Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: When the more isn't the merrier....
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
frostPDP
I know the feelin of "Hey, this is satire."

The problem is, with satire comes some degree of seriousness. Much as with the L.T., this also has some serious aspects.

I get the jokes and all, but the problem is many people I've known have used some of these justifications for dating jerks. Which is sad.

As for "ladder jumps," one of my closest friends is female. And yes, I would date her. I did, at one point. YEARS ago. But me, I'm fine - She's the type of girl I'm willing to wait for if she and I are compatable.
Johnnycache
QUOTE (frostPDP)

As for "ladder jumps," one of my closest friends is female. And yes, I would date her. I did, at one point. YEARS ago. But me, I'm fine - She's the type of girl I'm willing to wait for if she and I are compatable.

What does that have to do with me stance against the ladder theory?

I didn't say you would lose a female friend you hit on, I said it was a requisite gamble when you do so.
frostPDP
Err...It doesn't? I guess I was just talking. No worries.
Johnnycache
QUOTE (frostPDP)
Err...It doesn't? I guess I was just talking. No worries.

Oh, ok. biggrin.gif

I took it as a counterpoint.

I have an ex I remaind friends with for a while - she made some other choices that are keeping her at arms length from me, but that wasn't related to our decision to hook up or mine to break it off. . .
Lenice Hawk
Wow, several points to address.

First, the bunny trail on Hitler/Churchhill

Most of us have issues. Some are alcoholics. Some are OCD. Some of us eat or smoke for comfort. Alot are clinically depressed, have anxiety disorder, etc.
Churchill was an alcoholic who messed up earlier in his life.
His disease, or issue, or problem, was a part of him, but not his whole.

Hitler, is a bit of an opposite. He had good qualities, he had intelligent thoughts, but his problems, his hatred of the jews, became his whole.

He crossed the line of just having a problem, to his entire self being a problem. That is the difference between Hitler and Churchill

As for the ladder theory, my brief reading of it makes me think it is putting some stereotypes together and calling it a theory. Sure parts of it seem true, but stereotypes are based on trends. That's why they stick so darn well.

Finally, why do women stay with men who beat them? That's a complicated questions, but a brief answer is learned helplessness. Women initially stay because they love the man, or think they do, and they want to "help" him. But after awhile, they are emotionally beat down so much that it is very difficult to leave. The beatings become their reality. They begin to see themselves as deserving. Not until they reach some sort of crisis will they possibly be able to leave.

frostPDP
And this feeling of helplessness and need isn't what is addressed by the idea of a ladder discrepancy? No offense meant, but that's what it seems like to me. Even if it is just an illusory thing.

I've put up with crap from girls before, but after some point I drop it. But then again, I'm sure I do things they put up with and stick around.

No worries in that regard. Its just that we do assign people a certain ranking or something like that. If the person ranks highly, we sometimes go an extra mile.
Johnnycache
Not remotely. Most women who stay with abusers (and there is a degree of "fallacy of positive instances" here - the girls that pop a guy back, throw their crap in a bag and leave, and never see him again don't get a lot of publicity) have behavior patterns in play before they meet the abuser that cripple their ability to navigate an exploitive situation.

And as for ranking, every girl I pursue is a ten in my head. Only in the rare circumstances that I have to choose between to simultainous potential girls do I ever even really compare their relative merits.
frostPDP
Wow. I think we all pursue potential-10's.

But (keeping in mind my lack of self esteem) the highest girl I've ever gotten with looks (not is, but looks) to be an 8. Personalitywise, they also tend to rank 8's, since I never meet someone with a perfect personality.

What we rank people based on is a personal lens, however, so what I see as an 8 you might see as a 5, or 10. Of course, that's the nature of it - We all want different things.
Quix
My wife says:
The reason the girlfriend is attending the game with her boyfriend even though she is not participating and detracting from the game is because she probably feels theatened by the other female(s) in the game. There fore she is chaperoning her boyfriend and trying to sabotage the game to draw attention to herself.

