Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun 3rd Revised
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Community Projects
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
mmu1
QUOTE (SirBedevere @ May 26 2005, 03:58 AM)
I've never been on the wrong end of pepper spray, but I have been exposed to CS gas and it is very unpleasant!  Get a good(?) lungful of that and you have problems doing anything.

Perhaps, but like it's been said a couple of times, realism is not the only issue here.

The question is, does it make sense (given the way the game plays) for some of these weapons (which can bypass armor) to be more disabling than firearms? My feeling is no, which is why I bring it up.
Critias
If it did make sense, then every military officer in the world would train with pepper spray instead of a sidearm, no cop in the world would carry a firearm (they could have two cans of pepper spray, instead!), and the National Pepper Spray Association would sweep the nation and scoop up all the people who used to like firearms for hunting.
mmu1
QUOTE (Critias)
If it did make sense, then every military officer in the world would train with pepper spray instead of a sidearm, no cop in the world would carry a firearm (they could have two cans of pepper spray, instead!), and the National Pepper Spray Association would sweep the nation and scoop up all the people who used to like firearms for hunting.

Except that pepper spray has absolutely no range, but basically, yeah - it makes little real world or game sense.
SirBedevere
Good points all!

From the game-play perspective I agree that the weapons in mmb's point #3 should be adjusted. As for #2, yes please make shot firing shotguns easier to GM!

#4, it should be very difficult IMO to gas or poison someone in sealed armour but not impossible.

My 0.02 nuyen.gif
Kagetenshi
Shot-firing shotguns are very easy to GM as it stands. First you find out who is in the area of effect, and then you just declare them dead because not even Bubba the Love Troll has enough body to soak.

~J
lorthazar
I always just declared all armor hardened versus shot rounds. So if you are wearing even armored clothing at 90 meters you laugh at the idiot and return fire with your assault rifle.
GunnerJ
Page Requests and Topic Suggestions:

Magic
-Spells for which Force is (nearly) irrelevent
-Spells for which successes are irrelevent
-The anomaly of Spell Defense (the one and only situation in which one use of a skill is as a pool, and the trouble it causes)
-Make psionics useful, and yeah, I guess voodoo too
-Why can't my aspected Fire Elementalist cast Flamethrower, but his aspected Earth Elementalist can?
-A suggestion of my own devising I will bring up there (involves both making the base Drain TN for spellcasting equal to Force and ways of making it hurt less that make magic more interesting)

Cyberware
-Look at the costs (Essense and nuyen) to see if some are just whacked
-Make cyberlimbs useful as more than suitcases
-Sort of related, but can we have surgery rules that don't make my eyes bleed?

I'm sure I had more topics, but they've all flown from my mind now...
Kagetenshi
While we've got a fair bit more I want to do with Ranged Combat before I open up another topic, I want opinions on what people think the next one should be. My personal inclination is Rigging and Vehicles, but Magic or Cyberware are also high on the list. Any thoughts?

~J
Taran
I vote Magic. Rigging/vehicles is going to be a huge topic, laden with rules invention. Cyberware is going to be mostly a matter of fixing individual pieces, rather than fixing system-level problems with the rules (unless I'm wrong. Are there system-level problems with the way cyberware is handled? I don't mean surgery; the only fix for those rules is a bullet to the face).
Yoan
QUOTE (Taran)
I vote Magic. Rigging/vehicles is going to be a huge topic, laden with rules invention. Cyberware is going to be mostly a matter of fixing individual pieces, rather than fixing system-level problems with the rules (unless I'm wrong. Are there system-level problems with the way cyberware is handled? I don't mean surgery; the only fix for those rules is a bullet to the face).

Exactly.

But, with all due respect, shouldn't the current issues be hammered out completely (or at least something akin to 'completely'... remotely?) before delving into other aspects? Especially the quagmire that will be Rigging...
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Yoan @ Jul 5 2005, 03:12 PM)
But, with all due respect, shouldn't the current issues be hammered out completely (or at least something akin to 'completely'... remotely?) before delving into other aspects?

