Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ranged Combat
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Community Projects
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Raygun
QUOTE (Critias @ Jun 9 2005, 07:41 PM)
Which is where the other half of the damage code comes in.  Light base damage isn't fantastically scary, because shot placement then becomes terribly important.  And, well, if the shot was placed well, I could see aforementioned needle pretty easily ruining my day.

I don't think we need to break it down that far, Critias. I don't much like the idea of someone being able to easily stage down a 12 gauge slug to the chest sans armor while they're pretty much gauranteed some kind of wound from 5.7x28mm. It doesn't make sense. Maybe if we had more than four damage levels to work with...

QUOTE (DrJest)
I'd disagree, at least partially. To me it means "harder to resist". My point was that since the opinion seemed to be that an assault rifle and a heavy pistol would be similarly effective against an unarmoured opponent but that the rifle would shine against an armoured one, that the difference might be better reflected by armour reduction (for which there is a precedent, albeit only the one I think) than by amendments to the power or damage level.

That's the way I handle it in the current system. All rifle firing cartridges with a muzzle velocity over 2300 fps receive an automatic x0.5 armor modifier. AP effects are then added to that. That way, you're pretty much stuck with Body Resistance unless you're wearing 8 points of hard armor.

Personally, I think it's better to simulate that, like in reality, the potential an object has to damage something and its ability to penetrate body armor have absolutely nothing to do with each other. You can wear all the body armor you want. It won't help much if you get hit by a semi.

QUOTE (TheOneRonin)
Indeed. So how do we better represent that in SR?

I guess that's what we're supposed to be figuring out. A little short of insight I know, but I'm short of time today.
TheOneRonin
Okay, since I've done so much to derail this thread, let's see if I can help put it back on track.

Here are the things that Kage started off with:

1) Shotguns are your new god

Now, not to say that I don't enjoy having ten successes on a 2S attack on everyone in a cone ninety meters long and nine meters wide at the far end, but it's absolutely absurd. What do we do with shotguns?

There are other people on this board that are far more qualified than me when it comes to shotguns, but I do have have some rather broad suggestions.

#1. When using shot/flechette rounds, instead of having the spread hit multiple targets, why not have it just lower the T# to hit a bit? Also, how about no increase in DL for shot rounds vs. unarmored opponents?

#2. When firing slugs, Shotguns should use either Riflecraft or Assault Weapons (see below). Also, perhaps armor should work better against shotgun slugs than against smaller ammunition. Say +50% ballistic rating vs. slug rounds?

2) Light pistols are worthless

I'd argue that hold-outs still have a place due to their sky-high conceals, but Light pistols… are not much more concealable than heavy pistols, and orders of magnitude weaker. One suggestion has been to make them more on the order of 9L rather than 6L. Opinions or other suggestions?

A pretty significant trend in handgun manufacturing after the Assault Weapons ban of 1995 (finally lifted, WOOHOO) was to produce high quantites of compact and subcompact versions of their more popular firearms. Before that, a smaller weapon meant a smaller ammunition capacity. But with the ban limiting handguns to 10 rounds, ammo cap was no longer much of an issue.

Now in SR, there is no such ban, but I can certainly see the utility of compact and subcompact models of current handguns. Perhaps a drop to 8M or 7M would be appropriate for the respective models. So you get a more concealable firearm, but sacrifice some power and ammo capacity. In doing that, you'd probably have to adjust the concealability ratings of hold-outs. Oh yeah, I'd most likely bump hold-outs up to M damage level.

3) Skill groupings

SR2 had "Firearms". SR3 divides rifles and assault rifles, where it's more sensible to divide rifle semi-auto and rifle automatic fire (yes, having two skills apply to AR. No, I'm not suggesting it, but it makes more sense than what we have right now). What's the happy medium?

I suppose here is where the majority of debate on this board has been centered. Let me make a revision of my proposal, blending my groups with Rayguns and coming up with a bit of compromise.

Pistols
Shotguns
Assault Weapons
Riflecraft
Machine Guns
Launch Weapons
Exotic Firearms

"Pistols" would cover your automatics (Ares Predator, Colt Manhunter, Fichetti Security 500, etc.), your revolvers (Ruger Super Warhawk, Cavalier Deputy, etc.), as well as any SMG used in SA mode and without a shoulder stock (ie. fired like you would fire a pistol).

"Shotgun" would cover all shotguns from your small breaching shotguns all the way to your large combat shotguns. Use this skill only when using shot ammunition. For shotguns loaded with slug ammunition, use the Riflecraft or Assault Weapons skill.

"Assault Weapons" covers SMGs fired with the shoulder stock used, fired on full auto/burst fire, or anything in between. It also covers the use of semi-auto rifle fire out to 300M, and all burst/automatic rifle fire.

"Riflecraft" covers all semi-auto rifle fire beyond 300 meters, all lever-action/bolt-action rifle fire, and all rifle fire using scopes. So yes, if your Smartlinked Ares Alpha has a scope, you will find yourself possibly using two separate skills with it. For your close range engagements, you use the Assault weapons skills. For the long range ones using the scope, you use Riflecraft.

"Machineguns" would cover everything from man portable LMGs (M249 SAW, Ingram Valiant) to heavy, vehicle mounted (manually fired) miniguns (Ares Vanquisher). Keep in mind that some of these weapons can be mounted as part of a vehicle's internal weapon systems, like putting an MMG on a YellowJacket helicopter. If the weapon is fired through vehicle controls, use the Gunnery skill. If the weapon is fired by some guy in a turret or by a door gunner, then use the Machineguns skill.

