Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Changes to Magic
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
SL James
God, I hope not.

What about Adept powers like Combat Sense, which adds dice to Combat Pool and allows percentages of Combat Pool dice to be used for Surprise Tests. If there isn't a combat pool in Fourth Edition, then we lose my favorite Adept power. If there's something like it, then... what could it be?

Rob mentioned in the mp3 Adam put up that there might be some tactical programs in Unwired (or whatever the Matrix books will be called in the end) that work like the Initiative bonus provided by the Small Unit Tactics skill (Actually he said they'd "add Initiative dice" which is itself something I will ask about later), which is something the Tactical Computer provides a bonus to, and that piece of tech in Man & Machine happens to work like a cyber version of Combat Sense. So... I don't know where I'm going with this anymore. Basically, what about Combat Sense?
tisoz
QUOTE (Eldritch)
But will we see magic items usable by mundanes?

Magic shields?

Magic Armor?

Enchanted Missle weapons?

Right, things that were not possible under the current rules.

As far as that goes, how about an armor spell that doesn't scream, "Kill me!"?
Eldritch
QUOTE (tisoz)
QUOTE (Eldritch @ Jul 12 2005, 12:01 PM)
But will we see magic items usable by mundanes?

Magic shields?

Magic Armor?

Enchanted Missle weapons?

Right, things that were not possible under the current rules.

As far as that goes, how about an armor spell that doesn't scream, "Kill me!"?

Ya, with magic getting easier - spells cast at any force, summoning any kind of spirit - it's a valid question smile.gif

MY Opinion: That magic is apperently getting easier based on what we've been told so far. Yeah, it may be streamlining, but it still equals easier as far as the setting goes. The question is will they explain it in game as a rise in mana, or just ignore it. (A-la grounding)

Synner
From my experience I'd say magic isn't any easier. Furthermore people are mistaking the streamlining and unification of the underlying mechanics with unification of the in game paradigms of magic, mana, spirits of each tradition respective. For instance, in game, hermetics will still call elementals and shamans will still call nature spirits (it's the rules behind them that have been redressed and altered).
Eldritch
I dunno; knowing fireball, and being able to cast it at whatever level you want, is easier than knowing fireball 4, and stuck with casting a level 4.

Hermetics can now summon an 'unbound' spirit on the fly - he couldn't do that 'five years ago'. Shamens can now bond a nature spirit to them for loinger than the dusk/dawn time limits. Thats also 'easier'. (IMHO)

Those two items alone comes across as - in my interpretation - magic is easier to use.

the bound vs unbound spirits...Everyone will be able to summon both types of spirits, the unbound are like the old shaman type, the bound like the hermetic. So both spirits are still there, just every tradition has access to them. If I remember correctly there are 6 base spirits and every tradition chooses 5 they can summon (or are determined by tradition). More will be added in the Magic book.

If this is described correctly, then is <I>sounds</i> like that if you wanted to, you could choose a couple elementals, an a couple nature spirits as your spirit 'base' = though I may be reading that wrong. It says limited by tradition, I assumed limited by a shamanic tradition.
Synner
QUOTE (Eldritch @ Jul 12 2005, 08:11 PM)
I dunno; knowing fireball, and being able to cast it at whatever level you want, is easier than knowing fireball 4, and stuck with casting a level 4.

That's a possibility, particularly when seen out of context of other changes - such as the new variable Magic rating and its impact and the new breakdown of magic skills and their respective costs, and whatever system of Drain ends up being used.

Hermetics can now summon an 'unbound' spirit on the fly - he couldn't do that 'five years ago'.  Shamens can now bond a nature spirit to them for loinger than the dusk/dawn time limits.  Thats also 'easier'. (IMHO)

It means they're more flexible not necessarily that its easier or more common, particularly taking into account the new Conjuring Skills. For those of you preocupied with "in game" consistency and continuity, assume the breakthroughs necessary for the bound/unbound conjuration are a natural evolution of the UMT principles being explored in SOTA64 (but which have been around the SR academic magical community since at least '61).

