Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Big Picture
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Thanos007
You're asking yourself why is this thread here? Isn't there another thread just like this? No. This isn't about the rules. This is about why there has to be an SR4.

I don't think I'd be suprising any one by saying SR's sales have been way down since FASA's hay day. There are many reasons for this. Most of them have to do with changes in the RPG industry and gaming in general. I think if you look at the data over the years you will find several things that have to be done for an RPG to survive. You have to release, on a some what regular schedule, game world info books that explain some facet of the game world in greater detail. These may also include additional rule or just be fluff.

You also, from time to time, issue a new edition. This is especially nessasary if your game is suffering from rules blote. This is useful for two reasons. It allows important additional rules (like falling) that are not included in the main rule book to be moved there as well as general reorginisation. It also serves as advertising. It generates "buzz".

Show of hands. How many of you newer additions to these boards thought when FASA went under SR was dead? I know I did. I could always find it at Walden's. Then I one day I couldn't. The local game store didn't have any books and I was told FASA went out of business. Oh well. It was a good game. I bet there are a lot of people out there who still think SR is dead. Or worse. Wizkids abortion of an idea, SR duels probably didn't help SR's standing in the gaming community.

Look at what is going on this summer. There are a potential 5, Count 'em 5, source books coming out. There is a new addition. There will be novels late this year early next. Wizkids wants to make some money on this. If this latest push doesn't jump start the franchise then it's game over.

Thanos
Kagetenshi
How many of you newer additions to these boards thought when FASA went under SR was dead? I know I did.

Actually, I only learned that SR was still alive when FASA went under and the rights changed hands. Nonetheless, most people probably made the assumption you speak of.
Wizkids abortion of an idea, SR duels probably didn't help SR's standing in the gaming community.

Now, now. Don't start fights unless you want to finish them.
If this latest push doesn't jump start the franchise then it's game over.

There's a difference between "not making as much money as desired" and "losing money".

~J
Raskolnikov
From what I saw, the Shadowrun Duels went pretty much under the radar of anyone who was not already familiar with Shadowrun. So I don't think it "hurt" the image of Shadowrun.
Nerbert
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
There's a difference between "not making as much money as desired" and "losing money".

Thats only true if the amount of money desired is greater then the amount of money needed to survive.

The Shadowrun franchise is dying. P&P RPGs are a niche market as it is. Cyberpunk isn't popular anymore, and the fantasy setting is dominated by d20. Even if you do get someone interested in Shadowrun, they sit down in front of the book and what have they got? Imagine trying to play with 6 people who've never played it before. Can you imagine this? It takes four hours for a new person to make a character. Four hours, consistently.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Nerbert)
The Shadowrun franchise is dying.

proof.gif

~J

Postscript: note that I'm not opposed to SR4 in principle. I think a well-done new edition would be wonderful. Positive change still isn't necessary change, though.
Backgammon

It takes four hours for a new person to make a character. Four hours, consistently.

Since the avowed goal of SR4 is to streamline and make rules simple, they are trying to fix that very problem (which may have been what you were saying, I'm not sure).
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Nerbert @ May 30 2005, 06:20 PM)
The Shadowrun franchise is dying.  P&P RPGs are a niche market as it is.  Cyberpunk isn't popular anymore, and the fantasy setting is dominated by d20.  Even if you do get someone interested in Shadowrun, they sit down in front of the book and what have they got?

And so within the stated claim of keeping the setting relatively intact, how is the SR4 that we know of so far going to make anything better?

Even if it's easier to make a PC, what is it about SR4 that it's such a necessity to revive interest in a game which incorporates aspects of a dead or dying genre (CP) and fantasy done exclusively by bigger, more well-known, more widely-played games?

How does SR4 fix that?
mfb
i'm not opposed to SR4. i'm very much in favor of SR4. i'm also very much against what i've seen of this SR4.
Hasagwan
QUOTE (Nerbert)
Even if you do get someone interested in Shadowrun, they sit down in front of the book and what have they got? Imagine trying to play with 6 people who've never played it before. Can you imagine this? It takes four hours for a new person to make a character. Four hours, consistently.

Not really. If you go bare bones for the new people (i.e. the priority system and just the stuff in the main book) you can get it all done in under an hour. The hard part is sharing the main book grinbig.gif
Critias
I'm all for a new edition. Just not, y'know, the new edition containing any of the changes they've told us about.
SirBedevere
QUOTE (Critias)
I'm all for a new edition.  Just not, y'know, the new edition containing any of the changes they've told us about.

Likewise.
Shadow
QUOTE (Nerbert @ May 30 2005, 04:20 PM)
The Shadowrun franchise is dying.

This is blatantly untrue. Fanpro freelancers have said time and time again that the latest source books have sold quite well and that Shadowrun is doing very good. They have said that SR4 is a move to secure future fans as old ones retire. It is not financially necessary now but would be in 5 years, so they are doing it now.

Learn the facts before you make such bold and false statement. This just really pisses me off. Let me clarify.

