Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Now that is April Fools
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
lord_cack
Now thats a great april fools joke.. Better than last year. Congrats biggrin.gif
Shockwave_IIc
Except for the fact it's completely unbelivable.

lord_cack
Its not so much that is believeable, cause its clearly not, its just a very nice response to those who kept on saying "This has got to be an April Fools." right up till the end. I mean come on, everyone knew they were gonna do something today, I just like what they did.
Kagetenshi
It isn't better than last year. It isn't even funny. It seems to come more from annoyance than from humor.

~J
torzzzzz
oooo almost for a second i was fooled then i saw the new forum for it an knew it had to be fake...... but it could be a double bluff and they are going to skip out SR4 altogether and go straight on to SR5??

hehehehhe

torz x biggrin.gif spin.gif spin.gif spin.gif spin.gif
Demosthenes
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
It isn't better than last year. It isn't even funny. It seems to come more from annoyance than from humor.

~J

I can't imagine why they might be annoyed... sarcastic.gif
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

I honestly don't blame them. Criticism is a good thing, but constant attacks despite reassurances and constant statements of "you haven't even seen what we've done yet" tends to provoke people.

Most of the posts I see here are really unbelievable to me to the point of literally boggling my mind.
RangerJoe
Humor is kind of like rock'n'roll. In the same way you can tell that a song is rock, or that a song isn't rock, just by listening to it, you can tell if a joke/April Fool's Day gag is funny just by reading it.

Am I the only one who feels a little bit saturated with new Shadowrun edition jokes? Before all of the SR4 angst exploded, an SR4 April Fool's joke would have been funny (hell, it was funny...last year). Now an SR5 joke just seems a little tired. A little, eh? what? meh.

Now, an April Fool's gag about SR4 (for example, that its planned to only release it to Gamecube, as per Microsoft's reserved rights, and never to any other console/system), that would be a funny joke.

I can understand if the good folks at Fanpro/Wizkids are busy though. I can dig it.

/tired of the angst. Raise your hand if you just wants to play some SR4...
moosegod
Some parts were good, but I kinda liked last years.

... after my cyberheart restarted, that's is.
apollo124
QUOTE (RangerJoe)

I can understand if the good folks at Fanpro/Wizkids are busy though. I can dig it.

/tired of the angst. Raise your hand if you just wants to play some SR4...

One hand raising here! biggrin.gif
Nikoli
See, a good April fool sjoke would have been to announce that the previous SR4 annoucement was a gag, when it wasn't
Zolhex
Oh this is just great I am really getting pissed off at this BS first they expect me to go out and buy SR4 in Aug.

Now they make this announcement that after one month I will have to stop playing SR4 or lose my life and go out and pay another 150 bucks for SR5.

Look I'm all for a new edition but 2 new editions over the time span of one month that is it if they really do this I'm done no more Shadowrun for me.

I think everyone here should follow my example and do the same exact thing.

Oh by the way for those of you who seem to go through life believing everything everyone tells you then you should now that this rant is a joke meant to be funny in light of all the BS people seen to be yelling out over SR4.

Have a nice day oh and yes last years April fools was better.

Then again anything to fancy this year may have gone over way worse than the news about the reality of SR4 so that is why I think they went with something a little less involved

It was still a little funny in my opinion good job and hats off to Rob and to all involved in SR4 just make us the best product you can please.
Grimtooth
I guess they finally came to their senses and jumped on the OGL thingy. Now every fan boy out there can integrate. Not only will you be able to play a cybered out street sam you'll be able to throw him up against the constructs from Eberon.

