Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun 3rd Revised
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Community Projects
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
mmu1
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Astral Reaction is already just Intelligence (or the average of Intelligence and Astral Quickness, which is equal to Intelligence, whichever you'd prefer wink.gif ).

~J

I'm sorry, what are you referring to? wink.gif

(early... Monday... morning... need... sleep)
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
I'm going to admit to my prejudices right up front: if and when I undertake this project, one major aspect of it is that I'll be trying to reflect the fact that, in my opinion, a character without Computers should be like a character without Etiquette. Much as I'm not terribly a fan of the neo-WMI and the death of cyberdecks, the possibility that every character might be reasonably able to be at least part-decker without having to go terribly out of his or her way for it definitely excites me.

~J

...until you meet KK41.

Logic of 1

Uneducated Quality

[Described as a severe learning disability she had all her life which was further accentuated by the Comet's passing]

Of course I Hack, silly, that is what the Katana and Wakasashi are for."
Kagetenshi
Having a Logic of 1 will make it higher than 100% of SR3R characters, what with it not being a stat nyahnyah.gif

~J
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Having a Logic of 1 will make it higher than 100% of SR3R characters, what with it not being a stat nyahnyah.gif

~J

..in SR3 terms - this would give her would have an INT of 2 (based on the average of her Intuition 4 + Logic 1 - round down).

Still pretty low for anyone considering hacking or decking and then, there are the penalties for her Uneducated flaw.

Mention "Matrix" to her, and she would more than likely think of a Russian Superhero from the comics.
Taran
Kage: We'd be moving forward relative to default SR3. It's only backward relative to your system, which I suspect would require some GM adjudication at chargen.

Kyoto Kid: KK41 gets screwed by the SR3 method for determining Reaction, which includes Intelligence. The INT range for successful Shadowrunners mostly starts at 4, modulo a couple of Snoogish aberrations. That's why everyone can cheaply become computer-proficient. Me, I kinda wish there was a way to squeeze a second skill out of Computers, similar to the Sorcery/Conjuring divide, and making decking a tad bit more exclusive.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Taran)

Kyoto Kid: KK41 gets screwed by the SR3 method for determining Reaction, which includes Intelligence.  The INT range for successful Shadowrunners mostly starts at 4, modulo a couple of Snoogish aberrations.  That's why everyone can cheaply become computer-proficient.  Me, I kinda wish there was a way to squeeze a second skill out of Computers, similar to the Sorcery/Conjuring divide, and making decking a tad bit more exclusive.

...I agree, translating KK4.1 to SR3 wouldn't work simply due to the attribute limits imposed in SR4.

Instead, I would consider "dusting off" the original Kyoto Kid concept (who began in SR1) as reworked for SR3. The only drawback I see is the MA loss for wound effects which I thought was a silly rule to begin with.
Chance359
(from Gunner J)
Competency: This attribute describes how well the contact is in certain generalized fields that describe their "job."

The GM should roll competency whenever the contact's ability to do something is in question. Use the field closest related to the task at hand; for example, roll Smuggler to see if the contact can transport something illegally, or Street Doc to see if a contact can heal a wound. Target numbers should be as for the skill being supplanted by competency. Contacts may have to perform tasks outside their chosen field; in these cases apply a TN modifier. For tasks closely related but not really within the contact's expertise (e.g., a Street Doc acquiring illegal drugs) add two to the TN. For tasks distantly related but with some similarities to a field (e.g., a Street Doc repairing cyberlimbs) add four to the TN. For a task completely out of the field's domain (e.g., a Street Doc firing an assault cannon) add eight to the TN.

Compentancy:
1-3 500¥ per point
4-6 3,000¥ per point
7+ 10,000¥ per point

Connection:
1-3 500¥ per point
4-6 1,000¥ per point
7+ 5,000¥ per point

Loyalty:
1-3 500¥ per point
4-6 1,000¥ per point
7+ 5,000¥ per point

Example:
I want to buy a Fixer contact at character creation. I need this fixer to both connected, loyal, and skilled so I splurge and give her Compentancy: 5 (15,000¥), Connection: 5 (5,000¥), and Loyalty: 5 (5,000¥). Meaning that I just spent 30,000 on a contact. ouch, suggestions

Kagetenshi
To help keep track of things, I'm looking into getting a ticket tracker set up for the project. More information soon™.

