Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ghost in the Shell 2
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
hermit
If you've read GitS and GitS: Man Machine Interface there are several passages that were removed that depict Matoka engaged in lesbian sex.

Erm ... I read both and can't remember any. Are you referring to these (admittedly odd, since ignores them and just continues her work) get-togethers with other women? There never was anything going on there ...

Also, in GitS SAC 2nd gig (episode 12, IIRC), she explicitly mentions being straight, or rtaher, that a certain guy "was the first guy she found attractive". She was 12 then.

Have you noticed that for the situations where they've relied on deep cover and face-to-face social legwork, Togusa has been their man?

Well, neither beardy nerd Ishikawa nor visible cyber eyes Bateau nor 'feelings? feelings are for losers' Motoko would last five seconds in a deep cover mission. After Togusa, I guess Bateau is least modified (and most human in behavior). Diverse missions ask for a diversified team, just as a shadowrunner team made up entirely of sammies wouldn't last long either. Not to mention what Motoko might consider social face-to-face legwork ... possibly would involve a lot of kicking and face-punching.
Vuron
In the original japanese version of GitS manga there was a 2 page depiction of Matoka engaged in a threeway with two other ladies. It was redrawn for the US version but you can probably find the images online.
Mr. Man
QUOTE (hermit)
If you've read GitS and GitS: Man Machine Interface there are several passages that were removed that depict Matoka engaged in lesbian sex.

Erm ... I read both and can't remember any. Are you referring to these (admittedly odd) get-togethers with other women? There nevwer was anything going on there ...

Also, in GitS SAC 2nd gig (episode 12, IIRC), she explicitly mentions being straight, or rtaher, that a certain guy "was the first guy she found attractive". She was 12 then.

1. The robo-orgies were removed from the english translations of the manga

2. GitS:SAC takes place in a separate universe from the manga which in turn takes place in a separate universe from the GitS films.

3. She's probably bi (at least in SAC).

hermit
1. The robo-orgies were removed from the english translations of the manga

I see. Should have thought so ... ah well. Hehe, now my friend will hate the translation ...

3. She's probably bi (at least in SAC).

... and now she will hate Motoko. ^_^
Kagetenshi
Given that Kusanagi has a boyfriend from the Rangers for a decent chunk of the first manga, she clearly bats for both teams.

~J
Arethusa
QUOTE (hermit)
Have you noticed that for the situations where they've relied on deep cover and face-to-face social legwork, Togusa has been their man?

Well, neither beardy nerd Ishikawa nor visible cyber eyes Bateau nor 'feelings? feelings are for losers' Motoko would last five seconds in a deep cover mission. After Togusa, I guess Bateau is least modified (and most human in behavior). Diverse missions ask for a diversified team, just as a shadowrunner team made up entirely of sammies wouldn't last long either. Not to mention what Motoko might consider social face-to-face legwork ... possibly would involve a lot of kicking and face-punching.

It's not that simple. Batou is a complete cyborg, just as Motoko. It's not like they lose their humanity every time body parts are swapped out. Each of the team members is an individual with very complex personal problems. There's no easy dichotomy that allows you to conveniently decree that augmentation makes you incapable of human interaction. Other team members, regardless of extreme augmentation, have shown varying capacities for it. Honestly, there is a rather unpleasant tendency for people on these boards to (1) assume dichotomy between social capacity and ability (usually in regards to augmentation in an obviously fictional capacity) and (2) to assume linearity of social ability (or other ability, for that matter). It just isn't like that, and the GitS movies and SAC, being extremely well written, reflect this.
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (hermit @ Apr 1 2005, 12:02 AM)
After Togusa, I guess Bateau is least modified (and most human in behavior). Diverse missions ask for a diversified team, just as a shadowrunner team made up entirely of sammies wouldn't last long either. Not to mention what Motoko might consider social face-to-face legwork ... possibly would involve a lot of kicking and face-punching.

Bateau is very modified, just not full borged (i think, though in the first film he say's he is). I think Paz and Ishikawa are the least enhanced after Togusa (Baring perhaps Aramaki) Can't say for certain as the book i've got is in Japanese...
Vuron
Batou isn't a full body borg but definitely hovers pretty high up there. Matoka is the only S9 full body borg and she's further saddled with the problem that she was converted at an extremely young age.

At least that seems to be the common consensus across the three media GitS currently resides.
Arethusa
He takes an M67 (or two) in the face and then explicitly states he is a complete cyborg in Innocence. Doesn't get much clearer than that. All indications in the first movie and SAC also point to that, as did the ad copy and trailers for Innocence.

