Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR goes new WOD
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
mfb
i have to agree with backgammon. the three updates so far have focused on what's changing--probably because that's what people are asking about most. what we're asking now, is, what's staying the same? what is there, in the new system, that makes it SRish?
Mieric
QUOTE (Backgammon)
Maybe it's the way information is being communicated that is screwing the pooch...

And the tendency for game publishers (not necessarily Fanpro) to change systems dramatically, making all prior purchases useless except as flavor text.

Once bitten, no matter by whom, twice shy.
Been there, done that.
Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

Having been through several changeovers of differing game systems.... my faith that that any new system will still have the playstyle that drew me to SR in first place is severely lacking.
Nikoli
Some quick number crunching
6 dice
16000 tosses (that's a 2% stand dev. approx.)

1 or more hits 91.213%
2 or more hits 64.644%
3 or more hits 32.169%
4 or more hits 10.294%
5 or more hits 1.819%
6 of 6 hits 0.150%

Formula used (in excel)
6 colums of randbwetween(1,6) 7th colum count colums 1 through 6, if they are >4 then, I counted from that colum if greater than 0 (1 or more hits), 2, etc.
Should give an idea of how easily an avergae person will fair in accomplishing somethign based on hits
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Backgammon @ Apr 5 2005, 01:14 PM)
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Apr 5 2005, 03:44 PM)
Why is it that no one believes us when we tell them that we're thinking of things like this?

I try so hard to have faith in you guys, since I KNOW you guys are good. I'm the one trying to calm my group that SR isn't "ruined". But see, how could I know "something" was being worked on to fix the no-more-longshots problem? The update didn't say that. You did, just now, and I do feel better.

I'm glad it helped calm your nerves.

There just seems to be a lot of people saying, "Well, this is fucking broken because this one sentence in the FAQ is all they're ever going to say about it!" without the person ever considering that we play the game, too, and we think, "You know, this might be cool, but this could be a problem so we need to come up with a solution" as we do so. The fact is, we do play the new rules (it's called playtesting for a reason), and we do try to fill in the holes.
So we're supposed to either have blind faith that you guys are gonna give us a golden, shiney, perfect SR4, or read the updates and go "this sucks". Maybe it's the way information is being communicated that is screwing the pooch...

Not asking for blind faith, but we would all feel a little better if you (and that's a very generic "you" there) didn't assume we were mental midgets without the brains or common sense God gave a gopher. We've got some pretty bright people working on this, and we know that things are going to need work before this goes to print. That's all we're asking for. Instead of yelling, "This sucks and it's broken!", someone could try to ask politely, "Hey, did you consider Y when you were working on X?"
Vuron
Any dicepool system of attribute + skill rating with fixed TNs is going to resemble exalted/aeonverse. Just like storyteller was initially seen as a variant of SR's dicepool mechanics.

Some concerns
Hopefully they don't use botches on 1s or multiple successes for 6s(d6 is just to small of a dice for those to function well)
Hopefully environmental +/- to dicepools aren't too extreme or common

Assuming that 6d6 is the average roll for the average person then 2 successes is a decent average. I assume that that one success will be enough for a routine task and that the additional success will stage for effect.

So shooting someone 10 meters away might be a 1 success test, while shooting them while you are jogging and in poor visibility might be a 3 success test and shooting the pistol out of thier hand while you are running full speed and in total darkness might be a 5 success test.

I would assume that any number of successes beyond the base get applied towards staging the target.
Austere Emancipator
Nikoli: I tried that with 50000 rows of 6 columns each, so that it did all the math at the same time (the same table had all the calculations down to the probability for each outcome), and stupid Excel crashed. frown.gif
hobgoblin
the more is read the less i like it. its no longer shadowrun, its a bastard child of shadowrun and wod eek.gif pretending to be its father...

mfb
see, okay. someone explain to me why X is bad solely because it was used by Y first? i gives one entire damn about who used the dN vs fixed TN Q first. what matters is whether or not it works well.
mmu1
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman)
Not asking for blind faith, but we would all feel a little better if you (and that's a very generic "you" there) didn't assume we were mental midgets without the brains or common sense God gave a gopher. We've got some pretty bright people working on this, and we know that things are going to need work before this goes to print. That's all we're asking for. Instead of yelling, "This sucks and it's broken!", someone could try to ask politely, "Hey, did you consider Y when you were working on X?"

