Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Infected
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Mortax
Hence one of the reasons for this post. smile.gif

I think we just used the rules for becomeing a ghoul. I think the will target was increased. Afterall, they are all ofshoots of the same virus. neh?

Damn Horrers
fistandantilus4.0
well, they carry the infection HMHVV 'power', so you could use those rules. But I seem to recall readoing somewehre that they have t odrain you to 0 essence, which makes more sense to me anyways. At least in the classical vampire sense.
Mortax
sorry, should have clarified something. smile.gif

I ment we used the rules for whether or not you remain SAIN. smile.gif

As far as infection, if they drain you, or you do something that would normaly infect you with a blood born pathogen, like HIV.

fistandantilus4.0
Ahhh....
Well, I never did find any clear cut rules. The ghoul rules sounds like a good idea. I tried to make it a little harder and made it an essence test of sorts. Roll your (original) essence vs T#6. That way anyone cybered would likely crack. Mostly got the idea from The Terminus Experiment
Mortax
Hell, we made it so all cyberware was pushed out. smile.gif
Which wasn't fun for my troll, he was a sammy with over a million. And I'd just gotten that cerebral booster 2......grrr...
Funny thing was most of my stats stayed the same. I rolled well. smile.gif
fistandantilus4.0
I believe it says (somewhere) that the cyber stays. Meaning that tey have to feed a lot more. Example The Terminus Experiment (again): most of the baddies were heavily cybered vamps that were pretty much mindless feeding machines. They could take the cyber, because they had it before they became infected.
Mortax
If it regens, the cyber is rejected. I'll look, back in a tick.

Edit:
K, shifters can't willingly take cyber, because they loos it as soon as they shift, ie when they regen, and since drakes can shift but don't regen. It just doesn't exist in dragon form. I also am pretty sure I read you lose cyber when you are infected, but don't remember where.
nick012000
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
I believe it says (somewhere) that the cyber stays. Meaning that tey have to feed a lot more. Example The Terminus Experiment (again): most of the baddies were heavily cybered vamps that were pretty much mindless feeding machines. They could take the cyber, because they had it before they became infected.

Those were a specially designed kind of vamps. Normal vamps reject any cyber they get.
fistandantilus4.0
well, I double checked critters, and it doesn't state anything under the regen power or vamps about not taking cyberware. It does specifically state under shifters taht they can't have cyber becasue their body rejects it. Doesn't say this anywhere under the vampire description. On the other hand with the regeneration from the immortal flower, it does state that you take damageif you have cyber because the body tries to heal the damage, but it says you take the damage AFTER the effects of the 'mixture' wears off. Vampires regen doesnt wear off. To me, this means they can get it before they change, but not after. Does anyone have a clarification or anywhere it specifically states one way or the other? If I'm wrong that's fine. I'd just like a clear example of where it says so.

Still a little unclear about the drake/cyber shape change BTW. If a guy has a cyber arm, then shifts, does he get a new arm, and the cyber fall off?
Mortax
Okay, putting the whole drake question aside, think about this.

Vampires and shifters both have the critter power "regen". This implies that they both regen the same, since it is not stated otherwise.

Shifters lose cyberware the second they regen. It's not because they shapeshift, it's because their body is healing all damage. You lose essence due to ware and bio index, you can also lose essence due to injurry. I would submit that for the purposes of regen, all ware counts as damage to be healed.

As far as the immortal flower thing, I don't think that's as realivent as the shifter. My reason is that in no part of the vampire text does it contradict what regen normally does, IE it has all the same characteristics. The flower on the other hand more or less says critter power with these exceptions.

As to the drake, the way I thought it worked was essentually when you shift, it no longer exists untill you shift back.

Edit:
Just thought of something, check Paranormal Animals of North America, Target: Smuggler Havens for info on loup garou, I think they only get regen at the peak of their cycle, which might give us an answere, I will go in search of my coppies.

also, at : http://archive.dumpshock.com/ArchiveShowAr...cle.php3?ID=469
there are good house rules for pcs as vamps, and it says no cyber. House rules I know, but they make a good case.

