Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Running with murderous felons
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
tschofie
Alright. The last couple runs have been getting just a little, ah, messy. We're all now felons in several nations, and have murdured at least a couple dozen assorted security persons in the middle of some fairly large cities, sometimes on national television. Our escape vehicle on each occaison was large and noticable. Certain lapses in judgement have occurred regarding: the number of kilos of c12 appropriate to the situation ("Well, uh, four I guess",) and the best location in which to detonate a distraction ("Ok, ambulances arrive at the scene to care for the wounded and dying campus guards you've left littered across the bloody lawn." "Great! I push the button!".)

We survive via grace of the GM, a good mage, and an inexplicably benign lady luck.

So what are good ways to tone down the senseless violence once things go to hellina handbasket? What are your favorite non-lethal weapons, and, more importantly, how do you get other players to willingly use them? What can I do OoC to tone things down a bit? (The rampant bloodshed and destruction isn't yet personally offensive, mostly, but it really makes runs difficult. Sigh.)

Thanks muchly,
TS

______

When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite.
--Sir Winston Churchill
Westiex
What I'd do is to start a new game and start having hte Johnson lay out specifics as to what weapons they can and can't use, how noticable that they're allowed to be.

Failing that, make it easier for the cops to track them (The stats for Gridguide cameras are in R3R, close to the front), start having Lonestar use recon drones ... which is hardly railroading if you start giving the players hints about what the 'Star are using. Prehaps have one of them read an article about what the local cops are starting to use to give them a heads up

Thats assuming your the GM, though.

Kaosaur
QUOTE (tschofie)
Alright. The last couple runs have been getting just a little, ah, messy. We're all now felons in several nations, and have murdured at least a couple dozen assorted security persons in the middle of some fairly large cities, sometimes on national television. Our escape vehicle on each occaison was large and noticable. Certain lapses in judgement have occurred regarding: the number of kilos of c12 appropriate to the situation ("Well, uh, four I guess",) and the best location in which to detonate a distraction ("Ok, ambulances arrive at the scene to care for the wounded and dying campus guards you've left littered across the bloody lawn." "Great! I push the button!".)

We survive via grace of the GM, a good mage, and an inexplicably benign lady luck.

So what are good ways to tone down the senseless violence once things go to hellina handbasket? What are your favorite non-lethal weapons, and, more importantly, how do you get other players to willingly use them? What can I do OoC to tone things down a bit? (The rampant bloodshed and destruction isn't yet personally offensive, mostly, but it really makes runs difficult. Sigh.)

Thanks muchly,
TS

______

When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite.
--Sir Winston Churchill

Favorite non-lethals?

Tasers are awesome. It's all about the Yamaha Pulstar.
Besides that, I like Bola Rounds, CS/TearGas and ...freezefoam I think it was?
Critias
I think it's a little late for changing to non-lethal and hoping it means the GM's gonna let you live. You guys've made a few decisions, and now it's time to deal with them -- either by scrapping the campaign and starting over (starting over smarter), by just doing what you're doing (and the GM light-heartedly deciding to let things slide, turning it into an almost-slapstick action flick sort of villian game), or by playing things out and letting the dice fall where they may (with your GM taking the group apart, one at a time or all at once, with HRT and SWAT teams, etc).

I don't think you're at a point where you can turn over a new leaf and start packing a taser and a stun grenade instead of an LMG and C12, and think it'll be reason enough for the cops not to gnaw your faces off.
Snoof
You could always "vanish" for a few years. Dump your hideouts, fake IDs, contacts and favourite weapons. Get yerself some plastic surgery, maybe some gene therapy, change your prints. Once you've been out of the game long enough (maybe until, say, 2070), try starting a new career. On a different continent. Under totally different names. With a fresh Johnson.

Snoof
Euchrid
One of my players uses the Sleep spell on damn near everyone they fight. Nice little area effect spell which allows them to interrogate everyone (making my job harder, of course) and doesn't kill anyone.
amadeus
well, Snoof, has a great idea, change your idents...

other then that, I like the dart/supersquirt guns with narcojet loaded into them. It's kinda hard to resist 6D, no armor or anything, just body, the CC has some nice chemical deleviry (can't spell) systems for you to use, and then you just pick your faviorate drug. If you have lots of money (and I mean lots) use Laes', that stuff is nasty...

amadeus
ElFenrir
I'm also a fan of the narcoject/dart guns. It can get a little costly, but some of the other stun compunds they have are even nastier than Narcoject, albiet harder to get. One of em did about 10D Stun damage. Laes also would be a good follow up to prevent anyone remembering. And gel rounds, concussion grenades, tazers...

