Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magnification 3 + other mods
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Backgammon
Ok, here's my problem. I have a player who has ALL the (useful) eye mods in his cybereyes, up to the 1.2 max. He uses the gyrojet pistol. Whenever he takes a shot, no mater what range up to the max of the gun, his TN is almost always 2 unless I throw in some cover mods. He picks out guys and kills them in 1 hit before they can even see him.

Now I'm all for players being able to purchase cyber to make themselves a cut above the opposition, but my real problem is with image magnification.

I have trouble seeing how being able to zoom in with your eyes on your target makes your shot more accurate. The scope on a rifle is one thing: it's fixed to the stock, so whatever your scoping on, your gun is pointing at. But your head is not connected to your gun. So how does zooming your view mean you'll be aiming better? So with the very cheap and affordable eye magnification, you guarantee all shots you will ever take will be base TN 4. Add smartlinking and basic visual amplifiers and you're looking at usual shots of TN 2-6 tops.

Anyway, any "canon" tricks on limiting TN 2 always shots before I break out the bag of House Rule whupass?
hahnsoo
Only one "visual" mod can be applied when shooting. So you use either Smartlink, or Laser Sight, or Optical Mag, but you can't combine them in any way.

Edit: I'm not sure about the Laser Sight + Visual Magnification. The entry in the BBB p280 says that Visual Magnification can't be used with a Smartlink, but doesn't mention Laser Sights.
Cray74
If a target stands out in the open, then I really don't have a problem with a PC getting a low TN on such clean shots. They have the skills and the gear - let'em have TN 2.

My suggestion would be to consider using more cover, particularly if the targets are aware they're being shot at. In buildings, there should be more cover than you can shake a stick at - corners, desks, filing cabinets, etc. In cities, it's the same thing. Cars, corners, bomb-resistant trashcans, etc. You don't regularly have combats on open football fields, do you?
SirKalamon
Where does it say one cannot reduce the base target number for distance using an electrical or optical magnification on a cyber eye and the -2 bonus from smartlink at any time?What about the mods of thermographic and lowlight which can be used at the same time for the layering rules of visibility modifiers?
cth
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
Only one "visual" mod can be applied when shooting.  So you use either Smartlink, or Laser Sight, or Optical Mag, but you can't combine them in any way.

Actually, only the smartlink has this limitation. IIRC, there is nothing in the rules which prohibites a mag-3/lasersight combo as long as the target is within range of the lasersight.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (SirKalamon)
Where does it say one cannot reduce the base target number for distance using an electrical or optical magnification on a cyber eye and the -2 bonus from smartlink at any time?What about the mods of thermographic and lowlight which can be used at the same time for the layering rules of visibility modifiers?

Page 280 from SR3. It specifically states that Imaging Scopes and Smartlinks can't be used together. Also, under cybereyes, it also states that Visual Optical Magnification and Electronic Magnification use Imaging Scope rules. So no Smartlink + Magnification. The jury is out on Laser Sight + Magnification... I'm fairly certain they don't stack, but I need to find a reference.

The "visual mod" rule is only for the case where you have a Laser Sight, Smartlink, and Optical Mag on the same gun.
hahnsoo
So, in further reading and culling through most of my sources, I find nothing that prevents using a laser sight and Visual Magnification together. Score another one for the much maligned laser sight, I guess. The typical laser sight only goes out to 50 m, with reduced ranges for rain, smoke, fog, etc. There are expensive high-powered lasers that go out to 500 m available as well.