Edit #2 okay, so I'm dumb, loup garou don't have regen. Should have remembered that, played a bandersnatch DJ with some ware. grinbig.gif
BitBasher
you can also lose essence due to injurry.
No, you can't. That's a misconception that just won't die. There is no game function for that.

There was a canon adventure long ago which had an NPC named "Nemesis" that was a vamp that was cybered out the wazoo. It stated the cyber still worked because it was implanted before he was infected. According to SR3 since this has not been contradicted by any rulebook since then, that ruling still stands for vampires.

EDIT: and OMG, screw Nemesis.
Mortax
QUOTE (BitBasher @ Jun 4 2005, 04:03 PM)
you can also lose essence due to injurry.
No, you can't. That's a misconception that just won't die. There is no game function for that.

Um, I' pretty sure there was in 2nd, and I still use it. It make sense to me. You're true pattern is altered.

Though i do agree with your last statement, screw nemisis. smile.gif

Though there is no mechanic, I again point to my reasoning line. On the note of the exception...not everything in cannon makes sense. However, there is a section in one of the books, hell I think it's one of the core books, that talks about how "not all awakend creatures will always have the expected powers." Maybe this nemisis had some weird form of regen.

I still say the artificial nature of the implant would be seen as something the body needs to eliminat (don't you have to take anti-rejection drugs for cybersurgery? maybe not) and would expell it just as it would a bullet.

Edit: Anouther thought, what if you have 3.0 essence worth of cyberware, and you're essence drops below this? Would your body attempt to push the ware out? Would you die? Again, things like this make me think vamps and cyberware don't mix. Plus, game balance. A street sam with 1000000 nuyen.gif worth of ware, mist form, and regen? Um, not in my game, that is too fraggin munchkiny. Also, if it was possible, don't you think a decent # of corps would pull that, and there would have been talk of it in books? But I can never remember reading that. Hell, it sounds right up the Ordo's ally. Not a corp, but if they can preform cybermancy.....
Just strikes me as something we would have heard more about.
BitBasher
No, if you have 3 essence worth of cyber and get infected, then your new max essence is 6. Max essence for an infected vamp is double their normal essence.
Mortax
I know, my question was, what if you are unable to feed, and you lose too much essence?
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Mortax @ Jun 4 2005, 05:01 PM)
what if you are unable to feed, and you lose too much essence?

Death. Amazingly similar to what happens when humans reach 0 essense without soul-abuse rituals to delay the event.
Mortax
I know, but I'm still trying to make the point.
Oh, and one there death, do they get a regen test? Does it work like getting hit with a focus?

(Yes, I'm being mildly sarcastic. smile.gif )
I don't think that vampires can have cyber. It makes no sense. See shifter argument. Same rules for regen, nothing saying they are different.
Mortax
Also on drakes:
Page 185 of Dragons of the 6th world, 1st full paragraph. Darkes can have cyberware. It disapers upon shifting. double essence loss.
Herald of Verjigorm
No, actually, shifter PCs get special rules explaining how they can't get cyberware. The text does not state that those rules are corrections for the general regeneration power, and the text on the normal regeneration power says nothing about implants. Taken literally, a NPC shifter can have a cybertorso with tracking mounts, but a PC shifter can't .

Also notice that the regeneration power only speaks of death by filling the condition monitor, which is a different sort than that caused by an attribute reaching 0.
Chibu
I've played a character who got tunred into a Warewolf on his second run. He didn't have any cyberware (luckily, because that would probibly hurt) and wasn't magical. We were looking for some people with experimental-gone-bad bioware that were terrorizing the city. so, some old lady says that "There's a werewolf under the dumpster in tyhe ally~!" So, I go look under the dumpster and shoot the thing (because it kind of looks like what we're chasing) and, so, it attacks me, leaves me with 1 box of overflow, and the i regenerated it. So, i was happy that my character didn't die.
fistandantilus4.0
With Herald here. The shifter example is the exception, not the rule . That's why it's included. If it was just like normal regen, and regen kicked out the cyber , no exceptions, they wouldn't bother saying it. Read the regen power in critters, asolutely nothing is stated about cyber. it would be incredibly difficult to cyber anyone with an active regeneration power, if not impossible. Think Wolverine (although I know that's a bit of a limb there)...
Also, regen is a magically ability, where cyber removes the essence. A lot of magic simply won't effect cyber (like spells that alter attributes.. They have to be made specifically for cyber).

