Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Give monoteism some room in SR4
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
hermit
You might be thinking about Baal.

Yup. Thanks.

Kanada Ten
The Eagle Shaman is, as far as he and his Totem are concerned, drawing his magic from a power that is not God, does not serve or represent God, and requires devotion, or at least obedience (You stop following the Totem's wishes, and it can cut you off. As is canon [SR3, p. 163]). This makes him a sinner.

They are irreconcilable.

Bulldrek. Eagle is simply his spiritual guide on his path to God. No mage or shaman can claim to draw power directly from God without being called a heretic becasue God's power is Miricle not Magic, somthething the RL church and SR church understands. The fact that you think you know the secrets of Eagle makes me laugh, and your comparison of Totems to Nature Worship is not SR at all: myths only have a grain of truth, worship isn't required for magic unless you're a Voodoun or Idol worshipper (something I wish they never added).
Little Bill
QUOTE (mintcar)
As far as I can remember the truth of other godīs (than God) existence is neither confirmed nor denied in the Old Testament, God just wants all peopleīs undivided attention because heīs the creator.

I think you're forgetting the story of Elijah and the preists of Baal, wherein it's made quite clear that Baal is just an idol and has no power (Elijah mocks the priests of Baal for this very reason).
Or the story in the Apocryphal parts of the book of Daniel, where Daniel shows up the priests in Babylon by showing the king how they eat the offerings and by poisoning the beast they worship.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (mintcar @ Mar 21 2005, 04:00 PM)
Crimsondude: The shaman might have to abide by the totem strictures, but as long as he does not desire the acceptance of the church I think he could read the bible all he likes and call himself a catholic. The totem wouldnīt mind that do you think?

I would. But I'm a petty bastard, and not a Force infinity spirit that can grant magical powers to anyone I want, or take them away.

The idea of a practicing Catholic who follows an Animal Totem is, simply put, obscene to me. Not out of any appreciation of faith, but because it makes no sense within the game mechanics and IC elements of the game, and anyone who tried to make one in my game would have to prove me wrong.

QUOTE (Sharaloth)
Look, I hear what you're saying, and I understand why you have such trouble reconciling the two, but your failure of imagination does not mean it is not possible, especially in a fictional setting such as the SR universe.

It's not a failure of imagination. It's a failure of logic that they can work together.

The totem does not require devotion, though some might desire it, and making sweeping statements like 'they are irreconcilable' is not only inaccurate, but foolhardy.

Prove it.
GunnerJ
Prove it.

What, that totems don't require devotion? Trivial. I can, by all the rules in SR3, play a functional Eagle shaman without ever once worshiping the Eagle totem.

Unless you meant the other thing. That's in Sharaloth's court.
mfb
it depends on how the shaman sees his totem. i've got at least one shaman who doesn't believe in a "totem" at all--he's a dark king shaman, who calls on the spirits of those who've died in whatever area he's in. for him, though, there's no mythic persona that exemplifies his outlook, beliefs, or powers.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ Mar 21 2005, 04:29 PM)
What part of what I'm saying isn't getting through? Either you don't know much about Catholicism or Native American totem worship, or both, but Eagle serves no master. Eagle isn't a manifestation of God's power or a Saint pulling a fast one on a Catholic. Eagle is a force of nature, or the Universe. As far as the Totem is concerned, it probably sees itself at least equal to God.

Thanks again for proving the whole "two-dimensional player" thing I mentioned above. You're doing a smashing job of it.

You basically just described a single possible character concept of the Eagle Shaman game mechanic, one focused on (but not limited to) a Native American belief system.

That said, perhaps you can quote page references (not that any of it means much in a 4th Edition discussion) that specifically states that 1) totems are these sentient, all-powerful god-like beings you seem to have deluded yourself into believing and 2) no other options are available beyond that single interpretation (which, even then, varies from tribe to tribe itself) of yours.

(You stop following the Totem's wishes, and it can cut you off. As is canon [SR3, p. 163]).

More correctly, if you go against the philosophy of your totem (ie, the belief structure your magic is based around), you can lose your ability to weild magic. It does not require you to worship a false idol in any way, shape, or form. It can be due to a belief that totems are sentient beings judging you constantly, or it could simply be a psychological crutch you placed on yourself, or even just a lack of confidence due to the weight of your self-loathing at having violated your own principles. Or many other interpretations, depending on the player.

Moreover, this ignores a fundamental fact in the game mechanics of SR: The Totem picks the Shaman.