If she really doesn't wan tto play and insists on coming anyway, sugest theat she find a quiet activity to do nearby, read a book, watch a movie, play on a computer, read Dumpshock, etc. My wife and I went through this sort of faze when we were first married. And after attending a few games and not disturbing the game she realized that this activity was not threat to our marriage. Now she only attends the game when the host has some movie or anime that she wants to watch.
Lady Door
QUOTE (Quix)
My wife says:
The reason the girlfriend is attending the game with her boyfriend even though she is not participating and detracting from the game is because she probably feels theatened by the other female(s) in the game. There fore she is chaperoning her boyfriend and trying to sabotage the game to draw attention to herself.

If she really doesn't wan tto play and insists on coming anyway, sugest theat she find a quiet activity to do nearby, read a book, watch a movie, play on a computer, read Dumpshock, etc. My wife and I went through this sort of faze when we were first married. And after attending a few games and not disturbing the game she realized that this activity was not threat to our marriage. Now she only attends the game when the host has some movie or anime that she wants to watch.

I would understand this as a reason if I wasn't the only other girl in the group and married to someone else in the group (Fist3.0) so, I'm not sure there's a jealousy issue unless it's just her being jealous of any time he spends away from her. A few members of the group have mentioned that they think it's because she feels the need to control him at all times, at all costs...which is most likely true. It's just annoying cause today was supposed to be the climatic ending to a run that we've been working on and he never showed cause she said no. ERGH! Anyway, thanks again for all the advice...and weird Churchill/Hitler/Ladder Theory tangents! smile.gif
FrostyNSO
We had this issue with one of our players. Just let them slip away. It's not worth your effort. If they want to have some shrew control their life, let them. Don't let his bitch ruin your night too.
frostPDP
Alright, if he dumped out of something pre-planned because she told him too, he needs a talking to.

I know my best pals. Most of them aren't purely gamers, even! But if they started letting a ho dictate their lives? I'd smack them. Literally. Just...WHAP.

You don't need to do this. As a friend, you should at least say "Hey look, the bitch is whipping you. Wake up." After that, its their call. I know because I've had girls try this one with me ("You don't have to game, do you?") And only serious issues will stop me from doing something I planned with my friends. If her mother is sick, okay, that's fine. If she is offering sex.....I'm a guy and I'm not enough of a jackass to say that's a good reason to dump a gaming session. If she just says no to say no? Psh, please.

So yeah, talk to him. Then let him choose. If he chooses to leave, so be it - At least your problem goes with him.
Johnnycache
QUOTE (frostPDP @ Jun 10 2005, 06:00 PM)
Wow.  I think we all pursue potential-10's.

But (keeping in mind my lack of self esteem) the highest girl I've ever gotten with looks (not is, but looks) to be an 8.  Personalitywise, they also tend to rank 8's, since I never meet someone with a perfect personality.

What we rank people based on is a personal lens, however, so what I see as an 8 you might see as a 5, or 10.  Of course, that's the nature of it - We all want different things.

What I mean is that I'm very binary. A girl either makes the cut or doesn't - I don't even fully understand the braid of myriad positive elements that makes me like a girl, but it's nothing so half formed as some sort of "hawtness scale" - when I said every girl I pursued seemed like a ten to me, I meant that if they were worth going after, they were so wholly - a girl with a better chest or a cuter face might exist, but she might walk right by me and not get a look. It's just the way I am.

As for the gamer girl being threatened by the other females, if she's got issues enough, she could be threatened by *anything* her man does that doesn't involve her somehow. There are girls like that - I've met them.
Vaevictis
Step 1: Pull guy aside and tell him she's taking away from the enjoyment of the game and ask him to talk to her.

wait some arbitrary amount of time...

Step 2: If that doesn't work, next time she's being annoying, tell her that her behavior is taking away from other people's enjoyment of the game, remind her that she chose to come, and to please adjust her behavior accordingly.

wait some arbitrary amount of time...

