Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: a(nother) playtester's view of SR4
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Kagetenshi
Warhammer Fantasy Role-Playing, unless I miss my guess.

~J
Bigity
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay.

I'm not very familiar with CP aside from the Mr. Stud implant.
mmu1
QUOTE (Bigity)
The only RPG I know that keeps long-term lethality is WHFRP. You don't really get more wounds, being hit is completely dependent on the attacker's skill, and each damage roll has a 1 in 10 chance of exploding (Rule of 10 I guess for d10s). Most characters have around 15 wounds.

GURPS? Wounds don't go up either, at high levels (assuming you're not playing characters with superhuman advantages) the person who can feint better wins, and no matter how good you are, if you go up against three or more people who know what they're doing, you'll probably die.

I'm sure there are other examples...
Bigity
Never played GURPS, oddly enough. I thought that one had damage and megadamage, or am I thinking Palladium?
Shadow
Old school, Aliens: The Role Playing Game.

The front of the book tells you to roll up two characters so you can keep playing when the first one dies smile.gif
hermit
Sounds like that game has an even shorter character lifespan than CoC ...
Kagetenshi
Tsk, tsk, is everyone forgetting about Paranoia?

~J
hermit
*slaps head*

Okay, Kag, I did.

SHAME ON ME.

Though, with clones, you essentially could die three times, so a character could actually make it through a session that way. wink.gif
Req
QUOTE (hermit @ Jun 2 2005, 01:19 PM)
*slaps head*

Okay, Kag, I did.

SHAME ON ME.

Though, with clones, you essentially could die three times, so a character could actually make it through a session that way. wink.gif

Six times, to be precise.

That game is the second-best game ever. nyahnyah.gif

edi: third-best. There's a game called HOL - Human Occupied Landfill that's not really intended to be played, in which you can actually die during character creation. It's not that uncommon. And even if you survive, you have traits such as:

God decides to hold you personally responsible for the death of Jesus Christ. Roll 1d6 each day. 1-3: you die. 4-6: stigmata.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Jun 2 2005, 02:58 AM)
There's a lot of people around here lately that seem like they'd rather hate it and be right. I appreciate your intial post, and your updates, and especially the fact that you're still working to get it all as best as it can be instead of doomsaying like you could be. So thanks.

Like who?

I'm not referring to you if that's what you're asking. I just get the impression that a some people are ready to walk now. Although I guess if they still bother posting, they're still hoping. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's just the impression I get.
hermit
Six times? In any Paranoia game I have ever played, we got only three clones. I feel cheated!

third-best. There's a game called HOL - Human Occupied Landfill that's not really intended to be played, in which you can actually die during character creation. It's not that uncommon. And even if you survive, you have traits such as:

God decides to hold you personally responsible for the death of Jesus Christ. Roll 1d6 each day. 1-3: you die. 4-6: stigmata.

Now that is cool. You can die during chargen? HOW SO? Please post a short summary of chargen!
Adam
You can die during Traveller character generation too [the old life-path version.]
hermit
............... eh?

Uh ... how does that work? I guess the chargen background uses die roll tables like CP2020 (which netted me some really odd results when I did it once), but there are paths like "roll 1D10. 1-9: stuff happens. 10: you die. Repeat previous steps."

Makes me really wonder what the desginers were smoking.
Little Bill
QUOTE (Adam)
You can die during Traveller character generation too [the old life-path version.]

And more experienced Traveller characters don't get tougher (in fact, in the original system you hardly advanced at all).

Original Traveller had the first "life path" system, broken into four year "terms". Every term you had to make a survival roll or your character died before he ever entered play (a later optional rule was that he would only be seriously wounded and had to stop chargen and enter play at that point).

I can think of a dozen games off the top of my head where experienced characters don't get much tougher than the newbies.
Req
Six times? In any Paranoia game I have ever played, we got only three clones. I feel cheated!

You have been cheated, Citizen. The Computer, in its infinit wisdoms has provided all Citizens of Alpha Complex with five back-up copies.