SHADOWRUN IS NOT DYING IT IS DOING WELL, AND SELLING GOOD. This is strait from Synner, and Adam, and everyone else that has chimed in.
hobgoblin
i dont know why but i dont see cyberpunk as a dying genre, much rather its mutating into something other then 80's style cyberpunk. basicly its going back to the roots of its name, people that use technology made by the system to mess up the system. but this is happening while at the same time droping the 80's themes. this hopefully will make cyberpunk ageless.

so cyberpunk isnt dying, rather its blending into the background.

cyberpunk from talsorian is getting a rewrite as we speak, there are cyberpunk books out for D20 (wotc is even coming with a new cyberpunk themed book that extends on their d20modern/d20future combo). guardians of order have a cyberpunk book based on tri-stat out.
Taki
QUOTE (Hasagwan)
QUOTE (Nerbert @ May 31 2005, 09:20 AM)
Even if you do get someone interested in Shadowrun, they sit down in front of the book and what have they got?  Imagine trying to play with 6 people who've never played it before.  Can you imagine this?  It takes four hours for a new person to make a character.  Four hours, consistently.

Not really. If you go bare bones for the new people (i.e. the priority system and just the stuff in the main book) you can get it all done in under an hour. The hard part is sharing the main book grinbig.gif

... To create a character (not the first one but A for nuyen.gif ), it took me more than 4 hours to do the contacts (consistents, not just type), more than 4 hours to make sure the whole equipement - or almost- is bought, less than one hour for the rest.

There should be pack in equipement to avoid spending so much time to spend nuyen.gif
Equipement is VERY diverisfied in SR, it is a very good point - and a flaw when thinking about all the very bases is so long.
Ed Simons
QUOTE (Thanos007)
If this latest push doesn't jump start the franchise then it's game over.

Buy SR4 or the game you've played will be gone forever?

There are many people who believe that with the creation of SR4, the game they have played will be gone forever anyway, so why spend the money?

I personally am not opposed to the concept of a new edition of Shadowrun; but what I'm looking for is an edition that fixes the problems of SR3 (Encumbrance, vehicles, etc.)

So far, the fragmentary information about SR4 merely addresses change. It does not address any of the problems with SR3. Maybe they've fixed SR3's problems, but if they have, why aren't they saying so?

All they're talking about is change, change in areas the fans haven't asked for. All this gives the impression that the designers either don't know or don't care what the existing fans of the game want.

Which is encouraging me to spend my money elsewhere or not at all.
Jrayjoker
So far, the fragmentary information about SR4 merely addresses change. It does not address any of the problems with SR3. Maybe they've fixed SR3's problems, but if they have, why aren't they saying so?

All they're talking about is change, change in areas the fans haven't asked for. All this gives the impression that the designers either don't know or don't care what the existing fans of the game want.

I disagree. The last FAQ specifically talked about what, in the developers' minds, was in need of repair/overhaul in SR3. Specifically it addressed the need to change the magic system.

Now, whether you agree with the need for change, how the argument was presented, or with what was said is secondary to the fact that it was said. And fans have specifically pointed out the difficulties in the magic system.
Eldritch
It takes four hours for a new person to make a character. Four hours, consistently.

Thats what the archtypes are for - the newbies. Just toss one down in front of them and get playing. Once the like the game, then go over PC creation.

I still maintaint that there are better ways to refresh the game, get new players, and maintain the old players than what they are doing. What they are doing now is a grasp for straws - they are hoping to trade off some of us oldtimers for a few more new players. I've help support this game for over 15 years - and what do I get? Crapped on. "Eff you old guy! We've got your money, deal with it.!"

I've completely opposed SR4 since the announcement. I think some of the ideas they want to introduce are okay, but nothing that needs a whole new addition.

And the more that they tell us about the more I grow to dislike the changes they are making - it's an all new game. Will it be Shadowrun? We'll see I guess.

Critias
Seriously. All of a sudden this week people are coming out of the woodwork and claiming it takes them four hours to make a character (or four hours just for contacts, and another four for gear, and another four for...) -- well, if it takes you that freakin' long, play an Archetype, instead. Get to know the rules and the system and the creation process a little better. I can whip up a character inside an hour, using either official method (points or priorities); it's not hard, it shouldn't take nine hours, it's just something you've got to do to get better at (just like running combat, allocating tactical pools, understanding the variable TN system, etc).

Nerbert
The only reason I brought up character creations was to point out how inacessible the game is to new people playing without a veteran. Sure, play as archetypes, except isn't the point of a RolePlaying game to have a customized impact on the world you're playing in? To play your own role?

That group of six newbies I mentioned, that was me and my gaming group. I told them "It will take you four hours to make a character, would you like to play an archetype instead?" none of them did so. We played through one simple story covering the Magic and Combat rules. By the end, there was no interest to continue. Everyone enjoyed the game and decided that becoming adept with the system would take far too much work for everyone involved.

Too much work, to play a game.

There are two ways of looking at SR4. You can step back, look on the bright side, and try to have a positive attitude about how the game is going to work. Or you can get upset and scream and gnash your teeth. Either way, a new edition is coming, its necessary for the industry and there's nothing you can do to stop or change it.
Gambitt
I agree with you Thanos.
Ive said similar things in threads before. SR3 just is too big, bloated and outright daunting for attracting new players in my opinion. SR4 just was the only way to push the franchise.
Im not saying it will be good or bad, im just saying it really was the only way forward. People can say that SR3 sells well, and that the company are just making SR4 to make more money and thats fine... but they are a company not a charity, and more money means more products and hopefully content and success. People dissagree with this, but hey why didnt a consortium of passionate gamers buy the franchise and do it their way. If SR4 fails really badly and goes bust im sure people may get a chance to do such a thing, but i do think its harsh to accuse a company of trying to make their business a success.
Also my first SR3 char took about 4 hours, that was with a GM who knew the game and 4 players who didnt. I really cant see a group of players who have noone whos ever played it before finding it remotely easy.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Nerbert)
its necessary for the industry

You keep saying that, but it isn't getting any more true.