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
we've got a fair bit more I want to do with Ranged Combat before I open up another topic

I'd say so, yes smile.gif (I didn't mention Decking, but there's more I want to do there before branching out as well—I figure two active sections plus the main thread are about what I can juggle in my attention)

~J
Fortune
Magic.

For starters you should scrap the 'splitting' of the Sorcery skill, and make Spell Defence solely a function of Spell Pool.
Yoan
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Jul 5 2005, 03:25 PM)

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
we've got a fair bit more I want to do with Ranged Combat before I open up another topic

Ahhh... foot, meet mouth. I didn't see that at first. Sorry.

Unlike what Fortune said above me... I do think Sorcery needs to be split up, at least a tad. Or maybe his version could work out fine-- I'm slightly biased on it, heh.

I also believe that Decking should be split into smaller skills, as well. I don't know if anybody brought this up in the Decking thread...
Catsnightmare
I've offered my magician player some options ideas to playtest in the upcoming SR game (shoud it ever happen).
Amongst them is using Spell Defense as a simple use of the Sorcery skill (no Sorcery as pool bullshit) working like this.
Spell Pool dice is allocated to spell defense and can't be used for other magical tests. When using spell defense the magician rolls their Sorcery skill (plus allocated Spell Pool dice, minimum 1, up to Sorcery skill) to defend against the incomming spell as normal. Allocated Spell Pool dice can be divided up against multiple incomming spells. Once all the spell defense-allocated Spell Pool dice have been used, spell defense is not available until the Spell Pool refreshes next action and dice can be allocated to spell defence again.
Fortune
QUOTE (Yoan)
Unlike what Fortune said above me... I do think Sorcery needs to be split up, at least a tad. Or maybe his version could work out fine-- I'm slightly biased on it, heh.

I have no problem if you want to design a new skill called Spell Defence. What I am refering to is the current mechanic that requires you 'remove' dice from your 'effective' Sorcery skill in order to use Spell Defence (or Astral Combat).

As far as the last is concerned, I'm all for scrapping the Sorcery = Astral Combat rule as well.
Yoan
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Yoan @ Jul 6 2005, 03:29 PM)

I have no problem if you want to design a new skill called Spell Defence. What I am refering to is the current mechanic that requires you 'remove' dice from your 'effective' Sorcery skill in order to use Spell Defence (or Astral Combat).

As far as the last is concerned, I'm all for scrapping the Sorcery = Astral Combat rule as well.

Skills: Sorcery, Conjuring, Astral Combat, Spell Defence?

I don't know. Firearms is split up, but you don't NEED 'Assault Rifles' to survive. 'Pistols' is fine. But a Magic user without one of the above... well, I can imagine him to be somewhat weaker. Or maybe that's a good thing?

Like I said: biased. I'm a decker/gun guy.
ohplease.gif
Modesitt
Ok. I have two points to bring up, both of which will influence to a significant degree all of the other portions of the project.

1. We should avoid division and multiplication whenever we can. Things tend to break or become highly illogical when you start to multiply and divide things. We also need to establish what Order of Operations are in SR. Will we be using PEMDAS?

Ex. I'd prefer it if cyberware did NOT work based on multiplying essence. I'd prefer it just give a flat reduction. Like "For every 1 essence it normally costs, reduce its cost by .2" for alphaware.

2. Rounding. We need to establish one way in which rounding goes. It might be to the nearest whole number, up, or down, whatever. We just need to pick how we're going to round and make every single mechanic round in that same way, no exceptions.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Modesitt)
1. We should avoid division and multiplication whenever we can. Things tend to break or become highly illogical when you start to multiply and divide things.