It's not insulting your intelligence to say that some aspects of a game you're making might "suck" as far as the more hardcore players are concerned.

You very well might be making a system that's going to play well, but based on the information out currently, it's not going to play remotely like SR3, and it'll reduce complexity in all areas - and not just those that most people here feel were overcomplicated to begin with.

And maybe it's just me, but saying that "yes, we know things are going to need work before they go to print" with less than four months of development left doesn't exactly inspire confidence...
mmu1
QUOTE (mfb)
see, okay. someone explain to me why X is bad solely because it was used by Y first? i gives one entire damn about who used the dN vs fixed TN Q first. what matters is whether or not it works well.

I think the fact that the WoD system wasn't actually any good (aside from a simple and accessible character generation system) might have something to do with it.
mfb
emphasis on "was". most people are very pleased with the Aeon rules, which are what the "new" WoD uses.
shadow_scholar
I have to agree this evolving FAQ has me worried. I jumped into SR at the end of SR1 but really got into it at the beginning of SR2. I vaguely remember damage codes such as 5M3 and stuff like that, but it was simplified to 2 successes stage down in SR2. I thought streamlines like that were rad.

Fast forward on the day SR3 came out and I bought my book. I read through it and see that they reworked the magic rules to fit more closely with the core rules. Once again, that was a rad streamline (forgive my vernacular, I did most of my growing up in the 80s). Now that rigging and decking rules have evolved into his weblike behemoth I will admit I stay away from them, and that's my option as a player and a GM. So I hear SR4 is coming out, once again I think, "rad!" because I'm hoping they'll do to Rigging and Decking what they did to Magic in the change to 3rd Edition, streamline the rules to make them fit in with the core ones.

Well, now I'm hearing whisperings that the old system I know and love is somewhat caput, and has been replaced by either a complete copy or slightly modified version of the new WoD rules. That really bugs me. I'll admit I haven't played the new WoD, only the old version, which is what drove me away from the game. I loved the setting, I thought it was brilliant, but I hated the system. So I can see why FanPro is trying to appeal to those types of players, but one of the big reasons I play SR is because the rules are like nothing else I've played. Its their uniqueness and ability to at least give me a shot, no matter how slim it is, is what I loved.

The highest TN I can think of that I rolled against was something like a 20, and I remember the look on my GM's face when I rolled that 23 on the Int test. After a heartbeat he said, "fuck!" because now he had to actually give me info that he didn't bother thinking up because he never figured anyone would ever roll that high when they needed to. It seems like those days might be numbered because I'm hearing that the impossible TNs and open ended sixes are dead. Very sad. I loved that chance we once had. So who knows about this new system. I'll probably buy a BBB to see what has changed, but if I read through it and find that these current whisperings have turned into canonical shouts then I'm gonna remain an SR3 player for life.

So if FanPro kills part of what I feel makes Shadowrun the Shadowrun I love, then so be it, I'll stick with the old FASA days and FASA rules. You can call my viewpoint flawed, wrong, or childish, that's your prerogative, but I feel like FanPro is making a trade...trading new players for the old salty dog ones who are too set in their ways to keep with the march of "progress". Make your trade, FanPro. I hope it brings you much success.
Vuron
Okay I didn't want to do math today but here it is

Since the chances of any one dice being a success is 33% the probability of getting 1 success out of any number of dice can be derived with the following formula.

1 - (0.67 ^ N) where N is the number of dice rolled

So a quick chart smile.gif

Dice Rolled Chance of 1 Success
1 die 33%
2 die 44%
3 die 70%
4 die 80%
5 die 87%
6 die 91%
7 die 94%
8 die 96%
9 die 98%
10 die 98%

So there is a point of diminishing returns having much above 6 dice in your pool if you are looking for 1 success.

