Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR4 needs work
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Xenith
I personally !love! all of the concepts in SR4. The story, the backgroud, everything... except the damned rules!

It leaves almost no room for growth in skill. I'm fine if they have a cap on skills (even with magic and cyber) but to make it so low is disheartening. You want to make the dice pool smaller AND make skills all that more important (while still have the attributes with a say)? Have the attribute add half its rating to the pool damnit! Still simple and easy.

Also... explain. more. crap. It says that instruction adds to the pool to learn skills. What. ..pool!?

This system has so much potential but its a waste as is. You want to take more time to improve and tweak before releasing it? DO THAT! I can wait a few months ( won't like it but I'll fragging do it!)

I have a number of other complaints on the system but those are what irk me on a major level.

Is there a way to salavge it? Please tell me they're going to re-vamp it... so cool.... but such a waste...
Catsnightmare
Should have just fixed SR3, it wouldn't have been that hard, you wouldn't have this gigantic new-rules mess, you wouldn't have alienated a sizeable chunck of the exsisting players, I could go on, but I won't. I'll just sit here and laugh at the fact that SR4 is already halfway FUBAR. There's already lists of house rules being posted and it's been out less than a month.

I'm sure I said something before about SR4 going to wind up a rules cluster-fuck.

LOL
hahnsoo
It wasn't any different with previous SR releases or with releases of new editions of other RPGs. Give it a rest.

The risk that any RPG company takes in changing the core mechanic includes alienating your core audiences of fans and missing "holes" in the rules. Suffice to say, SR4 has been doing both, but at the same time, it brings a lot of possibility to the aging SR mechanic. They couldn't have simply "revised" the mechanic because all of the holes from the original mechanic would still be there (6 is the same as 7, Open tests, etc.).
Xenith
At first glance I don't mind the simplified set up. Fixed target number, thresholds, and such. Alright, thats fine. Altering armor a bit to add to body and make low caliber guns deal stun? Okay. Having reaction for dodging (this I like actually with the way initiative affects stats). Neat. Yes runners should be well rounded in many ways... but taking away the ability to focus and keep focusing on a set area... is just not fun.
I also enjoyed how previous editions held up skills as a bit more important than attributes. Then there was this crossover to White Wolf style game play. Well... White Wolf nWOD is an awesome system... very loose and flexible with little need for detail. Shadowrun... is all about detail. Its a game where you need to notice the small stuff (and which needs to be reflected in the rules).

Anyway... I truely want this edition to go through... I just want a bit more quality in the content of the rules...
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Xenith)
<snip>

Neat. Yes runners should be well rounded in many ways... but taking away the ability to focus and keep focusing on a set area... is just not fun. 

<snip>

I have already made made at two other posts on this particular topic.

Having to basically re-learn the mechanics all over in a setting that I have enjoyed immensely is a nusciance. Yeah, I dealt it with D&D 3.0, but in many ways WotC opened more possibilities instead of closed them with their overhaul. Limiting character growth IMHO takes one of the best aspects of the whole RPG concept away. It looks more and more that I will be sticking with SR3, idiosyncracies and all.

No gaming system is absolutely perfect, Or can ever expect to be. Some are better than others. If you want really over done complexity, look back at some of the games FGU put out back in the 80s like Space Opera (which I actually did manage to run for nearly three years) and Chivalry & Sorcery (so fraught with miniscule rules that it was completely unplayable). On the other end are systems like BRP (Call of Cthulu) and of course D20 which are simple and elegant and still lend themselves to excellent background colour.

I'll still pick up my copy of SR4 (when it finally ever comes in) just to have it in the gaming library. Eventually upgrade to the new timeline (when the campaign arc I am running ends), and work some of the new concepts in (like the WI-FI matrix, no magic loss from wounds, New cyber/bio etc.), But as for the mechanics, I think I'll stick to what already works for me and my group of players.
Xenith
I don't want "over-done complexity". I want a rehash of a few rather important areas of the rules. I enjoy most of it and want it as is... but there are several rules that are rather silly, runners starting as almost perfect fighters, hackers, or gunners is just silly... this takes away the fun of earning a damned rep and gaining skill slowly. I don't mind a skill cap.... but such a low skill cap is silly. I'd prefer a skill cap much like the attributes (1.5 times max) with a modified dice max of double the base skill. This not only fits with the adept power, allows for more growth, but allows for the skill levels of the legendary persons like Fastjack and such. I'd prefer to make the dice pool smaller somehow and have the focus on skills again, but the current rules make that nearly impossible.

