Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Criminals or Terrorists
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
hyzmarca
Legally definingall Shadowrunners as terrorists would be bad for those who hire Shadowrunners, which includes every lawmaking entity in the world.
toturi
Unless they defined it with an "Except in this case,..."
nezumi
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Legally definingall Shadowrunners as terrorists would be bad for those who hire Shadowrunners, which includes every lawmaking entity in the world.

I think this sort of feeds into that whole 'why Johnsons stay anonymous'.

Are you suggesting it would be GOOD to define Shadowrunners as across the board non-terrorists? Is any corporation going to say 'oh yes, they destroyed five levels of Seattle General, but it's not terrorism!' Or will they say 'terrorists struck Seattle General, destroying five levels. We are doing our upmost to track down these terrible crimnals.' Then make the token effort and not achieve anything, since it was your bumbling runners who accidentally torched four more levels than they were supposed to in the first place?
hyzmarca
I think the best corporate and government policy regarding Shadowrunners is a simple one, they do not exist. They are an urban myth perpetuated and popularized by the mass media. They are no more real than hook-handed seriel killers who terrorize teenagers as they make out.

Now, there are criminals who sometimes do terrible things for money, but those criminals certain aren't Shadowrunners and they certainly aren't employed by ay corporation or nation.

I very much doubt any corporation would have need to chime in on the destruction of 5 floors of Seatle General, except Lone Star. Lone Star couls easily classify the runners as psycologically disturbed arsonists with no motive except for the pleasure of watching it burn. Certainly, it would things easier. If the runners were paid Lone Star would have to make some atempt to arest the Johnson who is hiding out on extrateritorial property and then some attempt to arrest whoever gave the Johnson his orders. It would be a PR snafu for all involved.
nezumi
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
I very much doubt any corporation would have need to chime in on the destruction of 5 floors of Seatle General, except Lone Star. Lone Star couls easily classify the runners as psycologically disturbed arsonists with no motive except for the pleasure of watching it burn.

Well, except for Seattle General. And Renraku, who has several notable people who died horribly in the fire. And Aztechnology, who lost a special research project they'd sunk $5M in. And Bob's Eat 'N Go, whose manager and owner now has to call in sick for the next two weeks to bury his wife. And...

I think the best corporate and government policy regarding Shadowrunners is a simple one, they do not exist.

I agree, no one will say 'SHADOWRUNNERS did this!' Or, "the people who did this were hired by Renraku, and therefore aren't terrorists'. They'll simply say 'terrorists did this, we send our condolences to everyone who was hurt or lost family in this terrible tragedy,' even if Renraku was the one who is telling this to their own employees.

In other words, Shadowrunners will still be labeled as terrorists, contrary to your earlier post.
hyzmarca
Pyromaniacs are easier to pass off to the public than terrorists. When Mr. I.M.A. Lone Pyromanic kills hundreds with hi blaze he can be executed and everyone gets closure. If it was terrorists, then there is obviously a group of them. It there is a group, then you have to spend resources to track down and destroy the rest of the orginization. This is rather difficult when the orginization doesn't exist or, worse, you are the orginization.

There is a reason why JFK and MLK were killed by lone gunmen and not terrorists. The government couldn't afford to manufacture an entire terrorist orginization. Manufacturing a lone gunman is much easier.

nezumi
So are you saying the una-bomber, the DC sniper and the sneaker bomber weren't terrorists? Because, if memory serves, each of them was found guilty of terrorism and none of them were part of a greater organization.
Jrayjoker
I think they were found guilty of terroristic threats and actions, a fine point. <shrug>
hyzmarca
QUOTE (nezumi @ Aug 17 2005, 03:17 PM)
So are you saying the una-bomber, the DC sniper and the sneaker bomber weren't terrorists?  Because, if memory serves, each of them was found guilty of terrorism and none of them were part of a greater organization.

They weren't presented to the public as terrorists. They were presented to the public as lone nuts. Terroristic threat charges were just a way for the prosecuters to kick their hoops harder. They also serve as a safty net incase the jury decises to acquit on the other charges for some reason.

Also, terroristic threats aren't the same as terrorism. If I tell you that I am going to punch you in the face I am guilty of making terroristic threats. I'm also probably guilty of assualt. I don't think anyone would define that as terrorism, however.
Ed_209a
I think it all boils down to intention.

In all the SR games I have run or played in, the people do what they do because someone is willing to pay them to do it, and they cannot/will not earn money from their skills any other way. This is the stereotypical SR game.

The lack of politics or ideology as the reason for commiting crimes makes them criminals in my book.

A terrorist may hire runners to blow up a post office, then make a phone call claiming it for the Peoples Whatever of Whoever. The runners are criminals, working for a terrorist. They are only a tool the terrorist uses to spread fear among the populace of his enemy.
hobgoblin
looks more like, if its a group of people thats doing it in a coordinated fashion, then its terrorism. if its one 1-2 going it alone then they are criminaly insane. and its some kids going on a killing spree in their local area, its a tragedy and a failure of the community to help them before it got that far.

thats the fun thing about political labels, they have a bad habbit of changing what they stand for depending on the people that do it and who it affects...
Talia Invierno
So maybe the initial question is altogether meaningless, except insofar as we temporarily adopt the pov (and thus definitions) of one of the Seattle Powers-That-Be ...
Edit: meaningless, that is, unless you're caught.
- Talia Invierno 

I personally took that as the original question of the forum.
- nezumi

That was the intent, yes. Thanks for reading my mind smile.gif (since I can't seem to express it accurately through writing).

