Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Changes to Magic
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Nerbert
I've never found that Shadowrun was about Magic Versus Machine, which makes them sound like they're in direct conflict in all things.

I think Shadowrun is more about the nature of technology and the nature of magic and how the two relate to each other. I think that, in the SR3 rules at least, Shadowrun reflects the idea that "Any suitably advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." I believe that SR3 does this very well, and I suspect that SR4 has made it part of the design philosophy.
Ellery
Pre-SR4 Shadowrun had a significant magic vs. machine component. The inherent tension between the two is why, for example, cyberware costs essence and essence loss reduces magical ability and high-tech objects are harder to affect with magic.

It's not yet clear to me what will be left of this in SR4.
Ancient History
I think Essence loss was to reduce the twink factor. Otherwise, we'd be surrounded by cybermage-monsters.
Kagetenshi
The original intention is barely relevant. It shaped the world's interaction between magic and machine in an incredibly pervasive way.

Additionally, the fact that highly processed items are more magic-resistant than natural items suggests that there are indeed originally-intended reasons beyond balance.

~J
Ellery
Sure, but instead of saying, essence loss reduces magic because this is a GAME and we're balancing the GAME and maybe it doesn't make any sense in the world but if you want to play this GAME you are going to have lower magic when you have cyber, they came up with a reasonable in-character explanation for it. It adds to the flavor instead of providing a distracting reminder of the necessity of game balance.
Ancient History
Were the italics really necessary?
Bandwidthoracle
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
The original intention is barely relevant. It shaped the world's interaction between magic and machine in an incredibly pervasive way.

Additionally, the fact that highly processed items are more magic-resistant than natural items suggests that there are indeed originally-intended reasons beyond balance.

~J

Your opinion is a completely valid one, however I've always kinda thought that had more to do with how complex the thingy you are enchanting was. For example, gun = lots of parts, Rock...just rock. From a balance point of view, an enchanted gun is a lot handier than an enchanted rock (well maybe, but an enchanted rock could be pretty cool). I'm not sure I'd call magic/technology a core issue, maybe more of a side note that things that have been steralised tend to be that way on both planes?
strangeling
QUOTE (Ellery)
Pre-SR4 Shadowrun had a significant magic vs. machine component. The inherent tension between the two is why, for example, cyberware costs essence and essence loss reduces magical ability and high-tech objects are harder to affect with magic.

It's not yet clear to me what will be left of this in SR4.

I don't really know much about SR before the third edition, but I wouldn't say that man vs machine is pervasive. You raise an interesting concept, but it isn't one I would have picked up on without someone bringing it to my attention. I've never seen magic and technology as being at odds in any kind of fighting way. Sure, removing chunks of your body and replacing them with steel lowers essence and hence magic, but that does not mean that technology and magic hold any ill will against each other, just means that cyberware is not a good conductor of magic. Magic is still pretty rare anyway compared to other things like technology, so I guess I've never seen it as a vs thing. I suppose you could use that aspect in a campagin but I wouldn't call it a key component of the game.
Ellery
QUOTE (Ancient History)
I was trying to achieve the distraction effect with the word game in caps, and it worked better for me in italics.

QUOTE (Bandwidthoracle)
I've always kinda thought that had more to do with how complex the thingy you are enchanting was. For example, gun = lots of parts, Rock...just rock.
But what about a wind chime made out of rare twigs, branches, seashells, and coral? That's incredibly complicated at all scales, thanks largely to the action of formerly living beings, and yet it's easy to enchant.
strangeling
QUOTE (Ellery)
But what about a wind chime made out of rare twigs, branches, seashells, and coral? That's incredibly complicated at all scales, thanks largely to the action of formerly living beings, and yet it's easy to enchant.

I really wouldn't call that complicated, I mean, it's pretty for sure, but I could make one of those, fact think I have (I like windchimes, sans magic though)... I'd be pretty hard pressed to actually make a gun. A gun is still by far more complex, and I may be wrong, but isn't it still easier to enchant a rock, or say a lump of metal?
mfb
moreover, single human cell is infinitely more complex than any firearm.
Bandwidthoracle
QUOTE (Ellery)
QUOTE (Ancient History)
I was trying to achieve the distraction effect with the word game in caps, and it worked better for me in italics.

QUOTE (Bandwidthoracle)
I've always kinda thought that had more to do with how complex the thingy you are enchanting was. For example, gun = lots of parts, Rock...just rock.

