Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: System Failure preview
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
JongWK
PDF link

Edit: Adam fixed the problem. Now, how do I strikethrough text in a post?

Halabis
OMFG it needs to come out now!!!
Ancient History
hee hee hee
Halabis
OMG, i want. Just some lines in the ToC that piqued my interest

"A Claw on the Switch"
"Z-O Offline"
"A Knight in Distres"
"Echoes of Mirage"
"Shadowland Crash game info"

Who do I have to kill to get this now?
the_dunner
I feel bad for Adam. He gets one PDF out the door, and before people have even finished reading it, there are already cries of desparate need for the next one. biggrin.gif

Edited to add the obligatory: I want it!
FlakJacket
Magically modified EMP nukes? Guess we know why they were tooling around Western Africa now then. smile.gif
SL James
I just need pages 105-107...

and maybe the timeline...
warrior_allanon
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
Magically modified EMP nukes? Guess we know why they were tooling around Western Africa now then. smile.gif

i guess this explains what happened to SoCal

Arab_One
It almost brings a tear to the eye to think of Captain Chaos, hero til the end, valiantly fighting off whatever hell was released in the Matrix in order to save what lives he can from the nukes.
I can picture the funeral, a who's who of the shadow-community paying their respects to the legend. Hell, even Harly and Ehran would probably drop by to say fond farewells. But who would be the speaker for the dead?
SL James
Priest.

Who else?
Grinder
Want.The.Book.Now.

Art Dankwalther goes down. Hm, who cares?
otaku mike
Isn't it what everyone was waiting for? biggrin.gif
Grinder
He was ridicoulous from the beginning, yes, but got completly ignored in all gaming groups i know. Not even heard of a GM who had him assassinated by his runner group. biggrin.gif
Ellery
What exactly is a "magically modified EMP nuke" supposed to be? Was a regular nuclear weapon not special enough?
Oracle
Did you read the previously published material about Winternight? I think the nukes are mentioned in Threats 1...
Birdy
QUOTE (Ellery @ Sep 1 2005, 07:47 AM)
What exactly is a "magically modified EMP nuke" supposed to be?  Was a regular nuclear weapon not special enough?

Maybe an Orichalkum-Enhanced Mana Device (similar to the Cobal enhanced neutron device) Or SR scientists have finally discovered the Oz particle and Necronium.

Manadynamics - We bring dead things to live

Birdy
hahnsoo
Well, it's all part of Winternight's "Threats" entry. They've always been involved with making these nebulously described "Magically Modified Nukes", but none have ever been detonated in SR canon before. "Ragnarock" had Talon dealing with one of them, but that's all I can think of. Winternight has always been one of those "non-Threat" threats, in that they never really had an impact on the game world (compared to entries like Strain III, Bug Spirits, Immortal Elves)... at least, until now.
Oracle
Though they have been always there in the background...
Ellery
Yes, I know it's part of the Threats entry. It didn't make any sense there, either, nor did "cryogenic supercritical nuclear masses" (sounds like another name for "nuke" to me, except the cryogenic part is irrelevant), nor did "subatomic dimensional linkages" (if they existed, how would you destroy anything with something subatomic?), nor did "necromantic transformation rituals" (you can pull that off on a global scale?), nor did "crop viruses that will cause huge fires to sweep the earth" (because viruses always make plants all over the planet spontaneously combust at the same time?).

I always viewed WN as completely crazy because their Threats entry made no sense whatsoever, either in the fiction or the goals stated in the rules--they'd be chasing gobbledygook pseudoscience to the end of time, convinced that it would bring about Ragnarok despite the phrases being nonsensical and barely even grammatical. Now I see that it is the authors who were crazy, because they used WN as the basis of their biggest plot element since...well...for a good long time. In terms of the impact on the world, it's the biggest since SR was introduced.

There are plenty of terrifying plausible threats that don't consist of three or four jargony terms glued together at random. Is it really that hard for an author to do a little bit of reading?

Edit: if they managed to run the plot so that WN's insanity was insane, but they nonetheless managed to do damage with bits of what they were planning even though half of it didn't work, then it could be cool. I guess I'm pessimistic about anything that sensible, with the prospects for such interesting commentary on the problems of insanity and false belief in an advanced technological society. That's too good of an opportunity to be taken advantage of.
hahnsoo
Flux Capacitor is the key to Time Travel.

Remember to reverse the polarity, when all else fails.

*cheesy grin*

Seriously, I like that angle (the crazy policlub terrorist group chasing pseudo-science). But here's a thought: Could it be that they kept failing until they accidentally came upon an alliance with Pax and her Dissonance? In other words, they finally hit upon something that would actually work, only because they had the resources that Pax needed to exploit? Because that's how the plot thread sounds like to me.
Sabosect
Is it possible the nukes were a fluke? That, out of the billions of possible outcomes, they accidentally hit on the one at the right moment where it would work as intended? If so, then if they tried it again, likely the nukes will rain daisies or something like that.
Oracle
Remember Bug City. The 'normal', none-magical nuke there did also have an effect on the astral space.
Elve
What is the time frame of SF?