If we're not looking at the practical charge laid and/or punishment pov; or, alternately, at the PR spin given the outcome/consequences of actions taken during shadowruns; then we're starting to get back into absolutes of Right and Wrong again: but this time with our personal weltanschauungen framing what we're willing to let ourselves see and/or accept.

That leaves us exactly one half-step away from what generally seems to pass for debate, these days.
The lack of politics or ideology as the reason for commiting crimes makes them criminals in my book.
- Ed_209a

Hmm ... that's a more slippery one than it appears on the surface. There's a fair amount of belief out there that the only thing keeping people from committing crimes (usually to benefit themselves) is not politics or ideology, but fear of punishment. (Not a pov I subscribe to in its entirety btw, although as with most things it has an element of truth.) Take away the risk: and are we suddenly left with a planet full of criminals?

hobgoblin: nothing easier than to define whatever doesn't seem to fit within the familiar paradigm as some variant of irrational, negating all requirement to think any further.
hobgoblin
err, sorry?
Talia Invierno
1. Once assigned, the connotations of the label provide all the information/baggage required. Whatever label is currently being worked with -- almost invariably from the outside -- negates all requirement to think any further about what is involved. (Especially useful when dealing with the press.)

2. To call something a "tragedy" or "criminally insane" (or, for that matter, "terrorism") also states at a very basic level whether something can be understood or should be understood: ie. whether the actions/perpetrators have any place in the rational paradigm of the law-abiding majority and (if yes) what that place is to be.

That last is where the politics come into it: and I'd suggest that the change is based not so much on the people who do it or who it affects, but on the weltanschauung of those assigning the labels. Consider your example of the kids as "tragedy". What does this perception say about the people who choose to name this so? What does this say about the possibility of (either positive or negative) change re similar situations in future? For that matter: what -- inherent to the word itself -- gives any sense of rationality about either action or situation or the kids themselves?
hobgoblin
so basicly, by selecting the label, they put colored glasses on the publics perception of a event?

so by labeling something a act of terrorism the person(s) that performed the act should be hated and destroyed.

but by labeling the event as a tragedy the person(s) involved should be understood and shown sympathy...

ill have to remember that wink.gif

no wonder the line between a true monarchy and a true dictatorship is so small silly.gif
Crusher Bob
Of course the words define the events:

Consider if I created an opinion poll that asks the following question:

Do you support sending more troops to Iraq, to fight a war that kills {X} innocent Iraqis each day?

or

Do you support sending more troops to Iraq, to fight the insurgents, which kill {X} innocent Iraqis each day?

The questions are highly similar, but which one do you think will get a positive response. This is one of the reasons why it is so easy to skew survey results. Unless the survey questions are exquisitely 'neutral' there will be a bias in the answers, based solely on the wording of the question, not on the underlying situation that the question is asking about.

This is why groups tend to be so picky about the labels that get attached to them.

Part of this is also the ;victory writes the history books’ phenomena. Asking your random street goer in the West about the Blitz of London (they say it was a bad thing) ask them about the bombing of Dresden and most will say ‘huh?’ and if you explain that it was a city in Nazi Germany, their likely response will be ‘oh, that’s ok then’.
Nikoli
You know, I almost got this confused with the bombing of Guernica, then I decided to double check my tired little brain. Man, that's harsh. While it doesn't excuse the tactic, the Nazi's were engaging in similair tactics at that point in the Blitz.
I'm glad that the specific targeting of general civilian populations was outlawed in the years following WWII. And before someone thinks they know the US targets civilians in Iraq, remember, the US soldiers fighting there are taking and have taken great pains to avoid civilian casualities, except where inaction will have worse consequences.
Also, it is nearly impossible to determine bombers from civilians before it is too late, that makes trusting your gut important.
If a situation is "off" to you, you're probably going to be over cautious with the lives of your unit and the people that you are protecting behind you and fire on someone that is not necessarily making hostile actions but may nevertheless be a threat.
toturi
QUOTE (Nikoli)
If a situation is "off" to you, you're probably going to be over cautious with the lives of your unit and the people that you are protecting behind you and fire on someone that is not necessarily making hostile actions but may nevertheless be a threat.

The problem with that is that you tend to be triggerhappy. But having been an infantryman, I can understand perfectly that kind of attitude, especially since standard doctrine teaches you not to take chances(at least my military was taught that, helps if your army consists primarily of citizen militia).
DrJest
It's all going to be situational, tbh. Different teams, different MO's, different perceptions from the outside.

Team A are espionage/infiltrator types who run clinically precise extractions using careful Matrix overwatch, forged ID's and meticulous research. Casualties on their runs are limited, property damage is minor. External perception: criminals.

Team B are ex-military grunts who also run extractions, but their technique is to stage demolition works to distract the majority of the security force then move through the remainder with ruthless efficiency until they reach and extract their target. Casualties and property damage are both high. External perception: terrorists.