That's just flat-out wrong.
Crimsondude 2.0
SR3, p.162, "Technically, it is the totem who chooses the shaman."

Are you really going to challenge my citation skills?

Because I mean, wow, being as completely wrong as you are. Really?
Ol' Scratch
I'm still patiently waiting for what I asked for, which whatever it was you just posted most certainly was not.

Give sections like Magic in the Shadows p. 16 and pp. 24-25 a gander sometime, too. Not to mention just about any text talking about magical theory, cultural variations, and religion in the various sourcebooks.
Sharaloth
Pretty much the only problems this hypothetical Catholic Eagle Shaman would run into would be Conjuring, since he's not likely to be getting permission. After looking through the book I found no evidence of the Totem necessitating worship on the part of the Shaman, and a lot that can be easily reconciled with a Catholic faith. There is also SR3 pg 162-163, under 'ideals': "not all shamans interpret their totem's ideals in exactly the same way . . . there is room for individual style and interpretation." This refers to how the shaman views and acts out the ideals and precepts of the totem, as far as Eagle goes, the ideals are protection of nature, fighting evil and technophobia. None of these are at odds with a Catholic faith.

Totems and religion are not opposed, and you can have both, following the ways of a totem and the tenets of faith. Since Catholicism officially (in SR) views magic as just another gift from God that can be used for good or ill, there's no reason why an Eagle shaman would have to be a sinner.
Sandoval Smith
QUOTE (Sharaloth @ Mar 21 2005, 11:48 PM)
Since Catholicism officially (in SR) views magic as just another gift from God that can be used for good or ill, there's no reason why an Eagle shaman would have to be a sinner.

That pretty much sums it up.

Also:
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)

Sweet Jeebus! He's back!
DrJest
The Eagle Shaman is, as far as he and his Totem are concerned, drawing his magic from a power that is not God, does not serve or represent God, and requires devotion, or at least obedience (You stop following the Totem's wishes, and it can cut you off. As is canon [SR3, p. 163]). This makes him a sinner.

That's actually open to negotiation. The wording of the commandment is "Thou shalt have no other God before me". As long as you acknowledge that Jehovah is Eagle's boss, it's technically feasible.

Of course we're talking about a religious scripture that has been editorialised to suit the prevailing political structure from the get-go. Heck, the Bible as we know it only came into being in the 4th century - voted for by Romans, under the rulership of a pagan high priest. Go figure.
mintcar
Little Bill:
I think you're forgetting the story of Elijah and the preists of Baal, wherein it's made quite clear that Baal is just an idol and has no power (Elijah mocks the priests of Baal for this very reason).
Or the story in the Apocryphal parts of the book of Daniel, where Daniel shows up the priests in Babylon by showing the king how they eat the offerings and by poisoning the beast they worship.

Yeah. I forgot that. I read the bible as part of a collage course. Didnīt have much time to remember the details. Thanks.

<edit> By the way. Is your sig from Unforgiven?
craigpierce
QUOTE (DrJest)
...acknowledge that Jehovah is Eagle's boss, it's technically feasible...

...voted for by Romans, under the rulership of a pagan high priest...

to which of this world's belief systems do you subscribe, anyway?
craigpierce
QUOTE (DrJest)
The wording of the commandment is "Thou shalt have no other God before me". As long as you acknowledge that Jehovah is Eagle's boss, it's technically feasible.

nice job, BTW

theists 1, atheists 0
GunnerJ
QUOTE (archimagus @ Mar 22 2005, 09:35 PM)

nice job, BTW

theists 1, atheists 0

How does anything he said have to do with "theists vs. atheists"? I'm just asking because I agreed with the position Jest supported from the start, and I happen to be an atheist. I don't see how it's relevent, though.
craigpierce
QUOTE (GunnerJ)
QUOTE (archimagus @ Mar 22 2005, 09:35 PM)

nice job, BTW

theists 1, atheists 0

How does anything he said have to do with "theists vs. atheists"? I'm just asking because I agreed with the position Jest supported from the start, and I happen to be an atheist. I don't see how it's relevent, though.

just a 'funny' way to say...

people for the possibility of having religion more defined in SR4 vs. people against putting religion into sharper relief/people against the idea of christian shamans

that's all - i didn't even think of it as people who believe in god vs. people who don't
GunnerJ
that's all - i didn't even think of it as people who believe in god vs. people who don't