"Launch Weapons" would cover everything from underbarrel grenade launchers to shoulder-fired ATGMs. Again, if such a weapon system is fired by the vehicle's control systems, then use Gunnery instead of Launch Weapons.

"Exotic Firearms" includes your strange weapons like gun canes, gyrojet weapons, and Laser weapons. Perhaps we can require anyone wanting to bump this skill beyond rating 3 to pick a specialization?

So, what does everyone out there think?
DrJest
As a long-time player of SLA Industries, I quite like their skill divisions.

Handgun: Obvious, but also includes machine pistols and small SMG's fired on single shot.
Rifle: Includes shotguns and large SMG's fired on single shot.
Autofire: Any of the above fired on burst or autofire. Autofire is capped at the "other" skill level (eg: Greg Gunadept has Handgun 6, Rifle 4 and Autofire 5. He can fire his Scorpion single shot at 6 or auto at 5; he can fire his Ares Alpha at 4 both single shot and autofire).

I don't recall how gunnery-grade weapons were handled, but since Ops almost never got their hands on them it wasn't an issue anyway smile.gif Off the top of my head, I'd tentatively offer categories of:

Direct Fire Gunnery: HMG's, dumbfire rockets, etc
Indirect Fire Gunnery: Mortars, etc.

Guided missiles would have their own innate skill level.
Yoan
QUOTE (DrJest)
As a long-time player of SLA Industries, I quite like their skill divisions.

Handgun: Obvious, but also includes machine pistols and small SMG's fired on single shot.
Rifle: Includes shotguns and large SMG's fired on single shot.
Autofire: Any of the above fired on burst or autofire. Autofire is capped at the "other" skill level (eg: Greg Gunadept has Handgun 6, Rifle 4 and Autofire 5. He can fire his Scorpion single shot at 6 or auto at 5; he can fire his Ares Alpha at 4 both single shot and autofire).

I don't recall how gunnery-grade weapons were handled, but since Ops almost never got their hands on them it wasn't an issue anyway smile.gif Off the top of my head, I'd tentatively offer categories of:

Direct Fire Gunnery: HMG's, dumbfire rockets, etc
Indirect Fire Gunnery: Mortars, etc.

Guided missiles would have their own innate skill level.

I would fully support Automatic Fire (Bursts included?) as a specialization, or a seperate skill entirely. I used to use a system like it in a past game, some years back.
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (TheOneRonin)
Like the discussion Raygun and I were having, quite a few weapons, when used in a certain way, all use the same skill. If I'm doing MOUT, and just about all the targets I engage are closer than 100m, then it doesn't matter if I'm using an M-16, M4, G36, MP5, or AK-47. All it would take is a few minutes of familiarization and a few rounds fired.

Sounds very much like a Tn modifier for unfamiliar weapon. Very much like the one in the Driving/ Rigger rules.

And as for the Needle analogy, Sr3 allready got that, "needle" weapon do Zero damage but pierce all non hardened armour.

On Assault rifles piercing armour better then Pistols.
Modifing the Power of Heavy Pistols down 2-3 points, i think covers that.
Power of Say 6 versus an unarmoured target, is not that much easier to resist then power 8.

However when you Apply armour, thats when the increased power of the assult rifle comes in.

Simple 1 point of armour in the above will make the Pistol twice as easy, 2 points makes 3 times as easy.

I think most of you are all trying to get a "perfect system" (We all know what they say about those...) Where as, what we are wanting is just a better system.
Raygun
QUOTE (TheOneRonin)
There are other people on this board that are far more qualified than me when it comes to shotguns, but I do have have some rather broad suggestions.

#1. When using shot/flechette rounds, instead of having the spread hit multiple targets, why not have it just lower the T# to hit a bit?  Also, how about no increase in DL for shot rounds vs. unarmored opponents?

#2. When firing slugs, Shotguns should use either Riflecraft or Assault Weapons (see below).  Also, perhaps armor should work better against shotgun slugs than against smaller ammunition.  Say +50% ballistic rating vs. slug rounds?

Most of us are aware that the choke/spread rules are extremely silly. Shot ain't gonna spread a meter wide at two meters distance out of any halfway normal shotgun, no matter how short the barrel or open the choke. Ever. Period. A re-working of the choke rules is most definitely in order.

As far as flechette ammunition goes, my own opinion on how it should work can be found here. Shot and flechette are not the same thing, not should rules regarding them be treated in the same manner. Under no circumstances should shot or flechette ammunition have a higher damage code than a slug load (unless you really, really like John Woo movies).

#2. When firing slugs, Shotguns should use either Riflecraft or Assault Weapons (see below).

I think I would word that differently. "When firing slugs, shotguns can default to either the Riflecraft or Assault Weapons skills." I wouldn't want to suggest that you can't use the Shotgun skill when firing slugs.

Also, perhaps armor should work better against shotgun slugs than against smaller ammunition.  Say +50% ballistic rating vs. slug rounds?

Depends on the slug load, but yeah. Common Foster and sabot slugs should be much less likely to penetrate armor than their Power Ratings should suggest.

Other slug loads, like those that launch .50-caliber, 300+ grain solid copper or JHP bullets at .500 Magnum-like velocities (Remington's Ultra Bonded Sabot Slug or Winchester's Supreme Partition Gold Slug loads) should be treated as standard ammunition. And I see no reason why there couldn't be APDS slug loads.

