Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sentry Guns
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
LinaInverse
Does 3rdEd Shadowrun have automatic sentry guns? Specifically, guns that can accurately fire w/o a skilled Gunner or Rigger behind them? Yes, I know about vehicle turrets, etc, but those all require a skilled Rigger or Gunner. The scenario I'm planning requires that the guns are able to acquire their targets and shoot them by themselves once they are activated (and a friend-or-foe signal to prevent them shooting the wrong persons).

Where do I find costs/avail/etc on these?
Kagetenshi
I know there are some in RA:S. I believe there were also some in CorpSec.

The Farm again?

~J
Kanada Ten
You can use the Ares Sentry II as a base. While mounted on a trailer, it should provide basic details. A drone pilot with sensors, a smartlink intergration and autosoft, plus remote turret and safe-fire system (?) could be built and doesn't require a rigger or gunner by using senor-enhanced gunnery.
LinaInverse
Yup; the Farm. Depending on circumstances, it might be just me, or might be my whole gang of buddies holding out the compound against a whole bunch of Italian capos (my char's primary Lvl 4 hunted). And unlike the ATF, they're probably not going to be giving me 51 days to write the "7 scriptures" (or whatever Koresh was claiming to do).

If the former, then my char needs something that doesn't need any Gunnery skill because I don't have any. If the latter, then it would be nice to use the sentry guns to flush the enemies out (ie, burn their combat pools trying to dodge the automatic fire) before my teammates snipe them from behind reinforced walls. I'll also need the same setup to be able to fire Missiles for when the Capos bring in gunships.
Garland
FoF had sentry guns. I don't know about SR3.

You realize we're going to want a blow-by-blow if/when the Mafia finally takes a shot at cracking "Waco."
Kagetenshi
Suppressive fire is great for burning combat pool.

~J
LinaInverse
Don't worry Garland, I'm sure either I or Docmortand will fill everyone in on the gory details. The farm itself has already been bought; escape tunnels dug, a getaway car stashed and I've already started planting trees around the perimeter to hide the farm from the country road, along with providing a nice place to conceal some mines. I've also already started reinforcing the farm's walls with concrete and scrap steel on the inside. We already have 3 LMGs and 1 MMG set aside, but I need a way to get them operational (hence, my questions here). I still need to buy a few hundred mines, several thousand rounds of ExEx ammo, some C-12 (to self-destruct the house when they converge), and some missiles (for the gunships that will be coming). I'd like to get some mini-guns if we come across them, but that is more of a "hope-and-see".

Kagetenshi, I've not been a fan of Suppersive fire in terms of direct action against the enemy (especially if the area is widespread), but I haven't thought of how it can work in conjunction with aimed fire. I'll have to give that some thought. I initially was wanting to get a couple of Vengance/Vanquishers, which would have been great for suppressive fire, but Doc said that would get too much attention from the military, so I had to kibosh that idea.
Backgammon
Sentry guns are covered in the basic rulebook. Check in that section with the security rules.
Austere Emancipator
The Ultimate(?) Sentry Gun
Tarantula
That, or you can just have a drone without a way of moving itselfs, essientially a dogbrain with a gun and some sensors.
Austere Emancipator
Yeah, that would make more sense, but with the vehicle design rules in Rigger 3, the Light and Medium Industrial Mover chasses are by far the best -- a lot of CF and Load, very low Mark-Up factor.
Tarantula
You realize those are rather large right? As in the light is a bulldozer sized thing.

I'd say more a mini-tracked drone, on a 1 foot length of track, there ya go. Make that, and build off it, or just use the generic tracked drone in the back already.
Austere Emancipator
Yes, they are pretty large -- the Pyramid Protector has a total Load rating of 2500 before any of the gear. But you won't fit all the stuff on the PP onto a small drone. wink.gif

But yeah, the PP is meant for a very specific use -- providing somewhat-mobile, stealthy, highly effective anti-aircraft and anti-armor protection for those with big budgets. If you just want to keep out a few criminals (or police officers), you're better off with something like a Crawler Drone or something -- small, more mobile, rather affordable. Or a Light Axle Trailer.