It seems taht most of the stuff plays before 1/2. Nov 2064?
Is this correct? And if so, when does it events begin?
White Noise
Holy crap, it takes place in November? I put my game on hiatus near the end of October.

My players are going to hate me when I start the game up again.
Elve
The crash is 2. Nov imho
blakkie
QUOTE (Ellery)
"crop viruses that will cause huge fires to sweep the earth" (because viruses always make plants all over the planet spontaneously combust at the same time?).

That little bit does actually makes some sense. Dead plants burn much better than living plants. So the virus didn't start the fire, but it prepared vast tracts of fuel.
blakkie
QUOTE (Elve)
The crash is 2. Nov imho

Which is a Sunday. Apparently not only is the stockmarket is open Sundays, but it is a good day for an IPO. *shrug*
hahnsoo
Holy crap. I just downloaded System Failure from DrivethruRPG.com:
[ Spoiler ]

There's also art in the book that makes President Haeffner look like Jim J. Jameson of Spiderman fame.
Oracle
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (Elve @ Sep 1 2005, 03:11 AM)
The crash is 2. Nov imho

Which is a Sunday. Apparently not only is the stockmarket is open Sundays, but it is a good day for an IPO. *shrug*

Are you sure, that sundays matter to anyone in the world of Shadowrun? Don't think the corps need a day off. There is nuyen.gif to be earned.
blakkie
QUOTE (Oracle)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Sep 1 2005, 11:23 AM)
QUOTE (Elve @ Sep 1 2005, 03:11 AM)
The crash is 2. Nov imho

Are you sure, that sundays matter to anyone in the world of Shadowrun? Don't think the corps need a day off. There is nuyen.gif to be earned.

Yes, that apparently is the case. Well it propably matters to -some- people. Just like Saturday is the Day of Rest for some right now. Just not enough people that are running the asylum in 2064.

fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (hahnsoo @ Sep 1 2005, 04:23 AM)
Holy crap. I just downloaded System Failure from DrivethruRPG.com:
[ Spoiler ]

Now that is awesome. All this time, the little bugger keeps burning his dough, sending runner after runner against Villiers. He thinks he's got something going,taking on the big dogs. So Villiers shows him what power really is in the 6th world. THe power to drop a friggin meteor (more or less) on someone's 'hideout'. Now there's a lesson on why the corp always wins.

At least he went out with a bang! biggrin.gif
SirBedevere
QUOTE (Ellery)
Yes, I know it's part of the Threats entry. It didn't make any sense there, either, nor did "cryogenic supercritical nuclear masses" (sounds like another name for "nuke" to me, except the cryogenic part is irrelevant), nor did "subatomic dimensional linkages" (if they existed, how would you destroy anything with something subatomic?), nor did "necromantic transformation rituals" (you can pull that off on a global scale?), nor did "crop viruses that will cause huge fires to sweep the earth" (because viruses always make plants all over the planet spontaneously combust at the same time?).

I always viewed WN as completely crazy because their Threats entry made no sense whatsoever, either in the fiction or the goals stated in the rules--they'd be chasing gobbledygook pseudoscience to the end of time, convinced that it would bring about Ragnarok despite the phrases being nonsensical and barely even grammatical. Now I see that it is the authors who were crazy, because they used WN as the basis of their biggest plot element since...well...for a good long time. In terms of the impact on the world, it's the biggest since SR was introduced.

There are plenty of terrifying plausible threats that don't consist of three or four jargony terms glued together at random. Is it really that hard for an author to do a little bit of reading?

Edit: if they managed to run the plot so that WN's insanity was insane, but they nonetheless managed to do damage with bits of what they were planning even though half of it didn't work, then it could be cool. I guess I'm pessimistic about anything that sensible, with the prospects for such interesting commentary on the problems of insanity and false belief in an advanced technological society. That's too good of an opportunity to be taken advantage of.

I was in two minds about buying System Failure. I'm not now.

I assume the nuclear devices were enhanced with large quantities of the element 'handwavium'.
hobgoblin
ok, i want this one bad!
and thats only for the crash 2.0 chapter nyahnyah.gif

i cant say i have botherd much with the other setting and adventure books as frankly i got enough info about the world thru the mian sourcebooks and this forum.

but this, this is just insane!

im listing this next to the SR4 BBB as a must buy love.gif

hmm, i wonder how hard the PCC got hit by this crash. it was one of the most online NAN states out there...
blakkie
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Sep 1 2005, 03:36 AM)
At least he went out with a bang! biggrin.gif

Or more like a splat. cyber.gif

hmm, i wonder how hard the PCC got hit by this crash. it was one of the most online NAN states out there...

Well it did take over a chunk of SoCal, so probably pretty hard if they are that desparate for territory. wink.gif
hahnsoo
Actually, upon reading System Failure, the "magically enhanced" part of the weapons barely comes into play.