Step 3: Decide if the player in question is worth putting up with that wench's bitchy behavior.
Step 4a: If it is, sit down, shut up, and play.
Step 4b: If it's not, tell him not to bring her again, and that if he does and she's annoying again, she'll be "invited" to leave.
Step 5: If it's still a problem, kill his character in the most gruesome way imaginable, preferably one involving a bitchy self-centered pain in the arse whiny girlfriend. Do not let him make another.

Note that there may be intermediate steps where you repeat yourself and give second chances, but your level of tolerance may be greater than mine too wink.gif
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
QUOTE (Jrayjoker @ Jun 10 2005, 09:13 AM)

fistandantilus3.0,

Its not you Is it?

wink.gif

Doubt it, since Plan B's my wife
wink.gif

ROTFLMAO

rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif

I wish my wife were into gaming so she wouln't resent my time away as much.
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (Plan B)
Thanks so much for all the help! Just to clarify for those who asked; the player is 25 and the girlfriend is 17 (yes, I know, I know.) Anyway, we've tried talking to him but so far, no good. Todays' another session so we'll see how it goes.

PS: Can someone explain the "Ladder Theory" please?

I went through this with a friend. He was a whole big ball of issues in and of himself, so we weren't surprised. Having an off-duty police officer show up (a friend of a friend) when they were both around scared him enough to make him see the potential pitfalls of such a relationship for a while.
mrobviousjosh
QUOTE (Plan B)
QUOTE (Quix @ Jun 10 2005, 08:19 PM)
My wife says:

I would understand this as a reason if I wasn't the only other girl in the group and married to someone else in the group (Fist3.0) so, I'm not sure there's a jealousy issue unless it's just her being jealous of any time he spends away from her. A few members of the group have mentioned that they think it's because she feels the need to control him at all times, at all costs...which is most likely true. It's just annoying cause today was supposed to be the climatic ending to a run that we've been working on and he never showed cause she said no. ERGH! Anyway, thanks again for all the advice...and weird Churchill/Hitler/Ladder Theory tangents! smile.gif

Please tell me you played the climax without him. PLEASE!!! I understand how frustrating this can be, and btw it's nice to hear a woman's perspective every now and then on the subject, because I've played with guys who did one of two things when their g/f came: 1) Weren't in game consistently because of the distraction OR 2) grossed everyone out because little things became bigger, i.e. at one point the g/f was sucking on his forearm so he couldn't roll dice and he gave us this satisfied look like, "I can't do anything about it man." In either event, a common rule needs to be put in place before this occurs. If it's too late (as is the case here) use courtesy to ask the player and, if it continues, take a public vote. Think of it as roleplaying intervention. Most players will say things like, "we love gaming with you dude but when *insert g/f's name* comes to the sessions you get distracted and that throws the rest of us off. And, we know she's your girl but when you guys kiss at the table it breaks the seriousness of the game, etc." MAKE SURE this is done while she's gone and realize that the player in question may feel like you're "ganging up" against him but in the end, he'll realize that in a different situation it would mess with him too. Otherwise, you could always take a baseball bat to his kneecaps. Come to think of it, that may be more effective... grinbig.gif
fistandantilus4.0
Please tell me you played the climax without him. PLEASE!!!

we did. Didn't finish though. Still have a certain Tir noble to whac kactually. Wouldn't mind having him there for cannon fodder if nothing else. wink.gif

Seriosuly though, we've all jsut decided that she is no longer welcome unless she plays. We told her that once, and she showed up again, and refused to play. So that's that (hopefully).
Kesh
Given that the guy bailed out because his girlfriend said so, that he brings his GF to the game because she doesn't want him to be away from her, etc.

I say, tell him that his priorities are quite clear. He places her higher on the list than the gaming group (which is a good thing in a healthy relationship, a bad thing in a controlling/abusive one), and that means he should leave the group. After all, if he comes to the game instead of doing what she wants, it's inconsiderate of him. On the flipside, if he bails the game at the last moment because she wants him to do something else, that's also inconsiderate.

