Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Powered Armor
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kyuhan
I've been looking for some good rules for powered armor for a little while but I haven't been able to dig up much. Any help in finding some would be, as always, greatly appreciated.
Capt. Dave
Well, there's this topic, or try this one, or you can try a search. There's plenty of threads dedicated to power armor, you'll probably find what you're looking for. wink.gif

Power armor is usually an anthroform drone (R3R) or a VCR and a JIM suit.(CC)
Trax
What's a JIM suit?
Capt. Dave
QUOTE (Trax @ Apr 13 2005, 01:54 PM)
What's a JIM suit?

A JIM suit (pg. 57, CC) is a big diving exoskeleton with powered arms (up to Str. 10). The only way to use it without going as slow as a snail is to rig it.

Trax
No wonder I didn't see it. I skipped that section
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Trax)
What's a JIM suit?

It's an articulated exoskeleton used for deep sea diving, the idea that by encasing the diver in a hardshell suit, you don't have to pressurize the diver's lungs to match the depth. It's more like being in a suit-sized micro-submersible than an actual dive.

Shadowrun introduced them in Cyberpirates.
Hero
Here is another good thread on power armor Possible Power Armor.

And here are the stats for the power armor I designed.

HAA-3 Mk. III Powered Armor
Hand: 3
Speed: 57
accel: -
Body: 3
Armor: 6
Sig: 5
Auto: 4
Pilot: 5
Sensor: 4
CF: 0
Load: 395
Seat: 1
Entry: 1b
Fuel: 120PF
Econ: 1.5
Chassis: Large anthro
SI: *
Avail: *
Cost: 416,400
*GM discretion

::Control::
-> There is a special drone computer that takes over much of the target tracking and control, it also is can take control of the vehicle when the pilot is not actively piloting or is incapacitated. The drone computer takes over all of the primary functions of tracking and firing at the target, the pilot only must make a gunnery test. The advanced software package includes Robotic Reflexes 3, Robotic-Pilot Advanced programming, Fuzzy Logic 5, Improved Neural Network Algrorithms 5. Treated as a robot with adaptation pool 10 (+10 to adaptation pool to comprehension test), when not controlled by a pilot.
-> Rigger Adaptation
::Protective::
Enviro
-> Seal Gas/Over-pressurized
::Weapons::
-> 2x Fixed Mounts (one located on each outer forearm, with 1CF ammo bin under the forearm)
::Electronics::
-> ECM/ECCM (mounted on back section in container pods)
::Accessories::
-> 2x Mechanical Arms (Strength 9)
-> Spot Lights

Additions
Dragon™ Mk. I Jump Jets
Cost:30,900Y; Avail: 10/2 months; Weight: 250; SI: 4; Legality: Legal
Dragon™ Mk. Id Jump Jets
Cost: 105,900; Avail: 16/2 months; Weight: 295; SI: 4; Legality: 4P-W
*Typhoon™ Life Support
Cost: 3,400; Avail: 8/14 days; Weight: 50; SI: 2.5; Legality: Legal
Titan™ Gyro System
Cost: 4,000; Avail: 6/48hrs; Weight: x; SI: 1.5; Legality: 4P-W
SL I Interface
Cost: 650; Avail: 4/48 hrs; Weight: x; SI: 1; Legality: 5P-W
SL II Interface
Cost: 900; Avail: 6/48 hrs; Weight: x; SI: 2; Legality: 5P-W
*Ghost™ ECM Pod
Cost: ;50,500 Avail: 8/21 days; Weight: 20; SI: 4; Legality: 4P-W
*Ghost™ ECCM Pod
Cost: 40,500; Avail: 6/21 days; Weight: 12; SI: 3.5; Legality: Legal
BattleTac FDDM
Cost: 35,000; Avail: 10/21 days; Weight: x; SI: 3; Legality: 4P-W
BattleTac IVIS
Cost: 25,000; Avail: 8/14 days; Weight: x; SI: 3; Legality: 4P-W
Autosoft Accel™ Interface
Cost: 5,000; Avail: 8/14 days; Weight: x; SI: 2; Legality: Legal
5,000 8/14 days
HyperTask™ Robot System
Cost: 10,000; Avail: 8/14 days; Weight: x; SI: 3; Legality: 4P-W
Fire Support™ Software
Cost: 75,000; Avail: 6/14 days; Weight: x; SI: 2; Legality: 6P-s
Recon Support™ Software
Cost: 62,500; Avail: 6/14 days; Weight: x; SI: 2; Legality: Legal
Assault Support™ Software
Cost: 75,000; Avail: 6/14days; Weight: x; SI: 2; Legality: 6P-S
* = (contained in special armored pod, has same armor value as vehicle)