A hard conclusion to avoid, given that the words you used describe exactly that...
DrJest
QUOTE (archimagus)
QUOTE (DrJest @ Mar 22 2005, 04:23 AM)

I was raised in the Serbian Orthodox Church, which has its fair share and more of mysticism and what Shadowrun would call "shamanic" tendencies. As I experienced more of the world and encountered other religions, particularly the so-called "pagan" religions, I dissected my religion and theirs to decide what I believed in; how they related to each other, what they had in common, and what our religions might translate to. I also looked into some of the history of religion (I'm certainly not prideful enough to say all, or even a lot, but some of the major issues), which is where I have learned about some of the... how can I phrase this? Let me say "misconceptions" and apologise in advance if it offends, since no offence was intended. Some of the misconceptions accepted as fact in day to day religious practice (did you know "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live" was a mistranslation in the King James Bible, deliberately done to pander to James I's paranoia about witches? The Hebrew word chasaph actually means "poisoner").

I finally came up with a concept that I expect has been put forward by other thinkers, although its not something I've ever Googled for with any great success biggrin.gif. Specifically, that there is one Truth, and that all religions are Man's perceptions of that Truth.

God, Jahweh, Allah, Jehovah, The Lord and Lady... all different names for the same thing. Angels, demigods, ditto.

So at the end of the day, in my view of the universe it doesn't matter if you're praying for the intervention of The Virgin Mary or Isis; the same entity's on the other end of the line. I couch my beliefs primarily in the forms of Orthodoxy because that was how I was raised.
craigpierce
QUOTE (DrJest)
QUOTE (archimagus @ Mar 22 2005, 09:33 PM)
QUOTE (DrJest @ Mar 22 2005, 04:23 AM)

I was raised in the Serbian Orthodox Church, which has its fair share and more of mysticism and what Shadowrun would call "shamanic" tendencies. As I experienced more of the world and encountered other religions, particularly the so-called "pagan" religions, I dissected my religion and theirs to decide what I believed in; how they related to each other, what they had in common, and what our religions might translate to. I also looked into some of the history of religion (I'm certainly not prideful enough to say all, or even a lot, but some of the major issues), which is where I have learned about some of the... how can I phrase this? Let me say "misconceptions" and apologise in advance if it offends, since no offence was intended. Some of the misconceptions accepted as fact in day to day religious practice (did you know "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live" was a mistranslation in the King James Bible, deliberately done to pander to James I's paranoia about witches? The Hebrew word chasaph actually means "poisoner").

I finally came up with a concept that I expect has been put forward by other thinkers, although its not something I've ever Googled for with any great success biggrin.gif. Specifically, that there is one Truth, and that all religions are Man's perceptions of that Truth.

God, Jahweh, Allah, Jehovah, The Lord and Lady... all different names for the same thing. Angels, demigods, ditto.

So at the end of the day, in my view of the universe it doesn't matter if you're praying for the intervention of The Virgin Mary or Isis; the same entity's on the other end of the line. I couch my beliefs primarily in the forms of Orthodoxy because that was how I was raised.

nice...so you're kinda with deism? - belief in God but rejection of religion

personally, i feel that best sums up how i feel at this point in my life - i'm not saying i'll never adopt a belief system, but for now i just don't see one out there that fits right (but i haven't looked at 'em all yet either)
mfb
QUOTE (Little Bill)

actually, i was thinking of that very story when i said the bible never flatly denies the existence of other gods. re-read it: all it proves is that yhwh trumps baal in a "who's god is badder" contest, and also that neither ywhw nor baal are PETA members. it never says that baal isn't real.
Sharaloth
Actually, Jest, that's the same view taken by a lot of people I know and respect. I disagree wholeheartedly, naturally, but I love the theory behind it.

I was given to understand the word referred not to witches or poisoners, but to magicians themselves (such as the egyptian court magicians from Exodus or the mesopotamian magicians and soothsayers who were active pretty much everywhere in the region). I've heard it both ways, but, hey either way it's not 'witch', especially not as we understand it today or for the past 1000 years or so.

In any case, Archimagus, what does it matter what religion one takes as their own? It doesn't seem relevant to the discussion, or the quote.
shadow_scholar
I've always seen magic as a way to manipulate mana. You're going to follow whatever you think gives you access to that mana, so if you think the path to the mana is through a Christian God, so be it, you invoke that Christian God to be able to use magic. If you see invoking an Eagle Totem as a way to that mana, that works, too. Or, in the case of the Christian Eagle Shaman, you worship the Christian God, but you invoke the power of Eagle, who may be your favorite animal, or the animal you see as greatest amongst all of that Christian God's creatures, to get your juju. You're following both God, and Eagle. I don't see it as that difficult to make plausible. Say the Christian Eagle Shaman wants to switch to Astral Perception, he may say, "God, grant me Eagle's sight." It is all about what it takes psychologically to make that mana available for your manipulation.