I brought up the immortal flower because it's an exception to that normal rule, like most of the magical compounds are. Adding magical ability where there is none. Like the one that gives you critter powers, or astral perception. The reason corps don't use them are #1) very difficult to get a hold of. Most of the compounds are sacred to those that make them , such as the Anasazi. True that ittle is sacred to a corp but it's very difficult to pry information from tribal shamans. #2) Thay have serious drawbacks, that can't be resisted. like the example of the 'flower'. 2d6 damage, that can't be resisted. Anyone would think twice if they could end up at deaths door if they take it with cyber in their system.

As for Nemesis (whom I admittedly know nothing about), I doubt that he's the exception. The two canon examples we've seen so far both show vamps with cyber. In both cases, lots of it. The vamps from TE were 'special' because they'd had tons of it impalnted, which wasn't normally done. but they were an experiment. The experiment there was to remove the weakneses of the vampire (like sunlight vulnerability, which they still had).

BTW , it's been a while, but I believe you're right about losing essence from deadly wounds in SR2
Chibu
So, on the note of the Regeneration power. Where are you getting the text from? (A page number would be keen) uhm, most likely, you're getting it from the Critters section. and, no, it doesn't mention that the CRITTER's cyberware goes away because it's a critter, and NOT a PC.
Mortax
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm @ Jun 4 2005, 06:48 PM)
No, actually, shifter PCs get special rules explaining how they can't get cyberware.  The text does not state that those rules are corrections for the general regeneration power, and the text on the normal regeneration power says nothing about implants.  Taken literally, a NPC shifter can have a cybertorso with tracking mounts, but a PC shifter can't .

Um, in the 2nd edition core book, it said shifters cant get cyber, they lose it when they regen. NPC or PC, doesn't matter.

I refuse to believe that because it is an NPC it can do something that drastically different from a pc. That's just assinine.

Did they change it in 3rd? If so I'm going to have to ignore it because it makes no sense. Kind of like the 2nd edition thing with spirits have a threat rating = to force. so a pc force 4 elemental goes up against a force 4 that rolls 8 dice, so it's a force 8. That's silly, I ignor it and run them like PC spirits.
Mortax
The two canon examples we've seen so far both show vamps with cyber. In both cases, lots of it. The vamps from TE were 'special' because they'd had tons of it impalnted, which wasn't normally done. but they were an experiment. The experiment there was to remove the weakneses of the vampire (like sunlight vulnerability, which they still had).

BTW , it's been a while, but I believe you're right about losing essence from deadly wounds in SR2

Um, I can point to a lot more cannon examples of Vamps WITHOUT ware. In novles and sourcebooks. Also, most infected, as stated earlier, are magically active. This is either because vamps look for mages to nosh on or they awaken because of the virus. Most magically active don't go for ware. I'd say there is low likelyhood.

Also, you are quoting a novel there, not a sourcebook. I consider most novels to be mostly in line with cannon, but it's not supported by a sourcebook.

We play 2.5. smile.gif Don't like all of third or 2nd, so we still use rules for both. We are playing in 2055 right now, so it works for the moment.

Also, again:
A street sam with 1000000  worth of ware, mist form, and regen? Um, not in my game, that is too fraggin munchkiny. Also, if it was possible, don't you think a decent # of corps would pull that, and there would have been talk of it in books? But I can never remember reading that. Hell, it sounds right up the Ordo's ally. Not a corp, but if they can preform cybermancy.....

fistandantilus4.0
I agree that NPC's would have the same issues, I think he was just trying to make a point.

The essence thing I had completley forgotten about, but I still find interesting. Hell, I still use grounding! Bt yeah, the essence thing did change over . I'm STILL finding things I thoght I knew that changed. And of course, when I finally get it all down, SR4 will come out. sarcastic.gif
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Mortax)

Um, I can point to a lot more cannon examples of Vamps WITHOUT ware. In novles and sourcebooks. Also, most infected, as stated earlier, are magically active. This is either because vamps look for mages to nosh on or they awaken because of the virus. Most magically active don't go for ware. I'd say there is low likelyhood.