Special
Dragon™ Jump Jets
the Dragon™ has the following profile
Hand: 3
Speed: 120
Accel: 12
Body: 3
Armor: 6
Sig: 5
CF: -
Load: Special*
Fuel: Jet 180l
Econ: .4km/L
T/L: vtol
*The Flight Pack has enough lift to ge the Power Armor into the air and anything the power armor is equipped with it.

Dragon™ Deception Flight Pack is the same as the Dragon™ Flight Pack with a ED 4 system

Protection
Typhoon™ Life Support Module counts as a 24hr life support unit in an armored storage modular with an armor rating of 6

Weapons
Titan™ Gyro System counts as a rating 4 recoil adjuster
Smartlink I/II interface adds smart link bonuses of appropriate level

Electronics
HyperTask™ Robotic System Firmware is a rating 10 multi-object manipulation program that provides +10 dice to any IVIS pool, must have BattleTac IVIS module
Ghost™ ECM Module counts as a rating 4 ECM in an armored storage modular with an armor rating of 6
Ghost™ ECCM Module counts as a rating 4 ECCM in an armored storage modular with an armor rating of 6
Autosoft Accel™ Interface is a rating 5 Autosoft Interpretation system with two chip slots. System supports the Support™ Autosoft Package. See below
Support™ Autosofts come in three models Fire, Recon, and Assualt
Fire Support™ - - - - - - - - - Counts as Sharpshooter and Clear Sight Autosofts each at rating 5
Recon Support™ - - - - - - - Counts as Performance and Clear Sight Autosofts each at rating 5
Assault Support™ - - - - - - Counts as Performance and Sharpshooter Autosofts each at rating 5
Weredigo
Rifts, Robotech, and BubbleGum Crisis...
Grinder
What's up with those weird robots of Matrix 3? Anyone designed one? You know, which the good used to fight off the attacking robots, when the latter launched their final attack on the last free city on earth (or some similar crap, the whole mvie was just disappointing).
Demosthenes
QUOTE (Grinder)
What's up with those weird robots of Matrix 3? Anyone designed one? You know, which the good used to fight off the attacking robots, when the latter launched their final attack on the last free city on earth (or some similar crap, the whole mvie was just disappointing).

What, the 'powered armour' type exoskeleton things which, for some ungodly reason, offered no protection whatsoever to the wearer?
Grinder
Exactly. But they had miniguns attached, at least. biggrin.gif
Austere Emancipator
As far as I can figure, those are supposed to be single-barrel, large-caliber (30+mm) automatic cannons, not miniguns.
Grinder
My gun-fu is low wink.gif They shoot very fast and pput out a lot of empty shells....
Demosthenes
Right beside an open cockpit occuppied by a pilot wearing oil-stained rags...
I can just see the art direction:

"Right, so we have the gravity-defying high-tech hovercraft with big guns, sensors, and antigrav stuff - oh yeah, and armour. What do we put on the exoskeleton things?"

"Big guns?"

"Big guns are good. What else?"

"Armour?"

"No, they might want to do dramatic close-ups on people being torn to pieces....can't do that. Too practical, really..."
Grinder
You are having deep insight into an art directors mind rotfl.gif
Demosthenes
Having worked in the TV business helps a bit... wink.gif
Grinder
But it surely destroys some illusions one had before entering the world of tv, doesn't it?
It's the same when entering the music-business.... indifferent.gif
Birdy
QUOTE (Weredigo)
Rifts, Robotech, and BubbleGum Crisis...

