Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Monder why Fanpro might aim at teenager customers?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
tisoz
QUOTE (Nerbert)
Those of you who feel alienated, try to license the old SR3 system, change the name, and publish your own game. Band together and start a game company, try to make a difference in the world. Prove to Fanpro that they should have paid more attention to you.

I actually already considered this. However, Fanpro has the SR rpg license, not just the SR3 license. Why would they sell the SR3 license when that game would directly compete with their new baby?

If one wanted to start a game company using the old abandoned system and call it another name, why bother with the cost of obtaining a license? Go ahead and make the urgraded changes that need made, change the background a bit, make a few other changes to differentiate it enough to avoid lawsuits (like using D10), and go with it.
blakkie
Basic dice systems are not protected intellectual property. Anyone could write and sell a game based on d6 and variable TNs. Even reuse the initiative system as long as you rewrite all the instructions. However the game world background needs to change more than a "bit".

Oh, and though i'm no lawyer, i doubt you could advertise it as based off of SR3 rules. wink.gif
Ellery
QUOTE (Bull)
QUOTE (Ellery @ Jun 22 2005, 03:14 AM)
It's certainly possible for fans to rewrite all of the new material for SR4 into SR3ish rules, and to streamline the SR3ish rules too.  Basically, to do what FanPro could have, and arguably should have done, instead of bailing out of a tried and true mechanic because they couldn't generate the discipline to come up with a consistent way of applying the mechanic.

However, I think anyone considering such a project is fully entitled to bitch and whine.  They're doing the job that they pay the SR developers to do.  If we get the SR4 rules half off if we only use the setting half and not the rules half, then that's great--no whining!  Otherwise, the company has just dropped all future development of their (former) product, in favor of a new incompatible product.  If one doesn't whine about that, what should one whine about?

Wow. How do I even respond to this. I'll deal with your second paragraph first:

Fanpro does not work for you. They provide a purely optional service which you can purchase if you like.

Part of the service of a gaming company is to provide continuing products and expansions to the game world. That's expected. When a company fails to do so, they are producing a service which is inferior to the standard set by their competitors. If you're producing an inferior optional service, you'd better be clear about it. And if you suddenly change your service to be inferior, you'd better expect your customers who thought they were getting regular service to be upset. The method of expression of dissatisfaction is often characterized as "whining" or "bitching"--those are the terms you used, at least.

So my original point stands, in full.

Also, FanPro does work for me inasmuch as I pay them for gaming materials. I always buy all gaming materials that I use, new, rather than using other people's copies, copied PDFs, used copies, etc.. I generate maximum revenue for FanPro, and I do this intentionally because I want to support the development of a game that I enjoy.

QUOTE (Bull)
Now, for your first paragraph...  This has been said, been argued, been discussed, etc etc etc.  So here's the cliffs notes:

SR1 through SR3...Bandaids...Needed redone...Total Rewrite best way to accomplish...more sales...better game.

I'll end with this:  You haven't seen the game.  If when you do, you don't like it, don't buy it.

I certainly won't buy anything from you, if you display an attitude like that. But if I don't buy anything, it's pretty hard to convert it to SR3, now isn't it?

As for my conversion comments...  Umm...  Other than the core books (CC, MITS, M&M),most books are 95% fluff.  That doesn;t need converting.

Keep you game rocking with the 3rd ed books.  use the setting material from SR4.

Or...  you know...  Don't buy it.  Because in the end, buying or not buying is the only way to actually make your voice heard.

Right, you've said it exactly here. Other than the six core books (you forgot R3 and Matrix), with a purchase price of $150 or so, and which may well be necessary to use the setting material, the books are 95% fluff. Maybe they'll get it down to five core books in SR4.

I don't consider paying $130 for five books' worth of rules that I then have to convert myself before they're fun to be a good investment. And it's especially bad when paying $130 rewards FanPro just as much for producing a product I don't find fun as if they'd produced one I did find fun.

So, if it's a bad investment, I will not buy the books. But I'm going to do FanPro a favor and tell them in advance what kinds of things I like and dislike, so that they have the option of trying to make SR4 have more characteristics that I like. If they listen to such opinions from the people who will make up their potential fan base, and make changes accordingly, they'll sell more books, which is a win for them. If my changes are listened to, it's win for me. Sounds like a win-win situation on average.