~J
Kagetenshi
Does anyone have a suggestion for a good tracker that's… well, maybe a little bit less specific to software development than Bugzilla?

Instructions on submitting issues to the tracker coming Real Soon Now™.

~J
James McMurray
Do you have access to a MySQL webserver with PHP and Perl support? If so I've got something that might be useful.

It's something I inherited from an earlier grunt at my last job, and it's written almost entirely in undocumented perl, so it might not be what you're looking for. If you want something easy to modify then I'd avoid it like the plague. But it does have login capabilities, user rights, room for various projects, versions, priorities, due dates, and quite a bit more.
Smilin_Jack
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Does anyone have a suggestion for a good tracker that's… well, maybe a little bit less specific to software development than Bugzilla?

Instructions on submitting issues to the tracker coming Real Soon Now™.

~J

Any of the plethora of scripts here:

http://www.hotscripts.com/Tools_and_Utilit...ties/index.html

Just search for 'Project Management' or 'Ticket'.

Kagetenshi
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Do you have access to a MySQL webserver with PHP and Perl support? If so I've got something that might be useful.

Yes and yes. Offer's much appreciated, if you'd like you can send it on to kagetenshi@sr3r.net .

I'll look into the various options again in the morning and see what comes up as the best option. The problem isn't really that what I have doesn't work, it's just that I don't really feel right about the fact that under the current system someone who tries to add a ticket about, say, staging an Ares Viper Slivergun is asked what operating system this occurred on.

~J
pragma
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ May 21 2006, 01:09 AM)
... asked what operating system this occurred on.

SR3, obviously. biggrin.gif
nezumi
Hey, I was just posting about Shadowrun in the MS shadowrun computer game forum and it occured to me... what is going on with SR3R? Kage had an awesome idea (even if it's only 'reorganized our house rules and equipment lists so they're concise and all in one place').

Kage - why has this gone quiet? What are you missing that can drive your project to undrempt of SUCCESS? I love what you're going for and I'd be happy to contribute some man hours if that would make a difference.
Kagetenshi
Two big reasons why the project went quiet. The first was I actually got off my ass and got back into academia proper instead of bouncing between dead-end jobs and part-time classes I wasn't really interested in. That's really been the big killer—this project is still on my mind, but gone are the days when I would do something like sit down and spend eight hours solid figuring out how to fix something. Tradeoffs.

The other part is, I picked a lot of the low-hanging fruit in the areas that I'm looking at so far. There's still a fair amount elsewhere, but I'm still trying to keep scope constrained so that some of these sections can actually get finished sometime before 2010. The problems I was working on when I last had a chance to spend solid large blocks of time on this were ones where no obvious fix presented itself.

That said, I've got a new Sunday group (woo for three days of Shadowrun a week), so fixing holes has come back into my mind more lately. Still, you (the readers in general) can help. How? Well, a few ways.

1) Identify specific weaknesses in the system, particularly in those areas open for discussion. Post them, we can argue for a few weeks as to whether or not they're bugs or features, then propose solutions if necessary. If you have a proposed solution, all the better, but figuring out precisely what the problem is is the important part.

2) Try the new rules! Decking's really the main place where we've got a chunk of rules all together that are ready for live play. If there are any issues remaining, or worse yet new issues, report them as above.

3) I forgot what this one was.

4) If you're feeling really masochistic, try to sift out the agreed-upon changes from a thread and organize them into a distributable file (PDF, text, RTF, something universal—avoiding Word documents is the big thing).

~J
eidolon
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
(woo for three days of Shadowrun a week)

I hate you so good. Haaaaate.

wink.gif
Wounded Ronin
Will there be happy fun armor degradation rules? I don't think that a firefight counts unless you discard your pockmarked, somewhat bloody vest afterwards.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Dec 10 2006, 06:43 PM)
Will there be happy fun armor degradation rules?  I don't think that a firefight counts unless you discard your pockmarked, somewhat bloody vest afterwards.

