Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Give monoteism some room in SR4
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
mintcar
The big monoteistic world religions all have fairly strong factions who are interested in magic. I think we aught to see more actual magical traditions with connections to these religions. It only seems natural.

I am not saying that I would like to break up into more traditions and different types of spirits. I only think that the hermetic side should get a few. Maybe while haltering the galopping shamanic side.

Crimsondude has opened my eyes to Steve Kensonīs appearant disslike of organized religion. When I think about it more than one piece of Shadowrun fiction has had a pathetic christian cult with a powerless leader as a villain. I think that christianety has earned to be a major villain, at least. Better yet would be if there were actually both good and bad religious organizations, just as the case is with shamanic ones.

I donīt belong to any religious tradition myself. But I donīt like that there is such an obvious prejudice built into my favourite game.

<<<edit>>> I know some of the recent books have been trying to solve this problem. That is only a bigger reason why it should be in the main book for next edition.
Ancient History
I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say Kenson disliked organized religion.

As for large, monotheistic religions having magical factions, both with positive and negative goals, I'd say they've covered that to various extants...there's no master Christian plan with magic, but various Christian groups trying to use magic various ways. The same with the Moslems and the Jews, among others.
Kanada Ten
Magic and religion exist side by side, not on over the other. One can be a Catholic Eagle shaman or a Hindi hermetic. Personally, I don't think we need more than was in MitS, but I suspect you'll be seeing more and more of it anyway - which I can live with so long as they do more than the monotheistic and include Buddhism, Taoism, and so on.
mintcar
If we could get rules for christian, jewish etc. magic in the core book, along with meta-variants and other things thatīs supposed to be common place on a worldwide scale, that would make me happy. Streamlining this new edition should mean that you donīt have to own MitS, SotA, Treats 2, Shadowrun Companion and Shadows of Europe to play in Europe.

<<edit>> They can obviously not fit every tradition on earth in the book. So make it generic then, but keep it equal. And tuck the meta-variants in there. Give us a compact look at the whole of the sixth world in the core book.

This should extend beyond monoteism as well. I was thinking about monoteistic religions, but others have been neglected as well. It may be that the problem became apparent first with MitS, and the sulution is to keep it generic...
audun
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
One can be a Catholic Eagle shaman or a Hindi hermetic.

IMHO that's a wrong decision.
It simply doesn't make sense that a Catholic should adopt Native American (probably more accurately North West American) spiritualism as the major part of his magical approach. Neither does it make sense that a Hindu should adopt some obscure occult tradition of the West rather than his own rich tradition. Well, it does, but then it is in the realm of New Age and street magic.
Steve Kensons and thus the current SR approach is that all magic should be New Agey, leaving very little room for other approaches. I hope they'll move away from it in SR4. Other approaches than the four (shaman, hermetic, voudoun, wu-jen) outlined in current SR would be great, especially for the monoteistic traditions. What annoys me the most is that almost everything in European and Arab traditions is reduced to hermetic elemental magic, though I've already said a lot in this other thread.
To be short, I hope for magic rules that is less D&D and more Hellblazer, though still with it's own Shadowrun twist.
mintcar
I guess we both have a soft spot for Hellblazer then.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (audun)
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)

IMHO that's a wrong decision. It simply doesn't make sense that a Catholic should adopt Native American (probably more accurately North West American) spiritualism as the major part of his magical approach.

So no-one other than the north-west ribes ever worshiped or venerated eagles?
DrJest
I've advocated a shamanic option in religious magical practice before now. Any Judeo-Christian religion could use Archangels in place of totems - I believe one of the SR sourcebooks has already mentioned the Archangel Michael as a form of the Dragonslayer Idol.
Critias
I think what Kanada means is you can call a totem anything you want to call it (with your GM's consent), and change the trappings and "look" around, while retaining the basic feel and listed game modifiers of a published Totem. It's the ideal, and the character living up to that ideal, that matters, not what name you use (IC or OOC) for your Totem.

And, well, even if that's not what Kanada means, it's what I'm saying.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (FlakJacket @ Mar 20 2005, 06:24 PM)
QUOTE (audun)
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)

IMHO that's a wrong decision. It simply doesn't make sense that a Catholic should adopt Native American (probably more accurately North West American) spiritualism as the major part of his magical approach.

So no-one other than the north-west ribes ever worshiped or venerated eagles?

Well, I'm a little rusty on my Catholicism, but I don't recall there being veneration of eagles in the Roman Catholic tradition.

