Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ranged Combat
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Community Projects
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Krazy
I guess I should have put <smartass> tags on that. I play paintball, own my own gear, and play all manner of simulated combat-ish games. I know painball isnt realistic (in real life I'd never try to hide behind a two inch wide tree) at 300 FPS, range and accuracy are severly hampered (that and many other factors). My point was that if you want to operate in a world where the laws of physics rule, and you want combat, play paintball. if you want to have fun with abstract ideas play SR. personaly I don't care if the weapons and rules in SR are a bit whacked, I stll have fun with them. (oh and BTW the average rental marker doesn't have sights Tippmanns do, but the others really don't, they're either accessory mounts or just fairings for looks)
Raygun
QUOTE (Critias @ May 28 2005, 07:54 AM)
I am all for rifles and assault rifles (at the least, maybe even shotguns too) being folded into a single skill.

One of my favorite firearms-skill breakdowns had pistols (including some SMGs) in one skill, rifles (including assault rifles, shotguns, and some other SMGs) in another skill, and "full auto" as a skill all it's own (if you plink on semi-auto with an M-16, you use rifles.  If you spray and pray, you use full auto -- ditto with uzis, MP5s).

So in a way it was just "shoulder weapons," "handguns," and "blazing merrily away."

That would be one of the more reasonable ways of going about it, as the majority of peole on earth aren't going to have the slightest idea of how to use automatic fire efficiently; kind of the differences in learning those skills from a hunting background as opposed to a military background. Though I think I would probably make autofire a "specialization" of either skill (with target numbers penalized if used without said specialization), rather than making it a separate skill entirely. Obviously, a Machine Gun skill would include it by default. Sniping could be another type of "specialization".

In my opinion, shotguns absolutely do not belong in the same skill group as rifles or SMGs. They may be long arms, but there is a very distinct difference in how shotguns are employed that training with other weapon types would not cover, both from hunting and tactical points of view. Shotguns should have their own skill.
Critias
Bah. Ya brace one end firmly against your shoulder, point the other end at the bad guy, and hope you've got the right one in the right place before you pull the trigger. How hard can it be? wink.gif
Raygun
If you and Flea should ever make it up here, I'll show you. smile.gif
Critias
I understand there's a big difference between buckshot at a clay pigeon and a semi-auto rifle at an ork fifty feet out (not that I've done a lot of ork shooting, mind you, but I've done my part to wipe out those filthy clay pigeons) -- but, seriously, how much difference is there between a slug-firing rifled barrel shotgun (mounting a scope, etc) that someone uses to hunt a deer, and any other rifle? Besides the method used to ready the next round (and not even that, always, in some shotguns)?

It always seemed to be (without ever having fired slugs, or in fact fired a shotgun at all besides killing pigeons of the clay variety) the basic principles, stances, etc, would be pretty much the same as a "normal" rifle once you slapped a scope on there, fixed the barrel up for accurate slug-tossing, and started lobbing out the long shots.
Krazy
not much at all, you could make the argument that shotguns typicly have a slightly diffrent stock shape, but that's a given for every gun. so divide the skills into aiming and pointing? still target and wing shooting? I don't think that you can abstact them very well, I mean with pistols you could have a seperate skill for every station of a course of fire (standing, kneeling, long distance, CQB, from cover) I think the best thing to do is just let the TN's deturmine how well actions are accomplished. btw, this was a serious post
SpasticTeapot
Perhaps things could be divided up in multiple ways. For example, people could learn to use shotguns of all types, or learn just semi-auto and pump shotguns in addition to semi-auto "sporting" rifles, or all "long" burst or full-auto weapons, such as assault rifles and auto-shotguns. The latter is bound to be abused, however.
Raygun
QUOTE (Critias @ May 29 2005, 12:37 AM)
I understand there's a big difference between buckshot at a clay pigeon and a semi-auto rifle at an ork fifty feet out (not that I've done a lot of ork shooting, mind you, but I've done my part to wipe out those filthy clay pigeons) -- but, seriously, how much difference is there between a slug-firing rifled barrel shotgun (mounting a scope, etc) that someone uses to hunt a deer, and any other rifle?  Besides the method used to ready the next round (and not even that, always, in some shotguns)?

There's really not much difference between using a slug gun (as opposed to a shotgun) and a rifle. In that case, I would allow the non-defaulted use of the Rifle skill, as what you're using technically is a rifle, and you're using it under very similar circumstances to a rifle. But, obviously, that's not what I had in mind.

There's a right huge difference between the kind of shooting one learns to do with a shotgun from a hunting background than the kind of shooting one learns with a rifle under pretty much any circumstances. Most of which has to do with speed of identification and engagement and leading moving targets. You learn those skills much sooner and at a faster pace shotgunning than one would when learning rifles and other long arms, if they find it necessary at all. As far as military training goes, there's really not much that would be different, other than the use of specialized munitions that simply aren't available in a rifle format, and special circumstances.

It's said that a shotgunner often makes for an excellent rifleman, while a rifleman often makes for a shitty shotgunner.
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (Raygun @ May 28 2005, 11:43 PM)
It's said that a shotgunner often makes for an excellent rifleman, while a rifleman often makes for a shitty shotgunner.