Those two items alone comes across as  - in my interpretation -  magic is easier to use.

Again, considering them as is and out of context I would agree with you.

the bound vs unbound spirits...Everyone will be able to summon both types of spirits, the unbound are like the old shaman type, the bound like the hermetic. So both spirits are still there, just every tradition has access to them. If I remember correctly there are 6 base spirits and every tradition chooses 5 they can summon (or are determined by tradition). More will be added in the Magic book.

If this is described correctly, then is <I>sounds</i> like that if you wanted to, you could choose a couple elementals, an a couple nature spirits as your spirit 'base' = though I may be reading that wrong. It says limited by tradition, I assumed limited by a shamanic tradition.

While I can't go into it any further that is an incorrect interpretation. I will only clarify that as has been mentioned elsewhere (ruleswise) there are 6 spirits types. IIRC Each tradition is able to conjure 5 of those spirits types and they manifest as spirits fitting that tradition's "in game" paradigm... Hope that helps.
hermit
So you mean by 6 spirit types something like the following list:

- watchers
- unbound spirits
- bound sprits
- great form spirits
- posessive spirits
- allies

Did I get that correctly?
Kagetenshi
I doubt that "toxic" is going to be on the list, as that would either open up the Toxic way to PCs or result in every PC spellslinger having the same list. More likely is that they have spirit types 1-6, and toxics get 5 out of spirit types Toxic 1-6, inheriting 1-6 but with the toxic additions/alterations.

~J
hermit
Allright, what other kind of spirit could be meant?

Edit: changed my list. Lwa posess people too, that's not a speciality of inect shamen.

Which, by the way, just got a lot more mighty.
Synner
I think it's not going too far by saying that list doesn't reflect the intended breakdown in SR4.
hobgoblin
-fire spirits
-water spirits
-air spirits
-earth spirits
-spirits of man
-watchers
-ancestor spirits
-allys

maybe?
Eldritch
That list sounds good - except for toxic. I would guess you can have toxic bound, unbound, ally and even wathce4rs - Toxic might be a traddition.

Ancestor maybe?

Sorry Synner, either I'm not explaining what I mean very well, or your not getting it smile.gif

Kagetenshi
My guess is that insect shamans, if they don't have a rules exception, are also just going to have a new spirit type that inherits normal spirit types.

~J
Eldritch
Eh, I'd put Insect under Nature Spirits - A 'Limited by tradition' type clause. As well as Blood. And toxic would just be a 'template' to slip over any tradition.

Loa as well - a limited by tradition type.

And ally, well that would kinda suck it that were a type you'd have to choose from. Who's gonna want to waste initial char resources on a spirit he may not be able to summon for years? I'd slip Ally as a meta-magical technique. (Assuming you can not add that 6th type in later somehow)

Watchers
elementals
nature spirits
Ancestor

Thats a good start, but no guesses on the rest. Or I could be completley off base.
nyahnyah.gif
Synner
QUOTE (Eldritch @ Jul 12 2005, 09:33 PM)
Sorry Synner, either I'm not explaining what I mean very well, or your not getting it :)

No problem. But I do think I understand the point you're making. What I'm trying to say is that, you are using an SR3 context as reference for evaluating relative "ease", when you should be using SR4 as reference. For instance:

Should be considered within an SR4 framework which we've been told includes:
  • a variable Magic rating - which may or may not impact the relevant "dice pool" (SR4 FAQ)
  • where the human attributes average - including Magic - are rating 3 (Origins podcast).
  • where Force is capped at 2x Magic Rating (demo player's info from Origin)
  • where Sorcery skills have been broken down into multiple skills (SR4 FAQ and Origins podcast).
  • where Conjuring skills have also been broken down into multiple skills, further dividing your BP/karma expenditure (SR4 FAQ and Origins podcast).
  • where skills in general cost more at above average levels (SR4 FAQ).
  • How Drain is calculated -and reduced- is unknown.
Eldritch
Yeah, I get that. But lets say someone starts off an expierenced runner campaign in SR4 - something closer to the power level of a starting sr3 char. So it would be possible to have a magic: 6 character - with higher skills.