~J
Eldritch
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Nerbert @ May 31 2005, 01:01 PM)
its necessary for the industry

You keep saying that, but it isn't getting any more true.

~J

Agreed - whole heartedly.

I got my Friest SR book as soon as 1st editional was available. I sat down figrured the basics for the rules. Next gameing session I passed out archtypes, we played. By the end of the night everyone had me place an order for the rulebook. (I worked at a shop at the time) Next game session everyone had their own characters. That simple. Not wanting to play ready made archtyoes to get introduced to a game, is well, snobbish.

I don't hold it against the companies to want to make money - I just don't care for their methods. It has become an industry standard to re-release rule books every so many years in a new edition, so the fans will buy more. Why is this the standard? $$. Not just money for the games sake, but money for greeds sake - at the expense of the fans. No, they don't have to buy it - but the companies know they will. Lemmings lined up to buy the next 'great edition' of their favorite game.

Go through your game collection and see how much repeated materiel you own. If you've been gamine fior any length of time, then you have some. yeah they change some of the stats, tweak a mechanic. But most of the books are rehash, copy and paste.

Jrayjoker
I think it is safe to say that SR4 is not merely a rehash now.

Love it or hate it, it is coming, and it doesn't make SR3 disappear. The great thing is the flavor test can (not necessarily will, but can) generally stay the same. So you can (probably) integrate the new timeline into SR3. Gear and effects...not so much.
Nerbert
I think Thanos007 summed it all up pretty accurately in his opening post. This is capitalism, growth and survival are synonyms.
Eldritch
You're asking yourself why is this thread here? Isn't there another thread just like this? No. This isn't about the rules. This is about why there has to be an SR4.

I don't think I'd be suprising any one by saying SR's sales have been way down since FASA's hay day. There are many reasons for this. Most of them have to do with changes in the RPG industry and gaming in general. I think if you look at the data over the years you will find several things that have to be done for an RPG to survive. You have to release, on a some what regular schedule, game world info books that explain some facet of the game world in greater detail. These may also include additional rule or just be fluff.

This paragraph? Wheres he getting his info? I was under the same impression myself, but have been repeated told by people on the inside that that is just not true. 'Shadowrun continues to do well. Sales are great.' That's pretty much all I've heard - and I've asked. I've also searched for RPG book sales information, market share data, etc, and not found it. Nor has anyone around here been able to point out any sources. If Thanos has a source, please share.

You also, from time to time, issue a new edition. This is especially nessasary if your game is suffering from rules blote. This is useful for two reasons. It allows important additional rules (like falling) that are not included in the main rule book to be moved there as well as general reorginisation. It also serves as advertising. It generates "buzz".

Wrong, you do not need a new edition. 2nd printing? Sure, not nearly as invasive to the existiing fanbase. And far easier to execute.

Show of hands. How many of you newer additions to these boards thought when FASA went under SR was dead? I know I did. I could always find it at Walden's. Then I one day I couldn't. The local game store didn't have any books and I was told FASA went out of business. Oh well. It was a good game. I bet there are a lot of people out there who still think SR is dead. Or worse. Wizkids abortion of an idea, SR duels probably didn't help SR's standing in the gaming community.

*hands down* I'd heard that Fasa was closing and assumed that SR would end. I kept up with the SR page updates and they announced the line was picked up. Yay us.

Look at what is going on this summer. There are a potential 5, Count 'em 5, source books coming out. There is a new addition. There will be novels late this year early next. Wizkids wants to make some money on this. If this latest push doesn't jump start the franchise then it's game over'

Yeah, they are taking a huge risk here. An untried system, that so far has yet to impress. Even a lot of the 'Yay SR4' crowd has become leery.

SR whas doing fine in it's little nich. There are a lot of things they couldb'e done to try and get more fans without risking their current base. Big gamble for them. We'll see how it goes
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Thanos007)

Look at what is going on this summer. There are a potential 5, Count 'em 5, source books coming out. There is a new addition. There will be novels late this year early next. Wizkids wants to make some money on this. If this latest push doesn't jump start the franchise then it's game over.

Thanos

Which is why they chose to announce the new edition in a way that seems to have done nothing but alienate and enrage their existing customer body.

What you said may be true, but that dosen't mean that what has happened is good in any conventional sense of the term. In a larger company, some heads at the marketing department would roll if the department managed to actually succeed in not just failing to stir up excitement, but in *engraging* the customer body.
Ol' Scratch
...but in *engraging* the customer body.

Major Correction: "...but in *enraging* some of the customer body, which is often the case no matter what, so in the end it doesn't really matter."