...and a fat guy makes a good pistol shooter.
mmu1
QUOTE (Raygun)
There's a right huge difference between the kind of shooting one learns to do with a shotgun from a hunting background than the kind of shooting one learns with a rifle under pretty much any circumstances. Most of which has to do with speed of identification and engagement and leading moving targets. You learn those skills much sooner and at a faster pace shotgunning than one would when learning rifles and other long arms, if they find it necessary at all. As far as military training goes, there's really not much that would be different, other than the use of specialized munitions that simply aren't available in a rifle format, and special circumstances.

This is SR, though - why treat shotgun as a separate skill when 90% of people with the skill will NOT have learned it as part of a hunting background?
mfb
so that's what the doughnuts are for, frosty?
FrostyNSO
How do you think the hole gets in the middle? biggrin.gif
Raygun
QUOTE (mmu1 @ May 29 2005, 04:58 AM)
This is SR, though - why treat shotgun as a separate skill when 90% of people with the skill will NOT have learned it as part of a hunting background?

Whether or not it's SR really doesn't matter. It's a different set of skills and, IMO, it's the right thing to do. Non combat-oriented characters (especially those from countries with heavy restrictions on firearms) might be more likely to learn shotgunning skills far before they would learn any skills specific to riflecraft.

I guess "shotgun" could also be a "specialization" of the Rifle skill, like "autofire" and "long range riflecraft", though that's kind of a backward way of dealing with it. Maybe I'm just not a huge fan of generalizing skills that much. Maybe it shouldn't matter at all.
Krazy
one could do active skills the same way as knowlege skills, and just have them overlap all over the place. (as if char creation wasn't complex enough already)
TheOneRonin
For the better part of 3 years, I've divided up Firearm skills into the following:

Handguns (any firearm gripped in one or two hands that isn't shoulder-fired)
Examples: Ares Predator, Ingram Smartgun (stock folded), Ruger Superwarhawk

Longarms (any firearm that is shoulder fired, but not primarily designed as a heavy weapon)
Examples: Colt M-23, MP5 (most variants), Ranger Arms SM3, Remington 990 shotgun

Gunnery (any firearm that is designed primarily for full-auto fire and/or fixed position use)
Examples: M-60, M-249 SAW, Vindicator Minigun, various other LMGs, HMGs, Assault Cannons, and whatnot

Launch Weapons Same as canon

This has worked well in my games, and it makes sense.

Also, has anyone considered keeping firearms (or any other skill for that matter) very general until rating 6 or so, then forcing characters to specialize beyond that?

In Raygun's example, your Rifleman and Shogtunner bacially would use the same "Longarms" skill until they reach rating 6. After that, the Shotgunner HAS to specialize in Shotguns if he wants to progress beyond a rating 6. To me, that reflects that the skills don't really diverge until you reach a realtively high level of proficiency. Below rating 6, your shotgunner and rifleman are using pretty much the same methods and skill sets.

Any comments/ideas?
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (TheOneRonin @ Jun 6 2005, 08:02 AM)
Also, has anyone considered keeping firearms (or any other skill for that matter) very general until rating 6 or so, then forcing characters to specialize beyond that?

In Raygun's example, your Rifleman and Shogtunner bacially would use the same "Longarms" skill until they reach rating 6.  After that, the Shotgunner HAS to specialize in Shotguns if he wants to progress beyond a rating 6.  To me, that reflects that the skills don't really diverge until you reach a realtively high level of proficiency.  Below rating 6, your shotgunner and rifleman are using pretty much the same methods and skill sets.

This is an interesting idea, but if you're going that route then it should be a general rule for all skills. In fact I'd actually lower the maximum ranks you can get before having to specialize to 4; after that point you're mostly spending karma to develop your own personal "style" rather than proficiency, so at that point it would be an interesting twist to force people to specialize. That should be an optional rule, however, as it increases the bookkeepping for a not-really-necessary reason.

I like your skill deliniations. However I still think there should be a Str-based weapons skill, just to keep trolls and orks from getting screwed over. So, I like the idea of yours + Heavy Weapons.

OH, and one more thing: "Line of Sight" should probably have a range modifier set of its own, so casters, for example, actually have to deal with range penalties when casting a spell, and everyone has to deal with range penalties for Perception tests.
Kagetenshi
I'm not sure I agree that spellcasters should have to deal with range modifiers--actually, I think I don't. Range modifiers for perception tests yes, though--when you're engaging a target at 2.3 kilometers, finding them should be an issue.

~J
Eyeless Blond
Then why soft cover modifiers? Visability modifiers? In fact, casters already have to deal with every type of ranged combat modifier *except* range, because, what, somehow not being able to see someone very well (soft cover), or see someone very well (glare/darkness), is different from not being able to see someone very well (being far away)? smile.gif
Kagetenshi
I suppose that's a point. Thinking on't.

~J
TheOneRonin
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
This is an interesting idea, but if you're going that route then it should be a general rule for all skills. In fact I'd actually lower the maximum ranks you can get before having to specialize to 4; after that point you're mostly spending karma to develop your own personal "style" rather than proficiency, so at that point it would be an interesting twist to force people to specialize. That should be an optional rule, however, as it increases the bookkeepping for a not-really-necessary reason.

I like your skill deliniations. However I still think there should be a Str-based weapons skill, just to keep trolls and orks from getting screwed over. So, I like the idea of yours + Heavy Weapons.

OH, and one more thing: "Line of Sight" should probably have a range modifier set of its own, so casters, for example, actually have to deal with range penalties when casting a spell, and everyone has to deal with range penalties for Perception tests.

