Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Questions we'd like answered in the FAQ....
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Taki
QUOTE (Hell Hound)
the character's wires moved their body before their brain had finished thinking

OK for this BUT : it can't all the action done faster AND the player shouldn't have time to THINK. No way to avoid killing your friend poping in your back for the play ...
wired REFLEXES has quickly become -many attack cybered-

"If you grab the arm of someone with a handgun they just need to pivot their wrist and they can still shoot you"
So grab the wrist ... or parry the wrist, the elbow or anywhere with your katana !

"I have had players that tried to get away with using their firearms skills in melee combat so that they didn't need to bother learning a melee combat skill."

Wrong. A munchkin in SR3 always used his gun to attack in melee, but used any other melee skill to defend.
Phantom Runner
QUOTE (hermit)
Makes no sense, does it? I mean, there's this man who moves so fast he's everywhere at once, and then there's Grog the Tortoise, the slowest troll on the planet, and Grog will knock out a ninja every time he attacks, because the ninja is TOO FAST FOR HIS OWN GOOD.

Maybe the hundreds of games of SR that I have run and have played in have all been some kind of deviation from the norm, but I have never seen this happen. In all accounts if the scenario you described (skilled martial artists attacking not so skilled Troll) not once has the skilled guy been beaten by the unskilled Troll.

Are my experiences that out of the norm? Or is this simply an extreme case that in truth rarely happens?
blakkie
QUOTE (Phantom Runner)
QUOTE (hermit)
Makes no sense, does it? I mean, there's this man who moves so fast he's everywhere at once, and then there's Grog the Tortoise, the slowest troll on the planet, and Grog will knock out a ninja every time he attacks, because the ninja is TOO FAST FOR HIS OWN GOOD.

Maybe the hundreds of games of SR that I have run and have played in have all been some kind of deviation from the norm, but I have never seen this happen. In all accounts if the scenario you described (skilled martial artists attacking not so skilled Troll) not once has the skilled guy been beaten by the unskilled Troll.

Are my experiences that out of the norm? Or is this simply an extreme case that in truth rarely happens?

Just a note, slow does not equal unskilled. Even with low initiative, Insane Troll Body + Laser Axe + Troll Reach + Insane Str + Ninja that relies heavily on dodging to avoid damage = Dead Ninja. It's just how SR3 melee mechanics works. *shrug*
Phantom Runner
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (Phantom Runner @ Apr 26 2005, 06:23 AM)
QUOTE (hermit)

Just a note, slow does not equal unskilled. Even with low initiative, Insane Troll Body + Laser Axe + Troll Reach + Insane Str + Ninja that relies heavily on dodging to avoid damage = Dead Ninja. It's just how SR3 melee mechanics works. *shrug*

Slow != unskilled. Right. Never said that.

A Troll with incredible reach, a powerful weapon, and a lot of dice to back it up should be a threat. In no way should anyone look at that Troll and think that they would be able to take him without any weapons. If the Ninja is dumb enough to think that the Troll in that situation is not a treat, then he should be dead.

What I am saying is that for me the mechanics never lead to a situation where someone who obviously outclassed the opponent (ie had the skill at high levels)was defeated by the guy who had to default (ie no skill, defaulting to attribute).
blakkie
Troll with incredible reach, a powerful weapon, and a lot of dice to back it up should be a threat. In no way should anyone look at that Troll and think that they would be able to take him without any weapons.

I think hermit's point, and certainly something i am inclined to think, is that said Troll shouldn't have a theoretically unlimited ability to deal damage when attacked.

How hermit wrapped up the example doesn't underline the absurdity as well as it could. The problem isn't that the Troll beats the fast guy, it's that the Troll beats him so quickly. I don't have a problem with the Troll defending himself from attack, but being able to turn an unlimited number of melee attacks back on the attacker(s) for damage leads to some absurd situations.

P.S. In D&D 3e a variation on kind of thing lead to the munkin construct of a Bag Of Infinite Enemy Kobolds. A fighter of an appropriate level and feats would open the bag and have the Kobalds run past him to generate attacks against more agressive foes. SR3 melee wasn't as bad because you can't use the damage against someone other than the attacker, but it does create some strange situations.
hermit
That's my point. But yeah, I could have brought it out better.