Where did you find tracked drones?
mfb
edit: aye em wetawded.
hahnsoo
How about small exploding crawler mines as well? biggrin.gif
DocMortand
Heh...I'm staying out of this one, because I already have planned that I and the rest of the team will be playing the capos for a one shot, and Lina gets to man the defenses as GM.

As the defenses get more and more hairy I am definately feeling sorry for the capos...

Some of the mines being discussed are variations on Bouncing Bettys, too...

Don't worry, when we get to the siege and destruction of Angel's Farm, I'll post it up here in all it's gory details.

Keep up the suggestions!
lodestar
R3 also has the trailer mounted versions which is a drone but could easily just be a sentry gun for quick set up defense as well.
Luke Hardison
I don't think anyone answered your questions directly, Lina. The description and rules mechanics of Automatic Gun Systems are in SR3, p. 236. They come in 'dumb' and 'smart', the latter will actually target individuals. For automated guns I use, I abandoned the rules in this section for 'dumb' guns and use the suppressive fire rules insted, with an effective rating of 4 and a set fire arc. That doesn't change the rule extensively, just makes them mesh more with standard suppressive fire.
LinaInverse
Thanks Luke. I'll look at this entry tonight. If they are what I hope they are, a couple dozen of these, 10000 rounds of ExEx, and 500 land mines should gives the Capos something to think about...just before they die!
Luke Hardison
QUOTE (LinaInverse)
Thanks Luke. I'll look at this entry tonight. If they are what I hope they are, a couple dozen of these, 10000 rounds of ExEx, and 500 land mines should gives the Capos something to think about...just before they die!

The only downside is that the book entry doesn't give price, avail, or SI. Your GM will have to wing those.
Austere Emancipator
If you're doing acquisition according to the rules, though, you'll have to ask your GM for Availability and cost (and a number of other things, probably, like BOD and possible Armor, Signature, etc.) for these things. The section in sr3.236 only details how they attack.
[Edit]Slow is me.[/Edit]
Sandoval Smith
QUOTE (LinaInverse)
The farm itself has already been bought; escape tunnels dug, a getaway car stashed and I've already started planting trees around the perimeter to hide the farm from the country road, along with providing a nice place to conceal some mines.

I can't help but get this mental image of some family headed out to the country for a nice picnic, and having a VERY bad day.
Shockwave_IIc
LinaInverse.

Have you ever read Tom Clancy's Hidden Agendas? (The Third Net Force Book i think) There's a Russian Fellow with some nice idea's about the kind of thing you doing with you piece of Real Estate.
Shockwave_IIc
Ignore. Double Post
LinaInverse
QUOTE (Sandoval Smith)
I can't help but get this mental image of some family headed out to the country for a nice picnic, and having a VERY bad day.

While anything is possible, the farm is surrounded by a non-lethal electrified razor-wire fence. The fence's purpose isn't to deter serious opposition obviously; it's intended to discourage casual trespassers (ie, farm kids, door-to-door salesmen, picnicing families, etc). Anyone who makes the determined effort to cut through the fence deserves what they get...devil.gif

QUOTE (Shockwave_IIc)
LinaInverse.

Have you ever read Tom Clancy's Hidden Agendas? (The Third Net Force Book i think) There's a Russian Fellow with some nice idea's about the kind of thing you doing with you piece of Real Estate.

No, sorry, I haven't. I've read most of the Clancy books he's written himself, his non-fiction military ones, and some of Op-Center. Never got into the other series he started up (but to the best of my knowledge, didn't directly write).
FlakJacket
Get backup generator and a supply of fuel so if they cut the power then it kicks in and you're not affected. If you've got an escape tunnel then invest in a load of plastic explosives so when you run for it leave the defences of automatic and have the explosives triggered when the house is breached. Destroys any evidence/clues, causes a lot of confusion to help cover your escape and takes out even more of the bad guys.