You make a good point. I suppose 4 makes a much better breaking point than 6. But I don't suppose that's a discussion for this thread.

As for STR based firearms, I don't get it. I understand the game balance issue, but I just don't see STR being a factor in using ANY firearm, short of making easier to carry/hold some of the heavier ones. Leave the STR linked skills tied to melee weapons. QCK and INT only for firearms.

As for line of sight, yeah, I toyed around with have weapon independant visual range target # modifiers, but it just added too much complexity and number crunching. That, and it made the TNs skyrocket. It might just be simpler to impose a flat TN modifier if a target is over X numbers of meters away and the shooter doesn't have a scope or any type of visual magnification.
SirBedevere
QUOTE (TheOneRonin)
It might just be simpler to impose a flat TN modifier if a target is over X numbers of meters away and the shooter doesn't have a scope or any type of visual magnification.

I like this idea smile.gif

Don't forget, most orks and trolls will get recoil modifiers due to STR which will even things out a bit.

I do like your firearms categorisations as well. biggrin.gif
Link

The 2nd Ed. Grimoire has such a table for spellcasting which I still use and also apply to perception. It makes goggles and binoculars useful.

Other points:
If the 'ammo swapping within the same weapon class' rules are dropped hold-outs and light pistols can be combined. Weapon class would then only pertain to range categories while weapons should be assigned calibres.

SMG's are penalised if fired 1 handed (or only pistols can be fired simultaneously).

Use the Shadowland(?) rules for autofire where recoil compensation isn't a TN modifier but determines the base number of rounds on target. Extra succeses can be used for staging or extra rounds on target.

Perhaps a bit too radical but you could look at SR1 power levels for small arms which range from 3 or 4 to 6. While armour ratings would have to be revised it would make the soak roll a little more pertinent where a character has light or no armour. Multiple rounds would add 1 to power and wound category for every 3 fired (double tap would add 1 to power). With SR2/3 power starts at 6 and manipulation spells seem to suffer in comparison.
Raygun
QUOTE (TheOneRonin)
In Raygun's example, your Rifleman and Shogtunner bacially would use the same "Longarms" skill until they reach rating 6. After that, the Shotgunner HAS to specialize in Shotguns if he wants to progress beyond a rating 6. To me, that reflects that the skills don't really diverge until you reach a realtively high level of proficiency. Below rating 6, your shotgunner and rifleman are using pretty much the same methods and skill sets.

Any comments/ideas?

Yeah. That's not really how it works, at least not in my experience. But I guess it's the best example I've seen of dealing with the problem (or at least what I perceive as such) so far.

Generally, what you tend to learn first in shotgunning is how to engage fast moving targets at relatively short range. That applies to both hunting and military/tactical training. In riflecraft, you learn in pretty much the exact opposite fashion. Slow moving targets at relatively long range first. The skills you learn in shotgunning can be applied to certain "advanced" rifle skills, such as CQB/CRE. But the skills you learn first in riflecraft really don't apply much to shotgunning, as there are extremely few circumstances in which you'd bother to engage any target with a shotgun beyond, say, 100 meters. In other words, people tend to learn shotgunning from the inside out and riflecraft from the outside in (or further out).

Also, in shotgunning, you don't deal with ballistics as point travelling in an arc as you would in riflecraft, but rather as a cone (again, slug guns have more in common with rifles than shotguns). So you tend to think about how to engage the target differently. That is, you think about it a lot less when shotgunning than you tend to in riflecraft, especially at longer ranges (sniping and such).

Anyway, "longarms" as a general skill kind of bothers me as there are longarms whose skills sets don't necessarily relate well to each other, especially at the lower levels. But that's just me.
TheOneRonin
You know Raygun, I wasn't much of a hunter growing up, and I never received tactical shotgun training while I was in the Army, so I don't have much experience at all when it comes to being a "shotgunner". So I think it's a safe bet that you are dead on with how people train on them.

However, my experience with rifle training in the Army (mech inf) doesn't quite fit into your rifleman generalization. Sure, on the qualification range we shoot out to 300 meters with iron sites, but in most of the battle drills and combat training we did, almost all of the combat happened at 100 meters or closer. 50 - 75 meters was the norm. Indeed, we didn't engage too many moving targets, but there always were a few. In fact, a large majority of ARM (advanced rifle marksmanship, taught in Infantry school) was about engaging moving targets, and putting out effective fire from other than the prone supported position.

I agree that an advanced shotgunner and an advanced rifleman will think about engaging targets differently. But I don't think that happens until the shooter gets particularly skilled in his respective weapon and the understanding of how it works. To me, that level of understanding doesn't happen until the shooter at least gets to a rating 4 or 5 in the skill. At the beginning levels, it's all stable platform, sight picture, breathing, and trigger squeeze. And those things should be universal across most shoulder-fired small arms.

Eyeless Blond
Well, if you are going to do this remember that one of the main goals of SR3R is to reduce the number of exceptions in the rules. That is, if Ranged Combat requires specialization starting at skill level 4, then all other skills should as well. And, really, it's not all that bad an idea; it certainly makes people with higher-level skills more distinctive from one another, but it's something to keep in mind.
TheOneRonin
Bingo. I like the idea, but I think it would be way too cumbersome a rule to implement. And honestly, the only purpose of it would be to satisfy our morbid sense of firearm reality rather than for any actual gameplay balance/purpose.

