Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun 3rd Revised
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Community Projects
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Jrayjoker
For system tests as well as combat?

I was under the (perhaps mistaken) impression that the system tests were at the superfast rate and only combat was based on the 3 second round.
The Question
If your planning on keeping all of the games background information (Which Im assuming you would, who would want to change it???) perhaps you could include some sort of primer on Earthdawn links somewhere, as making sense of it all can sometimes be a little confusing for novices such as myself!!!
Kagetenshi
Nope. I mean, there's an initiative kick (so Deckers will almost always have more passes than their comparably-equipped meatfellows), but other than that things work on the same pass system within the three-second turn. Because of Hacking Pool, non-combat, non-highly-rushed actions tend to occur more like once every three seconds.

The Question: That's what we have Ancient History for biggrin.gif

~J
Papadoc
QUOTE (BitBasher)
QUOTE (psykotisk_overlegen @ Apr 14 2005, 02:31 PM)
A legality system that makes sense. Right now you'll need a permit for an AP and another one for your browning max power and another one for your Ares light fire. I mean, you can avoid this by carrying multiples of the same gun, but in most countries a permit to carry a pistol is a permit to carry any pistol. Also, it should be possible to get a permit for anything that are used by others than the military. (i.e. if security corps can carry it on the street, there should be a permit for it)

No, really it isn't. I live in Nevada, one of the more liberal laws realted to carry and in order to carry I have to have on me the blue card for every specific gun I happen to be carrying. For each individual gun I carry concealed I have to pay 25 bucks to have it added to my CCW, specifically by serial number. That's after qualifying for the gun, and waiting a few months. I have to say SR is pretty much right on. Licencing is headed twords more specific, not less specific to boot.

Furthermore, as an individual there's no good reason to have a permit available to carry anything that a security company can carry. You aren't a security company. If you're a licenced bodyguard you'll have a security permit anyway. Even security companies carry lethal force in SR anyway, about half of them are only rated for nonlethal force.

Hate to break it to you, but here in Missouri we are issued a CCW, (after taking a CCW class tought by a certified instructor and passing a criminal background check), which is a "endorsement" on our drivers license. This is good for ANY concealed weapon we wish to carry. And in our private vehicles we can carry loaded and concealed any weapon we so choose, without any permit (other than any that are required by law i.e. Class-3 full auto), and this at age 21 to boot.
Eyeless Blond
Reposted from another discussion; thought it might have relevance here:

As for too much cyber at chargen issue, I'd be perfectly fine ditching the million and 650k nuyen.gif options at chargen. In fact I'd go further, stretching the resource priorities into:

-5pts = 500Y
0pts = 5000Y
5pts = 20,000Y
10pts = 65,000Y
15pts = 125,000Y
20pts = 250,000Y
25pts = 400,000Y

or maybe even more, making 400kY the 30-pt option:

-5pts = 500Y
0pts = 5000Y
5pts = 20,000Y
10pts = 50,000Y
15pts = 90,000Y
20pts = 150,000Y
25pts = 250,000Y
30pts = 400,000Y

The changed resource limit would work just fine provided thus:

1) Make it so deckers don't have to pay so damn much for their programs (currently the decker is the main reason for the million nuyen option anyway).
2) Try not to let riggers get too screwed by it.
3) Cyberlimbs (Edit: and maybe a few other selected bits of 'ware) get lowered in cost, possibly just cutting their base price to a fifth or a tenth of what it is right now.
4) Surgery rules aren't *as* horrifically difficult and prone to failure post-chargen. In particular the "Essence hole" option should be automatic rather than a positive option.

The problem with doing this is that it means that sams start right out of chargen muc weaker than they are now, and the power disparity between mage and sam will become obvious much earlier (say the 150-200 karma mark instead of 350+).
Eldritch
I don't know if I like that one - I don't have a problem with char gen - or too much cyber at char gen.

I think I'd just leave the char gen rules alone, and offer some options for different campaign levels.