If I'm reading MitS correctly, I was wrong, the nature of an item doesn't really matter. what matters is 1) Did you make the item yourself. 2) Did you harvest the components for the item yourself. So if you happen to be a metalurgist, and a gunsmith, you can apply both the virign and the handmade Telsma modifiers to your enchanting test. So the nature doesn't matter as much as the items closeness to the enchanter. No nature necessairy.
Ellery
QUOTE (Bandwidthoracle)
If you happen to be a metalurgist, and a gunsmith, you can apply both the virign and the handmade Telsma modifiers to your enchanting test. So the nature doesn't matter as much as the items closeness to the enchanter. No nature necessairy.
Point taken.

The difference between a technological device and a highly complex nontechnological device is much more pronounced in target numbers for spells.

With enchanting, it's there, but it's more subtle (in that you can "harvest" an orange, but not a semiconductor from a FAB plant).
Bandwidthoracle
QUOTE (Ellery)
Point taken.

The difference between a technological device and a highly complex nontechnological device is much more pronounced in target numbers for spells.

Ok, I'll admit I'm a bit foggy in this area, but you've got me curious. How does tech affect TN?
(Other than the whole people with tons of cybeware are harder to heal through magic which is the one I can think of)
mfb
the more processed and artificial something is, the higher its OR. OR is usually either the TN for a spell, or is added to the TN.
Bandwidthoracle
QUOTE (mfb)
the more processed and artificial something is, the higher its OR. OR is usually either the TN for a spell, or is added to the TN.

Hrmm, Isn't OR mostly how hard it is, like plasticreet is higher than tile? Or am I thinking something else or only part of it?
mfb
you're thinking of BR. rules for OR are on page 182 of SR3.
Bandwidthoracle
QUOTE (mfb)
you're thinking of BR. rules for OR are on page 182 of SR3.

Ok, now I'm having a duh moment, I'd totally spaced this, Does this apply to all spells, or just as noted? Man, I totally missed this.
Cain
It applies to most spells, but not all. Elemental manips, for example, do damage; so OR doesn't factor in except for secondary effects. Spells like Levitate have their own set of TNs, and specific-case rules always override the general ones.
Bandwidthoracle
QUOTE (Cain)
It applies to most spells, but not all. Elemental manips, for example, do damage; so OR doesn't factor in except for secondary effects. Spells like Levitate have their own set of TNs, and specific-case rules always override the general ones.

So like if I wanted to cast a analysie device spell on a deck, it'd be the normal TN + the OR?
I've been letting my players off easy. Thank you for the help, I do see your point about magic a lot clealer now.
Bull
I think you're reading way too much into the "Man vs Machine" aspect. The distinction between the two is an aspect of the Shadowrun world, but not a defining feature.

Hell, the old slogan under 1st pr early 2nd ed was "Where Man meets Magic and Machine". And I'm sure AH can back me up on this, but it's heavily inferred by a couple of the IE's that one thing they're hoping for in this cycle is that the combination of tech and magic will allow (meta)humanity to actually face the Horrors, rather than simply hide and wait them out.

There are no definates in Shadowrun, never have been, never will be. It's never entirely one thing vs another. It's always something in between.

Bull
hobgoblin
so given 20+ releases of the BBB SR will turn into rifts? silly.gif
Cheops
hey...at least Rifts sells

But I think it is more likely that given 20 editions of the BBB we'd end up with Eartdawn 6th Age...at least based on the way a some of the freelancers seem to think
hobgoblin
those people are old hat, from the time before fasa sold earthdawn. sr1 and sr2 was full of semi-hidden references to earthdawn.

sr3 on the other hand was supposed to sever that connection after the dragonheart incident...

now we get crasy ai's and stuff instead wink.gif
Not of this World
QUOTE (Bandwidthoracle)
QUOTE (Not of this World @ Jul 6 2005, 03:27 PM)
Just repeating this mainly for emphasis.

For all the mess of rules SR1 was, the magic was easy to understand when we had mages, shamans, adepts and no 1000 degrees of mix between them. The sterility of corporate mages with their formulaic magic and the raw emotion of a simple people displaying their emotions in magic and blowing up volcanoes has been lost.

It might have the name, but Shadowrun is really losing that feel of Magic Vs. Machine.

I think this is more perspetive than fact.
The hermetics aren't all corporatly owned. Nor all all shamans emotional, or even simple people. At least my group has always played that the corps are evil, but are only motivated by greed. Most of the shamanic groups are far darker in purpose (Again perspetive)

You're throwing a lot at me that I didn't say or believe I even portrayed.

