Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR4 FAQ #5--The Real One
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Critias
QUOTE (blakkie @ May 19 2005, 06:49 AM)
Blah blah blah Gomer blah blah blah I suck blah blah blah Critias was mean to me while other people were doing his arguing for him almost word for word blah blah blah I don't want to play any more.

I think the answer you're really looking for is, "No, Critias. Even though you've decided to act like a grown up and argue with my suggestion and refute my logic, I don't want a shot at the title. LOLOMGROFLMAO! I'm gonna keep ignoring what you say and just act like a little jerk forever!"

You think dodging isn't important, you don't see how vital it is to the feel of Shadowrun combat (and it's survivability), and you refuse to go into any more detail about the Blakkierun Combat System ™. Explain to me, again, how this makes this side the loser of any argument? Just refute some of my logic, if you can. Feel free to be as insulting as you want while in the middle of doing so, but cowboy up and give it a try would'ja?

Or, at the very least, explain to everyone a little more detail about Blakkierun 4. Show us that you know what you're talking about by doing MORE than trash-talking SR3 (by expanding on your oh-so-hot-topic suggestions for SR4).
blakkie
Forever is a long time, Gomer. But you sure seem intent on building up enough momentum to make it there.
Critias
I have no idea where you're even going with that. Is it some sort of reference to the Blakkierun damage system?
blakkie
QUOTE (Critias @ May 19 2005, 06:20 AM)
I have no idea here you're even going with that.

Of course not. You are mad. Mouth foaming, crazy dog, ranting mad. Even if you were able to grasp an idea you'd want to ignore it.
Critias
QUOTE (blakkie @ May 19 2005, 07:27 AM)
Arf, bark, arf!  Woof, woof!  Arf, arf!

"What's that, Blakkie? Timmy fell down the well? And the basic damage multiplier for a heavy pistol, by default, is x2? Wow, I think that's a little steep. I'm not sure that multiplying successes by anything for damage leaves enough room between weapons to differentiate between them, while simultaneously keeping the combat from being absurdly lethal. Remember, it's important to keep weapons (even with the same class) different enough from one another that dikote, bursts, or special ammo can still have room to effect, but to also not increase your damage multiplier by too much, too fast!"

Arf, bark, arf!  Woof, woof!

"Unarmed/Light Pistol/Knife/SMG: x1
Dikoted Knife/Sword/Heavy Pistol/Assault Rifle: x2
Dikoted Sword/LMG/Shotgun: x3
Sniper Rifle/Grenade: x4"

"Really Blakkie? Did I hear you right? Golly. That sure does sound dangerous. And burst fire kicks it up by +1 per three shots fired? Really? Wow. How's flechette ammo or EX fit in? How many health levels does someone have with your combat system, in order to make it possible to die from a single attack, but also possible to survive one? What about spells? Or called shots? How do explosions stage?"

So. Should I just keep making your perfect system (or, at least, your "better in every way than SR3 system") up, or are you going to, I dunno, back up your arguments by sharing some information with the rest of us? You keep picking on SR3 and praising the (imaginary) SR4, but you don't have anything to show us about Blakkierun. If it's so much better than this horrible pile of poop we all call SR3 (that you keep claiming we're "stuck in," when we try to argue with you), why don't you share more with us? When I expressed my frustration a few pages back, that there was just too much to talk about, and then when later you mentioned there was "a lot of threads within this thread," I just decided to pick one such sub-thread and run with it. Right now I'm curious about how your hypothetical damage/combat resolution (expanding on the one without dodges) is so great. So sell us on it. Don't just bash Shadowrun, sell Blakkierun.
blakkie
QUOTE (Ellery @ May 19 2005, 03:28 AM)
QUOTE (blakkie)
If you can't see immediately how that changes the rules rather than extends the magic system then you are using "extend" to mean a very different thing.

It looks to me like under the new rules you can do everything you could do in the old rules, plus you can swap traditional magical powers for metamagics at a price (as an edge that costs build points). Where is the change as opposed to an addition?

It reads to me that he created a new set of rules to replace [edit]parts of[/edit] the existing ones for Magicians. In these rules all the magic skills are accessed by Metamagic. So character creation building has been changed around for Mages. To build something equivalent to a canon Magician you take the required metamagics to get the skills you want.

Of course you have the benefit of access to the full document. So is that about right?

P.S. Do you have a link for the archive? Or is this a private or semi-private archive that the files are in?
Geko
Soak vs. Dodge = Monkeyshit

Ellery, I see your point.

From what I gather, it seems quite likely that they will move towards something like a roll magic+skill vs. TN5 to get effects. That would certainly be modular enough to give developers flexibility when creating new traditions, skills, powers, concepts, etc.