I, for one, am at most disappointed by the new dice mechanic (or at least what's been shown of it), but I'm absolutely thrilled that they're doing a fourth edition. I just hope they do it right, and for the most part it sounds like they're at least trying to do so.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Nerbert)
The only reason I brought up character creations was to point out how inacessible the game is to new people playing without a veteran. Sure, play as archetypes, except isn't the point of a RolePlaying game to have a customized impact on the world you're playing in? To play your own role?

Actually, I thought it was to rack up a body count against enemies which are controlled by a human and not a computer, so the taste of victory is all the sweeter.

To intercept the question "what about multiplayer FPS games", I answer that pen and paper RPGs are better for when you feel more like playing numerical strategy, and computer multiplayer is more for when it's for personal skill against personal skill. They both have their places.
Jrayjoker
Not to stir up trouble, but what percentage of SR fanbase actually posts here, or even pays attention to the devblog?

Sure we're vocal and opinionated, we're on the internet. But we aren't the only population interested in SR. I'm not arrogant enough to assume my opinion alone matters to FanPro at all. Collectively we get a vote probably. Some of us may even know the developers and have an inside track, but the developers have to look at the big picture, too.
Shadow
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
Not to stir up trouble, but what percentage of SR fanbase actually posts here, or even pays attention to the devblog?

Sure we're vocal and opinionated, we're on the internet. But we aren't the only population interested in SR. I'm not arrogant enough to assume my opinion alone matters to FanPro at all. Collectively we get a vote probably. Some of us may even know the developers and have an inside track, but the developers have to look at the big picture, too.

The freelancers argued quite clearly (with me I might add) when SR4 was announced that the DSF forums did not represent any percentage of the SR fanbase and could not be considered as any kind of fanbase.

I think they told themselves that so they could safely ignore our criticism. I belive the opposite. That DSF is a core group of the most die hard fans, and our suggestions have been listened to, not ignored.

SR4 is not a revision, it is a whole new system. (Just thought i would throw that in there.)
Nerbert
There's a big difference between being a "core group of die hard fans", and being a fanbase.
Eldritch
QUOTE (Nerbert)
There's a big difference between being a "core group of die hard fans", and being a fanbase.

And I don't think anyione ever said DS was the fan base - Cross section, die hard, And fanatical, yeah - but no the fan base.
Jrayjoker
There are, what, about 150 relatively active posters each week? 15-20 here all day everyday?

That ain't money, that's a drop in the bucket.
Samoth
QUOTE (Shadow)

SR4 is not a revision, it is a whole new system.

As someone who hasn't played SR in probably 3 years (and hasn't visited this board in about a year) I was happily surprised to hear about SR4. I had a lot of issues with SR3, which eventually led to stopping playing it, which is a decision i wish I could take back. I'm hoping SR4 will make the rules easier to deal with, and also reduce powergaming possibilities.
BitBasher
QUOTE (Samoth)
QUOTE (Shadow @ May 31 2005, 08:13 PM)

SR4 is not a revision, it is a whole new system.

As someone who hasn't played SR in probably 3 years (and hasn't visited this board in about a year) I was happily surprised to hear about SR4. I had a lot of issues with SR3, which eventually led to stopping playing it, which is a decision i wish I could take back. I'm hoping SR4 will make the rules easier to deal with, and also reduce powergaming possibilities.

And as an added bonus, with all the streamlining it could also eliminate some gaming possibilities! biggrin.gif Like Strategy... wink.gif

But we won't know for sure until we see it. biggrin.gif
Synner
Okay, I’m going to break my self-imposed silence on this board, one last time because this debate seems slightly more balanced and reasonably focused and far less rabid than some of the others.

Please note that what follows is my opinion and thoughts drawn from numerous discussions with freelancers, retailers, players, industry people on forums and chats and that this by no means should be considered either official or even representative of FanPro’s own views.

Those of you who have corrected Thanos regarding the fact that several freelancers (myself included) have indicated SR is selling well and that recent books have been consistently selling up are correct, but you are looking at the short term. However, as it’s also been said several times on Dumpshock and elsewhere, today’s RPG sales are a shadow of what they were in their heyday. Make no mistake, this extends to FanPro and Shadowrun. Part of it does have to do with the Shadowrun is dead phenomena that followed the end of FASA but for the most part it now has to do with the general state of the market. Though sales have continually grown, they’re still below what they were a decade ago.

Then there’s another problem that’s starting to crop up – a growing trend is for people to buy SR (and other RPG) books to read rather than play. In games like SR with its complex ongoing metaplots and hugely detailed setting this is particularly noticable. Another current trend that you wouldn’t have seen ten years ago is for increasing numbers of players, rather than GMs, to buy sourcebooks/setting books (rather than their "Ultimate Character Class rule/option book"). There’s a lot of reasons for this type of development but the most commonly cited are lack of time and availability amongst gaming groups to maintain a regular scheduled game coupled with an overall maturing of the gaming community (and all that hitting 30 entails) which has different priorities. A recent computer game industry survey surprised pundits by revealing that average console game player age isn’t the expected 18, but rather 27! Anyone care to guess where that places the average age for a pen and paper RPGer?

Which brings us to the other major problem facing SR (and a lot of other games too). While the aging of the average pen and paper RPG player could mean more young professionals with some cash to spend on hobbies, what it does mean for sure is priorities change, people get jobs, they have a lot less time and a lot more responsibilities, and all of this gets in the way of gaming – and people are retiring from the hobby. The problem follows that even though more people are actually buying books (and sales are rising), the overall gaming population is diminishing because new blood isn’t coming in as fast as we’re bleeding veterans. Note this isn’t an SR problem but rather an industry problem. We've got an aging population and the new generation is getting harder and harder to draw in.