I can point out a lot of examples of normal people without ware too. Just because they don't, doesn't mean they can't.

And yeah, they do tend to go magically active more when they become infected. But the point isn't that they can get cyber, beuase they can't ( at least as I understand it, without some Weapon X'ess style story plot). It's that they can have cyber if they had it before they were infected. kinda like the weirdo drake bit, which I still think is weird. Don't really see how they have a cyber arm one minute, then have it subsumed by a drake am, then it comes back.
Mortax
Yeah, I'll prolly ignore most of the SR4 rule changes. smile.gif

And I still use grounding too, makes mages a little more warry about sustaining spells and having too many quickenings and foci. vegm.gif
fistandantilus4.0
definitely. I hate it when mages go around with a ton of quickened spells. One or two is fine by me. The ystart throwing up more than that, and they deserve it IMO. I'm still looking forwad to SR4, but we'll see how it goes. May be a subcriber to SR 3.5. We'll see.

Still looking for a flat out rule on vamps w/ cyber. There's no where that I can find that has a clear cut yes/no, although there are plenty of examples from whihc to draw conclusions.

And thanks for the discussion Mortax. smile.gif
Mortax
No problem, It's what the boards are for. smile.gif

I don't think it really states anywhere, so it prolly comes down to the GM.
My points were just that, points. I can make a lot of arguments, and I can back them up. But in the end, it's the gm's call.

My opinion? No. Because of the shifters, and because we've never heard of corps using streetsam vampires. Also, it just doesn't make sense to me. I guess we could e-mail fanpro, I may do that. smile.gif Now I'm curious.
Chibu
So, Essence Drain, right?
I'm going to play a vampire, and, he's going to have as much ware as i want to give him. Because he can always get more essence.

Vampire, Tac computer, move-by-wire 4, all the senses of course. oh, and VCR 3 ya know, along eith other things. He's at 15 essence? ok, so, he'll have to eat a fwe people in between, but that's alright,

he's still at 12 essence, regens and moves at the speed of sound. now, let's make him a full mage.

Alright, anyone up for no cyber for vamps on the groungs of what FASA used all the time?

how about Game Balance. how about, because i don't believe that FASA was completely inept. and if you think so, well, you can always play whitewo... i mean, 4th edition.
fistandantilus4.0
No go Chibu. Vamps can have up to twice their normal essence. If their normal essence is .1, they don't have far to go, and they'd have to feed pretty regualrly to make sure they don't dip below that .1 and cack off.

Critters pg 10 - essence drain
The being may increase it's essence to a maximum of twice the maximum for it's type in this way (for humanoid beigns, maximum essence of 12)

Now I suppose you could construe that to say it means that the absolute maximum essence it could ever hav e would be what it means, but I understand it as being the maximum the creature can have. And if it currently has 5.9 point of essence in cyber, the max it can have is .1, doubled to .2 It's not very specifi because, well, I suppose they didn't really think about it.
Chibu
^-^ no frag.

but, if they don't have any to begin with, then they have 12 and they can get it back by eating people. ^-^
Mortax
um, wouldn't they always be in blood lust, since their max would be .2, and if they go to 1 they go nuts? Suck.

Also, they would have to feed every 72 to keep it at .1 if you go 6 days without food, you die.
Mortax
It's not very specifi because, well, I suppose they didn't really think about it.

Again, something that implies they didn't think about it happening, or that it can't.
fistandantilus4.0
yeah , pretty much , which is why the vamps in TE ( yet again,sorry) pretty much just attacked en masse
Mortax
yeah , pretty much , which is why the vamps in TE ( yet again,sorry) pretty much just attacked en masse

I have no problem with people quoting novels, hell, I've done it.
But, I take them with a grain or 2 of salt. smile.gif
Sometimes, they get a little silly. I think TE might have been one of those times, but I haven't gotten to read it yet.
fistandantilus4.0
TE does get a bit ... well.. silly at points. I keep bringing it up for lack of much else in the way of material that can be referenced really. But the novels are still coonsidered 'canon' (Dragon Heart Trilogy ) for example. Even though a lot of people would refer otherwise, because not all of them are really all that up to snuff. The one with the Iron Hell pirates for example (forget the name).
Mortax
Dragon Heart Trilogy is one I've quoted, actually. smile.gif

But yeah, I see your point about no cannon sourcebook. I'm just trying to draw a logical proposition set out of what is in the sourcebooks, but like I said, it the end its the GMs call.
Reign Maker
Ok First comparing comparing metahumans infected with a virus to a completely different species is absurd.