The troll gets many bonus attacks. He should just not have the initiative to do that (what I referred to as "slow"). And unless he has wires to do the thinking for him, all he really notices of the ninja is punches coming from all sides at once, whith his brain trying to figure out what to do about it. That's what his initiative score represents, right? So how the hell is he to react sensibly on an ultra-fast furry ninja, then?
HobbeGoblin
I have played an adept that got beat by a troll with less than half my dice. He was strong enough that i had to take the damage, and it was fastly downhill from there.
Phantom Runner
QUOTE (hermit)
That's my point. But yeah, I could have brought it out better.

The troll gets many bonus attacks. He should just not have the initiative to do that (what I referred to as "slow"). And unless he has wires to do the thinking for him, all he really notices of the ninja is punches coming from all sides at once, whith his brain trying to figure out what to do about it. That's what his initiative score represents, right? So how the hell is he to react sensibly on an ultra-fast furry ninja, then?

Ah, I see now what you were trying to say. Still I guess my experiences have never been that said Troll was in any kind of advantage because even with free counterattacks, the Troll has always gotten his butt handed to him....but again maybe my experiences are the aberation.

But all that aside, to mitigate your concern there are a few solutions. Easiest amoung the is to simply reduce the defender's dice for counterattack on subsiquent incoming attacks. Sort of a diminishing returns...propably not the most effective...
Dawnshadow
You guys aren't getting what I was saying..

It doesn't matter how fast you think, when you defend.

If you're fighting, you don't think 'I should duck' because there's a fist flying at my face. You duck, by reflex. No brain activity. Defending, even counter-hits, aren't actions. They're muscle memory. Reflexes, muscle memory, all the stuff that you train into yourself. You're training to fight.. well.. one of the things you train in is little one step combinations.. someone throws a backhand punch.. you don't even think, you step in, deflect and backhand. They're trying to knife you? You shift, slam their wrist with your hand, and clothesline the bugger. You don't stop to think about it -- you just react with the combination that's most ingrained and appropriate to the situation in your head.

You have to decide to attack. You have to decide not to defend. Someone with initiative in the 50s? They can attack a lot more. That doesn't mean that the other person all of the sudden gets overwhelmed. Fast and more skilled -- probably. Fast and less skilled? Probably not. That's the way it should be -- not initiative being so powerful that you can't help but win any and every fight against someone slower, which is what would happen, logically, for making counterattacks nonexistant once you've taken your last action. All you have to do is wait until they've taken their actions and then attack them in melee -- and that's even worse. So my kung fu master, skill 16, with no initiative boosts gets killed by some punk with 3 in brawling, because the punk attacked him in the 3rd phase of the combat turn? No. Of course not. Said punk should have been taken out as he started to attack -- he goes in wildly and gets flattened by the KFM's reflexive backhand while KFM continues doing what he was doing before.

Now.. if KFM had initiative mods as well, then he should tear the punk to shreds after backhanding him, on his own attack -- but that's because he chooses to attack said punk then. Conscious choice. KFM could let the punk run away and get his nose straightened.

Beyond that, your brain doesn't stop working over the combat turn, just because you're out of actions. The mental steps are a little bit faster, the physical steps are a little more efficient -- but they are not blindingly fast. If you want to see what it's like, watch some of martial arts tournaments. You'll see people who just keep attacking, they launch 3-4 attacks, and get hit back on a few of them. That's very comperable to this -- one person has high initiative, attacks multiple times, the other just defends and counters (low initiative). What you'll also find, is that the counters tend to score just as many, if not more, as the attacker -- and with comperable skill, are more likely to knock out said attacker.
hermit
What you'll also find, is that the counters tend to score just as many, if not more, as the attacker -- and with comperable skill, are more likely to knock out said attacker.

You have just figured out the problem here.

Defending, even counter-hits, aren't actions. They're muscle memory. Reflexes, muscle memory, all the stuff that you train into yourself.

BULLSHIT.

Muscles don't have memory.