Heck, you might even break it down this way:

Rating 1-4: General Skill (ie. Longarms)
Rating 5-7: Specialization (ie. Shotguns)
Rating 8+ : Specific Weapon (Remington 990)

Again, you'd have to do this with all the skills in the book to keep consistancy. For now, I think this part of the discussion needs it's own thread.

<ceasing thread hijack operations>
Raygun
QUOTE (TheOneRonin)
However, my experience with rifle training in the Army (mech inf) doesn't quite fit into your rifleman generalization. Sure, on the qualification range we shoot out to 300 meters with iron sites, but in most of the battle drills and combat training we did, almost all of the combat happened at 100 meters or closer. 50 - 75 meters was the norm.

The thing about how you learned in the military is that you were concentrating on assault rifles and machine guns, which are taught differently than general riflecraft is otherwise (how I learned it from a hunting background). With assault rifles, you learn both short range techniques that would apply more to submachine guns and mid-range techniques that apply to rifles. Marrying the two techniques into one weapon was the entire conception behind the assault rifle. It is a more generalized skill set than people tend to learn otherwise.

Indeed, we didn't engage too many moving targets, but there always were a few. In fact, a large majority of ARM (advanced rifle marksmanship, taught in Infantry school) was about engaging moving targets, and putting out effective fire from other than the prone supported position.

To be fair, I didn't say that you don't spend any time at all engaging moving targets in rifle training (I get my practice on gophers). But I would like to have a better idea of how much time you spent on engaging moving targets and at what ranges this training took place from a military standpoint. My guess is that when you're learning techniques that are more akin to submachine gun skills than riflecraft, close range engagement and the ability to engage fast moving targets at short range are likely to be taught a lot sooner and more intensely than they are otherwise.

I agree that an advanced shotgunner and an advanced rifleman will think about engaging targets differently. But I don't think that happens until the shooter gets particularly skilled in his respective weapon and the understanding of how it works.  To me, that level of understanding doesn't happen until the shooter at least gets to a rating 4 or 5 in the skill.

Well, in respect to riflecraft, yes. I would agree. In shotgunning, you really don't tend to think about it much other than, "gee, out that far, my pattern is going to be way too big to do much of anything."

I guess my example on this point had more to do with the generalized skill being called "rifles" rather than "longarms". I didn't think riflecraft should be that generalized.

At the beginning levels, it's all stable platform, sight picture, breathing, and trigger squeeze. And those things should be universal across most shoulder-fired small arms.

That's true. But that kind of thing I would associate more with very low skill levels (1-2). They're even things that can be taught without real application (i.e. sitting in your living room). By the time you get to be at an "average" level, you're likely to have that down to the subconscious. Learning how to handle the weapon does come first. But learning how to engage the target, being conscious of what's beyond it, and how you are likely to affect it are the important parts.

Hell, I've really taken this too far. It's really not that big of a deal. Just wanted to voice my concerns.
Kagetenshi
No problem, gives me things to chew on while I'm figuring out exactly where I want to go with all this. Despite the fact that some of the divisions are silly, I'm leaning towards leaving them the way they are at least for now, but keep right on discussing if desired—if something really grabs my fancy as intuitive and sensible (and balanced), I'll open the floor to the idea of putting it in.

Another sub-question on the topic, though: if we work with the assumption that normal firearms are still going to be divided into Pistols, SMGs, Rifles, Assault Rifles, etc., how can we best get rid of skills that apply to only one weapon (or only a very small class of weapons)? For example, Laser Weapons (this one isn't quite so much an issue, necessarily) and the separate skills for bracers, gun canes, etc.?

~J
Critias
"Exotic Weapons" or something? Link it to Pistols, if anything (since that's what most of them are -- lasers, gyrojets, etc).

If nothing else, though, I really would like to see Rifles and Assault Rifles folded together. It really rubs me the wrong way.
Lindt
The only thing I can think of is to somehow fudge the 'strange' weapons cost to learn. But on the other hand I must admit that some weapons are just so damm strange (oral slasher, eye guns, ect) that they almost NEED their own skills.
Besides, an 'exotic weapon' sounds too much like That Other Game...
Kagetenshi
I'll say up-front that changing the costs of some skills is not an option. I'm not going to make them work differently from the rest of the weapon skills.

You are right that it's difficult to solve sensibly, though. I'm just wondering if there's any way to stretch some other skills to incorporate them, or at least have the "strange" skills cover a few weapons instead of just one…

~J
TheOneRonin
QUOTE (Raygun)

The thing about how you learned in the military is that you were concentrating on  assault rifles and machine guns, which are taught differently than general riflecraft is otherwise (how I learned it from a hunting background). With assault rifles, you learn both short range techniques that would apply more to submachine guns and mid-range techniques that apply to rifles. Marrying the two techniques into one weapon was the entire conception behind the assault rifle. It is a more generalized skill set than people tend to learn otherwise.

Good point. I never did sniper/DM school, so I suppose I never really learned any of the kind of riflecraft that most hunters learn. Got any way to summerize what I missed out on and what separates "riflecraft" from "SMG/ARcraft"?

To be fair, I didn't say that you don't spend any time at all engaging moving targets in rifle training (I get my practice on gophers). But I would like to have a better idea of how much time you spent on engaging moving targets and at what ranges this training took place from a military standpoint. My guess is that when you're learning techniques that are more akin to submachine gun skills than riflecraft, close range engagement and the ability to engage fast moving targets at short range are likely to be taught a lot sooner and more intensely than they are otherwise.