By cannon rules the closest thing to compare vampires to would be ghouls, metahumans infected with a variant of the virus. Since ghouls CAN have cyber vampires CAN have cyber. The problem would come with implantation, you would need to have a magical doctor to constantly cast a reverse treat spell to keep the incisions open. And there are rules for paying such doctor. I would rule that Vampires PC's would have the same sensitive systems flaw as pc ghouls. I would give no such flaw to npc vampires, just like npc ghouls do not have that flaw. I would rate the points cost at 40+ metatype for creation.

A side note, its states for ghouls that the body metabolizes bioware during the change. But nothing about post change bioware. I would take this to mean that body automatically cannibalizes bioware, EXCEPT future Cultured bioware, since it would be made with ghoul tissue and the body would not eat itself.

And similarly shape shifter could accept any bioware since its doesn't state anything about its ill effects.

A discussion maybe for a different thread... Slay/Slaughter mechanics....its states it goes by biological species...yet orcs/elfs/dwarfs/trolls/humans and those infected with the HMVV virus are all the same species according to cannon (and they can interbreed which corresponds to MOST scientific definitions of a species) why is there a slay orc and a slay human... Broken mechanic in my mind I house rule slay homo sapien kills them all. Your opinions?
Herald of Verjigorm
It says species or race. The reason for using races of humanity and species of inhuman is that most Shadowrunners will be faced with a lot more cases where Slay Humankinds will be as good as a deadly powerbolt with easier drain than cases where Slay Poodle will be worth having spent karma on. Broken spell logic, functional game rule.
Angelone
The TE vampires attacked en mass because they had those control chips implanted in them. The experiment in TE wasn't vampires with cyber, because in my mind, they could already do that, but was to get them walking in the daylight and not needing to drain essence(or as much) as shown by Warren at the end.

It was the control chips and how the vampires were stored (in airless containment tubes) that allowed them to be used in the first place. In the book Dr. Wake even thinks that was one of the other Doctor's more ingenious ideas. I believe that most corps. don't use cybervamps is the bad PR they would get from that.

Mortax
QUOTE (Reign Maker)
Ok First comparing comparing metahumans infected with a virus to a completely different species is absurd.

Perhapse, except we are talking game mechanics, specifically about regen, and since it states no special exception...

By cannon rules the closest thing to compare vampires to would be ghouls, metahumans infected with a variant of the virus.  Since ghouls CAN have cyber vampires CAN have cyber.

K, you're missing something major, in fact the whole fragging point of the current debate. Vampires HAVE REGEN. Ghouls do not. Shifters, Hmhvv1, and Nosferatu have regen. This seperates them from ghouls in a VERY big way. Game mechanic wise, which is what we are discussing, then puts vampires closests realitives at nosferatu and shifters. We are talking about regen, the all have it. Ghouls don't.

Also, when they become infected with different strains, they are just as much different species as shifters. Check the scientific names. Ghouls and vamps are no longer human, and there is no cure.

I would give no such flaw to npc vampires, just like npc ghouls do not have that flaw. 

As I stated earlyer, giving differet rules for PC and NPC is asinine. I've played SR 1st 2nd 3rd and some odd mix. Anytime the rules have made NPC vamps, shifters, spirits, whatever better than PC equivilent, we've ignored it. See my earlier coment about spirit threat rating in 2nd edition.

And, a point so far no one will answere me on:
A street sam with 1000000  worth of ware, mist form, and regen? Um, not in my game, that is too fraggin munchkiny. Also, if it was possible, don't you think a decent # of corps would pull that, and there would have been talk of it in books? But I can never remember reading that. Hell, it sounds right up the Ordo's ally. Not a corp, but if they can preform cybermancy.....

