Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Criminals or Terrorists
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
FrostyNSO
Keep in mind that under that definition, the colonies in the Revolutionaries would be considered terrorists, the Confederates in the Civil War would be considered terrorists, and it's clear that these groups (and others) were *not* terrorists even if they fit the definition as used by the USA today.

Hey, I agree that the definition needs some clarification. I propose:

"Terrorism is the unlawful use of force or violence against persons or property of a civilian population, or any segment thereof to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian population, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives."
hobgoblin
btw, terrorism, in the modern sense, was invented by the israeli people, right? as in, they bombed a british building somewhere in israel to try and get the british to pull out.

still, a partisan group can be seen as terrorists by the invader. hell, maybe even the invaders own civilians may see them as that if either the propaganda is good or the invaders claim is just. still, when do one have a just claim to invade another contry?

and then one is back to my statement again, one peoples freedom fighter can be another peoples terrorist.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Vaevictis)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Aug 13 2005, 09:31 AM)
For example, one of the Allied tactics in WWII was to firebomb civilian homes because factories were too easily rebuildt.

Furthermore, the military decided that there were no civilians in Japan.

That is an accurate statement about any country with a strong histroy of civilian militias and resistance to occupation. Bin Laden said the same about the US and that statement carries the same accuracy when one considers the implications of the Second Amendment and the rich history of civilian resistance as exemplified by Nancy Morgan Hart

However, that policy doesn't stand up scrutiny. Certainly, it isn't someting Sun Tzu would have approved of because it makes securing peace with the conquered population exceedingly difficult.

However, I wasn't even thinking of Japan. I was thnking of Germany, Hamburg and Dresden specificly, although one could argue that Dresden lacked any real value as a military target and was just an attempt to terrorize civilians. Dresden did have rail yards, which could be considered legitimate targets as part of transportation infrastructure. Rails are painfully easy to repair, however.

This could be related to the status of Shadowrunners only if they are the most anti-corporate type of runner. Fighting against the tyrany of corporations could make one a terrorist or a freedomfighter. On the other hand, if they were mercenaries hired be Amazonia to attack Aztlan then they would be preforming legitimate military operations even if Aztlechnology decided to call them terrorists.
toturi
Actually it would be something Sun Tzu would have approved. "Attacking the heart instead of attacking the cities." In a way, attacking the enemy's will to fight by targeting civillian targets makes perfect sense. Sun Tzu was only concerned about the cost to his own forces, not the cost to enemy civillian forces. So as long as you utilise a strategy that minimises your casualties, it is legitimate. Slaughtering the entire population of an enemy city might work if you can use it to keep down the casualties to your forces.

Actually the earliest recorded use of terrorism was by the Hebrew, even if we consider the modern defination of terrorism. The world's greatest terrorists: Moses and God.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (toturi)
Actually it would be something Sun Tzu would have approved. "Attacking the heart instead of attacking the cities." In a way, attacking the enemy's will to fight by targeting civillian targets makes perfect sense. Sun Tzu was only concerned about the cost to his own forces, not the cost to enemy civillian forces. So as long as you utilise a strategy that minimises your casualties, it is legitimate. Slaughtering the entire population of an enemy city might work if you can use it to keep down the casualties to your forces.

Actually the earliest recorded use of terrorism was by the Hebrew, even if we consider the modern defination of terrorism. The world's greatest terrorists: Moses and God.

Nothing wrong with attacking cities. It is the there are no civilians policy that goes contrary to The Art of War as it only serves to multiply enemy forces and make defection less likely.
Much of The Art of War is written with the assumption that enemy populations would eventually be annexed in whole or in part. One of the major philosophies of Sun Tzu is to take resources, including troops, from captured enemy territory insted to siphoning them from one's own civilian population.
lorthazar
Okay on the 9/11 score there were several reason for using planes to attack the WTC buildings. First even if you failed to bring the building down you still killed many civillians and caused panic, something a cruise missle would not do as well. Second the Al Qaeda were not out to cripple just the US economy they were trying to cripple the World Economy. Like it or not the whole world's economic welfare is linked to the US's.