If I can remember how to do binomial expansion I'll do a chart for number of success expected for each number of dice in the pool
Austere Emancipator
I suggest you use the accurate figure (1-(2/3)^N). I already did this (for 1 success, up to 10 dice) closer to the beginning of this thread. Here it is again, with 11-20 added:
CODE
# dice     P(1+ successes)  # dice         P(1+ successes)
1          0.333            11             0.988
2          0.556            12             0.992
3          0.704            13             0.995
4          0.802            14             0.997
5          0.868            15             0.998
6          0.912            16             0.998
7          0.941            17             0.999
8          0.961            18             0.9993
9          0.974            19             0.9995
10         0.983            20             0.9997
Diminishing returns should never be a problem in Shadowrun, though.
Nyan
Those who are defending the fixed TN systems need to really take a moment to think about how modifiers are applied. Sure, it's easy to say, "now you just roll your N dice and count the X's," but what about when N changes? In Exalted, there are plenty of die penalties which are calculated before the roll. This slows down the game at that point (though you may recapture some of that lost time later). In current SR, there are almost no die penalties, just TN changes.

Shadowrun:
Player rolls N dice. N is determined by skill (or default) plus optional pool use. GM does not add or subtract from N. Before or after this, GM assigns a TN. If there's no pool use, then the player can just roll and wait for the TN. GM's input occurs once.

Exalted/other WW:
GM assigns die penalties. Player, after hearing the die penalties, rolls N - x dice. Player then counts own successes. GM then subtracts minimum success levels and "success penalties" (difficulty) to determine "level of success".

In SR, as things stand, there is one number that gets adjusted for regular success tests -- the TN. The player die roll can take place without wait, it's just the interpretation that takes a moment longer. WW-style has two places where the GM needs to pay attention. As a GM, I don't think that fits with what simplification is supposed to mean.

Admittedly, SR4 may not have die penalties, but that would make it awfully coarse-grained. I personally hate systems where "you must be at least this high" to have any chance of success.
Eldritch
Why is it that no one believes us when we tell them that we're thinking of things like this?

biggrin.gif Becuase we don't trust you.

Sorry I'm still not on the band wagon. The more info that is released, the more nervous I get. I'll toss my hat in with the others that have said something to the effect of "Maybe the next faq update should focus on what isn't changing." And I don't think anyone wants to here about setting and flavor - we want to know what isn't changing about the mechanics; chargen, magic, combat, decking (nyahnyah.gif), and rigging.

Yeah, I will admit, the new matrix stuff sounds cool. Hopefully someone will work out a 3rd edition version of it once it is released smile.gif

(And I'll still call them deckers, riggers, and such.)

Rajaat99
I wonder if Adpets and Mages are going to have disciplines, oops, I mean traditions, uh, tribes.
Shadow
It will be hard for them to tell us what mechanics arn't changing... since they are creating a whole new ruleset.
slainethehornedgod
Let me add a positive voice to this thread. I don't feel that the information provided so far has anything in common with WoD or nWoD. Or Aeon for that matter. The most one can say is that the system is skill+attribute which describes a lot of RPG's.

My group and I are the exact people that FanPro is targeting with SR4. We played SR 1, 2, and 3 and eventually quit due to the rules. IMO there are two major problems with SR3. One, players have a hard time being introduced to the game due to the near overwhelming complexity of the system. And two, GM's hated to run the game due to the overwhelming complexity.

Sure you can say that the complexity of SR was a part of the game but in order to get my gaming group back to SR it needs to be simplified some. Some mind you. My favorite part of SR has always been the magic system.

If FanPro cleans up the system maybe they would even have something that would make a good core system. The main problem I had with Earthdawn was the fact that they didn't use the SR mechanics.
Nikoli
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
Nikoli: I tried that with 50000 rows of 6 columns each, so that it did all the math at the same time (the same table had all the calculations down to the probability for each outcome), and stupid Excel crashed. frown.gif

create the table with the data first, copy the results and then paste only the data, not the formulas. then save that new sheet and create the rest of the stuff. this will save your comp from re-rolling everytime youmake a change.
Cynic project
these new rules further favor magically active characters, namely adepts.