If totems pick the shaman--an idea which I consider to be nothing short of nonsense--then it makes no sense for them to pick someone who denies their existence. Even halfway, a particularly devout Catholic, the kind that you'd think would be open to accepting the gift of magic were it to be given to them rather than transferred down genetically, then it would make as much sense that they'd piss away that gift because Satan was tempting them in the form of magical power at the cost of their soul (Since it breaks the First Commandment to worship--which is what adhering to totem strictures is--other deities).

Which is why every mention of "traditionalist" magical pracitioners in the RCC has been as Idol followers and not shamansm, per se. At least Idols can manifest as idealizations of ones' faith (i.e., angels or saints), whereas a Horse is a Horse, unless it's Eagle or Mouse.

That said, it is not beyond the realm of comprehension for someone who happens to be Catholic to follow another magical tradition if that is what manifests and they decide to adhere to it. After all, there are quite a few RL Native Americans who are Catholics, Protestants, or various other sects of Christianity. They can reconcile their faith as they see fit, whether they are Navajo and Catholic/Baptist/Native American Church/etc. If they didn't, we wouldn't have Santeria, Voudoun, or any of the many other bastardized religions which combined Catholicism and African or Native beliefs--the ones which stretch far and wide across the Western Hemisphere.

But it ain't Catholicism.

Whereas a Hindi Hermetic is just fine, because Hermeticism isn't a religious belief. It is, frankly, a science (or should be) taught like Social or Physical Sciences in academic settings in colleges and schools around the world. Being a Hindi Hermetic is the same thing, IMO, to being a Christian Biologist.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
If totems pick the shaman--an idea which I consider to be nothing short of nonsense--then it makes no sense for them to pick someone who denies their existence.

For what it's worth, the lead character out of the original Secrets of Power SR Novel Triology denied the existance of Dog for a good portion of the begining of the storyline, despite being a Dog Shaman.

a Horse is a Horse

Of course, of course.
Crimsondude 2.0
It took a couple of successes on a Willpower (6) check not to add that.
Young Freud
I think a big step in the right direction would be to include the Idols into SR4 BBB so we can start dealing with shamans of monotheistic faiths, as well as Nature and Mythic totems.

I think it's cool that if you're a Judeo-Christian shaman, you have two Idols that could represent the Big Man himself, the loving God (Creator) and the vengeful God (Sky Father).

"Wrathful god, loving god, wrathful god, loving god"
Demonseed Elite
A Catholic Eagle shaman? That sounds an awful lot like idol worship to me, which is a pretty big no-no in the Western monotheisms. And by that I mean the Biblical sense of idol worship, not idols as the things in Magic in the Shadows.
mintcar
I suppose he is talking about a person who is rather secularised, but born and raised a cathlolic, and who views the magic and shamanistic stuff in a practical rather than religious way.

I can live with that shamanistic and hermetic magic are the two big ways of doing magic in Shadowrun America. I also think itīs good that the traditions are widely spread and mixed, like new age stuff is. (For example. I could not see norse magic holding a very big top spot here in Scandinavia. There would be just as many wiccans, hermetics and shamans). But as others have said, give the big religions some recognition in the new edition. Not just in fringe supplements.
Crimsondude 2.0
Never assume!
mintcar
I think he is bla bla bla...
Ol' Scratch
One's religion doesn't necessary need to be the same as their belief in the source of their magic. One may influence the other greatly, and more often than not they will be very closely related, but there's nothing about it that requires them to be the same.

At least no more than the non-existant requirement that alll scientists must be atheists.
craigpierce
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
...then it would make as much sense that they'd piss away that gift because Satan was tempting them in the form of magical power at the cost of their soul (Since it breaks the First Commandment to worship--which is what adhering to totem strictures is--other deities)...

i would have to say that i would like to see the world's major religions worked into SR4 both in lifestyle (though that section may be small) and in magic. i think that adding a possible theological aspect to magic would give magic a good twist - you could then have a 'cleric' character, so-to-speak.

i believe that you could, in rare cases, have a shamanic christian. i think that angelic totems for catholics would be a great idea...and may i suggest a Jesus totem for use by any christian religion? i do not think this idea is great, but i would like to toss it out for discussion anyway...i see it more as rules on what advantages/disadvantages you would get if you simply worshipped Jesus instead of a totem. i would think of this kind of character as i would think of a stereotypical southern baptist - while performing magic they would hoot 'n holler things like 'Amen!' and 'Praise Jesus!'.

i also think that they could, being an enlightened christian, take on any of the regular totems out of respect for that animal and it's values, while always staying true to God. i just believe you could be deeply connected to the spirit of another person/creature without forsaking your duties to uphold God's law. it would all come down to the PC's ability to stay IC.
craigpierce
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
One's religion doesn't necessary need to be the same as their belief in the source of their magic. One may influence the other greatly, and more often than not they will be very closely related, but there's nothing about it that requires them to be the same.

