Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun 3rd Revised
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Community Projects
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
nezumi
Let me turn this around and ask how you'd do several activities with a credstick (since I'm under the impression that they serve most purposes of a wallet, much like the SR4 commlink):

Purchase a soda from a soda machine
Lend nuyen.gif 5 to a friend
Present ID at a border crossing
Send a new acquaintance your business card

The only one I can imagine is at the border crossing and the soda machine, they have a device you plug the credstick into. Everything else, I have no concept of how it'd work.
Chance359
2nd ed BBB p.245

"A credstick... is a small plastic cylinder tapering to a point. The blunt end houses a computer. The chip in the credstick contains the owner's SIN, cred balance, financial records, and resume, as wells a s passcodes for the owner's locks. When used to conduct transactions or access the owner's records or property, the credstick transmits identificaion data from a simple ID number (standard) or a thumbprint (silver stick), or a retinal pattern (platinum sticks) to a back or lock."

"Credsticks record transactions not alread in the financial computer network, but they must be periodically connected to the network to vailidate such transactions."

So from the sound of it, credsticks work wirelessly. Now how you interface with something that sounds like an icepick is beyond me.
Kagetenshi
The same way Robocop used his dataspike.

(Not liable for injury resulting from following the instructions in this post)

~J
Chance359
I understand how you'd connect with terminals and what not. but would it be a wireless connection with other credsticks? and then how do you tell the stick what to do?
Sir_Psycho
QUOTE (nezumi)
Let me turn this around and ask how you'd do several activities with a credstick (since I'm under the impression that they serve most purposes of a wallet, much like the SR4 commlink):

The only one I can imagine is at the border crossing and the soda machine, they have a device you plug the credstick into. Everything else, I have no concept of how it'd work.

For five nuyen.gif I imagine you'd probably have that in physical money in your pocket. Alternatively, does anyone remember that picture from Cannon Companion in the applied simsense chapter, where the guy is going nuts on a BTL while slotting his money into a little device his dealer is holding, that displays how much money is being transferred?

As for an acquaintance/business card situation. You wouldn't use a credstick at all. You'd use your telephone/P-sec/Telecom/etc. A credstick probably wouldn't have anything to do with it.
nezumi
So should we assume that almost as popular as the credstick is the credstick reader, which is about the size of a pocket calculator? Because at $12k a pop, I'd imagine they're pretty unusual. Reading the books, while paper money exists, it too is pretty unusual (which is why runners are paid in certified credsticks, not paper cash, even though paper cash is harder to trace).

I never assumed the things worked wirelessly. Shadowrun has never been big on wireless until SR4. The pointy end goes into the credstick reader.

As for an acquaintance/business card situation. You wouldn't use a credstick at all. You'd use your telephone/P-sec/Telecom/etc.

Are you talking about your cell phone? I suppose that makes sense, but considering everything is already on your credstick, and EVERYONE has a credstick while not everyone has a $50, 1kg cell-phone or a $2,000 .5kg pocket secretary, hence the ability to exchange personal data easily would be incorporated into the credstick. Maybe another function of the $12k credstick reader?

I still suggest this issue needs to be clarified. Either we have a lot more use for paper money, paper cards, etc. (which seems counter to the cyberpunk theme and Shadowrun canon) or the credstick is a lot more like the commlink in SR4.

An unrelated note, I'm assuming some people have multiple credsticks (so if they lose one, they don't starve out in the street). I also think it'd be interesting if someone replaced the sensor from the credstick for retinal scanning with a real laser that would kill the user. Talk about a way to assassinate someone!
nezumi
I was talking with my wife about SR3R and SOTA65 and she said she would love to help, specifically by contributing art. She's a professional freelance web visual graphics design artist person fellow who draws pictures. I told her that guns are a popular thing, and even though they aren't her preferred style, she'd be happy to do her own research, sketch stuff up and, of course, get feedback. However, anything else people feel as being valid (racial profiles, vehicles, dragons, whatever) she'll go for. All she has to know is what needs to be done. Of course, she is limited in how much she can do, since it takes a few hours to do a complete picture.

