. So long as the diamond holds up it'll remain together. The base material just provides shape for the diamond coating. Its popular because building a sword out of solid diamond would be much more expensive.

For bonelacing, on the other hand. It would require removing your skin first.
Cynic project
And don't you think that some people would remove their skin?
Kanada Ten
Then the muscle, and then destroying your bone marrow (if not the bone itself) for a +2 armor rating and a cost I don't even want to calculate?
hyzmarca
DOn't forget romoving the brain from the skull. Unless you don't mind it being cremated.
mfb
huh? it wouldn't require removing your skin, it'd require removing your bones--probably one at a time, or even a piece at a time--then coating them, then sticking them back in place. of course, there's the question of whether or not bone can survive the application process intact.
BitBasher
I'm fairly positive that putting your bones through a plasma furnace results in a lot of carbon ash and no bone. This doensn't even count the fact that it was stated that the current forms of bone lacing are the only materials that could be made to work with the process. dikote isn't on that list.
mfb
the best way to do it, honestly, would be to just nanoforge a diamond-laced calcium bone around cloned marrow, then use more nanites to help grow cappillaries into the porous bone structure at the top and bottom of most bones to heck with this pussy "keep the original bones" nonsense.
Cray74
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jan 26 2005, 11:08 PM)
Embrittlement doesn't matter so much because the object is coated with diamond.

Yes, and? Diamond's an impressive material, but it has its limits. As a thin coating (Dikote), it isn't a structural reinforcement. It's too thin - the ratio of length (or width) to thickness means it'll buckle (if it's unsupported) as soon as you look at it cross-eyed.

The substrate determines the bulk structural properties of the item.

The base material just provides shape for the diamond coating.

No. Remember, the force required to break a material is equal to its strength (measured in psi or pascals - force per unit area) times the cross-sectional area of the material you're trying to break. Dikoting is THIN, so even if diamond's strength is high, the diamond coating won't need much total force to break.

Diamond's impressive stuff, but it's tensile strength is only a factor of 2 higher than ultra-strong steels, and its compressive strength is within an order of magnitude of super-steels. At micron-thicknesses, Dikoting won't be aiding the structure it covers much. It'll require a few more pounds to the breaking force of the structure.
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (mfb)
the best way to do it, honestly, would be to just nanoforge a diamond-laced calcium bone around cloned marrow, then use more nanites to help grow cappillaries into the porous bone structure at the top and bottom of most bones to heck with this pussy "keep the original bones" nonsense.

I don't see that having much lower Essence cost than Alpha cyberlimbs, honestly. And not much lower cost either. Certainly not surgery wise.
mfb
me either. but to the extent that adding diamond to your bone structure would be possible at all--actual dikoting being very definitely impossible--that'd be the way i think you'd have to do it, to gain any actual effect. of course, nano-producing a diamond coating on anything is, in SR, impossible, or they'd probably use that instead of dikoting. so the whole idea's moot anyway.
Rieal82
ok so now that i see dikoting bonelacing is a no go (or just to much of a pain in the ass to do) what about dikoting a cyberskull and other things like that? and any one want to guess at the cost of dikoting a broadsword
Cray74
QUOTE (Rieal82 @ Jan 27 2005, 02:40 PM)
what about dikoting a cyberskull and other things like that?

Hmm. I think that's the wrong piece of cyberware to be Dikoting. You'd want to dikote any added cyberlimb/torso/skull armor, not the limb/torso/skull itself.

But if you wanted to...sure, go for it. (Just make sure the Dikoting is done BEFORE the cyberskull is implanted. wink.gif ) It'd be a free point of ballistic and impact armor for the skull. Human skulls seem to be about 2000-4000 square centimeters, roughly, so you're looking at 20000 to 40000 nuyen before street index.

A broadsword is roughly 100cm long by 5cm, so that's 1000 square centimeters, or 10K nuyen.
Deamon_Knight
So, anyone have any opinions on Dikoting a monofilamint whip? Would it really be 13D damage?
Moon-Hawk
I don't think Dikote is flexible.
Tarantula
I'd agree, no dikoting flexible weapons.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Tarantula)
I'd agree, no dikoting flexible weapons.

Especially a monofilament whip. One can argue that since it already is a chain of carbon buckyballs, dikoting it would either destroy it or increase its thickness, ruining it in either case.
Tarantula
Well, I take back the no on flexible weapons. Nunchaku are considered "flexible" but the part you hit with is rigid, so that'd work, same with say a 3-section-staff, and other simlar weapons. Lets just go with a no on whips, doesn't work.

As a side note, even if you could, moving from 12D to 13D is worthless, the same as 7D is just as good as 6D.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Tarantula)
As a side note, even if you could, moving from 12D to 13D is worthless, the same as 7D is just as good as 6D.

Erm, Impact Armor? While the 7-same-as-6 Shadowrun idiosyncracy is one of those number crunching things, there are always modifiers to target numbers which throw things off.
U_Fester
I agree. I would want every extra point becuase of armor. One more point is one more point of armor the person has to have or throw against.
Jrayjoker
Which then logically brings us to the reason that dikote works for edged weapons in the first place. It keeps the edge sharp, and it makes the sides really slippery. The edge does the initial work for starting a flaw in the material to be cut, and the wedge that is the blade helps propigate the flaw by prying the material appart as it slides through. A sword is the simplest of machines, an inclined plane and nothing more. The lack of friction allows the inertial force of the swung blade to be less resisted thereby increasing the power and damage code in SR terms.

