Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hunting Vamps
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
fistandantilus4.0
Just started playing my first vampire hunter (everyon'es gotta have one, right?), and spent some time going over old threads by HMHVV hunter and Ronin, checking out that nice file w/ helios and others to get some good background.

The character I made (Richter wink.gif ) is a mundane with some cyber (mostly eyes and ears, and a monowhip in his finger). I wanted to make him that way instead of making it too easy and being able to go adept and use astral sight to spot the infected. 'Course now i have to figure out just how to spot them.

So far I've been using thermographics to spot lesser heat signatures. In my mind at least, vamps have a lower body heat, but there is still some. My GM has been playing it pretty well with the whole "vampires are cool" and all the vamp groupies making it tough to tell who's what. Even has what are basically air conditioned clothing to make the posers skin cooler, which makes sense in a world with dwarves and trolls and thermo vision being more or less common.

I've tried watching their breath for heat differences from norms. ALso just their center mass heat since that wouldn't change that much from their little "cool coats". I was also thinking of using a dirctional boom mike or laser mic to check for heart beat rate (yes, I did play MGS:Sons of Liberty. Why do you asK?).

Any other ideas on spotting them?

AS for taking them down,still hunting for a sniper rifle. Character is specialized in nunchuku (pretty sure i spelled that wrong), carries a hk-227s, and is specialized in the monowhip. Has flash grenades (and paks, and flare compensation in his eys), and has the magic resistant edge. ANy other ideas?
Kanada Ten
Talk to your GM about using MM Wave RADAR to identify living verse vampires. He or she may like the idea of vampires appearing slightly different.

One could develope splash grenades that react to infected skin cells by say, perhaps, turning normals' skin purple but a vampire's yellow (or leaving it unaffected). This may use nano tagnets that latch onto the skin but are shed by vampires, or something similar.
Dawnshadow
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
Talk to your GM about using MM Wave RADAR to identify living verse vampires. He or she may like the idea of vampires appearing slightly different.

One could develope splash grenades that react to infected skin cells by say, perhaps, turning normals' skin purple but a vampire's yellow (or leaving it unaffected). This may use nano tagnets that latch onto the skin but are shed by vampires, or something similar.

Take the splash grenades and put a UV dye in them, that only sticks to vampires or humans, doesn't stick to both. That way the vampires can't tell how you're picking them out.. and will have trouble thinking of a way to keep you from recognizing them a later.

You'll need to have some custom gear to see the dye, but it should work, if you can find a way to apply it.
Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate
Pack white phosphorus grenades and magnesium rounds. Thermite is easy as all hell to make (mixing rust and aluminum), though getting it to light is hard (those magnesium rounds would work nicely, though). And for a thermite bomb, rig some thermite to a frag grenade. You'll need some demolitions or B/R for that, as it's a great deal more difficult, but we're talking about a substance that can burn through carbon steel.

Flamethrower attachments to assault rifles are always nice.

If your GM is playing regeneration works the same on stun as physical, those flash grenades are going to do jack-all. You seemed to imply that your GM is having the vampires not generate body heat, but just a heads up, that's not canon IIRC. They're just infected with a virus. Stick with head and spinal shots if you're going to shoot them.

Try not to go one on one if possible; even with magic resistance, elemental manipulations and other various powers will make things hell on you.

Ah, yes. Pack wood dust in aerosol, that'll dampen their day.
A lack of air induced dormancy, but good luck on arranging that.

Vampiric Pawns are immune to normal weapons. These are human pawns indistinguishable from normal people. Beware.

Elemental effects from setting them on fire are somewhat effective, however. The immunity to normal weapons is halved, with armor rating equal to their essence.

Looks like you've got a hell of a job ahead of you, chummer.
toturi
There's nothing in Canon that says vampires exhibit much physical differences from normal (meta) humans and from the Terminus Experiment, I gather it is also difficult for even Awakened with astral perception to spot them too (Short Eyes doesn't count: NPC!).

