Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Damage Codes / weights revisited?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
apple
Do the damage codes and weights of the weapons get revisited? Light pistol 6L vs heavy pistol 9M vs assault rifle 8M vs light MG 7S? 2,5kg standard weight of an heavy pistol vs the 1,8kg of a real life desert eagle and an 1kg of a Glock, HK or Colt-pistol/revolver with a potent caliber?

SYL
GrinderTheTroll
I'd always thought expanding out the damage codes by a factor of 10 (as well as health boxes from 10 to 100) would allow for a finer level of damage that's harder to impose under the long-standing system.

Admittedly, I'd miss the simplicity.
Austere Emancipator
Seeing as how "[t]he core mechanics are completely revised", I can only assume they've been/will be revisited. Will they be any better remains to be seen...
UpSyndrome
I hope they tighten up the damage codes a bit, considering you can make a starting archetype-level character that does something like 28M damage with a handblade, which blows firearms out of the water.

-Joe

EDIT: Correction, he'd have to have a pair of handblades, and that code is without staging.
Nikoli
That'd be a good start.
Eyeless Blond
I wonder if they managed to get rid of Open Tests?
Nikoli
If nothing else gets fixed in the basic mechanics, let's hope for that one.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)

Maybe Open Test have become the standard, now you'd need to make an Open Test for the shooters TN, or OT to be the subject of any other attack/spell what-have-you.

...so much hate for the Open Test.
Crimsondude 2.0
I love open tests.
apple
I hate them ...

SYL
Wireknight
Open Tests are great, except that the mechanic by which karma rerolls are applied to them (i.e. 1 KP for 1 rerolled die, 3 KP for 2 rerolled dice, 6 HP for 3 rerolled dice, etc...) makes you really want to beg the GM to just give you an insanely high TN# so you can reroll your potential failures without emptying out your karma pool.
Ombre
Open tests totally suck...
They are a statistical aberration since they don't do justice to differences in skill levels. There's no point in raising your skills above 6 (as far as cost is concerned) because basically once a you get a 6 your skill level doesn't matter anymore. since you only have 1 chance in 6 of geting a 6 on a die, having Stealth 4 or Stealth 6 doesn't make that much of a difference. And if both contestants get 6s, then it's just a question of sheer luck to see who's going to get the highest roll.
That's why I've fixed the rule by giving a positive modifier to the most skilled contestant equal to the difference in skills (i.e: A runner with Stealth 6 trying to sneak past a guard with Perception 3 would add 3 (6-3) to his Open Roll) .

But in my opinion, the best system is to revamp the thing to go back to the good old Opposition test with the highest number of successes determining who "wins" the contest.

My worst fear is exactly what someone said: that the Open test becomes the standard system in SR4...if that so, I'll stick to my good old obsolete SR3...
Fortune
You can also put my vote down for doing away with Open tests.
Jrayjoker
Aw man! I just figured out how and when to do open tests.

Now they go and potentially change things on me, or don't change things on me, or something?

Wait I'm confused... twirl.gif
Smed
Another vote for the abolition of Open Tests.
Grinder
We view Open Tests as an additional rule and simply don't use them. Works fine. After all, use only the rules you and your gaming group want. wink.gif
Critias
QUOTE (Ombre)
Open tests totally suck...
They are a statistical aberration since they don't do justice to differences in skill levels. There's no point in raising your skills above 6 (as far as cost is concerned) because basically once a you get a 6 your skill level doesn't matter anymore. since you only have 1 chance in 6 of geting a 6 on a die, having Stealth 4 or Stealth 6 doesn't make that much of a difference. And if both contestants get 6s, then it's just a question of sheer luck to see who's going to get the highest roll.

I understand that probability is less predictable when you're making an open test, and it turns a fairly simple "beat this number" die mechanic on it's ear and complicates issues...but...

What are you saying, here?

You don't seem to get that the more dice you roll, the better your odds to come up with something ridiculously high. Open tests take greater skill level into account just as much as a regular TN based test does, it's just harder to predict with any decent accuracy level, and much more likely to feel like a roll of the dice. Six dice is better than four. Sit down and rull four dice in an open test a hundred times, and six dice in an open test a hundred times, and I bet that on average the six-die test is going to have higher "best" shots. Ditto with, say, six dice versus four hundred and sixty three. You can see that more dice is better, can't you? There's no reason to stop at the magical 6-skill-dice. You know that, right?