She's put some sketches up here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11139177@N00/

(Yes, there are pictures of me too. I'm sure everyone will be surprised to see I'm not really a 6'11", 240lb troll named Brock.)

So people are aware, some of the pictures have b00b13s and may not be appropriate for work, unless your boss is a guy and can also appreciate a good b00b13 when he sees one.

So yes, if people have a suggestion on what she should draw, go ahead and give it. If people decide the drawing is not up to snuff, you can not include it or she can fix it given solid criticism.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (nezumi)
(Yes, there are pictures of me too. I'm sure everyone will be surprised to see I'm not really a 6'11", 240lb troll named Brock.)

It would be awesome if you were a midget troll smile.gif

WRT credsticks, I always envisioned them being able to perform stick-to-stick transfers—presumably via little receptors in the rounded end of the stick. Or maybe there's a little adapter that doubles as a carrying case that most people have, or something.

I certainly don't see credstick transactions going wireless, but then I usually overestimate general intelligence. Though I guess in Shadowrun doing it without a dedicated computer would mean using the broadcast encryption rules rather than the data encryption rules, which would mean much better security…

~J
Kagetenshi
Here's a question: do we want to fix the hole in the rules whereby someone with L stun and L Physical is more incapacitated than someone with two boxes of Physical or two boxes of Stun?

~J
Herald of Verjigorm
I liked how Mechwarrior 2nd edition handled stun and physical.
There was one bar (per region, but I never liked that part in personal combat). Physical damage would replace stun damage (if present), but stun damage was always added at the end. This may require a longer health bar or something, but a L stun followed by a L physical would just be a L physical while a L physical followed by a L stun would have the effects of two boxes (still not a moderate, but one more L stun would put it there).

KO would be when stun passes deadly and critical with chance of imminent death would occur when the physical passes deadly.

I think there was even a part about stun damage becoming physical if a track was already filled with stun.

So, one health bar, one set of modifiers, and a somewhat clean way of handling the two damage types.
Kagetenshi
My thought was to base wound mods on the total number of boxes between the two tracks: one point on either would be +1, three points between the two +2, six points +3, ten points +4, fifteen points +5, and then incapacitation hits before the next level (though if the staying-conscious rules are used we could see +6 at 21 points and so on).

The suggestion above does have the problem of "overriding" drain—cast a spell, get Light stun, cut yourself with a knife for Light physical to override the Light stun, then cast Heal to get yourself back to full health. There's also the fact that I'm not sure it makes sense to have getting shot in the leg remove the effects of having gotten punched in the face a few times.

Anyone else have opinions on either proposal, or on the question of whether or not we need to do anything in the first place?

~J
nezumi
I'd say don't do anything in the first place. It sorta makes sense that the two work independently (if you've lost a finger AND you've just finished a 10 mile hike, you'd operate worse than if you only had one of those problems, but probably not much better than if you had lost two fingers. Plus, any suggestion that adds the two tracks together somehow will increase math, which I think is something to be avoided when possible (not that math isn't beautiful, but it takes time).

If you WERE to fix this, you might as well look at the fact that getting hit with a weapon when the body soaks it to no damage doesn't even appear to leave bruises, which obviously doesn't work. SR4 changed it so basically every attack does physical or stun damage, depending on how well you resist.

Some other silly issues: Do we fix the r/w question that keeps coming up?
Kagetenshi
Which one?

~J
nezumi
The question of why r/w skill is half of the base language skill. Why iconography has somehow overcome written English, even though for it to do that, iconography would become as complex as Kanji, and that this runs contrary to current trends. Related where's Streetspeak?
Sphynx
I agree with Nezumi about not changing the damage tracks/modifiers. Those are cornerstones of SR from way-back. I like them. nyahnyah.gif

As for R/W, I think it should be ignored entirely unless you take an illiterate flaw. There's simply no need for the extra skill values, and they don't make sense.
mfb
re: health bars, you could just have a single 15-box bar. physical is filled in left-to-right, stun is filled in right-to-left. when the two meet, you are unconscious. you end up being able to take more of either type of damage seperately, but less of each type in sum. here's how i'd lay out the wound mods:
CODE

+1         +2            +3                  +4                        +5 P
[ ]  [ ]  [ ]  [ ]  [ ]  [ ]  [ ]  [ ]  [ ]  [ ]  [ ]  [ ]  [ ]  [ ]  [ ]  
+5                        +4                  +3             +2        +1 S

so you could take 15 boxes of physical or stun damage before going unconscious (rather than 10 as in SR3), but also only 15 boxes of physical and stun (rather than 20 as in SR3).
Kagetenshi
If I understand that bar correctly, though, you still have the problem of one point Physical, one point Stun putting you at the same wound modifier that you need three points of either Physical or Stun, independently, to reach.