Both teams are highly professional in their sphere of operations (in case I wasn't clear on Team B), but perceptions of them will vary wildly. Lone Star, especially, are going to treat the two very differently, in particular when it comes to the aforementioned trade of leniency for work.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
Part of this is also the ;victory writes the history books’ phenomena. Asking your random street goer in the West about the Blitz of London (they say it was a bad thing) ask them about the bombing of Dresden and most will say ‘huh?’ and if you explain that it was a city in Nazi Germany, their likely response will be ‘oh, that’s ok then’.

heh, and just the other night national geographic channel was running a two parter about the end of the pacific war.

there they had about the firebombing of tokyo and a comment from lemay. basicly he said that if the US had lost he would have been put on war trails...

there was allso some program about the space race that commented about von braun and other former nazi scientists had their backgrounds, or parts of it, coverd up so as to not get a PR backlash. hell, from what i understood the current US policy at the time was to not give ex-nazi people work. talk about the ends justifying the means cyber.gif
nezumi
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (nezumi @ Aug 17 2005, 03:17 PM)
So are you saying the una-bomber, the DC sniper and the sneaker bomber weren't terrorists?  Because, if memory serves, each of them was found guilty of terrorism and none of them were part of a greater organization.

They weren't presented to the public as terrorists. They were presented to the public as lone nuts.

Err... Yes, they really were. Speaking as a government worker who lost comrades in Oklahoma city, and someone who lives in the DC area where the sniper was killing people, I really think I ought to know this too. They WERE presented as terrorists. The sniper not so much, but once he got to court they were all over it. The unabomber from the very beginning.

Also, terroristic threats aren't the same as terrorism. If I tell you that I am going to punch you in the face I am guilty of making terroristic threats. I'm also probably guilty of assualt. I don't think anyone would define that as terrorism, however.

Actually, yes, it is. Although punching someone in the face (even actually doing it) is probably not really terrorism, although perhaps a hate crime. If I send a bomb threat to a school with political motivations, that *IS* terrorism, they *WILL* take me to jail and they *WILL* try me as a terrorist. Why would you ever think otherwise?
Talia Invierno
Because (I would hope!) that all our perceptions of what constitutes "terrorism", "criminality", or what in these specific cases is termed "insanity" (you'll notice that neither of those mentioned got off on a Not Guilty Due To Insanity plea) are necessarily external.

[edit: in other words, we apply these labels to others, not ourselves.]

We're the observers in these cases, not the actors -- and because external assessments have never been objective, how observations are interpreted is necessarily highly regional in nature. Someone from the District of Columbia (one of the target zones at the time) will have a very different perception of what these people were than someone watching from Washington State (let alone from Hong Kong).

[Edit: And that's quite apart from which particular media filtre a person chooses to translate current events for them.]
nezumi
QUOTE (Talia Invierno @ Aug 18 2005, 09:13 AM)
Because (I would hope!) that all our perceptions of what constitutes "terrorism", "criminality", or what in these specific cases is termed "insanity" (you'll notice that neither of those mentioned got off on a Not Guilty Due To Insanity plea) are necessarily external.

[edit: in other words, we apply these labels to others, not ourselves.]

I am not following the purpose of your post at all.

You hope that how we define words is based upon our defining them for other people? Why? If I'm jaywalking, I realize that's a misdemeanor and therefore a criminal act. I realize my phobia of hieghts is a psychological defect (perhaps not full blown 'insanity', but similar).

We're the observers in these cases, not the actors -- and because external assessments have never been objective

Are you suggesting that the sniper, because HE was the sniper, knew better than us whether he was criminally insane? That someone with the subjective view is more objective than the 'external' view? If ANYONE has a more 'objective' view, it should probably be the more external one, that's what 'objective' means, you know. The hitch is that we can never be completely 'external'.

how observations are interpreted is necessarily highly regional in nature.

So are you suggesting that to someone in Hong Kong the unabomber DIDN'T explode a bomb outside of a building for political reasons, and therefore WASN'T a terrorist by International law? Or that for someone in Washington state the DC sniper was not tried and found guilty of being a terrorist under the US penal code? Are you suggesting that to someone in Tokyo, the sniper did NOT kill a dozen people across two states and a federal district, did not cause fear and did not strictly and clearly meet the requirements for finding someone guilty as a terrorist?
Birdy
This get's a bit US-centric and let's face it, the US has currently a massiv dose of "Terrorist paranoia". Let's take a look at the rest of the world (Each nation please chip in, we should be an international group)

+ The Brits had a long time terrorist problem (IRA). Did they consider it terrorist or criminal when someone:

- Kills another due to racistic reasons?
- Kills a number of children
- Pulls of a major robbery against the Bank of England

+ Italy has both the "Red Brigades" and the Mafia. How do they handle

- Mafia killing of "attorneys of state"(Staatsanwalt) and Judges
* Using huge! bombs

+ Germany has it's RAF as well as it's right/left wing stupidity cases

- Rassit crime (including murder) is still handled as a crime (Lokal cops)
* This includes bombing

+ Spain (Basques)

+ Russia (Tschetchenians and the Organitska)

+ France (Action Directe) and lot's of racist problems

Let's get this back from the "US" and more to a general overview. Might help

Birdy

Talia Invierno
I'm suggesting that each societal structure will have their own definition for what constitutes each of those labels (which may or may not be agreed to by the majority btw, even in a representative government). The societal structure -- be it a particular national government (one can't say "country" here: anyone know any single country that's utterly united in its opinions?), or political party, or a small group of friends -- will assign the label, based on how they choose to see the world.