A pretty significant trend in handgun manufacturing after the Assault Weapons ban of 1995 (finally lifted, WOOHOO) was to produce high quantites of compact and subcompact versions of their more popular firearms.  Before that, a smaller weapon meant a smaller ammunition capacity.  But with the ban limiting handguns to 10 rounds, ammo cap was no longer much of an issue.

Now in SR, there is no such ban, but I can certainly see the utility of compact and subcompact models of current handguns.  Perhaps a drop to 8M or 7M would be appropriate for the respective models.  So you get a more concealable firearm, but sacrifice some power and ammo capacity.  In doing that, you'd probably have to adjust the concealability ratings of hold-outs.  Oh yeah, I'd most likely bump hold-outs up to M damage level.

Yeah, pretty much how I handle it. "Light Pistols" are still there, but there's not really much reason for any self-respecting Shadowrunner to use them.

I suppose here is where the majority of debate on this board has been centered.  Let me make a revision of my proposal, blending my groups with Rayguns and coming up with a bit of compromise.

Pistols
Shotguns
Assault Weapons
Riflecraft
Machine Guns
Launch Weapons
Exotic Firearms

"Pistols" would cover your automatics (Ares Predator, Colt Manhunter, Fichetti Security 500, etc.), your revolvers (Ruger Super Warhawk, Cavalier Deputy, etc.), as well as any SMG used in SA mode and without a shoulder stock (ie. fired like you would fire a pistol).

Sounds good to me. What about machine pistols? We still calling that a specialization?

"Shotgun" would cover all shotguns from your small breaching shotguns all the way to your large combat shotguns.  Use this skill only when using shot ammunition.  For shotguns loaded with slug ammunition, use the Riflecraft or Assault Weapons skill.

Again, can default to Riflecraft or Assault Weapons.

"Assault Weapons" covers SMGs fired with the shoulder stock used, fired on full auto/burst fire, or anything in between.  It also covers the use of semi-auto rifle fire out to 300M, and all burst/automatic rifle fire.

Sounds good, if a little complicated for the layman.

"Riflecraft" covers all semi-auto rifle fire beyond 300 meters, all lever-action/bolt-action rifle fire, and all rifle fire using scopes.  So yes, if your Smartlinked Ares Alpha has a scope, you will find yourself possibly using two separate skills with it.  For your close range engagements, you use the Assault weapons skills.  For the long range ones using the scope, you use Riflecraft.

Okay by me, but I'm thinking this might be getting a little too convoluted for use by people who aren't as knowledgeable about this kind of thing as you or I. Maybe Aus is right. *shrug*

"Machineguns" would cover everything from man portable LMGs (M249 SAW, Ingram Valiant) to heavy, vehicle mounted (manually fired) miniguns (Ares Vanquisher).  Keep in mind that some of these weapons can be mounted as part of  a vehicle's internal weapon systems, like putting an MMG on a YellowJacket helicopter.  If the weapon is fired through vehicle controls, use the Gunnery skill.  If the weapon is fired by some guy in a turret or by a door gunner, then use the Machineguns skill.

Yeah. Direct contact with the gun/manual aiming = Machine Guns skill. Sensor-assisted = Gunnery.

"Launch Weapons" would cover everything from underbarrel grenade launchers to shoulder-fired ATGMs.  Again, if such a weapon system is fired by the vehicle's control systems, then use Gunnery instead of Launch Weapons.

This probably shouldn't include things like automatic grenade launchers, though (MK19, XM307, etc...). Those should use the Machine Guns skill. Ack.

"Exotic Firearms" includes your strange weapons like gun canes, gyrojet weapons, and Laser weapons.  Perhaps we can require anyone wanting to bump this skill beyond rating 3 to pick a specialization?

Sounds good to me.

The more I look at this, the more it looks too complicated as a general set of rules. Ah, I don't know.
mfb
granted that shotguns aren't something i have much direct experience with: based on the facts and figures i've combed from the Intarwebs, i'd remove the whole hitting-multiple-targets thing from shotguns altogether, and then add it back in as an advanced optional rule later (if at all). yes, it's possible to hit multiple targets with a modified shotgun. but it's not something that should really come up often enough to warrant a section in the rules, mainly because people will take it to mean that shotguns can hit multiple targets all the time. they expect them to, because that's how shotguns work in movies, video games, and (especially) RPGs.

another thing: knockdown. if you do knockdown, i think it'd be more realistic (and just as simple) to base knockdown off of the damage of a weapon, rather than off the power. based on numbers that other people have done the math on, it doesn't seem to me that a bullet contains enough energy to physically shove someone off-balance to the point that they will fall over. a shotgun might, i guess, but the damage there is high enough that i think it's permissable to ignore power in favor of damage level.
Aku
I sort of agree with Raygun, kinda complicated for general use. Anything that's using more if/then statements in the rules that my vehicle maker, it's probably a bit too complicated.

Now, this idea is coming out of left field, from someone that knows next to nothing about guns, so ignore if it's too stupid, but what about breaking it into just "handgun" and long arm and SS, BF, and FA, based on a guns highest rate? and again a "misc" category for those..strange weapons.

So any sort of hand held gun (including like SMG's that are hand held), would fall under the Burst fire Hand held skill, specialization in the exact weapon, as per SR 3. Where as a "sniper" or sport rifle, would likely but the singleshot long arm skill.
Kagetenshi
It obviously has its holes, but I'm leaning towards combining Rifles and Assault Rifles into Rifles and all strange weapons into an Unconventional Arms skill with a better name, and then leaving well enough alone with the rest. One major concern is the possibility of creating a Rifles uber-skill. Opinions?