That said, I can't think of many times at all open dice come up, except for...two situations, off the top of my head. One is intimidation, wherein the intimidating character sets the TN for the intimidated character's Will test (if I recall correctly). The other is stealth, wherein the sneaking character sets the TN for the spotting character, right?

They sort of make sense, there, in those two situations. It makes sense that trying to scare the crap out of someone you may or may not know (who may or may not know you) is a highly variable situation. There are times a single cop flashing his badge will get a half dozen gangers to back down. There are times the entire US army throwing it's weight around makes half the world flip them off. It's chaotic and random and full of unquantifiable variables. I'm fine with open tests being used there. It makes the 'Runner less likely to get everything he wants by dropping his name and glaring at someone -- the unpredictable nature of the open test makes it less of a sure thing. If it wasn't, every Shadowrunner in the world would get some vat grown pheromones, cultivate a high Intimidation skill, and never ever do anything ever again (because the TN mods listed in the book, the rep mods, and Mr J's LBB's crazy mods would make Intimidation a sure thing most of the time, and you could just browbeat anyone into doing anything you said).

I also feel an open test makes sense for sneaking -- likewise, if it becomes too much of a sure thing to sneak around...? Well, a lot of the suspense is gone, and a lot of PCs (a lot more PCs) will die without ever seeing what's shooting at them. Sneaking and spotting should be things you never feel certain about. There should always be a chance someone gets lucky and turns his head at the right second, looks away from his buddy to cough and spots you, sees a reflection or hear a piece of gear jingle no matter how stealthy you are. The random nature of an open test reflects that -- you can still very very much stack things in the sneaker's favor (I once rolled a fifty-something, after mods, to sneak past some people), but it's not a sure thing (I once rolled a four with that same character, while tippy-toeing up on the brainwashed head of security for the Deus-run Renraku Arcology, at a critical moment).
Taran
You don't seem to get that the more dice you roll, the better your odds to come up with something ridiculously high. Open tests take greater skill level into account just as much as a regular TN based test does, it's just harder to predict with any decent accuracy level, and much more likely to feel like a roll of the dice. Six dice is better than four. Sit down and rull four dice in an open test a hundred times, and six dice in an open test a hundred times, and I bet that on average the six-die test is going to have higher "best" shots. Ditto with, say, six dice versus four hundred and sixty three. You can see that more dice is better, can't you? There's no reason to stop at the magical 6-skill-dice. You know that, right?
The issue is that six dice are not better enough than four dice to warrant the expense. Let me inject some figures:

On the left, we see the number of dice rolled. On the right, we see the expected value of an open test made with that many dice.

1 - 4.217978
2 - 5.792721
3 - 6.8916106
4 - 7.6336365
5 - 8.266773
6 - 8.842815
7 - 9.371663
8 - 9.681032
9 - 10.077892
10 - 10.416958
11 - 10.7442255
12 - 11.064394
13 - 11.30267
14 - 11.629637
15 - 11.79942

Variance is pretty low (I've not done the math, though), decreasing with the number of dice. We see that, for example, the difference between four dice and six is about 1.2. Not small; someone with six dice will consistently beat someone with 4. But is that worth 16 karma? The difference is more pronounced between six dice and nine, which is worth another 1.2 of final result but the expected increase per karma point spent is tiny...especially compared to what you'd get if you spent that karma on another skill or two.

Here's the code I used to produce the above, if you care. Edit: or not. The code is here, but the board ate the indenting and the code tag doesn't work inside the spoiler tag.
[ Spoiler ]
mfb
that's why i'm never comfortable with stealth rolls. a guy defaulting to 2 Qui might roll a 16 and be super-ninja; a guy with 7 sneaking and 6 bonus dice from centering might roll (just as a hypothetical for-instance that has never happened to me, personally) no higher than a 5. variance is nice, but that's way, way too much.
Fortune
Open tests must die!
Akai Sokata
Aw man! I just figured out how and when to do open tests.

Now they go and potentially change things on me, or don't change things on me, or something?

Wait I'm confused... 