Genius....
Pure Genius...

wobble.gif

Too bad it didn't say SR4 instead SR5 as being the April fool's joke
Grimtooth
not to mention the fact that at $150 it is a steal...compared to the ridiculous prices you would have to pay if you wanted an SR3 hardback.
GrinderTheTroll
I would have been more fooled had they annouced simply that SR4 would be d20 and included all the other setup they had.
Skeptical Clown
Whether or not annoyance is understandable, it's not particularly professional.
Ol' Scratch
I just think it's amusing that the people most insulted by it are the people it's targeted at by and large (ie, those that have been muttering about various aspects of the game despite reassurances). smile.gif
Skeptical Clown
I'm not insulted. Just a tad disappointed. There's been very little information, so the only real reassurance has been "We know what we're doing, quit whining."
Eldritch
Still irritated at SR$.

Not insulted by the joke. It was mildly amusing at best.

But yeah, it does seem to be a poke at those of us that are not happy with SR$. Which, yeah - not very professional)

I can take it.

They obviously have a problem with criticism.

Pthgar
Well for critism to be valid, there has to be some material to critisize. We don't even have that yet. So maybe it's not critisism they can't handle but unfounded accusations.

Besides, we can get all in their face on these forums but they're not allowed one little return salvo once a year?
mfb
haha, yeah. those damn money-grubbers at wizkid$. all the freelancers i know are loaded.

i doubt it's that they have a problem with criticism. if Rob had a problem with criticism, he wouldn't still be doing SR. i think it's perfectly okay for them to have a problem with your criticism, though, Eldritch, since you've come out and plainly stated that you're mad at them for things that you completely made up. that's like when my mom gets mad at my dad for something he did in one of her dreams.
Ecclesiastes
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Apr 1 2005, 06:09 AM)

I honestly don't blame them. Criticism is a good thing, but constant attacks despite reassurances and constant statements of "you haven't even seen what we've done yet" tends to provoke people.

Most of the posts I see here are really unbelievable to me to the point of literally boggling my mind.

Amen brother! Preach it!
Skeptical Clown
There is information available: we have the scant details provided, which promise fairly significant changes, and we have FanPro's track record. It's incomplete information, but it's enough floating about for questioning minds to formulate ideas. So while there may be a lot of silly complaints and accusations floating about, I can't muster that much sympathy for FanPro--they're the ones running a business here.

It would be one thing if there was some sort of dialogue going on. But to paraphrase someone else, the entries on the Shadowrun official page read more like message board posts than official news. Making official updates in a state of pique, even as a joke, seems a bit unprofessional. But that's just my opinion.
Grimtooth
Fictionally overheard at the developers table:

"Ok you guys start writing. I'll go find out what the users want."

eek.gif

That's how i run all my projects. grinbig.gif
mfb
there's a difference between questioning developments and sinking into a psychosis-induced fantasy world. questioning developments is fine; it shows interest, it sparks ideas, it promotes good change. fantasizing about what FanPro might be doing, and then getting mad at them for what happened in your daydream--which is 90% of the complaints i've seen here--is not only unproductive, it's unhealthy.
Pthgar
The amount of info being made available (or not available as the case may be) has been attributed to SR4 not being totally finished yet. To prematurely criticize would be as mistaken as to prematurely endorse. Stating fears, desires, past practices are all understandable but criticism is not warrented, yet.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Skeptical Clown)
I'm not insulted. Just a tad disappointed. There's been very little information, so the only real reassurance has been "We know what we're doing, quit whining."

Well, to be fair, we have tried to reassure you that we're fans and that we're not trying to fuck up our favorite game, which has in turn been greeted with words to the effect of, "Well, you're not us, so you can't possibly be doing things right." It wasn't until the third or fourth time that the word "whining" entered into the discussion.

We're not asking you to grant us sainthood or anything, but we are asking for the benefit of the doubt, and to judge the quality, or lack thereof, of SR4 when the book is actually out. Personally, I don't think that's much.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Eldritch @ Apr 1 2005, 02:02 PM)
Still irritated at SR$.

Which is your right.
But yeah, it does seem to be a poke at those of us that are not happy with SR$.  Which, yeah - not very professional)

Let me get this straight: You can vent and complain about the new edition and say (collectively, as a group, not necessarily you in particular) that we're all a bunch of idiots without the good sense God gave a bowling ball, but we're supposed to just sit back and take it and not respond in any way?