I like having a charcter that is in the middle of their career. I'm quite tired of playing '1st level' characters.

As was mentioned in anoyther discussion, I think that is one of SR's draws. Characters that are capable of doing 'great things'.

And if you do limit the nuyen, there by limiting beginning cyber, then what about the magic chars? Limit those as well?

No, I'd rather see the chargen rules stay as is.

Kagetenshi
Eyeless: I looked around and couldn't find that discussion, what problem is that supposed to fix?

~J
Eyeless Blond
The problem people seem to be objecting to is that the mllion nuyen option makes characters--sams in particular, but also riggers--too powerful at chargen. I can *kinda* see where this is coming from, and now that you're streamlining the Matrix rules and getting rid of a lot of the operational utilities the main reason for the million nuyen option (so the decker doesn't get screwed) goes away. Note that this doesn't mean that starting characters get that much weaker; all it does is keep sams and riggers from being too incredibly powerful right out of the gate.
Kagetenshi
While I don't like the sound of it right now, I'll put it on the list for discussion. I personally think it makes the most sense to do chargen changes, if any, last so that they can be balanced against a final ruleset rather than one that's subject to change.

~J
The_Eyes
[dammit; wrong nick again]
Eyeless Blond
Actually I think it might be a good idea to resolve the issue of the level of resources at chargen right now. For instance, if we did this then we wouldn't have to mess with the multipliers on the programs in the Decker thread; since the average wealth level is decreasing you can decrese the amount of cash the decker needs to spend on programs to compensate.
Kagetenshi
Accounts, man, accounts.

I disagree that a million nuyen makes streetsams too powerful at chargen. Riggers you've got an argument, but they're massively overpowered anyway.

~J
Dawnshadow
A million nuyen is a lot for a starting Sam, unless they're getting massive amounts of alphaware.. 400k is more than I use on one when I create them. Means I tend to have a lot of toys as well as a lifestyle bought for several months. I wouldn't know what to do with a million nuyen. Wouldn't know if it's overpowered either. Only time I've seen a million nuyen street sam, he was a bit of a moron, so we cut him up and sold him. Didn't seem too tough...

That being said, I kindof like the option.. given enough time to create the character, you can play the rich punk with more alphaware stuffed in him then sense, all plugged in out of teenage rebellion because it's 'cool'..
wagnern
also, a million allows some broadness in charictors. If you are in a small party and you dont' want to have to farm out too much stuff, with a million new yen you can have one Sam buy a decent car with some upgrades, while another might aford a ok deck and some programs, neather can cope with a full rigger or decker, but they can help cover the bases for a small team.
Catsnightmare
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Accounts, man, accounts.

I disagree that a million nuyen makes streetsams too powerful at chargen. Riggers you've got an argument, but they're massively overpowered anyway.

~J

And they can get massively unpowered real fast as well.
Try replacing those lost drones or vehicles after character creation.

My only rigger char incurred net loss of over 500,000 nuyen (two drones and the helo we flew in on) in a single run that only payed out 25,000 divided among the whole team of six.
Link
25000/6 = 4166 which would barely pay the monthly insurance premiums. Your rigger does have insurance right?

While we're on it, if a PC can get health insurance (such as DocWagon, who'll come into a warzone on the right plan) why couldn't a character get vehicle insurance for such instances?

Back on topic: When does SR3R - Rigger Reflux start?
Kagetenshi
I'm hoping to get back into the swing of things with the Matrix and have a lot of major issues sorted by the end of the week, end of next week at the latest. After that I intend to move on to Rigging, though there was a motion above to get into Ranged Combat. Rigging is still the most likely second place, though people are free to chime in with their preferred next directions (and, as always, to continue offering suggestions for unopened sections here).

~J
mmu1
Things I'd like to see changed, off the top of my head:

1. Vehicular armor and drones - there's got to be a better way than the current, binary "immune to weapons so you might as well spit on it / can actually be hurt, so it's dead meat because of very low Body" system.

