Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Profesionalism
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
The security guard who was awakened with a stim patch will still have wound modifiers, possibly severe ones.

This is misleading—while it's not as bad as I had thought (I forgot stimpatches capped out at rating 6), all the TN mod does is wipe out the smartlink bonus. We're not talking near-incapacitation here.

~J
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Aug 5 2005, 07:03 PM)
The security guard who was awakened with a stim patch will still have wound modifiers, possibly severe ones.

This is misleading—while it's not as bad as I had thought (I forgot stimpatches capped out at rating 6), all the TN mod does is wipe out the smartlink bonus. We're not talking near-incapacitation here.

~J

That asumes that the security guard has a smartlink.

It also assumes that the only penalities that the guard will fae are world penalties. A smart runner who likes to use chemicals would mix more than one together. Consider Hyper's secondary effects, for extra fun add a dose of Zen to the mix. Combined with Narcojet the cocktail is non-lethal, causing a maximim of S physical damage. However, it will reliably provide +6 modifiers and hallucinations on top of the wound modifiers.

It also assumes that the fluff effects of the wound modifiers won't be significantly alarming to the guard to cause him to get medical attention. The characters don't know how many boxes of damage they have. They just know that they have been injured.

If you club to a character serious stun he doesn't know that he only has serious stun. For all he knows his skull is cracked open or his brain is bleeding. The drugged guard doesn't know that the chemicals he was injected with aren't deadly and he doesn't know that they won't interact badly with his blood-pressure medication, either. He just knows that he feels woozy.

To have characters act as if they know exactly how many wound boxes they ave is metagaming. It is the most common form of metagaming but it is still metagaming. Characters shouldn't know a stun wound from a physical wound unless it is blatently obvious. Characters shouldn't get shot and think, "it is okay, I only have 5 boxes of damage"; they should think, "there shouldn't be a hole there. This is bad."
This goes for both PCs and NPCs.
mmu1
Neither should they think: "Damn... I probably took a Serious there, I only have 4 wound boxes left before I start dying."

People should underestimate how badly they're hurt fairly often, especially when lots of adrenaline or stimulants are involved.
Velocity
Unfortunately, it's very difficult to get away from that without resorting to "hidden" health tracks and obfuscating wound penalties. It makes a lot more work for the GM.
mmu1
QUOTE (Velocity)
Unfortunately, it's very difficult to get away from that without resorting to "hidden" health tracks and obfuscating wound penalties. It makes a lot more work for the GM.

I actually think having hidden health tracks and not letting the players know how badly their characters are hurt is a horrible idea - I was just pointing out the flipside of Hyzmarca's argument, specifically as applied to enemy NPCs.
Velocity
Oh, don't get me wrong--I don't like the idea either. Unfortunately metagaming is, as you pointed out, the inevitable result of players knowing exactly how many hit poi--er, sorry--boxes their charcters have left on their Condition Monitor. It's probably the lesser of two evils.
hyzmarca
You don't need hidden health tracks. You just need players who want to roleplay instead of rollplay. It also helps to have a character who decides to sleep off deadly stun without medical treatment to roll 1ds and on a result of 1 he devolps an blood clot and has a stroke in his sleep, resulting in some physical and mental flaws.

mmu1, you are 100% correct. This is very true during combat. Most people who are stabed or shot doen't even know it untill the adrenaline wears off.

However, I was responding to Kagetenshi's scenario where a guard is knocked unconscious and is later revived to contrinue the pursuit. In this case, the danger has already passed, th ecombat is over. The wounded character should be assessing his wounds before charging headlong into another battle.

After the danger has passed, the adrenalin wears off, and shock begins to set in, wounds often seem worse than they actually are.

mmu1
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
However, I was responding to Kagetenshi's scenario where a guard is knocked unconscious and is later revived to contrinue the pursuit. In this case, the danger has already passed, th ecombat is over. The wounded character should be assessing his wounds before charging headlong into another battle.

I was thinking mainly of the stimpatch scenario, and I stand by what I said in this case - you get 6 (assuming you use the "standard" patch, and there's no real reason for guards to use anything less in a crisis) boxes of stun back - but only for a few minutes, and then you're worse off than you were before.