Now that is cool. You can die during chargen? HOW SO? Please post a short summary of chargen!

Short short version (since this is the SR4 and not the HOL forum): lots of tables. Lots and lots of tables. Tables with exciting names such as "Really Bad Decisions," "Cornholed by God" (where my previous example came from), and "Almond Joy" (d6. 1-3: Feel Like A Nut (+1 to Nuts). 4-6: Don't.)

Many of these tables have death, dismemberment, or ending up with the surgically-attached voicebox of Gilbert Gottfried.

There is also one expansion book for this game, entitled 'Buttery Wholesomeness.' Buy them today.
hermit
You have been cheated, Citizen. The Computer, in its infinit wisdoms has provided all Citizens of Alpha Complex with five back-up copies.

*Waves fist and yells*

Short short version (since this is the SR4 and not the HOL forum): lots of tables. Lots and lots of tables. Tables with exciting names such as "Really Bad Decisions," "Cornholed by God" (where my previous example came from), and "Almond Joy" (d6. 1-3: Feel Like A Nut (+1 to Nuts). 4-6: Don't.)

Many of these tables have death, dismemberment, or ending up with the surgically-attached voicebox of Gilbert Gottfried.

There is also one expansion book for this game, entitled 'Buttery Wholesomeness.' Buy them today.

Awesomeness. biggrin.gif grinbig.gif
Dakhran the Dark
Ahh, HôL -- my favorite RPG I'll never get to play. It even beats out Tales from the Floating Vagabond as the most bizarre game in my collection... smile.gif

The most fatal character generation I've ever seen was GURPS Wild Cards, based on the Wild Cards anthologies. During character creation, you roll a D10 to determine how the Wild Card Virus affects you. 1-9, you draw Black Queen and die. 10, you roll again. 1-9, you draw Joker and mutate into a hideous freak with little or no power. Only on that second 10 do you draw Ace and have a super-hero. In effect, you end up with 90% character mortality and 9% useless feebs, with only a 1% chance of making it through chargen.
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (SirBedevere @ Jun 2 2005, 07:16 AM)
QUOTE (mfb @ Jun 2 2005, 03:38 AM)
many of the things which i'd thought were largely set in stone, he contends are in flux.

If the 'stuff' that is so important to make mfb unenthusiatic about SR4 is still in flux, what are the chances of the game being ready for GenCon?

good point. My fear/belief is that they are so desperate to hit THE event that they won't bother to correct them. given the choice between getting it right and hitting the date, they'll go for marketing over quality. Seems unfair of me? Well since I view the whole thing as a money grab by fanpro, I don't really care. When they say the system(3rd Ed) is fatally flawed but not how, and those of us who play it don't agree anyway, so they are already needing to convince me to spend my mnoey on their prodcut and they are making a mess of it.

I had been in the "probably buy the main book" camp but not any more. they more relaease info I read here ocnvinces me to keep my money in my pocket.
BitBasher
QUOTE (Dakhran the Dark)
Ahh, HôL -- my favorite RPG I'll never get to play. It even beats out Tales from the Floating Vagabond as the most bizarre game in my collection... smile.gif

I have, long ago, actually run a Hol game. We found out the game isn;t really meant to be played, as it's missing several key things. like a lot of .. rules.

TFTFB is fantastic too. I give mad props to any game with the skills:
Don't Point That At My Planet Gun
Make Soft Thing Scream and Bleed
Make Soft Thing Scream and Bleed With Panache

But I may be mixing the two games, I did them right about the same time.
Solstice
DOOM!! DOOM!! DOOM AND DESPAIR!! DOWN WITH SR4!!
Shadow
Lol Nice.

I miss tables in games. D&D has them, but more games should be like traveller. Character creation was an adventure unto itself!
Critias
QUOTE (BitBasher)
I have, long ago, actually run a Hol game. We found out the game isn;t really meant to be played, as it's missing several key things. like a lot of .. rules.

