Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wha huh?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Fortune
QUOTE (nezumi)
The FAQ was updated on what, March 15th of this year? 13 days ago? Yet we have 4th edition in playtesting?

I *SUSPECT* that someone in Fanpro was planning on a fourth edition on or before March 14th. In fact, I have a nagging suspicion SOMEONE in Fan Pro had one planned back in 2004! And unlike things like personal e-mails and journals, the FAQ does serve as the OFFICIAL voice of Fan Pro. It's on their website and maintained by their web people. If Fan Pro, not the author of the FAQ, knows a 4th edition is in the works, leaving the FAQ statement is a lie. It is their responsibility that that lie is there. Whether they were ethically obliged to take it off their website is up to debate, but there is no question that they were publicly advertising a lie as their corporate line.

The FAQ was updated around March 1st of this year. At that time, the disclaimer about SR4 was dropped. Prior to that update, the last time the FAQ was amended was more than a year previous to that date, which was before SR4 was planned. The FAQ did not lie, as the date of each update was clearly marked at the top of the page.
winterhawk11
Yeah...if the response was "I can neither confirm nor deny that," I'd be suspicious that something was up.

How would you feel about this:

Fan, prior to SR4 announcement: "Is FanPro working on SR4?"
Rob: "Not at this time."

Hey...it's true--they're not working on it right at that particular moment. Sure, it's a little deceptive, but it's less likely to arouse suspicion than "I can't confirm or deny it," and it avoids the out-and-out lie. Everybody's happy. smile.gif
Jon Szeto
Or at least you'd think so. sarcastic.gif
Nikoli
Face it, with the annoucement of SR4 they killed a good bit of potential sales on the PDF's for SR3. After all, why re-buy your books for the soon to be outdated version? The majority of the folks buying them will either only use them for fluff and background (I basically ignored the meta plots to this point, and couldn't give a flying drek about the GD's the IE's or the Horrors for that matter)
Sandoval Smith
I rather doubt that. I've bought all of my PDFs AFTER the announcement of SR4, because I've got some games running that aren't just going to stop dead in August. I have a friend going to Gencon, and I'm going to have him try and pick up a copy of SR4, but I'm not going to stop my current games dead, although I might start up a SR4 campaign and run both. The PDFs are still immensely useful for what I'm running now.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (nezumi)
The FAQ was updated on what, March 15th of this year?

The FAQ was updated on the 1st. The formal announcement of SR4 was the 15th.
Fortune
And the non-core books will continue to be useful even after the advent of SR4, even if you do switch to the new system.
Bigity
Depending on what and how many of the metaplots are killed off, yea.

The matrix-fluff probably won't be very useful either.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012