ARM was really only a few weeks, and we shot at moving, man-sized silhouettes at short-medium range (50m - 200m). However, I don't think these qualified as "fast-moving" targets. It was certainly nothing like trying to take a flying duck with your 12-guage. Human beings don't tend to move that fast across your line of fire during an engagement, so I don't suppose those skills were a part of the curriculum.

Again, what's the difference between riflecraft and SMG skills. Apparently, I've been ignorant about this my whole life. Then again, maybe if I actually had the patience to hunt when I was a kid, I'd probably know.

QUOTE (TheOneRonin)
At the beginning levels, it's all stable platform, sight picture, breathing, and trigger squeeze. And those things should be universal across most shoulder-fired small arms.

That's true. But that kind of thing I would associate more with very low skill levels (1-2). They're even things that can be taught without real application (i.e. sitting in your living room). By the time you get to be at an "average" level, you're likely to have that down to the subconscious. Learning how to handle the weapon does come first. But learning how to engage the target, being conscious of what's beyond it, and how you are likely to affect it are the important parts.

That low, eh? Maybe I just overestimate my shooting skill. I suppose my limited experience is the culprit here. I suppose when I think about these skills, I develop a sort of "range mentality". Here is the idea. I can take somone who's never fired a firearm in their life, then spend a few weeks with them on the range shooting an M-16, then after that, if they aren't complete idiots, they can pick up a 12-guage pump action, 30-06 bolt action, or .308 semi-auto and once the learn how it feeds, they should have the same ability to knock down targets as they did with the M-16. At the very least, that's how it's worked for me. I will say, however, I've never had to use anything in combat other what I've trained with.

Hell, I've really taken this too far. It's really not that big of a deal. Just wanted to voice my concerns.

Indeed. And they are all very valid. Apparenlty my experience is severely limited when it comes to the skillsets applicable to different firearms. And that's why we have these boards...to educate dumbasses like me. wink.gif
Raygun
QUOTE (TheOneRonin)
Good point.  I never did sniper/DM school, so I suppose I never really learned any of the kind of riflecraft that most hunters learn.  Got any way to summerize what I missed out on and what separates "riflecraft" from "SMG/ARcraft"?

Generally, what you would learn during assault rifle training would probably represent the best all-around firearms skill for a shadowrunner to have, as it covers close range and medium range engagement as well as automatic fire. That should make it relatively easy to default to similar tasks with different firearms, such as submachine guns and general rifle.

About the only things that appear to me to be left out in assault rifle training are the things that you would apply in especially long range engagements. Far more in depth training regarding ballistics and environmental factors that affect long range ballistics, as well as the use and maintenance of magnifying optics (manual rangefinding and such). In other words, pretty near all of Chapter 3 of US Army Field Manual 23-10 (as well as a few other bits and pieces regarding marksmanship and equipment).

Most of the problems I have with these very generalized classifications comes from the other direction. While assault rifle training would cover most of the bases, other training may not cover the first thing about the judicious use of automatic fire, close range engagement, or long range engagement. To me, a "Rifle" skill would have very little to do with close range engagement and six pounds of dick to do with automatic fire (battle rifles would use the "Assault Rifles" skill). A "Shotgun" skill would have absolutely nothing to do with long range engagement and only under very specialized circumstances, automatic fire.

The use of automatic fire is not rocket science, but it takes some getting used to in order to keep yourself from using it excessively and in situations that don't call for it, which is probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 85% of all ground combat situations. Case in point: Vietnam. The whole reason why the M16A2 was limited to 3-round burst fire. A mechanical solution to a simple lack of training. When people "go Rambo", they don't tend to hit a god damn thing they meant to. When they control themselves, autofire can get very nasty. Of course combat in SR, especially full autofire, tends to be ruthlessly efficient, so that hardly matters from the point of view of application in the game... Bah.

Bit of a left turn here...

I guess what I'm getting at is that the application dictates the skill used rather than the "weapon class". A person could use a slug-loaded shotgun with the "Rifle" skill without penalty. Or a submachine gun with the "Assault Rifle" skill. Or vice versa, so long as they weren't attempting to engage anything beyond 200m. So something like...

Pistols (Automatic)
Shotguns (Automatic)
Submachine Guns
Assault Rifles
Rifles (Long Range)
Machine Guns
Launch Weapons

Basically the only thing that would change from canon is how defaulting works.

That low, eh?  Maybe I just overestimate my shooting skill.  I suppose my limited experience is the culprit here.  I suppose when I think about these skills, I develop a sort of "range mentality".  Here is the idea.  I can take somone who's never fired a firearm in their life, then spend a few weeks with them on the range shooting an M-16, then after that, if they aren't complete idiots, they can pick up a 12-guage pump action, 30-06 bolt action, or .308 semi-auto and once the learn how it feeds, they should have the same ability to knock down targets as they did with the M-16. At the very least, that's how it's worked for me.

Yeah, but the minute they try to knock something over at (gee... that black speck? what is that? it's pretty far out there... how far is that?) with only iron sights or a red dot, they're going to run into trouble. Different skills and equipment.

If you come at it from the other direction, teaching them on a range with the .30-06 bolt or .308 first, then you send them into a stressful, close quarters environment with an assault rifle, they're likely to end up blazing away, with target discipline turning to shit in about a minute and a half, shooting in the general direction of things they didn't have the skills to identify first because everything is happening so fast.