But would that mean that it only leaves expansion to mean giving the DM new ideas as to what happens? Not entirely. If the core mechanic is applicable to anything, the complexity can come from elsewhere, allowing more modularity, and ultimately, more options.

Where is "elsewhere?" Skills, powers, spells, cyberware...the fun stuff.

What would these things add in game terms? Circumstantial extra dice, bonuses to skills, bonuses to attributes. I'm not quite sure what else, since we know the TN is neutered...I mean fixed. Some of ya'll might have more/better ideas. I think I might have even seen some posted...

So, a 'rigger' getting +3 reaction when driving from their cyberware wouldn't be different in game terms from a hypothetical Vehical Adept getting the same from powers. The bonuses might be better and/or more acessible, or they might not. But the developers have these kinds of options.

Essentially, skills, attributes, powers, spells, gear, etc. retain their importance, and actually become the focus. They also become more versatile, because they're not bound by the mechanics whose realm they fell under. They can sort of cross-over.

I basically think that ultimately, the problem they're percieving is more systemic than specific, and that's what they were saying/have been saying with all of this. I think they might have used magic in this FAQ because it's not the most drastic of the changes they're making. But I am not a mind-reader either. These are just my impressions, and they assume alot.
blakkie
QUOTE (Wireknight @ May 18 2005, 01:19 PM)
If those who are writing the rules don't give some kind of accounting of what problems the changes are inspired by, then we're kind of left in the dark as to whether or not we agree with the basic idea that those things are problems, and we're less sure that the final product is going to fix what we view as problems, or "fix" things we never believed were broken to begin with.

So what if you don't agree that there was a "problem" (or even just room for improvement?) with the one or two particular example problems they gave?

I think what you need to keep in mind that it appears that they are laying the groundwork robust enough for Fanpro to extend. Customers can still make use of the structure, but customers have more lattitude building extensions since many (such as yourself) tend to be more tolerate new special case mechanisms and deveations from canon when it is their own house rules. If Fanpro did that sort of stuff (again) then we'd end up right back to new and overriding rule mechanisms sprawled over multiple books.

These problems are hard sells individually since so many SR people have grown accustomed to rolling their own and making special rules lots of specialized one-of rules. Hey the canon supplements do it, so why not?

About nine posts below your post (back on page 9, by standard page size) are my thoughts on why it was a good move to limit the examples to the other 3 Q/As. If you look at those 3 answers again you'll see one or two imply an possible area of concern for lack of a robust mechanism to support extensions with a minimal of new rules. Why do i say this? Because they appear to be adding such support in those locations. So we have adding traditions, which is a definate area, and metamagics reusing core Skills instead of spawning new Skills. The second one might also be an example of eliminating unnecessary complexity. Even the Q/A about splitting the base Skills of Sorcery and Conjuring is likely tied into the Metamagic support, but also it allows spreading around the attributes links among magic skills so you don't have one Sorcery attribute and one Conjuring attribute when you factor in goal two (Skill+Attribute as a die source is going to be common across all Skills).

I never said there was any given person that said that -everything- not on the list was gone. The problem was logic that roughly followed this: The example most important to me should have been important enough to Rob to include, otherwise it must be gonzo. No, this wasn't everyone. But oddly i found the reaction to this FAQ more subdued. Was it because it was better authored? I suspect partly so. Of course it could also be less people hanging around? wink.gif Oh, and to let you know up front no i'm not going to go sift through month old posts for examples for you. Remember it, don't remember it, never were here and don't believe me. *shrug* Take a look around and tell me that it is such a stretch for the people here.

So Rob gave an outline of the guiding principles of what they were doing, and basically said that all of magic is fair game for save for the feel of the game and Magic in it. They also gave 3 glimpses of the design goals in action. To correct myself from before, Rob did risk a small 3-item incomplete list in the last paragraph of the last Answer, but the items seem to have been reasonably well chosen and camoflagued by everything before it. smile.gif

I don't think expecting a direct and included example(or two!) of what's wrong, when you say things are wrong, is something unreasonable to expect.

How critical is it really which problem label they hang on what, compared to what they replace the pieces with? You'll (potentially) be paying for and playing the parts they design, not the reasons that they had for removing the old. To that end you have 2 or 3 examples.

P.S. Yes, generally Ellery posts a cut or two above....some others. I have even specifically mentioned this at one point. But spotless as the driven snow? Hah. Actually maybe you should do a quick self-check too? You certainly were laying the sarcastic.gif on pretty thick. So you can save the civics lecture till your own house is spotless.
audun
QUOTE (Ellery)
QUOTE (blakkie)
If you can't see immediately how that changes the rules rather than extends the magic system then you are using "extend" to mean a very different thing.