I guess thats what I'm getting at; a comparable SR4 char vs a Comparable beginning SR3 char.
Synner
I'm assuming that at the very least a Magical character converting from SR3 is going to have his skills reduced when broken up or will have to reallocate those skill points at SR4 costs to SR4 skills (pretty much the route I believe a conversion guide will go to keep abuse in check) - which might make him slightly more powerful than the default SR4 newb character, but not immensely so.

The introduction of Skill Groups (mentioned at Origins) also changes things a bit.
hermit
Can you give us a clue as to how these work? Are these now put between the actual skill and attributes when defaulting?
Synner
Nope. Although iirc the second part of the podcast (which Adam has promised to upload as soon as he can) should clarify Skill Groups further.
apollo124
Got my list of 5 spirit types right here

Toxic spirits
Blood spirits
Insect spirits
Sheddim
either Great Dragon spirits (Ghostie and Dunkie) or one minor Horror

nyahnyah.gif
Kremlin KOA
Feel the power of the Dark side of the Farce nyahnyah.gif devil.gif
Velocity
QUOTE (blakkie @ Jul 5 2005, 07:39 AM)
That there was nolonger a need for that kludge
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
There was never the need for that kludge. The problem with pre-SR4 magic is that people lost sight of what the magic system was designed as and tried to either combine elements that didn't go together (...)

Mind clarifying that, Kag?
Kagetenshi
The short version: I don't feel that traditions other than hermetics or shamans (and adepts), or combinations of traditions (like physical adepts, or Universal Magical Theory hermetic-shamanic crossbreeds), belong in Shadowrun. While they've been made unplayable, I feel that the only "valid" new tradition offered has been psionicists—precisely because they aren't a new tradition, just somewhat delusional followers of one of the base two traditions.

Blakkie is assuming that other traditions or hybrid traditions should be implemented (or implementable), and that therefore the inelegance of such implementations under the current rules demonstrates that the rules are flawed. The correct view, in my opinion, is that other traditions and hybrids have no place in Shadowrun, and that the need for a kludge to introduce them reflects that the entire idea is an attempt to fit a square peg into a SODIMM slot.

~J
Shadow
QUOTE (Synner)
converting from SR3 is going to have his skills reduced when broken up or will have to reallocate those skill points at SR4 costs to SR4 skills

Any clues on the conversion system, with the several new attributes, and all the skills dropped, and stats capped at 6, how are characters with all atts above 6 and a bunch of 9 and 10s in skills be converted?
Synner
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Jul 19 2005, 05:39 PM)
The short version: I don't feel that traditions other than hermetics or shamans (and adepts), or combinations of traditions (like physical adepts, or Universal Magical Theory hermetic-shamanic crossbreeds), belong in Shadowrun. While they've been made unplayable, I feel that the only "valid" new tradition offered has been psionicists—precisely because they aren't a new tradition, just somewhat delusional followers of one of the base two traditions.

Forget about the hybrid Awakened or traditions - what about Wuxing (or any other Oriental tradition)? Or Voudoun? Or Hindustani mysticism. Rule them out? Ignore them? Force pretend they have anything in common with Hermeticism and Shamanism?

The guys who created the Hermetic/Shamanic duality in the first place quickly thought better of it (Grimoire I added Voudoun, London added Druidism and TNO added the Path of the Wheel). The problem was the way they chose to implement it not the fact that they included new traditions.

And by the way UMT suggests breakthroughs in overcoming specific practical limitations thought to be tradition-based, not any actual fusion in traditions/paradigms and their underlying beliefs.
Kagetenshi
In my opinion, yes, rule them out. Voudoun in particular is impossible to implement well even with a magic system designed to accept multiple traditions simply because to accurately represent the single most important part of being a Houngan requires handing off control to the GM for the entire duration of pretty much anything significantly important. Other than that, yes, I believe the original designers should have stuck to their guns and had some traditions be flat-out wrong.

Regarding the UMT, that's fair. I suppose it would be more correctly put that I don't agree with the philosophy of allowing those limitations to be capable of being overcome.

