Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FAQ#4, What haven't they changed.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (blakkie)
That's why I switch to the 12mm mini-d6s. Chessex sells them in the 36-pack (3x3 by 4 dice high), which I'd hope would be enough. They are small enough that you can comfortable roll mid-teens of them in front of you.

So I take it that it's a good thing I have about 100 5mm d6s of various colors?

(Though I have to say, those aren't my favorites for SR dice. I've got a set that has a d6 inside of another clear d6. I'd just go by what the outer clear dice rolled, and if it had come up 6, then I already have my re-roll inside. Of course such a thing may or may not be as handy come August.)
Eldritch
That pretty much somes it up. Thanks Eldritch.

I completely agree with you too Eldritch.

Thanks Guys. I think that most of the Nay Sayers fall into this category.
blakkie
QUOTE (Eldritch @ Apr 14 2005, 11:02 AM)
That pretty much somes it up. Thanks Eldritch.

I completely agree with you too Eldritch.

Thanks Guys. I think that most of the Nay Sayers fall into this category.

SR had had three kicks at the can to get around some inherent screwiness in how the d6 and TNs worked. In many ways it had failed. SR was in a rut, and to get to the next level it needed some serious unrutting. That's what Fanpro is trying to do.

Am I convinced that fixed TN5 across the board is the way to go? No I'm not. Why am I not? Because I haven't had the months and months of emersion in it needed to put together a steamlined but deep system (which is, like you say somewhere else here, hard). I suspect that is true of a LOT of people here. But without going through that process I'm not sure you can say fairly that it's impossible.
Eldritch
sorry, But I've played the game a since it was published. And yeah, it took a few tries to wrap myself around the mechanics - but after that, I've not had any problems. Nor seen any 'Screwiness' witht he system.

Is it perfect? No (But No system is)

Could it uses some streamlining? Hell Yeah! The books definetly needed some reorganization.

Did some of the rules need fixing? Maybe - Decking and rigging didn't really need fixing as much as toned down and a way to integrate them fully with the team. It seems they are doing that with the 'wireless wizard' thing.

Does the game need new players? Yeah - Then Advertise. And I don't mean a blurb in a mag or three. Or just the Internet. I mean put the damn game in front of everyones face. Display stands. The Quickstart rules in pamphlet form at the regieter of every gaming shop. Cool poster. Contests. The works.

Did the rules need a conmplete rework? No. (Yeah, My opinion - and many others.)

I'm still not saying that the new rule system won't kick ass. I just don't see it as neccessary. See above posts.

blakkie
Did some of the rules need fixing? Maybe - Decking and rigging didn't really need fixing as much as toned down and a way to integrate them fully with the team. It seems they are doing that with the 'wireless wizard' thing.

IMO decking needed punting. A total, fullout punt. They simply aren't usable as written in any meaningful way given that they force a disjuncture of the team. The Matrix is the Matrix and RL is RL, and never the two did meet. The closest was the kludge of hitcher jacks, and that was little more than an IC excuse that the other players knew what was going on.

Vehicle combat rules? Another punt. Who used manuvering on anything resembling a regular basis?

And yeah, it took a few tries to wrap myself around the mechanics - but after that, I've not had any problems. Nor seen any 'Screwiness' witht he system.

You can't build a player base with an entry wall that high. Advertise if you like, but people burned before will stay away unless you can truthfully say you ripped the beast down and built it back up.

EDIT: Oh g-d, and Magic. What a rat's nest that is. Much easier to learn from past mistakes then make a clean break to rid yourself of the legacy mistakes.
Ellery
What's wrong with the magic system? It's got a lot of conceptual details that are part of SR fiction, so whatever is wrong may not be fixable. Mechanically, I thought most of it worked pretty well. (With a few glitches, but everything has glitches.)
blakkie
QUOTE (Ellery @ Apr 14 2005, 06:31 PM)
What's wrong with the magic system?  It's got a lot of conceptual details that are part of SR fiction, so whatever is wrong may not be fixable.  Mechanically, I thought most of it worked pretty well.  (With a few glitches, but everything has glitches.)

For the spells - fixed TNs here, altering ones there. They all work differently. The meaning of Force is all over the place. Then for scratching the surface of the rest of Magic problems see this thread....
Ellery
Sometimes they work differently because they do different things. Some of that is just inherent in the diversity of what can be accomplished with magic.

It would be nice to make them more consistent--knowing when the TN is 4 vs. 6 vs. ORT vs. something else is a bit tricky. But that's a pretty minor change. And they need to fix up the problems with some Force 1 spells being as good as Force 6 (which they introduced with SR3, in large part). Again, that's a pretty small change.

A few edits, a little playtesting, done. The basic structure of the magic system doesn't need to change to accommodate that.
blakkie
QUOTE (Ellery @ Apr 14 2005, 07:12 PM)
Sometimes they work differently because they do different things.  Some of that is just inherent in the diversity of what can be accomplished with magic.

It would be nice to make them more consistent--knowing when the TN is 4 vs. 6 vs. ORT vs. something else is a bit tricky.  But that's a pretty minor change.  And they need to fix up the problems with some Force 1 spells being as good as Force 6 (which they introduced with SR3, in large part).  Again, that's a pretty small change.

A few edits, a little playtesting, done.  The basic structure of the magic system doesn't need to change to accommodate that.