Of course, the old tried and true DMSO-Hyper combo is good...albiet that one isn't very quiet, as the person on the Hyper tends to be a little...out there afterward.

For up close, stun batons, clubs, and just plain unarmed combat all do Stun damage.

As for your current situation...getting the services of a very good decker and street doc for some(ok, a lot) info and at least some appearance changes sounds like the best bet as mentioned...and dissapearing for awhile. perferably to another country. For about a year. If you really wanna try to salvage this game.

I mean a few slip ups and dead guards happens. Even one botched run doesn't mean you have to dissapear(unless you managed to let loose an Aztechnology blood spirit and turn it free that is). But when a country knows who you are...ouch.
Little Bill
I'm in the campaign TS's talking about.
The campaign is due to wrap in a couple more sessions anyway.

There are a number of causes of the problem:
First of all, a good number of the players are new to Shadowrun and aren't used to playing a game where everyone has to be at least somewhat sneaky and where violence isn't always the best choice. They're probably used to using tactics that have worked for them in other games without repercussions there.
Secondly, we started out at a lower power level than most Shadowrun groups, which has made it tougher to have clean runs (how many times has the GM asked for a skill and none of us have had it, or at most only a couple levels?).
Thirdly, our GM likes having a little action in the game, and often he will basically throw obstacles in our way until one of us blows a skill roll and we have to have a little fight or two. There's nothing wrong with that except that it's encouraging the new players to just start the fight to begin with, since they know it's going to happen sooner or later.
Fourth, we didn't face any real consequences for earlier missions where we made too much noise, which again encourages the players to keep doing what has worked in the past.

The remedy: End the campaign.

My own character (Red Cloud) has decided that enough was enough and is ready to call it quits and retire from Shadowrunning (perhaps permanently) as soon as we can resolve this last run. Whether he decides to extract a little vengence from the PCs who killed a lot of his fellow Souix in the last session or two remains to be seen.
Smiley
Try some plastic surgery and a few months of cooling-off time. After the heat dies down a little, get some fake SINs and try 'running again, this time with a little more finesse.
Nikoli
Or, tehy could pull a few runs to fake their death in what should be the enevitable blaze of lead from the 'star for the destruction they've casused.
They lay low for a while, and do the typical reconstruction job on their ID's and resurface.

Smiley
Yeah, faking your deaths is a pretty good idea.
hyzmarca
Buy a knowsoft link and as many language chips as you can find. Then, move to Africa.
It works just as well in the opopsite order, sometimes better)

(Note: If you've blown up anothing in Africa pick another continent. If all else fails, Antartica is a great place to hide out.)
Kagetenshi
I'd advise sticking to your guns and not going the non-lethal route. I'd also advise more discretion, though; it's just fine to blow up the ambulances as they arrive to tend to the wounded, you just need to make sure that no one can identify or track you. Likewise, if you've got a shot at a Lone Star officer and can reasonably guarantee that you can't be identified, take that shot. One less to deal with later.

In your specific case, I think you're going to want to be down one escape vehicle very quickly, though. Consider running the border into Salish; if all else fails, Denver is a great place to lose people (before Ghostwalker returns at any rate).

~J
hermit
Favourite non-lethal means of disposing of opposition: the area-effect sleep spell. For mundanes, silencers and normal or APDS ammo do the trick. Not really non-lethal, but at least discreet. And generally, there're some things to keep in mind: Don't kill if there's another way. Don't hesistate to kill either, but don't kill just for killing's sake. Be discreet in what you do.

In your special case ... go somewhere far away and lie low for a while. With the amount of carnage going on in the 6th world, odds are that, afer a few months, the powers that be have given up trailing you and focus on the newest terrorist/bug spirit/dragon/shedim threat.

After your case isn't high-profile any more and only one task force is investigating your whereabouts, find out who the coordinators in investigating your case are, and make sure they stop investitgating. Blackmail, murder, psychotrpoic ice, changing them into bug spirits, do anything to make sure noone is seriously looking for you any more.