I disagree completely. We should check how things look across the entire reasonable spectrum of play (I must admit, I have no objections to a rule that breaks down for skills over 30 or somesuch), but multiplication and division are not, to my mind, to be avoided in and of themselves. You actually give a perfect example of how things break down when you start removing them:
Ex. I'd prefer it if cyberware did NOT work based on multiplying essence.  I'd prefer it just give a flat reduction.  Like "For every 1 essence it normally costs, reduce its cost by .2" for alphaware.

So what happens when cyberware costs 1.5 Esssence? 1.7? .1? Either you're making the rule break places or you're just having the player figure out the division on their own.
We also need to establish what Order of Operations are in SR.  Will we be using PEMDAS?

I'm inclined to use PEMDAS, since it's what most people will be familiar with.
2. Rounding.  We need to establish one way in which rounding goes.  It might be to the nearest whole number, up, or down, whatever.  We just need to pick how we're going to round and make every single mechanic round in that same way, no exceptions.

That's probably a good idea. We'll see if that can't be implemented. Any thoughts, at the moment, which way to round?

~J
Dawnshadow
In regards to Modesitt:

1) Better to keep multiplication and division, and just not throw them in for no reason, or with unusual values. Keep it nice and simply (1, 2, 3, 5, 10). Most people can handle multiplying or dividing by those values.

PEDMAS: Best to be consistent with other mathematics. Fewer headaches.

2) Preferable to just use ordinary rounding rules, I think. Nearest value to the appropriate degree.
Modesitt
QUOTE ("Kagetenshi")
I disagree completely. We should check how things look across the entire reasonable spectrum of play

Ok. Here's my reasoning why -

When we start multiplying things, we can easily create situations where things get much bigger bonuses than they ought to. While just being careful of it all can work, I think a general policy of "Avoid multiplication and division except when actually necessary" is a good one.

Examples of where multiplication and division for bonuses or penalties makes people cry -
Adept Geasa: Since you multiply by .75 and round up(more on that in a second), you will never geas something that costs less than 1 PP.

The Wallhacker: Everyone know what this is? It involves applying multipliers to your strength bonus a few times.

Explosive Ammunition: It cuts barrier ratings in half. Do the math some time on how tough a barrier an Ares Predator loaded with ex-explosive rounds can shoot holes in and how many shots that takes.

QUOTE ("Kagetenshi")
So what happens when cyberware costs 1.5 Esssence? 1.7? .1?

In my defense, it was an off-the-cuff thought, not a fully-formed idea. Anyways, the way I thought of it was "For 1 or less essence, you get -.2. For between 1 and 2, you get -.4", etc. Yeah, it creates some break points, but since every single piece of cyberware has a fairly static essence price tag, you can build the rest of the system around that concept. You'd either end up with some cyberware not getting the full benefits or else some cyberware would be Essence-free if of high enough quality. I don't necesarily consider the latter thing to be a bad thing, maybe couple it with something like "Awakened calculate the magic cost of cyberware as if it were not upgraded" to prevent abuse. How exactly it worked tie into rounding rules.

QUOTE ("Kagtenshi")
Any thoughts, at the moment, which way to round?

Always round up. Shadowrun's dice system already rounds the TN up to 2 if it goes below that, so it'd somewhat follow the pattern. Plus, I think it fits the idea of the Shadowrun world that the corps are always screwing you out of that last nuyen.
Fortune
QUOTE (Yoan @ Jul 7 2005, 04:51 AM)

I don't think there's a need for an Astral Combat skill at all. It is only an option to duplicate other Melee skills on the Astral, and I think using the appropriate Melee skill works just fine. If the character doesn't have a Melee skill, then he is stuck using magic or defaulting, just as he would do in normal melee combat.

As for a Spell Defence skill, I think that is a better option than the current SR3 mechanics of splitting the Sorcery skill. I still prefer to just make Spell Defence solely a function of Spell Pool, but I could live with a separate skill as a compromise.
Yawgmoth
Sort out the vehical rules, they're a real nightmare! You have crash tests and maneuver scores to sort out, trying to convert speed into distance covered per combat turn. My group is missing out on epic car chases because it's just soooo much effort to do all the maths and figure out modifiers ect. Perhaps a "lite" version of the rules, where a simple skill test is made.