This doesn’t mean that the industry is moribund (believe it or not, WotC recently announced they are selling about double what they were before 3e and the D&D market has never been so numerous) , but it does pose unique problems to companies like FanPro (or SJG or GOO or Dreampod 9 et al). Given the fact that they’re small players in a niche market (several retailers confirm WotC and WW together claim above 75% of the overall traditional tabletop RPG market) these companies can’t afford to be the ones investing in “outreach” marketing to bring new people into the hobby. Unfortunately economics dictate that’s in the hands of the big boys and it’s one of the reasons many industry people think D20 despite it all was a boon. So what can these companies do to thrive and remain viable? Well, barring an unexpected hit movie or video game, they have to go for the existing gaming community. They have to find a way of bringing people over from other games, talk relapsed players into coming back, convincing people unsatisfied with SR3 to give it another try and overall market the game to RPG aficionados - this is no small order.

Anyway what does all this mean for FanPro and SR3? Well, it means the game as it currently stood was a viable commercial product for another 4-5 years unless something was done to (i) bring relapsed gamers back, (ii) spike interest among the gamer community, (iii) poach players from other games who have shown an interest in SR in the past, (iv) draw a maturing player based weaned on AD&D3.5 and WoD (v) while overcome these people’s perception of the complexity of the current rule system, (vi) and while (hopefully) keeping enough of Shadowrun to maintain a significant portion of its current fanbase. If you can attract this new blood (from the existing community rather than from outside the game community) then SR might be viable in the long term – and the atmosphere and setting which have always been one of SR’s greatest assets would clinch it.

Whether we agree or not that the system is overly obscure for newbs, whether it takes 4 hours to make a character or not, whether we think that SR3 is the best thing since sliced cheese or not, the indisputable fact is the people calling the shots at FanPro made this decision and it couldn’t possibly have been an easy one. This is a tough moment for the industry (any industry) and we’re probably all agreed this is a big gamble. While bad decisions are made all the time in the business world, these days no one can afford to take risks without a very good reason. Consider this is FanPro’s livelihood and they wouldn’t have taken such a big risk if they didn’t believe it was necessary. Think about that. Consider the implications before rendering judgment that this is is a money grabbing scheme as some have stated. Consider what would prompt such a decision and make them take the decisions they’ve done rather than others.

People have asked why so drastic changes? Why not an SR3R? Well, the simplest (but also the most incomplete and unsatisfying) answer IMHO is that if the system wasn’t deeply revised it would find it difficult to accomplish those goals.

I submit that anything but a major revision—starting from the ground up but keeping the essentials—wouldn’t be enough. Were gamers who were turned off by SR2-3 to open the Basic Concepts chapter of SR4 and find a revised version of same things they found wanting previously they wouldn’t bother to pick it up (yes, long time fans would love it, but people wouldn’t come back if the changes weren’t sufficiently deep). Dabblers and gamers coming from other systems, willing to try SR4 out, would find it easier to pick up a streamlined system which uses the same basic mechanic for everything rather than SR3’s Frankenstein model (no matter how much you love the beast). Keeping the continuity of the setting (and rest assured we are keeping it) but giving people a clean slate by jumping to 2070 allows for a jumping on point for newbs without all the baggage we veterans all bring to our 206x games (Dunkle-who? Who’s this Fuchi guy people keep talking about? What the hell has all this to do with Earthdawn?)

Once you arrive at the conclusion (right or wrong) that an upgrade and revision isn’t going to carry the game through the next decade, then a new edition with a new core system is the only way to go. The trick is developing a system that is easier and faster to play, unifies the underlying mechanics of a dozen different game systems, offers just as many options (btw - streamlining can mean simplifying systems rather than reducing options), addresses structural problems that have been around since SR1 and plays off all the strengths Shadowrun has. Whether that SR4 is capable of doing that is besides the point. The need to do it is what I’m trying to address.

Once you accept that a major overhaul is indeed a necessity, it becomes obvious that certain problems (even some we rarely acknowledged) could be addressed differently free from the shackles of development continuity and (dare I say it) legacy systems.

For instance people ask where was the need to overhaul magic since it was one of the SR3 systems that worked better overall? Well, for one it was originally designed to be binary. And it has remained so through out all 3 editions. Traditions and mystical beliefs were shoehorned and bastardized into the Hermetic and Shamanic mechanics - even when that’s not how those traditions were portrayed in the fiction. Take a look at how MitS shoehorns a dozen completely distinct mystical and religious traditions into Hermetic magic (and its inherent game elements: elementals, ritual circles, etc) and just as many into Shamanic (witness the Catholic shaman debates)? Consider the acrobatics we had to do with Paganist/Norse magicians (in SOTA64) and the Idols to make them work when by all rights they should be equal traditions (or so goes the fiction)! And this wouldn’t be too bad (well, actually it would) if right off the bat they hadn’t broken with their own guideline with London (Druids), Germany (Idols) and Tir Na nOg (Path of the Wheel) where things started to stray and alternatives were spliced in. The inconsistencies and variants have been around since the Grimoires skewed things with the introduction of Voudoun and Psionics. But what the hell is it with Toxic spirits being toxic elementals rather than toxic nature spirits? And why Spirits of the Elements at all? Don’t get me wrong, I like all the different traditions and yes, it all seems to work. Yes, it gives certain traditions a distinct feel. Yes, it's not that harder to master once you know the rules. But is it good design, balanced and easy to learn? No.

