Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Questions we'd like answered in the FAQ....
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
DragginSPADE
I've got a couple of questions for the developers concerning SR4, and I know others do as well. I haven't had time to read through all the threads on this board, so some of these questions might be redundant but here goes.

1. Is the core rules mechanic in SR4 going to remain the same? i.e. roll a number of dice equal to your skill or attribute against a TN and count how many of the dice are successful.

2. Will there be dice pools in SR4?

3. Has the Saito situation been resolved in the CFS by 2070?

4. Will any of the AAA megacorps die or become significantly stronger due to the matrix crash?

Those are a few of the questions I'd like to see answered on the FAQ/blog. What are the rest of you curious about?
hobgoblin
1. & 2. i think these have been commented on by adam and others here on the forum. i dont think we will get much more info about is so as to not drop the big one on the fanbase to soon.

3. & 4. most likely this will be coverd in system crash/failure (dont recall the name properly) and cant be commented on right now so as to not spoil the surprise...
Toa
Will there be a complete rehash of the vehicle rules in order to implement them into combat more easily? Will the rules be able to do a shootout chase with different vehicles?

I want my highway action, man. frown.gif
Sandoval Smith
QUOTE (DragginSPADE)
I've got a couple of questions for the developers concerning SR4, and I know others do as well. I haven't had time to read through all the threads on this board, so some of these questions might be redundant but here goes.

1. Is the core rules mechanic in SR4 going to remain the same? i.e. roll a number of dice equal to your skill or attribute against a TN and count how many of the dice are successful.

2. Will there be dice pools in SR4?

3. Has the Saito situation been resolved in the CFS by 2070?

4. Will any of the AAA megacorps die or become significantly stronger due to the matrix crash?

Those are a few of the questions I'd like to see answered on the FAQ/blog. What are the rest of you curious about?

1: Is still under wraps because it's still getting worked out. Anything said today might not be true tomorrow.

2: Ditto.

3: Who knows. Maybe naked mole rats chew his face off. There's a resolution for you.

4: One of the megacorps is going down. I think Novatech is looking likely for this role. To bad, I rather liked Villiers. Art can choke on it.
Kagetenshi
Ares! They've been playing with bug-spirit fire, now it's time for them to bite the big one!

~J
Lucyfersam
I would really like to see some comments on what we might expect as far as the magic system is concerned. How much change and the very general nature would be nice...
Fortune
QUOTE (Sandoval Smith)
One of the megacorps is going down. I think Novatech is looking likely for this role. To bad, I rather liked Villiers. Art can choke on it.

Where do you get this? The info available says that a Corp (probably Novatech) takes drastic measures to stave off disaster. I see a merger with Transys Neuronet in the works.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Lucyfersam)
I would really like to see some comments on what we might expect as far as the magic system is concerned. How much change and the very general nature would be nice...

There is some degree of change, though I can't go into details right now (mostly because it's not all nailed down as yet). Things will be recognizable, but there will be a bit of a learning curve. There hasn't been a horrendous amount of that in my group's testing so far, however.

We like it. I'm eagerly awaiting the opportunity to tell you about it, but there are still things to nail down before we can do that.
RunnerPaul
Here's my questions I'd love to have an answers for:

We've heard about a Matrix 2.0 and how Deckers and Riggers are being merged into Hackers, and how Augmented Reality and Wireless connectivity will be the tool that frees Hackers to become mobile digital wizards. How ubiquitous will this Augmented Reality be to the everyday citizen in 2070, and will it require an implant to access? If there is an implant, is there a non-cyberware alternative? And finally, how does all this wireless connectivity impact the SINless?
mfb
i don't see them making entire lines of cyberware obsolete. my guess is, you'll have a small wireless unit that plugs into either a datajack or a trode rig. hopefully, there will be rules for trode rigs in SR4. you know, minor details like cost and availability.
Bigity
Are we going to have more art (pictures) of equipment and other gear in this new edition?

With regards to the touchy hacker/rigger thing, I notice that the post on the SR4 FAQ didn't mention anything about vehicles. If "hackers" can now slice hosts, and control drones, what can they do with vehicles?
Fortune
QUOTE (Bigity)
... what can they do with vehicles?

Drive them?!?
Bigity
Haha.

How about, get Control Pool, get TN reductions, get initiative bonuses, gunnery, etc etc.

Or is some "mobile digital wizard" going to be able to perform in a vehicle using a control method similar to captain's chair the same as a 3rd edition jacked-in rigger in direct control?
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Bigity)
Haha.

How about, get Control Pool, get TN reductions, get initiative bonuses, gunnery, etc etc.