Downgrade magic - I'm getting sick of mages in the party centering then casting massive spells with no effort or drain. Personally speaking I'd scrap the half force for drain thingy.

Then again I might be talking utter rubbish and deserve to be flamed mercylessly!
Kagetenshi
No conversion necessary with Speed, as it's already listed in meters per combat turn. I'll let others kick around the rest of the ideas at the moment, though.

~J
Dawnshadow
Crippling mages to reduce the power of initiate mages would be a mistake, I think. Retooling the things that make them "too powerful" would be a better move. I know I'd hate to have to take a metamagic not to be useless after 3-4 spells.

What I'd rather see with magic is clarity and consistency. I don't actually have a problem with the power of mages, just that specific things aren't clear.

example: Sustained area spells like chaotic world -- does leaving the area free you of the spell? Does entering it subject you to the spell? I say yes to both -- it's a spell centred on an area, that's what makes sense. Other people say no, it's treated like chaos being hit on everyone within the area at the same time, with the same roll and only one drain test.
Yoan
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Yoan @ Jul 7 2005, 04:51 AM)

I don't think there's a need for an Astral Combat skill at all. It is only an option to duplicate other Melee skills on the Astral, and I think using the appropriate Melee skill works just fine. If the character doesn't have a Melee skill, then he is stuck using magic or defaulting, just as he would do in normal melee combat.

As for a Spell Defence skill, I think that is a better option than the current SR3 mechanics of splitting the Sorcery skill. I still prefer to just make Spell Defence solely a function of Spell Pool, but I could live with a separate skill as a compromise.

I don't think using the appopriate melee skill makes sense, unless I am way behind on my Astral Plane trivia. How about Charisma, or something like that? It makes sense to me, anyway.

indifferent.gif

As said: maybe I'm behind on my 'magical' knowledge, though.
GunnerJ
Crippling mages to reduce the power of initiate mages would be a mistake, I think. Retooling the things that make them "too powerful" would be a better move. I know I'd hate to have to take a metamagic not to be useless after 3-4 spells.

Especially considering how much karma you have to put into Centering to make it worthwhile (i.e., Centering at 4-6, an artistic skill at 4-6, and the actual initiation, which may include joining an initiatory group and paying dues).
Fortune
QUOTE (Yoan)
I don't think using the appopriate melee skill makes sense, unless I am way behind on my Astral Plane trivia. How about Charisma, or something like that? It makes sense to me, anyway.

Well, as canon stands, normal Melee skills are what are usually used when fighting hand-to-hand on the Astral. Sorcery is merely an option that can be used in place of Melee skills any time a person has access to the Astral..

Remember that not all combat on the Astral takes place between Projecting beings. Some combattants are Dual Beings, and/or are using Astral Perception. There is no reason why someone would use Charisma (or Sorcery) when they are still using the meat muscles when fighting.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Modesitt)
The Wallhacker: Everyone know what this is?  It involves applying multipliers to your strength bonus a few times.

Explosive Ammunition: It cuts barrier ratings in half.  Do the math some time on how tough a barrier an Ares Predator loaded with ex-explosive rounds can shoot holes in and how many shots that takes.

Never heard of Wallhacker. Anyone else familiar with this?

EX ammo: this is true, but in this case it's because it shouldn't be a multiplier in the first place. This just comes down the the devs not knowing math; if you want EX ammo to be 2-3 times as powerful then you just reduce the barrier rating by 1-2. Halving the barrier rating actually squares the power of the ammo (roughly) rather than multiplying it. So you're right in this case, but the conclusion you're drawing isn't.

QUOTE ("Kagtenshi")
Any thoughts, at the moment, which way to round?

Always round up. Shadowrun's dice system already rounds the TN up to 2 if it goes below that, so it'd somewhat follow the pattern. Plus, I think it fits the idea of the Shadowrun world that the corps are always screwing you out of that last nuyen.