~J
mmu1
I don't think that's a very big deal - Rifles (as opposed to ARs) don't see much use, at least from what I've seen, so all you're really doing is giving a runner who can use ARs the ability to snipe once in a blue moon.

As for an "Exotic Weapons" skill... What were you thinking of including in that? Gyrojet, spray weapons, lasers, eye lasers, etc.? I think the best way of dealing with that would be rolling them into exisiting skills, and just adjusting the stats/availability of the weapon to balance out the new ease of use. (Gyrojet, for example, really should be pistols/rifles, but it's just so absurdly powerful...)
Fix-it
I agree on the Unconventional arms skill, provided a specialization is required.

I don't agree with combining rifles and assault rifles, because they are two completely different ball parks.

SMGs and Assault rifles might work, however.

Most of us are aware that the choke/spread rules are extremely silly. Shot ain't gonna spread a meter wide at two meters distance out of any halfway normal shotgun, no matter how short the barrel or open the choke. Ever. Period. A re-working of the choke rules is most definitely in order.

what about just changing the range of choke, like from 6-14, as opposed to the cannon 2-10?
This solves the problem of rediculous spread, unless someone can come up with a better system.

I second this. And Ronin's list, provided he changes the name for exotics.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Fix-it)
I agree on the Unconventional arms skill, provided a specialization is required.

Then you don't agree, I guess. I'm going to need to be convinced a lot to give anything a penalty for having a base skill but not a specialization, and if I do make that change it will apply to every skill.

~J
mmu1
QUOTE (Fix-it)
I don't agree with combining rifles and assault rifles, because they are two completely different ball parks.

SMGs and Assault rifles might work, however.

The Rifle skill and the Assault Rifle skill are not identical, but unless you're equating Rifle with very long range sniping, then being taught to use an assault rifle does include the skills you'll need to fire any other semi-automatic rifle, especially since Assault Rifle is a huge category, including weapons as different as an M4 Carbine and an FN-FAL.

"Assault Rifles" and "Rifles" is a division based on the intended purpose of the weapons, not the skills required to use them.
Modesitt
QUOTE ("mfb")
another thing: knockdown.

I'm going to have to stick up for the knockdown rules. The knockdown rules are absolutely unrealistic, but I think they should stay in Shadowrun. In general, Shadowrun is more cinematic than realistic with a few glaring exceptions. It's an absolute staple of the action movie genre for people to get blown out windows and over bar stools and such. If anything, we should make it easier to get blown backwards instead of just getting knocked down. Anyways, pretty much anyone who wants a realistic game will know that it's unrealistic and will house rule it out on their own.

The Firearms skill served a similar purpose, although I doubt I'll get very many supporters in favor of bringing it back. How many times have you seen a Hollywood hero turn down a gun and say "Sorry, I don't have any assault rifles skill, I'm just going to stick to stick to my pistol"? So I'll just throw out there that I'll support any consolidation that is considered acceptable by the world at large.
GunnerJ
I've been playing Shadowrun for three years and can't remember ever calling for or being called to roll a Knockdown test... Are they really even worth considering for revision?

Also, a big no to making an "Exotic Weapons" skill require specialization. The less anomalies the better. And making all skills work this way seems more like rewrite country than revision.
Ol' Scratch
I was browsing through some of my older notes earlier today and came across these house rules I was toying around for burst-fire weapons and whatnot. Thought I'd post them here to help inspire some ideas or something.

I'm not a big fan of "realism," prefering instead to focus on in-game believability, game play, and sticking with the abstract nature of the rules when possible. That said, I've also never been a fan of how burst-fire weapons were somehow better able to penetrate armor but did little to improve accuracy, and that was the heart of the reason why I cooked up these rules. I playtested them a little and they worked well for the most part, but there was some room for silly situations if you really tried to go out of your way to do it. I'm also a sucker for tactical options, so you'll see that in these rules as well. Oh, and I cut out what I had for shotguns because it was unfinished (since I never quite got around to doing the Suppressive Fire add-on in which I was going to include the majority of the shotgun rules).

I also had some notes about how I was going to revise the skill system that was mostly a throwback to the SR2 way of doing things (with both specializations and concentrations), but I don't think anyone would be very interested in that since it's significantly more abstract than the current system.

Anyway, enough babbling...

STAGING DAMAGE

Damage Codes are staged by +1 Damage Level for every two net successes on the Ranged Attack Test, to a maximum of Deadly damage. Every two net successes beyond that adds a box of deadly Over-Damage to the total. Stun damage is staged the same way, though every two net successes beyond Deadly Stun damage instead adds one box of Physical damage.

Note that these are based on net successes, meaning that staging doesn't occur until after an opponent has made any Dodge or Damage Resistance Tests to reduce the number of successes an attack has made. This is one of the reasons why the Power of an attack is not affected by these staging rules.

BURST-FIRE

BF shots are defined as a Simple Action that fires two- or three-round bursts per shot, and FA shots are defined as Complex Actions that fire four or more rounds per shot. Any character with a skill rating of 4 or higher can fire a BF shot from a FA weapon without having to change firing modes.

When using burst-fire, you have five options:
  1. Increase the base Damage Level of the attack by one level for every three rounds fired (round down).
  2. Add one bonus die to your Ranged Attack Test per round fired, to a maximum number equal to your base skill rating with that weapon. This option is not available when defaulting.
  3. Increase the target number for an opponent's Dodge Test by +1 per round fired.
  4. Reduce the effect of uncompensated recoil by -1 for every two rounds fired (round down).
  5. Any combination of the previous four options.
Except in the case of the fourth option, recoil is calculated and handled using the standard rules. Note that the Power of the attack is not modified by these rules.