That's not professionalism, that's masochism. There's a difference.
I can take it.

Your response says otherwise. At least the April Fool's joke was good-natured ribbing and not out-and-out insults, which many of the writers and playtesters have been heaped with since the announcement at GTS.
They obviously have a problem with criticism.

Well, no. I can take criticism, as long as it's civil and not obnoxious. I know that Rob can take it, because I've provided plenty of it since I started working with him lo these many years ago. I've unloaded plenty of it on him recently, because I don't agree with everything he's doing and I've let him know about it. He's fine with it. Most of the other freelancers it's been my privilege to work with are the same way, and most of them have taken some critical blasts from me in the past.

There's a world of difference between criticism and insults. There's been some genuinely concerned criticism voiced here, but there's also been a buttload of outright insults. The criticism we can stand, it's part of the job description, but the insults don't have to be suffered gladly.
Solstice
Pretty poor attempt at a humerous response to the SR4 dust-up. If they wan't all the nerotic fans to shut up and go away they should give out more information and put it to rest. Simple as that. dead.gif
Adam
And we are releasing more information as it's appropriate and time allows -- that's the point of the devblog.
GrinderTheTroll
That settles it.

I am now spelling all product names with the ever-so-witty "$" in place of the S!!1!!11
ohplease.gif
Ecclesiastes
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman)
We're not asking you to grant us sainthood or anything, but we are asking for the benefit of the doubt, and to judge the quality, or lack thereof, of SR4 when the book is actually out. Personally, I don't think that's much.

Sure it is. Shadowrun SUCKS. Thats why I play it all the time and spend so much time here. You guys obviously made a horrible product.
Solstice
QUOTE (Adam)
And we are releasing more information as it's appropriate and time allows -- that's the point of the devblog.

And we appreciate and understand it. However, it's like telling a child with ADHD that you just bought them the best present ever but they can't have it and your not going to say anything about it. Of course there will be some negative reaction. For one, we don't take our Ritalin.
Solstice
QUOTE (Ecclesiastes)
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Apr 1 2005, 01:02 PM)

Sure it is. Shadowrun SUCKS. Thats why I play it all the time and spend so much time here. You guys obviously made a horrible product.

i don't think "they" (who is they anyway?) actually made SR. It was created by FASA and I believe SR3 was done by FASA also...so this is a bit of uncharted territory isn't it?
mfb
yes. the "nerotic" fans might consider--and probably would, if not for their nerosis!--the fact that there might not be anything more to put out. this stuff is in playtesting. the devs could, if they were suicidally stupid, post everything they're working on for everyone to see. that would be almost guaranteed to drive away everyone.

see, when you're developing something, what you do is, you stick your finger down your throat and puke up every idea you've ever had. most of what comes out is going to be half-digested crap that nobody wants to see in their game, which you then pick through piece by piece until you find the good stuff. post that on the devblog, and all of the sudden all of your fans will be screaming at you (even more) about how you're ruining their game--even though 90% of what you come up with isn't going to be in the game at all. moreover, the few people who did like this piece or that piece that you ended up discarding are going to be in your face about how you "lied" to them. "it's right there in the devblog", they'll tell you.

so, yeah. better to keep your blog shut and have everybody think you suck, than to post to it too often and confirm it beyond all doubt.
Adam
This is the first time that FanPro LLC has created a new edition of a RPG, but the team working on it hardly lacks experience: Rob worked at FASA for years, including on SR3 and as the Assistant SR Line Developer; Michelle Lyons worked at FASA, has edited nearly every FanPro SR release, and now works at WotC as an editor; Christian Lonsing has been the German SR developer for several years now; Dan Grendell worked with FASA; Elissa Carey, Jon Szeto, and myself are all relatively well-known SR freelancers, and I've done a fair amount of game industry work for other publishers, too.