QUOTE (Bull)
Bitching on a message board will get you nowhere.
If you say so. What is it that you are doing?

QUOTE (Bull @ Jun 22 2005 @ 11:40 PM)
At this point, I apologize and bow out, because I don;t have the time, the energy, or at this point the desire or concern to keep up the discussion. It's pointless and doesn;t really matter anyways
Looks like you figured it out.
Cheops
If people in the service industry, retail, or fast food acted the way that some of the people involved with FanPro are acting that particular company would have all sorts of complaints and the employee would likely be fired. At the place where I work we just put our new hires through 4 hours of customer service training to make sure that they knew how we wanted our customers to be treated and how we expected them to treat each other. If I caught one of my employees treating a customer like crap he/she would be gone.

So far I'd have to say FanPro needs some lessons in customer service and PR.
Ellery
It sounds to me like FanPro (at least the U.S. version) is a convenient fiction--a label by which to name the assorted freelancers producing SR materials, and a mechanism by which to pay them. It's not surprising that they don't have a customer service department if FanPro barely exists at all.

I think it's a mistake to interpret what playtesters or freelancers say as FanPro's customer service. They're just people, and people can be nice or grumpy, and FanPro doesn't have much say over that, given how it's structured. About as much as could happen is Rob saying, "Y'know, I wish you wouldn't do that on DS. And by the way, I need the revised draft of Chapter 3, how's it coming?"
chevalier_neon
To have a customer service, you need a customer. And to have a customer, you need a good/service. SR4 is not yet in the store, how can you complain about a product nobody knows anything about, and that doesn't exist ?!?
And I can understand that they don't want to disclose to much information before the release. Let them work, and we will judge the result. But in no way a customer has the right to criticize the strategy of a company, or in this case, he has to buy shares !
mfb
okay, you're playing the "you don't know anything about SR4, you can't comment on it" card. hm, looks like i've got a "the FAQs explain more than enough abour SR4 to make a fairly well-informed decision about the game" card in my hand. FAQs trump people who don't pay attention to them, i win this round. care to play again?

and, wait, "let them work"? i don't see anybody here stopping them.
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb @ Jun 24 2005, 11:05 AM)
okay, you're playing the "you don't know anything about SR4, you can't comment on it" card. hm, looks like i've got a "the FAQs explain more than enough abour SR4 to make a fairly well-informed decision about the game" card in my hand. FAQs trump people who don't pay attention to them, i win this round. care to play again?

Hehe. Ya, but hey you said:
i hate the basic design philosophy—not the one the devs say they're using, but the one they're actually using.

The FAQs have been fairly light on specifics, with more handwaving talk about design philosophy with a few examples. So you seem to call into question their accuracy? smile.gif I also suggest that there are a lot of things the FAQ does not tell us about the game. For example what exactly do Swordfish Mustardballs have to do with casting drain?

I generally agree though that saying we know "nothings" is patently not true. So you are awarded this set. Not after 4 straight aces, but after getting up 40-15 and then putting him away with a nice cross-court volley.
and, wait, "let them work"? i don't see anybody here stopping them.

I do see a few people calling for more and/or more detailed FAQs. Well not so much anymore. I also see more than a few people calling for a "hey, stop and listen to me and change which way you are going".
Eldritch
But in no way a customer has the right to criticize the strategy of a company, or in this case, he has to buy shares

Dude, where have you been living?? A customer has every right to criticize a company - every aspect of it.

We have the right to criticize Fanpro's 'marketing strategy' for SR4. We are Customers - and many of us have a great deal of money - and time - invested in their product.

I think that gives us the right to criticize.

And even if a brand new company came out - put a little pr on the streets advertising their new SwordFish - and we thought their PR was crap - we'd still have every right to call them and tell them their PR is crap. And if they got enough phone calls - they'd probably stop the pr, look at it and fix it, even if that meant pushing Swordfish's release back a few weeks. Bad Pr = Bad Sales.

And by no means does the Said company have top listen to the feed back of it's customers - existing or potential.

Yeah, Welcome to America.

Unfortunetly the only way you can speak out against SR4 is to not buy it - but that puts you in a crowd of judging without reading. Your only options are;

Sit down at your local friendly gaming shop and go over system specific sections. If you don't like the rules - don't buy it.

Only buy one copy for your group - let everyone go over it and judge it.