DAMAGE CODES

It is assumed that some Damage Codes (primarily the Power ratings for FA weapons like Assault Rifles) would be modified to a more appropriate value representing armor penetration to compensate for the lack of any Power-enhancing aspects in these burst-fire rules. Only different types of ammunition would influence Power under these rules.
mmu1
What weapons would the "Unconventional" skill cover, though? I really don't think that what we want is a ranged version of the Staff skill, that covers all kinds of disparate weapons for no logical reason.

Gyrojets and Lasers should, logically speaking, fall into appropriate rifle and psitol categories. Same with dart pistols and so on. Not sure how that works out, balance-wise.

Eye weapons ought to require no skill, IMO, and allow you to just roll Quickness, or maybe Perception, instead (unless you want to specialize in them, of course) - especially considering how damn useless they are. If someone really wants to handicap himself by wasting essence of one, there's no need to punish them further.

What does that leave? Gun canes and spray weapons?
TheOneRonin
Okay. Thanks for all the input. Let me see if I can edit/streamline things and make them a bit less nonsensical.

Shotguns:
#1: Shot Ammo...+2 Power vs. unarmored targets, -1DL vs armored targets, and -1TN at Medium, Long, and Extreme ranges (due to spread).
#2: Flechette Ammo...see Raygun's rules here. Toss out choke rules for simplicity.
#3: When firing slugs, Shotguns can default to Assault Weapons.
#4: APDS (saboted slugs) ammo is available for shotguns.

Light Pistols:
Damage Code: 6M-7M
Conceal: Should be +2 or +1 better than heavy pistols
Ammo: Should be 3-5 rounds per magazine less than heavy pistols

Skill Breakdown

Pistols
Shotguns
Assault Weapons
Riflecraft
Machineguns
Launch Weapons
Unconventional Weapons

"Shotguns" would cover all shotguns from your small breaching shotguns all the way to your large combat shotguns. For shotguns loaded with slug ammunition, the shooter can default to the Assault Weapons skill.

"Assault Weapons" covers all shoulder fired weapons classified as Machine Pistols, Submachine Guns, and Assault Rifles (and Carbines if you use Raygun's rules).

"Riflecraft" covers all semi-auto (SA) and single shot (SS) fire from weapons classified as Rifles, Sport Rifles, and Sniper Rifles, and all rifle fire using scopes.

"Machineguns" would cover everything from man portable LMGs (M249 SAW, Ingram Valiant) to heavy, vehicle mounted (manually fired) miniguns (Ares Vanquisher). If the weapon is fired through vehicle controls, use the Gunnery skill. If the weapon is fired by some guy in a turret or by a door gunner, then use the Machineguns skill. Direct contact with the gun/manual aiming = Machine Guns skill. Sensor-assisted = Gunnery.

"Launch Weapons" would cover everything from underbarrel grenade launchers to shoulder-fired ATGMs. Again, if such a weapon system is fired by the vehicle's control systems, then use Gunnery instead of Launch Weapons. Note: This doesn't include things like automatic grenade launchers, though (MK19, XM307, etc...). Those should use the Machine Guns skill.

"Unconventional Weapons" includes your strange weapons like gun canes, gyrojet weapons, and Laser weapons.

Oh, and I have never used Knockdown rules in SR. They are beyond asinine, since most small arms ammunition doesn't have anywhere near enough mass to physically knock down a human body. Falling after being shot is mostly a psychological thing, unless you take a hit to the brain or spinal cord.

Instead of Knockdown rules, I use Professional Rating. That indicates what level of damage a NPC needs to get hit with to make him fall.

Professional Rating 1:Will fall at a light wound or greater.
Professional Rating 2:Will fall at a moderate wound or greater.
Professional Rating 3:Will fall at a serious wound or greater.
Professional Rating 4:Will only fall with a deadly wound.

Kagetenshi
The skills I'm looking to get rid of are Bracer, Gun Cane, Eye Gun, and Oral Gun. If reasonable I'd also like to get rid of Gyrojet and possibly Laser Weapons; Spray Weapons I don't have so much of a problem with, as between the chemtech weapons, flamethrowers, and the fact that it's linked to Heavy Weapons I think it's sufficiently non-punishing.

One thing I'd forgotten: with Bracer and Gun Cane, current canon is to only be able to default to Pistols or Quickness. Might this be an argument to toss them in under Pistols?

~J
mmu1
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
The skills I'm looking to get rid of are Bracer, Gun Cane, Eye Gun, and Oral Gun. If reasonable I'd also like to get rid of Gyrojet and possibly Laser Weapons; Spray Weapons I don't have so much of a problem with, as between the chemtech weapons, flamethrowers, and the fact that it's linked to Heavy Weapons I think it's sufficiently non-punishing.

One thing I'd forgotten: with Bracer and Gun Cane, current canon is to only be able to default to Pistols or Quickness. Might this be an argument to toss them in under Pistols?

~J

I don't think it'd hurt the game any to toss gun cane and bracers under Pistols. The skill already covers guns ranging in size (and consequently, differing in handling) from something barely bigger than a Zippo lighter to a heavy pistol the size of a small SMG.

Then you could, instead of "Unconventional Weapons" have a "Ranged Cyber-Implant" skill to cover any and all silly weapons people might actually implant in their bodies, and be done with it.