Going by Canon, the only physical difference is that they have less bouyancy. Theorectically it might be possible to use Ultrasound or Radar to detect vampires with their difference in bouyancy(density). Otherwise, other than behaviorial cues like not eating and strict teetotaller, there is not anything else that I can find.
BitBasher
Man, I would rather be drug across carpet tacks and dipped in rubbing alcahol than have to fight any vamp one on one in SR.

This isn't the game system for that. SR vamps aren't wussy.

Also as stated above SR vamps aren't dead, they just have a virus. They aren;t dual natured and it's not readily visible astrally anyway. You need to take a simple aciton to specifically assense a vampire and then get 4 (or is it 5) or more sucesses on that test to see it's medical status if I recall correctly.

Oh, they can also really move in sunlight without a problem, they only have a moderate allergy to sunlight and they can automaticall regenerate things they are allergic (and vulnerable) to as long as it doesn't do a deadly wound. Sunlight only does a box every minute to them, and they regenerate all damage every 3 seconds.

Easiest way to kill them is a high force weapon focus, at least force 3... higher if you can get it. Since youre mundane that's not an option.

best you can hope for then is massive explosive damage which has the absolute best chance to kill them, which is only 1 in three assuming you get them over deadly before the end of a single combat round. If at the end of a combat round they aren't at deadly they have to roll nothing and all damage vanishes.

Shooting them in the head can get you A 1 in 3 chance to kill them if and only if you can ge tthem to deadly except that their TN to dodge a headshot is the same as any other shot but your NT to shoot them in the head is +4 for a called shot meaning far less sucesses. Again, faill to do deadly damage AND make them miss their regen toll and they erase all damage at the end of the round.

For god's sake don't get into melee with them. They add their essence (up to 12) to all their physical stats. This gives them extra combat pool and body to soak with, and str to deal damage with.

Also they naturally move faster than people with a higher initiative... OH and pray the vamp isn't magically active, because they show a much higher chance to be magically active than an uninfected person. Meet even a half ass vampire mage or physad and you're pooched. Totally.

All in all I just think it's faster to shoot yourself in the headunless your GM is giving handouts to make you feel good. wink.gif
Kanada Ten
On killing, Head Shots are the way for mundanes. Smartlink 2 and Full Automatic with extreme recoil comensation (4 cyberarm gyro mount, 4 gas vent, 1 customized grip = -9). Use the 9 bullets to lower the TN by 3 so that Called Shots will be done at a net -1 TN.
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (BitBasher)
Man, I would rather be drug across carpet tacks and dipped in rubbing alcahol than have to fight any vamp one on one in SR.

This isn't the game system for that. SR vamps aren't wussy.

Indeed. I GM them as creatures similar in scariness to those found in "Dawn of the Dead" (remake) or "28 Days Later". I can't stand that movie (28DL, that is), but it's a good example of how nasty and easy it would be to spread a viral infection around via bites and fluid excretions.
BitBasher
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
On killing, Head Shots are the way for mundanes. Smartlink 2 and Full Automatic with extreme recoil comensation (4 cyberarm gyro mount, 4 gas vent, 1 customized grip = -9). Use the 9 bullets to lower the TN by 3 so that Called Shots will be done at a net -1 TN.

The rules you refer to are Searching Fire if I recall, and it takes a Free Action. So does calling a shot. You only have one Free Action during your phase therefore cannot do this. Can I get a page number for reference? I may be wrong about this.
fistandantilus4.0
I'm going for ways to spot them so that I don't have to fight them head on. Yes, I definitely have demolitions, and b/r.

Just read terminus experiment, and the vamps there idi give off less body heat, but there still was some there.

My plan is to stalk them for a while and attack from suprise, hence searching for an SM-3 rifle, and having c-4.

My idea on the flash grenades is that it would temporarily blind a primarily night dweller. Not really looking for any modifers from stun damage, just a combat phase where they can't see for a sec and i can.

I know that the vamps will get me eventaully. Just hoping to have some fun and go out with a banf. I have hunted4 and darksecret (was fed off by a vamp before. Used to be a "thrall"). Im not going for a D&D style , 1/2 vamp hunter kinda of crap. Just want to see how long I can do it and stay alive. Seemed like a lot of fun/.