~J
mfb
hm, point. how about this:
CODE

+1        +2             +3                  +4                       +5  P
[ ]  [ ]  [ ]  [ ]  [ ]  [ ]  [ ]  [ ]  [ ]  [ ]  [ ]  [ ]  [ ]  [ ]  [ ]  
+4                       +3                  +2             +1            S

it's not a smooth progression (2, 2, 3, 4), but for limited ranges, that's not really necessary. it allows you to take two boxes of stun without penalties, and you take less total modifiers for stun damage--but it could be argued that stun damage is overpowered anyway, in SR3.
Sphynx
If anything, it should be left as-is, and only take the higher modifier, not stacked.
mmu1
If you wanted to change the current setup, but still keep it simple while not ignoring anything entirely, you could do one of the following: take the highest modifier you have, then add a flat +1 to it if you have damage in both stun and physical tracks.

Regardless, I'm strongly in favor of changing the current rules, even if it ends up being more complicated.

While we're on the subject of Stun and physical, though - I think some changes also need to be made to redefine what causes stun damage and what causes physical, bcause the current rules are absurd. (sledghammers and maces causing Stun, etc.)

That, and I think how people with regeneration (shifters, etc.) heal stun damage ought to be addressed as well. I've seen the interpretation that they only regenerate physical not stun repeatedly, and while I never plan on playing a shifter, that sort of thing never made any sense to me whatsoever. Trauma is trauma. You can always make a special case for healing drain differently because it's magic...

In fact, now that I think of it, having stun damage and drain from casting on the same track is a bad idea that might simplify thing and solve one problem (mages being able to get rid of Stun too quickly) and completely fucks up how stun damage is handled otherwise.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (nezumi)
I was talking with my wife about SR3R and SOTA65 and she said she would love to help, specifically by contributing art. She's a professional freelance web visual graphics design artist person fellow who draws pictures. I told her that guns are a popular thing, and even though they aren't her preferred style, she'd be happy to do her own research, sketch stuff up and, of course, get feedback. However, anything else people feel as being valid (racial profiles, vehicles, dragons, whatever) she'll go for. All she has to know is what needs to be done. Of course, she is limited in how much she can do, since it takes a few hours to do a complete picture.

She's put some sketches up here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11139177@N00/

So people are aware, some of the pictures have b00b13s and may not be appropriate for work, unless your boss is a guy and can also appreciate a good b00b13 when he sees one.

So yes, if people have a suggestion on what she should draw, go ahead and give it. If people decide the drawing is not up to snuff, you can not include it or she can fix it given solid criticism.

I actually thought you were a mouse.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (nezumi)

Well, random person-to-person transfers of money on the street would be most problematic considering how expensive a good reader is.

I always assumed that establishments like bars or restaurants or fixers would have a nice big reader there for people to slot their credsticks.

My understanding from the Genesis game was that public telecom units also have places you can stick your credstick and theoretically send money to the person you're talking to. Maybe it's part of the telecom system? I put my credstick in my end and you put yours in yours and I can send you money or vice versa?
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (mmu1)
If you wanted to change the current setup, but still keep it simple while not ignoring anything entirely, you could do one of the following: take the highest modifier you have, then add a flat +1 to it if you have damage in both stun and physical tracks.

Regardless, I'm strongly in favor of changing the current rules, even if it ends up being more complicated.

While we're on the subject of Stun and physical, though - I think some changes also need to be made to redefine what causes stun damage and what causes physical, bcause the current rules are absurd. (sledghammers and maces causing Stun, etc.)