It looks to me like under the new rules you can do everything you could do in the old rules, plus you can swap traditional magical powers for metamagics at a price (as an edge that costs build points). Where is the change as opposed to an addition?

It's borderline whether it's a change or just an addition. You add a new rule which changes what kind of Awakened characters you can create. It's a far more major change than anything possible within canon SR3 rules (which freelancers has to consider).
QUOTE (Ellery)
QUOTE (audun @ Apr 19 2005 @  05:04 PM , Topic 8256)
MitS was written in a way that permitted no new stuff to be added. There was two options for introducing new stuff in SR3 magic. One was to introduce new metamagics (T:AL, SOTA2063), the other was to tweak and bend the existing rules (Euromagic in SOTA2064).

There's also adding spells, adding adept abilities, adding spirits, and so on, all of which has been done.
That was too obvious to mention. My point is that while it isn't impossible to introduce new concepts in SR3 magic, it is hard to do it without contradicting canon.

So, basically, with SR3, you either add to what you've got, or you change things.

Isn't that true for any system of rules?

Well, if you change the rules, it's not the same rules any more. And if the current rules already tries to cover the things you want to add, but does it poorly you have to change the rules. MitS did cover a lot of things it shouldn't have, and did it poorly. (p24-26 is my prime example). So: No, that is not true for any system of rules.
Eldritch
SR3 sucks.

That's what I'm tired of hearing - either worded politely trhought he faq, or straight up form other posters.

We've all been playing SR3 for sometime now - and liking it. We've all been involved in discussion about it here at DS. And quite often very emotional discussions. All of which proves that SR3 isn't a Bad Thing.

Now Fanpro announces Sr4 and the lemmings are lining up behind it.

mfb
speak for yourself. i like SR3's potential. i despise much of the execution.
SirBedevere
I agree mfb, the execution of many SR3 ideas leaves something to be desired, aka they suck. What worries me is that as the SR4 system is going to be completely new, are the good ideas in SR4 (and I've heard a few) going to be well presented or are they going to suck? I'm not saying they are, but with a new system to design are the devs and playtesters really going to have enough time to sort out things that are wrong.

The things that are wrong with SR3 are well known, people on DS have been discussing them for a long time. We don't even know where the flaws in SR4 are!
mfb
i'm not going to let that stop me. first complaint about SR4: what the hell is up with all these goddamn monkeys?
hobgoblin
its not the monkeys you should worry about, its the beavers! the beavers i tell you!!!
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (Eldritch)
SR3 sucks.

That's what I'm tired of hearing - either worded politely trhought he faq, or straight up form other posters.

We've all been playing SR3 for sometime now - and liking it. We've all been involved in discussion about it here at DS. And quite often very emotional discussions. All of which proves that SR3 isn't a Bad Thing.

Now Fanpro announces Sr4 and the lemmings are lining up behind it.

Nah, SR3 has exploitable errors, inconsistant rules between some disciplines, and rules bloat in may areas. I love the game and the universe. I am used to the mechanic (and still learn new things about it every week).

SR4 will be a hard sell to the hardcore fans here, and all our hopes are tied into our personal agendas.

Combative posts aside, the discussion here is a way to (hopefully) let the members of the dev team who visit here know about our hopes and fears. Hopefully it helps us get an end product we can enjoy as much as we have SR1-3.
Jrayjoker
In addition and slightly on another topic...

This is a great place to "..vent thy folly someplace else," to paraphrase the Bard.

mfb
QUOTE (blakkie)
But in the end i repay what i am given.

that goes both ways, you know. i don't take your arguments seriously because you've shown, in previous debates with Ellery, that you're likely to respond with "LOL" to a valid point.
Lady Anaka
QUOTE (mfb)
i'm not going to let that stop me. first complaint about SR4: what the hell is up with all these goddamn monkeys?

You noticed? See, we thought if we gave them wings, it might be more easily accepted. Everybody needs a few more winged monkeys, right?
mfb
i have noticed a surfeit of winged monkeys in my life. but seriously, how do you expect to be able to model them if you stick to a static TN of 5? winged monkeys have two wings and a tail, remember. that's a lot of complexity to stuff into one TN!
Eldritch
Winged poo flinging monkeys....Cooooollll

Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (audun)
It's borderline whether it's a change or just an addition. You add a new rule which changes what kind of Awakened characters you can create. It's a far more major change than anything possible within canon SR3 rules (which freelancers has to consider).