That's not being carefully revived - that's being injected with some heavy-duty and none too gentle stimulants. If anything, I'd expect the guard to be more aggressive than before, and less logical.
Velocity
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
You don't need hidden health tracks. You just need players who want to roleplay instead of rollplay.

Er... well, no. Regardless of the player's position on the roleplay/rollplay spectrum, having that kind of knowledge (i.e. Condition Monitor) on a piece of paper in front of you means that it will factor into your planning & playing. It's only a question of how much of a role it plays, which is dictated by one's place on the aforementioned spectrum.
Vaevictis
QUOTE (Adarael)
In the US, it's extremely rare for security guards to carry any sort of firearm or deliberately lethal weapon. The only security guards authorized to do so, as far as I recall, are those that work on government commission, such as Wackenhut. That may be California-specific, but I don't believe so.

Heh, last place I worked, we had a pair of security guards watching the place. They were private contractors; they worked for us by day for benefits and were personal bodguards at night for the money.

They were *not* playing around. They were packing, and they were serious. Both were ex-NYC cops, and one was packing a 9mm with laser sight, 15 round clip and hollow point bullets. The other was packing a 9mm with a 15 round clip and black talon bullets. These guys were very simply looking to kill you if they felt they had to fire their gun.

As far as shooting intruders is concerned, in Texas, it's completely legal to shoot anyone on your property if you can show cause to feel threatened. A perfect example of this would be that a few years back, a Japanese exchange student was looking for a party on Halloween. He thought he had the right house, he came to the back door and started pounding to try to get in. The owner told him to go away -- the owner couldn't understand him, nor could the student understand the owner, so the student kept pounding, and the owner kept shouting, and eventually, he shot and killed the kid through the door without ever seeing him. No charges (or was he acquitted? either way...)

The point is, it varies from state to state. California is fairly anti-gun, so it's very restrictive. Places like Florida and Texas, where they're very pro-gun, are not.
mmu1
QUOTE (Vaevictis @ Aug 6 2005, 05:33 PM)
As far as shooting intruders is concerned, in Texas, it's completely legal to shoot anyone on your property if you can show cause to feel threatened.  A perfect example of this would be that a few years back, a Japanese exchange student was looking for a party on Halloween.  He thought he had the right house, he came to the back door and started pounding to try to get in.  The owner told him to go away -- the owner couldn't understand him, nor could the student understand the owner, so the student kept pounding, and the owner kept shouting, and eventually, he shot and killed the kid through the door without ever seeing him.  No charges (or was he acquitted?  either way...)

The version of the story I've ready orginally (this was in '93 or so) is that the guy (who'd supposedly been drinking) didn't bang on the door but entered the wrong house through an open garage, went inside, and surprised a woman who got his husband's '44 revolver and shot him dead.

Though I've seen so many garbled versions of this reported over the years. I'm not really sure which one (if any) is true.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Vaevictis)
As far as shooting intruders is concerned, in Texas, it's completely legal to shoot anyone on your property if you can show cause to feel threatened. A perfect example of this would be that a few years back, a Japanese exchange student was looking for a party on Halloween. He thought he had the right house, he came to the back door and started pounding to try to get in. The owner told him to go away -- the owner couldn't understand him, nor could the student understand the owner, so the student kept pounding, and the owner kept shouting, and eventually, he shot and killed the kid through the door without ever seeing him. No charges (or was he acquitted? either way...)

That was an episode of Homocide: Life on the Street, actually.
Critias
QUOTE (Vaevictis)
They were *not* playing around. They were packing, and they were serious. Both were ex-NYC cops, and one was packing a 9mm with laser sight, 15 round clip and hollow point bullets. The other was packing a 9mm with a 15 round clip and black talon bullets. These guys were very simply looking to kill you if they felt they had to fire their gun.

This might surprise a lot of people -- I hope it doesn't, but it might:

[informative rant]

All bullets suck. If you plan on shooting someone, plan on it being because they should die and plan on them, or you, dying. You do not need hollow points for this. You do not need a fifteen round magazine for this. You are not scary solely because you pack name brand ammo. You do not frighten me because you have a pointy laser light on your gun. Guns are scary as is. Giving details about guns is absolutely not required, in order to end a statement with "these guys were very simply looking to kill you if they felt they had to fire their gun" -- for the simple reason that that's why you would ever fire a gun at someone, period/paragraph.