Then, deal with all major enemies you made, as above, and as discreetly as possible.

Then start over and be less noisy in your killing sprees, so you don't have to only rely on your GM to be lenient and let you slip by with any kind of shit. smile.gif

Or simply start over. wink.gif
Deamon_Knight
Or... Employ the services of a skilled decker to erase your images from the recordinigs and frame some other poor slobs. Preferably someone you don't like. The lying low option probably is still needed though.
nezumi
Non-lethal? Have you tried not getting into firefights in the first place? I've saved tons on my overhead that way.

Gamma scopaline is a GREAT knock-out drug, albeit quite pricey. Unfortunately, M&M really skimps on the drugs, but talk with your GM about getting some more common knock-out drugs. Tasers are great, shock gloves are actually unbalancing in how powerful they are. Generally, I've found that stun weapons are MORE effective than deadly force anyway (compare stun gloves to spurs, stunball to manaball, tasers to pistols. The only place it ceases to be true is gel vs. normal rounds, where it's a toss up, and obscenely powerful weapons like LMGs vs. fire hoses.)
Kagetenshi
Dude, tasers to pistols is no comparison. The fifteen-meter cap kills tasers dead when it comes to effectiveness.

~J
hahnsoo
You can also dump the PCs into a location where their identity more or less doesn't matter. Something like Bug City or the Renraku Arcology after the shutdown. That's almost like starting over the campaign, though.
hermit
You could go to Africa and work as mercs for the Asamando ... it's not like they'Re picky about whom they employ, and you'll propably get boni for collateral damage too! Hey, it puts food on their tables, after all. wink.gif
Swing Kid
Have some awkward footage of the team make the news. Make the team lay low for a while. Make it where noone is willing to touch them for a while. Have each player create a couple of secondary characters to mix up the teams for a while. This way, on any given game night, you will have only one or two of the original team hooking up with some other runners, doing runs that are way below them. This will show a certain realism; the idea of never-changing teams would be suicide to runners in reality, because it wouldn't take long before they were seen as an entity, rather than individuals who run for themselves with multiple teams. This would make the players realize that the only way they are going to get to play their favorite characters as a team is if they chill things out.

Another way is to calculate the reprocutions. How many of the victims of these runs would raise enough stink to want revenge? Have Johnny Law put out a profile on them.

And, by all means, don't be afraid to KILL the characters. Too many GM's think they are on the player's sides. You are their ultimate opponent in the game. Don't take that too far though, they are(hopefully) your friends.
lorthazar
Actually becuase the GM likes the action scenes I would say just switch to gel rounds, shock glves and tasers, but keep your Ex-Ex, C-12, andgrenades handy. Sometimes you'll be hired becuase they want you to be big an noisy. Those are the real fun runs. If it comes down to the point that you need to use lethal force and explosive make sure you frame some local terrorist group.
nezumi
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Apr 26 2005, 01:47 PM)
Dude, tasers to pistols is no comparison. The fifteen-meter cap kills tasers dead when it comes to effectiveness.

"A variant fires darts that contain high-capacitance batteries." SR3, page 277.

The only way it has a 15 meter limit is if you use the version that has the 15 meter wire. Presumably, that version continues shocking the victim for every combat turn after the first until it is removed.

(edited for not being able to type and read simultaneously)
Little Bill
A few things TS left out is that aside from a SWAT team and several patrol cars, we (well, the rest of the team - my character was just along for the ride at that point) also killed several squads worth of Souix military personnel and destroyed an APC, a helicopter, and seriously damaged a thunderbird. The Souix are unlikely to leave us alone at this point, no matter how far we run away. We're effectively international terrorists at this point.
Demosthenes
QUOTE (Little Bill)
A few things TS left out is that aside from a SWAT team and several patrol cars, we (well, the rest of the team - my character was just along for the ride at that point) also killed several squads worth of Souix military personnel and destroyed an APC, a helicopter, and seriously damaged a thunderbird. The Souix are unlikely to leave us alone at this point, no matter how far we run away. We're effectively international terrorists at this point.

So go hide in Afghanistan... devil.gif
hermit

Go to Yucatan. Work for the local terrorists. Hey, you have quite some experience in terrorism already. Put it to good use, and make your current problems an opportunity.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (nezumi)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Apr 26 2005, 01:47 PM)

"A variant fires darts that contain high-capacitance batteries." SR3, page 277.