I'd round *down*, actually. That's actually how it works in most cases already; the only times I can recall rounding up is on a few Pool calculations. Drain = half Force, round down; successes divide into base time, round down; Essence costs round down. Less has to change to implement the rule, so there's less breakage.
Eyeless Blond
(EDIT: double post)
Eyeless Blond
As for splitting up Sorcery and Computers... e, let's not. If we did stuff like split up a bunch of skills, we'd have to get more complicated in other ways as well: we'd have to raise skill points at chargen to allow compatable builds, and then provide restrictions on how skill points are spent to prevent cherry-picking of a bunch of useful but non-related abilities, etc etc. The point is quickly becomming moot anyway; note that in the ranged combat section there is already discussion about consolidating the ranged weapon skills, which kinda takes away the argument that "Firearms got broken up; let's break up Sorcery and Computers too!"

It's just more hassle than it's worth IMO; this is a revision, not a rewrite.
Modesitt
QUOTE ("Eyeless Blond")

Original post. It's a running gag, like having sex with a dikote'd ally spirit.

QUOTE ("Eyeless Blond")
This just comes down the the devs not knowing math

No, it's laziness. Regardless, I've probably made my point. Anyone working on this might stop and think for a moment about what they're doing before doubling or halving something, which was my goal. If you look over my recent post over on the Ranged Combat thread, I do double something at one point, so it's not like I'm the crazy guy on the street corner demanding we give up the number 9.

Ironically, the thing that needs fixing in what I wrote isn't what I doubled, it's what I added things together for(I did a double-whammy on gel rounds. -2 power AND ball+imp? Overkill). So the problem is more "Copying and pasting without thinking makes bad math".

QUOTE ("Eyeless Blond")
That's actually how it works in most cases already
Yes. This hit me yesterday as I went about double-checking the rules on a particular character. In most cases we already round down, so I'm going to change my mind and say that's where I lean now.

---

Also, I concur on splitting up the other skills. Don't do it folks, that'll just make baby jesus cry. SR4 can split up skills because they're already totally re-writing the system from the ground up. Plus, they're going BeCKs so diversification wont be as painful.
Modesitt
QUOTE ("Eyeless Blond")

Original post. It's a running gag, like having sex with a dikote'd ally spirit.

QUOTE ("Eyeless Blond")
This just comes down the the devs not knowing math

No, it's laziness. Regardless, I've probably made my point. Anyone working on this might stop and think for a moment about what they're doing before doubling or halving something, which was my goal. If you look over my recent post over on the Ranged Combat thread, I do double something at one point, so it's not like I'm the crazy guy on the street corner demanding we give up the number 9.

Ironically, the thing that needs fixing in what I wrote isn't what I doubled, it's what I added things together for(I did a double-whammy on gel rounds. -2 power AND ball+imp? Overkill). So the problem really is "Writing numbers down without actually checking what they look'll like in play.

QUOTE ("Eyeless Blond")
That's actually how it works in most cases already

Yes. This hit me yesterday as I went about double-checking the rules on a particular character. In most cases we already round down, so I'm going to change my mind and say that's where I lean now.

---

Also, I concur on splitting up the other skills. Don't do it folks, that'll just make baby jesus cry. SR4 can split up skills because they're already totally re-writing the system from the ground up. Plus, they're going BeCKs so diversification wont be as painful.
Fortune
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Jul 10 2005, 02:59 AM)
... the only times I can recall rounding up is on a few Pool calculations.

You also round up when calculating Maximum Attribute Ratings.

Incidently, which Pools round up?

I also think splitting the skills is not the optimum solution, but I really think something needs to be done with the current Sorcery/Spell Defence mechanic. My 'Spell Pool only' ruling for Spell Defence seems to work well in practice, and has the added benefit of pretty much halving the maximum amount of dice a character can assign in comparison to the current system.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Jul 10 2005, 02:59 AM)
... the only times I can recall rounding up is on a few Pool calculations.