Indeed.  And they are all very valid.  Apparenlty my experience is severely limited when it comes to the skillsets applicable to different firearms.

Well, I don't know how limited your experience is. You seem to be coming at it from the opposite direction of me. My experience with automatic firearms is sadly limited, but I have made it my business to learn how to operate with them, even if what I have is limited to semi-auto. And I do tend to hunt a bit, so there's that...

But what I'm getting really rusty at, what with not really having the opportunity to sit down and play SR anymore, is how to apply the things I've learned to the game in a practical, useful manner. I do tend to overanalyze these things, obviously. So in that respect, I'm as big of a dumbass as anyone else.
Austere Emancipator
As I've said before in threads like this, thank goodness Dumpshock isn't filled by MDs, or we'd have 9 skills where we now have Biotech. wink.gif
TheOneRonin
QUOTE (Raygun)

Generally, what you would learn during assault rifle training would probably represent the best all-around firearms skill for a shadowrunner to have, as it covers close range and medium range engagement as well as automatic fire. That should make it relatively easy to default to similar tasks with different firearms, such as  submachine guns and general rifle.

About the only things that appear to me to be left out in assault rifle training are the things that you would apply in especially long range engagements. Far more in depth training regarding ballistics and environmental factors that affect long range ballistics, as well as the use and maintenance of magnifying optics (manual rangefinding and such). In other words, pretty near all of Chapter 3 of US Army Field Manual 23-10 (as well as a few other bits and pieces regarding marksmanship and equipment).

Ahhhh...VERY good point. The only time I ever engaged targets out past about 300M was on the M-60 range. And of course, long range rifle shooting has about as much in common with machinegunning as apples have in common with buicks.

Most of the problems I have with these very generalized classifications comes from the other direction. While assault rifle training would cover most of the bases, other training may not cover the first thing about the judicious use of automatic fire, close range engagement, or long range engagement. To me, a "Rifle" skill would have very little to do with close range engagement and six pounds of dick to do with automatic fire (battle rifles would use the "Assault Rifles" skill). A "Shotgun" skill would have absolutely nothing to do with long range engagement and only under very specialized circumstances, automatic fire.

The use of automatic fire is not rocket science, but it takes some getting used to in order to keep yourself from using it excessively and in situations that don't call for it, which is probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 85% of all ground combat situations. Case in point: Vietnam. The whole reason why the M16A2 was limited to 3-round burst fire. A mechanical solution to a simple lack of training. When people "go Rambo", they don't tend to hit a god damn thing they meant to. When they control themselves, autofire can get very nasty. Of course combat in SR, especially full autofire, tends to be ruthlessly efficient, so that hardly matters from the point of view of application in the game... Bah.

"6 pounds of dick..." That is priceless! I gotta add that to my vocabulary.

The rest of the above is spot on. You better be careful...if you continue being right, people are gonna start expecting that of you all the time. wink.gif

Bit of a left turn here...

I guess what I'm getting at is that the application dictates the skill used rather than the "weapon class". A person could use a slug-loaded shotgun with the "Rifle" skill without penalty. Or a submachine gun with the "Assault Rifle" skill. Or vice versa, so long as they weren't attempting to engage anything beyond 200m. So something like...

Pistols (Automatic)
Shotguns (Automatic)
Submachine Guns
Assault Rifles
Rifles (Long Range)
Machine Guns
Launch Weapons

Basically the only thing that would change from canon is how defaulting works.

I think you can compress those skills a bit more, and maybe come from an application standpoint rather than a weapon class standpoint.

How about:
Format = Skill (Specializations)

CQB (Pistols, Shoulder Fired, Automatic fire)
Shotguns (Automatic Fire, Shot Rounds)
Riflecraft (Specific Weapon)
Launch Weapons
Gunnery (Machine Guns, Specific Weapon System)

Basically, CQB would incompass pretty much all uses of your handguns, close quarter and short range uses of Shotguns/Carbines/SMGs/Assault Rifles/Battle Rifles, and automatic fire from said weapon systems.

Shotguns would cover...well...shotguns being used in CQB and just about any other circumstance under which one would use a shotgun. Little bit of overlap here, but that is to be expected, I suppose. Also, you learn how to better engage targets using various types of shot ammunition.

Riflecraft will include all of your medium and long range, single shot, target engagement. This is the skill you would use when trying to hit that corporate sentry from 400 meters away with your 6.8 SPC Assault Rifle. A good rule of thumb here is engaging any target that is so far away as to appear smaller than your weapon's front sisight post will require the use of this skill.

Launch Weapons...duh.

Gunnery apparently means something different for me than it does to anyone else. Here are the practical experiences I have with what I consider would fall under Gunnery:

Suppressive fire/group target engagement w/M-60 from prone or on tripod.
Suppressive fire/target enegagement w/M2 .50 cal from Hummvee turret.
Suppressive fire/target enegagement w/Mk 19 40mm grenade launcher.
Suppressive fire/target enegagement w/25mm main gun on Bradley IFV.
Suppressive fire/target enegagement w/7.62mm coax on Bradley IFV.

While all slightly different weapon systems, they we pretty much all used the same way, at least the way I was trained.

You know what? To hell with this. It's too complicated and requires too much input from the GM. Why do I always try to make things so complicated???