Laser weapons are rare enough that I don't think it's altogether reasonable to make them their own skill... Gyrojet I have some doubts about, they're stupidly high-powered, if you include them in Rifles and Pistols you might want to adjust the availability.
Modesitt
I've been playing Shadowrun for three years and can't remember ever calling for or being called to roll a Knockdown test... Are they really even worth considering for revision?

Most people don't use them because it's just one more roll in combat that's slow enough. If we tied it into the soak itself though, then people might use them. Maybe if you don't roll at least X successes on soak when you're hit with a weapon with Y base damage code you suffer knockdown/knockback, where X gets bigger as Y gets bigger.

RE: Laser weapons - In my opinion, the problem with them isn't that they're their own skill, it's that it they aren't grouped with anything. This means you will be defaulting to Quickness if you don't have the skill, so even if given opportunity to use one you will never take it. Group it with the rest of the guns so you can default from skill to skill and players might actually use one if given the opportunity. Note that they can take external smartlinks just fine, so they aren't all that bad.

RE: Unconventional - I like what mmu1 says. If you want to represent that the things like bracers and such just aren't REAL guns, maybe all strange, unconventional weapons should receive a +1 TN modifier? Or we could do something like "These weapons suffer double uncompensated recoil, including on the first shot" - Meaning that most chars will suffer penalties unless they have a non-gun form of recoil compensation.
Kagetenshi
The Gun Cane and Bracer each only get one round, and the Bracer receives a flat +1 TN mod. I think that's punishment enough.

Oh, they also use Hold-Out ranges and deal 6L. You know, I might as well not bother considering them, because no one is ever going to use them.

I like the "let laser weapons default" idea. Definitely leaning towards that. More later.

~J
mfb
eh. i don't like the idea of tossing all unconventional weapons in together. honestly, if it were up to me, i simply wouldn't include skills for them at all--you'd always default to pistols/rifles/whatever. i mean, seriously--who the hell takes a cane gun or bracer gun to the range?
Krazy
if I had one I would. but then I'm not normal, so it may be just me. I'd say throw em in with pistols, it makes as much sense as the current rules (i'm told that people who train extenivly with one type of pistol ie DAO semi auto have trouble when converting to a diffrent type ie single action revolver, but that's just a rumor)
SirBedevere
QUOTE (mmu1)
I don't think it'd hurt the game any to toss gun cane and bracers under Pistols. The skill already covers guns ranging in size (and consequently, differing in handling) from something barely bigger than a Zippo lighter to a heavy pistol the size of a small SMG.

Then you could, instead of "Unconventional Weapons" have a "Ranged Cyber-Implant" skill to cover any and all silly weapons people might actually implant in their bodies, and be done with it.

I like these ideas, though I'm no gun expert. I've only ever fired at ranges.

I too think that "let laser weapons default" is a good idea. When firing the laser you don't have to worry about ballistic trajectory or leading a moving target.
Req
QUOTE (SirBedevere)
I like these ideas, though I'm no gun expert. I've only ever fired at ranges.

I too think that "let laser weapons default" is a good idea. When firing the laser you don't have to worry about ballistic trajectory or leading a moving target.

...and so, when you DO lead the moving target and think about trajectory becauce every other damn gun you've ever fired had to, you tend to miss...
SirBedevere
D'oh! embarrassed.gif
mmu1
QUOTE (Req @ Jun 16 2005, 11:46 AM)
QUOTE (SirBedevere @ Jun 16 2005, 02:20 AM)
I like these ideas, though I'm no gun expert.  I've only ever fired at ranges.

I too think that "let laser weapons default" is a good idea.  When firing the laser you don't have to worry about ballistic trajectory or leading a moving target.

...and so, when you DO lead the moving target and think about trajectory becauce every other damn gun you've ever fired had to, you tend to miss...

I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure no one actually does deflection shooting in real-life combat situations, so I think that's irrelevant. So is accounting for trajectory, at normal combat ranges - you set your sights, and you aim center mass, AFAIK.

There are virtually no reasons why shooting a laser weapon (a practical one, not some silly thing requiring you to keep a beam on target for a second or two to cause real damage, that no one would bother to manufacture and market) would ever require a different skill than shooting a normal pistol or rifle - shooting a recoilless weapon that hits its target instantly at all practical engagement ranges would be so much easier than shooting a standard firearm, that it'd more than balance out any penalties due to unfamiliarity.

I've shot a lot, and I have yet to be in a situation where I would go "Damn. This gun is too accurate, recoils too little and the trigger pull is too smooth, it's making me shoot like crap."
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (mmu1)
I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure no one actually does deflection shooting in real-life combat situations, so I think that's irrelevant.

Air combat aside, I should think most trained combatants will lead moving targets outside of CQB unless they're just spraying and praying. Once you get close to and beyond 100 meters, I would assume you would reflextively lead a moving target, because it's trained so heavily these days -- and it's only going to be trained more in the future as technologies are developed that allow for more realistic combat training.

The only example from an actual combat situation that I can think is from BHD, where Delta SFC Howe describes how he took a lead on some somalis running across a road. He was not under fire himself at the time, however, and a Delta operator is hardly an average combatant.

In CQB, though, I'm sure you're right. Once you can tell which color the eyes of your target are, leading becomes a non-issue. With a laser pistol, then, people would probably perform remarkably well. wink.gif
TheOneRonin
I'll AE on leading moving targets. I didn't serve in a high-speed unit like Delta (just plain old Mech Inf) but you learn real fast that you can't hit moving targets without leading them.