Yeah, but the sourcebook(s) are a heckuva lot of fun to read.
Cain
I had been in the "probably buy the main book" camp but not any more. they more relaease info I read here ocnvinces me to keep my money in my pocket.

I'm slowly joining you. I was going to hand $40 to someone I know who's going to GenCon; but now I think I'll wait for my FLGS to get a copy, then flip through it. I used to buy Shadowrun books sight unseen; this will be the first time I question the purchase.
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ Jun 2 2005, 11:29 AM)
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Jun 2 2005, 02:58 AM)
There's a lot of people around here lately that seem like they'd rather hate it and be right. I appreciate your intial post, and your updates, and especially the fact that you're still working to get it all as best as it can be instead of doomsaying like you could be. So thanks.

Like who?

I'm not referring to you if that's what you're asking. I just get the impression that a some people are ready to walk now. Although I guess if they still bother posting, they're still hoping. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's just the impression I get.

In May 1943 wing comander Guy Gibson lead a specially trained squadron of Lancaster bombers to breach the great hydroelectric dams of the Ruhre Valley. Each bomber could only carry a single bomb, designed to bounce along the tops of the waves, over antitorpedo defenses and lodge themselves against the base of the dams. Most planes left for home after dropping their bombs and seeing they had not breached the dam with it. After dropping his bomb, Gibson repeatedly flew over the dams, drawing german fire on to his plane and so drawing it away from the in coming bombers, giving them a better chance of getting their bombs into the sweet spot to blow the dam or maybe, combined with earlier bombs, reach critical mass to see the apparently imovable dams go.

It was made into a movie that so influenced a young man that in his great film, they later took the dialogue of the air attack directly into his movie
"How many guns do you see?"
"See about 20 guns. some of the ground some on the tower."

Gibson won the Victoria Cross for his actions, and against all possible hope the dams were indeed "busted."
Lady Anaka
Damn, I guess we should call our agents about typecasting. smile.gif
Birdy
QUOTE (hermit)
............... eh?

Uh ... how does that work? I guess the chargen background uses die roll tables like CP2020 (which netted me some really odd results when I did it once), but there are paths like "roll 1D10. 1-9: stuff happens. 10: you die. Repeat previous steps."

Makes me really wonder what the desginers were smoking.

@Traveller:

It's a bit more complicated:

+ You do 4 year terms (later versions split this in 1year assignments)
+ One possible result of the term resolution is "You die"
- The GM can read this as "You got badly hurt and mustered out"
- The longer you follow a carreer (The more skills you get) the more likely
you got killed. Served as a method to prevent superskilled methusalems
+ Existed only in the original (Little Black Book) version
+ Later editions made this "Automatical mustering out, GM can decide: You die)

@MegaDamage:

RIFTS! not GURPS. GURPS has a unified damage system that can result in 6Wx50 damage if hit by a 120mm Gaus Cannon

@No increasing hitpoints

+ The T20 version from QLI has a D20 variant with fixed hitpoints that works
quite well with modern settings and can be retro-fitted to D20 games

+ Cyberpunk, GURPS, Traveller, T20, Deadlands(Original), LUG-Trek all used
fixed hitpoints as does 7th Sea or StarWars D6

+ RIFTS use increasing HP but it doesn't matter (100HP => 1MD and a typical Laser rifle does 3D6MD per hit)

Birdy

Grinder
QUOTE (Birdy)
@MegaDamage:

RIFTS! not GURPS. GURPS has a unified damage system that can result in 6Wx50 damage if hit by a 120mm Gaus Cannon

Sounds reasonable wink.gif
frostPDP
Many props, MFB.

I'm still in the pessimist camp, based on stuff that's been released. That's not a "wait and see" camp, but its not "not buying." Its "Buying because he's an addict to the SR world and wants the updated source material if nothing else, as well as new ideas." If I like what I see and/or have to revamp it to add new things, no problem. If I don't, I'll have the book. I'm such a nerd that even if I don't particularly like SR4, if someone I know runs the game I'll be in.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012