So, the conclusion is that dikote on a round thing is useless. No wedge, no increase in power or damage. Just really expensive bones/staves/nun chucks.
Tarantula
I'm pretty sure that it gives a power bonus, it just doesn't add one to the DL as well. The reasoning is that if I hit you with some oak/steel nunchuku, you are going to be very unhappy. If I hit you with some steel nunchuku covered with a harder substance, you're going to be more unhappy.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Tarantula)
I'm pretty sure that it gives a power bonus, it just doesn't add one to the DL as well. The reasoning is that if I hit you with some oak/steel nunchuku, you are going to be very unhappy. If I hit you with some steel nunchuku covered with a harder substance, you're going to be more unhappy.

Then why is it that Steel nunchuku and Wood nunchuku do the same amount of damage? Or an Aluminum bat and a wooden stick?
Tarantula
Because, woods that you make nunchucku or bats out of are already very hard. Steel nunchuku only hurt worse primarily because they have more mass. I'd say the dikoting just helps by making in that fractionally bit harder, and besides, its expensive and in a game, so it should do something useful.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
Especially a monofilament whip. One can argue that since it already is a chain of carbon buckyballs, dikoting it would either destroy it or increase its thickness, ruining it in either case.

You could also argue that no matter what you do with a monofilament whip it would be a crappy melee weapon. Logic won't get you far with that particular piece of equipment, and the same goes for Dikoting blunt instruments.
Cray74
QUOTE (Deamon_Knight)
So, anyone have any opinions on Dikoting a monofilamint whip? Would it really be 13D damage?

Others have given good reasons.

Just to reiterate: Dikoting would ruin the monofilament, particularly if the monofilament is a carbon nanotube. In addition to ruining the monofilament, it would thicken the monofilament, making it "duller."

Just to throw a loop in the logic of not dikoting flexible weapons: at the thickness of monofilaments, dikoting should be flexible. Just like glass gets flexible when you shrink it to a fiber's cross-section, diamond fibers should be flexible, too.

The problem for dikoting flexible weapons would be if the dikoting has a different flexibility - a different Young's Modulus - than whatever it's coating. Since that's probably true in most cases (diamond and carbon nanotubes should have a different modulus), the dikoting will quickly flake off the monofilament and/or the monofilament will break.
Jrayjoker
As was argued before, the strength gain of dikote on a round object is miniscule to the point of ridiculous. And since it is so thin it will not add to the "hardness" of the pipe whacking you upside the head. The area of impact will not change due to dikote and the force of the blow will not change due to dikote, therefore the damaging effects of a bludgeoning weapon cannot be affected by dikote.
Nikoli
However, it would assist if someone were to attempt to cut your blunt object.
Jrayjoker
Not for a direct blow. It is too damn thin. For a glancing blow the cutting edge may slip, but that is it.
Vharn
After reading the description of Dikote (tm ;) in the books and imagening some time over it (and having a little experience with different metals, their properties and so on) I came to the conclusion that Dikote on the one side sharpenes edged weapons because on the edge itself an even smaller edge of diamonds is applied. so far, so good. on even objects i'd say it hardens the material, in the technological aspect.
"The hardness of a material is it's resistance against any object trying to pierce it."
so it would harden any material, making it more difficult for bullets to get through.
where i'm at my next point.
I always thought of plated armor to be...you know, take the plates out of some kind of bag or loose some screws to get them...thinking of something like professional motorbike protection gear.

any agrees or disagrees?
Cray74
I always thought of plated armor to be...you know, take the plates out of some kind of bag or loose some screws to get them...thinking of something like professional motorbike protection gear.

The artwork of milgrade armor suggests its interlocking hard plates, somewhat like "old knights' armor" rather than "plates in a carrier garment."

Other armor with plates (especially vest with plates) almost certainly slide replaceable ballistic panels into pockets, like modern armor vests. Modern armor tends to put hard plates in pockets and use nylon (or similar) hollow garments that hold the kevlar/spectra/whatever armor panels until the panels need replacing.
Nikoli
Also the lined coat has similair construction
JackWill
The plate put in vest is normally titantium and the vest is made of like a 10 layer kevlar... "Kevlar" Is the mesh meterial that disperses the impact of the wound thus making displaces its intertial over an area and not a fine point.

Man dikote is just a no go in any of my campigns really.. i get sick of the "Everyplayer had everything dikoted" same problem with the AVS "everybody gets one" Its just ehh.. be different.. run around with a Panther assualt cannon in the streets with monofilament dreadlocks shooting up stuff =)

But yeah the cyber skull dikote is lelgitamite.. just dikote it before its installed... i amsure there is a way to Dikote bonelacing.. buuuuttt.. i'm not going to get in to that.
mfb
my main char only has one piece of dikoted gear: his shades. dammit, he needs those shades.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012