Wait for the PDF. PDF sales hurts Local stores, which hurts the distribution of the game. PDF is generally cheaper.

I'm really hoping that they put out a quick start/teaser flyer like some other game companies do. A free download that has the rules basics. That will help emmensly.
Adam
Repeat #8,492,491: There will be preview material released, just as we've been releasing previews for recent books like Loose Alliances; the SR4 previews will be more intensive, though.
chevalier_neon
Excuse me, that was not exactly my point. My point was (but as english is not my first language, I have some difficulties to find the accurate word) that you can't blame a customer service when this one doesn't exist, and cannot exist...
Then I won't discuss anymore the "we-don-t-know-enough-blablablabla" as nobody will change his mind. I guess we will have to wait for the release, and see who will have to apologize...
Eldritch

The FAQs have been fairly light on specifics, with more handwaving talk about design philosophy with a few examples. So you seem to call into question their accuracy? smile.gif I also suggest that there are a lot of things the FAQ does not tell us about the game. For example what exactly do Swordfish Mustardballs have to do with casting drain?

Psst - Blakkie - mfb is a playtester - he was the first to post a thread with his concerns for the future of the game. So yeah, he might hava a little more inside scoop.

Here
Eldritch
QUOTE (Adam)
Repeat #8,492,491: There will be preview material released, just as we've been releasing previews for recent books like Loose Alliances; the SR4 previews will be more intensive, though.

Sorry - I remebered you'd said that already after I hit send.

smile.gif

Any idea on an ETA? Pre Gen con? Post Gen Con?

Adam
Both. The schedule and presentation of the previews [which probably won't be limited to just "here's a few pages out of the book" -- there will be original content about things that relate to/use SR4.] has yet to be firmed up, but I hope to do that at Origins next week.
blakkie
QUOTE (Eldritch @ Jun 24 2005, 11:27 AM)

Psst - Blakkie - mfb is a playtester - he was the first to post a thread with his concerns for the future of the game. So yeah, he might hava a little more inside scoop.

Here

Psst - Eldrich - I am fully aware of this. That link points to the message i got my quote of him from. rotfl.gif embarrassed.gif So his suggestion that the FAQ gives a somewhat inaccurate or incomplete picture of where SR4 is going seems to have more credibity, no? smile.gif

Or do you mean he gets to comment about the rules himself more because he has seen drafts-to-date for the rules? Because he likely should be commenting less, but not because a lack of knowledge. wink.gif I do give him enough credit, mostly because i don't know him, to mostly filter out what can and could be fixed before SR4 is finalized from what isn't. But sometimes people can overlook that and not see the diamond in the rough.
SirBedevere
QUOTE (Adam)
Repeat #8,492,491....

You miscounted Adam, it's actually Repeat #8,472,491 biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
mfb
i've never intended to imply that the FAQs are inaccurate in any way. they are accurate, and provide a clear--if low-resolution--picture of the game.
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb @ Jun 24 2005, 03:26 PM)
i've never intended to imply that the FAQs are inaccurate in any way. they are accurate, and provide a clear--if low-resolution--picture of the game.

Incomplete picture then? smile.gif
mfb
"low-resolution" works better than "incomplete", though i guess that's just semantics. calling them incomplete makes it sound like they're hiding something.
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb @ Jun 24 2005, 03:35 PM)
"low-resolution" works better than "incomplete", though i guess that's just semantics. calling them incomplete makes it sound like they're hiding something.

I intentionally chose that word to convey that some significant portion of the design philosophy is hidden. But not nessasarily hidden intentionally or with malice.

i hate the basic design philosophy—not the one the devs say they're using, but the one they're actually using.

The FAQs give the various aspects of their design philosophy. I figured that counts as what they are saying. It seems clear you think there is a significant difference between what they are saying and what they are doing. Thus i assume that the FAQ is a flawed gauge for what they are doing. *shrug*
mfb
it's just semantics.
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb)
it's just semantics.

What is?
mfb
the last six posts. the point is, the FAQs are accurate, and provide a solid idea of what the game is like. yes, there are lots of details that aren't provided--that's because they're FAQs, and not in-depth dissertations. whether you call them "incomplete" or "low-rez" or "delicous honey-baked ham" really doesn't matter.
Nerbert
Its the blind men trying to describe an elephant. One of them has the trunk and says the elephant is a long, snake-like crature. Another one has the legs and says its like a tree. The last blind guy has the tail and thinks everyone is wrong, it must be as small as a mouse.