If nothing else changes adept will be like street sams butter better. I mean that as in adepts will still roll more dice the samies. Right now that is alright, having more dice is a nice trick but not the end all of power. When you give flat Tns, having more dice is the be all and end all.

And don't even get me started about metas. Really, if nothing else changes then I would really have to think about playing a human.
Lucyfersam
Instead of yelling, "This sucks and it's broken!", someone could try to ask politely, "Hey, did you consider Y when you were working on X?"

That was the intent of my starting this thread, generating thoughts given the amount of info we have to replace what we've been told has been taken away. However, no developer or playtester has commented... Yes it starts out somewhat critical, but that is because we were told something we loved was being removed from the game with no hints of something replacing it. That kind of news makes people a bit critical.
Vuron
QUOTE (Cynic project)
these new rules further favor magically active characters, namely adepts.

If nothing else changes adept will be like street sams butter better. I mean that as in adepts will still roll more dice the samies. Right now that is alright, having more dice is a nice trick but not the end all of power. When you give flat Tns, having more dice is the be all and end all.

And don't even get me started about metas. Really, if nothing else changes then I would really have to think about playing a human.

You are making alot of assumption concerning attributes and attribute adders that aren't clear from the amount of information given.

Certainly if trolls adepts consistently have high single digit low double digit physical attributes they are going to roll pretty big dice pools.

However it's not entirely reasonable to assume that the attribute scales and racial modifiers remain consistent across editions. In fact I would be tempted to suggest that attribute adders above the "average" of 3 will be much more rare/costly than they are in SR3.

Furthermore I expect that karma increases to attributes will be much more expensive so as to discourage plugging all karma into the much smaller number of attributes instead of skills. Considering the number of active skills alone are much higher you would need to make attribute increase costs proportional to the number of active skills in the game to make skill increases worthwhile.
GunnerJ
Some more probability stuff. I worte a program that "rolls" some "dice" and then averages the successes. This is the output; it lists the average successes one can expect from the stated number of dice given the stated number of rolls of that many dice.

CODE
For 10000 rolls:
Average successes for 1 dice is 0.3276
Average successes for 2 dice is 0.6693
Average successes for 3 dice is 0.9939
Average successes for 4 dice is 1.3315
Average successes for 5 dice is 1.6765
Average successes for 6 dice is 2.0056
Average successes for 7 dice is 2.3144
Average successes for 8 dice is 2.6718
Average successes for 9 dice is 2.9822
Average successes for 10 dice is 3.344
Average successes for 11 dice is 3.6697
Average successes for 12 dice is 4.0276
Average successes for 13 dice is 4.3134
Average successes for 14 dice is 4.6439
Average successes for 15 dice is 4.9989
Average successes for 16 dice is 5.366
Average successes for 17 dice is 5.7181
Average successes for 18 dice is 6.005
Average successes for 19 dice is 6.3303
Average successes for 20 dice is 6.6381
Average successes for 21 dice is 7.0035
Average successes for 22 dice is 7.3343
Average successes for 23 dice is 7.7128
Average successes for 24 dice is 7.9664
Average successes for 25 dice is 8.3413

CODE
For 100000 rolls:
Average successes for 1 dice is 0.33354
Average successes for 2 dice is 0.66622
Average successes for 3 dice is 1.00229
Average successes for 4 dice is 1.33278
Average successes for 5 dice is 1.66744
Average successes for 6 dice is 2.00047
Average successes for 7 dice is 2.33248
Average successes for 8 dice is 2.66391
Average successes for 9 dice is 3.0001
Average successes for 10 dice is 3.33158
Average successes for 11 dice is 3.66391
Average successes for 12 dice is 4.00507
Average successes for 13 dice is 4.3362
Average successes for 14 dice is 4.66508
Average successes for 15 dice is 5.00817
Average successes for 16 dice is 5.32919
Average successes for 17 dice is 5.66823
Average successes for 18 dice is 6.00512
Average successes for 19 dice is 6.33123
Average successes for 20 dice is 6.67531
Average successes for 21 dice is 7.00249
Average successes for 22 dice is 7.34436
Average successes for 23 dice is 7.67601
Average successes for 24 dice is 8.00257
Average successes for 25 dice is 8.33942

Written in Java, I can email the source to any interested parties.
Vuron
Excellent chart I was pretty certain my 3 dice buys you one success wasn't entirely correct but was close enough for quesstimates. Of course we don't know if the system is one predicated on multiple successes being needed for harder tasks or if it just has huge numbers of situational modifiers that often reduce the number of dice rolled.