I think im in agreement with this guy...I gusse Im what you call a late bloomer when it comes to shadowrun...really I've been ajusting to SR3 from 2 for about a year and half, maybe two years. now Ive had alot of set back, but bascally I feel its got a nice hard solid system. so leave it alone and give it some more sorce books and stuffers to work with. SR4...ok idea...contuineing SR3 great idea. say what you will of me...but I stick with what I say.
Wireknight
The open stealth test thing is just one example of where people really, really, have to research rules that appear spread across multiple books, before they can find all the proper methods for adding to the final results of an open stealth test to reliably produce difficult-to-match results. If those variance values are accurate (though I'm not 100% certain they are, they seem a bit high for lower numbers of dice, which casts doubt on the the correctness of the algorithm employed), then I am also in agreement that something needs to be done about open tests. I think they add an interesting bit of flexibility to the system, enough that they ought not be done away with entirely, but there ought to be something that can be done about minimizing the chance of things like people with no Stealth, defaulting to Quickness, routinely out-sneaking people who rely upon (and have spent a not inconsiderable amount of resources developing) their skill.
Charon
QUOTE (Taran @ Mar 16 2005, 09:01 PM)
On the left, we see the number of dice rolled.  On the right, we see the expected value of an open test made with that many dice.

1 - 4.217978

(...)

Arg, I don't feel like cracking open my stats book open but that can't be right.

The expected value of an open test using one D6 dice just has to be 3.5

Don't make me do a demonstration, I suck at demonstrations! But I know that 2 +2 = 4 and that the expected value of 1D6 is 3.5

Therefore I can't trust the other numbers you provided.
Kanada Ten
Well, the problem is that 1d6 can yeild much more than up to 6 on SR, and a roll of 6 automatically makes for a 7.
mfb
indeed. if not for the rule of six, you'd be right. the fact that you can roll a d6 in SR and come up with a result of 100 changes the odds up a bit.
Charon
Oh.

Right. Sorry.

It's getting late isn't it? Lack of of sleep and all that. embarrassed.gif
Zen Shooter01
I agree weights are a bit wonky, but is it really such an issue?
Bossemanden
I tend to treat open tests as opposed tests instead.
GrinderTheTroll
I'd like it if they offered some basic dimentional data on weapons. What size is a Panther Cannon? Since it has no "real" counterpart, it would be helpful for some non-traditional items.
Arethusa
Personally, nice as good descriptions could be, I'd prefer they prioritized getting things right in general.

QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)

Is there really any reason not to fix something so obviously fuck up and yet so simple?
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Personally, nice as good descriptions could be, I'd prefer they prioritized getting things right in general.

QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)

Is there really any reason not to fix something so obviously fuck up and yet so simple?

It's really not *that* wrong is it? I know alot of folks really want firearms to really emulate real-life more, but the system hasn't done too bad has it? The exploits aren't that extreme are they? Guess I just don't see the current system as a problem.

What I wouldn't like to see is additional detail that bogs down combat situations unless it's made it into something simple. I've seen before some systems have a "basic" and "advanced" combat sytem, so you can choose depending on what kind of game you'd like to play, maybe that's one solution.
Arethusa
No, I'd say it is that bad. Lack of any reasonable consistency with reality is bad enough; it already disassociates the game from reality and make immersion more difficult with no goal, benefit, or reason for doing so. But lack of internal consistency or reasonable balance? That's sloppy design layered on stupid design.

There is a deep flaw in thinking that more complexity means slower play. Not only is the current system hardly streamlined or intuitive, but a system that reflects reality (let's say, for example, the bulk of Raygun's stuff) is not cumbersome. It aids in immersion and ultimately ends up being reasonably intuitive.

And it's been done. D20 Modern and Spycraft both proved something I had been saying here for some time: you can make a game with plenty of realistic rules, and if it's well designed, it's still accessible, intuitive, and enjoyable, and it can beat the ever loving shit out of SR3— a game that was ostensibly designed with all that abstraction in order to make it playable and problem free.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Arethusa)
No, I'd say it is that bad.  Lack of any reasonable consistency with reality is bad enough; it already disassociates the game from reality and make immersion more difficult with no goal, benefit, or reason for doing so.  But lack of internal consistency or reasonable balance?  That's sloppy design layered on stupid design.

So why do you play then? Is it just the great story?

There is a deep flaw in thinking that more complexity means slower play.  Not only is the current system hardly streamlined or intuitive, but a system that reflects reality (let's say, for example, the bulk of Raygun's stuff) is not cumbersome.  It aids in immersion and ultimately ends up being reasonably intuitive.

I have no problem getting immersed into SR. It's not about "how real" it is for me, but about the people, the situations and the jobs. We each play for our own reasons obvious you have more requirements for it being real to get into the game.