The only way it has a 15 meter limit is if you use the version that has the 15 meter wire. Presumably, that version continues shocking the victim for every combat turn after the first until it is removed.

(edited for not being able to type and read simultaneously)

SR3, page 113, Weapon Range Table: Taser, Extreme, 13-15 meters. No mention of it applying only to wired versions.

~J
hermit
I guess this is another instance where things ahev to be house ruled (like with cellphone and laptop weight).
Kagetenshi
Why? It makes sense that their effective range would drop off extremely quickly.

~J
hahnsoo
QUOTE (hermit)
I guess this is another instance where things ahev to be house ruled (like with cellphone and laptop weight).

I thought this was fixed in Errata? SR3 Errata:
p. 287: Electronics Table [12]
The Concealability of the following items was changed: wrist-model cellphone (cool.gif, handset cellphone (10), earplug cellphone (12), pocket secretary (cool.gif, table top computer (4), pocket computer (cool.gif, wrist computer (6), printer (4), data display unit (6). The weights of the following items were also changed: telecom (5), handset cellphone (-), table top computer (3), printer (2), data display unit (1), headset unit (.5) and heads-up display (.5).

In any case, the range of a taser dart definitely is not dependent on the trailing wire (if that was the case, all you need to do is make a longer wire).
The Other DSE
As I recall range of a firearm usually isn't how far the projectile will travel, it's how far the projectile will travel *accurately*. I mean, if you take a pistol, aim it a a 45 degree angle and fire, the bullet will probably travel much farther than the general extreme range. (Those knowledgable in firearms please feel free to correct me on this).

Having said that, I'd be willing to be that having wires trailing behind the darts would really screw up the ballistics of the dart, meaning that it would be damned near impossible to hit a metahuman sized target over that range. Add to that the fact that tasers probably aren't rifled (I don't know if they are or not, but it would seem difficult to manage), and you have an item which can't hit the broadside of a barn.

Note that all tasers that we have right now rely on hitting the target with *two* darts. If you only hit with one, you've missed.

There are a couple of new techs out there being talked about right now (the "sticky shocker" of Splinter Cell fame and the "Plasma Taser" http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn3749 ), but the Plasma Taser seems like it might have some *major* range issues (aerosol spray over 10ft much less 10m) and the Sticky Shocker is launched from an M203 (40mm).

As for "high capacitance darts", well, I recognize this is 50 years in the future, but I'd suspect that your darts would probably have to be the size of small pens or something to get sufficient power. That would make a pistol sized taser have a rather small ammo cap (I'd probably make it a single shot cartridge).

Now, if you want to allow something the size of an M203, then we can start talking about some pretty good range on it. Among other things you could actually spin a self-contained projectile, thereby stabilizing it and giving it better range. I still wouldn't put it at much past 30m though.

*shrug* Anyone out there who knows more than me about this? Actually, let me rephrase that (since I don't actually know that much). Anyone else have any ideas?

The Other DSE

Kagetenshi
Another issue is that the darts need limited penetration (unless you want to only be able to aim at exposed skin) but, because they're specifically designed to be less-lethal, can't penetrate meaningfully at very close ranges. That results in fairly low acceptable launch velocity.

~J
The Other DSE
That results in fairly low acceptable launch velocity.

Hadn't thought of that...

eeewww... Wow. I'd never thought of a musket as accurate, but compared to a taser I bet it's a damn sniper rifle.

Considering that today's taser have an effective range of 10 *feet* from what I've been seeing, I think that the SR ruling of 15 *meters* is probably overly generous.

The more I think about it the more I think that the grenade launcher style taser would probably be the most likely possibility.

Anyone out there shot an M203 or something similar? What would the effective range be for an actual hit (not something a 203 normally cares about).

Come to think of it, maybe you could design a sticky shocker to be shotgun shell sized...

The Other DSE
Nikoli
And the America revolutionary muckets were only slightly less accurate compared to Modern AR17's. Also, the rifle that Quigley's rifle (Quigley Down under) has an effective range of 1000 meters. It's basically a circa 1800 sniper rifle.
hermit
I mean, if you take a pistol, aim it a a 45 degree angle and fire, the bullet will probably travel much farther than the general extreme range. (Those knowledgable in firearms please feel free to correct me on this).