Personally I find systems where more successes needed for harder tasks to be easier to adjudicate than remembering all the damned conditional modifiers and I generally feel they are more elegant than reducing dice pools but that's just my personal preference.

Overall it does predicate a significant change in a variety of structures but so as to make updating characters a scary proposition at best but I'd be content to just have a simple easy to use system.
Eldritch
It will be hard for them to tell us what mechanics arn't changing... since they are creating a whole new ruleset.

Which just begs the question - how much is done? I mean Gencon is what, 4 months away? And how long will the printer need it? How far in advance will Fanpro want to get it to the printer to ensure they have case loads for gencon? 30, 60 days? Seems like they are either cuttting it close - or the majority of the descisions have been made. They are just ironing out some of the little wrinkles that the playtesters/readers come across.

(Yes, this is just speculation)

Adam
Printing times, from the time the files are sent to the printer, to the time the books ship out, are as little as 10 days now. Couple that with overnight shipping [or two day shipping if the book is printed overseas] and it's still under two weeks.
Backgammon
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman)
There just seems to be a lot of people saying, "Well, this is fucking broken because this one sentence in the FAQ is all they're ever going to say about it!" without the person ever considering that we play the game, too, and we think, "You know, this might be cool, but this could be a problem so we need to come up with a solution" as we do so. The fact is, we do play the new rules (it's called playtesting for a reason), and we do try to fill in the holes.

The problem, I think, really is that the FAQ is one line. It drops a bombshell and then walks away.

It would probably be far more "reassuring" for us if there was an explanation WHY the changes are being made, and highlight the rela positives of it.

For example, "Skill+Attribute vs TN 5 +/- dice. This means we have greater freedom to tweak the difficulty of a certain test, because adding and removing dice modifies probabilities in smaller increments than raising the TN in the old system. Also, although we can't talk about it right now, we are looking into keeping the good old dramatic effect of the Rule of Six in the new system".

It's not necessary, but it sure is better PR. Doesn't Fanpro have a Marketing department?

Also, although, like I said, I DO have faith in the people involved in making SR4, there is always that nagging doubt that Fanpro will want to dumb down the system to cater to a wider audience, and the Devs have no choice but to comply.
Penta
Uh, the devs are FanPro.

It's like, at most, 5 people I think?
Little Bill
QUOTE (Shadow)
I think a lot of people fear SR turning into an overly simplistic D6 version of D20. Simplicity breeds cookie cutter games and characters. I feel as I have grown up that I prefer complex rules that challenge my mid as opposed to rules like D20... Complex rules bread a complex game. Simple rules, simple game. The setting may be what draws people in, but I think the rules are what keeps them.

Some of the most complex characters and games I have ever played were in the Legend of the Five Rings game - a game with relatively simple game mechanics but an extremely complex background.

I don't think you should be challenged by the rules. You should be challenged by the situations the GM puts in front of you, not the rules.
Backgammon
QUOTE (Penta @ Apr 5 2005, 08:01 PM)
Uh, the devs are FanPro.

You are mistaken correct.
Adam
FanPro LLC has an exceptionally lean full/part-time staff; almost everyone works on a freelance basis. FanPro certainly doesn't have 5 full-timers on salary. smile.gif
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Penta)
Uh, the devs are FanPro.

FanPro LLC is basically Rob Boyle, with a couple of part-timers pitching in, as I understand things. The German side is likely not much bigger, though I've never dealt with them so I don't have a count. Adam could probably give you better numbers than I can.

Game companies are small, in general. I think FASA at its most expansive was about 20 people. Behemoths like Wizards of the Coast are the exception rather than the rule, and by most standards I don't even think WotC is that big a gathering of people.