[edit]

Also, as stated earlier and elsewhere in this thread, it is Motoko.
hermit
It's not that simple. Batou is a complete cyborg, just as Motoko. It's not like they lose their humanity every time body parts are swapped out. Each of the team members is an individual with very complex personal problems. There's no easy dichotomy that allows you to conveniently decree that augmentation makes you incapable of human interaction. Other team members, regardless of extreme augmentation, have shown varying capacities for it. Honestly, there is a rather unpleasant tendency for people on these boards to (1) assume dichotomy between social capacity and ability (usually in regards to augmentation in an obviously fictional capacity) and (2) to assume linearity of social ability (or other ability, for that matter). It just isn't like that, and the GitS movies and SAC, being extremely well written, reflect this.

Yeah, of course the characters are more than I said. Bateau has his wartime memories haunting him, and lots of other stuff I don't know yet because I have yet to watch innocence; Motoko had a REALLY harsh childhood and propably has a host of problems we will never know about because she makes the ice queen look like an easy-going hippy. I can't say as much off the top of my hat about Ishikawa, Boma and Paz, but I'd guess they have a decent background too. I wasn't assuming this.

However, I DO think that higher degree of augmentation leads to loss of social abilities. That goes double for Motoko (losing her family AND her body at the same time and growing up entirely in hospitals). Also, the knowledge you're physically far superior to normal people distances you from them. Additionally, there's the whole issue with tons of chips in your head, which HAS to influence brain chemistry in some way. It's not linear, sure, other factors (like the above mentioned Motoko childhood traumata) play a role too, but there IS a decline regardless.

Also, as stated earlier and elsewhere in this thred, it is Motoko

Yes. This is a Japanese comic, not an Arabic.
Vuron
Yeah but as multiple people have said the movies take place in a slightly different reality from the manga and the tv show.
Kagetenshi
Edit: read, then post.

~J
Vuron
QUOTE (Arethusa)
He takes an M67 (or two) in the face and then explicitly states he is a complete cyborg in Innocence. Doesn't get much clearer than that. All indications in the first movie and SAC also point to that, as did the ad copy and trailers for Innocence.

[edit]

Also, as stated earlier and elsewhere in this thread, it is Motoko.

In some realities she is Matoko Kusanagi until she joins Poseidon Industrial and takes the name Motoko Aramaki.

Besides Manga came first so it should be treated as definitive biggrin.gif
hermit
Hmmm. Movie one says (on MegaTech) that "the major, and parts of the chief and Bateau, were produced by Megatech" ... so Is Bateau more of a piece-by-pice cyborg (like your average shadowrunner), unlike full-body cyborg Motoko?
Shockwave_IIc
Not seen Innocence yet (my copy should be at the shop) so i can't comment on that.

I know in Gits one it's definatley suggested, but in SAC you see him pressing weights (well not weights per se) if Full borg why do that? Though he is very augmented as the little comic strip in the first manga, about his arm strangth needing to matched to the shoulder strength.

Nothing to say he's compltely borged though (that i remember). (Think cyber limbs matanice from M&M)
Arethusa
QUOTE (hermit @ Mar 31 2005, 07:40 PM)

Yeah, of course the characters are more than I said. Bateau has his wartime memories haunting him, and lots of other stuff I don't know yet because I have yet to watch innocence; Motoko had a REALLY harsh childhood and propably has a host of problems we will never know about because she makes the ice queen look like an easy-going hippy. I can't say as much off the top of my hat about Ishikawa, Boma and Paz, but I'd guess they have a decent background too. I wasn't assuming this.

However, I DO think that higher degree of augmentation leads to loss of social abilities. That goes double for Motoko (losing her family AND her body at the same time and growing up entirely in hospitals). Also, the knowledge you're physically far superior to normal people distances you from them. Additionally, there's the whole issue with tons of chips in your head, which HAS to influence brain chemistry in some way. It's not linear, sure, other factors (like the above mentioned Motoko childhood traumata) play a role too, but there IS a decline regardless.

It isn't direct, though. It's an issue of environment, experience, and ability impacting your mindset/paradigm/whatever. That's very different from saying flat out that augmentation categorically leads to loss of social ability, which leads you down a very dangerous path.

As for chips in your head affecting brain chemistry, this damnds that you (1) buy into biopsych completely without looking back and (2) that you forget that there aren't chips in your head so much as very large sections of brain removed and replaced by cyberbrains with neural matrices, which, in a sense, would seem to necessitate a complete removal of the concept of brain chemistry.

There's nothing you can really say that is going to predictably or obviously (or at all) impact social capacity. Hell, just about everyone gets this to some degree or another in all iterations of GitS— even Togusa. It is often made clear that what sets Togusa apart in his lack of augmentation is not that he isn't augmented but that his minimal augmentation, in his case, has had an impact on his world views/mentalities/paradigms/etc. In fact, just about everything GitS conveniently avoids if-augmented-then-antisocial causality, and only draws loose correlation (and, as well all know, causation !=... oh, hell, nevermind).