That's why I'm looking for suggestions, to make it last a bit longer. Most runners taht keep runnnig should get it in the end anyways!:D

As fas as the radar, got any specifics? How would i make something like that? Has elec, and elec B?R 3 each. So he's capable, but not great.

Thanks for the feedback, more would be welcome! I'll let you know when they finally eat me!
BitBasher
...and go out with a banf.
Nightcrawler? Is that you? grinbig.gif
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (BitBasher)
QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ Feb 15 2005, 08:08 PM)
On killing, Head Shots are the way for mundanes.  Smartlink 2 and Full Automatic with extreme recoil comensation (4 cyberarm gyro mount, 4 gas vent, 1 customized grip = -9).  Use the 9 bullets to lower the TN by 3 so that Called Shots will be done at a net -1 TN.

The rules you refer to are Searching Fire if I recall, and it takes a Free Action. So does calling a shot. You only have one Free Action during your phase therefore cannot do this. Can I get a page number for reference? I may be wrong about this.

You maybe right, actually. Isn't Searching Fire right next to Suppression Fire in the CC? (Yet another reason why Multi Tasking rules!)
Fortune
Shoot them all. Those that get back up with no damage are likely the ones you are looking for.
BitBasher
QUOTE (Fortune)
Shoot them all. Those that get back up with no damage are likely the ones you are looking for.

As funny as it seems, this is probably by FAR the easiest method smile.gif
Kanada Ten
As fas as the radar, got any specifics? How would i make something like that? Has elec, and elec B?R 3 each. So he's capable, but not great.

Propaganda text that's mostly useful. I'd ignore the wall penetration effect for what you want (GMs are a fickle bunch, natch). One could make it, but I'd suggest buying one (charged a bit for a goggle / handheld version ~ ¥4,000 used by Search and Rescue teams) and have the B&R used to modify it for vampire hunting.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (BitBasher @ Feb 15 2005, 10:18 PM)
...and go out with a banf.
Nightcrawler? Is that you? grinbig.gif

That's funny, the first time I posted here, I forgot to spell check and just mutilated an entire paragraph, and swore "from this day forward, I will always spell check", or something equally dramatic. So much for that!

One thing I am trying to do is keep down the collateral. SO far he's found a "club" that's got a ton of vamp wannabe corp kids, and probably a few vamps. It did cross my mind to just blow the whole place, but, wouldn't ya' know, he's got those damn ethics and morals! Besides, that's a lot of angry parents too.
Pthgar
QUOTE (BitBasher)
Easiest way to kill them is a high force weapon focus, at least force 3... higher if you can get it. Since youre mundane that's not an option.

Hmm... HaveI missed something? I thought the only thing a weapon focus' force did for you was to increase your skill while using that weapon. Am I wrong? Does the force add to the T# for the regeneration tes or something?
Pthgar
Try Cascade rifle with silver nitrate. Spary everybody and if they blister it's a vamp (or someone with an allergy). Then open up with your weapon of choice.

Alternatively, vamp hunters in the old movies and books used to spend a great deal of time trying to prove said target was a vamp. Maybe it shouldn't be that easy to tell. Maybe that should be the run. "Investigate this cult leader and see if he's/she's just a whacko or if he's/she's something worse. here's 5,000 bucks. Sucker."
Cynic project
The best vampire hunter..Mind you I did not make him as one, was a voodoun.

AFter about fourth initate grad he fought with a vampire head on.Then again having six levels of immunity to normal weapons, plus being nearly as strong as the vampire really helped.

But here it is.Vampires in shadowrun are hardcore. They meant to be so hardcore,that one vampire could at least scare a whole team of shadowrunners. So making vampire hunters seems to be something that maybe good for solo games or games with a team of them.
BitBasher
Try Cascade rifle with silver nitrate. Spary everybody and if they blister it's a vamp (or someone with an allergy). Then open up with your weapon of choice.
Vampires in SR have no vulnerability or allergy to silver what so ever. Same with garlic and holy symbols and running water. They go "meh" wink.gif

Hmm... HaveI missed something? I thought the only thing a weapon focus' force did for you was to increase your skill while using that weapon. Am I wrong? Does the force add to the T# for the regeneration tes or something?
If a regenerating creature is damaged by a weapon focus it must roll an essence test at a TN equal to twice the force of the focus. If it suceeds the wound regenerates normally, if it fails the wound does not regenerate. Honestly it's by far the best option. It's be far better if you didnt have to get within arm's reach of a vamp to pull it off.