Yeah, because SR3 didn't contradict anything from SR1 or SR2 with regards to magic, except grounding, astral travel through earth, astral travel through mundane biomass, Anchoring, Adept Improved Reflexes ...
Shadow
QUOTE (SirBedevere)
What worries me is that as the SR4 system is going to be completely new, are the good ideas in SR4 (and I've heard a few) going to be well presented or are they going to suck?

Well it's a completely new system from a company that has never made an original system before. With a few notable exceptions they have done a fine job on adding to and modifying the SR3 universe. So I leaned to trusting them... that was until the FAQ's started coming out and the purposeful misrepresentation of the SR4 system started.
frostPDP
I have to confess, when it comes to SR's systems it was easier to teach it than D&D

"Okay so your constitution is 18, that gives you +4"
"So it becomes 22?"
"No, its 18 but you get a +4 to everything you do."
"But that makes it harder!"
"No...Meh never mind, its better!"

It was very easy to say "You have a skill of 5, roll your skill."

Easy to learn, but as we can see its not entirely foolproof. Nothing is. SR4 is not going to come out and make a miracle out of a molehill. It won't even make a mountain, I bet, because as we can see people are arguing over every new bit of information.

I'm leery of the Vampire the Masquerade style "roll your skill and attribute." I could have an attribute of 1 but an immense amount of skill and decpatitate someone it would otherwise take a miracle to hurt due to armor, thick skin or whatever.

I'm assuming, of course, that it'll be similar to VtM but it might well not be. It might be COMPLETELY different. Its not even a bad idea. I'm leery of how much more dangerous the Grade 5 initiate with 11 dice to throw from his Magic rating alone will be than the guard who has a 3 (average) in a weapon and a 3 (average) in his stat.

But until we actually see a mechanic, most of this is just arguing in outer space. When there's a mechanic we can look at it, say "this is good, this bad," and judge which system is better. It might not even be the same game when it comes to the system, but a game is not made by the system unless its poorly made to begin with.
Ellery
QUOTE (audun)
Um, so being able to swap out, say, Warding, for, say, Quickening as an edge is a bigger change than adding all metamagics, free spirits, watchers, voodoun, path magic, and so on? I don't think so. Does it make the game different? Yes! Do additions make the game different? Yes! That doesn't mean this is a change to the core rules. It's just another extension that works fine within the SR3 framework, like many others do.

QUOTE (audun)
QUOTE (Ellery)
There's also adding spells, adding adept abilities, adding spirits, and so on, all of which has been done.
That was too obvious to mention. My point is that while it isn't impossible to introduce new concepts in SR3 magic, it is hard to do it without contradicting canon.
Are you claiming that adding spells, adept abilities, spriits, and so on, contradict canon? Or that they don't, and they're all fine, but they're not new concepts?

QUOTE (audun)
Well, if you change the rules, it's not the same rules any more. And if the current rules already tries to cover the things you want to add, but does it poorly you have to change the rules.  MitS did cover a lot of things it shouldn't have, and did it poorly. (p24-26 is my prime example).
So that I don't put words in your mouth, could you tell me what you think is poor about that section?

QUOTE (Geko)
From what I gather, it seems quite likely that they will move towards something like a roll magic+skill vs. TN5 to get effects. That would certainly be modular enough to give developers flexibility when creating new traditions, skills, powers, concepts, etc.
Sure. But how is that more modular than rolling skill vs. variable TN to get effects? Given that you can change TN, #dice rolled, and successes needed with the old system, and you can change only the # of dice rolled and successes needed in the new one, the old system was more flexible. So this doesn't really answer the question of how to make things more flexible and unified. You give some generic suggestions later on--how the same mechanic can be applied to everything--but this is true of SR3 as well. Which leaves me to continue to wonder what about SR3's magic system they disliked so much. Spellcasting works the same way for everyone; conjuring almost so (the main difference being that one is immediate and one takes hours, so a difference in rules is necessary). How do you get much more modular than that? Spirits are just another type of spell, now? (Or spells are a type of spirit?) So I more-or-less agree with much of what you said, but unfortunately it doesn't really help understand what the FAQ allows us to conclude about the SR4 magic system.

QUOTE (blakkie)
It reads to me that he created a new set of rules to replace [edit]parts of[/edit] the existing ones for Magicians. In these rules all the magic skills are accessed by Metamagic. So character creation building has been changed around for Mages. To build something equivalent to a canon Magician you take the required metamagics to get the skills you want.

Of course you have the benefit of access to the full document. So is that about right?