Why were they doing this? becuase they forgot who they were messing with. Americans do not back down from a good fight. (Korea and Vietnam were not good fights.) They expected us to fold up and let them abuse, torture, rape and murder their own people. Well, what they got is the US's solution: give the people Democracy. You can argue all you want, but it doesn't change facts.
Vaevictis
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
That is an accurate statement about any country with a strong histroy of civilian militias and resistance to occupation. Bin Laden said the same about the US and that statement carries the same accuracy when one considers the implications of the Second Amendment and the rich history of civilian resistance as exemplified by Nancy Morgan Hart

In the United States, you can expect a significant militia resistance if you invade us, but you cannot expect that 80%+ of the population -- including women and children -- will rise up against you and fight to the death as was the case with Japan.

To say that there were no civilians in WWII Japan is a reasonably accurate statement. They were religious/nationalistic fanatics who were conditioned to believe that death was preferable to surrender. It took an act of divine intervention (literally, from their point of view) to get them to stand down.

Totally different situations. Bin Laden had already come to the conclusion that he was going to attack our civilians, and then came up with some mealy-mouthed justification about there being no civilians in the USA. It's obvious that's the case; what's the justification Al-Qaeda gives for attacking civilians in Iraq? Their "reasons" are not justifications, they are *excuses*.

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
However, I wasn't even thinking of Japan. I was thnking of Germany, Hamburg and Dresden specificly, although  one could argue that Dresden lacked any real value as a military target and was just an attempt to terrorize civilians. Dresden did have rail yards, which could be considered legitimate targets as part of transportation infrastructure. Rails are painfully easy to repair, however.

Fair enough. My knowledge of the European front is a bit weak, so I can't really speak to that, except to say that I have always been fairly uncomfortable with the devestation in Europe given that there *were* large civilian populations there.

The Japanese (as a nation) earned every bit of what they got in WWII -- including the atomic bombs. They were the aggressor in every instance, the civilian populace was expected to fight to the last to force a pyrrhic victory on any invader, and had they won, they would have had even less sympathy for us than I have for them. I can have sympathy for individual Japanese, but as a nation, they really did ask for it.
hyzmarca
To be fair Bin Laden didn't claim that there are so civilians in the Us so much as that there are no civilians anywhere in this or any other universe. I may have misrepresented that to get my point across.

Those whose efforts support a military could be seen as the same as enlisted and comissioned noncombat personel, from a certain point of view. After all, when difference does it make if the guy guy delivering the bullets is wears a uniform or not?

The thing about the rules of war and internetional law is that both are elaborate fictions. When war actually breaks out no one pays attention to them. Later, the winners can make elaborate excusses for their actions while condeming the losers for doing the exact same thing, because cheaters always win and winners never cheat.

Japan? Well, the Japanese government was attempting to negoatiate a surrender when the bombs fell. Afterward, there was no need for negoation. There wouldn't have been a ground invasion either way. The bombs just sped up the process and showed the Commies who was boss.

Talk about rules of war all you want, the guy wearing a necklace made from human ears knows differently.

Kagetenshi
If you're going to call him anything, call him Osama. Laden had more than one son.
Second the Al Qaeda were not out to cripple just the US economy they were trying to criplle the World Economy.

The Japanese (as a nation) earned every bit of what they got in WWII -- including the atomic bombs.

And the thread has jumped the shark.

~J
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Aug 13 2005, 10:53 PM)
QUOTE (toturi @ Aug 13 2005, 10:33 PM)

Nothing wrong with attacking cities. It is the there are no civilians policy that goes contrary to The Art of War as it only serves to multiply enemy forces and make defection less likely.
Much of The Art of War is written with the assumption that enemy populations would eventually be annexed in whole or in part. One of the major philosophies of Sun Tzu is to take resources, including troops, from captured enemy territory insted to siphoning them from one's own civilian population.

I believe Sun Tzu's biggest qualm with attacking cities was that it tended to be a laborious affair that usually cost more than it achieved. While the enmey was holed up in their city, you were free to go where you pleased, when you pleased. By attempting to invade the city, you essentially made your force static, and multiplied the enemy's strength (by virue of the advantage a force defending such a target has).

Attacking the enemy's will to fight is for certain an effective tactic. However, to take the objective in tact is the greater goal. If you intend to capture and maintain control of a region, you can hardly say that you took it in tact when the occupied population despises you (in addition to your having invaded them) for the numerous abuses and atrocities committed by your troops in the name of subjugation of will. Such acts breed contempt and rebellion rather than win hearts and minds, which is the preferrable option.