QUOTE (Shockwave_IIc)
Not seen Innocence yet (my copy should be at the shop) so i can't comment on that.

I know in Gits one it's definatley suggested, but in SAC you see him pressing weights (well not weights per se) if Full borg why do that? Though he is very augmented as the little comic strip in the first manga, about his arm strangth needing to matched to the shoulder strength.

Nothing to say he's compltely borged though (that i remember). (Think cyber limbs matanice from M&M)

Erm, it is a very significant theme in the series (especially at the end of the first season) that bodybuilding equipment, like Motoko's watch, are unnecessary effects of their past lives. I'll spare overanalysis of a theme I found in execution to be very beautiful, but suffice it to say that the equipment is completely nonfunctional for him. Aside from parts of his brain and spinal cord, he is completely cybernetic.
Kagetenshi
If you remember, Kusanagi does say that he's wasting his time and money on the exercise gear.

~J
Slacker
edit: Too slow. Kage beat me to it.
Shockwave_IIc
Ah bollocks to it gonna sit here and watch SAC again while looking into stats for a Cyber Pocket Sec
mfb
heh. the Major's sexual preferences are a complex subject, especially after ep 17 of 2nd Gig (what the hell is wrong with the youth of the future, anyway?)

Bateau is the second-most heavily-modified member of the team. he's not a full cyborg, like the major, but he almost might as well be. it never says exactly how much modification the rest of the team has, though it does say that Saito is very lightly cybered compared to most of the rest.

QUOTE (Arethusa)
It just isn't like that, and the GitS movies and SAC, being extremely well written, reflect this.
i think it's fair to say, though, that it becomes more difficult to maintain one's humanity when one's body is replaced with cybernetics, at least in the GitS universe. the Major struggles with this constantly; most of the rest of the team is resigned to the fact that their augmentation comes at a price--a price that's difficult to pin down or define, and one that much of the world might not even notice is being paid, but a price.
Arethusa
I'll allow that it possibly presents some very complex questions and obstacles in maintaining one's humanity, but I feel that saying that myopically jumps past the far more pressing issue of reaching an actual definition for humanity. Issues of humanity, identity, and existence— ironically, very human issues— are at the core of GitS, and it's GitS's unwillingness to come to any convenient answers or to indeed present and clearly defined problems that gives it its beauty and very human resonance.
mfb
agreed.

of course, the other part of GitS's charm is oh my god the Major just beat an attack helicopter in a game of tug-of-war.
Fortune
QUOTE (hermit)
Go away, anime! That's all I have to say.

Fine, you said your piece. Now you can go and leave us to continue discussing Shirow manga and anime.

He does have a point, seeing as this is specifically a Shadowrun forum, and very few of the posts in this thread actually have anything to do with Shadowrun.

Personally, I don't care one way or the other, but the Admins are usually pretty strict about off-topic threads, especially since the closing of the Lounge.
mfb
eh. that guy was more talking about ridding SR of anime influences. which i sorta agree with: i don't want SR to have an anime 'feel' (i'm not going to try to define that). that doesn't mean, however, that i'll automatically reject any influence simply because its source happened to be from anime.
Arethusa
I think I'd take disagreement as lumping GitS in with 'that anime feel,' or, more accurately (and I think more what you're getting at), those anime cliches. In a sense, SR already has too many cliches from other sources. That's not to say that I think SR should become GitS (as I noted at the start of this thread), but to start whining because It's Anime! or It's DnD! is puerile, obnoxious, and altogether unwelcome here— at least, I damn well hope so.

As for being OT... Well, we all know how I feel about the closing (and continued adamant refusal of reopening or even openly discussing said closing and adamant refusal of reopening) of the lounge.
Kagetenshi
More to the point, I think a lot of the issues we're discussing are directly applicable to Shadowrun.

Well, maybe not back when we were discussing the continuity of Fuchikoma and Togusa, but the issues we're currently focusing on are more than apropos.

~J
mfb
yeah. the exclusion of the typical anime-esque conventions are probably a big part of why i like GitS so much. i mean, i like a lot of anime, but i like it for different reasons than i like GitS.
Siege
There's also the military perspective on the benefits of a semi-automatic pistol versus the drawbacks of a revolver.

The Major is the voice of military operations while Togusa represents the civilian (cop) perspective on weapons.

-Siege

Edit: And as the power escalation in CP:2020 demonstrated, when you have a tendency to run into full borgs or near-borgs, you want to carry firepower capable of making them take notice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012