Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR4 FAQ #5--The Real One
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Ellery
QUOTE (Bandwidthoracle)
My players and I where talking about how some of the attributes needed to be broken up, and how the magic skills needed a major change since SoTA:2064 came out.

Maybe you can explain, then, why the magic skills need a major change?
hermit
Well, making traditions more flexible while not overly complicating rules in itself is a good idea. It remains to be seen how it is implemented, but that's the second instance where the changes revealed aren't totally horrific to me.

Now, splitting the magic skills and the possible undoing of initiate grades and redoing of metamagic, on the other hand, sounds like it will screw up all high-level magican characters beyond any hope of conversion, and boy, that would suck ass.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (hermit @ May 15 2005, 05:20 PM)
Well, making traditions more flexible while not overly complicating rules in itself is a good idea. It remains to be seen how it is implemented, but that's the second instance where the changes revealed aren't totally horrific to me.

It would be easy to implement under the right circumstances.
  • All Traditions get dice bonuses for sorcery and conjuring, or none do.
  • All summoning and banishing tests were the same.
  • All the rules for learning magic in the traditions are the same.
  • Any dice pool bonuses are given a hard cap (this is from someone's attempt to make a Totem Creation Guide).
  • Make as many of the rules for Sorcery, Conjuring, Enchanting, and Astral Perception and Projection the same no matter who you are.
  • --Specifically, we can't have Witches using a different form of Anchoring than everyone else
  • Either prohibit metamagics at chargen, or make them available to everyone at chargen.
  • Eliminate special metamagics for PCs (e.g., eliminate the Movement Metamagic for Horse Shamans but leave Sacrificing).
Frankly, I'm not averse so much as actually giddy at the idea of treating all magical abilities as Metamagics. It could work well, and make Traditions quite unique (e.g., Houngans get Channeling like they had in SR2, and Witches get to keep Anchoring).

What they should absolutely NOT do is prevent any Tradition follower from ever being able to learn X Magical Skill or Y Metamagic. It will hurt any attempt at simplicity that way because now GM and Player have to keep track of what not to do, and that's not simple, is it?
mfb
frostPDP, given that they're completely restructuring how magic works--to include Magic being bought as if it were any other attribute--why would you assume it costs 30bp to be awakened? heck, why would assume that 30bp even represents the same relative value that it has in SR3?
Crimsondude 2.0
Yeah, it'd be streamlined if it's bought like every other Attribute, negating any need for more chargen rules.

Hey, so are we going to get an infinite number of spirits now, or one group of spirits? How are their attributes determined? What's the difference between them? What about Free Spirits, Insect Spirits, Toxic Spirits, Shedim, Wraiths, Salamanders, Nomads, Faeries, the Wild Hunt, etc.?
Bandwidthoracle
QUOTE (Ellery)

Well even the most magic loving member of our group thinks that the awakened are overpowered for how much you pay for them.

But mainly we where saying it was a shame that in SR there are no abscent minded professors and no exorcists. By splitting it up we get a lot more character variation. But the main thing is that astrall things just take too long and the rest of the team just has to sit there while the mage goes on astrall quests. (I'm the only one who seems to have this problem, most people seem to have it with deckers)
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Bandwidthoracle @ May 15 2005, 11:52 PM)
QUOTE (Ellery @ May 15 2005, 05:47 PM)

Well even the most magic loving member of our group thinks that the awakened are overpowered for how much you pay for them.

Well, that's a first.

But what is this about no absent-minded professors or excorcists? There are references to excorcists in several books. And the profs... God only knows how many of those there are out there.
Ellery
If you have that problem, use the "roll a bunch of dice, quick" method for astral quests instead of playing out scenes.

You can already have an exorcist by specializing in banishing. Granted, you can't have a pure exorcist; someone cannot be completely hopeless at conjuring and yet a master banisher. I'm not sure whether this will change in SR4, though--with attributes adding to all skills, one would think that conjuring would still be decent even without skill.
frostPDP
MFB, because generally when a game proposes there will be some form of "Conversion" for old characters, there has to be some relative comparison between old and new.