Yeah, but the minute they try to knock something over at (gee... that black speck? what is that? it's pretty far out there... how far is that?) with only iron sights or a red dot, they're going to run into trouble. Different skills and equipment.

If you come at it from the other direction, teaching them on a range with the .30-06 bolt or .308 first, then you send them into a stressful, close quarters environment with an assault rifle, they're likely to end up blazing away, with target discipline turning to shit in about a minute and a half, shooting in the general direction of things  they didn't have the skills to identify first because everything is happening so fast.

Indeed. So how do we better represent that in SR?

Well, I don't know how limited your experience is. You seem to be coming at it from the opposite direction of me. My experience with automatic firearms is sadly limited, but I have made it my business to learn how to operate with them, even if what I have is limited to semi-auto. And I do tend to hunt a bit, so there's that...

But what I'm getting really rusty at, what with not really having the opportunity to sit down and play SR anymore, is how to apply the things I've learned to the game in a practical, useful manner. I do tend to overanalyze these things, obviously. So in that respect, I'm as big of a dumbass as anyone else.

Yeah...there is something to be said for familiaty with rules and actual game flow. Still, maybe someone will get inspired by this mish-mash of info and put it all into a concise, simple game mechanic. Kage, you up for that? wink.gif
TheOneRonin
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
As I've said before in threads like this, thank goodness Dumpshock isn't filled by MDs, or we'd have 9 skills where we now have Biotech. wink.gif

Killjoy. nyahnyah.gif
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (TheOneRonin)
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)

Killjoy. nyahnyah.gif

Heh. One *does* wonder how Firearms managed to become like two dozen different skills, yet Computers or Biotech still remain basically single skills (with that *weird* nonsensical differentiation between Electronics, Electronics B/R and Computer B/R). smile.gif
Modesitt
Heh. One *does* wonder how Firearms managed to become like two dozen different skills, yet Computers or Biotech still remain basically single skills (with that *weird* nonsensical differentiation between Electronics, Electronics B/R and Computer B/R). smile.gif

I think Computer belongs as one skill. It's not all that often that you find someone that can only, for example, admin a server and nothing else. I've found that people who are good at one aspect of computers tend to have a solid knowledge of all aspects.

Biotech is one skill because it is used, in typical SR games, for exactly ONE reason and that is first aid. I'll also note that if you read the medical rules in SR closely, you get the hint that they intended for you to take specialties(In various types of surgeries) and that you needed them to perform certain operations. This was never made very clear and honestly everyone ignores this.

---

If you want few skills

The default assumption in SR is that you are specialized in one aspect of a skill(Obviously, skills would need to ALL be broad skills for this to work). You are considered to be defaulting(Or just some TN mod, the point is that you aren't as good outside of your specialty) any time you do something outside of this UNLESS you buy a speciality. Thereafter, you can instead opt to roll your specialty ranks for that for no TN mod. Also, you'd start off by buying new specialties at a rank equal to your original skill. If you want to JUST be good at one thing, you can do the specialty rules as usual or something. I'm really tired and just rambling ATM.

The idea here is that instead of having Rifles, Shotguns, and Assault Rifles, you'd have Long Arms(6) and say your initial skill is in assault rifles. Then you'd later decide "I want to wield shotguns effectively too", so you'd pick up a specialty in shotguns at specialization costs.

I think I'm getting my point across. You start off specialized, then you choose to take more specialties. Got it? We'd probably merge some skills, maybe lower karma costs some across the board.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Modesitt @ Jun 9 2005, 11:18 AM)
I think Computer belongs as one skill.  It's not all that often that you find someone that can only, for example, admin a server and nothing else.  I've found that people who are good at one aspect of computers tend to have a solid knowledge of all aspects.

I disagree. I know power users who can't program to save their lives. I know sysadmins who don't know how to program their way out of a box in anything but scripting languages. I know programmers/CS professors whose explanation for why they put an unsecured wireless access point in their office when being questioned because someone had used it to anonymously distribute hacked software was "I didn't think anyone would do anything like that". I know people who sling assembly who don't necessarily recognize the sudo command on sight.

There's a lot to computers, and while proficiency in one area generally translates into basic competency most other places, it doesn't necessarily translate into anything like proficiency.

~J
Shadow
I like the idea of dividing it by application but I think that would be impractical. You could do this.

Small Arms (anything from Pistols to Assualt Rifles)
Long Arms (Hunting and Sniper Rifles)
Heavy Weapons (LMG's etc)
Launch Weapons (rockets, AT4's, TOW's, Grenade Launchers, etc)

Then each one could use standard specialazation as it is now.

Small Arms/Ares Pred
Long Arms/M-1
Heavy Weapons/Are Valiant

Yoan
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
I disagree. I know power users who can't program to save their lives. I know sysadmins who don't know how to program their way out of a box in anything but scripting languages. I know programmers/CS professors whose explanation for why they put an unsecured wireless access point in their office when being questioned because someone had used it to anonymously distribute hacked software was "I didn't think anyone would do anything that". I know people who sling assembly who don't necessarily recognize the sudo command on sight.

There's a lot to computers, and while proficiency in one area generally translates into basic competency most other places, it doesn't necessarily translate into anything like proficiency.

~J

Indeed. Ask me about protocols, no matter how obscure... and I know it. Networking is in me. Ask me to program, though, and... well, you're on your own. I dabble in Python & Perl, but... I hate coding. Networking, and securing those networks, has always been my only "Skill". Is this a specialization, or is it how most people work?
Shadow
I think it is how most people work. For instance I am a trouble shooter. I can find and Identify problems with software and hardware in a heartbeat. But I can't program and I have a limited knowledge of scripting.
Dawnshadow
Not sure I agree.