Everyone is wrong because no one has the complete picture. All the blind men have the same accurate information, but none of them have the context to put it all together.

One person looks at the FAQs and says that the game must be a great deal like WoD because the dice systems are the same. Another one thinks that it must not be very strategic because they took out the combat pool. Another person is adamant that it will be unbalanced because they changed the way attributes are used.

So far I think the only information we've got worth a diddly poop is what the various playtesters have said. And even that boils down to wether or not you agree with the play style of the various playtesters.
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb)
the last six posts. the point is, the FAQs are accurate, and provide a solid idea of what the game is like. yes, there are lots of details that aren't provided--that's because they're FAQs, and not in-depth dissertations. whether you call them "incomplete" or "low-rez" or "delicous honey-baked ham" really doesn't matter.

But didn't you mean the two different versions of the basic design philosophy (one we recieved via the FAQ, one that the developers are putting into practice?) are different enough that you hate one but not the other?

But now you say the FAQ is enough on it's own to form an opinion on where SR4 is heading?

Does not compute, needs more fruit.

I don't want to harp on a single sentence you wrote, but it seems kinda important to the issue. I'm just trying to reconcile those two statements with each other.
mfb
that sentence wasn't written in reference to the FAQ. the FAQ, as i've said, doesn't fill in all the details. that includes (or, well, partially disincludes) their philosophy, and it certainly includes (same, with emphasis) my interpretation of their philosophy.
Cheops
Customer service is not just selling a product and then handling after sales problems or complaints. Customer service is marketing a product, generating the hype, hopefully bolstering sales in the process, and handling customer reactions and complaints BEFORE releasing a product. FanPro (or whoever is in charge of SR these days I can't keep it straight) is engaged in customer service. It's called SHADOWRUN. Maybe people have heard of it? It is BRAND MANAGEMENT and is just as big a part of customer service as anything else. Eventhough SR4 isn't released yet they are providing customer service for us by managing the brand. Without customer service they would just keep churning out books without any marketing, brand management, PR, or anything like that. They would only be concerned with producing products.

From my viewpoint they are more concerned with pushing out product than providing customer service as I just explained it.

I work for a baseball team in the summers. Everything we do is engineered towards providing the best possible service to our customers. Ironically, the actual game itself almost becomes secondary to us. People are coming there to be entertained and we are so good at that that our team can lose 10-1 and we still have people telling us how much fun they had as they are leaving the stadium. That is customer service and it is more than just getting people in their seats and serving them beer and hotdogs. It is making people aware of our game days, making it easy for them to get to our games and purchase tickets, food, beer, souvenirs, etc, making them feel welcome and valued as customers and entertaining them with more than just the game.

Now imagine if, before next season, we told everyone that we were getting rid of beer at all our games. Many people would stop coming and we would hear no end to the bitching and complaints about the lack of beer at our games. It is within our rights as a firm to do so and within the rights of the consumers to stop coming. The bitching and complaining doesn't serve any purpose to us other than to SIGNAL THAT OUR CUSTOMERS ARE UNHAPPY WITH THE CHANGES AND WILL STOP GIVING US THEIR BUSINESS. If there is a significant percentage of customers who stop patronizing us then we will start losing money and stop being a going concern. If we are absolutely adamant about not having beer and want to keep our customers we have to do something to convince them to stay otherwise they leave. Or we could just let them have beer.

The people behind SR, in my opinion have decided to stop selling beer and our not giving adequate reassurances that I will be rewarded by still being their customer without being able to buy beer. They have said nothing to convince those of us negatively affected by the change to feel loyal or comfortable with the changes. In fact, there are several playtesters (in my example consider them to be like the beer sellers) and at least one developer (consider them to be like upper management) who disregard our concerns and/or deride us for daring to be upset with their decisions. This is a very stupid way of conducting business and poor customer service. SR is not big enough to dictate terms to its customers--no RPG is (excepting perhaps D&D but I doubt that). Firms that can dictate terms to customers are firms like Microsoft, P&G, J&J, Siemens, and GE to name a few. RPG companies and minor league baseball teams can't. They have to listen to their customers and provide good customer service.