Ex: Designing a Street Mage with one system and another might give you slightly different results. That's something of a mistake, but it happens. With a small difference, that's fine.

I figure there will be some similarities in SR4. I figure conversion is possible, thus making my Sorcery 7 character the equivalent of a 7 in the three new skills. Minor power tweaking aside, if SR4 drastically cuts a Mage's power it's pulling the rug out from under the game balancing of everything in the existing plot.

I suppose the greatest thing I have is a fear that nonsense skill divisions will undermine an operating system that works fine. Your typical combat mage isn't going to focus much in ritual sorcery, so "game balance" won't be achieved in that way.

Furthermore the breaking up of firearms into various skills wasn't done properly. It seems to me (again, drawing on various new-age stuff of today and yesteryear) that the sorcery aspect of the new FAQ looks pretty decent, though I see "counterspelling" as simply using your mana to defeat someone else's control of their own sorcery. The Conjuring, however, looks vaguely broken. I'm no expert, but wouldn't the binding be done with the summoning itself?? I mean, unless you're an idiot who enjoys having his tools eat him at first oppertunity...

But I haven't seen a game mechanic yet, so you have a point that I am relating things back to SR3. That's all we really have to relate it to, considering they haven't said how magic is going to work precicely. Still, I'm on record as not completely trusting it.
blakkie
QUOTE (Ellery @ May 16 2005, 12:24 AM)
You can already have an exorcist by specializing in banishing.  Granted, you can't have a pure exorcist; someone cannot be completely hopeless at conjuring and yet a master banisher.  I'm not sure whether this will change in SR4, though--with attributes adding to all skills, one would think that conjuring would still be decent even without skill.

But without Skill you'd be Defaulting at best which was strongly hinted as still being problematic for characters, and at worst no Skill means you are not allowed to use the skill at all.

I know that i have found the way magic set up to be kinda a blunt tool for describing characters. You could play different types of characters within it, but they all sort of were...fuzzy and out of focus. They tended to look like each other, and cutting out the skills you didn't need for the character generally involved not using stuff that the character had bought (with BP and/or karma).

In that way I see the splitting out of Skills in the same vein as variable starting Magic.
Geko
QUOTE (Eldritch)
Well that just some of us speaking our peace, some of us are speaking positively about the change. It seems like 'reletless negativity' becuase those of us that oppose the changes presented to us seem to be in the majority. Those of you thta are positive about it either aren't posting, or aren't here smile.gif

I think this statement is misleading. According to the polls, and by actual number of individuals actually opposed to these changes, you are a minority. A very, very vocal minority.

Most people simply don't post 25 times per thread.

I'm not saying that looking at things critically and forming a negative opinion is wrong. But I do think that some here are starting to resemble poop-throwing monkeys, even if they didn't start out that way. Loss of credibility extends beyond simply being a stalwart and therefore removing oneself from the market.

If you have a point, you should be able to make it in no more than a few posts. Otherwise, you're posting just for kicks, ie: throwing poop.
Dawnshadow
The thing about the polls.. is they don't help really. People may have said 'yes' or 'maybe' and had it later change to no.. it's been a quite a while. I don't even remember what I answered.

I do know that I'm firmly in the 'no' now. My group isn't switching, and I don't like what I've seen. It's looking like an amalgamation of D&D and WoD.

WoD rolling, D&D-esque 'so simple a monkey could play it' and metamagic('feats'). I'm just not seeing any of the richness of the Shadowrun rules.

Disclaimer: This is all my opinion. Those who have more optimism, feel free to continue to keep it. Also, however, feel free to not try and start an argument with me over it.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Eldritch)
I know! Lets help Fanpro think of a new name for this new game they are designing!
And have a good day Patrick smile.gif

Greetings from Santa Fe, NM. Scenery's great, weather's great, glad you're all there and I'm here. nyahnyah.gif

That said, I'm trying to get some wiggle room from Rob regarding being able to talk a little more openly about what's going on. I think the changes to Magic are good ones, though I've yet to play them much (been a little busy).