If you guys are interested in Sun Tzu, I would reccommend you guys pick up some Clausewitz if you havn't already. He delves much more into political objective and other topics which you may find interesting.
nezumi
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Shadowrunners aren't criminals because their actions are sanctioned by an official government. It is just usually that that government has no authority in the places where the Shadowrunners opperate.
It is no different from Israel sending agents into France to execute terrorists. These agents were following the lawful orders of a lawful government.

Again, this makes you a CRIMINAL. Just because I'm not breaking the laws of France by driving on the left side of the road doesn't mean I won't go to jail doing it in the US.
Only if you get caught.

That is the difference between a CONVICTED criminal and a criminal.

Look up criminal:

One that has committed or been legally convicted of a crime.

So if I go to Singapore where it's illegal to spit on the ground, under orders from the President to desecrate their walkways and I spit on the ground by Singapore law, I am now a criminal! Being caught has nothing to do with it.

For all you arguing shadowrunners aren't terrorists, have you ever had a run where you had to be a mob enforcer? Where you had to destroy or steal a prototype? Where you had to kill people who might testify or otherwise convince them? Used force in ANY sort of politically related game?

Those could all be considered terrorist acts (and, given the definitions stated, probably are). It's using unlawful force against civilian targets to achieve a political ends, be it changing a company's product line, changing a person's verdict in court, or deciding who wins the election.

Have any of you been on a run that caused massive amounts of damage? Have you caused more than 10 otherwise unconnected deaths within a small geographic area? Have any of your runs gotten significant publicity as a violent criminal act?

Given our current laws in the US, you COULD be tried as a terrorist. I brought up the DC sniper who had absolutely no interested in changing political views or scaring people. His goal was to muddle his motives to detectives. However, because he did scare the general populace, he was tried as a terrorist.

It isn't always about motives alone when it comes to the law.
Foreigner
Shadowrunner to prospective employer:

"I am NOT a terrorist. I am a PROFESSIONAL."

Mr. J. : "Indeed? A 'professional' WHAT?"

Shadowrunner: "Err...Ahh...Ummm...."

rotfl.gif

--Foreigner

toturi
QUOTE (Foreigner)
Shadowrunner to prospective employer:

"I am NOT a terrorist. I am a PROFESSIONAL."

Mr. J. : "Indeed? A 'professional' WHAT?"

Shadowrunner: "Err...Ahh...Ummm...."

rotfl.gif

--Foreigner

Shadowrunner: "Professional Shadowrunner. A shadowrunner is someone that takes your money I believe. A professional shadowrunner takes your money and does the job. You were going to pay me for my time, were you not?"
Foreigner
toturi:

Good answer. wink.gif

--Foreigner
hyzmarca
QUOTE (nezumi @ Aug 14 2005, 07:46 AM)

So if I go to Singapore where it's illegal to spit on the ground, under orders from the President to desecrate their walkways and I spit on the ground by Singapore law, I am now a criminal!  Being caught has nothing to do with it.

No, you wouldn't be a criminal. You would be commiting an act of war as an agent of the United States. As such, the civil laws of Singapore don't apply to you. If you are arrested you would be a POW entitled to protection under the Genvea Convention.

That is, untill the President formally disavows any knowledge of your actions. Then, you are not only a criminal, you are one with the Hung Out to Dry flaw.

Shadowrunners are usually hired to commit acts of war. However, their employers will usually deny hiring them to commit acts of war.
imperialus
QUOTE (mmu1)
Was this a trial in absentia? The admiral Yamamoto died when a plane carrying him was shot down by US fighter planes.

woops that's my fault. This is what happens when I'm in a rush and forget to check names before I post. My pacific theater knowlage is kinda shaky. It was actually Admeral Oka that I was refering to who was sentanced to life imprisonment but paroled in 1954. embarrassed.gif
nezumi
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

So if I go to Singapore where it's illegal to spit on the ground, under orders from the President to desecrate their walkways and I spit on the ground by Singapore law, I am now a criminal!  Being caught has nothing to do with it.

No, you wouldn't be a criminal. You would be commiting an act of war as an agent of the United States. As such, the civil laws of Singapore don't apply to you. If you are arrested you would be a POW entitled to protection under the Genvea Convention.

It might be a diplomatic problem, but I don't think spitting on the sidewalk could possibly be construed as an act of war, nor could driving on the wrong side of the street.

Are you seriously suggesting that any action my government encourages me to do that happens to be illegal where I am is an act of war? I wasn't aware that say bribery or copying classified documents were both legal and declarations of war if someone with a gov't job tells me to do them.