Just inform him that it's best for everyone if he leaves the group, since he already has a commitment to his girlfriend which obviously takes priority.
fistandantilus4.0
there are certain mitigating circumstances in this case, especially the other day. He was helping out her family with some stuff for heir business. I make a point of letting our players know that their family time comes first if that's what they want to do ( we have 3 kids our selves).

'Course that's not always the case either. And not all of our players agree with me either. we'll see
mmu1
The worst effects of exposure to DMSO include vomiting, diarrhea, and potentially corneal damage, liver and kidney damage and pulmonary edema.

It most certainly is toxic - just not very much so compared to some of the other crap you might find in a chemical or bio lab.

hermit
There are worse things in fries or steaks, though. And even ordinary salt can, in sufficiently large doses (as in, three spoons), kill you. The guy from Jackass survived only because he puked it all up again in a very short time. Bet he had the headache of his life, though, anyway.

DMSO, applied in small doses, is harmless. It is even in larger doses, since the worst-case symptoms don't include instant death or cancer. It's not toxic, it's irritating, at best.
Method
I would put it to him like this:

If you went to a movie with a friend and that friend brought a girl and all they did was talk through the movie you probably wouldn't go to movies with him anymore...

what he's doing is the same thing (only worse because SR is way cooler than some dumb movie) and he needs to be told strait out that he's ruining everyone else's enjoyment.

Please observe scilence during the motion picture or get the hell out...
Jrayjoker
A good analogy.

Plan B,

Any word on how this is panning out?
FrostyNSO
It's worse, because when you talk in a movie it doesn't distract the actors.
Method
DMSO is not all that toxic.

This MSDS (material saftey data sheet) published by a manufacturer my lab buys shit from even lists LD50s (that is leathal dose 50% or the amount needed to kill a test subject, usually a rat, 50% of the time).

You can see that the LD50 for skin exposure to DMSO is 40 g/kg of body weight. For an average human male of 70kg thats 2800 g. If we assume it weights the same as water or close to it thats like 2.5 liters of DMSO and remember that will only kill a dude 50% of the time...

So the tiny amount of DMSO you need to deliver a drug or poison is not going to matter one tick in the grand scheme of things.
hermit
DMSO is a tad lighter than water, like ethanol.
Method
well then you're talking 3+ liters.

and the 70kg is an under estimate somewhere between men [75-80] and women [60-65].

at any rate you would need to douse yourself in DMSO to kill yourself. which is not to say its safe or non-toxic....

just not nearly as toxic as thousands of other things we're exposed to everyday... sarcastic.gif
hermit
Like, say gasoline.
Lady Door
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
A good analogy.

Plan B,

Any word on how this is panning out?

Well, as of this writing we have no clue. The player in question has had his cell phone turned off and hasn't called us to let us know what is going on. We had our regularly scheduled game on Monday. It was supposed to be the grand finale to a run that had taken quite awhile and he wasn't there. We played without him, no one really seemed to mind and the game went really smoothly. There were a few jokes about how his girlfriend had him turn off his phone or change his number and then we went on our way. So I guess the situation finally resolved itself.
fistandantilus4.0
edit
Jrayjoker
Well, thats one way to resolve it. Is she not "letting" you guys talk to her boy? Has anyone called her parents or the cops yet?

fistandantilus4.0
dunno, haven't talked to them in a week or so.

He probably just hasn't payed the bill, but he hasn't made any other attempts at contacting us, which is too bad. Good guy, bad girl. He;s just allowed himself in to a bad position, and hasn't been able to do much about it .

On the bright side though, we pulled off the run without a hitch! Followed quicly by a second.

Kind of sad, but we're doing a bit better withou him (and I'm the character with the impulsive flaw!)

