Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pools and what will replace them
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb)
i don't think it should be a simple karma progression. the best way, probably, would be to simply average all your stats (it helps with everything, therefore its source should be as wide as possible). that would reward high-stat characters without unduly punishing low-stat characters, plus it's easy to track.

If you get Attribute # of dice per task anyway this might be overloading Attribute weight, no?
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (blakkie)
If you get Attribute # of dice per task anyway this might be overloading Attribute weight, no?

Not by a very large margin, though. You're going to be paying out of your ass to increase such a pool even by 1. Basically, it guarantees that most people have a useful amount of the pool while not having that number be arbitrary and unchangeable. And yeah, I agree with you that diminishing returns would be a must.

But, again, everything totally depends on the exact mechanics that make it into the finished product. I was only really curious about the opinions of the few who went on record to state that they think KP should cover most of the tasks formerly covered by other pools.
mfb
hm. actually, now that i think about it, i don't think i want an elven lesbian's 12 Cha adding to their ability to make a shot with a pistol. scratch that idea.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (mfb)
actually, now that i think about it, i don't think i want an elven lesbian's 12 Cha adding to their ability to make a shot with a pistol.

Well, hey, the "experience" she gains from using that charisma, and then puts into improving her charisma even more, would add to her shooting ability anyway.
mfb
you mean... wait, huh? i'm talking about scrapping my idea for averaging all the attributes to create a single pool.
Austere Emancipator
Assuming you still allowed Good Karma gained to add to your Karma Pool, and that Karma Pool would then be used for All Your (SR3-type) Dice Pool Needs™, then even Karma she's gained through her use of social skills (e.g. a run where she's done nothing but talking to/seducing/sleeping with people), and that she's spent on improving those social skills or Charisma, would allow her to perform better in combat.
Aristotle
In either case a rule, like the one from SR3, limiting the number of Karma Pool used to the skill level of the skill being used (or some similar limitation) would ensure that folks with tons of charisma earned karma wouldn't be using it to shoot people down unrealistically.

Let the Karma Pool, or Task Pool, accumulation be independent of how it is earned or what attributes the character relies on, and allow the character's skill determine how well the character can use that skill tactically.

This ties into the argument about high attributes and low skills too. Sure a character with an Agility of 6 and a Guns skill of 1 has 7 dice just like a character with an Agility of 3 and a Guns skill of 4 ... But the guy with the Gun skill of 4 can use 4 pool dice while the other guy can only use 1. Of course my example is pretty simplistic, but something *hand wave* similar to that would be cool with me.
Ol' Scratch
How about the idea of just not bothering with "dice pools" by terminology, and instead using a linked attribute as one. Thus your Charisma score can be used as a dice pool for any Social Skill Test you make, Strength for Melee Combat Skills, Quickness for Ranged Combat Skills, and so on and so forth. Same goes for using them in resistance tests the same way (assuming you use something other than raw Attributes for resistance tests, which is something I would definitely had added to the game if I were rebuilding it from scratch).

So while that Elf with Charisma 9 might be a dynamo at Social Skills, the Dwarf with Willpower 7 is still going to be a bitch to sway with any of them (since he'd get to use his Willpower as a pool to resist the Elf's Charisma-pooled influence).

Then, on top of that, having an "actual" dice pool -- in the form of a Karma Pool -- that could be used for all the miscellanous actions we're used to.

It's still tactical, it now directly uses Attributes in all actions you perform (as opposed to now), and it's pretty straight-forward and self-balancing to a degree.
Austere Emancipator
What pool (apart from KP) would stand in for Combat Pool in the Dodge Test-equivalent in that case? If it were an attribute pool (for example QUI or INT Pool), then you'd run into the trouble of someone using a weapon not linked to the Dodge Test-equivalent Pool Attribute having a lot more dice to throw around per Combat Turn.

For example, if the Dodge Test-equivalent used the QUI Pool, then characters using launch weapons could use up their INT Pool for offense while still maintaining their QUI Pool for defense. Similarly someone using thrown weapons could use their STR Pool for offense. Meanwhile someone using conventional small arms would have to split his QUI Pool for both offense and defense.
Aristotle
The other thing to keep in mind here is the size of the rolls. If your average runner has an attribute of 4 and a skill of 6 in his prefered weapon, that would be 10 dice. If cyberware, conditions, gear, and whatever else have the ability to add dice we could be looking at 12 or 13 dice under conditions of optimal use. While I want the tactical feel of dice pools, I'd also like to keep the number of dice I'm rolling somewhat sane.

Of course this assumes a lot. We have no idea what will add or subtract dice at this point. It's very possible, maybe even likely, that the number of conditional modifiers for lighting, terrain, movement, and so forth will be slimmed down a bit.

I dunno. I think I'm back to 'wait and see' again.
mfb
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
Assuming you still allowed Good Karma gained to add to your Karma Pool, and that Karma Pool would then be used for All Your (SR3-type) Dice Pool Needs™...

oh. yeah, i forgot that i hadn't weighed in on that idea. i'm not comfortable with it; i think the karma pool could be used in much better ways than that.
Pthgar
Also don't forget that a "good" amount of dice to roll for SR3 is about 6, the skill level. That is way above average for skills. Now, in SR4 the roll for an average person would be 6. The number of dice average people roll just went way up. I have know idea how that effects the game, but I'm sure they're working on it.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
What pool (apart from KP) would stand in for Combat Pool in the Dodge Test-equivalent in that case? If it were an attribute pool (for example QUI or INT Pool), then you'd run into the trouble of someone using a weapon not linked to the Dodge Test-equivalent Pool Attribute having a lot more dice to throw around per Combat Turn.

I'm assuming the other mechanics would revolve around the base mechanic, not the other way around. So dodging, if still used at all (I'll be surprised if so many opposed tests will remain in a "streamlined" system), would probably function like any other skill test. Something like a flat TN, modified maybe by Athletics (and thus, say, using Quickness or Reflexes as the virtual pool). That would actually work kinda well now that I think about it, as it'll be harder to be a great shot and a dodger in ranged combat (since both might use Quickness as their pool), as opposed to melee combat (where you get to use Strength to fight, and Quickness to dodge).

This is all raw speculation, of course. I really doubt if the end product is going to work or look anything like this at all. Mostly just trying to show some possibilities of how to "get rid of dice pools" without necessarily getting rid of the role they served in the game.

But who knows, maybe they truly did ditch 'em. Either way, I'm still going to wait to see how it pans out even if I do have my doubts about some things. smile.gif
GunnerJ
I've always felt dodging should be a skill. Reaction + Dodge?
mfb
here's one way you could adapt the dice pool concept: a set of floating combat points which modify success thresholds. whenever you're attacked and want to dodge, you can allocate combat points to increase the number of successes necessary to get a hit on you. if you want to put more oomph into an attack, you allocate combat points to reduce the threshold necessary to score a hit.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (mfb)
here's one way you could adapt the dice pool concept: a set of floating combat points which modify success thresholds. whenever you're attacked and want to dodge, you can allocate combat points to increase the number of successes necessary to get a hit on you. if you want to put more oomph into an attack, you allocate combat points to reduce the threshold necessary to score a hit.

That was one posibility I'd considered. Another was that they would do something akin to the rule for "Cyberdeck Modes" where you could put your deck into Evasion Mode for instance, getting a bonus to your Evasion rating while suffering penalties to your Bod, Sensors, and Masking ratings.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012