I can 'delegate' driving my car along often traveled paths and think about entirely different tings, maintaining only slight attention on the happenings on the road. I don't think "switch gears" every time I, well, switch gears. Does that mean I get to automatically succeed in all driving tests?

Also, if parrying/counter-blowing are natural abilities, I fail to see how anyone could be beaten up like I have seen people be beaten up.

So my kung fu master, skill 16, with no initiative boosts gets killed by some punk with 3 in brawling, because the punk attacked him in the 3rd phase of the combat turn? No. Of course not. Said punk should have been taken out as he started to attack -- he goes in wildly and gets flattened by the KFM's reflexive backhand while KFM continues doing what he was doing before.

And your str 5 kung fu lady with kung fu 16 gets insta-flattened by the 21 str monster troll bubba with zero MA ability, defaulting to strength.

GOTCHA.

They're trying to knife you? You shift, slam their wrist with your hand, and clothesline the bugger.

If you have been practicing that for eons, yeah. If not, then you die. In Reality. NOT in SR's melee system.
Dawnshadow
Hermit, guess what.. those tournaments? They aren't Shadowrun. They're the real world.

Muscle memory does exist. It's the term used to describe actions which require no conscious action-- no thought required. At all. Do you need to think to hold a pen? To sign your name, or write a note? You think about what you want to write -- not the act of writing. Martial arts are the same way. You start, and you have to think about every component of every action. Then you get to the point where you think about every action on the whole. Then you start thinking about the actions in sets. Then you don't even think about the intermediate actions required in a set -- unless they're interrupted.

And when you see someone start to throw a punch, you don't think. You just block, or dodge.

Likewise, you're assuming that it applies to everyone -- it's trained into a person. It's 'born with, always had' it's 'developed'.

Likewise.. your 'Bubba'...

Right... really... 21 dice at target 8 vs 16 dice at target 5. Uh huh. KFM does not require combat pool.

Bubba: averages 3 successes.
KFM: averages 5.3 successes.

Now.. if you apply close combat.. then it's 3 successes vs 8 successes. Without combat pool. Might take a while, what with Bubba having troll fortitude... but, there's always combat pool.
hermit

Muscle memory does exist. It's the term used to describe actions which require no conscious action-- no thought required. At all. Do you need to think to hold a pen? To sign your name, or write a note? You think about what you want to write -- not the act of writing. Martial arts are the same way. You start, and you have to think about every component of every action. Then you get to the point where you think about every action on the whole. Then you start thinking about the actions in sets. Then you don't even think about the intermediate actions required in a set -- unless they're interrupted.

Granted, but do you mean you presume all SR characters, NPCs and muscle-clad stupid trolls are martial arts experts?

We're talking past each other. You refer to masters of martial arts. Yeah, I have seen quite amazing things. A tiny girl (about 1.6 meters) do a backflip over my head (close to 2 meters) out of normal walking. Does that mean I could do that? No! She trained since she was, like, five.

And it's not muscle memory per se, but I guess that's a technical term.

And when you see someone start to throw a punch, you don't think. You just block, or dodge.

Nope. If you're a truely skilled (6+) fighter, maybe. If you're an average person, no, you don't. Your "muscles" haven't got the right "memory" yet, so to speak.

Likewise, you're assuming that it applies to everyone -- it's trained into a person. It's 'born with, always had' it's 'developed'.

No. I have no idea where you have that from. It's just plain wrong.
BitBasher
QUOTE (hermit)

Nope. If you're a truely skilled (6+) fighter, maybe. If you're an average person, no, you don't. Your "muscles" haven't got the right "memory" yet, so to speak.

Well good, cause we're talking about trained fighters, not amateurs. Amateurs will get beat down both in SR and in real life.

Really it's true that it's far, far more movement efficient to defend than attack. It's faster and it requires less motion. When you're decent the block or avoidance of a blow itself will cause damage. If you're good someone who swings on you will hurt every time they throw anythying. And they're bringing it all to you. They expend their motion for you to hurt them.
Dawnshadow
It can be done in a lot less time then you think. A year to black belt -- training 4 hours a day (met someone who did it). 3 years to black belt, training 2 hours a week recreationally (first long term club membership -- 3 years, and if you stay on the schedule, you're a first dan black belt.)