That, and I think how people with regeneration (shifters, etc.) heal stun damage ought to be addressed as well. I've seen the interpretation that they only regenerate physical not stun repeatedly, and while I never plan on playing a shifter, that sort of thing never made any sense to me whatsoever. Trauma is trauma. You can always make a special case for healing drain differently because it's magic...

In fact, now that I think of it, having stun damage and drain from casting on the same track is a bad idea that might simplify thing and solve one problem (mages being able to get rid of Stun too quickly) and completely fucks up how stun damage is handled otherwise.

Hmm. I'd be willing to restrict stun damage to 1.) drain, 2.) emptyhanded percussive attacks on a standing opponent, and 3.) drugs such as neurostun.

I'm not sure if simunitions aka gel rounds should do stun or small amounts of physical. I mean, I'm sure they hit differently than a punch.

What would happen if a group of bullies surrounded a fat kid and kept firing paintball markers at him from a distance of 5 feet away? Would that result in stun damage or physical? If we can answer this question it would clarify the overall question on how to handle stun versus physical.
mmu1
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Jan 29 2007, 01:23 AM)
What would happen if a group of bullies surrounded a fat kid and kept firing paintball markers at him from a distance of 5 feet away?  Would that result in stun damage or physical?  If we can answer this question it would clarify the overall question on how to handle stun versus physical.

Eh... Never been shot by a paintball from 5' away, but I have been shot repeatedly in the back of the head, neck and side of the jaw (~10-15 times) at a range of less than 10', and while that hurt like a bitch (and drew blood, in one case - I had shards of paintball shell stuck in me), you could shake that off in a matter of seconds, especially with adrenaline flowing.

At ranges of 20-30 feet, I have been shot with dozens of paintballs over the course of less than a minute without any effects I'd begin to describe as damaging - though I was wearing a face mask, naturally.

(We decided to get rid of all unused paint at the end of a day of playing, and had one last game with one rule - no shooting from less than 10', and you're in the game as long as you can take the shots. I found out I could rout people by walking straight at them while firing, Terminator-style, ignoring their shots. Until one asshole pretended to be out and shot me 10-15 times in the back of the head and neck when I stopped shooting him and turned away... Ah, youthful hijinks. Not ever playing that game again.)

Paintballs only stop being a really painful nuisance and become a weapon of any kind when fired at the face (eyes in particular, obviously) or the groin. They just don't have any mass to them, and the splatter on impact dissipates what little energy they have. They're just not a good analogue for gel rounds. (because I have no illusions about being able to stand up to a few dozen rubber bullets, or even simunitions, like that)
nezumi
On the stun issue:
-Can you 'pull punches' to cause stun with a weapon that would normally cause physical damage, like a staff or a sword?
-There are some non-empty fist weapons that I think should cause stun damage - tazers, saps, etc. These would be exceptions to the rule though, obviously
-Stun should still apply from appropriate damage while decking

Overall though, I agree with WR's assessment.

Related questions -
We need to fix the shock-glove rules, since it is the only weapon that causes double damage. Should we ignore the lesser, blunt damage code when the electrical damage is counted?

How will we address two-weapon fighting when unarmed? (When wearing two shock gloves, you get a bonus, even when neither glove is charged, but when wielding two fists, you don't.)
Sir_Psycho
We should really take this to a melee combat sr3r thread.

Kage, make it so!
Kagetenshi
Once I stop being dead, it shall be so. Expect it Saturday, possibly tomorrow.

~J
nezumi
As an aside, as I go through this, I think the primary problem holding SR3R up right now is the fact that the one driving force behind the project (Kagetenshi) has a life. I have several suggestions to amend this (putting out a hit on his professors and girlfriend, kidnapping, etc.) but it seems to me that ultimately, if our goal is to finish this up before SR5, it may be most productive if Kage was not the sole arbiter. We can't run this like a democracy (even though I have put down my opinions in other threads. That's mostly just because I like to talk.) We have too many people with too many different views and too many of them come and go at random. A benevolent dictatorship is certainly most effective, with a final judge to toss out some ideas and allow others. With our current dictator oftentimes quite busy, it might be a good idea to choose a second. We have a lot of very sharp members interested in this who I think have a good idea of where this project is going (herald, sphynx, mfb, alethustra(sp?)).