However, I will say that the MILES gear in service today actually hurts soldiers' ability to engage moving targets. Since you are bascially just playing a glorified game of Laser Tag, you don't ever have to lead your targets. The more these guys train with MILES, the worse they get at target engagement out past 100 meters, or moving target engagement at any range.

But despite the differences, I think it would be generally very easy for a trained soldier to switch from using a firearm to a SR laser weapon. I would say simply dump laser weapons in with the other small arm skills, picking the exact skill that is relative to the size/configuration of the laser. I think either Pistols or Assault Weapons would be ideal.
Krazy
and since most CQB involves point shooting instead of real aiming, it wouldn't make much diffrence. and leading doesn't make much diffrence under 100m with a rifle, as the time the bullet is in the air is very small. the leading is more to keep on target while you pull the trigger.
Raygun
QUOTE (Krazy @ Jun 16 2005, 11:46 PM)
and since most CQB involves point shooting instead of real aiming, it wouldn't make much diffrence.

What?

and leading doesn't make much diffrence under 100m with a rifle, as the time the bullet is in the air is very small. the leading is more to keep on target while you pull the trigger.

That would depend entirely upon the size of the object you were intending to hit and how fast it was moving. True, it's unlikely to be an issue under most combat situations, but in my experience playing SR, rather odd things have happened during combat that probably couldn't be filed under "most combat situations".

For example, with an M16A2 loaded with M855, you'd need 2.96 feet of lead to hit a target (where you wanted to) moving laterally at 20 mph, 100 yards away. That 0.1 second of flight time makes three feet of difference at 100 yards, under those circumstances. (Say someone's head through a car window, maybe?) Lead is definitely something you'd want to know about in case a situation ever presented itself.
Krazy
when I took a CQB course there wasn't time to aquire sights (although I think I may have been instictivly) so you point-shoot, basicly point the barrel at the target and pull the trigger.
as for lead, yes speed and size matter, I was meaning that at a human sized running speed, lead is more to keep on target as the instinct is to stop and pull the trigger, not follow through. but I'm definitly not a combat expert.
Austere Emancipator
The average human can run ~18mph for short distances, and, to be pedantic, the M855 will have slowed by around 300fps over the first 100 meters (average velocity ~2900fps, might be less, is very unlikely to be more), so you'll have to take about the same lead (~3 feet, 0.9 meters) when firing at a human sprinting at 90 degrees to your line of fire at 100 meters. Not to mention those pesky Horse Shamans with Levitate or Cyberskates...

With the weapon I trained with, the flight time to 150 meters (most common range in our rifle training) was ~0.23 seconds, so of course my views on will be different from those who trained with an M16A2 and did a lot of MILES or similar training -- or indeed someone who trained with this. wink.gif
Krazy
standing corrected
TheOneRonin
[thinly veiled thread bump]
So Kage, where do you stand on what's been proposed so far, ruleswise?
[/thinly veiled thread bump]
Kagetenshi
Overview/discussion coming, just working on some Matrix-related stuff right at this instant.

~J
ShadowDragon8685

Why do I just see a big human sammie with an LMG implanted in his arm, saying "This is my Ultra AC 5."

Then his bigger and more cybered ork sammie buddy steps up behind him with an MMG, saying "This is my Ultra AC 10."

Then their big-ass troll buddy who's so cybered he hums has a Panther AC in his arm, and says "Yo jus' know this is mu UV/AC 20, biiiiitch."

Then they all simultainously say "And anybody who makes a Battletech crack gets introduced to all three!"

smile.gif

And re: Guncanes/bracers only having one round, I just have two words.

"MetalStorm Technology"

Or is it spelled as "Metal Storm," in which case it'd be three words...
Kagetenshi
Review:

1) Shotguns are your new god

<In progress>

2) Pistols and their damage codes

<In progress>

3) Skill groupings

Laser weapons are still their own skill but are now grouped with other firearms (can default to/from).

Bracers and gun canes now use Pistols. There's a reason somewhere, I'm sure of it.

Rifles and Assault Rifles now use the same skill.

Eye guns, cyberguns, etc. now use Ranged Cyber-Implant Combat. I'm not entirely happy with this and would prefer to lump them with another skill, but I can't see one that makes sense.

The Blowgun is now under Projectile Weapons

That leaves us with a final skill list of:
  • Quickness

<begin linked skill block>

Pistols
    Submachine Guns
    Rifles
    Shotguns
    Laser Weapons

<end linked skill block>

Ranged Cyber-Implant Combat

• Strength

Throwing Weapons
    Projectile Weapons

Heavy Weapons
    Spray weapons

<end linked skill block>

• Intelligence

Gunnery
    Launch Weapons

<end linked skill block>

Questions/comments?

~J
Critias
Looks good so far.
Yoan
Lovely! I would like to see Pistols and their damage codes worked out next... cool.gif Always been a major gripe of mine. I have a binder full of theories, houserules, etc...
Kagetenshi
Shotguns, tentative suggestion:

Shot damage follows the current flechette rules (as it seems to me to make some vague sense there, in contrast with actual flechettes—I'm still not sure if I'm going to fix them or not, as while they're insane they're not unbalanced or difficult to use. We'll get to that, though). Choke is gone, shot now applies a flat -1 TN and can only hit one target.

Opinions? This (as far as I can tell) makes it simpler, more balanced, and encourages the uncybered to use shot…

~J
mmu1
1. I like it - it's simple and sensible. One question, though - how does this -1 stack (or not stack) with smartlinks, laser sights and scopes (or vision magnification)? Logically, it should, but so should a scope and a smartlink, though for the sake of balance, they don't.