At least no more than the non-existant requirement that alll scientists must be atheists.

or that all hermetic mages must be scientists...they don't have to know anything about physics or biology to toss mana bolts around.
GunnerJ
and may i suggest a Jesus totem for use by any christian religion?

It is a little odd that there's not Divine Martyr idol.
Garland
There is, but their shamans don't last too long. rotfl.gif
Synner
As a guy who's tried to reset the balance in the treatment of mainstream religions in SR (particularly Catholics but you'll see others soon enough) I just want to get it across once and for all, that very few modern religions have a truly magical paradigm, doctrine or philosophy (Judaism/Kabbalah and Islam/Sufism being notable exceptions) to be revived and reinvigorated by the Awakening.

This plus the fact that many such religions are in popular decline and many have vilified magic in dogma for centuries leads to a much lesser number of active magicians in the ranks of the mainstream faithful in the Sixth World than say the Wiccans, Neo-Druids, neo-pagans and shamanistic faiths see.

In fact in most mainstream (monotheistic) religions a clear distinction is set between the magical and the divine, leading to even more moral and spiritual complications to the Talented faithful. I've gone on enough about what this entails to Catholics in particular in other threads, but the same applies to Islam and Protestant Evangelicals, and to a slightly different degree to Judaism and Orthodox Christianity.
mintcar
Synner: Do you think any of the eurostuff is going to make it into the SR4 core book?
hermit
Yes, but those three you named came out how long since SR began? Until recently, they paid minor lip service to religion and magic. To be fair, I can only imagine the reasons why it was a good idea for FASA to not discuss religion and magic together for the longest time. But after a decade, it's a safe bet that they could discuss it without some of the backlash they would have faced back in 1989.

Western religion and religion and related faiths, yes. They were perfectly fine with concering themselves with other faiths, such as Hinduism, American/Uralic shamanism, Wicca, ect.

I don't see why Christianity (or, for that matter, Judaism, Zainism and Islam) shouldn't revceive the same treatment. Except that American audiences might not like this. But, newsflash: the core fanbase of Shadowrun isn't in America alone, or is it?

Fine. But these things should be clearly stated and handled in the same way as shamanic traditions, and the catholic church should be a major player when it comes to things magical. It has so much potential to be totally menacing in fiction.

Don't tell me you think the Catholic church isn't "shamanic" by Shadowrun standards ... it is, in fact, the closest to all these totem and idol thingies in practice and most pragmatic about integrating faith and life. And since we consider it a school of Shadowrun magic, that's the important part, though the Germany book's Theurgy propably has a place with the more materialistic sects, like Jesuits.

Most continental protestant sects would propably be better served with a "hermetic" approach, while America's christian tradition again would revolve around idols, most likely the puniticve and forgiving aspects of God/Christ (as separate Idols).

I'd suppose so, though it gets a lot more difficult if the two sources are opposed to each other (evangelical christian shaman with a decidedly non-christian totem), especially if the shaman's faith is one of the less tolerant variants of a monotheist religion. Then again, the human mind can bend in many strange ways. Since I learned there's a Neo-Nazi movement in Israel, I doupt anything's impossible to unite.

Well, to a point. A biologist denying evolution isn't a real scientist because he choses to deny facts. Science, however, is all about factual evidence, which is needed to validate a theory. And before anyone here starts a tiresome debate on this topic, please don't; this forum is about sahadowrun. If you really want that debate, take it to PM, so ka?

The interesting thing about SR is, if you go into the nitty gritty of its cosmology etc...it does assume something like the existence of the soul...

Indeed. The whole idea of cybermancy would look really stupid without assuming there is a soul of sorts. Or, for that matter, astral projection. Not to mention there's the whole elf rebirth cycle thing mentioned in soem novels (Nosferatu, among others), the whole climax of the dragonheart cycle wouldn'T make much sense if Dunkelzahn hadn't a soul (or that aztech boss who seeks to transfer his soul into some victim) ... face it, Shadowrun assumes there is a soul. Which completely blurs the lines between religion and magic.