And only then when you have the Exceptional Attribute Edge.

Incidently, which Pools round up?
Um, Hacking Pool I think.

Nope, actually I was thinking of Detection Factor, which does round up. All pools round down.

I also think splitting the skills is not the optimum solution, but I really think something needs to be done with the current Sorcery/Spell Defence mechanic. My 'Spell Pool only' ruling for Spell Defence seems to work well in practice, and has the added benefit of pretty much halving the maximum amount of dice a character can assign in comparison to the current system.

And it makes intuitive sense too; it's much like combat pool can be used to dodge, control pool can be used to help with crash tests, Hacking Pool can be used to help dodge attacks (Improvised defense rules), so can spell pool be used to help resist. It's good from a rules mastery point of view, which is what SR really is lacking in right now.
Dawnshadow
If spell pool is the only one that can be applied to spell defence, then for the sake of making it more consistent, it should probably not require allocating in advance. Same with reflection/absorbtion, although not shielding.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
QUOTE (Fortune)
And only then when you have the Exceptional Attribute Edge.

That's not actually accurate. I assume you're referring to the fact that a normal human has all 6/9s with no fractions to round, but a Troll's Quickness RML is 5 and the racial max is 8 without any edge whatsoever.

~J
Taran
It sounds like in SR3, the de-facto rule for rounding is "round in whichever direction helps the players".

I could live with that.
Eyeless Blond
Heh, except Pool rounds down, and so do a few other things that would help the player to round up. The rule was probably "round the opposite direction that everyone expects." smile.gif

Huh, I guess I read that section wrong then. Thanks Kag.
GunnerJ
QUOTE (Taran)
It sounds like in SR3, the de-facto rule for rounding is "round in whichever direction helps the players".

I could live with that.

Really? I always figured it was exactly the oppostie; you typically round whatever way that screws the players, from what I've seen in the rules.
Kagetenshi
Here's another question: what do people want to see done with the Contact rules? Personally, I'd love at the very least a mechanic for defining what a contact can do and to what degree, but that may introduce too much complexity. I'll flesh this out more later when I get more time.

~J
Taran
QUOTE (GunnerJ)
QUOTE (Taran @ Jul 10 2005, 04:41 PM)

I could live with that.

Really? I always figured it was exactly the oppostie; you typically round whatever way that screws the players, from what I've seen in the rules.

Doh, I forgot about pools. Also, about skill costs. There is no pattern.

WRT contacts: I don't think there's any harm in complexifying the contact rules. Contacts are just NPCs, so if the rules are too annoying for a particular situation, or if they don't make sense, it's easy to replace them with more roleplaying.

Mechanically, how about defining them along two axes (how well you know them, and how powerful they are)? That'd make it possible to become friends for life with the local bouncer without spending the equivalent of 1000kg of Compound 13. On the other hand, 'power' is a terribly relative measure so the power axis would likely boil down to some guidelines and a lot of GM's discretion.
Kagetenshi
I was planning on having several axes:
  • How well you know them/how much they care about you
  • How powerful they are (whether in terms of what they can do or what they can get; a powerful decker may be able to crack nasty systems for you or get you into Shadowland, while a powerful weapons dealer might be able to land you a PAC, and a powerful Face may know some guy who knows the head of security on the night you want to break into the corp compound)
  • How versatile they are (can they deck and program and talk someone into letting you into that black BBS, or are they just crackers? Do they just deal in weapons, or can they get you a fake ID, retinal duplication, and a Medium Transport as well?)
  • How close to whatever it is you get from them they are. Are they a direct dealer, or do they just set you up with someone, or do they set you up with someone who knows someone who knows someone? This affects cost (middlemen), risk (wrong party modifiers), and time (also middlemen)
A last axis, probably not one that's going to be a part of the cost calculation, would probably be "legality". Are they legit and horrified by the thought of armed robbery? Blackest of black most-wanted illegal? We could also add a fifth axis to the important ones that represents how many levels the contact works at (do they just do business with criminals, or will they direct you to a legal purchase if that's cheaper/better/whatever?), but that could be overly complex or not easy to implement well.