How the person committing the action sees themself is completely irrelevant to the label others place upon him or her. That's what I mean by external.

What the person committing the action actually is, is also somewhat irrelevant to the label others place upon him or her. The action prompts the label; but the actual label chosen suits the purposes of the labeller, not those of the person committing the action.

International law, like any law, is a very gray area: and somewhat grayer now that we know it is possible to "un-sign" a treaty.
nezumi
So you're saying, because we don't all share precisely the same definition, that there's no reason to even try, much less reference widely held sources as a standard?

Of course, we COULD debate if Shadowrunners are terrorists based on the view of say the people in Atzlan, or in the eyes of the Immortal Elves, but really, why should we care? There are only a three groups I see as mattering in this question:

1) The Shadowrunners view of themselves. I doubt most of them see themselves as terrorists, but even if we do, this is a silly question. Ask the runner and he'll tell you.

2) The Shadowrunners compatriots and neighbors. This is the only place you're going to get a wide range of opinions. They might see them as freedom fighters or mercenaries or whatever. But they're split on their opinions and really, difficult for us to put under a category. I'm not letting myself get pulled into that debate because it's fruitless and silly.

3) The eyes of the political organization that would prosecute them (and possibly the eyes of the organization that hired them.) Since Shadowrun is based in Seattle, using the laws of a descendant of the US, I think it's fair to use the US penal system for a relatively objective view of if they're terrorists. Under the conditions I stated earlier, they will likely be labeled as terrorists (and with good reason!) I suspect most megacorps will, barring exceptions, follow similar rules for defining such things.

If you'd like to argue they're not terrorists from the point of view of a tribe of Indians deep in the Amazon, you're welcome to. Simply understand there DO exist some relevant measures of conduct (US Law, Geneva conventions and the laws of other industrialized nations) and, for the most part, there's an awful lot of agreement between them.
Talia Invierno
Except, of course, that UCAS law doesn't apply to most of the places shadowrunners normally do their business within Seattle. (Extraterritoriality.)

Other people in this thread have already mentioned that the hiring corp might have reason to spin things differently than the attacked corp, let alone a "neutral" third party. (In other words re #3: similar rules perhaps, but different purposes in applying them -- and thus, quite probably, different outcomes and consequences.) Since "terrorism" is only a label (like "privateering" for that matter -- had that one been brought up in this thread yet?), is there any relevance to finding a common standard where the consequences of imposing that standard are not personally relevant? ie. does any definition really matter except the one under which the shadowrunners are prosecuted?

If no absolute objective answer can be achieved that absolutely correlates label with "fact", do you interpret this as abandoning the question?
hobgoblin
so, terrorists are allso criminals, but criminals dont have to be terrorists silly.gif
nezumi
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
Except, of course, that UCAS law doesn't apply to most of the places shadowrunners normally do their business within Seattle. (Extraterritoriality.)

Presumably there is a strong correlation, since the corps draw their basis for laws on their home countries, and have similar needs. Certainly, rampant destruction is not something they're interested in encouraging. I see no reason to suppose that the term 'terrorism' will come to encompass LESS activity than it currently does. Rather, I see it as a useful term to put on any violent criminal you happen not to like, so it'll encompass far more people (including, frequently, shadowrunners). The only reason why they might do otherwise would be if it's their runners, but then if they're willing to publicly label a runner as a 'good guy' (or at least run contrary to the opinion of their competitors), wouldn't that do something to hurt that whole plausible deniability thing?

I would, in fact, expect the hiring corp to claim the runners are just as bad as what anyone else would say they are, if not worse. To do otherwise would imply that I approve of their actions and I perhaps even encouraged them to engage in illegal activities against my competitors.

does any definition really matter except the one under which the shadowrunners are prosecuted?

If not, why are you arguing anything but the laws of the victimized corp/nation the crime took place in matter? Why would Renraku possibly argue the firebombing of the arcology was anything BUT terrorism? Why would Aztechnology, who hired the runners, want to say it wasn't terrorism and agree with Renraku that this is a horrible crime, and Aztechnology would share any information they found in regards to these heinous criminals?

Of course, if Renraku hired some runners against Renraku it might be a different matter. If Aztechnology were starting an all-out war on Renraku it might be different. If Renraku were firebombing Bob's House o' Burgers it might be different. If the attack demolished five blocks of downtown Renton it might be different. But the vast majority of shadowruns probably don't fall into those categories, and so if Renraku can use the term 'terrorist' to help the bottom line in any way, they can and will.

If no absolute objective answer can be achieved that absolutely correlates label with "fact", do you interpret this as abandoning the question?