And if there're Elvis shamans, or self-initiated psionics based on Marvel Comics superheroes, I see absolutely no reason to exclude about half the world's population from SR's system of magic. Clearly Spider-Man and the X-Men aren't more of a spiritual and intuitive source than any monotheist holy scripture?

I suppose he is talking about a person who is rather secularised, but born and raised a cathlolic, and who views the magic and shamanistic stuff in a practical rather than religious way.

Who're you talking about?
mintcar
Who're you talking about?

Kanada Ten
hermit
Ah, ok. I guess I lost overview with the thread change and all.
Nikoli
Well, having had some rather strange coinversations with a friend of mine who is a member of a Catholic teutonic order (Knights of Columbus) he had something rather interesting to say that sort of applies to the Christian Faith and SR magic.
The Holy Mother Church has never denied the existence of magic in the world. It has taught, however, that such power comes from and should be used in the name of God.
Catholic history of the Saints is chock full of stories that if taken at face value and as the truth, would indicate magic in the world.

Personally, I don't see why the various faiths mainstream arms wouldn't have mystic memberships.
(The non Catholic Christians would have a tendency to push away the awakened, but not the Catholic Church or the Eastern Orthodox Church.)
mfb
for that matter, the bible never denies the possibility that there might be other gods running around. it merely gives strongly-worded suggestions on which of those gods you ought to worship.
Nikoli
Basically. but that's a discussion for an entirely different board.
Charon
I never understood why many catholic priests in canon weren't using saints as totem.

Nikoli
That would work, at least in my games.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (archimagus @ Mar 21 2005, 05:37 AM)
i believe that you could, in rare cases, have a shamanic christian.

Yes. We call them Idol followers.

QUOTE (hermit)
Don't tell me you think the Catholic church isn't "shamanic" by Shadowrun standards ... it is, in fact, the closest to all these totem and idol thingies in practice and most pragmatic about integrating faith and life. And since we consider it a school of Shadowrun magic, that's the important part, though the Germany book's Theurgy propably has a place with the more materialistic sects, like Jesuits.

My problem is that a Roman Catholic who follows Eagle is breaking the First Commandment by worshipping, to be frank, an animal.

QUOTE (Nikoli)
Personally, I don't see why the various faiths mainstream arms wouldn't have mystic memberships.
(The non Catholic Christians would have a tendency to push away the awakened, but not the Catholic Church or the Eastern Orthodox Church.)

You mean like the Order of St. Sylvester or the Exarchs?
GunnerJ
My problem is that a Roman Catholic who follows Eagle is breaking the First Commandment by worshipping, to be frank, an animal.

I don't think I've ever played a shaman character that literally worshiped their totem. Even my idolist considered the Dragonslayer to be more akin to a commanding officer than a deity.
hermit
Catholic history of the Saints is chock full of stories that if taken at face value and as the truth, would indicate magic in the world.

That is because most of them are actually pagan in origin, and were just assimilated during Europe's christianisation (countrary to what people are taught, most heathens didn't ant to abandon their old gods, particularily the rather stubborn celts and gauls - the church recognised this and adopten them into the ranks of saints).

Well, but they have a gazilion saints. I am sure one of them will grant abilities (and have drawbacks) a lot like Eagle.
The catholic church is really not short on possible idols.

But, yes, a catholic who'd follow Eagle's path would be committing a sin, unless he consider Eagle an avatar of God, of course. Besides, technically, shamen don't have to pray to and worship their totems, do they?

for that matter, the bible never denies the possibility that there might be other gods running around. it merely gives strongly-worded suggestions on which of those gods you ought to worship.

Doesn't it even mention one, by name? What's his name again ...
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (hermit @ Mar 21 2005, 02:23 PM)

Well, but they have a gazilion saints. I am sure one of them will grant abilities (and have drawbacks) a lot like Eagle.
The catholic church is really not short on possible idols.

My whole thesis is predicated on the fact that I am referring specifically to totems--animal, mythic, and nature Totems. Idols are a whole other story. I have no problems at all with Idols. But... how many of those Saints were eagles?

And how many times are you all going to say something which is going to add nothing to the discussion because any response on my part is me repeating myself?

Here's a good idea: If I didn't say something, don't infer it. If I did, however, you don't have to ask again.
Synner
QUOTE (Nikoli @ Mar 21 2005, 05:45 PM)
Well, having had some rather strange coinversations with a friend of mine who is a member of a Catholic teutonic order (Knights of Columbus) he had something rather interesting to say that sort of applies to the Christian Faith and SR magic.
The Holy Mother Church has never denied the existence of magic in the world.  It has taught, however,  that such power comes from and should be used in the name of God. 