This lesson in business is brought to you by Fuchi Exec-o-mat ™!
Ellery
Nicely stated. You make a persuasive argument.
FrostyNSO
What team do you work for? Is there a Dumpshock ticket discount?
El Ojitos
QUOTE (chevalier_neon)
I guess we will have to wait for the release, and see who will have to apologize...

Don't kid yourself. Noone will apologize. Everybody will be saying: "See, I told you so!"
blakkie
QUOTE (Cheops @ Jun 25 2005, 02:02 AM)
The people behind SR, in my opinion have decided to stop selling beer and our not giving adequate reassurances that I will be rewarded by still being their customer without being able to buy beer.  They have said nothing to convince those of us negatively affected by the change to feel loyal or comfortable with the changes.  In fact, there are several playtesters (in my example consider them to be like the beer sellers) and at least one developer (consider them to be like upper management) who disregard our concerns and/or deride us for daring to be upset with their decisions.

So tell me what you'd do Cheops if you noticed your attendance dropping slightly. You checked a little deeper and found that the average age of your patrons was rising quickly towards an upper age where didn't show up anymore. You also noticed that families with kids in tow weren't showing up.

So you research local potential patrons, especially ones that have kids. They tell you that they don't come anymore because of a some drunken, rowdy, rude fans they have experienced or have heard about? You come back to the stadium and notice you've got a problem with binging, fans that load up on 8 beers and head to their seats. Then they stagger back to consessions at the 7th inning stretch to grab another 6, you know just incase the game goes into extra innings. (assume for this hypothetical situation that this was the park's existing policy and local liquor laws allowed it)

You check a bit deeper an suspect that this culture has been self perpetuating, that drunk rowdy people were driving off patrons. Attendance had been holding fairly well, dropping only slightly at first, but many of the new patrons were people that didn't mind drunken rowdy fans because they were usually too drunk to notice. wink.gif

You also find that even some of the current fans are only just hanging in and tolerating the drunks because they have team/brand loyalty. But they heard about this other stadium where some of their friend & neighbors go. They checked it out and found it has a nice friendly atmosphere they like. They weren't as into the team/brand on the field, so it's kinda a toss up now. But they have started following the other team in the papers. So you suspect maybe they might not be a patron of yours much longer.

What's a customer service orientated business to do?

You float the idea of cutting back to a 3 drink per ticket limit. But you already have a lot of existing patrons that like to load up, so you get a very vocal negative. Hey, they are paying fans damn it? Piss them off enough and they might not be back. You try to explain to them that you want a family environment because long term that'll be best for team they love. A large part of the reaction from this vocal group is that you should just f-ck off, that getting hammered is a big part of their enjoyment of the game. They think those wusses that don't like it, and don't like the cursing and swearing should just have a beer or three and loosen up.

So how about you crack another brew, kick back, and think about whether you'd push ahead with the 3 drink limit?
El Ojitos
QUOTE (cheops)
The people behind SR, in my opinion have decided to stop selling beer and our not giving adequate reassurances that I will be rewarded by still being their customer without being able to buy beer.

Have you ever considered that for some people the absence of beer may be the reward? I'm quite sure that FanPro truly believe that games without beer (read: SR without CP etc) will turn more people on than off.
It has been said here many times before: The amount of "whining" at DS may be a very unreliable indicator for the future success of SR4. We are the kind of die-hard enthusiasts who are very likely to go on buying their stuff regardless of all the threats uttered in this forum.
If they feel they have hard data telling them that many prospective new customers are turned away by the complexity of the rules they are absolutely right to pander to their wishes and not ours.
They are, you might say, finally starting to sell them beer.
El Ojitos
Damn, blakkie. You were faster and put it much better than I have.
blakkie
QUOTE (El Ojitos @ Jun 25 2005, 07:50 AM)
Damn, blakkie. You were faster and put it much better than I have.

When he mentioned beer and sports park i knew senarios that match scarily to this. There is a CFL team called the Hamilton Tigercats that had this kind of thing happen, only they did squat about it for years till it got really, really bad. Then a new owner came in and put his foot down. There was a big stink raised by a vocal number of people, they were mad as hell that this guy wanted to sissify things. People that had become a sizable percentage of the few hardcore fans they had left coming to games.

But a year later the new owner is widely hailed as a marketing genius that saved the team. *shrug*
Cheops
People loading up on beer? Happens all the time...