~J
Ancient History
As with many things, magic is always a work-in-progress. You can't represent every system of magic as you'd like to, so you have to pick and choose. Then you have to fit them into the existing system, and see what you can come up with to make it unique without being unbalancing.

Hermetics are probably the easiest magicians to relate to; pure vanilla. You can go pick up a load of Hellblazer and Dr. Strange comics and have fun, re-create Harry Potter's post-pubescent self, whatever. Aside from those cheeky elementalists introduced in the Grimoire, they were a dime-a-dozen-I think they were ripe for the styles in Magic in the Shadows and the schools in State of the Art: 2064.

Shamans have always been a bit more fun, if only because you don't have to aspire to a white tower and a pointy hat with a beard. They tend to get the shaft, though. Insect shamans, toxic shamans, wendigo...and then everybody wants their own set of totems and a reason to explain why /theire/ Siberian saman, Pueblo Cochina dancer, Catholic Idol-worshipper and Australian koradji is different and unique and special and most definately not a shaman. Hell, Druidism and Voudoun both split off from shamans, and even physads snuggled into the action with Totem Way adepts. What a mess. The styles in Magic in the Shadows at least let you customize a character while keeping it in line with the original concept.

Druidism, as it was presented in the London Sourcebook and the first Grimoire, became hopelessly too powerful when mixed with the oft-lamented Germany Sourcebook and Tir na nOg (the latter in particular was a ball-buster).
If you want to complain about wishy-washy traditions, this thing takes the cake: magical adepts, hermetics, Idol-followers, nature-shamans, animal-shamans, mythic-shamans, path magicians...oy.

Voudoun was kicked off in Awakenings, and I really liked it m'self (oh, we could have the arguement about real vs. Shadowrun-style voudoun, but that's messy), even with the addition and corrections made in Cyberpirates! and Target: Smuggler Havens. Still, I think Magic in the Shadows was a step in the right direction for Voudoun.
Arguably the most mutated tradition, Voudoun was the bastard child of shamanism with a few twists (loa achete, govi, ancestor spirits, voudounistas, zombies) and changed significantly.

Wujen really got their start in the Underworld Sourcebook (as anyone who's read the old Shadis article will heartily agree), but didn't even begin to resemble a reasonable and enticing tradition until Magic in the Shadows. Tattoo Magic just doesn't cut it.
SL James
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jul 19 2005, 06:36 PM)
...and then everybody wants their own set of totems and a reason to explain why /theire/ Siberian saman, Pueblo Cochina dancer,

*suppresses laughter/coughing*

*ahem*

Excuse me. I hope you meant Kachina.
blakkie
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Jul 19 2005, 11:39 AM)
Blakkie is assuming that other traditions or hybrid traditions should be implemented (or implementable), and that therefore the inelegance of such implementations under the current rules demonstrates that the rules are flawed. The correct view, in my opinion, is that other traditions and hybrids have no place in Shadowrun, and that the need for a kludge to introduce them reflects that the entire idea is an attempt to fit a square peg into a SODIMM slot.

~J

"Assuming" is an extremely poor word choice. Instead i was expressing my lack of satifaction of the depth provided the 3 original sterotypes of "sterile hermetic", "emotional shaman", "punching adept".

The ironic thing is that from the beginning SR magic was NOT limited to those 3, just PCs were. For example dragons cast/summon in a way much closer to what SR4 magic sounds like, only they have even less limitations (understandable given the time they have had to amass their knowledge, plus how much tighter their bodies are intertwined with magic). Put in that light the 3 originals appear more like what i think they really are, limitations of an initial creation lacking the years of development of the world.

In my opinion, yes, rule them out. Voudoun in particular is impossible to implement well even with a magic system designed to accept multiple traditions simply because to accurately represent the single most important part of being a Houngan requires handing off control to the GM for the entire duration of pretty much anything significantly important.

Fooey. A player can run that part just as [edit: well as] they would an ally spirit or free spirit their PC has bound. Are those GM-only run as well in your games?
Kagetenshi
Yes. They aren't in yours?