Like the recent FAQ says SR4 hopes to address this lingering problem, just like it hopes to address the much more blatant decker issues and the rigger issues. Whether it succeeds is something else entirely.

It’s rather late here, so i'm sorry if parts don't make sense and I'm rambling. This is waaaay too oversimplified an explanation even for my taste, but I hope it at least gives some of you food for thought. Good night and see you all around.
Eldritch
Thanks for coming out of the cave!

I duuno, you've offered a lot of data - but if D&D is selling 3 times what they were a few years ago, how does that equate to a shrinking market? - seems like a market shift. But I could see a shrinking in the market - loosing to the Computer/console games - after all, they are much easier to learn. And kids justdon't have the patience to learn a rpg when they could sit dwon infornt of a screen and start playing right away - with full color graphics to boot!

My kids have been playing console games for years - and they just can't wait to get into rpgs - dunno if thats the case everyhere, or if my kids are just weird.

Baldurs gate and KOTR are both based heavyily on the d20 engine, my kids are completely familar with exps, feats, levels, and all that - they'll be ready to play soon, with little work on learning the rules. Maybe SR needs a good game smile.gif

And with that thought in mind, a question for anyone on the inside; Was Shadowrun D20 discussed at all?
Lady Anaka
First, D&D sales do not equate to the small RPG market. There are tons and tons of D&D players who never look at anything else and are even only marginally aware that other RPGs exist. They game on the side, as a hobby, and remain uninvolved with the industry as a whole. They may not even have a core hobby/game store that they frequent, instead shopping in Barnes and Noble or Borders or Amazon.com. The brand and the company behind it have enough of a reach that they can get to that market. FanPro at this time does not -- and may not ever, realistically speaking.

As for Shadowrun d20, it's a proposition fraught with peril and increasingly small returns. At the beginning of the D20 boom? Yes, it likely would have gone like gangbusters. It would also have required a retooling of the freelancer base, and would certainly have alienated, if I may hazard a guess, even more of the existing fanbase than are unhappy with the SR4 info currently. It would also have required some serious rules inventiveness -- and FanPro is just not a d20 company.

Shadowrun d20 now? It would almost certainly take a loss. The market for d20 product has largely gone bust -- distributors, retailers and even customers simply aren't interested in taking any more chances on untested d20 product, and if they don't order it and stock it, the retailers don't sell it. The d20 third-party market is rapidly shrinking (which it needed to, honestly), and distributors are far more excited about seeing system and line diversity in their inventory than they have been for years. SR4 generates excitement among distributors and retailers, whereas SRd20 would quite likely have problems even getting on the shelves. While the potential customer market may be larger, the competition is actually far heavier and the hurdles within the industry itself right now could be crippling.

Nerbert
Synner brings up a lot of good points. But one of the one that really grabbed my attention also ties into the massive rules controversy.

Once you accept that a major overhaul is indeed a necessity, it becomes obvious that certain problems (even some we rarely acknowledged) could be addressed differently free from the shackles of development continuity and (dare I say it) legacy systems.

By changing fundamental aspects of the game, you make it possible for all of the other systems in the game to gel together. I think a lot of the complaints about things being more complicated, things being dumbed down, are made from the perspective of assumptions that simply aren't valid anymore.
Samoth
QUOTE (BitBasher)

And as an added bonus, with all the streamlining it could also eliminate some gaming possibilities! biggrin.gif Like Strategy... wink.gif

But we won't know for sure until we see it. biggrin.gif

We'll see. I played from 93 until 2002 or so pretty regularly and always had problems with even the "simplest" rules (combat, magic, etc.) I'm all for making the core rules easier, and I personally feel that a revamp is a great idea because the recent sourcebooks haven't added much of anything as far as revolutinizing the game world is concerned. Time will tell how SR4 pans out, but I for one welcome what I hope will be a easier to implement game system.
Fortune
I just want the Magic system to represent the same feel as the one that first drew me to Shadowrun. Using Magic has a fair price in Drain, but with careful harnessing, you could minimize the cost.

I dread seeing the new Drain mechanic for SR4! Willpower+Magic/+1 Threshold per DL (or even worse, per box)?? I can't wrap my head around where the mechanics are going. I wish that the Powers-That-Be (looking at you Rob!) would be more forthcoming with some real juicy bits. The teasers are just plain annoying.

I was very excited about the idea of SR4. The more I see though, the more it looks as if the whole heart of the mechanics has been abandoned, as far as tactical choice and give-and-take are concerned.

In my opinion, a system with a variable 'dice pool'/variable TN is a lot more versatile and logical than a variable 'dice pool'/fixed TN. The loss of Tactical Pools is disturbing. As is the little information I have about the vaguely aloof Edge Attribute.

To be fair, on the plus side, I like the idea of a unified mechanic (even of I don't think the SR4 system would be my ideal choice). Extra Attributes are fine, as is the idea of purchasing Magic in a new format. A unified Magic tradition creation system is a good idea, and removes a lot of unnecessary complications.