As long as you don't disengage, you're fighting. So you don't need to have massive amounts of training for it to work in a fight. Your attention is on the person you're fighting. You just don't have enough initiative to attack.

Beyond that.. it's not restricted to people with tons of skill. People who really aren't that skilled, they don't know all the different techniques and so on, still defend and so on. The basics of defend/counter are drilled into you near the very beginning. They aren't the complicated ones -- but they're drilled in. Stuff like going down the training area, repeating the 'step-back, roundhouse' or 'shift-back, roundhouse' (in Taekwondo).. first and second class for people, at least in the family club. Don't remember what it was like with the others, been too many years.

And as for the wrong memory... that's why they throw fewer dice. Skill 6+, they throw 6+ dice, they have lots of skill, they have the good techniques built in.. Skill 1? They throw 1 die. They've got something, but whether or not it's the right technique, at the right time? Who knows, they could pull it off -- it'd be luck.

What there should be is a specialization for martial arts to 'attack' and 'counterattack', to represent people who train to fight offensively, and people who train to let people come to them -- beyond just full attack, full defense.
blakkie
Muscle memory does exist. It's the term used to describe actions which require no conscious action-- no thought required. At all.

However it DOES require some signals to travel down the nerves into the muscles. Given that most cyber that directly influences Initiative is based on increasing that speed, their "muscle memory" response speed is also something that would likely increase.

Just because you aren't "thinking" doesn't mean your brain isn't involved, or that there is no brain activity. If that was the case breaking your neck wouldn't cause issues with involuntary muscles like your heart. When was the last time you had to "think" to create a heartbeat? An even better example is breathing. Breathing can be mostly voluntarily controled, but you can go days without thinking about flexing your diaphram. However cut off the nerve path from the brain and you're dead shortly.

EDIT: BTW my offhand suggestion would be just to limit the number of counterattacks you can perform to something based on maybe the melee Skill or something to do with Reaction or such. You can still defend "infinately", you just can't counterattack infinately.
hermit
And as for the wrong memory... that's why they throw fewer dice. Skill 6+, they throw 6+ dice, they have lots of skill, they have the good techniques built in.. Skill 1? They throw 1 die. They've got something, but whether or not it's the right technique, at the right time? Who knows, they could pull it off -- it'd be luck.

Skill 0 - bubba throws *21* dice. Skills 1 - Bubba throws *1* dice. Another oddity of the system. But anyway.

And my point is that, while I can accept an average joe troll being able to block attacks using their strength, I have trouble imaging him react as fast as someone who has been doingv kung fu sicne he was 2.

No offense to you, but you seem to be quite trained in some martial art. Average joes (even str 21 average jioes) just know nil about fighting. they stand there, arms dangling down, exposing themselves, and watch the fist approaching in amazement. they don't hit, snake-like, back and knock the kung fu guy out!
BitBasher
And my point is that, while I can accept an average joe troll being able to block attacks using their strength, I have trouble imaging him react as fast as someone who has been doingv kung fu sicne he was 2.
And in SR he won't be, because the person whose been doing it since he was 2 will have FAR more skill, and more skill wins.

No offense to you, but you seem to be quite trained in some martial art. Average joes (even str 21 average jioes) just know nil about fighting. they stand there, arms dangling down, exposing themselves, and watch the fist approaching in amazement. they don't hit, snake-like, back and knock the kung fu guy out!
Right, which represents an unskilled defender, which has not a damn thing to do with speed. That's dice.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (BitBasher)
Average joes (even str 21 average jioes) just know nil about fighting.
Right, which represents an unskilled defender, which has not a damn thing to do with speed. That's dice.

Which is something I think a lot of us are hoping that they keep in mind with SR4's new Attribute+Skill dicerolls.
Dawnshadow
Average Joe in SR:

0 in any melee skill. Default to strength:

Human, elf: 3 dice
Dwarf, Orc: 5 dice
Troll: 7 dice

All at TN 8. Troll gets 1 reach to apply how he wants.