And the day went well, thanks. smile.gif
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Nikoli)
Why on earth are you assuming that the SR3 point costs will be used in SR4?

Especially since it's been said time and again that the chargen system, while point based, isn't the point system from the SR Companion?
mfb
frostPDP, you're still making a lot of assumptions about how the chargen system will work. there's nothing to say that being a full mage will have the equivalent cost in SR4 that it did in SR3, or that skills will have the same equivalent cost, or anything.

in other words, i really doubt straight conversion will be possible at all, given the type of changes they've been talking about in the FAQ.
Jrayjoker
I am getting the feeling that there will be a lot of shoe-horning to get converted SR3 characters to comply with SR4.

I could see converting old magical skills to new magical skills based on scaled point buy costs from SR3 to SR4. And maybe specializations will have a weighting other than 1:1 for conversion purposes.

Unfortunately, I am just whistling in the dark. To quote Sgt. Schultz from Hogan's Heroes, "I know NOTHINK!"
frostPDP
MFB, my friend, I still think that whatever changes they make, Shadowrun will remain Shadowrun. Otherwise, it'll be Shadowrun + WoD + D&D in which case it isn't SR.

If straight conversion isn't possible, that would be a shame considering the leadups to the 2070 thing. It would actually be a horrible marketing ploy, since it would shut out any chance of me using 'Ol Bill as anything more than an NPC in the new world.

I don't expect perfect chargen or conversion, but I expect something that is recognizable. Otherwise I have to stand pretty firmly in the no department - The changes and streamlining are clever, but the game isn't the same.

Unless you wanna try to say Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights are the same, because simply changing the basic game format doesn't change the game. Which is clearly untrue.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Geko)
But I do think that some here are starting to resemble poop-throwing monkeys, even if they didn't start out that way. Loss of credibility extends beyond simply being a stalwart and therefore removing oneself from the market.

If you have a point, you should be able to make it in no more than a few posts. Otherwise, you're posting just for kicks, ie: throwing poop.

Oh, really?

What if you have multiple points to make, or have to constantly repeat yourself over and over and over again, which isn't exactly unheard of on DS.
mfb
even if SR is still SR, that doesn't mean that direct conversion will be possible--and even if direct conversion is possible, it certainly doesn't mean that characters built in SR3 will be balanced for play after being converted to SR4.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman)
Greetings from Santa Fe, NM. Scenery's great, weather's great, glad you're all there and I'm here.  nyahnyah.gif

You're not alone.

Damn, where'd I put those ninja monkey assassins...
Eldritch
QUOTE (Geko)
QUOTE (Eldritch @ May 14 2005, 01:46 PM)
Well that just some of us speaking our peace, some of us are speaking positively about the change.  It seems like 'reletless negativity' becuase those of us that oppose the changes presented to us seem to be in the majority.  Those of you thta are positive about it either aren't posting, or aren't here smile.gif

I think this statement is misleading. According to the polls, and by actual number of individuals actually opposed to these changes, you are a minority. A very, very vocal minority.

Most people simply don't post 25 times per thread.

I'm not saying that looking at things critically and forming a negative opinion is wrong. But I do think that some here are starting to resemble poop-throwing monkeys, even if they didn't start out that way. Loss of credibility extends beyond simply being a stalwart and therefore removing oneself from the market.

*shrug* I removed myself form the market the moment they made announcement. I felt (and still feel) that SR3 isn't so broken that it needs a new edition.

Each new release only confirms that this is not a good idea. You are getting an all new game, from a company that has yet to prove that they can create a system from scratch.

There are a few interesting nuggets here and there, but overall I really dislike the changes they are making.