Is it ever possible to 'factually' determine the difference between terrorist and freedom fighters? Heck, is it ever possible to determine it's an absolute fact that a crime was even committed? Most likely not. We simply have to go with the most likely, most appropriate explanation.
Talia Invierno
Almost, what hobgoblin said ... so long as each term is applied from the same reference point spin.gif (If it isn't, then we run straight into nezumi's three points.)
Presumably there is a strong correlation, since the corps draw their basis for laws on their home countries, and have similar needs.
- nezumi

Actually, they don't: and logically no megacorp would. (They don't have a home country either, not anymore ... although megacorps such as Ares create a good illusion of one in places such as Detroit.) And thus not only would there probably not be a strong correlation, there would be almost zero correlation except in those few cases where nation-state law and corporate profit-interest happen to coincide.

Megacorporations are assumed to run on an almost-pure laissez-faire capitalist structure (with a healthy injection of dirty tricks, keeping the shadowrunners in business). Human welfare, let alone human rights, are not high on this agenda, valued only to optimal pareto cost-effectiveness. (One hopes that this would be completely unlike the basis for the laws of countries.) Maximising human consumption is the apex.

Much of the rest ... well, there's already been a few requests in the thread for keeping the discussion less United States specific: and that last post very much is. (The sheer strength of a river is difficult to sense when one is being swept along by it without resisting it: one must first seek a reference point outside the river to perceive it at all.) I'd address more of it, if I could without drawing the thread deeper into current United States specific policy and perspective. We don't want that for this thread, do we?
If not, why are you arguing anything but the laws of the victimized corp/nation the crime took place in matter? Why would Renraku possibly argue the firebombing of the arcology was anything BUT terrorism? ...  Why would Aztechnology, who hired the runners, want to say it wasn't terrorism and agree with Renraku that this is a horrible crime

I think this one should be safe enough to address though:

First, there was only one Renraku Arcology incident. Nothing else in Seattle has yet touched the same scale.

Second, there must be agreement on what exactly was the horrible crime: which determines what are acceptable and justifiable measures to resolve its consequences.

Knowing that Deus does exist: what measures are justifiable to get rid of it? After all, absolute quarantine plus the detonation of a small nuclear device was considered justified in Chicago to deal with the bugs. What's a small firebombing by the corp's own security, when the corp nobly sacrificed its own assets in order to save the city of Seattle, Matrix and all, from being infiltrated by a near-sentient computer virus?

That's one spin by Renraku itself, on the most extreme thing yet existing in Seattle. Another might be that Aztechnology stepped in to save Seattle from something of Renraku's own creation. (Depends how much and what kind of information on Deus could be acquired/created/allowed to slip into the public domain.) Did you want others?

Still, as you point out, "the vast majority of shadowruns probably don't fall into those categories", and I'll agree with that unequivocably.
and Aztechnology would share any information they found in regards to these heinous criminals

Ah, now, this is a very different point. Nothing in any of the definitions of criminality and/or terrorism require any sharing of information by the PTBs unless they happen to agree that X is not only a criminal/shadowrunner, but that they themselves could not make any use whatsoever of X.
Heck, is it ever possible to determine it's an absolute fact that a crime was even committed?

Assuming the social structure in question has a solid code of what constitutes "crime", I'd actually say 'yes' to this: but again specifically within that frame of reference. If you want a counterexample, consider how "Thou shalt not kill" applies to warfare.
We simply have to go with the most likely, most appropriate explanation.

I suspect really the only point I'm trying to make through all this is that the most likely, most appropriate explanation isn't necessarily the one which happens to fit any one person's personal paradigm ... and it doesn't necessarily belong to the majority either. (How many people either don't vote voluntarily or are otherwise involuntarily disenfranchised? How many people voted for parties that have no effective power? "Majority" government is a slippery word.)
Birdy
QUOTE (nezumi)

<cut>
So are you suggesting that to someone in Hong Kong the unabomber DIDN'T explode a bomb outside of a building for political reasons, and therefore WASN'T a terrorist by International law?  Or that for someone in Washington state the DC sniper was not tried and found guilty of being a terrorist under the US penal code?  Are you suggesting that to someone in Tokyo, the sniper did NOT kill a dozen people across two states and a federal district, did not cause fear and did not strictly and clearly meet the requirements for finding someone guilty as a terrorist?

I re-checked and the answer is YES, out of your three examples only one was considered a terrorist

The UnaBomber was considered a lone madman

Once it was clear the Washington sniper had no connections he/they was/where again considered criminals, maybe insane criminals but not terrorists

Only McVeight(sp?) and the others where considered terrorists.

The main difference: McVeight and company where an organised group and part of a larger (not always aggressive) anti central-government underground. So the difference is the "group" link as well as the concept of an existing and supporting underground. Think IRA and ShinFein(sp, the political arm), Palestinensian "Intifada" and Hamas, german RAF and the "68er"

Birdy
Panzergeist
Criminals. They aren't terrorists, because they are just working to earn money. Terrorists, as the name suggests, try to cause mass terror in order to coerce people into doing something that they want.
Penta
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
Assuming the social structure in question has a solid code of what constitutes "crime", I'd actually say 'yes' to this: but again specifically within that frame of reference. If you want a counterexample, consider how "Thou shalt not kill" applies to warfare.

Amusingly, in the original Hebrew, it doesn't come out as "kill".

It comes out as "murder".

So, it's not Thou Shalt Not Kill.