The number of people dying in America yearly because of such accidents because some yahoo thinks bullets fired in the sky disappear is astonshingly close to the number of people dying in Afghanistan because firing salvos into the air at any major celebration is considered a great tradition. What goes up will come down, and will do so more or less at the same speed it was fired up. It's not possible to precisely hit stuff like than, but something WILL be hit.

As for "high capacitance darts", well, I recognize this is 50 years in the future, but I'd suspect that your darts would probably have to be the size of small pens or something to get sufficient power. That would make a pistol sized taser have a rather small ammo cap (I'd probably make it a single shot cartridge).

It could well have up to five shots, it'd just be a quite bulky magazine and an odd loading mechanism, but I doupt it's technically impossible. I have a hard time imagining a high-capacity battery of that size, but hey, it's 60 years in the future after all.

Another issue is that the darts need limited penetration (unless you want to only be able to aim at exposed skin) but, because they're specifically designed to be less-lethal, can't penetrate meaningfully at very close ranges. That results in fairly low acceptable launch velocity.

Okay, that IS a valid point for serious range restriction.

Considering that today's taser have an effective range of 10 *feet* from what I've been seeing, I think that the SR ruling of 15 *meters* is probably overly generous.

The taser German police is testing right now has, IIRC, a 10 meters range. I'll check on that, though.

EDIT: five meters, according to the German company that sells them
Kagetenshi
Just because people die from said bullets doesn't mean that it's meaningfully plausible to deliberately cloudshoot with a pistol.

~J
hermit
Just because people die from said bullets doesn't mean that it's meaningfully plausible to deliberately cloudshoot with a pistol.

Where did I say that? I said:
It's not possible to precisely hit stuff like than, but something WILL be hit.
Kagetenshi
Either there was an edit after I started writing or I managed to miss that last sentence, sorry.

~J
hermit
Nevermind. Happens to me too. smile.gif

IIRC, an German trooper was killed by such a stray bullet in Afghanistan about a year ago.
The Other DSE
QUOTE (Nikoli)
And the America revolutionary muckets were only slightly less accurate compared to Modern AR17's. 

Are you serious? I'm not meaning to flame here, but from everything I've heard muskets were only good for massed volleys because they couldn't hit the broadside of a barn...

Now a rifle from that period on the other hand might be far more accurate, but I'd still have a hard time thinking that it was close to modern rifles. I mean, from my understanding just the simple development of cartridges (and thus accurately measured and even powder charges) drastically effected the accuracy of firearms.

I guess I should ask what you mean by slightly less accurate as well as what you mean by the range of the rifle. Just doing a quick google search I found something that suggests that rifles in the 1860's were hitting targets at ranges of 2000 yards. That sounds pretty good until you find that the target was 24 feet wide and 12 feet high!

Anyways, this is probably fairly off-topic (not that this entire discussion of tasers isn't anyways)

I have a hard time imagining a high-capacity battery of that size, but hey, it's 60 years in the future after all.

Ditto on that one. I came up with the pen sized projectile for that reason, but even then I still have major trouble with that idea.

It could well have up to five shots, it'd just be a quite bulky magazine and an odd loading mechanism,

I thought the same thing, but didn't think that the entire weapon would still be "pistol-sized". At the very best it'd be the same concealability as a heavy pistol, and I'm a little skeptical that it'd even be that small if it had any reliable magazine.

I more envisioned something I think I've seen nowadays where the entire charge (battery, wires, and darts) are combined in one block which you just replace after you shoot it. Of course, tasers really aren't intended for the kind of high-intensity situations that make magazines necessary.

The Other DSE
Nikoli
British muskets were the volley type, non-rifled.

American Muskets were a step ahead in technology, they had rifling. They were far more accurate, out to 100 yards.
The sights suck, but the round would generally hit where you pointed the rifle.
The Other DSE
Ah... I guess I always thought that a musket was unrifled...

Thanks for the reply... makes sense now..
Nikoli
Easy to understand.
And, I could be wrong about that, but I've always heard that the American ones were that accurate, but the caveat is, to 100 yards, after that, the inherent instabilities of hand cast musket balls and irregularties in the packing tend to throw it off.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Nikoli @ Apr 27 2005, 03:10 PM)
British muskets were the volley type, non-rifled.