For some reason.. I don't think anyone with skill 3 in any unarmed combat skill will have too much trouble hitting (although hurting may be an issue with some.... at least the troll..)

Especially since skill 3 can throw combat pool in.

It's possible for the troll to win the round. But it isn't easy.. not in the slightest-- and that's assuming 'average' skill.

Tossing a few dice, assuming reach applied to martial artist and no combat pool used on attack tests (also known as: EEK! If he wins I'm gonna need it to soak!)

Troll/MA/Tie/no successes: 3/5/2/0

so.. 50% clear wins for the MA.. without wounds etc, since those will change things around a lot. This is just 10 different opening shots.. in the situation where the unskilled average guy is the toughest possible. Elves and Humans have the barest of chances, dwarves and orcs are somewhere in between.

Now.. the 'arms dangling down'.. .that sounds more like surprise then anything else. I'd more expect arms up, thumb inside the fist, and feet together or some such foolery... but even then, if they get really lucky and the fighter going at them stumbles on the way in, telegraphs the shot (SR terms, rolls no successes) the average joe just might manage to get some hard part of his body in the direct path of the fighter. Not likely, but possible. I wouldn't necessairily chalk it up to the same thing -- more likely I'd say the skilled guy tripped and Joe took the opportunity to hit him while he was recovering from the stumble.
Sunshine
What there should be is a specialization for martial arts to 'attack' and 'counterattack', to represent people who train to fight offensively, and people who train to let people come to them -- beyond just full attack, full defense.

I used this Option in my game of sr after I found two examples in real life: BlitzDefence a Wing Chun derived combat system that emphasises on Counterattacking. Krav Maga on the other side of the medal emphasizing on taking out the opponent before he even attacks (also specialises in disarming).
Specialisation (Counterstrike) or Specialisation (First Strike)
Hell Hound
Dawnshadow, I think the problem others are pointing out is that a high Initiative makes so little difference in a melee.

Example; Shadowrunner A has a combat pool of 8, a martial arts skill(pick any one) of rating 4 and Wired Reflexes 3, resulting a reaction of 5(11) and an average of 3 attacks per turn. Shadowrunner B also has a combat pool of 8, but has a martial arts skill of 6 and no wired reflexes, leaving him with a reaction of 5 and an average of one attack per turn.

Now it would make sense for Shadowrunner A's increased initiative to act as a counterbalance to Shadowrunner B's higher martial arts score, the fact is it doesn't. Shadowrunner A can have 3 or 300 moves in a combat round and Shadowrunner B gets to block each and every one. That high initiative only becomes an advantage when you are squaring off against an opponent who is significantly less skilled, so that extra attacks become extra opportunities to inflict damage.

High Initiative does not exactly translate into high speed, characters with good wires aren't moving about like they're in fast forward, but they are thinking and reacting faster. A high initiative should make a difference, the character with the lower initiative should feel like they are being overwhelmed. Their opponent is doing more in a combat round than they ever could and realistically that would force them onto the defensive. Instead the current shadowrun rules make it possible for the slower but more skilled fighter to beat an opponent solely through counterattacks and do it faster than they ever could by attacking, that shouldn't happen.
Critias
I love how everyone's issues with SR3 keep hijacking every thread about SR4.
Taki
Yeh....
Mainly the trouble come from this point :
In reality, initiative has a lot to do with the skill, as the quickness.
So basically a well train man will be fast (lot of attacks), cool minded (he won't have is consciousness easily fooled and his reflexes will easily anticipate-good init).

The point is here to admit it won't be realistic on that with SR4 (as in SR3). But I hope it will be not to bad, and easy to play !
Hell Hound
QUOTE (Critias)

Fair comment.

So now I'm going to make a really weak attempt to link our long rant to the actual topic.