Admittedly I'm not immensely good at most things, but I've got an understanding of a broad area of computing. Mostly software, some hardware. Moderate networking, database management, lots of programming and scripting. They aren't all equal, but they're all there.

The thing is, that's all from memory. Give me my reference materials? Whole other ball game.

To my mind, any of the 'technical' skills make sense as broad skills. General ones mean knowing what reference to grab and can use it appropriately, specializations mean you don't even need the reference anymore. I wouldn't want to jump back into networking without grabbing a reference to double check things, for instance, but programming (language dependent)? Different matter entirely.

I don't know about firearms or how it would apply to them though -- although I expect it would be similar to a large degree. A lot of similar principles spread across groups of weapons, different enough to matter (ie/specialization is reasonable) but similar enough that there's no impedement to using them (No penalty to using whatever skill applies to handguns on any handgun).
TheOneRonin
Well, I happen to be one of those oddballs who did a stint with the Army (Mech Inf) for a while, and left to become an IT guy. Now I do sysadmin work. So I have a pretty unique perspective on these skill sets.

For one, I agree with Kage. I'm a good sysadmin, and I know hardware and OSs, but I'm not worth a shit at programming. Login scripts is about my limit there. I also don't know much about DB, and can barely fumble my way through using Access. A good buddy of mine is a web developer and programs in VB, C (and various iterations of) Java, and .Net, but needed my help to setup a simple wireless network in his house. Basically a skill like Network Administration has "6 pounds of dick™" to do with Programming. I think here you have a clear cut case of a normal skill defaulting to an attribute.

However, when it comes to firearms, things are quite a bit different, at least IMHO. Here's a good example. When I was in Infantry School, most of my "shooting" training was with an M-16A2. Shadowrun classifies this as an Assault rifle. Not long after getting to my unit, we went out to the range and some MPs were out there shooting their MP5/40s. They happened to be gracious enough to let me squeeze off a few rounds. Shadowrun classifies an MP5/40 as a Submachine Gun. It took me all of half a magazine to be able to consistantly put lead on target with the MP5, though I had never fired/trained with one, nor even touched one before that day.

Like the discussion Raygun and I were having, quite a few weapons, when used in a certain way, all use the same skill. If I'm doing MOUT, and just about all the targets I engage are closer than 100m, then it doesn't matter if I'm using an M-16, M4, G36, MP5, or AK-47. All it would take is a few minutes of familiarization and a few rounds fired.

I think that a lot of people have general knowledge in their chosen profession. However, I think that general knowledge is best reflected in defaulting from a specialization to a general skill. And I like the idea of having multiple specializations inside of a single skill. Maybe we should make general skills much more expensive to purchase/improve, and specializations much cheaper. That way if you want points in more than one spec, it's cheaper to do that than just increasing the base skill.
DrJest
Pardon me skipping this back to damage codes:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but have I correctly interpreted the comments from our various firearms experts to mean: the primary difference in real terms between a heavy pistol round and a rifle round is that the rifle penetrates better?

If that's the case, then instead of messing with damage codes, would it not perhaps be more logical to apply an armour modifier, much like the old APDS ammo does?

So you would have all Heavy Pistols and Assault Rifles (by which I exclude 7.62 weapons) running at 7M-9M, but the AR's reduce ballistic armour by X. Even if X=1, that's a perceptible advantage, although from what I hear X=2 might be better.
Critias
Well, the "power" half of a damage code has pretty much just always meant "penetrates better" (in my mind, at least). I'd rather see modifications made to that, than modifications made to armor itself (IE, why change armor when it's really power you're out to influence, and you can change power instead?).
Kagetenshi
The problem is it doesn't really mean that, or rather not just that. Compare a bullet to a 5µm needle of some unidentified substance traveling at 10% of c. Penetrates most things, but barring wake effects it isn't going to be difficult to resist meaningful harm from it at all.

~J
Critias
Which is where the other half of the damage code comes in. Light base damage isn't fantastically scary, because shot placement then becomes terribly important. And, well, if the shot was placed well, I could see aforementioned needle pretty easily ruining my day.
DrJest
Well, the "power" half of a damage code has pretty much just always meant "penetrates better" (in my mind, at least)

I'd disagree, at least partially. To me it means "harder to resist". My point was that since the opinion seemed to be that an assault rifle and a heavy pistol would be similarly effective against an unarmoured opponent but that the rifle would shine against an armoured one, that the difference might be better reflected by armour reduction (for which there is a precedent, albeit only the one I think) than by amendments to the power or damage level.
Yoan
QUOTE (Critias @ Jun 9 2005, 02:33 PM)
Well, the "power" half of a damage code has pretty much just always meant "penetrates better" (in my mind, at least).  I'd rather see modifications made to that, than modifications made to armor itself (IE, why change armor when it's really power you're out to influence, and you can change power instead?).

Seconded. My system has 'Heavy' Pistols at 7-9M, with Assault Rifles at 9-12M. They deal roughly the same wound in the end, but Assault Rifles both have higher armour penetration, AND much better range.

Edit: And, of course, an Assault Rifle at 9-12M deals more damage in Burst/Full Auto; just talking about single rounds, here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012