But Crimsondude does have a big point with what the SR3 says about how the totem picks the shaman, but getting into a discussion on whether Eagle is a separate entity from the Christian God is entirely arbitrary and up to the player, I think. Trying to debate the existence of any higher power and how or why it grants powers is going to be nothing more than just speculation and up to individual interpretation.

Lightly touching on there being more than one God in the Bible, a player once mentioned something to me that I thought was rather interesting. After going through Awakenings (yeah, 2nd Ed) he commented on the totem Adversary, and how he thought that was a vague disguise on the part of the developers for Nemesis, which he equated to being another name for Lucifer. So, going along that line of thought, worshipping Adversary could equate to the worship of another entity contained within the Bible other than the Jehovah God.
CanvasBack
This discussion is one of the reasons I wish SR had kept its mitts/MiTS off of organized religion. It seems like a bunch of authors have a hard on for slamming the church AND/OR are caught up in their own fantasies of world-domination conspiracy theories through "Secret Orders" of magic slinging, gun-toting priests... ohplease.gif

Different Traditions of Magic in Catholocism...

St. Thomas Aquinas, aka "The Good Doctor," aka "The Dumb-Ox," (for his large size and propensity for not speaking very much) was said to have mastered the performance of White and Grey Magic and had a thorough knowledge of, but of course would never use, Black Magic. Clearly the term hermetic would aplly to him.

Then take into consideration the case of a Franciscan Nun, who while attending the court of Phillip II, would throw fits and speak in tongues. She would experience clairvoyant episodes and share visions of what may have been Northern Mexico and what is now the U.S. Southwest. There are some accounts of locals from that area seeing a nun wandering around in the wilderness despite the fact that the nearest nunneries were almost 1000 miles away in Mexico City. Was it magic? I don't know, but if it was, it's pretty clear that she was not exacting the level of control necessary to be considered hermetic.

Also take into consideration penitentes, in the Southwest, these people have been known to beat and or cut themselves, and during the Easter season volunteer to have themselves literally are nailed to a cross. Many report having visions as well... The Church itself doesn't sanction this, but they don't have enough misgivings about it to have them stop either... There are many regional flavors to Catholocism, there even a group of snake handlers in one area of the U.S. that mirrors a Protestant sects use of reptiles...

Anyway, magic can be approached by Catholics in many different ways...
DrJest
If you believe, why do you need someone else to tell you what you believe? smile.gif

Take your time and go with the flow, mate. As this Rastafarian bloke I used to know would say, "it's all good, all the time". If you find something that fits, cool. If you find that bits of several things fit better, also cool. I doubt God's going to mind smile.gif
DrJest
"Secret Orders" of magic slinging, gun-toting priests...

I wonder what the Opus Dei would be up to in Shadowrun wink.gif (and yes, I'd heard of them before that book was published smile.gif )

I was given to understand the word referred not to witches or poisoners, but to magicians themselves (such as the egyptian court magicians from Exodus or the mesopotamian magicians and soothsayers who were active pretty much everywhere in the region). I've heard it both ways, but, hey either way it's not 'witch', especially not as we understand it today or for the past 1000 years or so.

It's a lot more complicated, obviously, than a single sentence could hope to define. A fairly short but decently informative look at it can be found here.
Synner
QUOTE (CanvasBack @ Mar 22 2005, 11:05 PM)
This discussion is one of the reasons I wish SR had kept its mitts/MiTS off of organized religion.  It seems like a bunch of authors have a hard on for slamming the church AND/OR are caught up in their own fantasies of world-domination conspiracy theories through "Secret Orders" of magic slinging, gun-toting priests... ohplease.gif

I hope the RCC's portrayal in Shadows of Europe went some way into setting the balance straight and making better sense of the existing canon... but then again I would.

St. Thomas Aquinas, aka "The Good Doctor," aka "The Dumb-Ox," (for his large size and propensity for not speaking very much) was said to have mastered the performance of White and Grey Magic and had a thorough knowledge of, but of course would never use,  Black Magic.  Clearly the term hermetic would aplly to him.