[ Spoiler ]
hobgoblin
[ Spoiler ]

oops, forgot what i was replying to...
Synner
a) the EMP-enhanced nukes are mostly small suitcase or tactical warheads.
b) UCAS intelligence captured a single batch of Winternight nukes in Threats with something like 8 warheads iirc.

Note - The original Threats chapter with updated 3rd Edition-compatible Game Information is in the works for the SR website. It also revisits some of the groups' goals in light of the revelations in System Failure.

QUOTE (Ellery)
It didn't make any sense there, either, nor did "cryogenic supercritical nuclear masses" (sounds like another name for "nuke" to me, except the cryogenic part is irrelevant), nor did "subatomic dimensional linkages" (if they existed, how would you destroy anything with something subatomic?), nor did "necromantic transformation rituals" (you can pull that off on a global scale?), nor did "crop viruses that will cause huge fires to sweep the earth" (because viruses always make plants all over the planet spontaneously combust at the same time?).

Keep in mind who says those things in context.

I always viewed WN as completely crazy because their Threats entry made no sense whatsoever, either in the fiction or the goals stated in the rules--they'd be chasing gobbledygook pseudoscience to the end of time, convinced that it would bring about Ragnarok despite the phrases being nonsensical and barely even grammatical.

And that's exactly what they wanted you to believe. They're a psychotic nihilistic cult-type insane not raving mad insane and they know exactly what they've been doing all along. There's a reason to their madness and it should make sense once you figure what they actually believe and what they're doing (then again I might be biased since I wrote the damn thing :P).
Jürgen Hubert
[ Spoiler ]
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Jürgen Hubert)
[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]
Oracle
No!

[ Spoiler ]
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Oracle)
No!

[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]
Oracle
[ Spoiler ]
JongWK
Re: Daviar & Mercury...

[ Spoiler ]
blakkie
[ Spoiler ]
JongWK
I wonder how many books FanPro could have sold if they'd used that line in an ad. nyahnyah.gif
Backgammon
So, technomancers are poeple who were jacked in the matrix when the crash happened?
JongWK
Not everyone.
Ellery
QUOTE (Synner)
QUOTE (Ellery)
It didn't make any sense there, either, nor did "cryogenic supercritical nuclear masses" (sounds like another name for "nuke" to me, except the cryogenic part is irrelevant), nor did "subatomic dimensional linkages" (if they existed, how would you destroy anything with something subatomic?), nor did "necromantic transformation rituals" (you can pull that off on a global scale?), nor did "crop viruses that will cause huge fires to sweep the earth" (because viruses always make plants all over the planet spontaneously combust at the same time?).

Keep in mind who says those things in context.

*cough*

Those are all in the Game Information. It's OOC. Page 29, last paragraph, left column.

It's nice that the magical part of the weapons didn't do much, apparently. If the magical part was irrelevant, though, why advertise the magical nature on the introductory page?
Critias
QUOTE (Ellery)
It's nice that the magical part of the weapons didn't do much, apparently. If the magical part was irrelevant, though, why advertise the magical nature on the introductory page?

To remind everyone they're not just playing CP:2020, silly. "Where man meets magic and machine" sound familiar to you? Nothing important can happen without both magic and machine being involved. Imbecile !!
Req
QUOTE (SirBedevere)
QUOTE (Ellery @ Sep 1 2005, 03:11 AM)
Yes, I know it's part of the Threats entry.  It didn't make any sense there, either, nor did "cryogenic supercritical nuclear masses" (sounds like another name for "nuke" to me, except the cryogenic part is irrelevant), nor did "subatomic dimensional linkages" (if they existed, how would you destroy anything with something subatomic?), nor did "necromantic transformation rituals" (you can pull that off on a global scale?), nor did "crop viruses that will cause huge fires to sweep the earth" (because viruses always make plants all over the planet spontaneously combust at the same time?).

I always viewed WN as completely crazy because their Threats entry made no sense whatsoever, either in the fiction or the goals stated in the rules--they'd be chasing gobbledygook pseudoscience to the end of time, convinced that it would bring about Ragnarok despite the phrases being nonsensical and barely even grammatical.  Now I see that it is the authors who were crazy, because they used WN as the basis of their biggest plot element since...well...for a good long time.  In terms of the impact on the world, it's the biggest since SR was introduced.

There are plenty of terrifying plausible threats that don't consist of three or four jargony terms glued together at random.  Is it really that hard for an author to do a little bit of reading?

Edit: if they managed to run the plot so that WN's insanity was insane, but they nonetheless managed to do damage with bits of what they were planning even though half of it didn't work, then it could be cool.  I guess I'm pessimistic about anything that sensible, with the prospects for such interesting commentary on the problems of insanity and false belief in an advanced technological society.  That's too good of an opportunity to be taken advantage of.

I was in two minds about buying System Failure. I'm not now.

I assume the nuclear devices were enhanced with large quantities of the element 'handwavium'.

Partially that, but it was the unobtanium that made it really work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012