1a. Revise the costs of repairing damaged or disabled drones, so riggers don't go broke because of lost drones, or protect their drones at all costs even if it means more risk for the other flesh and blood team members.

2. Immunity to Normal Weapons - same problem with binary outcomes as in point #1.

3. Problems with the current initiative system and melee combat - namely, the issue with people effectively getting punished for having multiple actions if they go up against someone more skilled than they are.

4. At the very least, a look at the way combat skills have either been split up and grouped, with an eye for something that makes more sense. Not a comeback to SR2 and a 'Firearms" skill, but something that makes more sense than assault rifles and rifles being different skills, and harpoons and claymores both falling under "Polearms".

5. A revision of all chemical and poison-based weapons, to make sure that being hit with pepper spray is not a lot more debilitating than being shot twice with a large-caliber handgun. (also, clear and reasonable rules on how armor affects chemical delivery systems like the narcojet)

6. Improvement (or removal of) called shot rules, since the current ones make no sense.
Kagetenshi
Oh hell yeah. Called shot for anything other than special effect is gone.

Regarding 1a, sorry embarrassed.gif

~J
mmu1
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Oh hell yeah. Called shot for anything other than special effect is gone.

Regarding 1a, sorry embarrassed.gif

~J

I don't think I can remember Alex every doing that sort of thing - or not to any significant extent, anyway. I was mainly going by instances I remember reading about on the boards, but it seems you have a guilty conscience... wink.gif
Kagetenshi
Well, I was specifically thinking about when we were at that tunnel intersection and the zombies lobbed a grenade our way, and my Strato raped physics in its hasty exit…

~J
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
And and my Strato raped physics in its hasty exit…

~J

And thats why i'm backing Riggers for the next disscusion
mmu1
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Well, I was specifically thinking about when we were at that tunnel intersection and the zombies lobbed a grenade our way, and my Strato raped physics in its hasty exit…

~J

I guess, but it's not like it'd have made my guy any safer if you did stay in the blast radius, and you were still able to fire on them.
hahnsoo
I disagree when it comes to changing either point-values or priorities for character generation. Remember, this is a revision, not an overhaul. Changing things to be more streamlined is one thing, but changing character generation invalidates current SR3 books, and that's not the goal here (at least, I don't think it is). Adding the rules from MJLBB for high-powered and low-powered campaigns to the current character generation schemes should be reasonable enough.

I'm sure we'll discuss riggers and hardened/vehicular armor in another thread coming up. My thought is that there should be at least one additional method to harm hardened armor other than AV ammo/rockets. Or at least, an "optional rule" section on common tactics to take out drones/vehicles without pulling out the big guns. I think mechanics-wise, hardened armor works fine, but the examples of vehicles/drones with hardened armor hits both extremes (all or none)... it's either Steel Lynx or Mini-blimp. The addition of ablative armor (from Rigger 3 Revised and SOTA:2064) helps, but it should be listed with the main rules.
mmu1
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
I disagree when it comes to changing either point-values or priorities for character generation. Remember, this is a revision, not an overhaul. Changing things to be more streamlined is one thing, but changing character generation invalidates current SR3 books, and that's not the goal here (at least, I don't think it is). Adding the rules from MJLBB for high-powered and low-powered campaigns to the current character generation schemes should be reasonable enough.

Unless the changes to character generation were extreme, the only effect will be that existing PCs and NPCs would now be slightly more or slightly less powerful compared to starting-level PCs - and that's something that's bound to happen anyway if you revise the system.

I happen to think revising at least some of the aspects of character generation is neecessary - things like costs for playing a metahuman, the costs of playing ghouls and shapeshifters, etc.
Kagetenshi
Eh? Ablative armor helps? You need to hit a vehicle with an attack Power three times the adjusted armor value to reduce the value!

Wait. Ablative armor says it isn't hardened and doesn't stage damage. Does that mean it also takes that away from the vehicle it's on? If so, why would anyone take it?