Has the benevolent dictator considered hiring a benevolent sub-dictator or design team to help sort between 'stuff that deserves Kage's official decree' and 'stuff that can go straight to the rubbish bin'?
Kyoto Kid
...OK maybe this have been brought up before: MA loss for deadly wounds. SR4 dispensed with it. SR3R should do the same. The only way it would have an effect is when an injury or attack (such as loss of a limb) results directly in essence loss.
nezumi
By MA do you mean the roll for magic loss? That's currently up for debate in the Essence and Magic thread. So far all votes have been in agreement with yours:

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=9575
Kagetenshi
I do actually have another person on "development team", as it were, but he's even busier than I am and mostly doesn't read the threads (I talk to him directly about the thornier issues). I'd consider taking on a third person, though both of the people that I'd been considering offering the position to previously stopped being regulars around here.

I'd like to point out that not all votes have been in agreement, but I can potentially be persuaded otherwise.

~J
Eyeless Blond
I don't remember f this was ever brought up, but I think we might want to consider rewriting how the core mechanic is presented. The Game Concepts chapter in the SR3 book doesn't even explain all the game rules, let alone explain them clearly, coherently, and cogently enough for a new player to grasp. One thing that would go a long way toward clarifying the explanation IMO would be actually defining specific game terms and sticking with them throughout whatever document we decide upon:
  • At the most basic level, we have a test.
  • We should have a defined term for "number of dice you roll in a test". In SR4 this is termed Dice Pool; obviously we can't call it the same thing here. Or can we? Maybe:
    • A Normal Dice Pool is the general term for a group of dice you roll for a test. It usually starts at a base value equal to a Skill or Attribute rating (described later on in the character creation section). From this base value, Dice Pool Modifiers are added and subtracted, based on the circumstances of the test like cyberware, player choices (spend 4 dice from dice pool to perform a Called Shot), and other individual circumstances.
    • Combat/Hacking/Magic/et. al Pool would then be, literally: Special Dice Pools. Special Dice Pools are the amount of "extra effort" the character can put into that test... [etc. Go on about how Combat Pool etc. work).
  • Target Number is a good example of a game term that already exists.
  • Of course we'll need to include Threshold as an actual game term, rather than a mysterious term that's hidden in the Magic section and, despite being used, never actually referred to by name in the Decking section.

This creates an interesting quandry: we have two different terms for the difficulty of a test: Target Number (TN) and Threshold (Th- pronounced maybe "Tee-Aich" like TN is pronounced "Tee-Enn"?). Something that was never well described in SR1-3 was how to custom-define a test. We know that, in general, an "easy" test is TN4, Th1. But when, as a general rule, should you vary the TN? The Th? What class of factors should vary each? What affects the character's dice pool(s)? My idea was this:
  • Dice pool modifiers would be mostly things under the character's control, and represent the character's ability to put effort into a task. You spend time to take aim with your gun: you add dice. You fight in melee defensively: you subtract dice from your attacking dice pool to add to your defending pool. A melee combat maneuver like Whirling would require a player to "invest" a certain amount of dice to get the desired effect. A Smartlink under this system would straight up add dice (still up for debate, but you get the idea).
  • Th would represent the basic difficulty of the task. A Th of 2 would be a normal to middling-difficulty task; a Th of 4+ would be particularly difficult or time-consuming.
  • TN would represent environmental factors. TN 4 would be normal conditions; TN 2 ideal conditions, TN 6 very difficult conditions.
  • One great thing about the this system is that you will always know the number of dice in your dice pools, no matter what the outside conditions are. Every factor affecting your dice pools is something your character, and thus you, will know about long before a given test is made.

While we're on the subject, should we be implementing any of the common (or uncommon?) fixes to the 6==7 problem?

If a given die roll exceeds the TN by 6 or more, should that be counted as an extra success?

Any others?
nezumi
"If a given die roll exceeds the TN by 6 or more, should that be counted as an extra success?"