Have I made that point many times?
Yeah.
Are people listening?
Dunno.
Am I a Poop FLinging Monkey?
Probably. (My wife thinks so smile.gif ) But Poop Flinging monkeys are ruling the world.
Do I really care that you are calling me a poop flinging monkey?
No.

I come here to discuss the new game. I try not to repeat myself, but it will happen. Which is not a first here at DS.

Shadowrun Reloaded
Shadowrun 2.0
Shadowrun II, First Edition (Of X editions)
Shadowrun, The Return of the Poo Flinging Monkeys
Poo Two, Poo on You.

blakkie
QUOTE (Eldritch @ May 16 2005, 02:10 PM)
*shrug* I removed myself form the market the moment they made announcement.  I felt (and still feel) that SR3 isn't so broken that it needs a new edition.

I come here to discuss the new game.  I try not to repeat myself, but it will happen.  Which is not a first here at DS.

A game you don't intend to buy? So what is the draw? You think Fanpro is going to change a game to suit someone that is steadfast in not wanting it?

The SR3 boat is about to sail. You don't think you'd do well to hussle over and board it instead of wasting your time here? : lick.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb @ May 16 2005, 01:56 PM)
even if SR is still SR, that doesn't mean that direct conversion will be possible--and even if direct conversion is possible, it certainly doesn't mean that characters built in SR3 will be balanced for play after being converted to SR4.

Ya, it appears that awakened characters at least are going to be full redos. Whether they are suitable or not for SR4 play likely depends on the quality of the redo in fitting it to the desired power level in SR4 terms relative to whatever other PCs it will be playing with.
Jrayjoker
Hell, we don't have enough information or hard numbers to know if an unmodified pedestrian is playable after conversion. I guess us poop throwers will get our exercise until it comes out in August.

That aside, the FAQs are vague enough to inflict apoplectic seisures on those of us who are following with a critical eye to the effects the change will bring. Don't get me wrong, I like knowing something (if only to have more poop to throw), but a little something can be more painful then a lot of nothing.

And don't forget, we asked for a FAQ blog, we should be glad they listened enough to provide us with one. And no, I didn't say you had to be satisfied with the amount of information we are getting, just glad that we are being heard in some small way.
Eldritch
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (Eldritch @ May 16 2005, 02:10 PM)
*shrug* I removed myself form the market the moment they made announcement.  I felt (and still feel) that SR3 isn't so broken that it needs a new edition.

I come here to discuss the new game.  I try not to repeat myself, but it will happen.  Which is not a first here at DS.

A game you don't intend to buy? So what is the draw? You think Fanpro is going to change a game to suit someone that is steadfast in not wanting it?

The SR3 boat is about to sail. You don't think you'd do well to hussle over and board it instead of wasting your time here? : lick.gif

Glutton for punishment?

Morbid curiosity? Like slowing down at a car accident....

I'm just really curious about what they are doing to my favorite game. So I'll stick around, discuss it, tear it up, and show interest in the few things I like so far.

I was initially interested in some of the Matrix stuff - but that last Fanpro-D letter kinda blew that. Patrick described it as 'badly translated' - dunno what that means. But what was translated seemed pretty clear - and a little Too Much.

So I will keep my fingers crossed. I hope SR continues, more books are publlished, novels, etc. And that I'll be able to glean a few tidbits for my SR3 Games.

Kagetenshi
QUOTE (blakkie)

This board is here to discuss Shadowrun. Not the most current edition of Shadowrun, Shadowrun. Every so often you get people asking SR2 questions. If the majority of people here stick with SR3 (not necessarily likely), this board will likely remain primarily SR3 discussion. If a number of people don't switch such that the board has two significant groups, such discussions will likely occur side-by-side.

The SR3 boat is here with no plans to depart anytime soon, and even if SR4 meets with near-universal approval I somehow doubt it will leave for months if not years.