I think your logic is missing an important leap.
Canis
[edit] ignore, nevermind
hyzmarca
QUOTE (nezumi)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Aug 14 2005, 01:48 PM)

It might be a diplomatic problem, but I don't think spitting on the sidewalk could possibly be construed as an act of war, nor could driving on the wrong side of the street.

Are you seriously suggesting that any action my government encourages me to do that happens to be illegal where I am is an act of war? I wasn't aware that say bribery or copying classified documents were both legal and declarations of war if someone with a gov't job tells me to do them.

I think your logic is missing an important leap.

Any willfull violation of another nation's Soverignty is an act of war.
imperialus
IIRC the old second ed book Lone Star actually classified Shadowrunners as a separate breed entierly more of a super criminal than a mere street thug or terrorist with a cause. They even have special ultimate security prisons built to wearhouse conviced shadowrunners. 24/7 simsence prisons with the prisoners kept alive intervinously was the gist I got from it.
FrostyNSO
Skillset Operatives for-Hire.
Crusher Bob
Actually, most shadowrunners don't fall under the rules of warfare because they do not follow the rules for 'legal combatants':

Art. 13. The present Convention shall apply to the wounded and sick belonging to the following categories:

(1) Members of the armed forces of a Party to the conflict, as well as members of militias or volunteer corps forming part of such armed forces. (2) Members of other militias and members of other volunteer corps, including those of organized resistance movements, belonging to a Party to the conflict and operating in or outside their own territory, even if this territory is occupied, provided that such militias or volunteer corps, including such organized resistance movements, fulfil the following conditions: (a) that of being commanded by a person responsible for his subordinates; (b) that of having a fixed distinctive sign recognizable at a distance; © that of carrying arms openly; (d) that of conducting their operations in accordance with the laws and customs of war. ...

There is also an exemption for 'citizens who take up arms to resist and invasion', they have to be treated as legal combatants as well.

[edit]
Here's that section

(6) Inhabitants of a non-occupied territory, who on the approach of the enemy spontaneously take up arms to resist the invading forces, without having had time to form themselves into regular armed units, provided they carry arms openly and respect the laws and customs of war.

[/edit]

As runner's don't do any of these, they are 'unlawful combatants' and can be subjects to whatever rules the detaining power wants (at least, by the rules of warfare), usually summary execution.

Of course, only the signatories of the Geneva convention are bound by its rules. (Are any of the megacorps signatories?)
Birdy
Not exactly Crusher Bob.

Persons who are not legal combattants but engage in warfare can be dealt with according to the law of the state that captures them. So say Japanese Troops (Japan has a state-wide death penalty) capture a Martian civilian killing their soldiers. He can be tried as a murderer and hanged. If the same Martian is captured by german soldiers (We don't have the death penalty and never will [1]) the maximum he can get is "life with security storage"[2]

There is no such thing in international law as an "Illegal Combattant"(IC). You are either a legal combattant (Soldier, Militia etc) or you are a criminal. The IC is a US only idea of dubios value (Who should have followed the "five hints" anyway)

Birdy

[1] It's in the non-changeable parts of our Grundgesetz!
[2] That means "Until death"
Kagetenshi
Note that unless they signed after formation the UCAS and CAS are not signatories of the Geneva Convention.

~J
Sicarius
From what I have understood the UCAS inherited the United State's UN's Security Council Seat. Generally speaking successor nations like that are obliged to follow the conventions its predecessor took part in. (as the Russian Federation was obliged to follow the conventions of the Soviet Union.)

That being said, conventions like that are entirely voluntary to soverign states, so opting out is a simple enough process.

Snow_Fox
I went with "other" because a shadowrun can vary widely from team to team.
nick012000
QUOTE (nezumi)
Have any of you been on a run that caused massive amounts of damage? Have you caused more than 10 otherwise unconnected deaths within a small geographic area? Have any of your runs gotten significant publicity as a violent criminal act?

Do the deaths have to be intentional?

I mean, it's not like the mage knew the drone he tossed onto the freeway was a giant bomb that would kill 350 people...
Penta
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
btw, terrorism, in the modern sense, was invented by the israeli people, right? as in, they bombed a british building somewhere in israel to try and get the british to pull out.

Uh, no, actually.

Terrorism (in the modern sense) began around the 1880s with the Russian Decembrists and similar anarchists, socialists, etc.