Of course its subjective. Did Michelangelo create good art? Did SR1 have more of a folklore and cyberpunk feel than SR2?

I never said anything about Mages being all corporate. But read the SR1 literature (and even much after) and you'll find that the logical thinking mind of the mage is much more in agreement. Magic and Machine aren't at war, but there is a choice.

Western nations with their logic, corporations, and mages? or Native American Nations with their respect for nature, Shamans, and Paranormal critters? Cultural Traditions or Technological progress? Man meets Magic and Machine and weaves his way between them.

Late SR2 lost me and many others when everything just kind of became explained away with "Magic". SR4 will lose me just as quick if it tries to explain all of magic away with formulas and tech.

P.S. - Many people seem to think Earthdawn was somehow hinted about from the beginning of SR1. It wasn't. Earthdawn borrowed far more from Shadowrun than Shadowrun every borrowed or tried to make a connection to ED.
Bull
Wow, this conversation quickly took a wierd turn...

so given 20+ releases of the BBB SR will turn into rifts?

Depends on your way of looking at it, but... Yeah. The nature of Magic in SR is that it's cyclic. It rises and falls in cycles, and within each cycle there's either a peak or a valley, with the Mana level starting at a median point, and builing up or falling even lower, before heading back to that median point.

If I recall my ED Lore well enough (I'm more than a little fuzzy on those details), ED took place in the 4th world, which was a magic "Up cycle" like Shadowrun's 6th world. ED takes place as the Magic is coming back down from it's high point, still far higher than where SR is currently. The big bad Horrors are able to freely move about the world when the Magic is at it's highest, but as it lowers they are limited in their influence, until they;'re shut out completely. In ED, they're blocked off but can still manipulate events,and a few can still interact with the world, I think.

In SR, eventually the magic level will rise high enough for the Horrors to return. In ED, the populace sealed themselves away in magical caerns to hide.

Regardless though, this could be thousands of years off (Though some of the SR2ish storyline stuff revolved around attempts to weaken the barriers and bring this stuff about. The Dragonheart Trilogy patched that up, and put things back on track.

But I think it is more likely that given 20 editions of the BBB we'd end up with Eartdawn 6th Age...at least based on the way a some of the freelancers seem to think

Not sure if you're referring to me or not here, but whatever. I'm actually not 100% what you mean by this, really... Unless you mean getting rid of tech so we're just left with Magic for "ED 6th World", there isn;t much difference from what I would envision as ED 6th World and, to some degree, Rifts. SUper High Tech mixed with Uber Magic. Again, not really something to worry about, though... I don't envision SR ever getting that far along.

those people are old hat, from the time before fasa sold earthdawn. sr1 and sr2 was full of semi-hidden references to earthdawn.

sr3 on the other hand was supposed to sever that connection after the dragonheart incident...

SR3 had it's share of these. Look at YotC, for example. And Dragonheart didn't sever anything... It just marked the return to how things were "supposed to be", and the toning back from the metaplot being so centered on that sort of thing.

[quote]P.S. - Many people seem to think Earthdawn was somehow hinted about from the beginning of SR1. It wasn't. Earthdawn borrowed far more from Shadowrun than Shadowrun every borrowed or tried to make a connection to ED. [quote]

Actually, go back and reread the Adventures and such for SR1 sometime. It wasn't ED specifically, but there were references to a previous age of Magic.

I always have to point this out, because a lot of folks aren't aware of it, but ED wasn't really designed to be SR's past. That's why there are a number of inconsistancies that have since been explained away due to a "Higher magic level" or "They died off during the downcycle". But close to release, someone at FASA said "Hey, we keep hinting at a past age of magic, why not link our games?"

Immortal Elves were in 1st ed. Horrors were, or at least references to Horror like critters.

<shrug>

Bull
hobgoblin
ah, well nice to have that cleared out.
about hte only copy of earthdawn i have ever read was a html version that came shipped with a magazine i bought ones so i cant say im realy up to speed on the ed/sr links. most of what i have gatherd came from this forum...
Ancient History
SR/ED Connections

</pimping>
hobgoblin
heh, as expected...
Ancient History
<shrug> What can I say? I'm a one-trick pony.
hobgoblin
but its one nice trick wink.gif
Cheops
It's gotten rather blatant with some of the stuff especially with YoTC. Allusions to 5 other magical elements being found along with orichalcum, the return of shadowmants and brithans, filtering/spell matrix metamagic, paths for adepts, etc...
hermit
.... the ED-imported critters ....
JongWK
*cough* Hellcows *cough*
Nikoli
wtf is a hellcow?
Taki
A hell cow is dressed in red because it has sign a pact with the devil
Garland
A cow that gives birth to a large pack of ravenous man-eating young.
Bandwidthoracle
QUOTE (hobgoblin)

Who dosen't like crazy AI? biggrin.gif
Bandwidthoracle
QUOTE (Not of this World)
You're throwing a lot at me that I didn't say or believe I even portrayed.

