Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sentry Guns
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
LinaInverse
Honestly then, that would imply a level of knowledge of the place that says the whole plan was compromised (which case, I'm screwed anyway).
Kagetenshi
The obvious solution is to keep a heavily armored T-bird on hand should you have to make an overland escape.

And ninja. Lots of ninja.

~J
LinaInverse
Forgive my ignorance, but a T-bird? As in a helicopter? Or is it a land vehicle? No, really, I'm not being sarcastic, I'm not quite sure.

The honest truth is, given the Mafiosi SOP, I'm expecting a lot of brute-force, with little in the way of subtlety. If I were dealing with the Triads or the Yaks, I'd expect a bit more subtlety (though by no means are the strangers to brute-force either).
Kagetenshi
Thunderbird. Directed-thrust aircraft. High speed, high armor, what's fuel efficiency?

~J
LinaInverse
Well, one, no one on our runner team has Vector-thrust piloting skill. Just how much does this bad boy cost anyway? And two, how is this safer than my tunnel idea when I'm expecting that the Mafia is going to be coming with helicopter gunships?

Now to be fair, I'm hoping that those gunships won't be there when the escape occurs (hopefully they'll have been shot down by the dozen or so ATGMs we'll be firing) but one never knows. I'm not *against* the idea of a vehicle standing by; I'm just concerned that it might be destroyed by the firefight before we have to leave if it's not hidden away (and the farm isn't *that* large that I have any kind of "James Bond villain" setup going).
Kagetenshi
1) Several hundred thousand nuyen if not several million. I don't remember offhand.

2) It isn't. However, if your tunnel should be detected…

(No, not practical)

~J
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Sandoval Smith)
The entire place goes up like Barry Pepper's career after "Battlefield: Earth."

Wait, I'm not getting this... you're saying Battlefield Earth HELPED his career?

Just kidding. biggrin.gif
Cynic project
So how much do these autoguns cost? Both SMart and Dumb ones..
mfb
they're for security only. move along, non-citizen, shadowrunners have no need for such things.

seriously, though? buy a machine gun, buy some rating 2 drone parts, make a few weapon B/R and electronics (linking to devices) B/R rolls, voila.
Nikoli
Steel lynx's make good sec-drones, when coupled with autosoft and either clear-sight or the enhanced targeting one. comes standard with hellacious armor and a micro-turret. get 4 with LMG's, 2 with GL-12's and a spotter drone.
Cynic project
I was looking for a weapon that could be deployed out the back of a truck,and left to cover when the run goes fubar. Something that you could basically throw out of the back of the truck before running or to set up wile "camping" out in the woods. Not many bears go for your picnic basket if you have automatic weapons that do not sleep.
LinaInverse
Correct me if I'm wrong Nikoli, but those, while formidable, would require a Rigger to coordinate and fire. They can't accurately acquire targets and fire on their own, can they?
mfb
yes, they can. that's why they have pilot ratings. you don't need a rigger to run them in captain's chair mode. all you need is an RC deck.
Nikoli
yup, and with a .3 essence implantation, you can captains chair them with a small piece of cyber.

Add in the B-tac gear and anyone with a DNI-controlled receiver can order fire from the drones.
Kagetenshi
Key word is "accurately". They're going to suck pretty hard without significant modification.

~J
Nikoli
Get laser designators for your weapons, program the drones to fire at what you fire at, when you fire. They aquire what you paint as you target, they shoot where you paint.
mfb
naah. autosoft interpretation systems are pretty cheap, as i recall, and you only need one copy of the gunnery autosoft. i mean, they're not gonna be snipers, but 4 dice is unshabby for an automatic weapon with lots of RC.
Nikoli
add in IVIS and you have some decently intelligent drones
mfb
IVIS is awesome, but pricey.
Nikoli
I've been toying with a concept for an ex-military combat type:
Uses ares alpha with a laser designator top mounted

has the cyber remote deck for programming access

has the b-tac receiver connected to his comm system and datajack (with the feeds from the receiver piped into his vision)

3 lynx's providing force multiplication for heavy combat.
Austere Emancipator
T-birds cost, at the very least, a few million. The high end ones are closer to 10 million. And they can all be shot down with a HMG or Sniper Rifle with AV ammunition or anything heavier.