If it's meant to encourage the non-cybered to use it, perhaps it ought to not stack with smartlinks, for example.

2. For some reason, narcojet and other chemical delivery systems are on my mind... nyahnyah.gif I think the current system - where a narcojet dart is resisted the same way getting sprayed with acid or a contact poison would be - makes very little sense, since the game does have rules for being injured with a poisoned weapon, which require that weapon to first actually inflict damage. The magical armor-piercing darts need to go. wink.gif
Kagetenshi
1) It stacks with smartlinks, which by current canon are reduced to -1 (out of a usual -2 bonus), so it ends up being a null advantage with a smartlink. By canon laser sights and smartgoggles don't help, so it "stacks" with them for a net -1.

2) I agree. Any suggestions for them?

~J
mmu1
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Jul 1 2005, 01:23 PM)
1) It stacks with smartlinks, which by current canon are reduced to -1 (out of a usual -2 bonus), so it ends up being a null advantage with a smartlink. By canon laser sights and smartgoggles don't help, so it "stacks" with them for a net -1.

2) I agree. Any suggestions for them?

~J

Off the top of my head I would say... Give the dart a power rating and damage code equivalent to - I dunno, let's say to whatever we settle on for light pistols - but cap the actual physical damage inflicted by it at L. (it's not meant to be deadly in any but the most extreme circumstances) Handle it like a normal weapon-delivered toxin from that point on.

Mind you, I don't have access to the rules at work, so I could be missing reasons why this would be a really bad idea...
Vaevictis
As far as skill groupings are concerned, it almost seems that what you guys are looking for is something that cannot be addressed by one single skill per classification. It seems what really needs to be done is combinations of skills adding together for a single die pool on a roll. I know it's not the Shadowrun way, but it seems like that it might more accurately reflect what you're aiming for.

For example, limit each of these to (Linked Attribute)/2 for purposes of increasing karma costs (ie, gets obnoxious after 3 or so on average):

Group One:
Handguns (any small arm primarily braced by the hand)
Rifles (any small arm primarily braced by the shoulder)

Group Two:
Combat Range Aiming (<=250 meters; someone more knowledgable might argue a different range delineation, which is fine -- but you get the idea)
Sniper Range Aiming (>250 meters)

Group Three:
Automatic/Burst Fire
Single Shot/Semi Automatic Fire
Buckshot Ammo

Your die pool consists of the combination of your skills in each of the three skills. For example, you have Handguns (3), Combat Range Aiming (3), Single Shot (1), and you are firing in semi-automatic mode at a target range 80 meters with a handgun -- so you roll 7 dice against the target number. Additionally, if you do not have the correct skill in the appropriate group, you can roll the next-most appropriate skill that you do have in the group as a complimentary skill (ie, 2 successes on complimentary equals 1 on regular).

I know this is more complicated, and is kind of not in harmony with the typical Shadowrun system, but it seems to me that the level of realism you guys want is just incompatible with what the Shadowrun system is capable of delivering.
Vaevictis
Regarding shotguns and buckshot style ammo, what about reducing damage level AND power by -1 each time it spreads, -1 TN per time it spreads (to a maximum of say, -3), to a minimum of (2)L, successes only stage on primary target, and non-targets suffer effects similar to suppressive fire (with number of successes to dodge equal to remaining power/2)?

Gosh, that's complicated. But shotguns do blast an area, after all.

EDIT: Hmm, on second thought, why not make shotguns work just like supressive fire PERIOD, with the number of "bullets" in the area being power, or something like that?
Kagetenshi
Though I'm not a fan of that idea, that does bring up a question: shotguns and suppressive fire. Should it be able to be used for this, and if so how?

If we're going to allow it to be used, I'd say each shotgun blast requires three successes to dodge but can only be allocated to a one-meter area. As a result, a Semiauto shotgun would be able to effectively suppress a one-meter area while a burst-fire shotgun would be able to suppress up to a three-meter area as desired. Alternately, we could kick it down to two successes per blast and allow semiauto and burst-fire to both fire twice (obviously it would be as a part of a larger suppressive fire action).

Any thoughts?

~J
Vaevictis
I dunno about that. The whole idea of supressive fire working like that is that you are spraying the area with bullets until the end of the turn. You can't do that with a non-full-auto weapon.

I think delaying action with a shotgun can achieve a close enough effect, and still ends up being more realistic.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Vaevictis)
But shotguns do blast an area, after all.

That are isn't anything compared to what you get in SR3, though. As has been mentioned in this thread, patterns wider than 1 meter inside the effective range of a shotgun quite rare.

Without any choke (zero constriction), with a normal-length shotgun, you're going to get something like 40% of the pellets inside a 30" (0.76m) diameter circle at 40 yards (36.6m), ~70% inside the same at 25 yards. With Improved Cylinder through to Full chokes, you get from ~50% to ~70% inside 30" at 40 yards.

The pattern being basically a normal distribution, that means ~90% of the pellets within a 95" (2.4m) diameter circle at 40 meters with zero constriction, ~90% inside 48" (1.2 meters) with full choke, but since the effective range (against humans) of a shotgun firing lead shot will vary from ~20 meters (zero constriction) up to 40-50 meters (full choke), you're basically looking at ~1 meter spreads at the extreme effective range with any particular choke setting -- or as Clyde said something like a hundred messages back, "Most sporting shotguns are designed to put their "pattern" into one square yard at the limit of their range."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012