I want to reiterate the point that if the vamp is a physad or adept Oh My God are you so screwed. I can pretty easily make a magically active vampire that can dismantle a whole team in a night. They are right under dragons for "oh shit" factor. vegm.gif

[edit] as a note even with 6 points of immunity to normal weapons a vamp should be able to punch right through that and still cause damage.... Crap, a vamp can make it hurt through milspec pretty easily.
The Grifter
Might I suggest a well-placed 81mm mortar with a white phosphorous/high explosive mix?
Pthgar
I'm going to have a hard time getting the "oh, drek..." factor across to my group.

Two runs ago they encountered their first vamp (an old pc who's player didn't want him anymore and didn't have the good grace to die like a man). I set it up to be the big battle of the run. It was only the second time playing for one of the guys, he made a really excellent shot with a Barret (borrowed from another char). He called it, and blew the vamps head off. I rolled like creamy drek for the vamp and he died. I sat there with an empty look on my face while the player was like "What?"
The worst thing was that his character was based off of a frelling Final Phantasy charecter! ohplease.gif
Pthgar
QUOTE (BitBasher)
Vampires in SR have no vulnerability or allergy to silver what so ever. Same with garlic and holy symbols and running water. They go "meh" wink.gif

Sorry it's been a house rule so long (10 years) I forgot i wasn't cannon. We also house rule that the HMHVV is actually fatal to the infected and opens up the corpse to be inhabited by a malignant spirit, similiar to Master Shedim, although the spirit has no personality other than the victim. Sort of Master Shedim Lite.
BitBasher
I rolled like creamy drek for the vamp and he died. I sat there with an empty look on my face while the player was like "What?"
Wow, that's that the vamp gets for being a frelling retard wink.gif

Seriously for killing vampires, you want a Roomspeeper full of sawdust or wood splinters so when it goes mistform you can immediately force it back physical. And a Panther Cannon. And a belt of ammo. Then shoot it till the cows come home.
Pthgar
This won't help a mundane, but what happens if you heal a vampire? Can you magically eliminate HMHVV? Probably not or it would already be done. But maybe curing the virus also kills the host. I can't think of any canon reference to this idea, but it's probaly out there.

[edit] Also any thing with elemental light effect. Maybe a UV laser pistol/rifle? Or UV flashlight on roomsweeper from above. Killing hands with elemental strike (light) for adepts.

I have a char who's a generalist monster hunter (adept). He hasn't ran into vamps yet but I would like him to be ready.
Herald of Verjigorm
HMHVV changes the DNA of the host into a vampire. Therefore, healing magic restores it to proper vampiric functionality. A cure disease spell cast at the right moment may prevent the vampirism change, but at that moment the host is 0 essence so the effect is similar to torching the body (although makes a more presentable corpse at the funeral).
BitBasher
[edit] Also any thing with elemental light effect. Maybe a UV laser pistol/rifle? Or UV flashlight on roomsweeper from above. Killing hands with elemental strike (light) for adepts.
Elemental light will I velieve up the would level one, but they regenerate the damage normally. Same with sunlight, which they can walk around in with no real bad effects in SR. Sunlight doesn't make them happy, but it doesn't kill them either. The killing hands I believe would up the damage level by one, say from M to S if they have elemental effect (light) killing hands M. Yeah it would help, but not enough that would make any character I've seen wat to give it a try. wink.gif
Lady Door
I was planning on carrying a pair of combat shotguns (you know, the ones w/ burst fire!), and loading one with the Big D shells. The way my GM and I see it, fire damage takes longer to regen than normal. No it's not "canon", but we both just read the terminus experiment (hence the vamp hunting game) and they sure liked using flamethrowers as opposed to panther cannons. Must've been a good reason.