QUOTE (blakkie)

QUOTE (Wireknight)
You could theoretically generate a character who can conjure all types of spirit from one category, and who has sacrificed their spellcasting, category-by-category, to gain five metamagics. Every change you make tacks on a little more to the cost, so a major shift like that one would require, at 5 changes, 1+2+3+4+5 = 15 build points.

A less substantial change might be to replace the ability to create wards with Invoking, and the ability to cast Combat Spells with Channelling. That'd only cost 3 build points. Either way, I think it was a fairly simple extension of the system that made things a lot more flexible.
It reads to me like you replace abilities that canon mages have with metamagics at a cost of extra build points. Doesn't it read that way to you? How is that more of a "change" to the core system than any of the other edges and flaws (where you can pick up ambidexterity, gain or lose affinity for specific skills, etc.)?

The document is available, but that's beside the point. Plenty of information has been presented here to understand what is going on, if you read the posts. You don't even need to read between the lines, really--the lines say what is going on.

QUOTE (blakkie)
It's armour (manufactured, magical, or natural) and dodge that D&D combines into a defense number.
But even D&D acknowledges that this is a stupid way to do this when it comes to magical attacks delivered by touch. So you have a weird fragmented mechanic--one DC for touch attacks, and one DC for damaging attacks. And if you swing a sword dripping with burning acid, then...? Whoops, the mechanic is broken.

That's the whole reason why dodge and soak / resistance to damage need to be separate. Sometimes it doesn't matter whether you're hurt less because you're tough as nails, or you were only struck a glancing blow. Either way, you're mostly fine. But sometimes it makes a difference. It's hard to dodge 50 bullets at once, but it doesn't matter to the side of a tank whether the bullets hit one at a time or 50 at a time--they still aren't going to do much. Regardless of how much armor you have, it's hard to resist being hit by a high-velocity explosive 30mm shell. But if it doesn't actually hit you, you might be in pretty good shape.

So dodge and soak are different. If they're separate, a lithe elf might be good at avoiding fire from a known sniper, while his armored troll buddy would be toast...but against a bunch of thugs with light pistols, the elf would be in big trouble, while the troll would wade in and take the pests out. If they're collapsed, there's no distinction. And there's no good way to handle thing like contact poisons, touch-delivered spells, paintballs, and other events where being hit is not the same as being missed but not being injured by the physical impact.

QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (blakkie)
To sum up, IMO a person like Jon Szeto needs a strong editor to cut and cut and cut relentlessly at his system. To remind him everyday that "brevity is wit".
Oh, and it's, "Brevity is the soul of wit," not "brevity is wit." The latter makes no sense.
Others have mentioned that to me before. I know the original, but my version's shorter.
t's also wrong. Brevity is not wit, nor is wit brevity.
It's not fully accurate, but full accuracy isn't always needed. Sometimes close enough gives better results, like where i suggested using it.
You know, this discussion is following exactly the same pattern as the soak vs. dodge discussion. Maybe there's a fundamental lesson here--ergo, that blakkie is unconcerned about accuracy. Wit involves intelligence, clever thinking, fast responses, and humor. Brevity is just short.

The R3 rules could be made a lot shorter by explaining them incompetely. That would give worse results--but it's the fastest way to make them shorter. And speed is good, so that must be the way to go! Or maybe not.

There's a reason why the quote is "Brevity is the soul of wit." It requires some wits to understand why: the word "soul" conveys that something is central, important; that without it, you will not be alive--but there is more than just a soul. And this is true: brief, snappy, insightful comments capture the mind in the way that long-winded, expanded sentences--such as this one--do not. But it does not mean that something becomes witty just because it is short. "I am Ellery" is short. It's not particularly witty, though. "No more nukes!" is also brief but not witty.

QUOTE (Albert Einstein)
Things should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.
Wounded Ronin

Wow, this was a really long thread.

So, the conclusion is that SR 4 sucks? No, wait.... wink.gif
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Ellery @ May 19 2005, 05:15 PM)
It reads to me like you replace abilities that canon mages have with metamagics at a cost of extra build points. Doesn't it read that way to you? How is that more of a "change" to the core system than any of the other edges and flaws (where you can pick up ambidexterity, gain or lose affinity for specific skills, etc.)?

Well, don't forget all the cool magical edge "knacks" you could pick up in the SR2Comp. One of my favorite story-only PCs was an Adept who could cast Improved Invisibility. But the spirit ones were cool. It's a shame that they somehow disappeared from existence in SR3. I wonder what you call something like that? You know, when you say something is so and then turn around and say it isn't? There should be a word for that.

QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (blakkie)
To sum up, IMO a person like Jon Szeto needs a strong editor to cut and cut and cut relentlessly at his system. To remind him everyday that "brevity is wit".
Oh, and it's, "Brevity is the soul of wit," not "brevity is wit." The latter makes no sense.
Others have mentioned that to me before. I know the original, but my version's shorter.
It's not fully accurate, but full accuracy isn't always needed. Sometimes close enough gives better results, like where i suggested using it.
You know, this discussion is following exactly the same pattern as the soak vs. dodge discussion. Maybe there's a fundamental lesson here--ergo, that blakkie is unconcerned about accuracy. Wit involves intelligence, clever thinking, fast responses, and humor. Brevity is just short.

There's a reason why the quote is "Brevity is the soul of wit." It requires some wits to understand why: the word "soul" conveys that something is central, important; that without it, you will not be alive--but there is more than just a soul. And this is true: brief, snappy, insightful comments capture the mind in the way that long-winded, expanded sentences--such as this one--do not. But it does not mean that something becomes witty just because it is short. "I am Ellery" is short. It's not particularly witty, though. "No more nukes!" is also brief but not witty.

Well, it's also provably false. But since when have such niceties as that ever stopped anyone here?

BTW, that was not the end of the discussion. The end of the discussion was my "*blinks*" post, because when I read blakkie's response I was literally IRL speechless.
Ellery
When you say something is so and then turn around and say it isn't? There should be a word for that.
Eh, I'd go with two words--it's a little more charitable.

Flip-flop.
Penta
More properly, it's a retcon.
blakkie
QUOTE (Ellery)
QUOTE (audun)
Um, so being able to swap out, say, Warding, for, say, Quickening as an edge is a bigger change than adding all metamagics, free spirits, watchers, voodoun, path magic, and so on? I don't think so. Does it make the game different? Yes! Do additions make the game different? Yes! That doesn't mean this is a change to the core rules. It's just another extension that works fine within the SR3 framework, like many others do.

It's the addition of a mechanism rule. Notice that he created a new mechanism for the character build that involves metamagic purchase at character creation.

QUOTE (audun)
QUOTE (Ellery)
Are you claiming that adding spells, adept abilities, spriits, and so on, contradict canon? Or that they don't, and they're all fine, but they're not new concepts?

Some of the spells added are fine. But some of them redefine things like the meaning and use of Force or what a success on the Sorcery test means. This is really about rules sprawl, where related and interacting rules get spread over a number of books.

Do not confuse rules with stats. Rules are things like gaming procedures, and definiton of terms used i the game. The rules also include the definition of the parameters that describe items, spells, characters, abilties, and so on. Stats on the other hand are information about a specific instance of things defined in the rules.
blakkie
QUOTE (Ellery @ May 19 2005, 05:15 PM)
QUOTE (blakkie)
It's armour (manufactured, magical, or natural) and dodge that D&D combines into a defense number.
But even D&D acknowledges that this is a stupid way to do this when it comes to magical attacks delivered by touch. So you have a weird fragmented mechanic--one DC for touch attacks, and one DC for damaging attacks. And if you swing a sword dripping with burning acid, then...?

Two choices, assuming there is enough acid to do damage by contact only. The first is to force the attacker to choose before rolling what kind of attack (touch or normal) will be attempted. This is the one that is usally suggested and chosen, mainly to avoid rule abuse with touch range spells. The second is to compare the roll first to the normal AC. If it hits damage is sword + acid. If it doesn't hit then compare to touch AC. If that hits acid only.

Personally i've ruled the later, and not see much if any abuse of it by players.

Whoops, the mechanic is broken.

So exactly how do you handle an acid coated sword in SR3 rules? Rules that ignore the possibility all together is better than what you describe as "broken"?

BTW i'm not suggesting that D20 would be a good thing for SR (i think the opposite). Nor am i suggesting that SR combat accomedate for touch-only attacks. The SR world is such that the cases you could justify touch-only are fairly rare. There just aren't enough acid coated swords to make the extra weight in the rules worthwhile. :^)

That's the whole reason why dodge and soak / resistance to damage need to be separate.

No prob them. wink.gif

That said my idea for reducing it to one roll did NOT have armor combined with dodge. It didn't generate a die roll though because it's damage reduction was a constant based on it's quality.
blakkie
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ May 19 2005, 09:26 PM)
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (blakkie)

Well, it's also provably false. But since when have such niceties as that ever stopped anyone here?

BTW, that was not the end of the discussion. The end of the discussion was my "*blinks*" post, because when I read blakkie's response I was literally IRL speechless.

Ah yes, beacons of intellect that you are. You speak words of Truth like unto God. But wait, what is this mention of a "coded mantra" i made? Nah, that is nothing. Carry on with your doggedly literal, narrowly scoped readings. Afterall that is theOne True Way.

QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (blakkie)
But in the end i repay what i am given.

that goes both ways, you know. i don't take your arguments seriously because you've shown, in previous debates with Ellery, that you're likely to respond with "LOL" to a valid point.

As i pointed out in that thread, and incidentally also early in this thread, the LOL was NOT a response to a "point", valid or not. It was a response [edit]more of a reaction really[/edit] to Ellery's posturing fluff at the end of his post. Like begat like. Look back to that thread if you wish. It also wasn't the only thing in my post.
Grinder
You have too much free time, don't you? wink.gif
Jrayjoker
Don't we all?
blakkie
QUOTE (Grinder @ May 20 2005, 03:03 PM)
You have too much free time, don't you?  wink.gif

At times alot. Then i'll be too busy to spit for 2 month straight. That's the nature of my job.
Ellery
QUOTE (Blakkie)
So exactly how do you handle an acid coated sword in SR3 rules?

It changes the power. Maybe you can find where this is done? Changing the power is a good quick compromise. It makes armor less effective against the attack, which is exactly what you want.

If you want to do more work for cases where even a change in power isn't good enough, you could have two damage codes on one item.

QUOTE (blakkie)
Rules that ignore the possibility all together is better than what you describe as "broken"?
Huh? See above.

QUOTE (blakkie)
It's the addition of a mechanism rule. Notice that he created a new mechanism for the character build that involves metamagic purchase at character creation.
Right, which isn't all that different from any other edge.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (audun @ May 18 2005, 01:30 PM)
You can only add new things to the system by adding them as metamagic. Nearly any new or different use of magic in SR3 was introduced as a metamagic. That's what I'd call a legacy system.

Okay, then what's wrong with that?

BTW, nice to see it only took five days for someone to actually describe what a "legacy system" could be. Shame it was lost in all this other crap.
mfb
QUOTE (blakkie)
As i pointed out in that thread, and incidentally also early in this thread, the LOL was NOT a response to a "point", valid or not.

you're correct, it wasn't in response to a point. it was a response to a request for better examples, since the examples you'd laid out had been proven beyond any shadow of a doubt to be non-exemplary of the point you were trying to make. the fact that you took it as posturing pretty much invalidates any claim you might try to make on lucidity or the ability to prosecute a coherent debate.
Kesh
... I suppose I may as well just stop reading FAQ discussions here. within a dozen posts, they always seem to devolve into off-topic ranting and trolling. frown.gif
Critias
QUOTE (Kesh)
... I suppose I may as well just stop reading FAQ discussions here. within a dozen posts, they always seem to devolve into off-topic ranting and trolling. frown.gif

Blakkie has a gift.
Grinder
QUOTE (blakkie)

At times alot. Then i'll be too busy to spit for 2 month straight. That's the nature of my job.

Ah, i see.
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb @ May 20 2005, 04:17 PM)
QUOTE (blakkie)
As i pointed out in that thread, and incidentally also early in this thread, the LOL was NOT a response to a "point", valid or not.

you're correct, it wasn't in response to a point. it was a response to a request for better examples, since the examples you'd laid out had been proven beyond any shadow of a doubt to be non-exemplary of the point you were trying to make.

...in Ellerys opinion. Which is what i was laughing about. The problem really was i didn't mention the specific sub-topic Ellery wanted, so it would be like me going to a Baskin Robins and having the staff read out each flavour to me and me laugh at they saying that flavour sucks until they got to the flavour i wanted. A post or two later Ellery got to the [edit]subtopic Ellery desired[/edit] and we were off....except for Critias who veered off into stalkerland and continued "point" misidentification. Perhaps you can go back and reread? I've already explained there.

the fact that you took it as posturing pretty much invalidates any claim you might try to make on lucidity or the ability to prosecute a coherent debate.

If Ellery's didn't mean it to have a riddiculing tone, then i suggest it was poorly chosen words.
Critias
Ohhhh, my bad. We're only supposed to talk about what blakkie wants to talk about (we're not allowed to just, y'know, reply to his posts, or respond to the things he says). I didn't notice that in the forum regs. My mistake.
blakkie
QUOTE (Grinder)
QUOTE (blakkie @ May 20 2005, 10:14 PM)

Ah, i see.