Edit: kind of amused that you guys care this much about our game. Thanks !
we'll let you know if anything else interesting happens (like we get a phone call looking for bail moeny, that sort of thing wink.gif )
Jrayjoker
Thanks for the update. I guess you guys are my soap opera...smile.gif

For some reason when somone posts a topic like this I like to know how it is resolved, even if it takes a while.
fistandantilus4.0
I know. Hey, what ever happened with that guy that posted the thread about being railroaded by his GM BTW? He said he'd get back to us....

His group probably sacrificed him to their Shadow Blood Spirit Master or something.....

oh yeah, I'll let you know when we have more drama (not if, when)
Jrayjoker
We're gamers, we have drama by definition.

In my group we have the divorced couple, the woman of which keeps hooking up the single guys with her coworkers. She is getting remarried to a pagan ju-jitzu instructer after a whirlwind romance (he's 23, she's 33).
fistandantilus4.0
HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!
Awesome!

I always love your posts JJ!
Lady Door
Ooooh. How... fun. smile.gif I just wish we could find out what's going on. Either that, or one of these days his character is going to be killed by a toilet seat falling from the sky.

*5 karma to anyone who knows where that reference is from*
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Plan B)

Well, if it isn't supposed to be from Boondock Saints, I want to know your answer.
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Jun 16 2005, 10:17 AM)
HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!
Awesome!

I always love your posts JJ!

Thanks, I aim to please. Even if it isn't constructive all the time.

I am here to have fun y'know. wink.gif.
Lady Door
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
QUOTE (Plan B)

Well, if it isn't supposed to be from Boondock Saints, I want to know your answer.

There was a show on HBO called Six Feet Under. It's from that.
Fortune
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Jun 11 2005, 12:33 AM)
I would just get a little squirt bottle of water, and every time she tries to distract the player, squirt her with it and say "that's a bad kitty!"

That is pretty much exactly what my first thought was as well. I would do it too! biggrin.gif

It's good to have you back Doc.
fistandantilus4.0
This is probably the most appropraite response, since her name is Kat. 5GK to the Doc
nick012000
QUOTE (Method)
well then you're talking 3+ liters.

and the 70kg is an under estimate somewhere between men [75-80] and women [60-65].

at any rate you would need to douse yourself in DMSO to kill yourself. which is not to say its safe or non-toxic....

just not nearly as toxic as thousands of other things we're exposed to everyday... sarcastic.gif

QUOTE (hermit @ Jun 14 2005, 05:01 PM )
Like, say gasoline.

What about DMSO+Gasoline?
hermit
What about DMSO+Gasoline?

Shadowtech was pretty close with it's description of what DMSO does. In other words, you better start saving for another liver, in case you live at all, that is.
Krazy
DMSO+gasoline, so that's how spontaneous human combustion works, I knew it had to be a government plot to conspicuously silence those who know too much. <wild paranoia> wink.gif
Jrayjoker
I am imagining a crop duster. One tank DMSO, one tank Gasoline.

Muahahahahahaha!

<<cough, cough>>

Sorry, [bump]

Anything happening in my soap opera recently?

C'mon, gimme something...
Johnnycache
QUOTE (Plan B)
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
QUOTE (Plan B)

There was a show on HBO called Six Feet Under. It's from that.

If by Six Feet Under, you mean Dead Like Me, then it's all good . . .
fistandantilus4.0
That was the one....
hilarious show
Lady Door
Eeek! You're right it was Dead Like Me. 5 Good Karma for you. Ergh. Anyway, just for JJ: An Update! We had our weekly session on Monday and alas no player. Why this means no players annoying girlfriend, either. It was still vaguely upsetting. We got a text message a few hours before playtime saying he wasn't coming that he had a job interview he had to go to. Then the next day he called and was talking to me about how he went shopping and he found all these cool art books and whatnot. I asked him how his job interview went and his first response was,"Huh?". It was upsetting. It's one thing to say you can't come, it's another entirely to start lying about it. Ergh. Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. On a side note, his girlfriend called us asking for our address. Methinks wedding invitations might be in the works. Of course, I could be wrong but ...

indifferent.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012