Possibly. I'd like to see some armor degradation, but it isn't way up high on my priority list. If I (or someone else, hint hint wink.gif ) had a system that was quick and easy to use I'd put it in in a flash, but I see the difficulty of making it fit in well in an extremely time- and attention-sensitive environment (combat) as outweighing the benefits that paying immediate attention to the problem might bring.

We need some good Computer-Assisted GMing tools (CAG/CAGM). Problem is, most of the ones that don't make people change how they game involve tools not yet sufficiently available (voice recognition, natural language parsing, etc.).

~J
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Dec 10 2006, 06:43 PM)
Will there be happy fun armor degradation rules?  I don't think that a firefight counts unless you discard your pockmarked, somewhat bloody vest afterwards.

Possibly. I'd like to see some armor degradation, but it isn't way up high on my priority list. If I (or someone else, hint hint wink.gif ) had a system that was quick and easy to use I'd put it in in a flash, but I see the difficulty of making it fit in well in an extremely time- and attention-sensitive environment (combat) as outweighing the benefits that paying immediate attention to the problem might bring.

We need some good Computer-Assisted GMing tools (CAG/CAGM). Problem is, most of the ones that don't make people change how they game involve tools not yet sufficiently available (voice recognition, natural language parsing, etc.).

~J

Just brainstorming here, but how about this?

Every time the armor is hit by an attack which has a Power greater than its protective rating for that kind of attack it loses a point of protective value. For the purposes of degradation compare the Power of an elemental attack against the full impact protection of the armor.

Furthermore, when the armor has been hit by attacks which cause physical damage a number of times equal to the protective value relevant to the type of attack (ballistic for bullets, impact for swords), reduce that protective value by one point. This penalty stacks with the above rule.

How does that look?
mmu1
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
Just brainstorming here, but how about this?

Every time the armor is hit by an attack which has a Power greater than its protective rating for that kind of attack it loses a point of protective value. For the purposes of degradation compare the Power of an elemental attack against the full impact protection of the armor.

Furthermore, when the armor has been hit by attacks which cause physical damage a number of times equal to the protective value relevant to the type of attack (ballistic for bullets, impact for swords), reduce that protective value by one point. This penalty stacks with the above rule.

How does that look?

I think that makes armor next to useless - 4 or 5 shots, and your typical runner is left without any armor protection, then dies.

Aside from that, it also doesn't really make sense in a game in which armor and hit locations are pretty abstract, and armor which doesn't cover the whole body still gives protection against just about all attacks.

Finally, it just doesn't make real world sense - I think even modern rigid trauma plates don't lose protective value that quickly, except when hit in or very near the same exact spot twice... And the properties that make most flexible body armor work in the first place also mean it can take repeated hits and the impact will continue to be distributed.

So, personally, I'd be against armor degradation for SR - armor is life, and any rules under which it gets degraded will make already deadly combat even more so. Losing 1 or 2 points of armor might not seem like a big deal, but in reality, it might often mean getting your ability to soak an attack halved. (TN 6 instead of 5, or 5 instead of 3...)

I don't want to simply offer criticism without any constructive suggestions, but frankly... any system you decide to apply to it that's simple will have holes you can drive a bus through, and anything complex isn't really worth the trouble. (what's the point of having an armor degradation model that's more complex than the core injury model?)
Kagetenshi
In this case, where it's not clear that something has to be done, criticism of proposals is constructive IMO. I mean, not that it isn't always if it's reasonable criticism, but the option of not changing things is always there whereas something that needs to be fixed needs some change.

~J
Wounded Ronin
Well, okay, how about this?

Keep track of the number of times that the armor his hit by an attack which exceeds the relevant protective value and which causes Physical damage, with elemental damage Power being compared to full impact for the purpose of this tally.

When the number of times the armor has been hit equals the relevant protective value the armor loses a point of that protective value.