~J
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Eh? Ablative armor helps? You need to hit a vehicle with an attack Power three times the adjusted armor value to reduce the value!

Wait. Ablative armor says it isn't hardened and doesn't stage damage. Does that mean it also takes that away from the vehicle it's on? If so, why would anyone take it?

~J

It helps when coming up with a gradient of armor, because you can just stick it onto vehicles that normally do not have armor. Because you add it point-by-point, you can reasonably come up with a wide variety of armored vehicles, other than the "no armor VW Electro" to the uber-armored "Mobmaster Xtreme" and nothing in between.
Kagetenshi
You can do that with regular armor too, and you don't have the problem of making the vehicle in question instantly security-grade (if not military-grade).

~J
Kagetenshi
Still working on Decking, but I wanted to toss this idea out and let it get batted about: some cyberware is marked as "Common" and the Used price for that cyber is divided by something large like 4. The intention of this would be to make certain cyber (spurs, low-end cyberlimbs, etc.) more feasible for ganger-type characters. Opinions or alternate suggestions?

~J
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
You can do that with regular armor too, and you don't have the problem of making the vehicle in question instantly security-grade (if not military-grade).

~J

Only if you construct or modify custom vehicles. 90% of the time, GMs will use stats for stock vehicles, and as it stands right now, there isn't much variety in terms of vehicle armor.
Cain
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

Accodring to the errata, ablative armor is capped at 3. So, a heavy pistol can strip it away.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Cain)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Apr 19 2005, 06:16 AM)

Accodring to the errata, ablative armor is capped at 3. So, a heavy pistol can strip it away.

Erm, you still have to halve the power of the weapon before you apply it against vehicle armor. So you have to have something like a Panther Cannon without AV rounds to strip it all away.

Ablative armor isn't something that you can find on an average street vehicle. However, it's a convenient way to add armor that's low-cost/low-maintenance for non-SOTA security companies. Any idiot can install the stuff.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Cain)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Apr 19 2005, 06:16 AM)

1) Each point is two points of Armor, so unless that HP is Power 18 it isn't going to be stripping anything away.

2) This is on top of any and all vehicular armor, and since ablative armor is security-grade minimum there's almost certainly going to be some.

~J
SirBedevere
I've been thinking about your suggestions for cyberware, and these are my ideas for items that could be called 'Common':
  • Chipjack
  • Cyberears
  • Cybereyes
  • Datajack (should be very cheap)
  • Subvocal microphone
  • Telephone
  • Cyberlimbs (BTW I think their Essence cost should be 0.5)
  • Autoinjector
  • Biomonitor system
  • Handblade
  • Handrazors
  • Smartlink (I'm not too sure about this one though)
  • Spur

BTW, I'm assuming you're talking about 2060s tech, not 2070. While these items may not be the most useful to gangers etc., I think that they would be the most 'common' of used items.
Kagetenshi
Right now I'm still focusing on the SR1-3 canon timeframe of 2050-2065.

~J
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (SirBedevere)
I've been thinking about your suggestions for cyberware, and these are my ideas for items that could be called 'Common':
  • Chipjack
  • Cyberears
  • Cybereyes
  • Datajack (should be very cheap)
  • Subvocal microphone
  • Telephone
  • Cyberlimbs (BTW I think their Essence cost should be 0.5)
  • Autoinjector
  • Biomonitor system
  • Handblade
  • Handrazors
  • Smartlink (I'm not too sure about this one though)
  • Spur

Good list.
I personally think that the Biomoniter system should take a lot less essence then it currently does along with the telephone, but thats a different thread.
SirBedevere
Thanks for the clarification Kagetenshi.

Shockwave, I agree with you, but as you say that's for another thread.
Eyeless Blond
Maybe not the subvocal mike, though. What would a ganger need with that, and why would such a specialized item be cheap? A cybergun, though, and cyberskates I could see being cheap. How about autoinjectors, and dermal plating? Maybe wired Reflexes 1 (but not the Reflex Trigger)?
Kagetenshi
Ironically enough Boosted Reflexes would not make sense, as it can't be pulled out of someone and reused. I may follow Doc Funk's lead and introduce the "bad batch" with the same modifications as used, though.