I'm still on the fence as far as the WMI is concerned.

As a whole though, I think that the basic 'feel' of the game will change, and not for the better. As some others say, I think it will be 'dumbed down' for ease of consumption, but in the process losing the very things that are what made Shadowrun so attractive to me in the first place.

I'm sad! frown.gif
Shadow
QUOTE (Nerbert @ May 31 2005, 05:09 PM)
By changing fundamental aspects of the game, you make it possible for all of the other systems in the game to gel together.  I think a lot of the complaints about things being more complicated, things being dumbed down, are made from the perspective of assumptions that simply aren't valid anymore.

Why would you say that? You have the same information I have. Looking only at the FAQs it is easy to assume their intention is to stream line the game. But what it sounds like there doing is dumbing it down and changing fundamental aspects of the game so that it will no longer resemble Shadowrun.

You obviously don't like SR3 and are eager to see a new edition. Great. But lets look at the FAQs. The information they have released is crap at best. At worst it is a blatant flip off to the current fans. SR3 needs help, it is not the best system. But a lot of people feel that could have been addressed with a revised, not a whole new game which is what SR4 is.

Everything has changed, it is not a expansion of SR3. PArt of the communities ire comes from the Devs and the Freelancers insisting (when the announcement came out) that it was in fact a revision. It wasn't until two weeks afte it was incredibly obvious that it wasn't that they admitted it was in fact a whole new game.

Now lets add on to it some play testers and Dev's negative comments about the game. Things like "I don't really like that either" or "I argued against that change but was over ridden". Wow that inspiring.

Now lets talk about the reason for SR4. SR3 products are selling better than Fanpro has ever done. They are doing very well. Right now there is no need for a new edition. However, Fanpro has said that in 5 years their player base will start to retire and they don't feel the current game can draw in fans.

So our opinion is one they don't want (unless your 12). They want the onion of the hordes of unwashed D20 and Vampire players. They don't want a realistic, complex system that you need ot be mature to play (or at least more mature than the average idiot). They want hack and slash.

So this is there target audience, so why would I believe that Fanpro is going to make a simple, elegant game that allows for complex play?

Shadowrun dies with SR3. Whatever the new game is, whatever Fanpro chooses to put on the cover of their new books it will not be Shadowrun. George Lucas can call his new films Star Wars but we all know the truth.
Nerbert
QUOTE (Shadow @ May 31 2005, 09:04 PM)
QUOTE (Nerbert @ May 31 2005, 05:09 PM)
By changing fundamental aspects of the game, you make it possible for all of the other systems in the game to gel together.  I think a lot of the complaints about things being more complicated, things being dumbed down, are made from the perspective of assumptions that simply aren't valid anymore.

Why would you say that? You have the same information I have. Looking only at the FAQs it is easy to assume their intention is to stream line the game. But what it sounds like there doing is dumbing it down and changing fundamental aspects of the game so that it will no longer resemble Shadowrun.

Your statement that they are dumbing the game down and that SR4 will no longer resemble Shadowrun is based off of the, wether you like to admit it or not, potentially invalid assumption that they cannot make the changes that they are without destroying certain things about the game. You, and many others on the boards, seem to be unable or unwilling to concieve of a universe in which you are wrong about this, even though you clearly do not have all of the information. Yes, you and I have both read the FAQs, we both have the same information, the difference is that you, and many others, are taking the most negative possible perspective of all of these changes.

Apparently, due to the Software Industry, the word revision has come to be defined as

QUOTE (www.dictionary.com)
<programming> A release of a piece of software which is not a major release or a bugfix, but only introduces small changes or new features.

This definition does not apply to this particular publication.

QUOTE (www.dictionary.com)
n 1: the act of revising or altering (involving reconsideration and modification)

Reconsideration and Modification. I'd like to lay that small, irrelevant matter of semantics to rest now, for all time.

QUOTE (Shadow)
Now lets talk about the reason for SR4. SR3 products are selling better than Fanpro has ever done. They are doing very well. Right now there is no need for a new edition. However, Fanpro has said that in 5 years their player base will start to retire and they don't feel the current game can draw in fans.

Are you completely blind to the necessities of running a business? You don't, under any circumstances, wait until your target audience has died or retired before you try to bring in new people. You need to expand, grow and gain new interest all the time, every day, just to survive as a viable business.

QUOTE (Shadow)
So our opinion is one they don't want (unless your 12). They want the onion of the hordes of unwashed D20 and Vampire players. They don't want a realistic, complex system that you need ot be mature to play (or at least more mature than the average idiot). They want hack and slash.

This statement is not only ignorant, but wildly offensive! d20 and Vampire players are "unwashed"? 12 year olds are Fanpro's target audience? Shadowrun on the other hand is "realistic" (psst, check the regular Shadowrun board for an acurate critique of SR's "realism"), "complex" (This is a good thing? Or did you mean "deep"?) and you have to be "more mature then the average idiot" in order to play. Pray tell, what is your "average idiot"? Because frankly, the level of maturity I've seen displayed by some of the people on this board has been, shall we say, under par.

QUOTE (Shadow)
So this is there target audience, so why would I believe that Fanpro is going to make a simple, elegant game that allows for complex play?