That way the armor won't degrade if it's being hit by a lot of weak attacks or stun attacks, but only for relatively powerful Physical attacks.

Under these rules, a suit of Armor Clothing will quickly degrade upon being fired on by a shotgun because of the big honking holes punched through it. In my mind, the lower Ballistic values represent how you now have zero protection against rounds that hit the punched-through spot.

If layered armor is involved degradation is applied first to the outermost layer of armor. The inner layers of armor are only affected if the [Power of Physical attack - Points of relevant armor on outermost layer of armor as articulated above] > [Relevant protective value of armor underneath]

How's that?
Sphynx
The problem with Armour Degredation rulings is that you have to keep track of armour on a per-piece basis. I would never follow an armour degredation rule for that purpose. The fun of shadowrun (and any rpg) is complex simplicity. Ie: no hit-locations requiring seperate monitors, no insta-death shots, etc.

Just my opinion.
nezumi
On the other hand, I feel like one of the advantages of SR3R will be modularity. For any given problem, there are at least two mechanics available (SR3 and SR3R solutions), possibly more. As an optional rule, the armor degradation rules WR is posting seem well worth including in the final SR3R product, even if many people choose not to use them.
nezumi
- deleted duplicate post because the forum software hates me-
Sir_Psycho
So, i sincerely doubt we'll be able to change it, and I care little either way, but I think it should be brought up for SR3R.

The target numbers of 6 and 7 are the same target number.

Any suggestions for a solution short of changing to the hit system or doing away with the rule of 6 (if that was even possible)?
Dawnshadow
Reroll 6's, adding 5 instead.
nezumi
Wow, that's a very elegant solution!

I'm going through this thread and tabulating everything into a single document, but in case it comes to naught, I think we also need to better define astral perception. Is it a psychic sense or just a visual overlay? Either way, the modifiers should reflect that.
SL James
Well, it's not just visual.
Sphynx
Re-Rolling 6's and adding 5 is probably the best 'solution', however I think most players will agree that it's not a problem needing solving. No game balance or other issues has ever arisen from having a TN of 7 and rolling a 6 being a success. It's just uncomfortable for some people, but isn't an issue really....

And as SL James said, it's not -just- visual. Visual is part of it though. Just like your non-astral perception test may not be -just- visual...
nezumi
The point is, should it be visual at all?
Sphynx
Why is that the point? Why shouldn't it be visual?
blakkie
QUOTE (SL James)
Well, it's not just visual.

Not unless you use dice that are numbered 0-5. wink.gif
nezumi
Because it's a psychic sense, not an optical one.

The problem is basically that we use the metaphor of visual sight to explain it, which is fine to begin with. However there are points when the metaphor is used in place of the reality, and it becomes unnecessarily confusing. For instance, why does astral perception see through glass? The answer is because our normal vision can see through glass. It's a misapplication of the metaphor.
Sphynx
I disagree. The reason Astral Perception can see through glass is because the Astral is mostly manipulated by 'intent'. A window is placed in a location to allow one to see through. The intent and purpose of that window is to provide sensory throughput. It has only enough to do with visual in that visual is the intended sensory.

I don't see a need to seperate them, since it's your brain that's translating the input, and telling you that you're "seeing" something due to a lack of a better way to translate it to you.
nezumi
So if I intend for a wall to be red, it'll be red on the astral, and if I put up a sign saying "no spitting on the dwarves", you'll understand the intent of the sign? Or if I intend to put up a window, but haven't gotten to it yet, you can still see through where it would be?

At best, glass that was put up by someone who REALLY REALLY wanted to be able to see through it should give the sense of 'someone put up something here with the intent of allowing people to see through it'. The astral shows the intent of conscious beings, it does not manifest that intent.
Moon-Hawk
If someone has a hole in their wall and they put up a piece of glass to plug it up, does it show up as opaque, since it was intended to be a barrier, and the visible transparency of glass is incidental?
Sphynx
Re-read about the Astral. Although I realize you're simply attempting to be facisious, I will reply to each comment.