Our house rule for it is that it takes 1 round /pre box of fire damage to regenerate it, because the cell is a lot more dead than from a bullet wound.
I like the idea of loading up a room sweeper with wood chips. My thought on that was to hard bake 'em in an oven use a flechette ammo. Just make sure to make a called shot for the face!

Keep that feedback coming guys, you're keeping me alive here! Already called my fixer to see about getting hooked up with the milli-radar.

Note; Character just spotted his dead girlfriend that he buried 3 years ago when he first decided hunting vamps was a good occupation.Guess how she died? guess how little he knew about keeping vampires down at the time.
hahnsoo
The value of Fire is that it does damage over time. Regeneration occurs at the end of the combat turn, but the Fire will just keep on plugging and burning until it runs out.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Plan B)
I was planning on carrying a pair of combat shotguns (you know, the ones w/ burst fire!), and loading one with the Big D shells. The way my GM and I see it, fire damage takes longer to regen than normal. No it's not "canon", but we both just read the terminus experiment (hence the vamp hunting game) and they sure liked using flamethrowers as opposed to panther cannons. Must've been a good reason.

Our house rule for it is that it takes 1 round /pre box of fire damage to regenerate it, because the cell is a lot more dead than from a bullet wound.
I like the idea of loading up a room sweeper with wood chips. My thought on that was to hard bake 'em in an oven use a flechette ammo. Just make sure to make a called shot for the face!

Keep that feedback coming guys, you're keeping me alive here! Already called my fixer to see about getting hooked up with the milli-radar.

Note; Character just spotted his dead girlfriend that he buried 3 years ago when he first decided hunting vamps was a good occupation.Guess how she died? guess how little he knew about keeping vampires down at the time.

Oops, my GM was using the comp before me, and forgot to log out. That was supposed to be my post.

Well, if my character dies, now you know to blame Plan B!
Pthgar
What we need is a way to get the vamps to swallow a sitck of TNT. How about somehow simultaniously hitting them with splat glue and an explosive ot thermite?

Get someone to make you a shotgun with the selecatble clip feature.
BitBasher
I was planning on carrying a pair of combat shotguns (you know, the ones w/
burst fire!), and loading one with the Big D shells. The way my GM and I see it, fire damage takes longer to regen than normal. No it's not "canon", but we both just read the terminus experiment (hence the vamp hunting game) and they sure liked using flamethrowers as opposed to panther cannons. Must've been a good reason.
The reason was artistic licence, and that was one of the absolute worst SR books ever IMHO. It totally deviated from the way the rules actually work for those things to the point that I actually wondered if the author wasn't ignoring the game entirely and pulling material straight out of his ass. Also, yeah, vamp's will be easy to kill if you house rule them to nerf them and remove some of the challenge.

Somehting can't be "more dead" Dead is a binary state. You can blow off the vamp's legs and it's still going to be fine in 3 seconds, but hey, it's your game knock yourelf out. Your logic however, is flawed. smile.gif

you buried her? did she hold her breath for the burial and just pretend to be dead instead of just getting back up? wink.gif
fistandantilus4.0
The idea was that burning away the body was a lot more damaging than a hole in it. But the ongoing fire damge makes more sense, so we'll probably use that instead.

and she was jsut killed by a vamp. The idea was that the character had just found her being fed on by a vamp and killed it .he has the dark secret flaw that he was sort of border line vamp cult, but was trying to get out, but was addicted. Then he snapped when he found the vampire feeding off of his GF. killed it then buried he, being emotionally distraught and all. It was all in the characters background. Didn't really expect to ssee her again!
Pthgar
Yeah, but I think he means that the vamps in SR aren't really un-dead, just mutated freaks. Besides, the lack of o2 would induce dormancy in the girlfriend and she wouldn't be able to rise. Perhaps someone dug her up?
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Pthgar)
Yeah, but I think he means that the lack of o2 would induce dormancy in the girlfriend and she wouldn't be able to rise. Perhaps someone dug her up?

That was the idea.
Pthgar
Sorry, check edit above.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ Feb 15 2005, 10:08 PM)
On killing, Head Shots are the way for mundanes.  Smartlink 2 and Full Automatic with extreme recoil comensation (4 cyberarm gyro mount, 4 gas vent, 1 customized grip = -9).  Use the 9 bullets to lower the TN by 3 so that Called Shots will be done at a net -1 TN.