The incident you refer to (the King David Hotel bombing) is arguably terrorism. The target was the British military HQ in the building...And, in terrorism, the target makes all the difference.

Also, a small definitional issue. Folks...Legally...

States cannot commit terrorism.

If anybody remembers basic international relations (if you ever learned about it in an academic setting), you'll recall that among the fundamental properties of sovereign states are that they have a monopoly on the legitimate use of violence.

Acts of violence committed by a state against another state are called acts of war, plain and simple.

Acts of violence committed by a non-state actor against a state are terrorism.

Acts of violence committed by a non-state actor against a non-state actor are (usually!) just plain crime.

Acts of violence committed by a state against a non-state actor are unremarked upon by traditional international law. Against one's own people...In international law, silence is the rule there. Dates back to the Peace of Westphalia. You have to go over the top, and do things like real, live, unmistakable genocide to get noticed. (Which is why you basically never hear the word genocide breathed against a state by states that value their credibility, which is any of them. Even the US declarations on Darfur were finely-tuned not to actually declare that genocide was in progress. It legally imposes obligations to intervene...Somehow, though law never says how.)

Against someone ELSE'S people (and the else can only be another state), it's called a war crime.
Penta
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Note that unless they signed after formation the UCAS and CAS are not signatories of the Geneva Convention.

~J

Sicarius is right.

The UCAS is most definitely a legal successor state of the United States of America and definitely the legal successor to the Dominion of Canada. (Which creates some really, really fun questions...Someone may want to clarify what happened to the Commonwealth. smile.gif )

The CAS has a very plausible claim to be a successor state to the United States of America, as well. Given how it seemed to work out after the Treaty of Richmond, I suspect that it is. (Yes, two successors can exist to one previous. The last time, however, that anybody actually dealt with the international law on successor states was when Yugoslavia shattered. Serbia more or less took up everything from that, legally, which made everything much, much easier (secession is far more covered territory than a simple collapse, obviously).) One question never addressed in SR: How did they ever split the US public debt up between the NAN and the US, or the UCAS and CAS, or..? The Ottoman Empire's collapse is the last time we actually saw something like that.

The NAN states are a successor to nobody, and arise anew (bar the aforementioned debt). The same with Tir Tairngire. They have to sign everything.

Aztlan would take up Mexico's legal obligations.

Very, very, very interesting questions arise re California.

Hawai'i (in respect to any obligations arising from its previous status as part of the US or, previous to that, as an independent nation) makes my head hurt.

Trans-Polar Aleut, in respect to Alaska, would similarly be interesting, to say the least.

Kage...You raise some very interesting questions.

Oh, and a simpler question: What ever happened to the Hot Line?
nezumi
QUOTE (nick012000)
Have any of you been on a run that caused massive amounts of damage?  Have you caused more than 10 otherwise unconnected deaths within a small geographic area?  Have any of your runs gotten significant publicity as a violent criminal act?

Do the deaths have to be intentional?

I mean, it's not like the mage knew the drone he tossed onto the freeway was a giant bomb that would kill 350 people...

Currently? Not necessarily. Proving lack of intent can be very difficult. That said, you'd still be caught for felony manslaughter.
hobgoblin
nice post there penta, thanks for clearing that up (the one about terrorism that is, alltho the other one was nice to silly.gif).

and when i said that the king david hotel bombing was the first act of modern terrorism i had my info from a discovery program about terrorism. the question realy is where you draw the line between "classical" and modern nyahnyah.gif
Birdy
@Penta: Jugoslawien is boring. Two far nicer examples are China/Taiwan and Germany/Germany:

In one case you had major diplomatic (and monetarian) pressure and it was first one (Republic of China aka Taiwan) than the other (Peoples Republic of China) who was the UN member and official olympic participant and all.

In the other you had rotating seats (associates to the Security Council) and diplomatic infighting but two distinct flags and states. Unless you take the Olympics where they had "joined" teams at least once.

So maybe the CAS and UCAS do the same? Would make for some nice political infighting. Nothing is funnier than espionage between countries that have next to no differences.

Birdy
Talia Invierno
@ Birdy: Jugoslawien may be boring, but its issues, including the carryovers from WWII/I/Balkan Wars, are still very much first-generation alive and in many cases personally relevant (says the person who just finished working out one part of a continuing legal/international issue).

