Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help me design...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Overwatch
Beauty and the Beast.

SHE is an elf, drop dead gorgeous. And she's a high level initiate shaman of the "lover" Idol. She hits on the PC (and all his male friends) non stop with her come hither looks and her off the scale charisma. She'll use manipulation spells and illusions to get whomever she wants. And doom falls on anyone who scorns her.

HE is a high level initiate snake shaman SASQUATCH. The mere thought of her with another "man" fills him with rage. If he should actually Catch her with one of the PCs...limbs and mana both go flying.

The character must then walk a fine line, not offending the lady, but also never slotting off the sasquatch.

Yes. I know this wrong on many many levels. But think of all the FUN you could have with it.
hermit
THAT is a neighbour who'd soon meet an untimely end by PC-made IED or sniper rifle bullets. Sorry, just a bit too ... agressive. At least in my games.
Overwatch
I thought of that. That's why I made them high level initiates. Good friends to have if you can put up with their shenanigans. But definitely on the dangerous side, if you ever decide to try and take them out.
Buzzed
Did you ever watch The Lady Killers? That old woman would make a perfect annoying neighbor. To make it even better, make her the landlord.

Heck, any landlord would make a perfect excuse for an annoying neighbor.
hermit
Well, they're definitly too much of a liability to MY group's style of playing to be tolerated.

And high-level initiates can do shit about IEDs that are hidden (or really, any type of bomb) or sniper fire anyway.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (hermit)
Well, they're definitly too much of a liability to MY group's style of playing to be tolerated.

And high-level initiates can do shit about IEDs that are hidden (or really, any type of bomb) or sniper fire anyway.

A high force ancoring focus with detect bullet and detect explosive set to trigger an armor spell.
Apathy
QUOTE (hermit)

If I GM'd this, I'd absolutely allow them to kill the annoying neighbor...but I'd follow the same logic used for flaws (getting rid of the flaw just creates a new, equally annoying but possibly different flaw).

So, when the police investigate the death of the neighbor, they find that he was obsessively interesting in the guy next door. And was collecting newspaper clippings of bank heists, and had a ranting diary where he thought the guy was involved, etc.
hermit
Well, my point was, those two characters were too much of a danger to the PCs to be used. An annoying neighbour should be just that, an NPC who annoys the PC (and, ideally, amuses the player), not an extra enemy (or, in that case, two). I think the walking a fine line idea itself isn't too bad, but the execution, with the nympho illusionist/ultra-charisma elf who just CAN't take being turned down and her (ultra-jealous, high-level initiate) troll combat mage boyfriend is a bit ... over the top, to put it nicely.

But, the rules for lifestyle edges/flaws state that flaws can actually gotten rid of if the player so desires. It takes effort, money and karma, but it's entitrely possible. I meaqn, getting rid of bad insulation is rather easy, all it needs is a houses B/R skillsoft, some 1000 nuyen and some time. Same with the annoying neighbour, though I'd put more emphasis on roleplaying there. Killing them might not help, really, but finding a way to either make peace with them or keep them i check should be possible, if the player is creative.
ShadowDragon8685
And when all else fails, give the neighbors the Annoying Neighbor flaw for their home. Do unto others and all that...

Be annoying to the point they want to leave their homes and leave you alone. smile.gif
hyzmarca
QUOTE (hermit)
Well, my point was, those two characters were too much of a danger to the PCs to be used. An annoying neighbour should be just that, an NPC who annoys the PC (and, ideally, amuses the player), not an extra enemy (or, in that case, two). I think the walking a fine line idea itself isn't too bad, but the execution, with the nympho illusionist/ultra-charisma elf who just CAN't take being turned down and her (ultra-jealous, high-level initiate) troll combat mage boyfriend is a bit ... over the top, to put it nicely.

It depends on how far they go. There is a difference between an enemy and someone who beats you up occasionally or someone who powerbolts your car because you wouldn't have set with her in the backseat.

It is a small difference, but an difference none the less. Enemies actually try to capture or kill you.
Birdy
How about the runners mother who came for a visit? A nice old lady who makes sure he gets a healthy breakfast, cleans his oily guns, shows around his baby pictures....

Birdy
ShadowDragon8685
Someone who messes with my wheels becomes an enemy, and will be the recipiant of a prompt bombing or snipering.

And I think Birdy has an awesome idea there. smile.gif Even the hardest runner (hopefully) won't blast his own mother.
Nyxll
QUOTE (Birdy)
How about the runners mother who came for a visit? A nice old lady who makes sure he gets a healthy breakfast, cleans his oily guns, shows around his baby pictures....

Birdy

LMAO .... cleans them in the dish washer no less.

Also shrinks his armored vest in the wash.
Smiley
And sews labels with the 'runner's name into all of his underwear.
ElFenrir
Oh dear....Mom would be an interesting one, tho not quite a Neighbor.

I'm still leaning toward the frat group at this point but I keep getting chuckles at The Cartmans. But hell, I never thought of the Landlord!!! The landlord would either be an old lady or some old fat guy with a wifebeater.

I'm shying away from high level initiates....that's more like the Enemy flaw, I agree. And two high level Initiates would prolly be an Enemy: 2 flaw each.

Quick off topic: Hermit: Some other great bands from here(besides the well known HIM, Children of Bodom, Sentenced and Nightwish), are Norther(a favorite), Finntroll, Ensiferum, Vanguard, Thyrane, Moonsorrow, Impaled Nazarene...and that's just Finland.

Back to program: The mom washing his guns in the dishwasher... rotfl.gif 'Dear, there's all clean! Now I'll make you and your friends dinner tonight, how's that? You've been eating from the Stuffer Shack too much....what did I tell you about those greasy McHugh's burgers anyway....?'
hermit
Even the hardest runner (hopefully) won't blast his own mother.

Yeah, buch have you checked how many orphans run the shadows? Besides, for mom, there's the "living with parents" flaw.

I'm still leaning toward the frat group at this point but I keep getting chuckles at The Cartmans. But hell, I never thought of the Landlord!!! The landlord would either be an old lady or some old fat guy with a wifebeater.

Well yeah, landlord is nice, but ... wouldn't that rather be a landlord flaw?

Quick off topic: Hermit: Some other great bands from here(besides the well known HIM, Children of Bodom, Sentenced and Nightwish), are Norther(a favorite), Finntroll, Ensiferum, Vanguard, Thyrane, Moonsorrow, Impaled Nazarene...and that's just Finland.

Thanks! I'll be checking them out. Oh, one more question: whatever happened to Apocalyptica? Do they progress on the way they went with 'Reflections', or do they see the error of that and return to the good old times?

There're many great bands there; without the above mentioned four, life would be hardly bearable on a continent where ringtones beat decent bands (like Coldplay) in charts. >_<.

Wonder why. The long, dark, cold nordic winters?
Jrayjoker
If you go with the fratboys, model them after the ones in Mystery Men. A perfect combination of threat and annoyance!
Nyxll
heh .... how about the clampets like in beverly hillbillies. Rich, and annoying. a tom boy hottie physad that will kick your butt, a street sammie grandma, that routinely shoots and traps neighbourhood critters. Just thinking of dumb old Jethro makes my stresslevel go up.
Edward
I feal I should point out that these flaws are described in sprawl survival guide and apply to the lifestyle (modifying the monthly cost) not to the character (as you seemed to think, I could be wrong)

I like the idea of a surfy type, stoned lowed, intrusive and with no concept of time of day littleown day of weak.

Edward
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012