Putting up a red wall has no effect on 'color' in the Astral plane. The 'intent' is based on what the general person (not the implementor or viewer) understands that intent to be. The only 'intent' of a red wall, is that there is an intended barrier in the way.

If you intend to put up a window, there is nothing for the general person to understand from 'intent'. Again, not the implementor or viewer responsible for effect here.

If you use see-thru glass to plug up a hole, your intent is not going to over-ride the general populace definition of 'intent'. However, by my understanding of the Astral, the window would be slightly less opaque (tinted?) than a window glass-piece, purely because there actually is 'intent' of some nature.
nezumi
I really am not trying to be facetious.

Alright, I'm opening up the book to the astral section. So far I see no mention of "intent" anywhere. The most relevant bit is:

"Non-magical objects have no auras, but pick up impressions from being in contact with living auras. Assessing can "read" any impressions left behind on an object."

(here's intent, under astral senses):

"Abstract information is more difficult to perceive there. Written information and symbols carry their emotional intent rather than their informational intent. Blah blah, you could scan a sheet of paper... and get feelings of love and longing from it, but you can't read it to see that it's a love letter."

Glancing through, I don't see where it mentions glass is transparent on the astral, but we both know that that is the rule.

In summary though, you see the emotional intent people leave on objects. So if I really really wanted a window to be transparent, you could get that. That doesn't mean it would be transparent any more than if I really really wanted a love letter to be transparent. Non-magical objects have no aura of their own, and so the window, by virtue of being glass, does not have an 'intention to be transparent' aura that allows you to see through it.

If you have a quote to support your stance, I really would appreciate seeing it, because it could clear up a point of contention I've had for a very long time.

(An addendum, part of the confusion I'm sure stems from:

p.173

"Your astral form has normal human sense of sight...
Written information carry their emotional intent rather than their informational intent. For example... but you can't read a street sign and know what street you're on."

The problem is that clearly you do NOT have the human sense of sight if you can't do things like read. The passage is completely fubared. Either you have the human sense of sight and can see through glass, read signs, etc. or you do not. You have the astral perception to read emotional intent, "see" life, etc. or you do not. However human sight does not read emotional intent, and astral perception cannot read, so clearly the two are separate senses and should be treated as such.)
SL James
QUOTE (Sphynx)
And as SL James said, it's not -just- visual.  Visual is part of it though.  Just like your non-astral perception test may not be -just- visual...

Indeed. My favorite example is something I wrote a year ago.

The pain ran along the side of her head, and it was a pain buried deep within her skull, something painful and destructive that traveled through her brain until she reached her left eye, and it ... it felt dead. She traced her fingertip around the orbital socket, and the pressed on her eye gently, confirming what was an awful truth. It was dead, with the same cold sensation she would get from touching a corpse while she was astrally perceiving.
Kagetenshi
Searching MitS and SR3 for the word "glass" fails to come up with any support for the idea that it is transparent on the astral. I don't have time right now to look more closely.

~J
Moon-Hawk
Just the old SR3 FAQ
Should be the second occurance of the word "glass". But I'm guessing everybody already knew about that.
Fortune
The SR3 FAQ was specific in stating that glass is clear (see-through) to Astral Perceiving/Projecting characters. Incidently, in SR4, glass is now considered opaque in that situation.
nezumi
The best I can find is SR3, page 182.

"Transparent obstructions, such as glass, have no effect on most spells (see below). Because it is transparent, the spellcaster can see the target and affect it." (It doesn't specify 'while on the physical', although two paragraphs before is talking about that.
SL James
It seems to refer just to sorcery on the physical plane, but I grudgingly accept the FAQ idea of it being transparent on the astral.

It's just one of those things I figure doesn't need too much thought put into it, like how metahumans who have thermographic (which I treat as IR) vision can see through glass without impediment.
Dawnshadow
QUOTE (Sphynx)
Re-Rolling 6's and adding 5 is probably the best 'solution', however I think most players will agree that it's not a problem needing solving. No game balance or other issues has ever arisen from having a TN of 7 and rolling a 6 being a success. It's just uncomfortable for some people, but isn't an issue really....