There are a few other issues like the instruction skill explaination (adds dice the the dice pool to learn a skill.... what pool? where?).

I think the range needs work. Perhaps a -4 modifier instead of a -3 but that might just be nit picking there and comparing it to SR3 there.

I HATE how they did movement. Its outright dumb. Know anyone who can walk 10 meters in 3 seconds? I don't. Just to shed some light on it its about 30 feet. Use the original set up for movement. Agility or reaction for walking speed, and x3 for running (or 2.5 ft you want to stick to the charts set up.) I like how they gave Dwarves a penalty and Trolls a bonus, but beyond that... it sucks.

Agility is a bit too emphasized in the combat skills... lets see... about 18 of 75 skills which Logic ties in skills as well. Kinda makes strength useless unless you are a melee, bow, or thrown weapon fighter or running/swimming like hell. Not balanced when the skills agility has are all the gun skills, all the melee weapon skills, and so on. Much of it makes sense but there are a few skills that should be linked to strength. Like Clubs. Or they could just give strength a few more skills or something. This one isn't all that big a deal, I just feel that a bit of balance is needed.

I like the technomancer, I like the magic set up (almost excessively expensive to raise a magic stat above 6 but I can live with that.) And I hope they bring back the quick draw adept power in Street Magic.

I like.. no love the way they linked reaction (and the initiative boosting power/cyber) to oppose combat skills. This make me happy. biggrin.gif

I like this new edition's concepts and many of the rules, but many important rules seem to be bungled or at least hurried for publication.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Xenith @ Sep 9 2005, 03:57 PM)
but there are several rules that are rather silly, runners starting as almost perfect fighters, hackers, or gunners is just silly... this takes away the fun of earning a damned rep and gaining skill slowly. I don't mind a skill cap.... but such a low skill cap is silly.

You don't have to start as world-class or even legendary if your character isn't... the system just allows you to, if you want your character to be.
It's a shame that it is more restrictive on availability and ware, though.

(If the cap on attributes and skills would be 5, this would be nearly WoD.)
Walknuki
If you have a problem with skills caped at 9, change it. I can guarantee that the Fanpro police won't come kicking down your door and haul you off to gamer jail if you up the limit to 12 (or higher).

I haven't found many problems with the rules. The rules with cyber limbs starting at all stats 3 and only able to raise to 6 without a cyber torso doesn't sit right when you consider trolls and orks. So I just have a cyber arm start at the minimum for the Meta type plus two and have them be able to raise it to their starting maximum without a cyber torso. I don't think I need to worry about the RPGustapo coming for me in the middle of the night because I changed the rules to suit my game better.
Xenith
Errr... skills are capped at 6 not 9. 9 is the modified limit. So while karma brings it to 6 (or 7 with aptitude) your adept powers or cyberware can only add about three dice if you have the skill at 6.
Rotbart van Dainig
Indeed. It's sooo sad Adept Powers aren't able to effectively double your dice anymore...
Walknuki
QUOTE (Xenith)
Errr... skills are capped at 6 not 9. 9 is the modified limit. So while karma brings it to 6 (or 7 with aptitude) your adept powers or cyberware can only add about three dice if you have the skill at 6.

Then make the unmodified limit 9 and the modified limit 12. Or take away the modified limit. Or hell, if you want, take away the unmodified limit. It's totally up to you. My point is if a rule totally rubs you and your group the wrong way, change it.
Xenith
I detect sarcasm there.
Eh. I just want base skill to be as important as attributes, at least. Adept powers shouldn't raise it ubber high. Having about three levels of Improved ability is enough. So a Skill cap of 9 (10 with aptitude) with a modifed limit of 12 (13 with aptitude) seems fair enough to me. Allows room to grow. Certainly either double karma costs to buy skills about 6 or raise the multpier by one. I'd do the same with attributes above the natural max... maybe...