Strange you should mention him... few people actually know about that aspect of his studies.

Then take into consideration the case of a Franciscan Nun, who while attending the court of Phillip II, would throw fits and speak in tongues.  She would experience clairvoyant episodes and share visions of what may have been Northern Mexico and what is now the U.S. Southwest.  There are some accounts of locals from that area seeing a nun wandering around in the wilderness despite the fact that the nearest nunneries were almost 1000 miles away in Mexico City.  Was it magic?  I don't know, but if it was, it's pretty clear that she was not exacting the level of control necessary to be considered hermetic.

Again I would underline that even today the Church recognizes the existance of magic but makes a clear distinction between what is magical and what is Divine miracle.

The true issue facing Catholics (and particularly Roman Catholic Clerical magicians), isn't whether or not a particular Catholic can practice magic (hermetic or shamanic), but whether what they are doing is "simply" magic or is in fact a miracle (which makes him/her a Saint and opens an entirely different can of worms).

It's been established since SR1 (Grimoire) that the Church views magic as a god-given gift and tool to mankind (like any other natural talent or aptitude), but that it is neither inherently Good or Evil, and hence it is not Divine in nature. In fact one of the missions of the Sylvestrine Order is to go round and verify whether a certain phenomena was a miracle or a simple act of (human) magic.

DrJest - The Opus Dei in the Sixth World is a Conservative Catholic policlub which is extremely influential and powerful with both elites and lower classes in Spain, Portugal, Italy and Poland. There's more to it than that but we couldn't fit it in SoE and Loose Alliances.
Sharaloth
This site Is where I was getting some of my information from, the rest in an unlinkable lecture in my 1st year Myth and Symbol class. .. not that this adds anything to the discussion.

As to our good Angelic Doctor (Aquinas), he is also reported to have had a vision of God one day in church shortly before he was supposed to finish his masterpeice work (and, incidentally, just before he died), that left him convinced that all the work he had done throughout his life wasn't worth the paper he scrawled it on (again not important, but I thought it was neat). I think he and the church would define what he reportedly was capable of as 'miracle' instead of magic, which is part of why he's a saint (but the difference between the two is shady to the outside observer, at best).

An interesting question that would come up with the Awakening is how many past saints' miracles were actually such, and not Awakened Talent manifesting in a mana spike? I can only imagine that the criteria for sainthood has become even more strict and convoluted than before.
DrJest
DrJest - The Opus Dei in the Sixth World is a Conservative Catholic policlub which is extremely influential and powerful with both elites and lower classes in Spain, Portugal, Italy and Poland. There's more to it than that but we couldn't fit it in SoE and Loose Alliances.

That fits. Cheers, Synner
mintcar
DrJest:
The wording of the commandment is "Thou shalt have no other God before me".

That is the english translation. Iīm sure that allusion is not necesarily exact. The swedish translation would in english be "thou shalt not have any gods besides me" (which means it could be either one, or something else that is the correct allusion).

Sharaloth:
An interesting question that would come up with the Awakening is how many past saints' miracles were actually such, and not Awakened Talent manifesting in a mana spike? I can only imagine that the criteria for sainthood has become even more strict and convoluted than before.

I agree.

Synner: Continue what youīre doing. I think you have the right idea. I would only like to see some of this stuff making some better spots in the books this time around.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (CanvasBack @ Mar 22 2005, 04:05 PM)
Also take into consideration penitentes, in the Southwest, these people have been known to beat and or cut themselves, and during the Easter season volunteer to have themselves literally are nailed to a cross.  Many report having visions as well...

Officially, no one gets nailed to the cross, especially not publicly like in some countries (e.g., the Philippines), although mock crucifixion do occur. Given that it is Holy Week, I would also remind you that in New Mexico many of them practice their rituals in the annual pilgrimage to El Santuarios de Chimayo. Do they have visions? That's one for debate. Given the fact that even normal pilgrims do so, and the penitentes often start from ~80 miles and 2000+ feet lower in altitude in Albuquerque without water, "visions" aren't exactly... unexpected.

Of course, their practices didn't appear out of nowhere. Persoanlly, the penitentes in Spain, and specifically in Sevilla, inflict more awful punishment on themselves. But the difference between Spanish and New Mexico penitentes lies in one fundamental difference: Most of the ones in New Mexico are very secretive about it, and will rarely admit it if asked unless you see the mock crucifixions. Many of them are also Santeros.