The name brand, the extended magazine (though not extended all the way, real super ninja pro's would have the +2 mag extension and one in the pipe), the laser sight, the hollow points, the ooh-spooky black talons -- none of those matter. What matters is the gun, and it pointing at a human being, and the belief that only the presence of the doohickeys makes it clear that their intent would be to kill someone, should they fire.

In real life, you don't shoot to wound. Ever. Fifteen rounds or ten, laser sight or not, black talons or hollow points or cheap-ass Wal-Mart ammo. If you put your finger on the trigger, count on someone dying. It's ridiculous to think that only the accessories make it clear that shooting someone is to kill them.

[/informative rant]
FrostyNSO
9mm with laser sight

I hate laser sights. Whenever I see somebody with one I think "Jesus, just use your sights for crying out loud." In the only situation where I could see a laser coming in handy (lowlight), I'd take a set of night sights instead just about any day of the week.
A laser can be used to effectively mark something your trying to show somebody (like out on a hill at night or something), but not so good even for that.

or cheap-ass Wal-Mart ammo

Oh no, that would never be me...neeeevverr.
Vaevictis
Regarding the shot-through-the-door incident, I lived in Houston at the time it happened. It was *all* over the news, with the Japanese embassy throwing a fit over the kid's death, and the locals throwing a fit about the fact that the kid shouldn't have been there in the first place. I'm sure it's not the first and only place it happened, but this wasn't an incident I "heard through the grapevine" so to speak. It was on the evening news every day for several weeks.

With respect to the "doohickeys" on the weapons, no kidding you only shoot someone if you intend to kill them (in fact, first thing I was taught was don't even *point* at something you don't intend to kill). The hollow point bullets and talons only increase lethality by what, 3-5%? The point is, these guys were... what I would call "conspicuously packing." The point (from these guys point of view) is to put out the word that you have weapons and that you're not kidding about it, and thereby to hopefully intimidate potential troublemakers into taking their trouble elsewhere. If you're the average gang-banger or robber who doesn't know a whole lot about firearms, which is going to intimidate you more? The security guard with a revolver, or the guy wearing body armor, and carrying a semi-automatic weapon with an extended clip, laser sight and "special bullets?"

And my point is that these guys were security guards legally carrying what was *not* legal to buy on the street; in that specific locality, clips bigger than I think 10 (or 12?) bullets were not legal, black talons and hollow points were not legal for your average private citizen, but these guys had them legally. ie, security guards *can* carry firearms (in states other than CA), and on top of that, they often have gear that other private citizens aren't supposed to have.
SL James
Security guards in California can carry firearms, and do so quite a bit (it may be more noticeable in Los Angeles only because of how many armed security personnel are in L.A. anyway).
Shrapnel
QUOTE (Vaevictis)
If you're the average gang-banger or robber who doesn't know a whole lot about firearms, which is going to intimidate you more? The security guard with a revolver, or the guy wearing body armor, and carrying a semi-automatic weapon with an extended clip, laser sight and "special bullets?"

I'm not trying to start a flame war, but I have a question.

How would the average gang-banger or robber KNOW that the security guard had "special bullets"?

Do security guards where you come from shout "Stop, or I'll shoot you with Black Talons!"? Or do they have signs that say "Danger: Security carries Black Talons!"?

The only way I can see this happening is if they happen to be looking at the business end of a revolver. eek.gif

As a side note, there is absolutely nothing special about a Black Talon. It is just a hollow point bullet, very similar to most other hollow point ammo on the market. It is not a "cop killer bullet", as it is usually misconstrued to be. Hollow points are LESS likely to penetrate armor. The Black Talon just happens to be a high quality hollow point, but not much different from Gold Dots or XTPs. Just my opinion.

One last note from a member of the gun culture... PLEASE stop calling them "extended" magazines, or "high-capacity" magazines. They are "normal capacity" magazines, as that is what the firearm was originally designed to use. The only real exception would be after-market extended magazines, such as some of the 30 rd. Beretta mags that are available. mad.gif
toturi
A hollow point bullet is designed to release all its kinetic energy into the target. There are some uses for that:

1) The kinetic energy released cause massive trauma, usually more than that of normal jacketed bullets. A hollow point hitting an arm is more likely to tear off that arm than a normal bullet. However, since the bullet is not designed to penetrate, armour is more effective. This is reflected in SR rules.