~J
Eyeless Blond
Well you can certainly *try* and take the chemical treatment out of the nerves. Just melt the whole body in a big vat, then filter out the chemicals you want... biggrin.gif
SirBedevere
I did say that all the items wouldn't be useful to gangers etc. The items I mentioned are those that IMO would be 'common' as used cyberware. I can see many people wanting the subvocal microphone so that they can speak on the phone without others hearing.

Cyberskates? Yes, quite possibly. Cybergun, I'm not so sure about. What do other people think about it?
Kagetenshi
Right, well, I'm still primarily focusing on the Matrix rules, but I realize that they're not an area that most people have a lot of experience with. I was originally going to go to Vehicle rules next, but it was pointed out that a lot of that stuff has major prerequisites. Therefore, I'd like to open discussion for what will be the next thread to be opened: Ranged Combat.

What do you want to see?

~J
Modesitt
I'm assuming that one of your goals IS NOT making combat 'more realistic'.

Suggestion #1: Changing how damage is staged up. New way -

Step 1: Attacker attacks and counts up successes.
Step 2: Defender dodges, subtracts successes from attackers successes, must get one more success than attacker rolled to completely dodge.
Step 3: Stage up damage. For every 2 beyond deadly raise power by one.
Step 4: Soak.

A lot of people play this way anyways. It changes combat in a few ways.
1. The peculiar adept who shoots people with shot rounds at a TN that is always 2 and simply ends up with so many successes that they simply don't have enough dice to stage it down completely - He simply no longer works.

2. It shifts the system in favor of the defender at the higher end. A defender no longer needs to eliminate all of the successes beyond deadly in order to have a chance to stage down damage, he simply needs to get two successes to bring it down to Serious.

3. It makes the ranged and melee combat systems work the same, assuming you don't change melee too.

Suggestion #1.5 - Slant combat in favor of the defender in both melee and ranged.
Make it so you only need to eliminate all of an attackers successes at dodge to get a clean miss in both ranged combat and melee. I don't like tests going to one party or the other in ties. It feels wrong for someone to be able to successfully hit someone without any net successes.

Suggestion #2 - More modifiers outlined.

I'd like to see more modifiers for ranged combat outlined. For example, modifiers for shooting at prone people, modifiers for shooting at really fast things, etc.

Suggestion #3 - Make the called shot rules work.
In my opinion, we should make the idea of a called shot absolutely unappealing for anything but dramatic purposes, like shooting someone in the leg to stop them from getting away, shooting the gun out of the bad guys hand, etc. We should not reward PCs for having every single shot be a called shot to the head.

Suggestion #4 - Make shotgun rounds stop qualifying as WMDs.
I realize I said wasn't advocating more realism...But I'm going to make an exception here and say that this is so immersion-shattering it isn't even funny. 10 meter wide cone of death? No.
Kagetenshi
Indeed, making combat more realistic is not one of my goals. I have no problem with it being a side-effect, but it's not a primary focus.

Regarding changing melee combat, it will likely see alterations as well.

More on the rest when I've thought about it a bit more. Regarding #3, called shots for anything but special effect do not exist in SR3R.

~J
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (Modesitt)
Suggestion #1: Changing how damage is staged up. New way -

Step 1: Attacker attacks and counts up successes.
Step 2: Defender dodges, subtracts successes from attackers successes, must get one more success than attacker rolled to completely dodge.
Step 3: Stage up damage. For every 2 beyond deadly raise power by one.
Step 4: Soak.

A lot of people play this way anyways. It changes combat in a few ways.
1. The peculiar adept who shoots people with shot rounds at a TN that is always 2 and simply ends up with so many successes that they simply don't have enough dice to stage it down completely - He simply no longer works.