Since this is supposed to be a place to post questions we want future SR4 FAQs to answer; Taking into account some of the things we have discussed here, and the changes already outlined by previous FAQs (combat pool out, Attribute+Skill versus TN of 5 in) how will the combat system in SR4 work? What, if anything, will replace the Combat Pool? Will melee fights still be made up of attack/counterattack actions? Is initiative going to have more of an impact on melee battles, and if so can the slower but more skilled (ie the cyber-less mundane) fighter still hold their own?
Pthgar
QUOTE (Critias)

That's because we don't know enough SR4 rules to have a good argument yet.
Dawnshadow
QUOTE (Hell Hound)
Now it would make sense for Shadowrunner A's increased initiative to act as a counterbalance to Shadowrunner B's higher martial arts score, the fact is it doesn't. Shadowrunner A can have 3 or 300 moves in a combat round and Shadowrunner B gets to block each and every one. That high initiative only becomes an advantage when you are squaring off against an opponent who is significantly less skilled, so that extra attacks become extra opportunities to inflict damage.

High Initiative does not exactly translate into high speed, characters with good wires aren't moving about like they're in fast forward, but they are thinking and reacting faster. A high initiative should make a difference, the character with the lower initiative should feel like they are being overwhelmed. Their opponent is doing more in a combat round than they ever could and realistically that would force them onto the defensive. Instead the current shadowrun rules make it possible for the slower but more skilled fighter to beat an opponent solely through counterattacks and do it faster than they ever could by attacking, that shouldn't happen.

I don't see it. Admittedly, there's nothing comperable to cyber-boosted initiative in the real world, but there are people who are just fast compared to you.

Works both ways though. I've seen people who are really, really slow that you just can't hit. They can't attack, they can't get the time to, but they block everything.

Beyond that, wired reflexes and so on -- it depends on how you envision it. I don't envision it increasing how fast they think. That doesn't make any sense to me -- I envision it as their body starts to react while they're thinking. Which means they may very well not take the best shots. In fact, it makes them more susceptable to some things -- feints especially. What that means is that the normal initiative, more skilled person, feints a defense one way, the speed-demon switches his attack to break that defense... and gets nailed in the counter-hit. Reacting too fast for your brain is a Bad Thing.

Just as a scenario.. SRA -- wired reflexes 3, taekwondo 4, B is Taekwondo 6.

A and B traded opening hits, B is a bit better, but A is wired up the wazoo, so A keeps attacking.. A moves in, B nails him with a front leg kick, just a stall-me hit, and A immediately launches into the attack again -- so B starts to throw a kick for which the natural counter is a roundhouse.. and immediately turns it into a spin-hook kick, which is the counter for a roundhouse. A, being wired to the extreme, sees the snap-kick start and launches into a roundhouse, before his brain has time to recognize the feint... and gets his head near knocked off when the heel of B's foot collides with his jaw.

Really, someone who has massive initiative boosts should be Penalized in melee, rather than given a bonus -- because of things like that.
Eldritch
Heh, you guys are tryong to wrap the real world around game mechanics...It's a game system, not really meant to emulate real world physics/combat/etc - it's a games system.

I don't really think they've messed too much with initave, but thats just a guess.

I'm really more interested in what the plan is with magic - in partiuclar at char gen. what is the effect of having to buy up magic points? What effect will one point vs 4, vs 6 be on the character? When does astral perception/projection kick in? At one point, or is it staged as your magic increases? Does that mean that a mage that looses magic points faces the possiblity of loosing the abilty to project? As their 'spirit' becomes more blooged down by the cyber....

Magic is a big piece of the Sr world, I'd consider it the defining piece. I'd really like to know how they are changing it, and if the changes will be explained in game, or they will just be rules changes and left at that...

Mage a: "Grounding? Whats that?"
Runner b: "Thats what happened last year when that shamen fragged you in astral space and us poor slobs guarding your meat got zapped."
Mage a: "I'm sorry, I don't know what you're talking about....."

Hell Hound
QUOTE (Dawnshadow)
Really, someone who has massive initiative boosts should be Penalized in melee, rather than given a bonus -- because of things like that.

Absolutely posotively cannot agree with that. Noone in their right mind would fork out 500,000 nuyen.gif for something that makes them worse in melee combat, the place where fast reflexes should make the most difference.