Seems like a nice set up to me.
mmu1
QUOTE (Walknuki)
If you have a problem with skills caped at 9, change it. I can guarantee that the Fanpro police won't come kicking down your door and haul you off to gamer jail if you up the limit to 12 (or higher).

Except that the game isn't going to work if you get rid of the caps. The mechanics will break down, and then there's also the sheer absurdity of (routinely, as opposed to only when you're using the one skill you're best at and burning a ton of combat pool) physically rolling 15-20 dice to make a skill check to consider.
Xenith
I don't mind keeping the caps, I simply want the caps higher. As is, the game has more of an emphasis on attributes with all the stat bonuses being thrown around. Skills become less important and specializations become.... very important.
Dashifen
How is that different, though, that real life. I have a speciality that's very important, I'm a programmer. My other skills are less important to me that my raw ability to learn to program and my programming skill (please, dear goddess, do not let this dissolve into a debate about the skill + program rating rule). My speciality is in PHP and I'm growing some serious skill with Python, too. Thus, I have a specialization that is more important than my skill, but it's but my attribtues are importent, too, for the basic, raw potential for me to learn that specialization.

SR4 seems to represent that pretty well so far.
Xenith
Its the number of dice it adds I'm concerned about. And your knowledge of programming is at least as much important as your logic. Sheer talent is good, but must be tempered with knowledge and experience.
Bandwidthoracle
QUOTE (mmu1)
QUOTE (Walknuki @ Sep 9 2005, 10:28 AM)

Except that the game isn't going to work if you get rid of the caps. The mechanics will break down, and then there's also the sheer absurdity of (routinely, as opposed to only when you're using the one skill you're best at and burning a ton of combat pool) physically rolling 15-20 dice to make a skill check to consider.

I would be inclined to argue that SR3 was not any better as far as throwing huge numbers of dice.
Xenith
I'm all for reducing the dice pool a bit, but the current rules set makes that unlikely... in fact the rules set doubles much of the dice pool and increases chances of success anyway even with threshold (which I will modify... too few a number of successes are needed for "extreme" and with the buy success option, runners with large pools can easily accomplish "extreme" on a daily basis. This is with the original rules I might add).

The more I think about this... the more I want to know how much they playtested this before release... it has some issues several other people who are reading it are noticing. And they are completely new to Shadowrun. Some of them rarely agree with me on various subjects and in this case... most of them agree.
mfb
QUOTE (Bandwidthoracle)
I would be inclined to argue that SR3 was not any better as far as throwing huge numbers of dice.

if one of your characters was rolling 15-20 dice every time they made a certain skill check in SR3, you must have been playing a slightly higher-powered game than most (given that several dumpshock polls show that most SR3 games don't go past ~30 karma). rolling 15-20 dice in SR3 is a big, big thing.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE ("mfb")
(given that several dumpshock polls show that most SR3 games don't go past ~30 karma)

Interesting, but not quite representative: As for suggested rewards, this would be 5-6 runs...
Xenith
It was also a big deal if you are rolling dice pools of about 10... oh wait... thats rather easy to do in the current rules set... *gasp* Oh no.
In fact, a standard starting character will have one, two, or maybe three different pools of 10 or more. So large pools are going to be a standard in thie new system and arguing that its so horrible to raise a skill cap is.... well... decide for yourself.
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb @ Sep 9 2005, 10:49 AM)
QUOTE (Bandwidthoracle)

if one of your characters was rolling 15-20 dice every time they made a certain skill check in SR3, you must have been playing a slightly higher-powered game than most (given that several dumpshock polls show that most SR3 games don't go past ~30 karma). rolling 15-20 dice in SR3 is a big, big thing.

Point build PCs you could be tossing mid to high teens in some skills, although the worst of those involved Centering dice. Which were really gross because they were either 2-stage rolls or one roll with two different coloured dice (what i normally did).

