Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GM who want to run the Renraku Shutdown
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Mr.Platinum
Keep looking for Anti vehicle rounds.
Mr.Cato
I took some runners up the acrology last night and acutaly the drones were not a big problem. It was just the first part of the adventure and I send only groups of 2 drones at the runners. All players could damage the drones but the most effective were the tank of a troll and the crack shot with a custum sporting rifle.
I had some problems with determining the TN for the drones though. Not knowing when exactly to apply the modifiers for sensor assisted gunnery... cover LOS.. ect. ...are they allowed to dodge shots with their pools?
.. and close combat with drones in full darkness... ? .. do I just do a sensor test and then roll 4's ?

The drones lack of karma pool also makes them less lethal.

I had them meet each of the drones seperately and focusing on the atmosphere of the arc. Now than I know the teams capacities... I will match them with drones and security guards further up biggrin.gif
DocMortand
You might thing about using the drones with stunning force rather than lethal - there is nothing like waking up in a zombie room with your scalp feeling itchy...
Velocity
Did anyone see last Friday's (July 23rd) episode of Battlestar Galactica? It ran exactly like an encounter in the Arcology: extremely lethal drones pursuing nigh-defenceless PCs through shadowy corridors as same PCs try to hunt down "explosive rounds," the only thing capable of damaging the mechanical monstrosities. Great atmosphere and a perfect (IMHO) representation of what a group of runners without AV ammo would do in the Arc.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Velocity)
Great atmosphere and a perfect (IMHO) representation of what a group of runners without AV ammo would do in the Arc.

You mean run for their lives? Yeah, that's been my experience. I've been running an arc game for a bit now. It's kinda like dodge ball. They run like crazy when they run out/low on AV's, then get all bad @ss again when they load up and charge back in.

And good times were had by everyone.
Velocity
Run screaming for their lives, praying to find one round--just one round--of viable ammunition. biggrin.gif That's what we call good TV.
ChaosEsper
I have another question about the Shutdown....how did it end? In the RA:S book it doesn't say anything about the resolution of the shutdown, but in SOTA:64 it talks about the arcology being handed over to the Metro Guard and mentions tha the arc is mostly safe. How does it end up being resolved in SR canon?

Oh, and any ideas for getting a team of runners into the arc in the first place? My group is magic heavy, 2 adepts, 2 shamans, 1 rigger, 1 decker, though the rigger character might be thinking of switching to a street sam.
ChaosEsper
Oh, and about the Deus drones, keep this in mind.

In a book I just finished reading, the author makes a good point. If you armored every little wire, joint, and antennae on a helecopter, it would be too heavy to fly. If your runners have trouble with the drones, have one shut-down in a firefight after a runner scores a hit on it. If they get the chance to examine it tell them that they hit a power cable or something. I wouldn't do this too often, just if they are really in a bind and you need a logical reason for them to destroy one of the drones, and they can't get past the armor.
Herald of Verjigorm
The shutdown was resolved in the book Brainscan.
Short story, Deus isn't in the arcology anymore. Long story, read/run the book.
Velocity
If you can find it new or used, Brainscan is worth the investment, IMO. Good read, decent adventure (with a little tweaking) and a solid resolution to the arcology scenario. Plus, it sets up the events detailed in Threats 2 nicely.
Kagetenshi
What ChaosEsper said? Don't do that. There are a lot of other ways to remove drones from the fray (including being called away for other duties or whatever) that doesn't involve blatantly breaking rules.

~J
Angelone
Early on in our game, before we knew about the arcology. We developed EMP spells, basically Slay(machines) (single target and AE), to deal with drones and other such troublesome things. Our GM was so upset when she got the RA:S book, she started strictly enforcing the AE range. Lost alot of cybermonsters that way. Never did get to do the Arc though.
fistandantilus4.0
how about wreck(drone). One of my players has that, is in the arc, and is grinning ear to ear as the rest are counting ammo.
Herald of Verjigorm
Then that player should really read the rules about combat spells affecting non-living objects. She would've been at least as well off with powerbolt.
fistandantilus4.0
she has been doing pretty well with it. The main thing I think is that the drones don't get a chance to resist. Since they're so hard to hit in the first place, this way, all she needs is one success.
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
she

Almost entirely off topic, but in the English language, male is the fall-back set of pronouns for an unknown entity. I corrected my previous post, but using italics to try to make a big deal out of the player being female is unneccessary.

As for the spell, wreck is just a restricted target powerbolt, if the change in drain is the deciding factor between victory and defeat, then it was a good choice to learn that.
Velocity
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
Almost entirely off topic, but in the English language, male is the fall-back set of pronouns for an unknown entity.

Which doesn't make it right. "Man" does not create the image of a woman because a woman is not some version of a man.

[/HIJACK] smile.gif
Kagetenshi
Actually, woman is some version of man. Not some version of a male individual, but "man" is a generic term for the human race in general. Whether or not this ought to be the case is up for discussion; whether or not it is currently correct is not.

~J
Herald of Verjigorm
Actually, yes it does make it right. However, since "man" isn't a pronoun, the rest of your post is beyond irrelevant.
Velocity
In the interests of sticking to my "[/HIJACK]" promise, I'll ignore these posts (though no disrespect is intended). PM me if you want to continue.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (ChaosEsper)
Oh, and about the Deus drones, keep this in mind.

In a book I just finished reading, the author makes a good point. If you armored every little wire, joint, and antennae on a helecopter, it would be too heavy to fly. If your runners have trouble with the drones, have one shut-down in a firefight after a runner scores a hit on it. If they get the chance to examine it tell them that they hit a power cable or something. I wouldn't do this too often, just if they are really in a bind and you need a logical reason for them to destroy one of the drones, and they can't get past the armor.

Called shot to bypass armor. The best FAQ rulling ever.

Pugwhan
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
If Dumpshock can and wants to host these files, feel free.

Renraku Arcology Shutdown: Open Forum
Renraku Arcology Shutdown: Spin Doctoring
Renraku Arcology Shutdown: The Ork Underground

Did these ever get hosted somewhere else? The links are currently coming up dead.
Slacker
QUOTE (Pugwhan)
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite @ Feb 20 2005, 07:28 AM)
If Dumpshock can and wants to host these files, feel free.

Renraku Arcology Shutdown: Open Forum
Renraku Arcology Shutdown: Spin Doctoring
Renraku Arcology Shutdown: The Ork Underground

Did these ever get hosted somewhere else? The links are currently coming up dead.

Really? I just tested them and all three come up fine for me.
nezumi
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Called shot to bypass armor. The best FAQ rulling ever.

Ugh, another reminder of why I never ever allow the FAQ in my games.

Yeah, I just dug out my hardcopy to copy the URL... Links work fine for me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012