2) Less chance of overpenetration, although it has been known to happen. But the chances are less likely. This is not reflected in SR rules.
Critias
QUOTE (Shrapnel)
One last note from a member of the gun culture... PLEASE stop calling them "extended" magazines, or "high-capacity" magazines. They are "normal capacity" magazines, as that is what the firearm was originally designed to use. The only real exception would be after-market extended magazines, such as some of the 30 rd. Beretta mags that are available. mad.gif

Well, calling it a high-cap magazine lets people know you're not talking about the retarded 10 round ones (that were all that was available for purchase legally, period, until about a year and a half ago thanks to the bundle of stupidity that was The Man keeping shooters down) -- and, very specifically, if a Glock has the +2 plug, it is higher capacity than the default 15 round. Just clarifying while we speak.

It's not like we're calling them clips, y'know? wink.gif
Vaevictis
QUOTE (Shrapnel)
How would the average gang-banger or robber KNOW that the security guard had "special bullets"?

If you're in the neighborhood long enough, and you tell a few people about it every so often, it eventually gets around.

QUOTE (Shrapnel)
As a side note, there is absolutely nothing special about a Black Talon.

I read some commentary on them stating that the "talons" extend just a bit and have a tendancy to cut nearby flesh when passing through, and that the theory behind them is that there are some wounds where a bullet passes very near to a major blood vessel but just misses it. In some cases, the little bit of extension can apparently make a difference and cut that blood vessel -- so the wound is fatal where it would otherwise not be. (Such cases are admittedly rare, apparently).

That aside, even if you assume that there is no real physical benefit to using the Black Talons, consider the media frenzy about them not so long ago. For purposes of intimidation, that's useful. smile.gif

QUOTE (Shrapnel)

One last note from a member of the gun culture...  PLEASE stop calling them "extended" magazines, or "high-capacity" magazines.  They are "normal capacity" magazines, as that is what the firearm was originally designed to use.

shrug, the way it was explained to me was that they were extended because they were larger than was then legal to buy (even if the firearm was designed for the "extended" magazine). Ask an average person if that qualifies as "extended", and you'll probably find that they think so.

Welcome to the wonderful world of language, where common usage prevails over your sub-culture language every time. If you figure out a way to solve this problem, please let the old school hacker sub-culture know, cause they want their word back something fierce. smile.gif
Kagetenshi
"Extended" they may not be. "High-capacity" is entirely relative to what is considered normal capacity, which may not vary by gun. As an (exaggerated) example, if I use a shotgun that takes two shells, one in each barrel, I'm going to consider the eight-round magazine on a Franchi SPAS-12 to be high-capacity. The fact that it's the standard SPAS-12 magazine capacity is irrelevant.

~J
Talia Invierno
Regarding the shot-through-the-door incident, I lived in Houston at the time it happened. It was *all* over the news, with the Japanese embassy throwing a fit over the kid's death, and the locals throwing a fit about the fact that the kid shouldn't have been there in the first place. I'm sure it's not the first and only place it happened, but this wasn't an incident I "heard through the grapevine" so to speak. It was on the evening news every day for several weeks.

Vaevictis, you might want to write in to Snopes about your direct memories of this. (I too remember the incident, but for me it wasn't local.) I'm thinking it was misidentified on the page. The various contributors to the Snopes pages do slip, sometimes -- heck, I've caught them a time or two -- but at least so far I've noticed they are also willing to backtrack and revise if they receive new, more accurate data.
Kagetenshi
If you'd reread the page you linked to, they cite the incident being discussed as fact while discussing an undetermined but completely separate incident.

~J
Talia Invierno
Last I heard, Houston was not in Louisiana wink.gif
Kagetenshi
Well then, you heard wrong nyahnyah.gif

embarrassed.gif

~J
Shrapnel
QUOTE (Critias)
... -- and, very specifically, if a Glock has the +2 plug, it is higher capacity than the default 15 round.  Just clarifying while we speak.

It's not like we're calling them clips, y'know?  wink.gif

I agree about the +2 extensions, as that is also an aftermarket accessory. If the pistol in question was designed to use them, I would then consider them "normal capacity".