If your going for mines, might I suggest adding some sort of remote control feature to them? Plant them normally but have a burried cable linking them to the house. When everything's normal and you're out and about you have them turned off, but if there's an alert or someone attacking you then they get switched on. Lot less obvious since if someone's got the place under surveillance then they're bound to notice if there are large patches people always avoid walking on and suspect minefields.

Speaking of surveillance, you could also loft a Condor drone or two up yourself to keep an eye on things. High signature and endurance makes them pretty handy. Add FDDM/IVS systems so they can act as spotters. Is it possible to add a mortar to a drone turret and have it fired automatically? Even if not, just firing it by hand with seeker rounds on a mix of high explosive and anti-personnel mortars gives you a poor mans artillery.

Deep ponds and other water features are a boon to security. Make them large and deep enough that they can't be jumped or waded through and it helps channel attackers where you want to go. Or leave it shallow enough to be wadeable but add a little surprise like a spitting pike or awakened pihrana. Or have an undeground cable wired to a generator terminate in the botton of it so hit the switch and it becomes electrified.

Of course, all it takes is one phone call by the bad guys to the Feds or local police and you're in big trouble- Waco here you come.
LinaInverse
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
Get backup generator and a supply of fuel so if they cut the power then it kicks in and you're not affected. If you've got an escape tunnel then invest in a load of plastic explosives so when you run for it leave the defences of automatic and have the explosives triggered when the house is breached. Destroys any evidence/clues, causes a lot of confusion to help cover your escape and takes out even more of the bad guys.

If your going for mines, might I suggest adding some sort of remote control feature to them? Plant them normally but have a burried cable linking them to the house. When everything's normal and you're out and about you have them turned off, but if there's an alert or someone attacking you then they get switched on. Lot less obvious since if someone's got the place under surveillance then they're bound to notice if there are large patches people always avoid walking on and suspect minefields.

Speaking of surveillance, you could also loft a Condor drone or two up yourself to keep an eye on things. High signature and endurance makes them pretty handy. Add FDDM/IVS systems so they can act as spotters. Is it possible to add a mortar to a drone turret and have it fired automatically? Even if not, just firing it by hand with seeker rounds on a mix of high explosive and anti-personnel mortars gives you a poor mans artillery.

Deep ponds and other water features are a boon to security. Make them large and deep enough that they can't be jumped or waded through and it helps channel attackers where you want to go. Or leave it shallow enough to be wadeable but add a little surprise like a spitting pike or awakened pihrana. Or have an undeground cable wired to a generator terminate in the botton of it so hit the switch and it becomes electrified.

Of course, all it takes is one phone call by the bad guys to the Feds or local police and you're in big trouble- Waco here you come.

All good ideas, thanks. I'll add the power/fuel, etc to the shopping list. I'm already going to be investing in a lot of C-12; the tunnel will be collapsed behind us, along with a dead body for them to find (as soon as I find a homeless vagrant who has the same gender/physical build/race who's charred remains will be found). And I'm not that worried about the Feds or the cops. The people who are almost certainly coming are the Biggio Mafia family (from New Seattle); highly unlikely they're going to be calling the authorities.

The house borders a large lake facing 1 side (several hundred yards wide). I'm trying to find some dangerous critter that can survive Seattle/Snonomish weather (which would logically but sadly rule out pirahna).
hahnsoo
QUOTE (LinaInverse)
The house borders a large lake facing 1 side (several hundred yards wide). I'm trying to find some dangerous critter that can survive Seattle/Snonomish weather (which would logically but sadly rule out pirahna).