However, given their secretive nature, God only knows what they really do, and I'm not about to spread rumor and conjecture.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Mar 21 2005, 09:41 PM)
I'm still patiently waiting for what I asked for, which whatever it was you just posted most certainly was not.

Can you not read? I gave you exactly what you asked for. Let me fill you in, again.
QUOTE (SR3 @ p.162)
Each shaman has a totem. A totem is a powerful spirit that gives the shaman magical power and knowledge. The shaman, in turn, follows the ideals represented by the totem. [OOC rule omitted.] Technically, it is the totem who chooses the shaman.

Now, prove me wrong.

I'm getting sick and and fucking tired of being the only fucking person on DS who has to defend myself. How about some of you back up your own claims?
craigpierce
QUOTE (Sharaloth)
In any case, Archimagus, what does it matter what religion one takes as their own? It doesn't seem relevant to the discussion, or the quote.

you're right...doesn't matter...just going a bit off topic (while still within the realm of the topic).

i just thought that what he had to say was interesting, and so i wondered if he belonged to any specific school of thought. whenever i find someone who has an intriguing view of God/religion/whatever, i like to know where they're coming from because i may want to go there myself.

now...i feel i'm in over my head here...so i'm jumping thread...enjoy the discussion!
CanvasBack
QUOTE (Synner @ Mar 22 2005, 06:37 PM)
St. Thomas Aquinas, aka "The Good Doctor," aka "The Dumb-Ox," (for his large size and propensity for not speaking very much) was said to have mastered the performance of White and Grey Magic and had a thorough knowledge of, but of course would never use,  Black Magic.  Clearly the term hermetic would aplly to him.

Strange you should mention him... few people actually know about that aspect of his studies.

[

Well you may think it's strange but I do have a fairly good reason for knowing that about him. I'll leave it for you to speculate about what that reason may be.

Aquinas would be very difficult to evaluate given the criteria described. Where do you separate his practicing magic with being the recipient of visions and miracles? As a source of canon theology for the Roman Catholic Church, his study of magic might raise very difficult questions, and for some it could be seen as a grounds for stripping his status as a saint. It has happened, however rarely.

Magic was categorized by the Church into three categories, white/grey/black. White magic was generally seen as beneficial magic or healing magic, neutral magic was neither good or bad, it just was. Astrology, Tarot Card reading, pamphlets listing lucky and unlucky days and times... Black magic was used for selfish and often carnal purposes and involved bargaining with the powers in Hell, perhaps even Satan himself. Under the Church's law, the practice of black magic was expressly forbidden, and it's study was limited to people who had a good track record with the Church in terms of its canon laws. In a sense, this the fictional Encyclical Dei confroms with this standard. It's how the magic is used that determines good or evil. EXCEPT: There is clearly an area of magic the Church traditionally would not want even it's most trusted personnel to even touch, and I don't think that's reflected in SR, but I may be wrong about that... Generally the practice of magic of any kind was discouraged by the Church among ordinary people, even if some things like astrology and fortune telling were tolerated. Astrology was a required subject for medical doctors in Medieval and Renaissance Europe.

On the other hand, this whole debate may be an emic/etic issue. Perhaps the R.C.C. doesn't consider a "miracle" magic, but anybody outside of that belief system might not understand the difference.

So if the transfiguration of the Eucharist; bread into the body of Christ, wine into his blood, is considered a miracle by a priest, an anthropologist probably would have no problem classifying that as a ''magic" ritual.
Sharaloth
Ah, okay, I share a similar curiosity. It just seemed from the wording that you were framing for an attack of some kind. I'm very glad to see that I'm wrong.

QUOTE ("Crimsondude 2.0")
I'm getting sick and and fucking tired of being the only fucking person on DS who has to defend myself.

I think Rory Blackhandcould offer you comfort, assuming you wanted it, but that is besides the point. This is what I was referring to with the 'foolhardy' thing I said earlier. I don't mean to be a jerk about it, but the flaws in your argument are fairly easy to exploit, and in a highly-imaginative setting there are many ways of getting around any problems.
Fortune
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
Can you not read? I gave you exactly what you asked for.

I believe that Funk is refering to this question ...