As for the "clips vs. magazines" arguement, I'm saving that one for another day... wink.gif

QUOTE (Vaevictis)
Welcome to the wonderful world of language, where common usage prevails over your sub-culture language every time. If you figure out a way to solve this problem, please let the old school hacker sub-culture know, cause they want their word back something fierce. smile.gif

That's what I'm trying to do, one piece at a time! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Kagentenshi)
"Extended" they may not be. "High-capacity" is entirely relative to what is considered normal capacity, which may not vary by gun. As an (exaggerated) example, if I use a shotgun that takes two shells, one in each barrel, I'm going to consider the eight-round magazine on a Franchi SPAS-12 to be high-capacity. The fact that it's the standard SPAS-12 magazine capacity is irrelevant.

~J

I will agree with you on this point, as "high-capacity" can be a relative term, when comparing different firearms. But, who defines "high-capacity"? Is it the firearms designers, who built the firearm to hold that amount of ammunition, or is it up to the lawmakers who try to ban guns simply based on which ones look the scariest?

It's kind of like saying that any car capable of going over 55 mph is a "high performance" vehicle... nyahnyah.gif
Kagetenshi
Maybe not "high performance", but two days' hard walk in an hour? That's certainly high speed.

That being said, if we leave it up to the designers every magazine will be high capacity. Sounds better on the marketing literature, y'know?

~J
Ed Simons
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Yes, he is. In the second scenario, he's going to slap a stimpatch on the guy and then they're both going to resume trying to kill you. In the first, he might think twice about whether he wants to be there right now.
J

This presumes that:

1) You leave the second security guard conscious.
2) He has a stimpatch.
3) You don't stop him from slapping the stimpatch on his buddy.
4) The guards are kill-crazed fanatics who always fight to the death.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Ed Simons)
This presumes that:

1) You leave the second security guard conscious.

If you don't, it doesn't matter whether or not they think twice about trying to kill you.
2) He has a stimpatch.

Should be standard-issue for anyplace secure enough to matter.
3) You don't stop him from slapping the stimpatch on his buddy.

The only trivial way to do this is to kill one of them.

Not at all, it just presumes that the site is important enough that they're in place to stop intruders as opposed to vaguely slowing them down.

~J
tisoz
QUOTE (mmu1)
That's not really what I meant - I was still talking about the risks involved in killing a Johnson.

A highly competent corporate scientist is a very valuable employee - much more so than a typical Johnson. It's not unheard of for runners to get a job involving the kidnapping or killing of such a valuable asset, and such a job is not a death sentence, despite the amount of damage being done to a corportation. Why then, would killing a Johnson - who might be important but is actually more likely to simply be a low-level employee tasked with this sort of dirty work, or a prefessional face - pose such a huge threat to the runners? Sure, if they make a habit of killing Johnsons it'll make it rather hard to get work and eventually someone might take notice and react in a very negative way, but it's not a big deal in and of itself.

Once you get involved in the shadows, you're fair game, just like everyone else - that suit is not a magical cloak of invincibility.

The distinction is in who decided or ordered the hit.

In the case of being hired to kill or extract the scientist, the runners are just a tool. There is someone at another level that would shoulder the burden of responsibility for ordering the action. This is the whole reason shadowrunners can exist and not be exterminated after every job. They are just the means someone employed to attain a result.

Shadowrunners deciding on their own to kill a Johnson bear the responsibility for making the decision. There is no other mastermind behind the operation. When the Johnson's employer goes looking for who ordered or authorized the action, it is going to land on the runners head. They are no longer deniable assets that have value as tools for everyone but are now just pests that need exterminated.
mmu1
QUOTE (tisoz @ Aug 10 2005, 07:54 AM)
In the case of being hired to kill or extract the scientist, the runners are just a tool.  There is someone at another level that would shoulder the burden of responsibility for ordering the action.  This is the whole reason shadowrunners can exist and not be exterminated after every job.  They are just the means someone employed to attain a result.

Huh...? Using shadowrunners is actually the definition of avoiding responsibility for your actions.

No one is "shouldering" anything - no one ever admits to using runners, the idea of some suit actually assuming the burden of a run (aside from having to explain the money and resources spent on it to his own superiors) is absurd.