Or is some "mobile digital wizard" going to be able to perform in a vehicle using a control method similar to captain's chair the same as a 3rd edition jacked-in rigger in direct control?

My bet is that they will be able to "jump into" vehicles and control them to [a rigger degree] based on the power of their [simsense rig]. I expect they will have the ability to control hosts and vehicles in a captains chair mode, but to be truly powerful with one specific thing they will need to "jump into" it (host or drone which I expect will be the same thing). It's more that they're replacing the Matrix with CCSS than vice versa.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Bigity)
With regards to the touchy hacker/rigger thing, I notice that the post on the SR4 FAQ didn't mention anything about vehicles.

Which post were you talking about? It certainly can't be this one (I've added underlining on the relevant section):

Q. Will riggers be combined with deckers/hackers?
A. Yes, we are removing the distinction between them. This does not mean riggers will go away — there will still be hackers who specialize in drones, vehicle operations, or security systems. But the protocols, technology, and game mechanics behind them will be the same.
Lucyfersam
I kind of like the thought that a universal simrig would replace the VCR and be necessary for VR computer work. It always kind of bothered me how much VR IO just a datajack could provide.
Bigity
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
QUOTE (Bigity)
With regards to the touchy hacker/rigger thing, I notice that the post on the SR4 FAQ didn't mention anything about vehicles.

Which post were you talking about? It certainly can't be this one (I've added underlining on the relevant section):

Q. Will riggers be combined with deckers/hackers?
A. Yes, we are removing the distinction between them. This does not mean riggers will go away — there will still be hackers who specialize in drones, vehicle operations, or security systems. But the protocols, technology, and game mechanics behind them will be the same.

It was. Obviously I missed it. grinbig.gif
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Lucyfersam)
I kind of like the thought that a universal simrig would replace the VCR and be necessary for VR computer work. It always kind of bothered me how much VR IO just a datajack could provide.

well i had the theory that the VCR is there not only to control a vehicle but to allow the driver/pilot to survive the high Gs that SR vehicles was able to produce at the extreme end rotfl.gif

and a simrig was never used for playback, only for recording. still, i would have thought that a simple implant at the base of the skull, intercepting any IO between the brain and the spinal cord would be all that was needed. that is outside of audio, visual and smell/taste tho as they go directly to the brain...
Ol' Scratch
How about these for some straight-forward yet vague-enough-not-to-break-an-NDA questions:

1) Is the new dice mechanic at present completely different from the current one, or is it at least familiar?

2) If it is different, how much of a learning curve was there when it was first introduced to you and how do you, personally, like it compared to the old one?

3) Are Attributes and Skills of equal merit to the new system for purposes of task resolution, or is one (you don't have to say which one) clearly more dominant position to the other as far as determing success is concerned?

4) If the mechanic is new, is the curve it creates an actual curve, or a freaky convolted mess like the current mechanic?

And finally, and most importantly to me: 5) If it is a new mechanic, is it fun? And if you had to choose between the two mechanics, which one would you rather use?
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Mar 29 2005, 08:55 PM)
How about these for some straight-forward yet vague-enough-not-to-break-an-NDA questions:

1)  Is the new dice mechanic at present completely different from the current one, or is it at least familiar?

It is different, but it's familiar.
2)  If it is different, how much of a learning curve was there when it was first introduced to you and how do you, personally, like it compared to the old one?

There was a slight learning curve, but not excessive IMO. It took a couple of times remembering that things were different so that I could grab the appropriate dice, but that flattened out pretty quickly and easily for me. I like the new mechanic, but I kind of liked the old one, too. Of the two, I think I still like the old mechanic better, but that could also be 16 years of familiarity talking at the moment.
3)  Are Attributes and Skills of equal merit to the new system for purposes of task resolution, or is one (you don't have to say which one) clearly more dominant position to the other as far as determing success is concerned?

In my limited experience with it so far, they appear to be pretty equal to me.
4)  If the mechanic is new, is the curve it creates an actual curve, or a freaky convoluted mess like the current mechanic?

You're going to have to leave the statistics to someone with a higher pay grade than mine; my job doesn't call for statistical analysis, and I've never been good at it anyway.
And finally, and most importantly to me:  5)  If it is a new mechanic, is it fun?  And if you had to choose between the two mechanics, which one would you rather use?

It is fun; I've been having a blast, outside of the normal pitfalls you're going to get whenever you're playtesting things of this nature. While I still have 16 years telling me that the old mechanic is just fine, I think this one will move things a little faster. At least it has with my group.