I'm sure if you had a good rigger and some contacts to trick out a cheap t-bird for this use, it might be a good idea. Without the rigger, the contacts or the gear, it's probably not a good idea, like Kagetenshi himself said.
mfb
problem: you'll have to sit down somewhere and conk out for a few seconds every time you want to give your drones orders. personally, i wouldn't bother with the CRD; if your GM allows it, just make extensive use of preprogrammed orders, and communicate with the drones via headware radio. you may have to expand the drones' memory capacity to do so (house rule: use cyberdeck active memory prices, installing them with the "conncecting to devices" specialization of electronics b/r), since preprogrammed orders can be memory hogs.
Kagetenshi
You can keep the programs in the deck, can't you?

~J
mfb
i believe they have to be in the drone's memory to be used, though the drone can dl them from the deck.
Link
'm hoping that those gunships won't be there when the escape occurs (hopefully they'll have been shot down by the dozen or so ATGMs we'll be firing)

Shadowrun's Great Dragon, the final answer in weapons convergence - what can't it kill?

Regarding drones accuracy, I reckon you should use manual as well as sensor gunnery, which ever is to the drones advantage. With a smartlink they're not too bad then.
Fortune
QUOTE (Link)
Shadowrun's Great Dragon, the final answer in weapons convergence - what can't it kill?

The Leopard III! biggrin.gif
Crusher Bob
In reference to my earlier comment about tunnel detection...

If the first guys to show up at your house o'death run into mines, the follow on teams may try some of the above and find your escape tunnel by luck.

Make sure that there are defenses in place along the tunnel, and at the exit point, so that anyone camping out there has a bad day.
Necro Tech
QUOTE (Cynic project)

Ares Sentry II RGR3 pg 175. Everything you need for just 43,500 nuyen.gif Except the weapon of course.
DocMortand
vegm.gif

Thanks you guys, you're giving ME ideas on what form(s) the response will take, and at what levels.

Now who was it that had access to Thor shots....vegm.gif
LinaInverse
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
In reference to my earlier comment about tunnel detection...

If the first guys to show up at your house o'death run into mines, the follow on teams may try some of the above and find your escape tunnel by luck.

Make sure that there are defenses in place along the tunnel, and at the exit point, so that anyone camping out there has a bad day.

Anything is possible of course, but the tunnels are very deep (they were dug by a Force 6 Earth Elemental). Ground penetration sonar isn't *that* powerful unless they're specifically looking for it. And again, if they're doing that, then either the GM is using OOC knowledge, or my plans were specifically leaked to my target (the latter being more likely; Doc's been good about not doing the former).

To be wholly fair, the standard method for a military to deal with a mine field would be to rain artillery on the suspected area to set them all off. The other way I've seen of course is guys wearing bomb-suits and carrying metal detectors. I've never seen it done w/ radar because quite frankly it'd be a lousy way to do it. Once a battlefield begins engagement, there's going to be shards of metal all over the place, creating a hell of a lot of false readings (and if there isn't, I'll put false metal plates all over the area myself if that's what it takes).

I will try and have something set up in the tunnels, but it can't be too hair-trigger or I'll risk burying myself trying to escape.
Tarantula
QUOTE (Link)
[QUOTE]Regarding drones accuracy, I reckon you should use manual as well as sensor gunnery, which ever is to the drones advantage. With a smartlink they're not too bad then.

Manual gunnery means a rigger jumps into the drones turret to shoot it himself. No VCR no manual remote gunnery.
LinaInverse
QUOTE (Necro Tech)
QUOTE (Cynic project @ Feb 24 2005, 01:33 PM)

Ares Sentry II RGR3 pg 175. Everything you need for just 43,500 nuyen.gif Except the weapon of course.