Can't call a shot with FA; moreover, the extra bullets add dice. Throw in tracer rounds and the only problem is the aforementioned lack of ability to call the shot.

QUOTE (BitBasher)
For god's sake don't get into melee with them. They add their essence (up to 12) to all their physical stats. This gives them extra combat pool and body to soak with, and str to deal damage with.

Where is the twelve-point cap listed?

~J
Pthgar
That's why I say go with the Barret. You can be VERY far away and still have a decent T# for a called shot, especially with a smartlink.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

~J

Critters list the vamp essence as 2D6
shadow_scholar
it depends upon how much vampire lore turned truth your GM will allow in your game, but my first thought is just use a mirror to see who shows up in it and who doesn't.

beyond that I'd try to get something like a UV laser pointer fabricated. Once again, it depends on if your GM will allow it to work, but if so, the guy who's skin starts to sizzle when you drop that point on him is the one you're looking for. And good luck fighting him, too, 'cause you just pissed him off.

As for your character, I'd suggest getting at least some Wired Reflexes and a SmartLink II. Just like previously mentioned a Called Shot with Smart Link II is only going to add 2 to your TNs, which brings it down to a basic 4 (-2 for SLII, +2 for Called Shot). At least then you've got a chance to do some deadly damage to him before he lays down the whoop ass.
fistandantilus4.0
nyahnyah.gif got the SM2, and a synaptic accelerator 2. I wanted to be a little less detectable ware-wise, mostly since a lot more vamps are likely to be magical, which means assensing. At least in our games, people tend to look more for cyber ware , and always forget about the bio.

For weapons, what I have at the moment is the Frachi BF shotgun w/ Big D shells, and a hk-227 w/ incendiary rounds. Both equipped w/ SG link. Still want a sniper rifle though. Or a rocker launcher. Or a tank. Or an ally spirit. Or a dragon with a good mad on against vamps!

Settle for the sniper rifle though.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)

Are you certain that's a cap and not the Essence of a random vampire found wandering around?

~J
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

~J

From Critters (it's a free sourcebook!), p10, Essence Drain. A critter with Essence Drain may have a maximum of twice the normal essence, which for a humanoid is 12 (and it is stated explicitly in parentheses).
Kagetenshi
I've got a copy of both the physical and PDF nyahnyah.gif

I see, I was looking at Temporary Essence Drain.

~J
Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate
As I recall, fire increases the difficulty to regenerate. So it's slightly more useful.

Slightly.
BitBasher
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Feb 16 2005, 12:36 PM)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Feb 16 2005, 02:18 PM)

~J

Right any vamp can drain essence up to twice the species base essence, which for humans (cause only humans can be actual vampires) is 12.

And let's face it. Any non-retarded vampire is going to heep himself topped out. There's absolutely no good reason not to.

As I recall, fire increases the difficulty to regenerate. So it's slightly more useful.
After checking the critters book in PDF format on my PocketPC (I love you DriveThroughGames) this is listed nowhere. It is but a vapor, a figment of your imagination! a hallucination caused by a seed, a bit of undigested beef! wink.gif
shadow_scholar
I seem to remember something regarding fire for shapeshifter regeneration, maybe that's where they're getting the fire damage nfo.
Cynic project
Speaking of shapeshifters..WHat happens when one gets HMHVV?
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Cynic project)
Speaking of shapeshifters..WHat happens when one gets HMHVV?

They die a horrible horrible death? Since they are technically Awakened animals that take human form, the Human-Metahuman Vampiric Virus probably doesn't change them (and maybe Regeneration prevents the alteration of their DNA). But then again, Sasquatches become Bandersnatches, so I don't know...
fistandantilus4.0
Just at a guess, I wold say that it's not compatible.
Human-metahuman- vampiric-virus
Shapeshifters are not metahumans, so they virus wouldn't work the same way.
Bad flu, death, absolutely jack, no clue. But I don't think they'd turn into were-vampire-tiger things.

Loup-garou, those guys are scary.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012