For most of the people working directly on SR4, this isn't just a hobby, we aren't just fans -- this is how we make our living.
Synner
QUOTE (Solstice @ Apr 1 2005, 10:15 PM)
i don't think "they" (who is they anyway?) actually made SR. It was created by FASA and I believe SR3 was done by FASA also...so this is a bit of uncharted territory isn't it?

Actually "some" of them did. Maybe most of "them" didn't, but that's besides the point - everyone now has 3+ years of FanPro original material - everything after Survival of the Fittest onward to use as a benchmark.

If you didn't like SOTA63, DotSW, SSG, SoE, MrJLBB, SOTA64 then you might have a valid gripe with the way things are probably going to go (and there are plenty of skepticals out there).

If on the other hand you like some or all of those (and several others during the latter FASA period) you should give these people the benefit of the doubt - at least until you know more.
mfb
if you call that living!
Ecclesiastes
I don't understand why I found that so funny, but I did.
mfb
no one ever does.
Solstice
No I wasn't griping at all merely stating a point. I think nearly everything that has been put out by Fanpro has been great and I know alot of the writers post on here.

WE DO APPRECIATE IT!!!

I think I speak for most of the fans when I say that we know you will do what you think is right and the result will probably be a great new version but I doubt many of us can help but feel the tiniest bit apprehensive when things start getting changed extensively, no matter who is doing it.
mfb
sure. nothing wrong with that. i feel the same way, with some of the rumors floating around. it's when people start randomly spouting about how SR$ is going to suck because of X, when X is something that they fabricated, that it gets annoying.
Eldritch
Ok, first of all I don't believe I've insulted anyone outright. If I have, I apologize - that wasn't my intent.

Second; to the best of my knowledge I have not made anything up:

Fanpro is Coming out with Sr4. They are changing the core rules. They are changing Decking tohackin, combing with rigging, etc. They are upping the timeline. Blah, blah.

The primary reason for this is money.

Correct?

Now, you see a lot of my cynicism comes from expierence. My other favorite game went to 4th edition a couple years back. The developers and writers were all long time players of the game and claimed a great deal of love for the system and setting. (Where have I been hearing that recently and repeatedly?)

And they royally F'd it up. Changed quite a bit of the core rules and completely rewrote the Magic system. And hey, I'll even go so far as to say their stuff was good. But the rules changes were unnecessary. And the new magic system did not fit the setting. The new rule book was poorly organized, and huge.

So yeah, I am concerned. I have that right. I can't do squat about it excpet post here and hope the devs are listening and change as little as possible.

Do I trust you guys to properly take care of Shadowrun? No, I don't know you guys - or your playing habits.

If Fanpro want's to impress anyone, then pick 30 or so players and form a 'test group'. Set up private forums, have them sign NDA's. Give them the data and let them toss it around a bit. Se what filters out. I'm not saying let this group decide anything. But they may see something that you guys aren't. You might be suprised.

Whatever - you guys/fanpro will do what you want.
mfb
QUOTE (Eldritch)
How? I don't Know, as in a fact - I know is in a guess.

QUOTE (Eldtritch)
Where do I get off assuming?

I'm allowed to assume all I want.

this is what you said, in regards to SR4 being purely about money. even you admit that you're leaping to conclusions and have no evidence of any sort that what you're saying is true. yet you persist in being angry at the devs for these sins that you lay at their feet--these sins, which came from your head. that's what the kids call "making stuff up".

sure, it's a free Intarwebb. you have the right to think and say just about anything you want. and everybody else is perfectly within their rights to think you're being a jerk, and call you on it. and! make fun of you for it, as they see fit.
Critias
Holy crap, a gaming company might be out to not only create a fantastic product, but to do so for financial reasons as part of their motivation?!

What's the world coming to! Quick, everyone! Put on your righteus indignation faces, and shake your fists in the air!
Synner
QUOTE (Eldritch @ Apr 2 2005, 06:13 AM)
If Fanpro want's to impress anyone, then pick 30 or so players and form a 'test group'.  Set up private forums, have them sign NDA's.  Give them the data and let them toss it around a bit.  Se what filters out.    I'm not saying let this group decide anything.  But they may see something that you guys aren't. You might be suprised.