The only cannon example you can give me is the novels, one in fact. I would submit that without game mechanic backup from a sourcebook, this point is irrelevent. Affter all, this whole discussion is about game mechanics. It could happen perhapse with a few special cases, but it cannot be the rule. If this was possible, Ordo Maximus, Aztechnology, and several others would cyber out street sams and have a vamp bite them. Much cheeper and better than a cyberzombie.

And on the note of them getting it implanted afterwords, no. Can't. The wounds from the surgery close before you could possibly connect something that complex.

On the issue of slay spells:
Different species can breed together. This means nothing. Hell, I don't think Slay troll would neccissarily kill a cyclopse. I'd have to look into it for that case, but trolls are too different than humans to use one slay spell to kill both.
Reign Maker
QUOTE (Mortax)
Perhapse, except we are talking game mechanics, specifically about regen, and since it states no special exception...

Ok well corps have successfully implanted cyberware in shapeshifter to prevent the "change" so implant it in vampires and they cant "change" ie. mistform ... and they can still have cyber. Your worried about a cyber vampire being munchkany but there are dragons with cyber...... why are you not complaining about them.

I also think corps wont do it cause the vampire will mostly likely get himself extracted or takeover the company.

And at least there are exmples in the novels (if you don't want to include the ghoul mechanincs)... all you have is "its too munchkiny"!
Mortax
QUOTE (Reign Maker)
QUOTE (Mortax @ Jun 5 2005, 03:16 PM)

Ok well corps have successfully implanted cyberware in shapeshifter to prevent the "change" so implant it in vampires and they cant "change" ie. mistform ... and they can still have cyber.

Um, shifters only regen in animal form. They can get ware in human form. As soon as they shift, they gain regen, and the cyberware is pushed out. Drakes can shift and their ware doesn't go away. They don't have regen. We've gone over this already earlier in the thread.

Your worried about a cyber vampire being munchkany but there are dragons with cyber...... why are you not complaining about them.

The dragon, one by the way, is insane. It also doesn't have regen. Which is what the discussion is about. Also, I'm not letting anyone play a dragon. Are you? This is a thread about HMHVV infected player Char. I don't know anyone who lets there players play a dragon.

I also think corps wont do it cause the vampire will mostly likely get himself extracted or takeover the company.

If they can have cyber, that is what cortex bombs are for. No different than making a cyberzombie. Worthwhile risk. Not to mention the usual ways of keeping your emploies in line.

And at least there are exmples in the novels (if you don't want to include the ghoul mechanincs)... all you have is "its too munchkiny"!

Please show me where I said the novles are too munchkeny. I did not. I said there is no game mechanic to back it up. If we are using everything out of the novels, mages can't project through a real wood floor. My point there is this whole discussion is about GAME MECHANICS. The novels contain none of these.
Reign Maker
QUOTE (Mortax)
I would give no such flaw to npc vampires, just like npc ghouls do not have that flaw. 

As I stated earlyer, giving differet rules for PC and NPC is asinine. I've played SR 1st 2nd 3rd and some odd mix. Anytime the rules have made NPC vamps, shifters, spirits, whatever better than PC equivilent, we've ignored it. See my earlier coment about spirit threat rating in 2nd edition.

Shadowrun Companion 3rd edition page 36
Shapeshifter charecters regenerate in roughly the same manner as shapeshifter critters
SOO... Cannon says your wrong and there is a difference between pc and npc....

Um, shifters only regen in animal form. They can get ware in human form. As soon as they shift, they gain regen, and the cyberware is pushed out. Drakes can shift and their ware doesn't go away. They don't have regen. We've gone over this already earlier in the thread.

WRONG AGAIN Shadowrun Companion 3rd edition page 37
Shapeshifter can regenerate in both human and animal form.

And hey look you cant regen out something of silver... if your shapeshifters cyberware is custom made all silver you cant reject it.... in fact silver scalpels would make the surgery less costly too for a shapeshifter.
And I guess you could use laser's to opperate on vampires to the same effect.
Trax
Aren't shifters allergic to silver? Putting silver cyberware would kill them.
Ol' Scratch
You can regenerate wounds caused by silver, it just lowers your chances to one-third (1-2 on a d6) instead of one-sixth (1 on a d6) to successfully regenerate if damage hits Deadly in less than one Combat Turn. Anything less than Deadly damage is instantly regenerated regardless of its source for some strange reason.
Chibu
ok, fine, now, read the part about playing SECOND EDITION. ok, read that part? now, look on the same page (37) in 2ed Companion. "Shifters lose all special regenerative power while in human form." I believe is what it says. Do you just not like reading? or ar eyou just arguing for the sake of it?