Of course its subjective. Did Michelangelo create good art? Did SR1 have more of a folklore and cyberpunk feel than SR2?

I never said anything about Mages being all corporate. But read the SR1 literature (and even much after) and you'll find that the logical thinking mind of the mage is much more in agreement. Magic and Machine aren't at war, but there is a choice.

Western nations with their logic, corporations, and mages? or Native American Nations with their respect for nature, Shamans, and Paranormal critters? Cultural Traditions or Technological progress? Man meets Magic and Machine and weaves his way between them.

Late SR2 lost me and many others when everything just kind of became explained away with "Magic". SR4 will lose me just as quick if it tries to explain all of magic away with formulas and tech.

P.S. - Many people seem to think Earthdawn was somehow hinted about from the beginning of SR1. It wasn't. Earthdawn borrowed far more from Shadowrun than Shadowrun every borrowed or tried to make a connection to ED.

I appologise for misinterpeting what you where saying. Somehow I got that you where saying that they where complete opponents in shadworun. Again, I appologise.

I'm not sure SR4 will explain magic away. When I read the whole pick x spirits thing. I was thinking more there where a fixed number per tradition, and you choose which you handeld. So a mage would have a seperate pool to pick from.

At least SR4 (as far as we know) doesn't have any references to Shamanism being a mental disorder? smile.gif
SL James
QUOTE (Bandwidthoracle @ Jul 7 2005, 03:14 PM)
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Jul 7 2005, 03:30 AM)

Who dosen't like crazy AI? biggrin.gif

To be fair, the AI storyline that climaxed with the shutdown began 15 years ago, so it's not like they just decided all of the sudden to make the AEP sentient because the ED ties wound down.
mfb
the ED inclusions in SR3 are more in the vein of lifting cool ideas from a related setting, rather than heavy-handed metaplot stuff. SR2 was all about horror invasions and plots extending back to ED times and all that, making ED and SR strongly-linked settings. this stuff is more low-key and mysterious.

of course, if you really want to combine ED and SR, just run Dawn of Atlantis on a UV host.
Ancient History
QUOTE (JongWK)
*cough* Hellcows *cough*

You have no-where to talk. nyahnyah.gif
Bull
QUOTE (Ancient History)
QUOTE (JongWK @ Jul 7 2005, 08:00 PM)
*cough* Hellcows *cough*

You have no-where to talk. nyahnyah.gif

Exactly, and that's what Mike and later Rob were shooting for. The links still exist. ED is still the 4th world. It's just not a plot issue anymore, but rather background information.

Bull
Kyoto Kid
So, next question... How do the changes to magic affect adepts?
hobgoblin
i dont think it have been coverd. atleast i cant recall reading anything about adepts...

but from what i understood out resident deepthroat was more interested in the tech then the magic...
tisoz
I wonder if we will be getting +2 Swords or +4 Shields? Something that was not possible under the current system. Seems like it would appeal to the new demographic, too.
hobgoblin
ugh...

given how the weapon focus works in sr3 and how the dice system is to be in sr4 i this that its a posibility that we get a kind of +x weapon yes spin.gif
Starglyte
QUOTE (tisoz)
I wonder if we will be getting +2 Swords or +4 Shields? Something that was not possible under the current system. Seems like it would appeal to the new demographic, too.

You say it like its a bad thing. twirl.gif
Synner
QUOTE (tisoz)
I wonder if we will be getting +2 Swords or +4 Shields? Something that was not possible under the current system.

If you mean a Weapon foci which add their Rating to the appropriate Armed Combat skill rating (or in SR4's case dice pool), then I think it's likely. I don't see much difference with regards to SR3 in that respect though.
Eldritch
But will we see magic items usable by mundanes?

Magic shields?

Magic Armor?

Enchanted Missle weapons? (Couldn't bring myself to say M<agic Missle wink.gif )
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012