Also, from the Shadowrun FAQ:
The rules state that image magnifying scopes are not compatible with smartlinks, but what about cybernetic vision magnification or the equivalent adept improved sense?
While a character may be simultaneously equipped with a smartlink system and an imaging scope/vision mag cyberware/vision mag adept power, the modifiers from both may not be used at the same time. So a samurai could use vision magnification to reduce the target number when shooting a target at long range, and then switch to using a smartlink to reduce the target number against a target at short range--but he couldn't use both the smartlink and vision mag modifiers on the same target.
Lindt
Oh finally a ruling on that. Long ranges are usefull again!
Brazila
Also not that a lot of people care, but the FAQ says
The rules state that image magnifying scopes are not compatible with smartlinks, but what about cybernetic vision magnification or the equivalent adept improved sense?
While a character may be simultaneously equipped with a smartlink system and an imaging scope/vision mag cyberware/vision mag adept power, the modifiers from both may not be used at the same time. So a samurai could use vision magnification to reduce the target number when shooting a target at long range, and then switch to using a smartlink to reduce the target number against a target at short range--but he couldn't use both the smartlink and vision mag modifiers on the same target.
Tanka
QUOTE (Brazila)
Also not that a lot of people care, but the FAQ says

Look two posts above you. nyahnyah.gif
Mortax
Great! Now I can stop some of the rampit sniping. Makes it harder on my NPCs, but....smile.gif
Backgammon
ram...pit... what the hell is that??

Oh, "rampant". Woah, rampit had all sorts of weird images in my mind.
Tanka
QUOTE (Backgammon)
ram...pit... what the hell is that??

Oh, "rampant". Woah, rampit had all sorts of weird images in my mind.

*snigger*

Normally I have something witty to add to that, but all I can think of is "rofl."

Braindead day! Yes!
BitBasher
Also, in a gunfight, EVERYONE should be diving for hard cover, it keeps you alive!
GrinderTheTroll
There is something in CC about Rangefinder+SL2, IIRC it reduces the penalties for the ranges beyond Medium or something. It's a small snippet somwhere.
Critias
Part of the problem is the Gyrojet pistol, too. Those things are sick.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Critias)
Part of the problem is the Gyrojet pistol, too. Those things are sick.

Can't get them in APDS, and they require their own skill. The damage code is way out there, but it IS firing miniature rockets...
mfb
a compiled list of NPC tactics that keep them from getting venilated so damn fast:

1) cover. even two points is nice.
2) smoke grenades.
3) flashlight-equipped weapons (glare)
3) hide-and-seek (shoot, duck out of sight, move to a new location, force a perception check and a surprise check)

feel free to add.
ShadowGhost
Not to mention, since the Gyrojet rounds are rockets, they leave a nice little contrail leading right back to the gun. But as a pistol on land, they have shotgun ranges.

And there are two types of ammo for the Gyrojet - regular Gyrojet Rockets: 12M(12S underwater), and Plus Rockets: 12M(12S underwater), but the PLUS Rockets use the rules for APDS, *AND* they're anti-vehicular (AV).

And availability is only 14, compared to 16 for "regular" AV rounds.

But the downsides are noise (Rocket launching, and explosion when it hits), Contrails that lead right back to the gun, a pretty distinctive sound, and they require their own special skill - not Pistols.
Nikoli
Flash-paks, weather (it is gerenally raining in seattle), fog, smoke, glare, movement, etc. It all adds up rapidly.
Smiley
Whatever PCs can use, so can NPCs. Just raise the threat level.
Endgame50
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
There are expensive high-powered lasers that go out to 500 m available as well.

I think its range is 1500 m at night.

The rangefinder on the smartlink 2 reduces TNs by -1 for long range and -2 for extreme.

SL-2 TNs would look like
S M L E
2 3 3 5

Vision Mag 3 + high powered laser sight
S M L E
3 3 3 3

Which is basically only better at extreme range, only when it's within range of the laser and nothing's blocking said laser. (Okay, it's better even then, but by a smaller margin)
mfb
the hi-power laser sight has a range of 500m at night, 150 during the day. the normal laser sight has a range of 50m. moreover, the bonus from a laser sight is negated completely by an form of smoke, mist, or rain.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (ShadowGhost)
And there are two types of ammo for the Gyrojet - regular Gyrojet Rockets: 12M(12S underwater), and Plus Rockets: 12M(12S underwater), but the PLUS Rockets use the rules for APDS, *AND* they're anti-vehicular (AV).