~J
blakkie
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Yes. They aren't in yours?

~J

Absolutely not. The GM may guide them at times, or take even stronger control in certain situations. Sometimes due to sensitive information that only the GM has knowledge of, sometimes to make conflict of interest situations easier to play out. But under normal circumstances the people i play with are more than mature and able enough to run separate characters, and our GMs are willing to not sweat the little stuff so they can keep themselves busy the important tasks running the rest of the world.
Kagetenshi
An Ally Spirit, and especially a bound Free Spirit, absolutely is a part of the "rest of the world". I know I'd trust a lot of my players to play them, but I at least find it not particularly fun to play a secondary character actively trying to break free of my primary character, and in the case of a bound spirit probably actively working to subvert my primary character—that sort of thing is best left to the GM.

~J
Cynic project
QUOTE (Ancient History)

Hermetics are probably the easiest magicians to relate to; pure vanilla. You can go pick up a load of Hellblazer and Dr. Strange comics and have fun, re-create Harry Potter's post-pubescent self, whatever. Aside from those cheeky elementalists introduced in the Grimoire, they were a dime-a-dozen-I think they were ripe for the styles in Magic in the Shadows and the schools in State of the Art: 2064.

If you need magical toys to make your mage fun...

Well, let's just say that you can play hermetics in all sorts of lights. Hermetism let you play the character with more free range. Does you mage think magic is an art?Do you believe God gave her the power? Do you think that you are jut working in a scientific feild? Are any of those forms any less valid? If you need rules for flavor.
mfb
i don't think it's quite fair to make an ally spirit an NPC. they are extremely expensive, and it's flat-out unfair to turn something into which a player sinks a significant chunk of their resources into a toy for the GM--or, worse, a liability that the GM regularly uses against the character. now, a bound spirit? that's fair game for the GM. those are free, and TANSTASFL.

likewise, with voudoun, there's no reason that total control has to be handed off to the GM. there are too many unknowns with magic to say concretely that tradition X would work in manner Y. all you can do is look at them as they are in the real world, and extrapolate.
Ancient History
I allow some leadway. Magicians can expect obedience from their ally spirits, but they should interact with them, not play them as another character. I fully trust them to have the ally do anything they ask it to do, and I completely agree the player should has a say over it's actions-it is perfectly reasonable for the ally to attempt to save the magician without being asked. It's unreasonable for a GM to use it to screw over the player...all the time.

Bound free spirits are most definately NPCs. It'll follow the player's direct commands and any bargains it makes, but the GM determines how it carries those orders out.

Loa spirits possessing houngans and mambos...t'be frank, it's always been my understanding in voodoo that when a loa mounts the houngan, they do pretty much whatever they damn well want anyway. In my games-you may have your own interpretation-the player is allowed to roleplay the loa, with the provision that the GM has final say if the loa starts acting out of character.

For instance, I highly doubt a Shango-mounted mambo would call on a free spirit bound to the mambo. But if the battle was going against the spirit, I'd allow it.

Generally speaking, being mounted by a loa spirit should be a Big Deal. It's really the main voodoo trick, and is ideal for the climax of a story or a big battle when you need the edge. Little thematic details-walking on broken glass, drinking too much, smoking big black cigars and pressing the smoldering butts into the forearm-shouldn't damage the mount in any significant way (I consider hangovers acceptable).
blakkie
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jul 19 2005, 08:53 PM)
I allow some leadway. Magicians can expect obedience from their ally spirits, but they should interact with them, not play them as another character. I fully trust them to have the ally do anything they ask it to do, and I completely agree the player should has a say over it's actions-it is perfectly reasonable for the ally to attempt to save the magician without being asked. It's unreasonable for a GM to use it to screw over the player...all the time.

Bound free spirits are most definately NPCs. It'll follow the player's direct commands and any bargains it makes, but the GM determines how it carries those orders out.