~J
blakkie
By "board" I was intending the "Shadowrun 4" sub-forum, which i feel pretty confident is here to talk about SR4. Call me Sherlock Holmes, but i was tipped off by the forum title subtext "Discuss the upcoming Shadowrun 4 release, to be released at Gencon Indy 2005." grinbig.gif
Kagetenshi
Ah, I see. Well, some of us are still hoping that when the time comes we might not have to stay on our ship, and ignoring the problem won't make it go away.

Most likely neither will talking about it, but it's a better shot.

~J
blakkie
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ May 16 2005, 03:22 PM)
Ah, I see. Well, some of us are still hoping that when the time comes we might not have to stay on our ship, and ignoring the problem won't make it go away.

Most likely neither will talking about it, but it's a better shot.

~J

Ya, i completely get that take.

The reason i'm looking for is Eldritch's. He claims to have never wanted to, and never will move to SR4.
Eldritch
Reason??

They are tearing down my favorite rpg, and building something else.

Sure, they've only shown us bits and pieces, but those bits and pieced don't 'feel' like SR.

Blast me, flame me, call me a poo flinging monkey, thats how I feel.

And I come here to discuss it. To learn about it. To understand how others feel about it. And discuss it some more.

Penta
In other words, to throw poo in the limelight?
Ellery
Maybe if, through discussion, the developers end up understanding the concerns of people like Eldritch, they'll be able to make a product that Eldritch does recognize as SR and which will make him change his mind.

Eldritch--you wouldn't be opposed to that, would you? Granted, having to buy new books is annoying, but if the product was actually good, and actually SR (albeit with a modified set of rules that kept most of the good flavor of SR and dropped some of the things that are awkward), it'd be worth buying, right?

I'm certainly not saying that the devs are trying to do this--much less that they've tried and succeeded--but until the book is in print, some of us can hope that they will, and thus discussion is not merely illuminated high-velocity primate excrement.
Eldritch
Well yeah, it would be worth buying.

I will continue to buy the novels.

And I'm sure I'll buy the Almanac mentioned several weeks back (If it gets published in English nyahnyah.gif )

So, no, I'm not a total loss as a customer. But the rules I've seen so far - albiet just a small picture of the new rules - really are not that impressive. (For Shadowrun That is) The book would have to be very impressive at this point to woo be over. But I won't discount that it's possible.

Cause if I do see it, and like it, and buy it, and play it...Well I'd have to change my handle here at DS, and that's just a big pain in the butt. smile.gif

frostPDP
I haven't decided if I'm going to SR4 or not. If I see the rules and they uber-roxor, we'll do char conversions before the 2070 deadline and roll from there. If they really suck, when we get to 2070 then we'll upgrade.

Totally trashing Mages doesn't seem to make sense. You want game-balancing, that's fine, but totally changing things so Mages go from one function to another is destroying SR. Literally speaking - Shadowrun isn't the same because of the Decker-Hacker whatever changes, let alone mages as well?

But that's me. That's why we can discuss this - To learn more, to plan our next moves with our games, and to move on or not as we choose. Discussing the SR3 to 4 issues is the best thing we can do to remain addicted.
mfb
if you change how the world works, you necessarily need to change how the characters that interact with that world work. their function will, most likely, pretty much remain the same--but the way they fill that function will change, just as the rest of the rules change.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (frostPDP)
If they really suck, when we get to 2070 then we'll upgrade.

Why would you upgrade if the new rules suck?

~J
Critias
Because some of our parents didn't hug us enough as children, and we feel a need to punish ourselves sometimes.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Ellery @ May 16 2005, 03:29 PM)
Maybe if, through discussion, the developers end up understanding the concerns of people like Eldritch, they'll be able to make a product that Eldritch does recognize as SR and which will make him change his mind.

The problem I'm having is that so little is being made publicly available, and what is being made availible is so ambiguous and open to interpretation. With so little to work with, none of us can really say anything meaningful about the direction SR4 is going without the comments either sounding so general that they're easily ignored, or making extrapolations that are easily refuted as false by those who do have the whole ruleset in front of them. My objection to the FAQs is that the wording seems to be chosen, consciously or not, to allow the least amount of meaningful data to be distributed to the fanbase, while at the same time incite the greatest amount of irrational rage. It's as if the developers wanted to ensure that no meaningful dialogue ever developed between the fanbase, who don't know the rules, and the playtesters, who do.