Because you don't have any say in the matter either way, so why would you waste energy being hideously negative about every single thing?
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Nerbert @ May 31 2005, 08:32 PM)
Your statement that they are dumbing the game down and that SR4 will no longer resemble Shadowrun is based off of the, wether you like to admit it or not, potentially invalid assumption that they cannot make the changes that they are without destroying certain things about the game.

They destroyed my CP and KP and all my other happy-fun dice pools, and replaced KP with an Attribute. That's not an assumption--That's a fact.

And perhaps it doesn't mean anything to you, but those two pools as they've existed for as long as I've played, are fundamentally Shadowrun, and fundamentally a core mechanic that has defined the micro-level storyline that is most important to me--my own. That is also a fact.

This... Shadowrun... The one Fanpro is calling Shadowrun, Fourth Edition... It's not Shadowrun. Not to me.

I also fail to see how making Hermeticism and Shamanism default and AFAIK exclusive Traditions in the core book will somehow fix this "legacy" problem of Traditions. No one put a gun to anyone's head and said that Theurgy had to be a subset of Hermeticism, and if they did then it was a conscious decision by the same people responsible for SR4. Great. And I fail to see how the new Traditions (Druid, Voudoun, Wujen, Path) are bad things.
Eldritch
And just where is everyone getting these facts concerning the current state of the gamining industry? If you have a source with hard facts and figures please share. If you are extrapolating based on articles, books on the shelf at your local gaming store and release schedules, then you are just taking out of your pie hole.

I've heard a lot of comments about the gaming industries current state - some positive, some negative. It seems to me, from my light skimming of some publisher sites, review sites, etc, theat the industry is doing fine. But I'm just talkin outta my pie hole without any source of figures.

The rules are changing. The setting is changing. These are both confirmed facts. with that much change you have to wonder if you are getting Shadowrun as we now know it, If not then you're going in a blind, happy lemming.

And most of us have not been 'hideously negatave about every single thing'. Yeah, I've been critical of the idea since the beginning, but I have admitted there are a few interesting things coming out of it. Though the more of the core mechanics that I see, the more I learn to dislike the idea for other reasons.
Ol' Scratch
... and fundamentally a core mechanic that has defined the micro-level storyline that is most important--mine.

That's pretty sad on your part then. I, personally, fail to see how going from one mechanic that does little more than represents added luck when you needed it to another one that accomplishes the exact same thing spontaneously negates the existance of every storyline you've been a part of, or affects the actual character in any way, shape, or form.

If you want to complain about anything related directly to storylines or characters, it should be about the skipping ahead of five years. *That* affects storylines, and that affects characters. Changing how a character's abilities are reflected from the gaming side of the table does little to either.
Hasagwan
I have to agree with Nerbert on Shadows post. A lot of what Shadow said is based on assumptions.

After reading what Synner and Lady have said, I can see why FanPro is doing things the way they are.

Think, can they implement the changes to the current system and achieve the goals that they want? Maybe.

Would those changes be radically altering the rules that we now have? Probably.

Would those changes probably draw the wrath of the players here at dumpshock? Probably.

Would the changes bring back the players that have already left the game because of rule bloat? Probably not.

Would the changes bring in new players who have heard of the current rules bloat? Probably not.

Would the changes bring in new players (the unwashed 12 year old D&D and Vampire players as you so uneloquently put it)? Maybe.

I think you (Shadow) need to take a step back and catch your breath and think about it not just from your point of view but from the others too.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ May 31 2005, 09:01 PM)
... and fundamentally a core mechanic that has defined the micro-level storyline that is most important--mine.

That's pretty sad on your part, then. I, personally, fail to see how going from one mechanic that does little more than represents added luck when you needed it to another one that accomplishes the exact same thing spontaneously negates the existance of every storyline you've been a part of, or affects the actual character in any way, shape, or form.

Oh, ouch. I die.

They do because they've been critical to my PCs being where they are, in many cases because without them they'd be dead.

I wonder if it ever occurred to Fanpro that it might have been the seven SR3 rulebooks plus the additional rules bloat in SR2 and 3 place and sourcebooks that killed off people's interest in SR.
Nerbert
QUOTE (CrimsonDude 2.0)
They destroyed my CP and KP and all my other happy-fun dice pools, and replaced KP with an Attribute. That's not an assumption--That's a fact.

True, they did do all those things. And its clear that you're very emtionally attached to them. However, you don't seem to willing conceive or speculate of a way in which the purposes that those things served in the game could be served by something else. Perhaps something better. Perhaps not. It seems to me that you, and many others, prefer to see them as gone, and all that they stood for gone with them.

Frankly, if we want to talk about maturity beyond the average idiot, instead of getting angry about the changes to your precious game, wait for the books to come out, buy them, support the company, read them, then ignore them and work on adopting what you like and adapting what you don't.

I know some of you have stated that you plan on doing this very thing. Kudos. The rest of you need to lighten up.
Ol' Scratch
They do because they've been critical to my PCs being where they are, in many cases because without them they'd be dead.

Amazing how you're able to figure that out when you have no idea whatsoever about how the mechanic works, or how it affects characters. Bravo on your completely ignorant assumptions and mind-numblingly asinine whining based on those assumptions! <wild applause>
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012