It's Thou Shalt Not Murder.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (nezumi)

I would, in fact, expect the hiring corp to claim the runners are just as bad as what anyone else would say they are, if not worse. To do otherwise would imply that I approve of their actions and I perhaps even encouraged them to engage in illegal activities against my competitors.

does any definition really matter except the one under which the shadowrunners are prosecuted?

If not, why are you arguing anything but the laws of the victimized corp/nation the crime took place in matter? Why would Renraku possibly argue the firebombing of the arcology was anything BUT terrorism? Why would Aztechnology, who hired the runners, want to say it wasn't terrorism and agree with Renraku that this is a horrible crime, and Aztechnology would share any information they found in regards to these heinous criminals?

It would depend on the circumstances of the run and the evidence, particualary the evidence that has been made public.

Renraku hires a group of runners to steal a prototype HMHVV cure from a secret biotech research facility owned by Shiawase. Along the way, the runners learn that the vaccine doesn't work. They are tipped off to this fact by the half-eaten boddies stacked along the walls and the Windigos (plural) and their followers that try to kill them.

Somehow, the runners have it out with the research data. They cover their escape by blowing the lab to kingdom come with several hundred kilograms of C12. This kills the two Windigos, three dozen human followers, and 3 partially-eaten but still living victims, and 1 innocent bystander.

The runners, however, had eyecam footage and forensic evidence which they leaked to the press through a reporter contect. The evidence is authenticated by independant crime labs and the story goes public. Is Renraku going to call the runners terrorists, criminals, or hereos? What about Shaiwase? What about the general Seatle public? Will they see the runners as Saviors who took a cabal of canibalistic predators off the streets or will they see the runers as murderers who killed 42 people?
Crusher Bob
QUOTE (Talia Invierno @ Aug 18 2005, 10:13 PM)

This is worth mentioning because everyone is acting rationally, or at least, understandably, from their own point of view.

This has several practical applications

Consider the following situation:
Some guy has taken hostages and is threatening to kill them. If your total understanding of his motivation is, “That guy is batshit loco,” you will be unable to effectively communicate with him. If you understand his point of view, and the ‘rational’ motivations for his actions, then you might be able to talk him out of it. In general (but hopefully, in a less extreme sense) this applies to all negotiations.

The current label of terrorist dehumanizes to people so labeled. While it does make them psychologically easier to kill (they are no longer people they are terrorists), it means that the only available solution to the problem now lies in military force. However, military force is not capable of ending terrorism (beyond the commission of genocide, anyway).
Penta
Which, in the regions where we're fighting, has generally been the standard cure to any threat to the authority of the state. Don't just kill him, kill his whole village.
toturi
QUOTE (Penta)
Which, in the regions where we're fighting, has generally been the standard cure to any threat to the authority of the state. Don't just kill him, kill his whole village.

True. While we like to think we live in a civilised age and world, we do not. One man's genocide is another's extermination.
hobgoblin
and therefor one can say that one mans terrorist is another mans freedomfighter cyber.gif

nothing like 1000001 shades of gray to gum up the works, no?

there is a reason why its called spin silly.gif
nezumi
QUOTE (Talia Invierno @ Aug 18 2005, 06:09 PM)

QUOTE (Nezumi)

Presumably there is a strong correlation, since the corps draw their basis for laws on their home countries, and have similar needs.

Actually, they don't: and logically no megacorp would.

So say 'do not kill', 'do not steal', 'no speeding', inheritence laws and all that stuff is going to be thrown away? Do you truly think Renraku doesn't have a law forbidding you from murder or driving on the wrong side of the road?

As for avoiding US policy, I don't have enough experience to realistically debate anything else. But shadowrun IS based in the US, and simply saying 'well perhaps they do it differently somewhere else...' is dropping the question without looking for more answers. If you can show it IS done differently elsewhere, present it.

First, there was only one Renraku Arcology incident.

It's a hypothetical situation. There doesn't have to be another one in canon for us to examine how it would be approached. However, the shutdown is *NOT* a good example. After all, Deus isn't a shadowrunner, and if you count after the shutdown, it's now officially a warzone, so terrorism isn't a null crime anyway.

Ah, now, this is a very different point. Nothing in any of the definitions of criminality and/or terrorism require any sharing of information by the PTBs

Except we're discussing how they're viewed from different groups. The hiring company most likely WOULD view the perps as terrorists (or whatever the victim views them as). I did not claim that viewpoint is especially important, but other people seem to. In general, plausible deniability means the vast majority of the corp will have no idea who the runners are or that they hired them. So Aztechnology will see Renraku's report and say 'yep, by our laws that's terrorism (or whatever). Sorry to hear about your loss.'

Assuming the social structure in question has a solid code of what constitutes "crime", I'd actually say 'yes' to this:

I mean specifically in a court case. The defendant says 'no, it wasn't me' but the evidence says otherwise. There's always that 1% of uncertainty, always the differeing views ('no officer, I applied the breaks, I didn't see her...') Oftentimes you'll see court cases where not everyone comes away feeling the defendant was guilty.

most appropriate explanation isn't necessarily the one which happens to fit any one person's personal paradigm ...

So we're saying McVeigh was a terrorist... But no one actually thinks he is? What situation can you think of where someone was called a terrorist byt no single person actually believed it?