And it's been done.  D20 Modern and Spycraft both proved something I had been saying here for some time: you can make a game with plenty of realistic rules, and if it's well designed, it's still accessible, intuitive, and enjoyable, and it can beat the ever loving shit out of SR3— a game that was ostensibly designed with all that abstraction in order to make it playable and problem free.

Then go play something else. /shrug
Lordmalachdrim
QUOTE (Arethusa)
D20 Modern and Spycraft

Could we please refrain from mention that abomination that is D20?
Deacon
Open tests seem like an add-on mechanism which really doesn't work, in my opinion. Whoever came up with the idea must have really thought he had something going, though. The problem is that they're an extra mechanism that the game doesn't need.

And Ombre is right; an Open Test is not based mainly on skill, but on luck. A person with a Stealth of 2 has a slightly less chance of pulling some ungodly target number out of that Test as a person with a Stealth of 6. All skill levels get you is more dice to throw at the Invisibility Lotto.

While they do seem to have their place in low-level games where luck plays an integral factor in such things, Open Tests don't need to be a core mechanic of the game. If you run a higher-power game, then they don't really need to be part of the game at all; the randomness can throw the power curve out the window.

Please, please, take them out of the core rulebook, or make them an optional rule, not a core mechanic.
mfb
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
Guess I just don't see the current system as a problem.

but lots and lots of other people do. for instance, the many people who say they don't use deckers in their game because decking disrupts the game. or the many people who don't use rigging because the rules are just too complex. it's a definite problem when people are cutting out entire sections of the game because they don't like playing them.
GrinderTheTroll
The context of my comment is about firearms, not SR3 as a whole.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
Then go play something else.

I like this argument. "So what if this system is really bad in some ways? Go play another game then. Fixing or tweaking things is bad."

Consider something like the Damage Codes of firearms (specifically, those of Light and Heavy Pistols, ARs, LMGs and HMGs) or weights of items in SR3. As they are, they are illogical, unrealistic, internally inconsistent, and just plain wrong. They do not in any way promote game balance -- in fact, some of those things severely detract from balance, such as the piddly-ass LPs vs. ultra-powerful HPs. And all those things could be (or could have been) fixed without introducing any complexity into the system.

I've never understood the saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". If something functions, but is really crappy, you shouldn't make it better? Anyway, you could make a very good case for at least the above things being broken.

Once again, this doesn't really have much to do with SR4, since I should think the game designers will not reintroduce the same fuck-ups in details if they already went through all the trouble of reworking much of the basics.

QUOTE (Arethusa)
D20 Modern and Spycraft both proved something I had been saying here for some time: you can make a game with plenty of realistic rules, and if it's well designed, it's still accessible, intuitive, and enjoyable, and it can beat the ever loving shit out of SR3 [...]

Spycraft and to some extent D20 Modern do have a few strong points, but they both have at least as many mind-blogginglystupid rules. Actually, I'd say D20 Modern has far more of those, while Spycraft (with some optional rules) is pretty closely tied.

Yay, I'm (at least) a level 8 Dedicated Hero in D20 Modern!

(D20 Shadowrun, to D20 or not to D20?)
GrinderTheTroll
We obviously have different criteria about what makes a game good or not, but it's definetly hard to find any one game that has it all. When I find a game that offers alot of good things, I tend to let that temper the not so good parts.

To me, SR is not so broken that it's unplayable nor do I find myself so tethered by having to belive the reality SR presents that I can't enjoy myself.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)

I hope not. I do like them.

QUOTE (Taran)
On the left, we see the number of dice rolled. On the right, we see the expected value of an open test made with that many dice.

1 - 4.217978
2 - 5.792721
3 - 6.8916106
4 - 7.6336365
5 - 8.266773
6 - 8.842815
7 - 9.371663
8 - 9.681032
9 - 10.077892
10 - 10.416958
11 - 10.7442255
12 - 11.064394
13 - 11.30267
14 - 11.629637
15 - 11.79942

As I mentioned elsewhere, that's not a fair comparison with regard to Stealth Tests: keep in mind that one success is only enough for the person making the perception test to know that something is there. That something could be Bubba the Love Troll, the cat next door, or dear Aunt Sue. It takes a second success to guess the general type of thing, and a third to have a fairly concrete idea. All in all, I'd say it works just fine.