EEeep! That's right! And you can use a laser designator for Seeker rockets. Oh dear Lord...
Puck Wildhorse, M.D.
Not to mention that the target of the laser sight or his buddies can make a perception test to see the laser dot. I can't tell you how many times I've seen the hero of a TV show notice the laser dot and jump out of the way just before the sniper fires. It's practically a TV action scene cliche.

I have no problem with a sniping character on a clear day against an unmoving target having a target numbers of 2 for the first shot. After that, he should either have to deal with targets taking full cover (8 points) or running and dodging.
Endgame50
QUOTE (mfb)
the hi-power laser sight has a range of 500m at night, 150 during the day. the normal laser sight has a range of 50m. moreover, the bonus from a laser sight is negated completely by an form of smoke, mist, or rain.

Ack, good catch. You can tell how often I use laser sights smile.gif
tisoz
QUOTE (ShadowGhost)
Not to mention, since the Gyrojet rounds are rockets, they leave a nice little contrail leading right back to the gun. But as a pistol on land, they have shotgun ranges.

And availability is only 14, compared to 16 for "regular" AV rounds.

But the downsides are noise (Rocket launching, and explosion when it hits), Contrails that lead right back to the gun, a pretty distinctive sound, and they require their own special skill - not Pistols.

Be sure to apply the scatter rules for rockets, too.
sidartha
I don't think that the scatter rules apply to the Gyrojet since it's a Quickness based skill rather than a Int or Str based.
Although if I'm wrong I'll blame it on the lack of reference books.(Hobbit snot on my CC finally gave out)
mfb
hm. they are rockets. i don't remember--do they have an area effect?
ShadowGhost
They may use miniature rockets for ammo, but the Gyrojet still follows the same rules for Pistol ammo - so there's no scatter, etc. Normal Rocket rules don't apply.
Endgame50
Well, they're not listed as having an area effect and they're only 6mm, so I would say no. On the other hand, one has to wonder if the other rocket rules apply.

Normal Rockets have scatter, and scatter distance listed, which the gyrojet lacks. For the sake of convenience, let's assume it doesn't have scatter, especially since they go out of their way to mention the seeker heads do have scatter.

The rule I'm wondering about is SR 3 p 120: All missiles and rockets arrive at their target at Combat phase 1 of the last initiative pass of the combat turn in which they were launched. Since it does mention they're rockets, I don't see why this wouldn't apply--which means I wouldn't touch a gyrojet with a reach 2 collapsable bo.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Endgame50)
The rule I'm wondering about is SR 3 p 120: All missiles and rockets arrive at their target at Combat phase 1 of the last initiative pass of the combat turn in which they were launched. Since it does mention they're rockets, I don't see why this wouldn't apply--which means I wouldn't touch a gyrojet with a reach 2 collapsable bo.

Huh, so the slow characters get a better chance at dodging the fast character's missles than the fast ones do at dodging the slow characters'? How does that make any sense at all?
Tziluthi
A revision on those ranges, unmodified extreme is 9, so SL2 would be seven, and rangefinder+SL2 would be 5. Although, correct me if i'm wrong, but if you're firing at something over half a kilometre away, wouldn't you need some sort of magnification to actually see your target? And what effect is a rangefinder actually meant to have? Does it allow you to calculate the trajectory of your bullet? If so, wouldn't that be useful only outside of the bullet's effective range, when it really starts to arc?
mfb
stop. just stop right there. whenever someone starts trying to figure out how smartlinks work, bad things happen.
ShadowGhost
QUOTE (mfb)
stop. just stop right there. whenever someone starts trying to figure out how smartlinks work, bad things happen.

Amen..... you really can't examine a lot of Shadowtech too closely... or they fall apart in one way or another.
JaronK
QUOTE (Tziluthi)
And what effect is a rangefinder actually meant to have? Does it allow you to calculate the trajectory of your bullet? If so, wouldn't that be useful only outside of the bullet's effective range, when it really starts to arc?

Well, that's what it does. It only helps out at long and extream ranges.

JaronK
mfb
bullets arc over the entire course of their flight. there is no part of the bullet's flight that is not a curve.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (mfb)
bullets arc over the entire course of their flight. there is no part of the bullet's flight that is not a curve.