And always remember:

Female PA pilots want:

Bright colors
High heels
Form fitting armor

As for PA in SR: Either don't or use another game system and "wing it" into SR. BGC is fun, Mekton works as does Gurps:Mecha

Birdy
Critias
I always figured the walker-gun-robot-armor thingies in The Matrix flicks were more like mobile weapon platforms, and less like "armor." I assumed they were fashioned almost purely as a way for someone to lug around guns that big (and make cool robot noises when they moved), and not to be protective in any way.

They sort of make sense, that way. Sort of.
Grinder
Sort of, that's it. Like the whole logic in matrix 2 and 3 had sort of logic. smile.gif
BitBasher
QUOTE (Grinder)
Sort of, that's it. Like the whole logic in matrix 2 and 3 had sort of logic. smile.gif

Actually I had no problems with the sequals. I thought they made sense. biggrin.gif
Grinder
Crappy with cool pictures. My opinion of it. biggrin.gif
BitBasher
QUOTE (Grinder)
Crappy with cool pictures. My opinion of it. biggrin.gif

Honestly think what you will, but for the dock fight alone with the APU's it's a freaking crime that movie wasn't even nominated for best special effects.
Grinder
As i said: cool pictures wink.gif
Arethusa
The Matrix sequels, while deeply flawed in a lot of ways, were very unfairly panned. To this day, people continue to annoy me by bashing them and thinking they sound smart and distinguished by it.

More on topic, the Matrix APUs are a terrible approach to powered armor, as evinced by their, ahm, total lack of armor. They may have made some sense as mobile gun platforms in the environment of the movies (and in the context of the movies, which is a bit over the top and comic bookish), they don't make any sense in reality. You're far better off looking to Ghost in the Shell (especially the last few episodes of the first series) for a look at how powered armor suits are extremely viable as movile armor and heavy weapons platforms for MOUT. In essence, they function as squad level tanks, and though they would naturally require infantry support and are fairly specialized, it's a very viable concept and thoroughly beats the shit out of the silly light-unarmored-heavily-armed vehicles of the future that the US army thought were such agreat idea not 10 years ago. When you get back to reality, turns out tanks are still a really good idea, and an infantry adaptation offers a lot of distinct advantages.
Phelan_patrick
I think that the reason that the matrix's APUs (I think what they called those large exoskeletons with guns in the movie) had a reason for not having any armor. First of all armor against sentinels are pretty useless as shown with how easily they can slice through a hover ships hull and enter it. So basically with or without armor your basically dead meat once a sentinel latches on you. Thus since armor protection for the APU operator is basically useless it would be better to just take out the armor to lighten the APU or leave more room for bigger guns. Who knows maybe if your added armor to an APU you have to put in lighter guns instead of what they already have. And since the squids don't have long range attacks except for the bombs they throw at hoverships, the best way to take them out was to kill them before they ever reach you. So you'll definitely need as much firepower as you can mount on an APU to be effective and lightening it to allow mobility would help too.

Anycase thats just my ten cents worth.
Grinder
Just looked through my collection of deadlands: the wasted west and found some nice pieces of powered armor - or better: the best way i have seen. I don't know either gost in the shell nor one of the other mentioned animes.

As for matrix: the first movie was a great one, the other two simply bored me to death. Don't know and care if this sounds smart or whatever, it's just the way it was.
BGMFH
Powered Armor isn't a good idea in Shadowrun, because if the Players have it, it means GM like me have lots more of it!
Pthgar
The only groups to have powered armour in our game are a few spec. forces groups that are trying out the first gen of practical PA. Primarily, our group has run into a Marine Corps Raiders team. PA for us basically just gives a way for no-cyber, non-adepts to compete with those that have it. It's totally a military application requiring a full support system, similiar to helos or t-birds. You know, x amount of service hours for y amount of combat hours. And expensive as all get out.
Arethusa
QUOTE (BGMFH)
Guns aren't a good idea in Shadowrun, because if the Players have it, it means GM like me have lots more of it!