American Muskets were a step ahead in technology, they had rifling.  They were far more accurate, out to 100 yards.
The sights suck, but the round would generally hit where you pointed the rifle.

Huh? Care to quote a source on this? Rifles did not come into widespread use until mid-1800s, and the majority of weapons on both sides of the American Revolutionary War was the unrifled Brown Bess musket.
The Other DSE
Seems about right to me...

The article I found http://www.researchpress.co.uk/firearms/lr...lrhistory05.htm seemed to suggest that the current maximum effective range of modern longarms is about 600m.

I'd imagine that this is assuming hitting a human sized target, and not one of these 24ft x 12ft targets they talk about (broad side of a barn indeed).

hahnsoo
QUOTE (The Other DSE)
The article I found http://www.researchpress.co.uk/firearms/lr...lrhistory05.htm seemed to suggest that the current maximum effective range of modern longarms is about 600m.

From the article, 600m is the maximum effective range of the 5.56mm, not long-range shooting in general.
Foreigner
QUOTE (Nikoli)

...Also, Quigley's rifle (Quigley Down Under) has an effective range of 1000 meters.  It's basically a circa 1800 sniper rifle.

(edited by Foreigner)

Nikoli:

A couple of small corrections:

Quigley's rifle, the Sharps Model 1874, was introduced in 1871. smile.gif
(For some strange reason, the weapon didn't pick up a name until 3 years after it was introduced.)

Also, 1000 meters is quite conservative for a Sharps, range-wise.

In the Battle of Adobe Walls, Texas, in June of 1874, 29 people (28 men and one woman), mostly professional buffalo hunters and skinners, were beseiged by approximately 700 Cheyenne and Kiowa warriors led by, among others, Chief Quanah Parker.

Two of the men present were William Barclay "Bat" Masterson (his parents christened him "Bartholomew"--that's where the "Bat" comes from) and William "Billy" Dixon. Three people died, and several others were wounded. In addition, most of their livestock (read, "horses and pack mules") were either run off or killed, along with the few dogs they had with them. (One account says that one unlucky pooch was hit 37 times before expiring. The animal's owner, a man named Shadler, sleeping in the wagon under which the dog had been hiding, fared no better. His brother, sleeping in the same wagon, also died.)

During the course of the battle Dixon, using a .50-90 Sharps rifle, downed an Indian chief on horseback with a bullet to the chest at approximately 1538 yards, or 1406 meters (87% of a mile).

A .50-90 Sharps fired a .50-caliber bullet, using a maximum load of 90 grains of black powder. The standard bullet used with this and similar cartridges weighed approximately 1 ounce (there are 7000 grains to a pound; 437.5 grains/28.35 grams in one ounce--the bullet used by Dixon has been estimated to have weighed between 500 (1.14 ounces/32.4 grams) and 700 grains (1.6 ounces/45.36 grams).

(Incidentally, when you read of the Sharps "Big Fifty" buffalo rifle, the .50-90 is the one the writer means, whether or not he/she knows it. The more powerful .45-120 and .50-140 cartridges didn't come out until 1880 or so--long after the buffalo were finished as a commercial proposition.)

Using an approximate starting velocity of between 1100 and 1350 feet per second (335.28 to 411.48 meters per second), Dixon's shot would have taken 5.3 seconds to reach its target.

(Keep in mind that Dixon was not using a telescopic sight.)

In September of that year Dixon, while working as a scout/guide/interpreter for the Army, became one of the few civilians to win the Congressional Medal of Honor, for his actions in the battle of Buffalo Wallow, Texas, which was a part of the so-called "Red River War". In this case, Dixon and another scout, Amos Chapman, along with four troopers from General George Crook's Sixth Cavalry, were attacked by a numerically superior force numbering approximately 125 Cheyenne and Kiowa warriors. In the course of the fight, one trooper was killed, and all of the remaining members, except Dixon, were wounded. All six men received the Congressional Medal of Honor (one posthumously). Dixon's and Chapman's medals were later revoked because neither man was a member of the U.S. Army, but a review board restored the medals in 1989. (Dixon died of pneumonia in 1913, aged either 62 or 63.)

Incidentally, during the January, 1815 Battle of New Orleans, one particularly unlucky Scots Highlander in the service of His Royal Highness King George III was hit simultaneously in the head by two bullets at a range of approximately 240 yards. According to one account (on The History Channel, IIRC), the victim was hit in the forehead, the entry wounds being above each eye socket. The marksmen who fired the two shots were more than 100 yards apart in the American lines.