On the subject of feints, the wired up sammie might be already moving when the feint is replaced by the real attack, but because of their wires they have a better chance of changing their own action at the last fraction of a second and still successfully countering their opponent's attack. Wether or not they would realise it is a feint or would have planned for the possibility that it would be a feint comes down to skill level not reflexes. A high initiative should not be, and currently is not, a substitute for high skill levels, but at the same time a high skill level should not be, but currently is, a substitute for high initiative.

Hey, now there's an idea for the the new SR4 combat system (and perhaps a way to keep this argument from carrying over to the new edition). Link initiative to your skill rating, characters with higher skills have more experience, more options, and more ability and so can do more things, or at least respond(counterattack) more often, in a combat round. Cyberware like wired reflexes gives an across the board bonus to this sort of thing so that a poorly skilled fighter with wires can match a black belt in the number of moves but is going to come off second best in every exchange of blows.

Of course for that to work there needs to be some way of reducing the number of actions or counters the character has left in a combat round if and when they change to a skill with a lower rating (such as a character squeezing off a few rounds from an SMG and then turning to face off against a guy with a knife all in one combat round). But that's what you get from an idea less than five minutes old and not carefully thought out.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Eldritch)
Mage a: "Grounding? Whats that?"
Runner b: "Thats what happened last year when that shamen fragged you in astral space and us poor slobs guarding your meat got zapped."

We still use grounding in our games. But removing grounding doesn't make astral space any less dangerous for most mages...
Eldritch

We still use grounding in our games. But removing grounding doesn't make astral space any less dangerous for most mages.

Yeah, I know - I just have a problem when something like that is changed without an in game explanation. Changing behind the scenes mechancis, sure have at it. But to chage a basic physical element of the game, come'on - use some imagination when making those types of changes.
Dawnshadow
Doesn't happen. It's immensely difficult to change an action once you're committed. They have a far better chance at starting to change what they're doing -- but actually changing it? Not likely. They have to change their own momentum -- the most optimistic for their side, is that they don't have to oppose their current momentum, and so are only a partial action behind where they would normally be. The more realistic, following from the same path, is their reflexes kick in and they start to move backwards to avoid the blow, as an example. This is not 'from still' though, this is from 'attack', so they have to arrest their own mometum first... and they're nailed, because even with faster transmission of signals, they've just taken up the advantage from faster signal travel from brain to body.

And, Hell Hound, the game mechanics already penalize people for it. Combat pool has to be very carefully rationed when you've got 4 initiative dice and reaction near 20. It penalizes the defender equally, which I disagree with to an extent, but but can live with.

I like the suggestion of making initiative dependent on skill to an extent, but I don't entirely see the point -- since right now, counterattacking is all the person with low initiative can do.

Everything I can think of that would give the attacker an advantage, well, short of surprise, applies to the defender more so, from everything in my own experience. Unless you really are that much physically faster (not reaction or initiative), it's really hard to overwhelm someone. Nobody just stands there and lets you throw attack after attack (at least, nobody who's trying to win). They interrupt the flow of your attacks and try to turn the flow around.. because you don't win a fight by blocking and dodging. Exceptions exist, but they aren't common.
Hell Hound
I have always felt that Initiative must to some extent imply speed. Not running speed, since that has as much to do with limb strength as with how fast the limbs move, but how quickly you could throw a punch or kick, or draw a weapon, or any of the other physical actions you can perform in combat. Wired Reflexes changes how many physical actions you can perform in each combat round so it must influence your speed, if your limbs still move like your wading through mud then it won't matter how fast messages are transferred down the nervous system, your not going to get in extra moves.

I also don't think the game mechanic does penalise characters with low initiatives. Certainly counterattacking is all a character with low initiative can do in a melee, but that is all they need to do. A counterattack allows you to hit your opponent back, and there's no limitation on damage or how often you can counterattack. Both combatants have to split their combat pools up amongst all the attacks, thus advantage goes to the fighter with the biggest combat pool, regardless of their initiative. You are right that some fighting styles are reactive, they wait for the opponent to come to them, but even a practicioner of such an art should find themselves hard pressed when dealing with someone who is three times as quick as they are, and that's how fast Wires can make you.