As an example (and I'll need to come up with a better one for everyone not in the Tuesday game), Sigrun would probably be medium/upper-medium along the Closeness axis, medium-high along the Power axis, relatively low along the Versatility axis, and quite high on the… hm. Immediacy? That fourth axis. As for legality, she'd range from reasonably deep black up to lower-end legit, but in her case that isn't something that shows up at the player's end so maybe it's an argument against that being a paid-for axis. As is obvious from this, SR3R contact levels will not necessarily translate cleanly from SR3 contact levels.

~J
GunnerJ
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Jul 14 2005, 06:04 PM)
Here's another question: what do people want to see done with the Contact rules? Personally, I'd love at the very least a mechanic for defining what a contact can do and to what degree, but that may introduce too much complexity. I'll flesh this out more later when I get more time.

~J

Ever heard of Risus? I've always wanted to use a system for contacts that just used the Risus Cliche system for contacts. So you have 10 points to spend on a contact (for instance). It costs nothing for him to just be a "contact," but L2 (Buddy) costs 3 points and L3 (Friend for Life) costs 5. Then, whatever skills left over get applied to Cliches like "Street Doc," or "Fixer." Hell, I wrote something up about all this for a set of SR houserules (Basically, I wanted to make a generic cyberpunk system out of Shadowrun). Here's what I had:

Basically, you got points to spend on contacts equal to x + CHA, where x increases dependant on where you put contact as a Priority (it was a Priority in this system), but it was the multiples of 5 from 5 to 25. Contacts are defined by two attributes: competency and familiarity. For any contact, it costs 1 point to have a simple acquaintance, 5 to have a buddy, and 10 to have a friend for life. Competency is bought at a one-for-one ratio, so that a contact with a competency of x costs x contact points.

Competency: This attribute describes how well the contact is in certain generalized fields that describe their "job." Those familiar with Risus will recognize this as the basic Cliche System. Examples of competency fields are Fixer, Street Doc, Informant... basically any of the contact archetypes. A contact can have multiple competency fields.

The GM should roll competency whenever the contact's ability to do something is in question. Use the field closest related to the task at hand; for example, roll Smuggler to see if the contact can transport something illegally, or Street Doc to see if a contact can heal a wound. Target numbers should be as for the skill being supplanted by competency. Contacts may have to perform tasks outside their chosen field; in these cases apply a TN modifier. For tasks closely related but not really within the contact's expertise (e.g., a Street Doc acquiring illegal drugs) add two to the TN. For tasks distantly related but with some similarities to a field (e.g., a Street Doc repairing cyberlimbs) add four to the TN. For a task completely out of the field's domain (e.g., a Street Doc firing an assault cannon) add eight to the TN.

In combat, competency fields can be used for combat skill rolls where applicable. When a contact needs to use a specific attribute, apply the closest field applicable (e.g., Talismonger for resisting a spell, Street Samurai for damage resistance rolls), and apply TN modifiers for unrelated fields if they need to be used. An applicable competency field can be used to help find gear for characters; simply roll against the availability. In general, it is up to the Gm's discretion to decide what tasks fall within a competency field.

Familiarity:As described in the character generation section, these are the acquaintance/buddy/friend for life distinction from SR3. They work in exactly the same way.

It's a bit rough, but I liked it. Never tried it though.
GunnerJ
Here's an example of what can be done with such a system:

Given 20 points you could get...

A badass mage whose life you saved when he nearly killed himself from drain; his magical group has an oath that you must show your gratitude for one who saves your life by treating that person as a brother or sister.

Friend for Life (10pts)
Combat Mage 6 (6pts)
Conjuror 4 (4pts)

OR

A competant arms dealer who sort of knows you...