Technically, there's really only one developer: Rob Boyle. There are several writers (I know Rob, Christian, Jon, and Elissa are working on that side of things, though I'm not certain of any others). The rest are a bunch of playtesters. But yes, FanPro LLC is a small outfit.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Backgammon)
QUOTE (Penta @ Apr 5 2005, 08:01 PM)
Uh, the devs are FanPro.

You are mistaken.

No, he's really not.
Vuron
In any given system excess complexity creates an inherent learning curve that can keep a system from gaining new adherents. The simple fact of the matter is that within a niche marketplace like tabletop roleplaying being an "advanced" rpg that requires more knowledge to get into automatically limits your user base. If we want more products to come out (assuming most people can find some utility in products if only for the fluff content) we need to realize that in order to compete SR needs to have mechanics at least comparible difficult to understand as other leading systems.

Yes we are almost certainly going to see dice pools that can exceed 10 dice and changing the base mechanics to attribute + skill does require a lot of changes in how skills and attributes are determined.

Personally I tend to like the Silcore mechanics: Dice pool equal to skill rating + attribute modifiers (often between +/- 2) but that's just me. The key thing with an attribute + skill system is that with most of the systems that have gone with that mechanic have had attributes end up dramatically overpowering the effects of high skills. For example even with 9 attributes in the various storyteller variants there are far more skills than attributes so it is preferable to focus your development on attributes unless skill advancement is significantly cheaper than attribute advancement.

One way I'd balance the equation is to make attribute advancement via karma exponential so raising a stat from average (3) to (4) would cost 16 karma or something like that whereas skill advancement would work similar to the existing system. Further attribute adds from race, cyberware, adept powers, etc would likey be signficantly toned down as a troll with 10 strength could basically automatically succeed at strength based tests etc. I would expect that attribute adds become more on the line of +/- 1 for good attributes (Orc Body/Strength Elf Charisma) and +/- 2 for truly exceptional attributes (Troll Body/Strength). Cyberware stat adders would almost certainly be toned down (or else not add to rolls).

It's not a bad basis for a system altogether and I'm interested in knowing more of the mechanics as they get released (as mechanics are generally not copyrightable there is no incentive not to have the general mechanics released).
Vuron
Further concurrance to the abysmally small sizes of most gaming companies. The number of companies that can afford to have a staff in the high single digits are extremely rare and the tendency is for most to have 1 or 2 employees that generally have other employment. For the most part tabletop gaming has never been and never will be a money making venture. Factor in time put in on average for each product and most writers might be averaging minimum wage.

I'm not saying that we should start paying game designers 6 figures as obviously market forces tend to dictate the going rate etc but that assuming that any product line can afford massive staffing is simply not the case.
Nikoli
I dunno, I imagine WotC having a good staff
Adam
WotC is an exception to just about every game company rule. smile.gif

When dealing with companies that make strictly RPGs [with perhaps a side foray into a card game or two], I can't think of an active company in the industry that has more than 30 full-time staff members [White Wolf might, actually], and most are 5 or under.
Vuron
QUOTE (Adam)
WotC is an exception to just about every game company rule. smile.gif

When dealing with companies that make strictly RPGs [with perhaps a side foray into a card game or two], I can't think of an active company in the industry that has more than 30 full-time staff members [White Wolf might, actually], and most are 5 or under.

Even WotC significantly cut back it's staffing after 3.0 and more than a few people feel that it remains fairly bloated and top heavy (granted it's got more than just tabletop roleplaying as it's business).

For example Guardians of Order puts out a good number of games each each in several different lines (BESM, SAS, etc) with several different systems and has I think a grand total of one employee. Most other companies that are strictly tabletop are pretty much the same thing. If you are putting out 3-4 books a year (and that's a pretty impressive number in the industry) it simply doesn't pay to have a line developer, editor, art director etc. The industry used to me more about full time employees but in the past decade freelancers have pretty much been the only way to go.
Adam
*cough*

I was laid off from Guardians of Order last December. wink.gif

We had 5 employees before the layoffs -- President, two production staff, two line developers, plus a part time office assistant.
Vuron
QUOTE (Adam)
*cough*

We had 5 employees before the layoffs -- President, two production staff, two line developers, plus a part time office assistant.