I'm not saying counterattacks should be removed, far from it. I think the SR combat system is better than any other system I have played (which admittedly is not a hell of a lot). To be honest I rarely encounter this situation, the players I have GMed tend to just shoot people rather than get that close. But I would like to see even martial arts masters forced to think twice before taking on a halfway decent fighter with wired reflexes.
Dawnshadow
Someone going slow as mud doesn't get the same benefits from wired reflexes.. reaction, and therefore initiative score, is partially dependent on quickness after all.

Likewise, I don't see why it needs to increase the speed of someone's actions. I can see people reacting faster, see them launching attacks faster, but I don't see how speeding up the signals would make the body faster -- or why it should. A portion of the time taken is mental activity, another portion is lag time for signal transfer - those two get cut out. The twitchiness overrides the mental activity, the lag time is reduced directly. I don't think the combat turn (3 seconds) is so short that it requires superhuman speed to get multiple actions. I picture, especially in melee, a certain amount of feinting, give and take, and time spent not on the attack or defense. Someone with the initiative boosts, tends to launch more attacks -- they see the opening, they attack. They react too fast for the hesitation that leaves you missing legitimate openings. They don't, however, have any faster motion of hand or foot -- that's exactly like running speed.

Initiative boosts make sense in ranged combat, but in melee they're potentially a serious liability because of the combat pool issue. You can't attack someone 5 times and throw in max combat pool, or even close to max, in one combat turn.

Low initiative.. you can. But then you're screwed on the counterattack. The 'penalty' to low initiative people fighting high initiative people is based on them in theory never knowing how many counters they have to make-- they therefore can't judge how much combat pool they can use. Applies differently in different games.. ours, we can guess usually within an action, just by order of events. Not always -- and usually it's restricted to the high end. We can't judge if someone's got low initiative or not. Nobody has low enough to give a benchmark, unless injured. The slowest is 11+3d6.
Hell Hound
You can judge an opponents initiative fairly easily actually. If they act after you in the first initiative pass they are going to have the same or fewer actions than you, if they act before you they will have the same or more actions. Once the first combat round has passed, unless your opponent deliberately did nothing for their last one or two attacks you are going to have a very good idea how many moves your opponent has, and If you have fought that opponent before then you know before the fight even starts what you can expect (unless something has significantly changed their initiative).

I can see we are not going to agree on this issue, I feel that things like wired reflexes or improved reflexes (the adept power) should improve a characters physical speed in addition to improving nervous system response, and therefore should provide benefit in melee combat irregardless of combat pool or skill rating. You feel that wired reflexes is solely improvement of nervous system response and so should not be of any advantage in melee, and possibly be detrimental. I don't see anything changing our repsective points of view any time soon and to be honest we have kind of hijacked this forum from it's original purpose. It's probably time to let it rest.
Dawnshadow
Probably, Hell Hound. It has been interesting though.
sapphire_wyvern
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
QUOTE (Eldritch @ Apr 27 2005, 10:48 AM)
Mage a: "Grounding?  Whats that?"

We still use grounding in our games. But removing grounding doesn't make astral space any less dangerous for most mages...

Grounding would make an excellent metamagical technique, in my opinion.
Hell Hound
OK, time to try and make up for some of the space I've chewed up in my off topic discussion. Not that I didn't find it interesting as well Dawnshadow.

Shadowrun consists of a lot of sourcebooks that contain optional rules and large amounts of gear. Naturally the rules are pretty much history as a result of the changes being made for fourth edition but what about the gear? I doubt that all the cars, bikes, drones, helicopters, planes, boats, APCs, submarines, guns, knives, cyberware, bioware, nanoware, armour, electronics, alchemical radicals and every other little piece of equipment that has appeared in all the various SR sourcebooks is going to end up in the one main rulebook. I understand there is a new Magic sourcebook planned for 4th edition, so what about equipment? Are we going to see another edited reprint of the Street Samurai Weapons Catalogue and similar equipment books or will the main rulebook have rules for adjusting existing gear (like altering damage codes for weapons, if the damage system actually changes). At least some pieces of equipment are going to have to change, Smartlinks for example currently alter the target number for firearms tests but apparently SR4 is going to have a fixed target number.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012