The UnaBomber was considered a lone madman
Once it was clear the Washington sniper had no connections he/they was/where again considered criminals, maybe insane criminals but not terrorists

Malvo convicted on terrorism

You really may want to check your sources, birdy.

Hyzmarca, in the situation given, I PRESUME Renraku would call them heroes (or cover it up). Shiawise would claim they were unaware of the people in their lab, and none of them were Shiawise employees (or were otherwise breaking the law by trespassing), so only the one innocent civilian was truly a victim.

Now consider another example. Aztechnology hires runners to take out a big, shiny satellite dish on the top of the Renraku arcology. With some work, the runners get a sub orbital to fall out of the sky and crash into the top of the arcology, instantly vaporizing the top eight floors and causing temendous amounts of damage and destruction to the next forty two. Thousands dead, billions of nuyen lost. Aztechnology profits (of course), now that their competitors got a kick in the nuts.

Will Renraku say its terrorism? (Most likely, yes)
Will the UCAS say its terrorism? (Most likely, yes)
Will Aztechnology say its terrorism? (Most likely, yes)

Did the shadowrunners have terrorist ties or do this to push a political motive? No.

Follow up question, Renraku has six scientists who live around the city. Aztechnology wants them gone and hires runners. The runners drive by and shoot each one, DC sniper style. They get a few bystanders in the process (too bad, oh well).

Again, who would NOT say they're terrorists?
Birdy
Ah nezumi, those are US or US influenced sources.

I am NOT! a US citizen, I have the great luck and pleasure to be a german!

What I reported where the german reactions on the guys, not the US ones.

Birdy

hyzmarca
A ganger gets rolled for his BTLs by members of a rival gang. He and his crew get revenge by driving by the homes of his attackers with their one car and their one AK-97, ahooting wildly into the homes. Several innocent bystanders are killed.
Who would call them terrorists?

The suborbital situation could easily be written off as a tragic accident. I would certainly be cheaper to do so from the perspective of both corporations and the UCAS government.
nezumi
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
A ganger gets rolled for his BTLs by members of a rival gang. He and his crew get revenge by driving by the homes of his attackers with their one car and their one AK-97, ahooting wildly into the homes. Several innocent bystanders are killed.

Of course not. The motive for the crime is clear, plus living in a gang-infested area is almost an INVITATION to get shot at periodically.

The suborbital situation could easily be written off as a tragic accident. I would certainly be cheaper to do so from the perspective of both corporations and the UCAS government.

Presumably they have proof the suborbital was intentionally sabotaged (or an explosive went off on it). They would have radio contact up 'til the last moment, remember. Given that everyone knows it was intentional, what's the verdict?
hyzmarca
QUOTE (nezumi @ Aug 19 2005, 10:10 AM)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Aug 19 2005, 09:46 AM)

Of course not. The motive for the crime is clear, plus living in a gang-infested area is almost an INVITATION to get shot at periodically.

So, when white people are killed it is terrorism but when blacks or latinos are killed they were asking for it.
Makes perfect sense.

Presumably they have proof the suborbital was intentionally sabotaged (or an explosive went off on it). They would have radio contact up 'til the last moment, remember. Given that everyone knows it was intentional, what's the verdict?

Assuming that Renraku is the one doing the investigation, it is still an accident. They just destroy the evidence suggesting otherwise and sue the suborbital's manufacturer. It is even better is the suborbital is manufactured by Aztechnology, since their best defense would be to admit that they did it intentionally.
nezumi
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Aug 19 2005, 10:27 AM)
QUOTE (nezumi @ Aug 19 2005, 10:10 AM)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Aug 19 2005, 09:46 AM)

So, when white people are killed it is terrorism but when blacks or latinos are killed they were asking for it.
Makes perfect sense.

What are you TALKING about? No one even brought up race until you did! It has nothing to do with that. Are you truly and seriously trying to make a political race-based point, or just being out of your mind? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and presume the latter, because the former is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.

Assuming that Renraku is the one doing the investigation, it is still an accident. They just destroy the evidence suggesting otherwise and sue the suborbital's manufacturer. It is even better is the suborbital is manufactured by Aztechnology, since their best defense would be to admit that they did it intentionally.

*WHY* would Renraku write off an attack as an accident. What possible benefit is there? If it's a malicious attack, they can use it to help 'rile the troops', ask for aid, point fingers, boast that the terrorists had inside knowledge to overcome their excellent defenses, sue the suborbital, airlines, radio operators and bomb makers and still come out looking like the good guy. What *POSSIBLE* motive would they have for saying 'oh, that's okay, planes just regularly fall out of the sky by accident, no worries.' Not only do they lose a lot of advantages, they decrease the confidence of everyone who depends upon them. "Oh, be careful about Renraku, they don't have appropriate controls on their buildings to help avert accidents." I suspect even if it was an accident, Renraku would try and make it appear otherwise.

And if we're talking about 'plausible deniability' here, *WHY WHY WHY* would *ANYONE* involved be *STUPID* enough to use an Aztechnology suborbital unless it was just as likely to get picked as anyone else's suborbital. The point is Renraku *SHOULD NOT* be able to point fingers at Aztechnology and say 'it's your fault!' They can point at Shiawise or whoever else, but if it's Aztechnology's fault, the run is a failure.
Kagetenshi
Confidence is shaken even further by knowledge that attacks can succeed against them.