Thanks a bunch; I'll look these up tonight. As for weapons, our group has 3 extra LMGs, a MMG, and other spare weapons stashed; those won't be a problem.
Nikoli
You need the "kits" to convert those to vehicle mount for the drones
DocMortand
Yeah, I've already pointed out the sentry gun in R3R to Lina. One slightly off topic question bugs me tho - How much would you charge for concertina wire? I came up with a availability, but I can't find even a semi-close wire type thing to base a comparison on...I know there is a listing for monowire, but I couldn't find that either.

This is helping Angel's farm...which is becoming quite the hedgehog of defenses....I wonder what a Thor shot would do to it tho...
LinaInverse
Concertina wire (SR3, p234) was what I interpreted as SR3's equivalent to razor wire. One step up from barbed wires, but not as vicious (or expensive) as monowire. In the real world, it's not all that expensive and is usually bought in bulks of coils. I assumed that monowire (based on the cost of the monowhip) is extremely expensive, but if there's a canon source that says otherwise, I'll gladly switch to monowire.
Austere Emancipator
The only price quote I could find for steel-core concertina razor wire is $62.88 for a roll covering 50ft. I'm not completely sure about that, since simple rolled barbed wire costs somewhere around $100-150 per 1320ft (402 meters), but then razor wire is a lot nastier.
FlakJacket
Just had a thought- can't underground tunnels be detected by thermal imgaing from the air? IIRC Rigger 3 says that thermographic sensors come as standard on even fairly low end sensor ratings. So all the bad guys have to do it throw up a drone to have a look at the place before hitting it and they've got a chance of spotting it.
mfb
nastier, maybe, if you land in it, but it should be a lot easier to get over. no hooks and barbs to catch your clothing and throw you off-balance if you screw up. rolled barbed wire is probably cheaper because it just has twists of sharpened wire tied to it every few inches, whereas concertina wire has sharpened barbs welded (or otherwise attached) in place along every inch of the wire itself.

at a guess, i'd say the tunnel-spotting thing depends on the ground cover over the tunnel, the depth of the tunnel, and whether the tunnelers took measures to prevent such detection.
LinaInverse
Tunnels are, in my mind, go down about 100 feet, then through a mile or so underground before coming up to an underground bunker (off-premises on public land and yes, I check it now and then) where a car is stashed. I can't see how you would detect tunnels that deep with thermals when the air is essentially the same temperature as the soil.

Two, anything in the air above the farm is going to be targetted with ATGMs. It won't be there long enough to get a good look.

Three, if they do have really good sensors, they're going to be far more interested in the hundreds of metal blips near the surface (the mines), the multiple pointed-round turret-shaped mounts around the perimeter and the concealed spiked tiger-pits than the obscure shadow that might be an aquaduct for all they know.

If razor wire is nastier on impact than a perimeter, then I might use the cheaper barbed wire (electrificed naturally) as the perimeter fence, then coils of razor wire as the lining in the 25' tiger pits (now you see why the tunnel is so deep).
DocMortand
Hmm...there ya go Lina - 3 nuyen/m for concertina, 1 nuyen/3m for conventional barbed wire.

Gah...I'm half expecting some of grimtooth's traps to pop up in this...
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (mfb)
nastier, maybe, if you land in it, but it should be a lot easier to get over. no hooks and barbs to catch your clothing and throw you off-balance if you screw up.

I don't know what kind of razor wire you've seen, but the kinds I've examined up close and personal certainly had the equivalent of hooks and barbs and would catch just about anything touching them.

QUOTE (mfb)
rolled barbed wire is probably cheaper because it just has twists of sharpened wire tied to it every few inches, whereas concertina wire has sharpened barbs welded (or otherwise attached) in place along every inch of the wire itself.

That's probably the main reason why. I don't know if that's actually part of the definition or just a rather common occurrence, but the razor wire I've seen tends to be much stronger as well.
Kagetenshi
I doubt it's stronger in general; razor wire is just as easy to breach as barbed wire to a properly-equipped individual. Against someone with few to no tools, however, it's far more difficult to breach.

~J
mfb
hm. actually, i've never seen razor wire up-close and personal. i assumed it was just, y'know, sharp wire. and now, i've made an ass out of you and 'ume'. my bad !!
DocMortand
I have - it's what is generally along the top of prison fences.

nasty nasty stuff that slices you up while snagging you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012