I know that sounds stupid and reeks of conspiracy theories and such, but take a look at these forums, as an example. Normally this place contain dozens of intelligent, usually well-meaning people, but look at the irrational, bile-filled knee-jerking reactions that come out of them in response to the latest FAQs. Some of this is reacting negatively to change, sure, but the majority of it is reacting negatively to the unknown and the vague. We are being "informed" about the new game in a way that makes rational discussion very nearly impossible, and therefore not meaningful, and it annoys the heck out of me.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Normally this place contain dozens of intelligent, usually well-meaning people, but look at the irrational, bile-filled knee-jerking reactions that come out of them in response to the latest FAQs.

Dozens?
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ May 16 2005, 10:37 PM)
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ May 17 2005, 12:33 AM)
Normally this place contain dozens of intelligent, usually well-meaning people, but look at the irrational, bile-filled knee-jerking reactions that come out of them in response to the latest FAQs.

Dozens?

A few? *shrug* More than now, at least; more than in here.
Crimsondude 2.0
I wouldn't know. I'm an idiot.
Critias
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
I wouldn't know. I'm an idiot.

Second!
frostPDP
Kage, I mis-spoke. By upgrade, I meant "upgrade the metaplot without updating the rest."

The way I see it, the game of Shadowrun isn't made up with statistics. In most ways, I could use D&D and some ad-hoc DMming to create a Shadowrun-Like world. Shadowrun is a game I love because of the metaplot. I know how big of a geek I am.

To radically alter the way characters function, of course, necessitates a change in the metaplot's methodology. A huge change in the metaplot's integrity, at least for me (and I'm sure for many, many others), ruins it.

To quote Strong Bad, "A one that isn't cold is scarcely a one at all."
To borrow from him, "A Shadowrun that isn't Shadowy or Runny is not a Shadowrun."

Which ironically makes sense. If you don't keep stealthy or get the hell out when you can, you're probably dead...

[Edit-Jutsu] Yes, Eyeless, I am bile-filled. But if that means I am sometimes respectable, then I see it as an improvement wink.gif LOL I think the reason I am "reacting to the unknown" is because the known doesn't portend entirely (Not that some of the changes don't make sense - Some are very good) well; not because what is there is great and I am terrified they'll botch.
blakkie
QUOTE (Eldritch @ May 16 2005, 05:38 PM)
So, no, I'm not a total loss as a customer.  But the rules I've seen so far - albiet just a small picture of the new rules - really are not that impressive. (For Shadowrun That is)  The book would have to be very impressive at this point to woo be over.  But I won't discount that it's possible.

Well that makes it clearer to me why you are here.
Cause if I do see it, and like it, and buy it, and play it...Well I'd have to change my handle here at DS, and that's just a big pain in the butt. smile.gif

Yes, i was wondering about that if it came to pass that you caved into your Fanpro Consumer Ho side. wink.gif For what it's worth i'd just chuckle a bit and chalk it up mainly to how the FAQs were written.
Ellery
The way I see it, the game of Shadowrun isn't made up with statistics. In most ways, I could use D&D and some ad-hoc DMming to create a Shadowrun-Like world. Shadowrun is a game I love because of the metaplot. I know how big of a geek I am.

To radically alter the way characters function, of course, necessitates a change in the metaplot's methodology. A huge change in the metaplot's integrity, at least for me (and I'm sure for many, many others), ruins it.

Unfortunately, the rules determine the reality, and the reality determines the metaplot (in part).