Oh! That makes sense. You mean something like the now-10+ playtesting groups of SR fans and gamers who have been doing just that for upwards of 6 months? Or would it have to be specifically faces from Dumpshock to ease your mind? (In which case, FanPro's got those too).

People can criticize the new rules, people can criticize the writing, people can criticize the look and artwork - but right now not enough has been said for any criticism to stand and what has is open to various interpretations. As someone said above everyone's free to post their criticism, but that doesn't make it a right, informed or correct opinion. And for every intelligent and well-thought out contribution that's been posted (an there have been a few), what we've been seeing is a whole lot of uninformed knee-jerk negative venting.

If you think of this as this year's double-sized issue of SOTA it makes even the financial aspect arguable.

But as for financial gain, what about it? Someone (Vuron?) just linked to a state-of-the-industry report which placed FanPro as the 5th game developer and actually said that Shadowrun 4 would likely allow FanPro to jump a few notches up the ranking. A company wants to turn a profit, streamline a game system to bring in new fans and bring back old, and bring the setting up to speed in places where it's dropped behind SOTA... and this is a bad thing?

I find it quite telling that despite the fuss being made by some people on DSF, the reaction on other forums (specifically non-SR forums) has been overwhelmingly positive.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Critias)

What's the world coming to! Quick, everyone! Put on your righteus indignation faces, and shake your fists in the air!

* shakes fist in air!*

Oh, wait that's right, I WANT a better system. oops

NM guys, keep working
Bull
4th edition is all about the money. Heh. Right.

Look, I'll put it in simple terms for you. MOney is definately a factor. FanPro is a business, and if we want them to continue to create Shadowrun products, you better thank god that they want to actually make some money. Because the day they stop is the day Shadowrun goes away for good.

Why Shadowrun 4?

1) Tech Curve.

Fact is, Shadorun is, in many areas, behind the Technology Curve present in 2005, let alone what would and could be present in 206X. It's something that FASA wanted to correct, and began with robots and certain wireless stuff in SR3, and FanPro continued. However, you can't just have Tech "jump". Shadowrun's always been a living world, evolving slowly in "real time", for the most part. So additions had to be added just as slowly.

Wireless is a fact of life now. Wireless should be a fact of life in Shadowrun. Many, many players, especially newer players, didn't understand why there wasn't much in the way of wireless. Hell, my players still snicker when they buy a "Cellular Phone" at Chargen. So a time jump was necessary to adjust the tech curve. As was the way a number of things in Shadowrun worked, especially the Matrix.

With the amount of changes necessary, it makes sense to do a new edition.

So why change the rules, you ask?

2) Bring in new fans.

No, this isn't about money. It's about growth, expansion, and maintaining interest. A fact that you may not realize is that SHadowrun loses players almost daily. People lose interest as they get older, get jobs, families, and other hobbies. They may still be interested in Shadowrun, but they don't play. And if they don't play, they rarely buy books.

Back about a year or two before SR3 was released, we had a ton of people avidly playing SHadowrun. Comic Heaven, our local Game and Comic shop, regularly ordered 6-10 copies of every new SR product, and it would sell out within 2 weeks of release. We had a half dozen local GMs and as many groups.

Now, I don't know anyone that regularly plays SR. Even I don't play much anymore. The closest we've come in over a year is a handful of playtests for SR4, 3 sessions I ran trying to get a game going again but failed, and now we're bastardizing the core SR3 rules for a converted non-D20 Modern/Urban Arcana game.

And Shadworun doesn't attract a lot of new players. FASA's demise, the 6 month's of down time between FASA and FanPro, the year or more of retailer ignorance that Shadowrun was still being produced, FanPro's own sporadic schedule, and lack of support from a couple of distributor partnerships so far have all helped keep Shadowrun out of the limelight, so newcomers to the gaming hobby don't hear much about the game.