Loa spirits possessing houngans and mambos...t'be frank, it's always been my understanding in voodoo that when a loa mounts the houngan, they do pretty much whatever they damn well want anyway. In my games-you may have your own interpretation-the player is allowed to roleplay the loa, with the provision that the GM has final say if the loa starts acting out of character.

I agree bound free spirits do generally call for more GM countermanding than ally spirits. Generally we treat situations like that case-by-case. If the binding conjurer makes the effort to align the spirit's path to its goals with his path altering his to match the spirits and/or convincing the spirit (via extra gifts, persuation, etc.) to adjust it's to match the conjurer's then things tend to go smoothly.

The flipside is if the conjurer only relies on the leverage of the binding or does poorly aligning the goals or means to goals then the slide to complete GM control is usually innevitable.

I just find that the later is usually the exception since that is recognized as the most prudent for the PC(player), barring certain PC(player) personality "quirks". So the typical interaction is:
Player: My Ally spirit does X. [direction by the PC is implied, and must be possible]
*GM silence on the matter denoting that is what happened

The overrides then take the form of things like:
Player: My bound spirit does Y. / I ask my bound spirit to do Y.
GM: Well it seems she "misunderstood" your directions. A interpretation of Y seems to be Z, which is what the spirit does.

EDIT: That is also roughly applicable for loa mounts. If the PC had some goal that wasn't likely to jive with the loa, or just got plain unlucky with catching the spirit at a bad time, then he becomes little more than meat along for the ride. We also find this applicable for The Game That Shall Not Be Mentioned with intellegent magic items with sufficent ego to sometimes or aways dominate the weilder.

NOTE: We even allow players of PCs that are under strong mind influencing effects to put forward a case for their PC's intepretation of the controller's commands, of course subject to GM approval. Word twisting turn-about being fair play and all. smile.gif
NeoJudas
QUOTE (Synner)
Forget about the hybrid Awakened or traditions - what about Wuxing (or any other Oriental tradition)? Or Voudoun? Or Hindustani mysticism. Rule them out? Ignore them? Force pretend they have anything in common with Hermeticism and Shamanism?

The guys who created the Hermetic/Shamanic duality in the first place quickly thought better of it (Grimoire I added Voudoun, London added Druidism and TNO added the Path of the Wheel). The problem was the way they chose to implement it not the fact that they included new traditions.

And by the way UMT suggests breakthroughs in overcoming specific practical limitations thought to be tradition-based, not any actual fusion in traditions/paradigms and their underlying beliefs.

Yes, but Druidic magic had both hermetic aspects and shamanic aspects depending upon your centrism. The Elven Paths were variations on Hermetic magic with additional benefits tossed in (and let's not forget their own version of Druidic Practice). Voudoo classed itself primarily as Shamanism, with the Honfour instead of the Lodge but the spirit restrictions remained confusing.

I think the question of the magic is going to have to be left to the Printed Material because everytime people try to explain it here, someone else gets confused where they previously were not.
NeoJudas
QUOTE (SL James)
...and then everybody wants their own set of totems and a reason to explain why /theire/ Siberian saman, Pueblo Cochina dancer,

*ahem*

If he doesn't, I'm sure those pretty seashells will be happy to know they now have a following biggrin.gif
Ancient History
Oh, now he edits it. Doesn't matter in the long run.
SL James
QUOTE (NeoJudas)
QUOTE (SL James @ Jul 20 2005, 12:51 AM)

*ahem*

If he doesn't, I'm sure those pretty seashells will be happy to know they now have a following biggrin.gif

Yeah... Seashells...
Eldritch
QUOTE (SL James)
QUOTE (NeoJudas @ Jul 20 2005, 02:38 PM)
QUOTE (SL James @ Jul 20 2005, 12:51 AM)

*ahem*

Yeah... Seashells...

Shaman Sherry Selects certain Sea shells from the Sea Shore.
SL James
*whoosh*
tisoz
I was pretty much on target with my guess on spirit types.

All full magicians can conjure earth, air, water, and spirits of man. That's 4. Hermetic can conjure fire spirits while shamen can conjure spirits of beasts.

It costs to be magically active, then it costs some more to have a totem.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012