Nikoli - I would suggest your friend check with his local priest to see just how wrong he is on the matter. Catholic doctrine for more than 500 years has been that there is magic in the world, and it is not Divine in nature. What Saints have is not magic, it's miracle, a sign of Divine favor and the touch of the Holy Spirit as a direct result of their piety.

If you were a member of the clergy or an informed Catholic there is no chance you would confuse the two. In fact entire Catholic sects (the Cathars and the Templars to name a couple - and yeah I know its far more complex than that) have been prosecuted and expunged because they were believed to practice magic.

A misguided Catholic who uses magic believing it is miracle is in fact committing the Cardinal sin of Vanity effectively believing himself to be a Saint (which ironically disqualifies him automatically in the eyes of the Mother Church).

QUOTE (hermit)
Don't tell me you think the Catholic church isn't "shamanic" by Shadowrun standards ... it is, in fact, the closest to all these totem and idol thingies in practice and most pragmatic about integrating faith and life.

Hermit - This tells me you have no idea about Catholic doctrine or in fact practice, and you've probably never been to a mass let alone discussed theology with a priest. The Cult of the Saints has passing similiarities with idol worship but even a passing knowledge of the doctrine behind it clearly shows the difference. In fact, for the past 100 years Catholicism has become ever more unpragmatic and has disassociated faith and contemporary life.

And since we consider it a school of Shadowrun magic, that's the important part, though the Germany book's Theurgy propably has a place with the more materialistic sects, like Jesuits.

Despite what the original German-language sourcebooks might have led you to believe, Theurgy is simply reinterpreting Hermetic lore using a Christian paradigm and symbology, and cleaning out all the Hellenistic, Egyptian and Pagan influences of Hermeticism. It is definitely not shamanistic.

In an SR context the distinctions have been made clear sine Grimoire 1. In SR3 MitS, SoE and SOTA64 have explained and underlined the differences in approach.

One final note - organized religions have increasingly small clergies, applying the 1% Talent to that universe, most will have only a handful of magicians (at most in the hundreds) among the clergy and those would be in specialist Orders (like the Catholic Sylvestrines & New Templars, the Orthodox Exarchs and the Westephalian Theurgists).
Nikoli
Real simple, find an existing totem you like, say Eagle. Find a similair Saint, cut out Eagle, Paste in Saint X. Continue to worship in your own way, but call on your patron Saint when you need some more direct assistance. (kinda like how some catholics are today)
Nikoli
Umm, the Templars were more expunged because of their use of Usury and the inner church politics with the Knights of St. John, but that's not important here. (and those that remained with the church became the Knights of Columbus)
Ol' Scratch
"Eagle Shaman" is a game term. A "Catholic Eagle Shaman" is a catholic character who's magic and behavior follows the same lines as an Eagle Shaman. That does not make him someone who worships the Native American Eagle totem in any way, shape, or form. To think otherwise only paints you as a two-dimensional player who can't think outside the box.
Charon
Twist was like that, if I remember correctly.

A Dog shaman carrying a bible around.
Nikoli
It's easier to think of Totemic Shamanism less of as a religion and more of a philosophy.

You can be a devout Catholic and still follow the philosophy of Buddha (lesser vehicle), they mesh quite well actually.
craigpierce
we are also assuming that our shaman is 'right in the head' - if he's slightly mad, then he can do whatever he wants in the name of whoever he wants.

it's all up to the PC.
Nikoli
very true. even by today's standards.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Mar 21 2005, 02:58 PM)
"Eagle Shaman" is a game term.  A "Catholic Eagle Shaman" is a catholic character who's magic and behavior follows the same lines as an Eagle Shaman.  That does not make him someone who worships the Native American Eagle totem in any way, shape, or form.  To think otherwise only paints you as a two-dimensional player who can't think outside the box.

Until his Totem shows up as a giant Eagle...

You can't be serious. Totems aren't abstract ideas. They're idealized manifestations of abstract concepts. It makes no sense within the totemic NA belief systems and the SR structure of totems for it not to be Eagle. It's not a set of beliefs that a shaman follows. He's talking to friggin' Eagle, and doing what Eagle tells him to do, and drawing his power from Eagle.

And when you do that, God looks kind of like an absentee landlord.