A curious/ironic note in light of the freedom fighters/terrorists dichotomy: the records for the Yugoslav partisans are kept in the "Museum of [Yugoslavian] Freedom".
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (Penta)

If anybody remembers basic international relations (if you ever learned about it in an academic setting), you'll recall that among the fundamental properties of sovereign states are that they have a monopoly on the legitimate use of violence.

Acts of violence committed by a state against another state are called acts of war, plain and simple.

Acts of violence committed by a non-state actor against a state are terrorism.

Acts of violence committed by a non-state actor against a non-state actor are (usually!) just plain crime.

Acts of violence committed by a state against a non-state actor are unremarked upon by traditional international law. Against one's own people...In international law, silence is the rule there. Dates back to the Peace of Westphalia. You have to go over the top, and do things like real, live, unmistakable genocide to get noticed. (Which is why you basically never hear the word genocide breathed against a state by states that value their credibility, which is any of them. Even the US declarations on Darfur were finely-tuned not to actually declare that genocide was in progress. It legally imposes obligations to intervene...Somehow, though law never says how.)

Against someone ELSE'S people (and the else can only be another state), it's called a war crime.

Thank you for bringing up what I already said earlier, which was promptly never addressed.

At least somebody knows this.
hyzmarca
I wonder how Lone Star evaluates arrested Shadowrunners to determine if they should be charged with the crime or used as irregular assets. Certainly, they do let criminals go free in exchange for doing some work for them. Modern police do it all the time.

Does lone star go "well, you blew up a skyscraper and killed 500 people, but we need a crew that is skilled demolitions so we'll forget about it if you work for us"? Or do they only choose the most softcore of runners? Perhaps they choose which runners to let go based on political pressure. After all, there would be a high demand to solve a skyscraper bombing but not much to solve a contract killing in the barrens.

It would be a kick in the pants to get arrested by Lone Star and getting a free ruger Thunderbolt out of it instead of being force to retire the caracter.

Talia Invierno
Definitions, once written, must be absolute and stand thereafter unquestioned: for in the power of the first word (the civilised word, the written word, the ivory tower word) is the ultimate author ity.

What purpose debate, once we have a dictionary?
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
QUOTE (Penta @ Aug 16 2005, 08:41 AM)

Thank you for bringing up what I already said earlier, which was promptly never addressed.

Personally I deny that concept, as it leaves the word devoid of meaning.

~J
Vaevictis
QUOTE (Penta)

The keyword there being "legally." I am not overly concerned with the legal definition of terrorism not including state actors; the academic versions (which I am more concerned with) do include state actors.

It's obvious that the states who define the laws don't want to be called "terrorists" -- it's in their best interests, and the laws reflect that. Imagine a dictator changing the law so that members of his family cannot legally commit murder. Just because it's not murder according to the laws of the locale doesn't mean it's not really murder. I consider that to be basically the same thing as states defining laws that say states can't commit terrorism.

In other words: Just because states cannot be held legally responsible for terrorist acts does not mean that they cannot commit acts that are terrorist in nature.

It is well established in academia that states can engage in terrorism; in fact, the situation in which terrorism was originally identified as such was during the Great Terror under the First French Republic. (Transcript of discusson on the matter, look for Sloan's commentary)
Birdy
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (FrostyNSO @ Aug 16 2005, 04:57 PM)
QUOTE (Penta @ Aug 16 2005, 08:41 AM)

Personally I deny that concept, as it leaves the word devoid of meaning.

~J

It's actually correct. A state can

a) Support terrorism like the GDR (with the RAF) or Lybia

b) Use "deniable assets" or "good reason" like France against GreenPeace (Rainbow Warrior) or the Iran against the US embassy and the US rescue operation against Iran

+ If caught and the target is not a state => Criminals (Rainbow Warrior)
+ If caught and the target is a state =>

i) If you are lucky the other guy calls it "espionage" (USA vs. UdSSR)
ii) Or he can do nothing without loosing too much face (US vs. Iran vs. US)
iii) If none of the above, the other guy is "shooting back"[1]

c) Declare war

That sometimes an act that screams "WAR" get's overlooked has a lot to do with the fact, that between them, the two involved nations could have killed the planet 10+ times over and both prefer not too (Cuba-Crisis, U2 shootdown etc)

Birdy

[1] Using the "caught in the act" number was the (rather stupid) german plan in 1939, claiming the Poles had attacked a german radio station
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (Vaevictis @ Aug 16 2005, 06:16 PM)
QUOTE (Penta)

The keyword there being "legally." I am not overly concerned with the legal definition of terrorism not including state actors; the academic versions (which I am more concerned with) do include state actors.