And as SL James said, it's not -just- visual. Visual is part of it though. Just like your non-astral perception test may not be -just- visual...

I'd say it should be included as an "optional", for GMs who the 6/7 thing bugs. Because the option I've seen used in games is the slightly painful "there is no 7", which just means that when you're increasing target numbers, 7=8, and decreasing, 7=6.

Astral perception should really be functionally independent of the normal 5 senses. It's beyond them, covering a whole range of other things. It's a sense of emotions, life and magic. You don't 'see' auras, you perceive them in various ways that cannot be described to those who lack the ability, and if you ask any three people with astral perception to describe an aura, they'll all describe it differently, yet the same. "I see a woman with crackling hair, wings and a flaming sword", "I see a she-bear, whose cub is the bleeding world around her, under the blessings of the Great Spirit", "I see the shadow of a shield and a flaming sword upon her brow" it's all filtered through experiences and beliefs.

You shouldn't be able to see through a wall, because you can't. But you should be able to see through a window, because you can. The astral mirrors the physical.

Of course, it's my personal view that most of the facets of astral perception should still work. You should feel the ominous presence of the person crouched behind a low wall with an AK-98 that's about to full-auto down the hall at you.. but not quite be able to tell where he is.
nezumi
QUOTE (Dawnshadow)
[QUOTE=Sphynx,Dec 18 2006, 10:50 AM]
You shouldn't be able to see through a wall, because you can't. But you should be able to see through a window, because you can. The astral mirrors the physical.

So should you not be able to pass through either, because that too mirrors the real life? nyahnyah.gif

Again, I would not complain if the rules said 'you cannot astrally perceive through windows, however you can see through them, but you can also read while on the astral, because you have physical sight too.'

Of course, it's my personal view that most of the facets of astral perception should still work. You should feel the ominous presence of the person crouched behind a low wall with an AK-98 that's about to full-auto down the hall at you.. but not quite be able to tell where he is.

If you can't see him, you shouldn't be able to sense him in any way. Stealth still applies to astral perception.

That said, I do appreciate your description of astral perception. I might use that metaphorical language in my games now.

Dawnshadow
Stealth is different. You can make them make rolls for it -- because other then something as pervaisive as the Arcology, who lets the mage know that sort of thing without a roll? Just make them roll astral perception, just like any other perception test. If they can't physically see the person, they can't tell the position through astral perception. But they might be able to know they are there, by the emotional cues.

And again, this is entirely astral perception. Unless you're blind and deaf, you still have your senses of sight and hearing while astrally perceiving. So you should be able to read the street sign, or hear the conversation.

If you're astrally projecting, on the other hand, then you don't have physical senses. You have only the astral perception. Your brain might parse it into rough sense analogies, but you aren't using them. You can't read the sign because you can't see it. You can't hear the conversation because you don't have ears. You might be able to tell a great deal from emotions and so on, but you can't hear them say "Joe, you wait there with the shotgun, Jimmy, be ready with the flamethrower" -- you just sense "Plan." Possibly on a really, really good roll, 'ambush plan'.
nezumi
QUOTE (Dawnshadow)
If you're astrally projecting, on the other hand, then you don't have physical senses.

"Your astral form has normal human sense of sight and hearing." (page... 182?)

I do like your version better, but it's contrary to the rules.
SL James
QUOTE (Dawnshadow)
Astral perception should really be functionally independent of the normal 5 senses. It's beyond them, covering a whole range of other things. It's a sense of emotions, life and magic. You don't 'see' auras, you perceive them in various ways that cannot be described to those who lack the ability, and if you ask any three people with astral perception to describe an aura, they'll all describe it differently, yet the same. "I see a woman with crackling hair, wings and a flaming sword", "I see a she-bear, whose cub is the bleeding world around her, under the blessings of the Great Spirit", "I see the shadow of a shield and a flaming sword upon her brow" it's all filtered through experiences and beliefs.

Eh. It's just easier to use the Marvel Universe conception of the astral plane where it's basically the same senses, only not.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012