The summer drilling season is starting to ramp up, so it'll be any day now that i'll be swamped. I'm thinking i'll probably be dropping off here soon for a month or two. Or maybe until late August. Or maybe till everyone has decided whether they are going to stick with SR3, move on to SR4, or just stop playing SR. Or maybe until people stop ranting about how Fanpro just isn't listening to them and is ruining SR.....which i guess would be forever? wink.gif

I've come to see the wisdom in Patrick's choice. I should have seen it when Crimsondude mentioned that his every momment was spent loathing how Fanpro was destroying SR. Why all the hate? That might be a clue.
blakkie
QUOTE (Ellery @ May 20 2005, 03:53 PM)
QUOTE (Blakkie)
So exactly how do you handle an acid coated sword in SR3 rules?

It changes the power. Maybe you can find where this is done? Changing the power is a good quick compromise. It makes armor less effective against the attack, which is exactly what you want.

If you want to do more work for cases where even a change in power isn't good enough, you could have two damage codes on one item.

Exactly, you lump the blade and the acid together as one ignoring that the acid on the side of the blade might hit but the edge of the sword not. *shrug* Close enough approximation for me, but by your standards?

Or you create two damage codes???? WTF is there a two damage code weapon in SR? You attack twice, or you attack once and resolve each weapon? Or you pick which you are attacking with, acid or blade?

QUOTE (blakkie)
Right, which isn't all that different from any other edge.

Ummm. This is where i give up on you. Enjoy being 'right' that the SR3 magic system rocks and shouldn't be changed and SR4 can't be a worthwhile improvement on it.

Buh-bye.
Critias
QUOTE (blakkie)
WTF is there a two damage code weapon in SR?

Shock gloves, right off the top of my head.
blakkie
QUOTE (Critias)
QUOTE (blakkie @ May 21 2005, 08:31 AM)
WTF is there a two damage code weapon in SR?

Shock gloves, right off the top of my head.

Ah yes. Right, that annomoly. There we have it. Both systems handle it....sort of. Shock gloves you have to hit as hard as a punch. Acid coated stuff i guess you have to hit as hard in SR3 to do the damage. So yes, the SR3 rules ignore contact-only, which is close enough approximation for me.
mfb
i've reread several times. don't see any reason to change my initial conclusion. and since you're pretty much completely batshit insane, i don't see any reason to keep trying to convince you.
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb @ May 21 2005, 08:47 AM)
i've reread several times. don't see any reason to change my initial conclusion. and since you're pretty much completely batshit insane, i don't see any reason to keep trying to convince you.

Yes, please don't try to convince me.

Just like you don't need to try convince me that my guess at what combat could be like where dodging is separate from armor would be an enormous insane mistake because dodging has to separate from armor. wobble.gif

EDIT: Oh, and don't bother either trying to convince me that SR3 doesn't combine dodge and body successes. Yeah, the the fixed begining damage of a weapon makes checking dodge first a requirement. But get rid of it and ....

Buh-bye.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Critias @ May 20 2005, 09:12 PM)
QUOTE (Kesh @ May 20 2005, 06:53 PM)

Blakkie has a gift.

He does seem to manage to draw the bile-filled ire of several people for, near as I can tell, no good reason. I read Ellery and blakkie's argument in that other thread, and I was completely mystified why so many people took time out of their day to tar and feather him for it, but then again I saw why blakkie was laughing so maybe I'm "batshit insane" too.

Rory Blackwind--or whatever his name was, that guy from the levitate thread who couldn't make an actual argument to save his life but insisted on yelling at everyone who pointed that out--didn't draw such lightning on his head, and he was several times worse than blakkie is. Not only that, but this irrational hatred is starting to contaminate the whole subforum, as people keep coming back to that damn "LOL" comment, even in threads where no such comment is being made. It's weird, like he's being unconsciously targetted or something. I'd bet that if all of his other posts were changed to a different nick he wouldn't be drawing half the insults he is now.
blakkie
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
QUOTE (Critias @ May 20 2005, 09:12 PM)
QUOTE (Kesh @ May 20 2005, 06:53 PM)

Blakkie has a gift.

He does seem to manage to draw the bile-filled ire of several people for, near as I can tell, no good reason. I read Ellery and blakkie's argument in that other thread, and I was completely mystified why so many people took time out of their day to tar and feather him for it, but then again I saw why blakkie was laughing so maybe I'm "batshit insane" too.

Rory Blackwind--or whatever his name was, that guy from the levitate thread who couldn't make an actual argument to save his life but insisted on yelling at everyone who pointed that out--didn't draw such lightning on his head, and he was several times worse than blakkie is. Not only that, but this irrational hatred is starting to contaminate the whole subforum, as people keep coming back to that damn "LOL" comment, even in threads where no such comment is being made. It's weird, like he's being unconsciously targetted or something. I'd bet that if all of his other posts were changed to a different nick he wouldn't be drawing half the insults he is now.

It's my posting style. It's reflective, and people don't like themselves. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012