Of course, the curve changes quite a bit on impact. biggrin.gif
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (mfb @ Mar 1 2005, 08:56 PM)

Unless you're firing perfectly straight up.
Tarantula
Nice try RunnerPaul, but bullets won't keep a perfectly straight line, especially on the way down. After they've had to turn around.
mfb
disregarding factors like wind, a bullet fired perfectly straight up (or down) will not arc. few shots are fired perfectly perpendicular to gravity (or whatever you call it when your line of effect is directly through the center of a sphere), though so it's not really germane.
hahnsoo
Although a line can be thought of as a curve, mathematically.
Tarantula
Disregarding wind, but not the effect of air resistance, a bullet fired perfectly straight up will arc. The spin to give it greater accuracy as well as very minor imperfections in the bullet itself will cause it to drift (even if only nanometers) during its flight. Especially depending on the type of bullet and its typical behaviors, tendancys to tumble for instance would really make it not straight up and down.

Also, it can be considered a curve, since it has time as a factor in it.
mfb
regardless, it's got nothing to do with the conversation at hand.
Sandoval Smith
QUOTE (Puck Wildhorse, M.D.)
Not to mention that the target of the laser sight or his buddies can make a perception test to see the laser dot. I can't tell you how many times I've seen the hero of a TV show notice the laser dot and jump out of the way just before the sniper fires. It's practically a TV action scene cliche.

OT, but that was one of the high points of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, when the hero noticed the red dot, and then utterly failed to get out of the way...

Anyway, as for the rangefinder, it gives a precise distance to the target, which allows your SL II to adjust the reticle to provide precision interception between the flight arc of the bullet and the target .
tisoz
QUOTE (Endgame50)
Well, they're not listed as having an area effect and they're only 6mm, so I would say no. On the other hand, one has to wonder if the other rocket rules apply.

Normal Rockets have scatter, and scatter distance listed, which the gyrojet lacks. For the sake of convenience, let's assume it doesn't have scatter, especially since they go out of their way to mention the seeker heads do have scatter.

The scatter is listed as 2D6 on SR3.120. There is a table there that lists the scatter and also the power reduction. Since the Plus are AV they have a -8 power/meter. Standard are AP so are -1/.5meter.
ShadowGhost
Canon Companion, pg 26:
Missile and rocket launchers use the statistics and rules on pg 120 and 179 of SR3. A character firing a rocket or missile launcher uses  uses the Launch Weapons skill. Launchers cannot mount standard firearm accessories unless otherwise noted. Ranges for rockets and missiles appear on the Weapon Range Table, pg. 114.

Since the Gyrojet Pistol uses the Gyrojet Pistol Skill (linked to Quickness), and it is not a Launcher, and it states that Plus Rounds use APDS Rules, "except that they are also anti-vehicluar", I would say this weapon *only* uses rocket rules when using seeker heads. Also, it has completely different ranges than any Rocket on the Rocket Range Table, which doesn't list the Gyrojet. (Shotgun Range on Land, Pistol Range underwater.)

On page 40, on the table at the bottom, under Damage;
For Standard rounds, Damage is "As Weapon"
For Plus rounds, see Rules ("Plus Rounds use APDS Rules, except that they are also anti-vehicluar")
For Seeker Heads, "As Rocket"

So the rules on page 120 would only apply to seeker heads. For the Standard, and Plus rounds that are NOT seeker heads, I wouldn't use Rocket rules - just standard ranged combat rules for regular ammo, and APDS/AV ammo.

Another one of those fun weapons with rules all over the place.

But the cool part - this weapon can shoot around corners with a target designator using Seeker Heads biggrin.gif
BitBasher
OT, but that was one of the high points of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, when the hero noticed the red dot, and then utterly failed to get out of the way...
I dont remember anything like that and I own all the episodes that are legally available here... When did I miss that happening?
Wounded Ronin
Oh, yeah, don't forget to have someone cast a spell on him.

"I cast a spell...!" - The Dead Alewives.
mfb
bitbasher, it happens towards the end of season 1. if you haven't seen it, i don't want to ruin it for you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012