It's not just that they do different things, they are a collection of different spells created under different eras of magic system design thought. EDIT: And it shows. Punt all the spells and rebuild each from scratch.

Resisting spells definately needs to change to meld well with unified spell system. But, like I said there are there are other items in that thread. Does the magic system need a total punt like the Matrix? Nah, but it needs some serious work.
Ellery
So you actually want a different selection of spells than exist now, not just spells with cleaned-up mechanics? Or do you doubt that this set of spells can be cleaned up?
Tal
I'd prefer to have them at the very least all brought to the same standard. But I'm voting for a slash-and-burn approach, personally.

Some of the SR2 relics are just painful.
Cain
So, after reading all the posts here, I decided to jander over to the RPG.net forums, and take a look at what they were saying.

I waded through 30+ pages on SR4, and decided to run a little count. I counted 40 posts that were mostly pro-changes, 45 that were mostly con, 185 posts that were either neutral or had nothing to do with SR4, 32 posts of pure snark, 3 posts saying that Shadowrun should convert to D20, and 5 moderator warnings.

While I know this isn't a representative sample, I wouldn't say that the RPG world is much more enthusiastic about SR4 than we are.
Ellery
I'm voting for a slash-and-burn approach, personally.

Some of the SR2 relics are just painful.

That's rather vague. What is causing you pain?
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Cain)
So, after reading all the posts here, I decided to jander over to the RPG.net forums, and take a look at what they were saying.

I waded through 30+ pages on SR4, and decided to run a little count. I counted 40 posts that were mostly pro-changes, 45 that were mostly con, 185 posts that were either neutral or had nothing to do with SR4, 32 posts of pure snark, 3 posts saying that Shadowrun should convert to D20, and 5 moderator warnings.

While I know this isn't a representative sample, I wouldn't say that the RPG world is much more enthusiastic about SR4 than we are.

But... But... That's not what the playetesters said...
Synner
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ Apr 15 2005, 07:03 AM)
QUOTE (Cain @ Apr 14 2005, 11:17 PM)

Nah, we were just making it up to validate controversial decisions. sarcastic.gif
Did anyone else actually bother to follow the links Demonseed posted a while back?
blakkie
QUOTE (Synner)
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ Apr 15 2005, 07:03 AM)
QUOTE (Cain @ Apr 14 2005, 11:17 PM)

Nah, we were just making it up to validate controversial decisions. sarcastic.gif
Did anyone else actually bother to follow the links Demonseed posted a while back?

Pretty sure I didn't because I don't remember seeing them. You wouldn't have them laying around?
Demosthenes
Here, here, and here are three of them.

smile.gif
Eldritch
Thanks. Okay, went over them. Here's what I caught:

Current SR fans posting there are pretty much saying what we her at DS are sayin - Yay/Nay/Will See...

Old players are saying that they gave up becuase they thought the game was to complex, and that they would look at the new edition

Never played before are saying that they would look at it.

Okay, the people that gave up - So? They gave up becuase the ruleset was too complex?? Okkayyy - but for every one of those there were dozens that stuck with it, liked it, and continued to play it. They probably gave up on lots of other gams that they thought were too complex.

The 'never played' crowd? They'll try anything new. They probably would have tried SR4 No matter what - new rules, revised, or d20.

Oh, and there were several that posted to convert to d20.

Just what I persued, there was pretty much an equal amount of the fans/old fans/potential new players.

Demonseed Elite
Okay, the people that gave up - So? They gave up becuase the ruleset was too complex?? Okkayyy - but for every one of those there were dozens that stuck with it, liked it, and continued to play it. They probably gave up on lots of other gams that they thought were too complex.

I certainly wouldn't say that for every person who has stopped playing SR because they didn't like the ruleset, there were a dozen people who stuck with it. That definitely doesn't match my personal experience, where I can hardly find anyone near me who plays Shadowrun, even among the people who used to play it. The print roleplaying market is undeniably shrinking and if Shadowrun's slice of that pie is shrinking too, internally within the market, that's a definite problem.

The 'never played' crowd? They'll try anything new. They probably would have tried SR4 No matter what - new rules, revised, or d20.

Possibly true. The trick is to get them to stay. And by looking at the problems that have caused people to give up on Shadowrun in the past is one way of aiming to hook the customers who will give it a try and get them to stay.
blakkie
QUOTE (Eldritch @ Apr 15 2005, 10:45 AM)
Okay, the people that gave up - So?  They gave up becuase the ruleset was too complex??  Okkayyy - but for every one of those there were dozens that stuck with it, liked it, and continued to play it.  They probably gave up on lots of other gams that they thought were too complex.

That just reeks of a stat that just came down the Hersey Highway. eek.gif proof.gif wink.gif

The 'never played' crowd?  They'll try anything new.  They probably would have tried SR4 No matter what - new rules, revised, or d20.

Some of them, yes. Fanpro is likely trying to make sure everyone that does try it out (early adopters) don't met up with a rules brickwall like SR3 and will hopefully stick around and attract the sheep. Or at least buy a few more books.

Oh, and there were several that posted to convert to d20.

Yes well, there are people that insist that since hammers pound nails real good everything starts looking like a nail to them and therefore a hammer is the only tool you'll ever need. This is known to be a common trait among Engineers. frown.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012