For example, if you played a standard D&Dish SR game, your 15th level Cyber Samurai (with the Gun-Fu Master and TechnoNinja prestige classes) would be able to ignore gunfire, literally walking through hails of bullets to shoot or slice or whatever else his enemies (who would die instantly to his attacks). The rules say that power makes you nigh-invincible (except perhaps to others of near-equal power). The reality, therefore, is that there are classes of people whose combat abilities make them gods relative to others, who are in turn gods to others who are in turn gods to your average wageslave. The metaplot therefore has to reflect this social order to some extent.

At the other extreme, suppose you have a system where your Body score is how many boxes of damage you can take before dying, your basic light pistol does 8 boxes of damage, and you can only roll armor (not body) to resist damage, and armor only goes up to 4. In this system, it doesn't much matter who you are: if you're shot, you die--that's the reality. The metaplot therefore has to structure things so that people aren't shot unless they're going to die. (And you'd better not write any fiction where people get shot five times and still escape alive.)

Shadowrun occupies a middle ground between these two extremes currently, but with a rules rewrite there is the option to swing drastically one way or the other. Maybe this is what frostPDP is referring to in the second paragraph?--the meaning is a little opaque to me. But no-one should be under the illusion that the rules don't matter for reality and metaplot.

Saying that "Magic is Power" does not make it so, not if the rules make magicians weaklings, with all powers easily resisted and/or with crippling drain. Saying that "Magic is rare" does not make it so, not if the rules make it so you can create magical characters at negligible cost. Saying that "Magic traditions are diverse" does not make it so if the rules make them all identical. Combining these, then: with rules that say that magic is weak, common, and uniform, you cannot have a plot where, say, Amazonian mages drive back Aztlan due to their rare use of a potent local tradition.

Rules are integral to plot and setting. I'm not sure what frostPDP's position on this was, but it bothers me when people claim otherwise. There are multiple sets of rules that can support the same plot and setting, but there are many more sets of rules that cannot sensibly coexist with a pre-existing plot and setting.
Taki
"if you're shot, you die--that's the reality"

Are you sure only light pistols do exists ?
By the way the rest of your statement is correct, I still do not understand how so much people argue rules have no impact on background ...

I hope that in new background, contact weapon won't seems to be as ridiculous as before ... and runner to be less over-specialized (as in sr3 the only power path is to set up the char with only 6 in his score).
blakkie
QUOTE (Ellery @ May 17 2005, 05:08 AM)
Rules are integral to plot and setting.  I'm not sure what frostPDP's position on this was, but it bothers me when people claim otherwise.

I think saying the rules are integral to plot and setting can lead to the misconception that there is only one set of rules that could give an SR feel. Obviously not a misconception that you hold. But i'd still instead express it more along the lines that the outcome of playing by whatever rules, in terms of expression of relative power levels of different technologies and such, is integral to plot and setting.

In that sense the new wireless Hacking rules will definately constitute a change in the plot and setting (duh wink.gif ). But as long as that part of the rules doesn't overpower other aspects of the world (i.e. replace magic, or lead to some sort of "happy" 6th world) then it should still lead to a SR world with a very similar flavour. After all the SR plot has always moved on. As regrettable as SURGE was for many, SR survived that plot jog mostly intact.

There are multiple sets of rules that can support the same plot and setting, but there are many more sets of rules that cannot sensibly coexist with a pre-existing plot and setting.

Fortunately the ratio of those that cannot to those that can does not directly give the probability that Fanpro will release a SR4 that can. They are actively working to find one that can give the same level of character vulnerablility and such.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Ellery)
Rules are integral to plot and setting. I'm not sure what frostPDP's position on this was, but it bothers me when people claim otherwise. There are multiple sets of rules that can support the same plot and setting, but there are many more sets of rules that cannot sensibly coexist with a pre-existing plot and setting.

Just to clarify, I'm pretty sure you and frostPDP are agreeing with each other. You're just more eloquent than he is, so you get your point across more exhaustively. smile.gif
Jrayjoker
I would like to point out that the person running the game has a lot to do with the perception of the game as dark and gritty (or Shadowy and Runny as the case may be).