I've tried that on and off. Really, if someone rolls a 38 on a shooting test, I feel like that should count for something. I think the idea of dice exploding adds a degree of danger and fun to the game.
Platinum
I think that would matter in a game that used threshholds greater than 2 for staging. But I really liked using the standard threshhold of 2. I don't like the exceeding a tn by 6 rule. If there was a mechanic were the tn was >6 and you exceed it by double, then you get an extra success.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (nezumi)
"If a given die roll exceeds the TN by 6 or more, should that be counted as an extra success?"

I've tried that on and off.  Really, if someone rolls a 38 on a shooting test, I feel like that should count for something.  I think the idea of dice exploding adds a degree of danger and fun to the game.

...had a shaman say she was going to lift a stretch van with Telekinesis. I said "go for it", TN something like 50 of 60. She rolled a 35. I said, good enough, you have the back wheels off the ground. Then I rolled to see whether it was a front or rear wheel drive. Came up rear wheel. She couldn't do anything else while sustaining the spell but it was enough to let the other characters deal with the NPCs inside.
nezumi
That's fine, although I'm not sure it's really relevant. My example would be something like:

"Alright, you're shooting the bad guy with your Ares Predator. The TN is 5."
"I rolled a 3, 4, 5, 243."

By the rules, that would be a 9M wound with 2 successes. It seems to be though, if the fellow was lucky enough to roll the incredibly improbable 243 (or really, even an 11), that bit of luck should count for something. If he DID actually roll 243, I'd say the guard is instantly dead. Just a lucky shot. If he rolled an 11, I'd say he got 3 successes, an unusually good shot. It makes life a little more interesting and dangerous, like I said. I have many memories of rerolling 6's and watching in excitement, but that situation only comes up when you're doing open tests or hitting extreme TNs.

The only downfall I see is it would increase how long any roll takes, since you're rerolling about 1/6th of the dice.
Kagetenshi
FWIW, I don't agree that a 3, 4, 5, 243 should be better than a 3, 4, 5, 5, but a full explanation for why will have to wait.

~J
Eyeless Blond
Heh, and here I thought the second proposal would be more controversial than the third, despite the fact that Thresholds do in fact already exist in SR3. After all, truly integrating thresholds into the core mechanic of SR3R, especially the part where it dictates the customization of a test and how to separate out what would cause a TN increase or a Threshold increase, would imply vast changes to how the entire game is run. Once it is actually defined like that, it becomes obvious that ranged combat ranges for instance should be handled with a Threshold increase, rather than a TN increase. And that's only the beginning; all over the game it'll have to be rethought whether a given modifier would serve better as a TN mod or a Th mod.

Relatively speaking, it's only a small consequence of this that a single die must theoretically be able to provide more than one success. Otherwise you pretty much lose the great benefit of the current system, that, at least in theory, anyone can have a "lucky moment" and succeed at almost any test, though the probability is vanishingly unlikely in the case of a guy with 1 die trying to hit a TN9/Th4 test.

FWIW, I don't agree that a 3, 4, 5, 243 should be better than a 3, 4, 5, 5, but a full explanation for why will have to wait.
When a 3, 4, 5, 17 (4 successes vs. TN 5) is less likely than a 5, 5, 7, 8 (also 4 successes vs. TN 5, and 2.5 times more likely)... why shouldn't it? I guess if you perfer you can make additional successes harder to obtain--going 12 over the original TN for an additional success may be a bit much, but how about 9?
Kagetenshi
Don't worry, I think that idea is absurd (at least the way you suggested it) as well smile.gif I just decided to skip it then.

Short version: I like the idea that more successes means a better "quality" of overall success. Thresholds, in general, take a big ole' dump all over that. The only places where I have any intention of using them (barring some amazingly persuasive arguments) are where some exceptional level of success is required. I'd really like to get rid of the threshold in damage staging, for instance, but I don't see any worthwhile avenue of exploration to do that.

I'm astounded that you suggest that ranged combat should be a threshold increase, but since you like the idea in the first place I'd imagine there's a pretty big difference in our thinking right now smile.gif

Edit: I guess the other use thresholds have is locking out certain capability levels (requiring that someone have more dice than the threshold)—this is part of why I like them for, say, encryption. Because they have this effect, they should even more emphatically be carefully and rarely used IMO.