Then add in the fact that there are a lot of people out there that don't like the Shadowrun system. A LOT of people. Go hit RPG.net, or any of a dozen other general gaming forums, and ask for opinions about SR. The majority of people that have given SR a chance like the setting, but hate the system.

I like the system, but I know there are tons of flaws and inconsistancies. YOu guys love the game, but constantly bitch, complain, and argue here about the rules. So obviously they're not perfect. Trust me, I don't want to see the ruleset go away, but that has a lot to do with the fact I like the complexity and I know it backwards and forwards. I'm old and grumpy and hate change.

But, Shadowrun can't grow without this change. It's stagnating badly now. It's not drawing in enough new players to compensate for the ones it's losing, let alone grow.

And that's it, in a nutshell.

Yes, FanPro's gonna lose people with this change. That's a given. There were people that didn;t move from SR1 to SR2. there were people that didn;t move to SR3. Some are still playing older editions happily, many moved on to other games. That's the way this industry works.

But there are a lot of poeple whoa re taking notice of Shadowrun right now, that haven't given it a second look in years. There are a lot of people who see the phrase "streamlined, simplified rules" and are excited by it.

And yeah, FanPro's only giving out tidbits. That's pretty much how the industry works as well. It's a lot like the trailer to a movie... They show you a little to peak your interest, but they don't show you the whole plot (usually).

Gen Con is over 4 months away. Rob and Adam and crew will be posting more information during that time. So patience, on that front.

<shrug>

I don't know what else to say, and I don't think anyone else involved does either. Mostly because I don't think there is anything else to say. If anyone's not happy with the way things are, well... I'm personally sorry. But you can't please everyone.

Be patient. Be understanding. Try to be a little bit trusting. And worse comes to worse, keep playing SR3. Even if there are no "official" conversion info, there will be numerous fan created conversion guides, I'm sure. And world source material isn't really made obsolete, as they're usually very rules light or rules free.

Bull
Critias
Why are you guys still trying, really? Some of us aren't morons, and we don't need it all explained to us like kindergartners. The rest have already made up their mind that "SR$" (heh) is a horrible idea, that it's nothing but a money grab aimed specifically to take away their pot cash, that it's going to ruin their most favoritest game ever, that it makes baby Jesus cry, that it's the reason the Pope is sick, and that it's going to be printed on the last sheets of paper made from the only remaining wood pulp produced from the now depleted rain-forest. They're going to whine and wail and gnash their teeth for four more months, then they're gonna grudgingly pony up for a copy of "SR$" after Gencon -- and then they're gonna read through it looking for things to hate, because no one on the internet ever goes back on an opinion (even one based solely on the voices in their head, like everyone's current beefs with their own imagined version of "SR$").

Some of us are willing to give it a chance, some of us aren't. Don't waste your time, playtesters and dev-team, explaining yourself or trying to justify your actions or seeking some sort of validation from the naysayers. It won't work, and they aren't worth it anyways. Worry about developing the most kickass, sleek, sexy-ass version of Shadowrun ever, instead.
Bull
It's that silly part deep inside of me that likes to know the why of everything. And I sometimes foolishly assume that if things are explained simply and fully, that everyone will understand.

I know. I'm a masochistic idiot. What can I say? smile.gif

To be honest, though, I know where some of these guys are coming from. I wasn't joking when I said I don't like change. Rob mentioned SR4 at Origins last year.

My first response was "Tell me it's not D20, or I'm coming over the table at you." I was joking, of course, since I knew that Rob had no interest in D20, but still...

Me second was "Why change?"

I love SR3. As a buddy used to say, "SR3 is the cadillac of RPG's". It's not perfect, but everytime I start thinking of how I want to design a game, or I think about how to imporve a game, I usually come up with something mimicing how SR handles things.

But change is often necessary. And while I wasn't really all for the idea initially, I understood the reasoning behind it.

Hoepfully eventually all the SR fans will too.

Bull
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012