I feel for you. Is it true that the weak US dollar combined with the steady increase in production costs pretty much doomed having a non US based company in this industry?
Adam
That was one of the primary reasons for the GoO layoffs, yes.
Kesh
Well, let me just chime in to say that I'm quite excited with the changes I've been seeing in SR4. And I've been playing (off and on) since SR1.

Am I nervous? Sure. But I'm also quite pleased with most of what I've read. It's going to change some of the feel of SR, but I think in the end it'll be for the better.

And yes, I like the nWoD dice mechanics, so this doesn't bother me much. wink.gif
Bull
I'll add in two things here...

1) Design was begun on SR4 before nWoD came out, so the similarities are fairly coincidental.

2) WotC is owned by Hasbro, which ius a company that makes hundreds of millions of dollars a year.

WotC is an exception for a reason. They're by far the number one selling game company in the world thanks to Magic and D&D, and they have a cash giant behind them. And even then, as was noted, they've still had several lay offs since the "good ol' days", right around the time of Pokemon and D&D, which is liekly when they were at their largest.

3) Ok, I lied, three things. I'll confirm what Adam and Patrick have said. FanPro is one guy, Rob Boyle. Adam, Rett Kipp, and... I'm blanking on the name, but the main CBT developer, are all pretty much Part Time. There's a couple regular freelancers who do specific things on a job by job basis. That's about it...

Bull
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Bull)
1) Design was begun on SR4 before nWoD came out, so the similarities are fairly coincidental.

However, the nWoD core mechanic apeared in similar forms, in Exalted and the Trinity/Abberant/Adventure! lines, that have been around for a while now.

I realize that there would never be any offical admission on the part of anyone associated with SR4's development that they were inspired by another company's mechanic, but fans and independent reviwers will point out any obvious similarities, just as many pointed out that when the original WoD first came out, it's original dice mechanic "looked a lot like Shadowrun's -- only with d10s."
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Bull)
3) Ok, I lied, three things. I'll confirm what Adam and Patrick have said. FanPro is one guy, Rob Boyle. Adam, Rett Kipp, and... I'm blanking on the name, but the main CBT developer, are all pretty much Part Time. There's a couple regular freelancers who do specific things on a job by job basis. That's about it...

Randall Bills.
Bull
Thanks Patrick. That's the name... I can picture what he looks like, he's a great guy, very cool to hang with at the con, I was just blanking on the name... (I kept coming up with Bryan Nystul, but that was the former Line Dev at FASA).

And Paul, yeah, I know... <shrug> Aeon/Trinity, Abberant, and Adventure all used the core nWoD system, before they became cancer-giving substances ork.gif

I know that FanPro didn't say "Hey, let's copy this WW game mechanic". If nothing else, FanPro's crew is pretty decent friends with White Wolf's crew (I'm still bummed I missed out on the Dodgeball match at Gen Con smile.gif ). There may have been a bit of inpiration there, I'm not sure. I wasn't involved in the early stages of design.

And, well, I'll say this. There's a bit more too it than nWoD's core system. How much more, can't say, but... There's more ork.gif

Bull
Kai
...more than 30 full-time staff members [White Wolf might, actually]

I don't think its quite 30, but hovering around that mark most likely.

--//[改]>
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman)

Game companies are small, in general. I think FASA at its most expansive was about 20 people. Behemoths like Wizards of the Coast are the exception rather than the rule, and by most standards I don't even think WotC is that big a gathering of people.

[fistful of yen]
Yes, Wizards of the Coast is a gaming conglomerate of extra-ordinary magnitude. They have our gratitude.
[/fistful of yen]
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Adam)
*cough*

Man, I remember GOO back when BESM was just a little booklet. I send GOO a rules question and the author actually answered it himself.

I still like BESM little booklet edition better than the subsequent editions, though. The later editions had rules overload where having a lot of rules for anime dosen't make sense; it's not like anime characters win or lose battles because of statistics and rules nuance. Anime characters win or lose battles out of shtick and what the author wants to do with the plot. Therefore, the almost pointless Body, Mind, and Spirit stats that gave you the same CV no matter what configuration you used actually made more sense in that respect.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012