~J
Link
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
  • We should have a defined term for "number of dice you roll in a test". In SR4 this is termed Dice Pool; obviously we can't call it the same thing here. Or can we? Maybe:

• Dice pool modifiers would be mostly things under the character's control, and represent the character's ability to put effort into a task.
  • Th would represent the basic difficulty of the task. A Th of 2 would be a normal to middling-difficulty task; a Th of 4+ would be particularly difficult or time-consuming.
  • TN would represent environmental factors. TN 4 would be normal conditions; TN 2 ideal conditions, TN 6 very difficult conditions.

Dice pool (the SR4 term) would confuse the issue but a common term in line with SR's 3 or 4 tests is a good idea. Test dice?

As for threshold or TN modifiers and modifiers to the number of 'test dice' wink.gif SR applies these modifers inconsistently, it'd be taxing to change this and I prefer TN mods to dice mods - less dice to roll!

I'd really like to get rid of the threshold in damage staging, for instance, but I don't see any worthwhile avenue of exploration to do that.

Since the 2 success threshold exclusively deals with damage the simplest way to deal with it may be to amend the condition monitor to 20 boxes and 6 or 7 steps of damage (rather than 4) such as 1 Light, 3 ?, 6 Moderate, 10 Serious, 15 Critical & 20 Deadly. There are probably many unforeseen problems that would arise with this.

As for that exploding (?) die idea, it is probably the only way a low skill attacker could present a deadly threat when they can't get the successes required to stage the damage otherwise.
Eyeless Blond
Not only in damage staging, but thresholds exist in magic resistance; certain spells (Shapechange is the canonical example); decking (five necessary to find a file); damage staging and encryption as you mentioned; essentially all Opposed Tests like melee combat... the list goes on and on. Thresholds are an integral part of SR3, even if the only place you actually see the word "Threshold" is in the description for the Shapechange spell. They're so integrated that IMO it'd be harder to get rid of them than to simply embrace and define them, and apply them with something resembling consistency.

Consistency is the key here. We don't want to homogenize the rules; if we're going to do that we may as well either stick with SR4 or take the whole system and convert it to Savage Worlds. One thing we shouldn't do however is deny the fact that SR3 as written is one of the most hacked-together kludges in the entire RPG universe. The first and most important way to begin to fix this is to tie together all the mechanics and terminology that the book uses (or ought to be using and isn't) into a unified, fully-explained core mechanic. It's one of the most important things we can do to ensure that we don't fall even further into SR3 kludge-land.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Mar 20 2007, 09:08 PM)
decking (five necessary to find a file);

No, you're wrong. Unlike any test with a threshold, successes in Searches are saved across tests—in a threshold test with a threshold of 5, five tests with one success each is five failures. A search with the same tests results in a successful finding of the file at the end of the fifth test.

essentially all Opposed Tests like melee combat

I see where you're getting that interpretation, but I don't agree with it.

One thing we shouldn't do however is deny the fact that SR3 as written is one of the most hacked-together kludges in the entire RPG universe.

Someone clearly hasn't played very many RPGs, especially ones from the mid-90s and earlier wink.gif

Anyway, I think we need to make a list of where exactly thresholds occur (and argue out whether or not they're really thresholds) before we can address whether to embrace or abjure them.

Edit:
QUOTE (Link)
As for that exploding (?) die idea, it is probably the only way a low skill attacker could present a deadly threat when they can't get the successes required to stage the damage otherwise.

If by "deadly threat" you mean "able to deal D in one attack", sure. An M Physical wound isn't a small thing, though, doubly so if magical healing is unavailable.

~J
nezumi
I do agree with the statement that thresholds should be properly defined and pointed out in the rules, to make things easier to understand. We see what are effectively thresholds in every opposed test (ECM, melee combat, etc.) and in a number of other oddball tests (perception, effectively). However, that is a clarification of the rules only. I would not want to significantly increase the number of tests that depend upon thresholds. For instance, adding thresholds as a ranged combat modifier makes combat less dangerous, not more (not to mention, more complex).