Also, during the Civil War ("American Civil War", to any DS'ers in Canada or elsewhere outside the U.S.A.) battle of Chickamauga, Georgia (September, 1863), U.S. Army Brigadier General William H. Lyttle came under fire from several Confederate sharpshooters simultaneously. Out of the twelve shots fired, three hit the general, and seven hit his horse.

On May 9th of the following year, during the Battle of Spotsylvania Courthouse, Virginia, Major General John Sedgwick, commanding officer of the Union Army's Sixth Corps, was killed at a distance of roughly 800 yards by a Confederate sharpshooter. Ironically, his last words were, "Why boys, they couldn't hit an ELEPHANT at this distance...", which he uttered barely a second before receiving a hit just below his left eye.

Also, an unnamed Union general was killed outside of Petersburg, Virginia, by a Confederate lieutenant--at an estimated distance of 2250 yards (2058 meters). Two members of the deceased officer's staff were also killed.

In all three cases, the weapon of choice was a British-made Whitworth sniper's rifle. The weapon was .45-caliber, and fired a heavy-for-the-caliber 580-grain bullet--essentially, the designer, Sir Joseph Whitworth, retained the bullet weight of the standard British Pattern 1853 Enfield rifle-musket, which like its Union-issue counterpart, was .58-caliber, but reduced the bore size to .45. What made the Whitworth so deadly was that it used polygonal rifling--the bore was basically a six-sided (hexagonal) prism, and the bullet was mechanically fitted to it. In addition, the barrels were compressed externally while the steel was still cooling, resulting in greater strength and rigidity. The weapons were incredibly expensive--$96 for the rifle alone, $120 with case and other accessories--compared to the $43 for the Sharps Model 1859 which was standard issue to their Union counterparts. (However, because they had to be smuggled in by so-called "blockade-runner" ships, the price for individual weapons often skyrocketed to as high as $500.)

However, the Confederacy didn't have a monopoly on marksmanship.

In a still-disputed account, a certain Captain John H. Metcalf was credited with killing an unnamed Confederate General at the incredible distance of "one mile and 187 feet" (1822 yards/1666 meters).

Contrary to popular belief, long-range marksmanship is not a Twentieth Century phenomenon. wink.gif

A.E./The Other DSE:

In the hands of a competent marksman, a Model 1911A1 .45 automatic is a viable proposition out to 300 yards. Granted, there aren't many who can utilize it to that potential, but I, for one, would not be willing to stand next to the target, however remote my chances of being hit might be.

(I personally watched my father knock sand and sawdust all over saltine crackers at a range of 300 yards at our local pistol range several years ago. The furthest out that targets can be placed on the range itself is 250 yards--the crackers were on the backstop, a large mound of earth and sawdust.)

--Foreigner
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (The Other DSE)
I mean, if you take a pistol, aim it a a 45 degree angle and fire, the bullet will probably travel much farther than the general extreme range.

A hell of a lot farther. For example, the effective range of the RK-62 is about 300 meters, but the bullet can easily travel 4.5km when fired at a high angle.

QUOTE (The Other DSE)
Anyone out there shot an M203 or something similar? What would the effective range be for an actual hit (not something a 203 normally cares about).

I haven't fired one, or any grenade launcher for that matter, but the official effective range of the M203 against point targets is 150 meters. In reality, I expect not many people can reliably hit a human much beyond 50 meters. However, this is hardly an optimal platform for less-lethal munitions, unless you already have lots of them and have people trained in using them -- as is the case with militaries, but hardly with shadowrunners.

QUOTE (Nikoli)
And the America revolutionary muckets were only slightly less accurate compared to Modern AR17's.

You probably mean AR-15? The Armalite AR-17 is a semi-automatic shotgun.

For a reasonable comparison, the US Army standard M16A2/A3/A4 firing the M855 Ball round can expect to fire within a 35cm diameter circle at 600 meters -- enough to hit a human torso, ignoring inaccuracy caused by the shooter or conditions not related to the weapon. A weapon with an effective range of 100 meters does not compare favorably.