That said, perhaps you can quote page references (not that any of it means much in a 4th Edition discussion) that specifically states that 1) totems are these sentient, all-powerful god-like beings you seem to have deluded yourself into believing and 2) no other options are available beyond that single interpretation (which, even then, varies from tribe to tribe itself) of yours.
mintcar
(In reference to all of CanvasBackīs posts) See how cool this is? Now letīs have more of this in Shadowrun, please. smile.gif
craigpierce
QUOTE (Sharaloth)
Ah, okay, I share a similar curiosity. It just seemed from the wording that you were framing for an attack of some kind. I'm very glad to see that I'm wrong.

"i'm very glad to see that i'm wrong"

thanks...i know i'm new here, but i'm not dumb (not that i thought that anyone was saying i was cool.gif ); and it's just nice that you guys are getting to know me a little better bit by bit...i wouldn't flame anyone unless it was called for and unless i could do it in a respectable way...i belong to another forum where someone actually made me flame them with grammer...well, i was right and once i provided proof the discussion ended

i do feel dumb though...i can't believe i never bothered to wander onto these boards years ago when i was first discovering the shadowrun archives. i just didn't know much about forums at the time...

allwell - hindsight
craigpierce
QUOTE (mintcar)
(In reference to all of CanvasBackīs posts) See how cool this is? Now letīs have more of this in Shadowrun, please. smile.gif

seriously...

i love shadowrun because of it's bladerunner style grit and realism and what is more gritty and real than religion and the "discussions" it can cause?
Fortune
QUOTE (archimagus)
...i belong to another forum where someone actually made me flame them with grammer...well, i was right and once i provided proof the discussion ended

Not to flame you or anything, but I find this comment extremely funny coming from someone who doesn't use capitalization and misspells the main word in his point. biggrin.gif
Kanada Ten
mintcar
(In reference to all of CanvasBackīs posts) See how cool this is? Now letīs have more of this in Shadowrun, please.

CanvasBack
This discussion is one of the reasons I wish SR had kept its mitts/MiTS off of organized religion.
Cynic project
I have not read the whole thread so I may be repeating what someone has already said.

That being said, why would a Jew be more likely to be an eagle shamans, than than say a druid getting the idol of ywhw? Why would A jesuit, more like follow "Dog", than a suiox follow "God"?

I think that there should be no differences between idol and totems. The are both the same in rules.

I would like to see, some idols to take the form of saints, prophets, or holy people. I think it would be sort of nifty to see, I follow the path of Noah. Maybe to see a fight between the followers of Saul and Paul.
CanvasBack
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
mintcar
(In reference to all of CanvasBackīs posts) See how cool this is? Now letīs have more of this in Shadowrun, please.

CanvasBack
This discussion is one of the reasons I wish SR had kept its mitts/MiTS off of organized religion.

Just to clarify my initial comment. As interesting as a "what-if" discussion of the R.C.C.'s attitudes towards magic might be in a reality where mana-balls exist, there is a line that can be easily crossed between good natured speculation and pretty disrespectful or outrighted bigoted portrayals of religion. Let me just right off the bat say that I don't think discussion in the present forum has crossed the line but...

There are about 1 billion Catholics on the planet, you can't very well homogenize a group that large, but I dare say some of them would have a problem with how their religion is portrayed in SR. I find it kind of interesting that the Southern Baptist Convention wasn't given nearly as much attention... And the assumption that most main-line Protestant churches would automatically be ok with magic is somewhat absurd IMHO. I dare say Lutherans might have huge problems with it... But that's only speculation, it could be that Lutherans in general would accept magic or maybe the Missouri Synod would be the only one for or against its practical use. Who the hell knows?

I mean, can you imagine going up to the Dalai Lama and asking him what degree black belt he is? If you can imagine that, then I double-dawg dare you to ask a Jesuit priest how he scored down at the shooting range. What can I say, I get a little nervous about trivializing a group of people's spiritual beliefs. I'm fairly sure that many Native Americans wouldn't appreciate the depiction of what they consider to be sacred rites as a means to blow away some dude with an "acid bolt." Though I admit, I did know one Native American that thought the SR universe was pretty cool. He happened to be Sioux... wink.gif

craigpierce
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (archimagus @ Mar 23 2005, 11:57 AM)
...i belong to another forum where someone actually made me flame them with grammer...well, i was right and once i provided proof the discussion ended

Not to flame you or anything, but I find this comment extremely funny coming from someone who doesn't use capitalization and misspells the main word in his point. biggrin.gif

grinbig.gif

nice...'grammer' was an honest mistake, but i never capitalize when i type...and i do it randomly when i hand write - i also over use the hyphen and the ellipsis

nobody's perfect; however i do believe that you should at least know that

e·volve

is the break-up of the syllables in the word, not the pronunciation key for the word. am i wrong? (would't be the first time if i was spin.gif )
craigpierce
QUOTE (CanvasBack)
...I find it kind of interesting that the Southern Baptist Convention wasn't given nearly as much attention...