I don't forsee the changes to the application of magical skills as breaking the game's overall feel just yet. The feeling I get from the devblog is that magicians will be much more able to specialize, and may need to specialize earlier in order to have significant power early on in that character's life.

There have been a few threads lamenting the fact that a mage with 300 Karma is more potent than a Sammie with 300 Karma since I strated lurking here, so making mages spread it out for balance is not all bad to me.
frostPDP
Sleep deprevation/insomnia. Being up at 5 AM after three hours at a pool hall and two at a coffee house makes for a rather poor post, as does six hours of sleep and a very rude awakening I've posted elsewhere about.

To try to put my statement in a better context - The gist is correct that SR can exist without following the same rules it does today. The proof is fairly tangible - This is 3E, but much of the source material I've referenced from other versions (especially still-useful things) has the same feel to it because the systems, though different, are very similar. With the time-line there have been some (not too many) advances, some changes, and that's good.

Now we're looking ahead to an age of glorious wireless internet. That's cool. Calling them "Hackers" is a little un-Shadowrunny, but we get the point. Its a new world, and I can only assume there will be a decent back-story to the 2065 crash. If not, then its probably just silly. Why? Its simply not necessary to have a 5-year conversion of most systems happen solely as a result of a catastrophe. When the Matrix gives out, I highly doubt the world just sits back, smiles, and waits for things to be fixed. I'd presume it goes apey. I could be wrong, but the vibe of the game and its "humanitarian nature" seems to scream "this can't end well." If you want this change, however, it can be done with SoTA stuff rather than a whole new paradigm of internet stuff which, unless I'm wrong, we don't know much about.

The in-game effects of things which are simply rule changes, such as breaking up skills into mini-skills (ex: Firearms to about 6 different skills) tend to force in-game changes without out-of-game reason. On New Years Day 2070, my character shouldn't just lose effectiveness for no reason. He shouldn't go from "Oh look, there's a friendly group of gangers waiting to see a Fireball" to "...Crap, they wanna see what?! I can't do that anymore!"

So perhaps its xenophobia or the appearance of changes that work. Perhaps I've seen what happens with riddiculously high stats becoming the norm, as in my groups Vampire game - Nobody bothers to get skills. Worst of all, since I've seen nothing about chargen and have to presume that Shadowrun will remain Shadowrun no matter what, I have to presume that -some- level of translation (be it my C average in Spanish I and II worth - Rough but acceptable) will be possible.

Character sheets, in the long run, are not characters. They do, however, somewhat limit what you can and cannot do. A character with a Car skill of 1....Ain't a race-car driver. He can try, but chances are he'll wrap himself around a tree. Rifles 1 doesn't make you a sharp-shooter, it makes you a boyscout who's spent one too many hours on a rifle range. (And whatever DID happen to the Boy Scouts in 2060?)

A small change to my charsheet won't make my character a different person. It would be excusable by saying "Well, the power-rating system is different so he's just as strong, just not as strong as others, which we knew thus no big deal." Furthermore, breaking it up so that a Sorcery of 6 is now "equivalent" to three ranks of each new skill is fine. If three is average and people with every other skill keep their 6's, whatever the new equivalency might be, you have a small issue of character changes brought on by rule changes.

Since it seems universal, the rules should never force the characters or the game into a hole. The rules exist so we don't kill one another over our mountain dews (cokes, in my case) when one person thinks they did something and the other doesn't - Everyone has that least common denominator of "roll 6 dice against your five and see what happens." You know your armor class and the others' attack bonuses and you know how much damage an Ares Predator does in comparison to some light-pistol garbage.

Unless your group decides that one or the other does more or less damage. Which is fine. That's why rules are guidelines. For those who prefer to stay close to the guidelines, we shouldn't be punished with a reworking of our gameplay. I don't need to buy Shadowrun version anything - I can go 100% diceless and make stuff up. The rules are there to make this process more fun and simple, so why make my gaming complex and my character someone he's not? Anyway I'm rambling. Night, back to bed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012