Depending on the shooter and the conditions, and less importantly on the weapon and ammunition, modern militar/law enforcement sniper rifles have effective ranges against humans anywhere from around 700 to 1800 meters and beyond. The US Army M24 SWS has an official effective range of 1000 meters, the increasingly common .338 Lapua Magnum sniper rifles are effective to 1200 meters and beyond.

Accuracy of indirect fire with small arms: for another thread I dug up an article stating that in a particular test, bursts fired directly upwards with a .30-06 caliber machine gun dropped down in groups measuring about 25 yards in diameter -- hardly useful for engaging point targets.

Bullets fired very high won't come down very fast either: a US Army standard 7.62x51mm M80 Ball round (for the M60 and M240 machine guns) has a terminal velocity of ~70m/s (230fps). The reason why such falling rounds so often cause critical injuries is that they come at you (almost) directly from above, so they hit you in the head a lot.
Mortax
Also, one of the things that caused old muskits to not be accurate was the bullet. There were several points during the revolutionary war where they were firing balls of a size slightly too small for the barrel. (will look up the sizes later.) This is why the prevailing tactic of the time was to march in columbs and rows. That way you actually have a shot at hitting someone. this was also (one of) the reasons for a very high casualty rate in the Civil war. The weapons were much more accurate, but the tactics were the same.

As to rifeling, yes they were availible. In quantities? No. Reason? Hand forging the barrel of a gun is a PAIN IN THE ASS. Trust me. Been there, hammered that.
Putting rifeling in it? I'm not trying it. Also, the guns never lasted long, espesually matchlocks. After you couldn't shoot anymore, you used your gun as a pike or a club. (This is why some bayotets of the Revolutionary war were made to fit into the barrels.)
Raygun
QUOTE (Foreigner)
Also, 1000 meters is quite conservative for a Sharps, range-wise.

<snip>

During the course of the battle Dixon, using a .50-90 Sharps rifle, downed an Indian chief on horseback with a bullet to the chest at approximately 1538 yards, or 1406 meters (87% of a mile).

A shot like that is exceptional for any man-portable long arm, even today, and is extremely exceptional for a .50-90 Sharps in 1874, firing the blunt, "aerodynamically-challenged" patched lead bullets of the time. This kind of thing was by no stretch of the imagination a commonplace event for a Sharps rifle or the shooter of that time period, which is one reason why that particular story has persisted for so many years.

Repeatedly and reliably hitting man-sized targets at 1,000 meters with an iron-sighted Sharps rifle would be outstanding performance from any shooter (though it was accomplished regularly at the Creedmoor target range during the time period).

A .50-90 Sharps fired a .50-caliber bullet, using a maximum load of 90 grains of black powder. The standard bullet used with this and similar cartridges weighed approximately 1 ounce (there are 7000 grains to a pound; 437.5 grains/28.35 grams in one ounce--the bullet used by Dixon has been estimated to have weighed between 500 (1.14 ounces/32.4 grams) and 700 grains (1.6 ounces/45.36 grams).

Using an approximate starting velocity of 1100 and 1350 feet per second (335.28 and 411.48 meters per second), Dixon's shot would have taken 5.3 seconds to reach its target.

Which means that either A) said Indian chief had been sitting stock still on his horse long enough for Dixon to set up and execute his shot, B) Dixon lucked out big time, or C) the story is farcical. Dixon himself never claimed that it was anything more than a lucky shot.

(Keep in mind that Dixon was not using a telecopic sight.)

Which tends to add more questions to the whole thing. Have you ever look at something human-sized from 9/10ths of a mile away? A very tiny speck, if you can identify anything at all. Given the indian was supposed to be sitting on a horse, but even then, just a speck.

Contrary to popular belief, long-range marksmanship is not a Twentieth Century phenomenon.  wink.gif

You're certainly right about that. But the ranges at which targets can reliably be engaged have increased dramatically since then. Equipment and training that allow ground-based forces to repeatedly engage vehicle-sized targets beyond 1,500 meters with man-portable rifles are far more common these days. Most modern militaries accommodate it.

On December 30th, 2003 Stephen Thorne of the Canadian Press reported that a Canadian sniper, operating with US forces in Afghanistan, confirmed a kill at 2,430 meters (1.5 miles) with a .50 BMG McMillan bolt-action rifle, using US ammunition, correcting fire once. According to a sniper interviewed for the article, "Shots out that far are 60 percent skill and 40 percent luck, or vice versa."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012