Cybered Geese. Who says they have to be fish? smile.gif
kevyn668
Don't forget the frickin' lasers on thier heads.
Kanada Ten
Sea Leech. Sure, you have to salt the pond, but that will just let you kill the freaking monster when you have to. That or the Spitting Pike. Nasty critters.
kevyn668
With fricking lasers.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (LinaInverse)
And I'm not that worried about the Feds or the cops.  The people who are almost certainly coming are the Biggio Mafia family (from New Seattle); highly unlikely they're going to be calling the authorities.

Oh I don't know. I figure the Mafia Don of Seattle can easily feed the police or ATF the information through either bent cops or informers. And it's a lot easier to have them whacked when they're in prison or 'resisting arrest' than assaulting pre-prepared dug in defences. The cops get to look good arresting a hive of villainy and the Biggio's get to have the PC's either dead or turned out of their bolthole without a shot fired or Mafia goon risked.
Dawnshadow
Depends on how ticked said mafia Don is. If he's mad enough, it might not be fast enough to suit.
FlakJacket
Possibly. Been a while since I read Mob War/New Seattle, does it say whether he's particularly hot headed?
Westiex
While anything is possible, the farm is surrounded by a non-lethal electrified razor-wire fence. The fence's purpose isn't to deter serious opposition obviously; it's intended to discourage casual trespassers (ie, farm kids, door-to-door salesmen, picnicing families, etc). Anyone who makes the determined effort to cut through the fence deserves what they get...devil.gif

I hope you'd also have a sign or two up, warning people there there is some sort of awakened dog around. Also, I'd have the place warded, in case they send a mage into the house to take a look.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
Possibly. Been a while since I read Mob War/New Seattle, does it say whether he's particularly hot headed?

Where is the Farm located, anyway? And did Rowena come out on top?

~J
tisoz
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Where is the Farm located, anyway?

Snonomish

I'm guessing.
Kagetenshi
Oops, missed that one. So it's probably a she rather than a he.

~J
Sandoval Smith
QUOTE (Westiex)
I hope you'd also have a sign or two up, warning people there there is some sort of awakened dog around.

"Beware of Gabriel Hound."
(no matter what the funny little man with the tail says).
Fortune
It seems to me that large amounts of razor wire, electrified or not, would probably preclude the need for a sign.
LinaInverse
QUOTE (Dawnshadow)
Depends on how ticked said mafia Don is. If he's mad enough, it might not be fast enough to suit.

This, of course, is up to my GM. In the real world though, as I understand it, the underworld is built a lot on machoism and toughness. Crying to the cops for killing 1 single person who's little more than a punk doesn't strike me as a good example to be setting to the capo troops.

Also, in New Seattle, the current Biggio head is described as someone who "gets things done" and a vicious, ruthless SOB.

QUOTE (Westiex)
I hope you'd also have a sign or two up, warning people there there is some sort of awakened dog around. Also, I'd have the place warded, in case they send a mage into the house to take a look.

Yes, signs posted. Ignore them at your peril. And there's a Force 8 Lodge set up as a Ward (if I understand things correctly, a Lodge acts as a Ward, but if I'm wrong, then I'll make sure to have wards set up).
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (LinaInverse)
Also, in New Seattle, the current Biggio head is described as someone who "gets things done" and a vicious, ruthless SOB.

You sure? It's not like his nickname is The Butcher or anything...
mfb
you don't get a nickname like "the Butcher" by being a patient, reasonable individual.

edit: curses, beaten to the punch.
Kagetenshi
As long as you're properly messy and brutal once you've got the target at your mercy, you can probably get away with using the cops to bag them.

~J
Sandoval Smith
I think the trick is getting word out that, 'hey, we've found out she's got this place in Snomish, and is holed up there with a couple of friends.' Then a nasty, retribution force comes knocking, the semi-solid waste hits the oscillating device, with minefields, mortars, and machine guns (oh my!) and then KABOOM! The entire place goes up like Barry Pepper's career after "Battlefield: Earth."