EDIT: Oh, and, on the note of reading. Continue down the page (37) of 3ed Companion on the note of Cyberware Rejection. Now, when you finish reading and pull your foot out of your mouth, it specifically says that because of regeneration shifters cannot have cyberware, not only is it next to impiossible to do the surgery itself, even if successful, the cyberware is purged from their system.

And, this is the reason for the discussion as to wether or not Vampires can have cyber or not, since because of regeneration shifters cannot have cyberware. Is simply doesn't say anything baout vampires because they aren't actually supposed to be player characters, however, sometimes things happen (as in my firt post to this thread about being infected with HMHVV 2) and PCs become infected. If they gain regeneration, their body would regenerate, yes? or does it just 'not count'.
Snow_Fox
We had one character ino ur group get HMMVV and the player decided to let her become an NPC. We could porbably play it but no one wants to. Usually ghouls piss us off with the risk of infectino so we tend to shoot first when we see them. When in doubt, fire and acid every time.
Reign Maker
QUOTE (Chibu)
ok, fine, now, read the part about playing SECOND EDITION. ok, read that part? now, look on the same page (37) in 2ed Companion. "Shifters lose all special regenerative power while in human form." I believe is what it says. Do you just not like reading? or ar eyou just arguing for the sake of it?

EDIT: Oh, and, on the note of reading. Continue down the page (37) of 3ed Companion on the note of Cyberware Rejection. Now, when you finish reading and pull your foot out of your mouth, it specifically says that because of regeneration shifters cannot have cyberware, not only is it next to impiossible to do the surgery itself, even if successful, the cyberware is purged from their system.

And, this is the reason for the discussion as to wether or not Vampires can have cyber or not, since because of regeneration shifters cannot have cyberware. Is simply doesn't say anything baout vampires because they aren't actually supposed to be player characters, however, sometimes things happen (as in my firt post to this thread about being infected with HMHVV 2) and PCs become infected. If they gain regeneration, their body would regenerate, yes? or does it just 'not count'.

FIRST I play 3rd edition... So that is what I am arguing. AND in 3rd EDITION they do regenerate in HUMAN form.... ALSO in 3rd EDITION they do not regenerate from wounds caused by silver SOOOO they would have to naturally heal wounds caused by silver... maybe silver cyberware wouldn't work but cutting them open with silver medical equipment would.....

Second in 3rd Edition it states some corps have been able to successfully install cyber in shapeshifters to prevent the change... SOOOO I assume they would be able to find a way to do it and still allow the change, if they weren't doing it as a punishment.

Vampires are a totaly different case. Do to the fact they are a different species, that is infected by a virus. Ghouls a variation of this virus may have cyberware (granted ghouls do not regenerate) but only PC ghouls have sensitive system flaw.... I believe that vampires PC's would have the same flaw. WITH the added problems regeneration during surgery. THIS would be counteracted if the surgeon had a laser.. BECAUSE according to spell effects lasers act as sunlight for those with an allergy to it, so they would have to normally heal such wounds.

SUPPORTING ME is actual rules stated in Shadowrun Companion 3rd ED, and references to vampires in the novels having cyberware.

SUPPORTING you is....well...nothing but stuberness
Ol' Scratch
BECAUSE according to spell effects lasers act as sunlight for those with an allergy to it, so they would have to normally heal such wounds.

Bzzt. Wrong again. Much like silver and werewolves, vampires regenerate all forms of attack just fine. The only difference is some attacks (such as silver for shapeshifters, and fire and explosions for others) have an increased chance of failure IF it hits Deadly damage.

Sunlight produces no such increase, however, and their allergy is just a mild nuissance as they instantly regenerate the Light Wound caused by its exposure (for those with a severe allergy, which standard vampires don't have). A Laser/Nova spell would only cause a +2 bonus to its Power if used against vampires, and might make them sneeze a couple of times or retreat if you're lucky.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012