Contact (1pt)
Gun Runner 5 (5pts)
Smuggler 3 (3pts)

...and a good street doc who you're friendly with.

Buddy (5pts)
Street Doc 6 (6pts)

Again, this system is sort of a quickie abstraction, and it doesn't jive perfectly with SR rules, but for quick resolution of a contact's abilities and greater player control over said abilities, I think it does well.
Kagetenshi
As a note, I'm currently working on my contact-rules rework. I'll be diving back into ranged combat once I've got something presentable here.

~J
Catsnightmare
And as soon as my job slows down from 50 hours a week, I'll post my version of the revised rigging/driving rules.
Juggernaut125
In re: to contacts, I was just thinking about this this morning. I would change the classification for each contact as follows (instead of the contact, friend, buddy): 1. Informed. 2. Lucrative or 3. Support. And then, give them a Professional Rating to determine how effective they are in their given field of expertise. All contacts purchased at char gen are Prof. Rating 1. These ratings can be raised using money or karma.

1. Informed Contacts. This is your legwork contact, regularly purchased at 5K nuyen. She's the one that knows the stuff you're trying to find out. Examples of these contacts would be; Bartenders, Secretaries, Tribesmen, Reporters, and so on.

2. Lucrative Contacts. These characters run a business that you find useful for maintaining your characters lifestyle. Taking a lucrative contact at 10k nuyen should perhaps give you a bonus, determined by that contacts Prof. Rating. Ie. An Armorer, rating 1, may be able to give a 1 to 5 % discount on the purchase of firearms. Examples of Lucrative Contacts are; Amorer, Deckmeister, Street Doc, Talismonger, etc.

3. Support Contacts. These characters are basically other runners, to fill gaps in a campaign where a runner might be needed but no PCs or NPCs are available. At 200k, they're still expensive to buy at char gen, but then again, it might help to have a second mage on your stat sheet if you want to put together a magic group.
Obviously, any archetype could be a Support Contact. And Corp. Rigger, Decker, Mage and so on, would also classify.

Any thoughts?
Stumps
Just a quick question:

First, though, I think this is a great venture that all of you are taking.

Question I have is: Is there a Site where all of this compiled revision can be read or downloaded (hopefully in some PDF format or the like) in the plans somewhere down the line?
Kagetenshi
Yes. A whois on sr3r.net may be enlightening smile.gif

~J
Kagetenshi
From Astral Space, Essence, and the Awakened:
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
I personally think that Open Tests should have been dumped back in SR2. They were kinda cute for the Rocker and Reporter rules in Shadowbeat, but other than that, they are probably one of the most unbalanced and awful elements of the SR3 system. They violate the main mechanic (roll xd6 vs. a TN) and only serve to create exceptions to rules, and contributes to the "one game: many systems" syndrome that Shadowrun suffers from.

First, I want to put my personal bias on the table. While I'm against needless complexity, I am a big fan of the "one game, many systems" aspect—in my opinion it is one of the greatest strengths of Shadowrun. If one grows tired of the way melee works they can switch to a pistol. If they grow tired of that, time for a decker. If they get sick of having a TN of over 2, they make a Rigger ( wink.gif ). So on and soforth.

That said, I'd like explanation of how, in your opinion, open tests unbalance the game. The best way to convince me would be to come up with an elegant replacement for open tests (even in just one area, say Stealth), but poking enough holes in the current system is enough to get me to start looking for an alternative myself.
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Oh, and while I'm dragging up old dead threads, remember this? Any possability of adding any of that into SR3R? I mean, as long as we're fixing really stupid bits inherent in the system...

Mm. Well, I'd like to hear additional comments on it, but at first glance I don't think it's a good idea. Particularly the VCR would have to be dramatically reworked/rebalanced to fit in with this.

That said, the rigging rules are going to see a serious overhaul anyway, so that'll offer more chances for something like this to slip in. Still, anyone else have feedback on it?

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012