~J
nezumi
I would agree that confidence would be shaken by admitting attacks can be made, but lets compare them:

1) An airplane has difficulties. Despite the availability radios, back up equipment, trained personnel and excellent engineers on both sides, it collides with a major building, destroying them both.

2) An airplane is hijacked. False radio signals are given, back up equipment is never called upon, trained personnel are directly threatened and the airplane is intentionally aimed at the most vulnerable point on the building. The plane successfully collides with the building, destroying both.

Which of the two scenarios more fully frightens you as someone living in a similar building? Would you prefer to know that all of the equipment in the second one is there and had to be intentionally overridden? Or that the equipment isn't there, or doesn't work properly to avoid a crash?

I'd prefer to know the latter. I don't know if I could fly again if I knew planes had a serious problem that caused them to randomly ram into buildings. At least with people you know who's at fault and you can feel like everyone else is 'good' and 'effective'.
Kagetenshi
Reactions to similar events in the real world suggest that the latter is more alarming to people.

~J
nezumi
I don't believe 'real world events' ever experienced one of the tallest structures in the world being knocked down by a plane accidentally running into it, so we really can't comment. I can't recollect the last time I've heard of a <b>major/b> building being demolished by an accident anywhere, really.

Had two planes crashed into the trade towers by accident, would that have decreased your confidence more than their being taken over by hostile forces? Which one made you question the safety of tall buildings more?

Of course, in the end, this is a question for the PR people. I would presume a group of criminals you could catch are better than a flaw in the system currently employed around the world. But that's just me.
Kagetenshi
Me? Neither did for me, but planes have crashed into inhabited areas many times without the loss of confidence exhibited by that event.

~J
hyzmarca
QUOTE (nezumi)
[/QUOTE]
Makes perfect sense.
[/QUOTE]
What are you TALKING about? No one even brought up race until you did! It has nothing to do with that. Are you truly and seriously trying to make a political race-based point, or just being out of your mind? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and presume the latter, because the former is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.

I will quote again
living in a gang-infested area is almost an INVITATION to get shot at periodically.

I would suggest you take thim to consider the skin colors of people who live in gang infested neighborhoods. However, I was wrong to exclue economic status wne I made that statement.

Perhaps you meant that when middle and upper class people are killed it is terrorism but when poor people are killed they were asking for it.

These are the only reasons I can think of as to why random shootings in more afluant areas of town are terrorism and random shootings in the slums are business as usual.

1) An airplane has difficulties. Despite the availability radios, back up equipment, trained personnel and excellent engineers on both sides, it collides with a major building, destroying them both.

2) An airplane is hijacked. False radio signals are given, back up equipment is never called upon, trained personnel are directly threatened and the airplane is intentionally aimed at the most vulnerable point on the building. The plane successfully collides with the building, destroying both.

As Kagetenshi pointed out, the latter is more alarming to most people.

In situation 1, despite thousands of commercial airline flights every day only one aircraft crashed due to one highly unlikely failure or a highly unlikely series of failures that could popbably be attributed to negligence.

In situation 2, anyone anywhere could at any time decide to crash an airplane into a building and there is nothing anoone can do to stop it.

As for the "failure" Renraku's defense systems, it would have been more of a failure if the crash was an intentional attack. Personally, I have always blamed the destruction of the twin towers on teh fact that the engineers were too stupid to put automated SAMs and computer controlled gun turrents on the roof.

And if we're talking about 'plausible deniability' here, *WHY WHY WHY* would *ANYONE* involved be *STUPID* enough to use an Aztechnology suborbital unless it was just as likely to get picked as anyone else's suborbital. The point is Renraku *SHOULD NOT* be able to point fingers at Aztechnology and say 'it's your fault!' They can point at Shiawise or whoever else, but if it's Aztechnology's fault, the run is a failure.

How many Johnsons tell the runners which company they work for? I would doubt that those who do live very long.

*WHY* would Renraku write off an attack as an accident. What possible benefit is there? If it's a malicious attack, they can use it to help 'rile the troops', ask for aid, point fingers, boast that the terrorists had inside knowledge to overcome their excellent defenses, sue the suborbital, airlines, radio operators and bomb makers and still come out looking like the good guy. What *POSSIBLE* motive would they have for saying 'oh, that's okay, planes just regularly fall out of the sky by accident, no worries.' Not only do they lose a lot of advantages, they decrease the confidence of everyone who depends upon them. "Oh, be careful about Renraku, they don't have appropriate controls on their buildings to help avert accidents." I suspect even if it was an accident, Renraku would try and make it appear otherwise.

You can't sue someone for the actions of a third party. More accuratly, you can sue but you can't win. If this was a terrorist act then the airlline, the bomb maker, the radio opperators, and the suborbital manufacturer have no legal culpability. Ranraku would have to sue the runners for billions of nuyen in damages.
You can't get blood from a stone and you can't get a billion nuyen from a shadowrunner. If it were an accident caused by negligence, on the other hand, they would be able to sue whoever was at fault for the full damages.

If it is about the bottom line, the Renraku would do best to cut their losses and screw some innocent corporation out of a few billion.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012