First off, you are only allowed to take two beers per person at a time. Servers are supposed to stop serving people who are drunk. Beer sales end in the bottom of the 8th inning. If someone is getting rowdy or causing problems, whether drunk or just an asshole, security gets involved very quickly and the fan is booted (with some compensation to make them feel better like free tickets or something) and told to behave next time. All the servers are required to take the government mandatory training program, serving it right, and if they are found to be in violation of it they are fired. In general when people see that people are being kicked out for being rowdy they tend to sit down and be quiet very quickly because they don't want to be kicked out. We've had bachelor parties sit right next to youth groups and have received no complaints in the past. The SR team is doing a very poor job of handling both groups of customers--the ones that don't want change because they like their beer and the growth group that doesn't like the beer and wants change. There are ways to appease both and they simply chose to take away beer instead of coming up with a creative solution IN MY OPINION.

If the situation presented happened then we would probably ban beer too. That doesn't mean that I'd expect people to be happy about it or to berate them about it. Which is what is happening a lot around here towards us anti-SR4 people. And I'm rapidly finding that the people who are berating us don't always see our point or focus on minor issues that are tangent to our main argument. My previous post, as I pointed out a few times, is that FanPro is really dropping the ball in terms of customer service and brand management as far as I'm concerned.

I have had no trouble attracting new players, new GMs, and generating all kinds of hype with the SR3 rules. We run very compelling, story-based games using the "clunky and cumbersome" (other people's words not mine) rules that had plenty of role-playing and realism without getting bogged down in rules. After about a session or two new players are completely familiar with the rules and ready to play a new character because they realize they can play something closer to what they want with the rules but weren't able to fully realize it the first time or because they've see the group's decker and rigger at work and know the rules.

Mind you I play at a university so my crowd is smarter than the mean. I'm not running games full of 14 year old D&Ders or 30 something LARPers who have aversions to anything more complicated than rock-paper-scissors.

PS I work for the Vancouver Canadians minor league ball team and no Dumpshock wide discounts unless Dumpshock contacts us--it'd have to be handled individually. Also note that we have been named the best place to see a minor league ball game for a few years now and have grown 25% over the past 5 years that I've worked there (in spite of my presence...lol) despite our rowdy drunks.
blakkie
QUOTE (Cheops)
If the situation presented happened then we would probably ban beer too.

Yes. Absolutely.

That doesn't mean that I'd expect people to be happy about it or to berate them about it.

Happy about what, seeing the drunks off giving the heave-ho? I would think that you would WANT people that you want to come to the park to be happy about. People that wanted to come but didn't because of drunks, so now they feel they can come. You don't want them to be happy about that?

As for berating. So you have people that felt the drunks were detering from something they wanted to enjoy. Accomidations for them are given. Then a bunch of the drunks (sober or not) show up outside the stadium yelling and calling these returning an new people a pack of pussies that ruined their good time. You don't think these new and returning people would think lowly of the drunks?

Which is what is happening a lot around here towards us anti-SR4 people.

Quite unprovoked as well! *cough*

And I'm rapidly finding that the people who are berating us don't always see our point or focus on minor issues that are tangent to our main argument.  My previous post, as I pointed out a few times, is that FanPro is really dropping the ball in terms of customer service and brand management as far as I'm concerned.

*shrug* Do you manage to please -every- customer you have? I'm guessing no. Sadly some just aren't worth the pain in the ass that they are. Someone repeatedly is getting booted do you keep handing him free tickets? What if he loses it while being escorted or after being released out the door? Fairly rare, but some people just aren't good drunks. frown.gif

You were trying peddle customer service bullshit as a reason why -you- needed to be heeded. Pampered to. Frankly you are putting yourself beyond reach. You are quickly the asshole in the parking lot screaming about your beer being taken away. How drunken rowdiness is just fine, it works for the right minded people you associate with, and that they are going to regret it when you stop coming to the park.

P.S. You still haven't seem to grasp separating "playtesters" from Fanpro. Wireknight came here some time back and posted down to me in a condesending way. Do i hold Fanpro to that? Why should i?
Adam
Hey hey,

Just caught this while catching up with the thread, and I'm on my way out the door for the weekend, so I won't see any replies until late Sunday:

It sounds to me like FanPro (at least the U.S. version) is a convenient fiction--a label by which to name the assorted freelancers producing SR materials, and a mechanism by which to pay them.  It's not surprising that they don't have a customer service department if FanPro barely exists at all.