Does that help?
mfb
interesting.
Deamon_Knight
Actually, anyone else more worried that the Mage/Shaman identities will be folded together, like the Decker/Rigger move? In the interest of streamlining, those two probably have more in common than Riggers and Deckers.

Maybe I'm just crazy though.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Deamon_Knight)
Actually, anyone else more worried that the Mage/Shaman identities will be folded together, like the Decker/Rigger move? In the interest of streamlining, those two probably have more in common than Riggers and Deckers.

Maybe I'm just crazy though.

Do you folks really have so little faith in us? Do you really think we're doing things to screw up the game that we love as much as you do? No, on second thought, maybe you shouldn't answer that, since I'm not sure I'd like the answer.

Mages and shamen will still be themselves.
Patrick Goodman
One-word replies make me nervous, mfb. Could you elaborate slightly?
mfb
oh my god! he didn't mention adepts! THAT MEANS THEY"RE GONNA BE TURNED INTO CATGIRLS!

damn you!
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (mfb)
oh my god! he didn't mention adepts! THAT MEANS THEY"RE GONNA BE TURNED INTO CATGIRLS!

damn you!

Looks like someone's been talking out of school....

grinbig.gif
Penta
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman)
There was a slight learning curve, but not excessive IMO. It took a couple of times remembering that things were different so that I could grab the appropriate dice, but that flattened out pretty quickly and easily for me. I like the new mechanic, but I kind of liked the old one, too. Of the two, I think I still like the old mechanic better, but that could also be 16 years of familiarity talking at the moment.

Ack!

Please, let that not mean what I think it means...

They're not moving away from generic D6s, are they?
Deamon_Knight
Sorry Pat, I'm a Cynic and a Pessimist. Things like "new and improved" and "streamlined" sound good, but with the likes of New Coke and New Starwars Movies flying about like so much crap in the wind, New makes me nervous.
mfb
as i understand it, the d6 will still have a strong place in SR4. for instance, it's used for shortsword damage, and also determines the Invisible Way adept's hp per level.
Arethusa
Does mfb rock?

If I roll a 10 or above, then yes

Larsine
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman)
It took a couple of times remembering that things were different so that I could grab the appropriate dice

Does this mean that there are different types of dice?

Lars
Eyeless Blond
Could mean different *numbers* of dice, which would indicate that attributes have something to do with skill (which would be interesting, to say the least.)
BIGTasty
First post here on Dumpshock, but SR4 has me worried and happy at the same time. I've been a fan of the setting for around 7 years now but I never actually got to get together with my RPG group and play till just a few weeks ago. And we've been having a ball ever since, we incorporate an online website and message board into our roleplaying when we can't be at the table (we are using the message board as an in-game BBS where the players post as various characters talking about the Shadowrun world and events happening as well as posting in character roleplaying). But I do have a few questions about 4th edition, having just started learning 3rd edition (in fact our first game was a few days before the announcement of SR4).

For one thing, I'm glad for the new streamlined rules, having 4 different systems for various things in one RPG is very hard to learn. My major headache is decking and rigging glad those will be simplified together. Magic seems fine the way it is, almost the same as ranged combat. Melee combat hasn't come up much so far though so I don't know what problems that will entail.

Question #1) A favorite part of the matrix of mine is the Otaku. Will they be staying on and in what capacity with the dawn of the augmented reality Matrix 2.0?

Question #2) Will the Matrix 2.0 be more like the Astral plane where a hacker will shift over while leaving his physical body behind and do things like jack into a nearby computer or take control of a nearby camera and what not? That's what I think of when I hear the term digital wizard.

Question #3) Not a question, a demand. Don't kill Novatech, they are my favorite megacorp. We ran First Run and got to meet Richard Villiers and he was nice to us, don't let anything happen to him!

Question #3) Any chances of giving us some info on some hot new tech in the more distant future of SR4? What has developed? Plasma weapons or something like that?

Question #4) Any new types of goblinization or SURGE, any new metavariants or new races in general?

Question #5) Is it possible for dragons to deck/hack yet?

Thanks for your time!
Sandoval Smith
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Could mean different *numbers* of dice, which would indicate that attributes have something to do with skill (which would be interesting, to say the least.)

I read that as meaning the number of dice thrown was different than what he was used to.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman)
It took a couple of times remembering that things were different so that I could grab the appropriate dice, but that flattened out pretty quickly and easily for me.

OMFG, it's going to be color coded d6s like the Immortal: The Invisible War
RPG used color coded d10s.