i really think this was a good point made, not a shot taken (though i really am often wrong)...either way, i just want to say that i did say that i would think of a christian shaman as i might think of the stereotypical southern baptist, not how i would think of an actual southern baptist. i did live in alabama for about 10 years, so i know my share of actual southern baptists, and i know that the 'gospel' style churches are in the minority.....

also, i'd like to point out that i never said that the stereotype was a bad one, as i don't not think that that style of worship is any better/worse than any other...
Critias
There's plenty of "room" for all the major religions to be whatever individual character's source of magical power. But there's not much of a need for rules for them, in much the same way I think there was no call or need for rules for all the neo-pagan witch stuff in some SR3 books recently.

Who really wants numbers associated with their faith? Do you want to be the game developer making that call, deciding which real-world religion is more potent than the others? Do you want to figure out whether Judaism has better spellcasting mods than Christianity, the person putting in print that Catholic mages are stronger than Protestant? The one deciding whether or not an atheist can still cast spells at all, or quantifying the numbers for the Muslim faith?

I don't think systems of belief need stats. I've never liked the idea of real-world faiths being given game numbers, because you're either blatantly playing favorites ("Pagans can do this! Christians are just delusional Hermetics!", being boring ("all real world religions use ___________ rules"), or being outright offensive about it ("Christians get a +1 to their spellcasting rolls on Sunday, but lose their magical power forever if they work on the Sabbath!").

I prefer they leave things vague, with a few gentle suggestions what what existing game-mechanics we can use for real world religions (like in MitS, for the most part). Keep things open for personal and GM interpretation, don't step on toes, don't give yourself (as a developer) the chance to accidentally play favorites and make your own faith-of-the-moment kick all the ass, etc, etc, etc. Keep personal beliefs personal. Don't give them game stats.
Synner
Do not confuse faiths and their belief systems with their associated magic traditions.

There is a vast gap between the dogma and doctrine and the mysto-religious practices which are often segregated from the main lore of the relevant faith (see Judaism/Qabbalah, Islam/Sufism, Christianity/Theurgy etc) at least in Western faiths. The same is equally true to most Pagan faiths (Neo-Druidism, Asartu, etc) with the exception of Wicca (especially the Gardnerian branch).

Real world faiths were never "given numbers". The material recently published in SOTA64 exclusively covers the use game use of those mysto-religious magical systems, symbologies and their integral (religion-based) paradigms of the world and magics place in it. It doesn't reflect the beliefs of Wiccans or Druids or Asartu followers, it simply shows how magicians (and believers in general) brought up in those faiths' mysto-religious traditions typically view and use magic. That's all.

At no point did we even suggest that was the totality of their beliefs, that it even reflected the religion's doctrine as a whole or the approaches/choices of individual magicians, we simply stated that magicians who use those magic systems associated with those religions are often molded by the integral religious paradigms and as such should use the relevant rules to reflect this.
Critias
I didn't say you covered "the totality of" those beleifs, but it's the closest you've come, as far as I can recall. I think it was a step in the wrong direction, and I like it better when you guys weren't even close to doing that sort of thing. Don't get defensive, Synner, it's not like I was pointing fingers and calling names. I was expressing a concern about a possible trend.

Better to not touch it with a 10 foot pole (at least not with numbers involved), as far as I'm concerned. Giving some hints and guidelines and a pinch of suggestions (for appropriate Idols, etc) like in MitS seemed allright to me, but the SotA book got a little close for my liking, is all I'm saying.

I'd just hate for Shadowrun to get a bunch of people all up in a tizzy, the way quite a few other RPGs have, by integrating religion too much. We don't have the fan base to even give people a chance to see their faith portrayed in a bad light, I think.
mintcar
Perhaps youīre right. Were Iīm from, people who get upset about things like religion in rpgīs are a very small and usually ignored minority. Donīt get me wrong. I try to be open minded and respectful to peopleīs faith. Even studied religion for some time to that end. But still the ease by which you can upset highly religious folk groups (like americans are, actually) never seizes to amaze me.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ Mar 23 2005, 11:21 AM)
Can you not read? I gave you exactly what you asked for.

I believe that Funk is refering to this question ...

Still waiting.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012