Fixed.
BGMFH
QUOTE (Arethusa)
QUOTE (BGMFH @ Apr 23 2005, 07:45 AM)
Nothing is a good idea in Shadowrun, because if the Players have it, it means GM like me have lots more of it!

Fixed.

Fixed your repairs, Arethusa
Critias
So far, every post I've seen of yours, BGMFH, has just been you twisting the topic (or at least a single post) around on any given thread, and turning it into you gloating/bragging/joking/whatever about what a horribly mean GM you are.

Are you always like this?
Grinder
Every gm get the players he deserves biggrin.gif
BGMFH
Critias, child that you are, you have never heard of me obviously.

When I joined Dumpshock 4 or more years ago, I was the Broke GameMaster For Hire...

Now, Im known as the GM version of the BOFH. Go to http://bofh.ntk.net/Bastard.html to read about him.

I've earned my nickname, trust me.
Critias
Right. So. You're a shitty GM. That's worth bragging about in every post you make, for sure.
BGMFH
Sorry Critias.

Shitty GMs dont get players.

I get lots of players, because my games are fun, yet realistic.

Realistic in "the world is out to get us" sense."
BitBasher
Shitty GMs dont get players.
That statement is horribly false. In many, many areas there are far more players than GM's so players will play in the only game they can, regardless of quality.
Capt. Dave
QUOTE (BGMFH)

Now, Im known as the GM version of the BOFH. Go to http://bofh.ntk.net/Bastard.html to read about him.

I've earned my nickname, trust me.

That would seem to validate Critias's notion that you brag about being "a horribly mean GM."

If someone says something negative about your GM style, getting mad and then proving what they said is true doesn't make much sense. Oh, and I've never heard of you either. Sorry. I'll go play in my sandbox now. biggrin.gif
Grinder
QUOTE (BitBasher)
That statement is horribly false. In many, many areas there are far more players than GM's so players will play in the only game they can, regardless of quality.

I always wonder why a group of players stays with a shitty gm instead of starting their own group with one of them as gm.
Wounded Ronin
Who *is* the Bastard Operator from Hell? If he goes around arbitrarily deleting peoples accounts and things like that wouldn't he get in trouble rather quickly? Morever, wouldn't someone whose account he deleted get mad, go to the office, and, like, stomp on his jaw until it cracked in twain out in the parking lot?

EDIT: Oh, wait, I get it. He's a fictional character. Right.
Trax
Probably because those players are too lazy to bother learning how to GM.
Grinder
Then they deserve their shitty gm. I mean, it's not that difficult to gm a session. Sure, you're likely do something wrong and make some mistakes, but that happened all gm out here. Learning by experience is the only way to learn.
Arethusa
You know, it could just because those players, ohmigosh, don't know the fucking difference. Maybe I'm just utterly kookoocrazy, but everybody has to start somewhere. For some, it's all they've known.

And, I don't know about you, but groups I've found tend to be created out of groups of friends, healthy or otherwise, and most people tend to be rather reticent to tell their friends that, hey, man, you fucking suck at this. But I guess we can conviently ignore social dynamics and lack of experience and brand these people as lazy and deserving of all injustice, right?
Trax
If they aren't making an effort to improve their sessions then it is their fault.
Grinder
I play with (close) friends as well as strangers (well, only at the beginning). But as we all are adults and able to discuss in a civillised manner it was up to today always possible to criticise players and gm for their style. And if it don't work, roles are changed. I don't the a problem there, as long as the discussion don't become insulting.
Arethusa
Well, it's worth pointing out that, quite shockingly not all groups are composed of adults.
Grinder
But people don't stay 16 all their life.
Arethusa
Which doesn't really make it any less unfair to brand said group of 16 year olds as at fault, deserving of their bad GM, lazy, or anything else, when it's all they've ever known.
Grinder
I`m sorry if i hurt the feelings of any 16-year-old player/gm here atr dumpshock.

I`m not sorry hruting the feelings of any lazy player complaining about his bad gm but not changing it.

Ok? smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012