~J
mfb
incidentally, if SR4 shotguns are able to hit multiple targets with one shot, i'm going to show somebody exactly what shotguns do and how they work.
Kagetenshi
RL shotguns can hit multiple targets with one shot too.

Providing that both targets are pressing together and that the shot is aimed directly at the point where they're touching, that is…

~J
Austere Emancipator
Or if you have this kind of "shotgun".
Kagetenshi
The next BFTG?

~J
Garland
RE: Austere's link:

Eeearrgh!!!
Botch
BFTG, definately need one of those or just maybe something other than a Honda Viking built for and sold to trolls.
Vuron
I'd definitely favor DMG codes based on Ammo rather than classes. 9mm x 19 should remain roughly the same DMG code accross platforms (baring some wierd technical reason for increased or decreased power).

Of course I'd be in favor of more of the weapons being slightly advanced version of real world weapons rather than game system constructs after all the 1911 has been around for nearly a century in some form or another and it's still a relevant weapon.
Arethusa
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
The context of my comment is about firearms, not SR3 as a whole.

That doesn't really matter. There are massive chunks of the combat section that everyone has found problematic, and if it weren't really the most central set of rules to the game, there probably would be people who tried to ignore it as much as possible. Austere has summed up my feelings on the system fairly well. It's deeply flawed, and while not technically incapable of functioning, it does very little well without heavy modification.

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
Spycraft and to some extent D20 Modern do have a few strong points, but they both have at least as many mind-blogginglystupid rules. Actually, I'd say D20 Modern has far more of those, while Spycraft (with some optional rules) is pretty closely tied.

I overstated in mentioning D20 Modern, but for a specific point: both games have released fairly massive weapons compendiums and both are substantially more mainstream than Shadowrun. Beyond that, I don't really like Modern. Spycraft, on the other hand, while not a game I honestly think I'd like to play, is a game I respect and appreciate. It manages a cohesion in its design that I find admirable and refreshing, especially in light of Shadowrun, which looks like the patchwork ramblings of a streetcorner psychotic in comparison.

The thing about SpyCraft its rather sizable Modern Arms Guide is that the game is still casual, still accessible, and still mainstream, and yet the guide provides a wealth of detail (which, for what it is, manages to be both quite attractive and pretty accurate, most of the time). It doesn't overwhelm or confuse anyone— which, ironically, is exactly what Shadowrun manages to do to just about everyone. It explicitly beats the shit out of the Abstraction-Is-The-One-True-Word crowd in proving that detail is immersive, useful, and if done right, not at all inaccessible.

QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
To me, SR is not so broken that it's unplayable nor do I find myself so tethered by having to belive the reality SR presents that I can't enjoy myself.

If you have to divorce yourself from believing the reality created by the game to enjoy it, the game has fucked up pretty goddamn badly.

QUOTE (Vuron)
I'd definitely favor DMG codes based on Ammo rather than classes. 9mm x 19 should remain roughly the same DMG code accross platforms (baring some wierd technical reason for increased or decreased power).

Of course I'd be in favor of more of the weapons being slightly advanced version of real world weapons rather than game system constructs after all the 1911 has been around for nearly a century in some form or another and it's still a relevant weapon.

Just so long as this doesn't create any silliness with barrel length being ignored, I'm all for it, as I'm sure you could notice.

Same for changing weapons back to something reasonable and believable.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Arethusa)
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)

If you have to divorce yourself from believing the reality created by the game to enjoy it, the game has fucked up pretty goddamn badly.

Hardly divorcing myself from reality of SR. There are plenty of game mechanics, stories and concepts that make it fun. Fact is I simply don't require ever aspect of a game to be as life-like and realistic as possible for me to play it. Yes the SR universe isn't perfect, but what game is?

My group stopped playing D&D in search of something that had more to offer. We found something else, played it, moved on again. SR (as a whole) has alot more to offer my group than many other games we've played, if it didn't we'd move on instead of pissing an moaning about "How borken it is". SR has managed to hang around for atleast 3 editions and there is obviously enough interest for FanPro to make a 4th edition. Despite what we'd like to think, they aren't just making the 4th edition to make us feel better about the rules. Hell we get to keep all the soucebook.

I am not sure how long you've played SR but I can see your distress with SR is deep-rooted, so I'll ask the question again: Why play SR then if it doesn't meet your needs?
mfb
because the game universe is compelling. because the genre is largely unique. because when the rules are good, they're very good. i bitch about SR because i like it, and because i want to see it made better.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012