And I don't know of any saint or any angel who would appear only as Eagle. Not an eagle. Eagle. At least when Dragonslayer comes, you project upon him the visage of St. Michael or any of a number of saints. Eagle's Eagle, and always will be Eagle.
Sharaloth
How does that change anything? So his totem shows up as a giant Eagle, doesn't mean he worships a giant Eagle. He could easily rationalize it as 'an Angel of the lord in the form of a great eagle', or something similar. He'd have to actually worship the Eagle to be not Catholic, and interpreting his magic through a philosophy embodied by that particular form does not worship make.
Synner
QUOTE (Nikoli @ Mar 21 2005, 09:48 PM)
Umm, the Templars were more expunged because of their use of Usury and the inner church politics with the Knights of St. John, but that's not important here.  (and those that remained with the church became the Knights of Columbus)

Not entirely true on either count (particularly the second - they became the Knights of Christ which splintered much later), but as I said it's way more complex than that, and this is neither the place nor the time.

As to the issue of Shamans within the clergy I've explained my position several times (here and here). However as Doc Funk has pointed out there is nothing inherently wrong with a non-clerical Catholic being a shaman (except the Church itself won't like it) and it is even within the realm of possibility that the more flexible Orders like the Sylvestrines (as opposed to the conservative New Jesuits or fanatics like the New Templars) might be more accepting of a shaman (although he'd be seen as a shaman of St. Anthony following similar ideals to those the Eagle totem represents - and never an "Eagle shaman"). However as I've explained in the threads above there are many reasons why such a shaman would be an exception in the Sixth World.
Crimsondude 2.0
What part of what I'm saying isn't getting through? Either you don't know much about Catholicism or Native American totem worship, or both, but Eagle serves no master. Eagle isn't a manifestation of God's power or a Saint pulling a fast one on a Catholic. Eagle is a force of nature, or the Universe. As far as the Totem is concerned, it probably sees itself at least equal to God.

The Eagle Shaman is, as far as he and his Totem are concerned, drawing his magic from a power that is not God, does not serve or represent God, and requires devotion, or at least obedience (You stop following the Totem's wishes, and it can cut you off. As is canon [SR3, p. 163]). This makes him a sinner.

They are irreconcilable.

Moreover, this ignores a fundamental fact in the game mechanics of SR: The Totem picks the Shaman. A shaman who adheres to a religion strongly enough to consider what he's doing a Sin, which is practicing anything other than Theurgy, is not someone Eagle should want to have a damn thing to do with. The other Fact that Totems often appear in times of crisis and questions of faith suggests that anyone who does adhere to a major organized religion like the RCC and who "finds" Eagle was contacted by Eagle because, for all intents and purposes, he's Fallen. "You failed me, and I'm not going to put up with this. I can go over here and Eagle gives me power that you refused me."
Sharaloth
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
Either you don't know much about Catholicism or Native American totem worship, or both, but Eagle serves no master. Eagle isn't a manifestation of God's power or a Saint pulling a fast one on a Catholic. Eagle is a force of nature, or the Universe. As far as the Totem is concerned, it probably sees itself at least equal to God.

You got a quote on that?

Look, I hear what you're saying, and I understand why you have such trouble reconciling the two, but your failure of imagination does not mean it is not possible, especially in a fictional setting such as the SR universe.

Of course your Catholic Eagle Shaman has to obey the strictures of his totem, that's the path God (big 'G' Catholic God) has set for him. Disobeying them is disobeying God (big 'G' again, not Eagle god, Trinity God), and THAT is a sin. The totem does not require devotion, though some might desire it, and making sweeping statements like 'they are irreconcilable' is not only inaccurate, but foolhardy. You work at it enough, you can reconcile almost any beleif with another.

Now, I admit that I know very little about Native American totem worship. I do, however, know a great deal about Roman Catholicism. Catholicism can be integrated with other religions (mostly by absorbing aspects of them into itself, witness several saints and most Holidays). Thus a Roman Catholic Eagle Shaman is very possible, though likely out of the ordinary.
mintcar
Hermit:
Doesn't it even mention one, by name? What's his name again ...

You might be thinking about Baal. As far as I can remember the truth of other godīs (than God) existence is neither confirmed nor denied in the Old Testament, God just wants all peopleīs undivided attention because heīs the creator. I do think however, that Paul and the others were pretty clear about Godīs sole claim to devinity in the New.

Crimsondude: The shaman might have to abide by the totem strictures, but as long as he does not desire the acceptance of the church I think he could read the bible all he likes and call himself a catholic. The totem wouldnīt mind that do you think?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012