While i like this suggestion i do have one issue with it. People with high Body and good armour, become VERY difficult to as they now only need 2 Success to survive in fighting form. Though i do totally see your point about, Burst Firing Shotgun Adepts, think that a "Down and out" Damage lvl is needed. Perhaps, instead of all success past deadly staging power, perhaps only those past the first two? Thus even Trolls and Orks have to worry, But because their high Body, the will still bleed out slowly then mere mortals.
mmu1
Ok, let's see...

1. Think about whether any revision needs to be done to the ranged weapon skills themselves. I'm not saying go back to having "Firearms" like in SR2, but the current system goes too far in the opposite direction, IMO.

2. Shotguns. Scrap the current idiotic system entirely - my suggestion would be something simple, like having shot rounds reduce the TN required to hit slightly in exchange for a noticeable drop in power. Realism might not be a primary goal here, but a line has to be drawn somewhere...

3. More of a general combat issue - since realism is not a primary concern, silly shit like dart guns, narcojet, gas grenades, even freakin' pepper spray should be adjusted for game balance, so that getting hit with pepper spray is not more disabling than taking a solid hit from a light pistol, and so on.

4. Clearly define the rules for chemical and poison delivery vs. an armored target.

5. Again, going off topic a bit, but it happens in all kinds of combat: Clarify and simplify the rules for things catching fire... nyahnyah.gif

6. Make the Cannon Companion modifers for varying amounts of cover a part of the core rules.

I know there was more stuff I had in mind, but my memory is being flaky, so more later. Probably...
Kagetenshi
Regarding #5, should I be making sure to clarify and simplify the rules for lighting zombies on fire? wink.gif

~J
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Papadoc)
QUOTE (BitBasher @ Apr 14 2005, 04:52 PM)
QUOTE (psykotisk_overlegen @ Apr 14 2005, 02:31 PM)
A legality system that makes sense. Right now you'll need a permit for an AP and another one for your browning max power and another one for your Ares light fire. I mean, you can avoid this by carrying multiples of the same gun, but in most countries a permit to carry a pistol is a permit to carry any pistol. Also, it should be possible to get a permit for anything that are used by others than the military. (i.e. if security corps can carry it on the street, there should be a permit for it)

No, really it isn't. I live in Nevada, one of the more liberal laws realted to carry and in order to carry I have to have on me the blue card for every specific gun I happen to be carrying. For each individual gun I carry concealed I have to pay 25 bucks to have it added to my CCW, specifically by serial number. That's after qualifying for the gun, and waiting a few months. I have to say SR is pretty much right on. Licencing is headed twords more specific, not less specific to boot.

Furthermore, as an individual there's no good reason to have a permit available to carry anything that a security company can carry. You aren't a security company. If you're a licenced bodyguard you'll have a security permit anyway. Even security companies carry lethal force in SR anyway, about half of them are only rated for nonlethal force.

Hate to break it to you, but here in Missouri we are issued a CCW, (after taking a CCW class tought by a certified instructor and passing a criminal background check), which is a "endorsement" on our drivers license. This is good for ANY concealed weapon we wish to carry. And in our private vehicles we can carry loaded and concealed any weapon we so choose, without any permit (other than any that are required by law i.e. Class-3 full auto), and this at age 21 to boot.

Here is Georgia you just walk into any courthouse, pay $25, an dprove you are over 21. They do a background check to make sure your not a felon but not much of one. The CCW can be used for any legaly owned weapon and can be presented at gunstores to exempt you from background checks and any associated waiting periods.
Fresno Bob
...so that getting hit with pepper spray is not more disabling than taking a solid hit from a light pistol, and so on.

This is probably wrong, but isn't one of the selling points of Pepper Spray that it incapacitates people better than a pistol?
SirBedevere
I've never been on the wrong end of pepper spray, but I have been exposed to CS gas and it is very unpleasant! Get a good(?) lungful of that and you have problems doing anything.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012