It's obvious that the states who define the laws don't want to be called "terrorists" -- it's in their best interests, and the laws reflect that. Imagine a dictator changing the law so that members of his family cannot legally commit murder. Just because it's not murder according to the laws of the locale doesn't mean it's not really murder. I consider that to be basically the same thing as states defining laws that say states can't commit terrorism.

In other words: Just because states cannot be held legally responsible for terrorist acts does not mean that they cannot commit acts that are terrorist in nature.

It is well established in academia that states can engage in terrorism; in fact, the situation in which terrorism was originally identified as such was during the Great Terror under the First French Republic. (Transcript of discusson on the matter, look for Sloan's commentary)

I understand what you're saying Vaevictis, a spade is a spade, but States cannot be charged with terrorism.

When a state commits an act of "terrorism", it is policy. That's the way it is, they can do it. If you don't like it, run for office.

The word terrorist is used to describe individuals and organizations, not recognized governments (whether you like it or not), because recognized governments have the right to commit "terrorism" as policy.
Kagetenshi
But we're clearly not talking about legal definitions—no individual can be charged with being a criminal, for instance.

~J
Talia Invierno
Why should "right" and "wrong" have any relevance whatsoever, if their only meaning is to be the one defined by those holding the power to fix their meaning on stone tablets?

Who, in this world, is going to define themself as being wrong?
FrostyNSO
If we're not talking about legal definitions, then a spade is a spade and everyone's spade will be a little bit different.

If we want to include a little legal definaition: Like the UN says, any act of terrorism will be considered a criminal act. As I said earlier, as it relates to Shadowrunners this time:

It is possible to be a criminal but not a terrorist.

It is not possible to be terrorist but not a criminal.

So unless a runner is completely legit, they are a criminal. If they are a terrorist, then they are a criminal too.
Talia Invierno
And everyone's legal spade will be the same?

Seattle, UCAS -- UCAS law. Or corp law. Or S-S law. Or Matrix otaku codes. Or -- which spade, exactly?
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
Why should "right" and "wrong" have any relevance whatsoever, if their only meaning is to be the one defined by those holding the power to fix their meaning on stone tablets?

Everybody wants their meaning to be the one on those stone tablets, so why don't you tell me?
Talia Invierno
Me? I have no personal defining morality that seeks to impose my image upon those around me. And that is all any given legal code is, is it not? an attempt to define a societal morality?
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
And everyone's legal spade will be the same?

We don't know. It certainly isn't today, but what I was trying to say is that basically, people are going to see things (and describe them) in whatever way they want to.

One person will see a guy blow up a bus full of kids and call him a terrorist, and someone else will call him a hero. But in the end, all he really is, is a guy who blew up a bus full of kids.

You can't really solve the Right/Wrong argument, because everybody's views will be different. Right and Wrong are "abstracts", so whoever is in power, as you said earlier will be the ones to define those terms, for good or ill. You may not agree with it, but so long as those people are the ones defining it, you have to live with it.
Talia Invierno
So maybe the initial question is altogether meaningless, except insofar as we temporarily adopt the pov (and thus definitions) of one of the Seattle Powers-That-Be ... but isn't that exactly what we're not supposed to adopt, from a shadowrunning pov?

Edit: meaningless, that is, unless you're caught.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
Definitions, once written, must be absolute and stand thereafter unquestioned: for in the power of the first word (the civilised word, the written word, the ivory tower word) is the ultimate author ity.

What purpose debate, once we have a dictionary?

Debate is to defend the use of the term "dord" in a scientific research parer and fail miserably at it.

Sometimes, dictionaries are wrong

Nothing can be taken at face value, not even the most obvious definition. Such is the case with "terrorism".
nezumi
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
So maybe the initial question is altogether meaningless, except insofar as we temporarily adopt the pov (and thus definitions) of one of the Seattle Powers-That-Be ... but isn't that exactly what we're not supposed to adopt, from a shadowrunning pov?

I personally took that as the original question of the forum.

Legally speaking, are runners terrorists or criminals? If we don't have a set pov, the question is meaningless. As a government worker for the US, there are people who think I'm a terrorist. There are also people who think Bin Laden isn't a terrorist, but a freedom fighter. So realistically, we should pick with the most widely accepted view, which is generally the legal one.

In which case, political motivations aren't the only reason to label a shadowrunner a terrorist.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012