So is the idea that some sort of corporate honor code exists, preventing corps from going after runners because they suspect it's really a rival corporation that's at fault. (if it was a professional, successful run, they won't know who really is at fault) Whether a corp will go after runners (assuming it's acting rationally) is affected by the same things everything else a corp does is affected by: cost effectiveness, security, public image - in short, the bottom line.
Angelone
That's what misdirection for. You decide to off a J. You make it look like you were hired for a hit, even though you just didn't like the fact that he wore white after labor day and popped him.

EDIT- Was replying to tisoz but got lag from hell and Didn't see Mmu 1's post.
Jrayjoker
As has been said, offing employers is a gamble. If you kill off too many, then there is no income source. If you kill off too few, they get uppity.

In my games, offing the one-time Johnson for a perceived betrayal would probably go over very poorly unless there were extenuating circumstances. Offing a long-term Johnson would carry a much higher risk. Your fixer is going to take a hit of you interrupt one of his main income sources, and you aren't going to work for a while.

In short, it better be worth it.
Kagetenshi
To put it another way—it's probably a good idea to ask if the guy's one of the Fixer's regular contacts. If no, he's fair game. If yes, the bar gets set a bit higher.

~J
Talia Invierno
Huh...? Using shadowrunners is actually the definition of avoiding responsibility for your actions.
- mmu1

Slight rephrasing: using shadowrunners is the definition of a corporation avoiding direct accountability for their actions.

But all actions have consequences, and someone, somewhere, can always find out who was hired to do what, and by whom ...
Kagetenshi
Again, not if the run is set up properly. The entire point is to prevent organizations with incredibly vast resources from being able to track back the actions.

~J
Clyde
Or to make it not cost effective to track those actions. . . Actuaries can do wonders these days
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

Not at all, it just presumes that the site is important enough that they're in place to stop intruders as opposed to vaguely slowing them down.

~J

If this were the case, it is more likely that the guards would simply call in backup before proceding after the runners. Calling in backup would be SOP. The injured guard would probably be given medical attention while a SWAT team goes after the runners.

As for killing Johnsons. Either make it very public or incinerate the body. Loss of rep is bad. Being eaten by a Master Shedim is worse.
imperialus
Personally I see Johnson’s as a sort of fixer for the corps. Sure you are going to get the occasional one who is just some ticked off hubby who wants his cheating wife dead or a middle manager who knows the only way up the ladder is if the rung above him becomes vacant but if you ask me when it is an actual corp job then the corps are going to employ a Johnson from a list of trusted agents who have knowledge of the shadow community and a rep developed within that community. The corps also know that Shadowrunners like it or not fill a valuable roll within their culture and will pay and treat them as such. The first few runs are likely to be the ones you are most likely to get screwed over on since the characters don't have much of a rep and thus the team’s fixer is more likely to set them up with the Johnson’s who don't have a rep.

Everyone has to start at the bottom somewhere and lets face it beginning runners might have to deal with a Johnson who's knowledge of the shadow community comes from watching Dateline which of course is going to focus on the worst aspects of runner culture including the teams that screw the pooch and end up with half of Seattles Lone Star FRT's responding. The best runs never make the news. The runner’s world is a vicious one and only the strongest, smartest and fastest survive. I expect most fixers have rolodexes filled with the obituaries of dead runners they hooked up but I'd also expect that 99% of those dead runners were on their first or second run.

Once a team has pulled a few simpler runs without royal fuckups it is easier for a Fixer to justify hooking them up with a Johnson that he knows and knows well. A runner team, praticularly an inexperianced one is a great deal easier to replace than a well-connected Johnson and the fixer knows this, thus he saves his best contracts for the best teams in his stable.

A fixers rep might take a bit of a hit for getting a team fresh off the streets killed but imagine how much bigger a hit his rep would take if he hooked them up with one of Renraku's favorite Johnson only to have them bring an Ares Alpha and Light Combat Armour to a meet in a nice restaurant and gun down the bus boy along with a half dozen patrons when they try and take it away from him.

It would be even worse if in order to give the new team the job with the aforementioned Johnson he gave one of his best teams a job with the ticked off hubby who then gets cold feet and calls the Star on them at the last minute.