I'd disagree with this; while FanPro doesn't have a dedicated customer service department, it's certainly more than a convenient fiction -- it has all the aspects of a "real business", and the "freelancers are FanPro" idea is overblown. FanPro does use a lot of freelancers, but it also has a core staff and has to answer to FanPro Germany and their staff.

Most game companies of FanPro's size don't have a "customer service department" -- they're lucky if they have a dedicated employee who can handle mail orders and answering generic emails. Usually it just gets shunted to the other staff members, who do it as and when they have time, or it gets offloaded to another company [like Studio 2, who handles FanPro's mail order sales.]

I'm certainly not saying this situation is ideal, but it's reality in the game industry; small companies generally can't afford employees that don't directly increase production output.

I think it's a mistake to interpret what playtesters or freelancers say as FanPro's customer service.  They're just people, and people can be nice or grumpy, and FanPro doesn't have much say over that, given how it's structured.  About as much as could happen is Rob saying, "Y'know, I wish you wouldn't do that on DS.  And by the way, I need the revised draft of Chapter 3, how's it coming?"

Correct. I try not to get into "back and forth" debates about Shadowrun topics -- on Dumpshock or elsewhere -- since people generally think it's unbecoming. That's one of the reasons I don't post much, whether here or in the SR forum. When I do poke my head in, it's generally just to make factual clarifications, or sometimes to answer easy questions that don't require 15 minutes of research.
Ellery
Added in edit: thanks for the clarification, Adam. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what FanPro is. smile.gif

Okay, back to arguing with blakkie:

It's almost always bad to have angry ex-customers, regardless of whether they were troublemakers or will no longer like your product anyway, or what. Upset customers generate bad PR.

The hypothetical scenario involving drunken beer-swillers, as presented, doesn't give many options; one set of customers is actively annoying another set of customers. That's always an awkward situation to deal with and Cheops described a decent compromise: kick out the customer who is actively causing the problem, and do something small to try to make them not feel so bad about it.

But with SR4, product sales aren't likely to be greatly hurt if people with somewhat different playing styles (who don't really enjoy each others' styles) buy the product. So the inherent conflict isn't at the player level. It might be at the level of conflicting interests, but even that hasn't been established. The way SR4 has been implemented has apparently caused a good deal of conflict of interests, but that could just as easily be a result of poor design as something that is inherent in improving the game for potential customers.
blakkie
QUOTE (Ellery @ Jun 25 2005, 12:31 PM)
Okay, back to arguing with blakkie:

I didn't see disagreement in that post? smile.gif

It's not like Fanpro can, or even tried to kick people out of anything. This place is kinda off grounds for them. Sure Adam is an admin here, but he doesn't come down with the heat on this topic. Just staying shutup except for simple, hard facts that he can give out seems like a pretty damn good plan. No?

P.S. The metaphor of beer at the park is now stretching really thin. I don't mean to imply that there are a lot of intoxicated people posting here. Or that you can expect me to show up at your house and toss freshly emptied Jack Daniels bottles through your front window. Except maybe for Critias. grinbig.gif
Adam
QUOTE (Ellery)
Added in edit: thanks for the clarification, Adam. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what FanPro is. smile.gif

FanPro LLC is a small to medium-sized publishing company in the hobby game industry publishing products based on licensed properties from WizKids Inc [Shadowrun and Classic BattleTech] and FanPro GmbH [The Dark Eye]. It maintains a small staff for product development and uses freelancers for most writing and production tasks. It works closely with FanPro GmbH ["FanPro Germany"] in developing/translating game material, and shares other resources when appropriate.

Does that help? I'm not sure what you're trying to learn. smile.gif
Ellery
I have plenty of friends who work for or are part of typical small businesses. I'm trying to figure out in what way FanPro is like and unlike those other businesses.

For example, are there full-time people whose job is, in part, public relations (they may have many other responsibilities also)? What fraction of the published work from FanPro is from people on the payroll as opposed to work that's contracted out? Things like this make the difference between thinking of FanPro as a company producing a product under standard parameters, and thinking of FanPro as an editing house that serves to organize a bunch of individual efforts that take place outside of the company. I'm sure the reality is somewhere in between, but I'm not sure where in between.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012