And then if all they can find afterwards is a partially charred corpse that they think is probably you, you can call the whole thing a smashing success.
LinaInverse
QUOTE (Sandoval Smith)
I think the trick is getting word out that, 'hey, we've found out she's got this place in Snomish, and is holed up there with a couple of friends.' Then a nasty, retribution force comes knocking, the semi-solid waste hits the oscillating device, with minefields, mortars, and machine guns (oh my!) and then KABOOM!  The entire place goes up like Barry Pepper's career after "Battlefield: Earth."

And then if all they can find afterwards is a partially charred corpse that they think is probably you, you can call the whole thing a smashing success.

Yup; that's the basic overall plan.

I was speaking w/ the GM about this overall scheme. Barring any gross intel errors on my part, the plan was, at first, for them to send a standard hit team (ie, they shouldn't know the full extent of what's waiting). Figure a 6-8 man commando team, assault rifles, heavy armor, magic and rigger support - more than enough to kill a single non-megacorp person under any normal circumstance (especially residential). The first time they hit the mines though, he was suggesting that a smart team would immediately pull back and wait for reinforcements.

Figure the next wave to be huge; Rigger gunships drones, a mine detection team, a large number of goons to set up a perimeter around the property, etc. At that point, it becomes a war of bloody attrition; one that they will ultimately win. The plan (if it works) is to hold them off long enough to give them a good fight (hurt them by killing as many of their solders as we can), sneak out via the tunnels when things become untenable, leave behind a "body" to be burned to a crisp, and drive off in a pre-prepared car set up a couple miles away. Possibly leave town, depending on how hot things are.

No, this won't fool them forever; sooner or later, the truth will slip. But what I'm ultimately hoping for is to buy myself some time to train/grow/etc in capability so that when the real confrontation occurs, I will have a better chance to survive.
Crusher Bob
What if they try ground penetrating radar, sonar, of spirits to check for tunnels?
toturi
QUOTE (LinaInverse)
Yup; that's the basic overall plan.

I was speaking w/ the GM about this overall scheme. Barring any gross intel errors on my part, the plan was, at first, for them to send a standard hit team (ie, they shouldn't know the full extent of what's waiting). Figure a 6-8 man commando team, assault rifles, heavy armor, magic and rigger support - more than enough to kill a single non-megacorp person under any normal circumstance (especially residential). The first time they hit the mines though, he was suggesting that a smart team would immediately pull back and wait for reinforcements.

Figure the next wave to be huge; Rigger gunships drones, a mine detection team, a large number of goons to set up a perimeter around the property, etc. At that point, it becomes a war of bloody attrition; one that they will ultimately win. The plan (if it works) is to hold them off long enough to give them a good fight (hurt them by killing as many of their solders as we can), sneak out via the tunnels when things become untenable, leave behind a "body" to be burned to a crisp, and drive off in a pre-prepared car set up a couple miles away. Possibly leave town, depending on how hot things are.

No, this won't fool them forever; sooner or later, the truth will slip. But what I'm ultimately hoping for is to buy myself some time to train/grow/etc in capability so that when the real confrontation occurs, I will have a better chance to survive.

Perhaps you could get a place smack in the center of a AAA district, where so much heavy firepower is a no-no simply to take down 1 person. Make them get caught between the not-enough firepower and too high profile problem for a change and see how your GM roleplay the hit team getting around that. Allow the hit team to penetrate into your safehouse and blow that up and leave them holding the bag for excessive force. Make sure that you have media contacts too make that stick, and to give them an added incentive to close the file.
LinaInverse
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
What if they try ground penetrating radar, sonar, of spirits to check for tunnels?

There will be explosives to collapse the tunnel after we leave the area. Now, it is possible they'll find out (ie, find that the dirt is packed in more firm in certain spots than it should be), but to paraphrase Hans Gruber from Die Hard, "they'll spend months sifting through the rubble and when they finally figure out what went wrong, we'll be sitting on a beach...earning 20%...".
Kagetenshi
What if they use the aforementioned method before the strike?

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012