(it's amazing the rumors one can start when one reads way too much into every little tidbit of information that gets doled out to us, isn't it?)
Cain
Question #2) Will the Matrix 2.0 be more like the Astral plane where a hacker will shift over while leaving his physical body behind and do things like jack into a nearby computer or take control of a nearby camera and what not? That's what I think of when I hear the term digital wizard.

That's kinda what we're guessing, but we're not sure.

They already can; Celedyr owns Transys Neuronet, and Eliohann has a datajack.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (BIGTasty)

Dunkie was posting comments on Shadowland way back in the Street Sam Catalog, first edition's first sourcebook. However, he was decking via tortise most likely.

The question I'm guessing you wanted to ask was, can they access the Matrix via full immersion ASIST virtual reality, and Cain's already answered that one.
BIGTasty
Yes, thank you both.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman)
Does that help?

Yup, much obliged and pretty much what I was assuming at this point anyway. My only concern with the responses is that the new mechanic wasn't so alluring as to completely win you over versus the older mechanic, but that's not too big of a surprise coming from a curmudgeon. smile.gif
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Penta)
Ack!

Please, let that not mean what I think it means...

They're not moving away from generic D6s, are they?

Nope. Still have to have a small boatload of those on the table. No other shapes required.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Deamon_Knight)
Sorry Pat, I'm a Cynic and a Pessimist. Things like "new and improved" and "streamlined" sound good, but with the likes of New Coke and New Starwars Movies flying about like so much crap in the wind, New makes me nervous.

Please don't call me Pat. I know it's shorter, but it's also something I'd prefer to limit to family, as it is now.

And I can fully understand nervousness and cynicism. I had the same feelings when I first got the playtest materials, but once I started going through the stuff, I began to see what Rob's going for. I don't agree with all the changes, and I've made my objections and those of my playtest group known to Rob, but to me the good stuff far outweighs the bad. Since most of the stuff I'm seeing as bad is terminology changes and not actual rules, I think we're on the right track.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Larsine)
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman)
It took a couple of times remembering that things were different so that I could grab the appropriate dice

Does this mean that there are different types of dice?

No, it means I miscounted the first time and had to grab a different number. D6 all the way; I was just a little groggy as I was typing that last night.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Mar 29 2005, 11:56 PM)
It took a couple of times remembering that things were different so that I could grab the appropriate dice, but that flattened out pretty quickly and easily for me.

OMFG, it's going to be color coded d6s like the Immortal: The Invisible War
RPG used color coded d10s.

(it's amazing the rumors one can start when one reads way too much into every little tidbit of information that gets doled out to us, isn't it?)

I'll be sure to mention that to the Powers That Be...sounds like a great idea.... devil.gif
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Mar 29 2005, 10:56 PM)
Does that help?

Yup, much obliged and pretty much what I was assuming at this point anyway. My only concern with the responses is that the new mechanic wasn't so alluring as to completely win you over versus the older mechanic, but that's not too big of a surprise coming from a curmudgeon. smile.gif

Happy to help, Doc. I'm more than willing to answer anyone who's civil if I can within the bounds of my NDA contract.

More as I get the chance.
Demonseed Elite
And I can fully understand nervousness and cynicism. I had the same feelings when I first got the playtest materials, but once I started going through the stuff, I began to see what Rob's going for. I don't agree with all the changes, and I've made my objections and those of my playtest group known to Rob, but to me the good stuff far outweighs the bad. Since most of the stuff I'm seeing as bad is terminology changes and not actual rules, I think we're on the right track.

Agreed with everything Patrick said there.

There's one rules thing I'm trying to get changed now, but overall, I'm liking what I see. And that's something to keep in mind: the SR4 development isn't an echo chamber. If something is put out that seems problematic or is seen as a bad idea, we do speak up about it and try to get it fixed/changed. We're all players, and so we face the questions of "does this work?" or "would I play this?" On top of that, the writers involved in the discussions realize that once it's in SR4, it becomes the standard we use for our writing in the future. So we're pretty picky! biggrin.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman)
Please don't call me Pat.

You really should add something like that to your sig. smile.gif
Dizzo Dizzman
I'm glad that they are doing extensive playtesting and thanks to all the playtesters out there. Good luck catching all those little bugs!!! nyahnyah.gif
DrJest
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Mar 30 2005, 11:21 PM)

Ka-chik "Don't call me Pat" BOOM

I like it smile.gif

Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Fortune @ Mar 30 2005, 10:16 AM)
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Mar 30 2005, 11:21 PM)

Yeah, I really should. I think I will. I just didn't think people ever actually read my sig.
Wounded Ronin
Can we call you Goodomanu-san in a desperate attempt to preserve elements of the 80s in SR?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012