If we were making a system from the ground up, being able to modify number of dice, pool, TN and threshold would make for a very granular system. But our goal is to modify, not recreate from scratch. The effort required to rework the entire Shadowrun dice mechanic to allow for TNs and thresholds on most or all tests would require a tremendous amount of effort on our part, moreso than I think we'll be able to easily tap into. I would shelve that for now and reexamine later if all the other problems have been satisfactorily resolved.
Kagetenshi
Perception is also absolutely not a threshold. A single success is sufficient to come to a "something's not right" realization.

~J
tisoz
QUOTE (Link)
Dice pool (the SR4 term) would confuse the issue but a common term in line with SR's 3 or 4 tests is a good idea. Test dice?

I like the term Handful.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Mar 20 2007, 09:08 PM)
decking (five necessary to find a file);

No, you're wrong. Unlike any test with a threshold, successes in Searches are saved across tests—in a threshold test with a threshold of 5, five tests with one success each is five failures. A search with the same tests results in a successful finding of the file at the end of the fifth test.
That's even worse. What you're saying here is, not only are there Thresholds in SR3, but there are a proto-version of SR4's Extended Tests as well! But no, I don't think we need to include Extended Tests in SR3R's description of the core mechanic; as far as I can tell the ability to "build up" successes toward a Threshold is unique to interrogation tests, and so is farly well off as an exception.

If we were really going to try to make the rules completely consistent we'd eliminate the Extended Test aspect of the interrogation method, maybe just make it into an Opposed Test, but that, as nezumi pointed out, is a bit beyond the scope of this project.

essentially all Opposed Tests like melee combat

I see where you're getting that interpretation, but I don't agree with it.
[...]
Anyway, I think we need to make a list of where exactly thresholds occur (and argue out whether or not they're really thresholds) before we can address whether to embrace or abjure them.
Well if we want to keep the rules substantially the same then we absolutely must keep thresholds, as, unlike say Open or proto-Extended Tests they're pretty much scattered everywhere throughout the rules. For clarity's sake though we need to learn to call a spade a spade throughout the entire document, and not suddenly start calling it a trowel in one chapter, a Kunai in another, and a shovel in a third, just to be contrary.

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Perception is also absolutely not a threshold. A single success is sufficient to come to a "something's not right" realization.

Absolutely. Perception and Astral Perception are, as far as I can tell, one of the few places where Thresholds are *not* used; they're simple Success Tests, with each additional succes giving you access to additional information. Thresholds are integrated so far into SR3 that these kinds of tests are almost the exception rather than the rule, however. Many tests do use Thresholds, in one form or another, even if they don't explicitly call them by that name, and it would be much simpler to just use the term--or even a synonym, I'm not picky--for the sake of clarity.

Edit:
QUOTE (Link)

If by "deadly threat" you mean "able to deal D in one attack", sure. An M Physical wound isn't a small thing, though, doubly so if magical healing is unavailable.

So it should be impossible for an untrained person to shoot and kill someone else with a single bullet? Whew, I'd better tell all those kids who die in accidental shootings every year.

Less flippantly, though, even without integrating thresholds further into SR3R, I'm still unsure why this is a problem, other than the fact that it's a sacred cow of the old editions. If you roll well, why shouldn't that translate into a higher degree of success?

QUOTE (tisoz)
QUOTE (Link @ Mar 20 2007, 07:53 PM)

I like the term Handful.

rotfl.gif
Kagetenshi
Whatever we end up doing with success tests, it won't do a damn thing about accidental shootings, which don't involve the shooter's skill at all (well, the sort you describe don't—hunting misidentifications will granted involve an attack test).

On the dice issue, I'm not sure what a good term would be, but I'd suggest "fistful" instead of "handful".

~J
tisoz
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Mar 21 2007, 06:40 PM)
On the dice issue, I'm not sure what a good term would be, but I'd suggest "fistful" instead of "handful".

~J

Just so long as it maintains the connotation that Shadowrun is for people who like to sling a lot of dice.

I like the handful/fistful as it intuits the dice you are rolling for that specific test no matter their origin.
Eyeless Blond
Maybe just "hand"; otherwise it sounds a little, well, flippant.
nezumi
Silly question, is there a need for an 'accidental shooting' mechanic? It seems like it would be at least as useful as things like how to operate a battleship (which does exist in the rules).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012