On the flip side if he hooks up the new team with a questionable Johnson and they go gun crazy and kill him or completely bugger the run it's not such a big deal either. The Johnson had no real rep with the shadow community and the Fixer can just refuse to deal with the team again while posting a warning on Shadowland that they are not to be trusted. If he’s feeling particularly nasty he might keep them on file just in case he gets a call from a Johnson looking for some fodder to serve as a diversion for a real run. The fixer really doesn't need to worry too much about the new team coming after him since quite often fixers are retired runners and probably has more tricks up his sleve than an hooker. Besides any fixer that gives out his home address or phone number to a new runner is just as stupid as a runner giving out his LTG.

At the same time since he gave a prime run to a good team that he trusts he can probably count on it being carried out quietly and professionally, which will improve his rep.
fistandantilus4.0
I think what Talia is saying is that there's little point in going after the runners in most cases for a run, becuase they don't have any info on who the Johnson is, so there's no point in moving against them. If it's likely that they do on the other hand, hell yes the corps going to go after them to get what they took back (or whatever ). Where in the case of Runners cacking Mr. Johnson, they do know who is wholly responsible, and can therefore take action, just like they would if there was reason to believe the runners employer could be traced through them in the case of a normal run.
tisoz
That is what I was getting at, too.

I fail to see how Ares could not figure out that Renraku stole their prototype or extracted scientist X, when Renraku releases the product based on the prototype or scientist X's work (or scientist X gains acclaim for Renraku for making some breakthrough.)

I am pretty sure I recall reading how the corporate court could require Renraku to compensate Ares in some way to avoid corporate hostility over incidents like this. Usually the corps were said to offer compensation on their own to avoid a corporate court decision.

Whatever, it seems mmu1, and some others, envision their universe operating on different principles than I. When I join a group or game, I try to ferret out these assumptions. It is why peoples ideas of professionalism in this thread are varying a bit.
Shadow
When SR first came out they pretty much said the Shadowrunners were not held responsible for the actions of other corps. If Ares hired a group to hit Renraku, Renraku didnt get revenge on the runners but Ares.

It had to do with knowing, but not proving.

You can know that Ares is behind it, but you can't prove it. Now if Ares used in house Spec Ops to do it, and one got captured there would be a line back to Ares. But if they use shadowrunners the line stops with them.

They even said that Corps wouldn't take out a sr team because they had the philosophy of using that team against another corp.

Now that was a while ago and we have all grown up a but. This idea in the real world seems a little naive. The corp with the same power as a govt. would take out the runner, her family, and hell, her dog too. But in the universe of Shadowrun, they don't do that. It is like watching a movie. you have to suspend your disbelief.
hyzmarca
Corps usually know who went after them but usualy can't provide any substantial supporting evidence. Evidence matters. The Corporate Court won't make a judgement based on insubstantial allegations.

Public retribution without CC sanction would probably result in that corp becoming the Sixth World's Iraq. Not even a AAA can stand for long when all 9 other AAAs are legaly obliged to wage war agaisnt it.

The point of using shadowruners isn't anonymity; the point is deniability.

QUOTE (Shadow)

Now that was a while ago and we have all grown up a but. This idea in the real world seems a little naive. The corp with the same power as a govt. would take out the runner, her family, and hell, her dog too. But in the universe of Shadowrun, they don't do that. It is like watching a movie. you have to suspend your disbelief.

It isn't naive. Government agencies make deals with criminals all the time. Usually, they do so because it save them time and money. Other times, they do so because that criminal is an important asset and his or her value outweighs the crimes that have been commited.

For the Megacorp it is a matter of cost vs benefit. Nothing is gained by killing them except spreading word that secret item X was stolen in the first place. This results in a drop in stock prices. It seems to me that most megacorps would want to keep the fact that the runners broke into their facility on the QT, DL, HH, or whatever the frag they keep it on in the Sixth World. Often, there is more to be saved by covering up the run than there is by going after the runners.

The runners, if caught, could be useful assets, as well. Today, companies hire ex-crackers to test their computer security. Some companies use former professional thieves to test site security. The logic is that a cracker will know what vulnerabilities a crcker looks for and a thief will know what vulnerabilities a thief looks for. Extending this logic to the Sixth World, a runner knows what vulnerabilities a runner looks for. More importantly, if a runner can break into your top secret facility he can probably do the same to the other guy's top secret facility.

If a corp decides to go after a runnr it probably won't be to kill him. Insted, it will be to saddle him with the corporate sellout flaw, accompanied with the cranial bomb flaw if necessary.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012