I do disagree though with it being the same number of dice. SR4 seems to lend itself to about roughly 25% more dice after factoring in the SR3 Pools [EDIT: and rerolls of 6's], depending on circumstances and playing styles.
Shadow
I thought one of the goal was to reduce the number of dice thrown?
blakkie
QUOTE (Shadow)

Who said that?
Xenith
I either remember something like that... or had assumed it so. Perhaps in stating that they wanted a "simplified, universal" system we had assumed they would reduce the number of dice rolled.
Shadow
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (Shadow @ Sep 9 2005, 11:09 AM)

Who said that?

The Fanpro guys back in March and April.
blakkie
Perhaps you assumed that, i never did. From early on in the FAQs i could see the extra dice taking shape. What they did though, it seems, is reduced the number of times you roll.
blakkie
QUOTE (Shadow)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Sep 9 2005, 09:10 AM)
QUOTE (Shadow @ Sep 9 2005, 11:09 AM)

Who said that?

The Fanpro guys back in March and April.

Quote?
Autarkis
I thought it was to reduce the number of dice pools. I will do some digging myself...
Shadow
To many threads to go through. Not worth digging through. Like I said "I thought" from some of the things that were talked about when it was first anounced.
mfb
the problem is that the system is broken coming and going. on one hand, there's almost no difference between the best in known history (att 7 skill 7) and the best you're likely to find (skill 6, att 6). granted, the same problem existed in SR3, but at least in SR3, you could argue that the skill level lables were insane (8 is the best in the world, but you can hit 14 if you try hard enough...?). on the other, if you raise the skill and attribute caps, you make modifiers even more insane than they already are. it's bad enough that a human at max ability and no augmentation can bullseye a different 500m target every three seconds with unerring accuracy; if you ignore the skill/attribute caps, a normal human will be able to bullseye a different 500m target every three seconds with unerring accuracy in total darkness.
Xenith
Well theres got to be a way to fix it somehow. I enjoy many of the ideas they have within the system; the background, the magic set up, the technomancer, initiative, reaction opposing combat skills and so on. I want it to work... I just know they way it is now is a waste and will not be be near as fun as SR3 is.
Birdy
QUOTE (mfb)
the problem is that the system is broken coming and going. on one hand, there's almost no difference between the best in known history (att 7 skill 7) and the best you're likely to find (skill 6, att 6). granted, the same problem existed in SR3, but at least in SR3, you could argue that the skill level lables were insane (8 is the best in the world, but you can hit 14 if you try hard enough...?). on the other, if you raise the skill and attribute caps, you make modifiers even more insane than they already are. it's bad enough that a human at max ability and no augmentation can bullseye a different 500m target every three seconds with unerring accuracy; if you ignore the skill/attribute caps, a normal human will be able to bullseye a different 500m target every three seconds with unerring accuracy in total darkness.

On the first rate shooter WITH skillcaps in place:

Can he "bullseye" the target that is hit the rather small (5cm in diameter IIRC) area at the center ring or can he HIT THE TARGET that is hit a man sized object? And under what circumstances? At the range? And for how long before he tires (Real life people, unlike RPG things do)

Big difference. Very big difference. I could not do the former but the latter is actually quite do-able for a trained military shooter with a good Battlerifle.

What happens if I throw modifiers in his direction? Most often problems with a combat system are due to the GM ignoring modifiers like target movement etc.

On the second one:

How much Karma will he need for that?

Birdy
Bandwidthoracle
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (Bandwidthoracle)

My last campaign was played almost every week for ~2 years, it started off low power, and by the end, 20 dice was not unheard of.

Also a munched otaku can start the game throwing 20 dice for computer skill in SR3
Pandamoanyum
QUOTE (Bandwidthoracle)
My last campaign was played almost every week for ~2 years, it started off low power, and by the end, 20 dice was not unheard of.

Also a munched otaku can start the game throwing 20 dice for computer skill in SR3

I wholeheartedly agree. At the beginning my Night One Decker was above average at Decking and nothing else. At the end of all things, he could learn any skill he wanted almost instantly due to maxed (and exceptional) Intelligence + Encephalon + Cerebral Booster + Mnemonic Enhancer. He also rolled 40 dice for programming (a Red-18 server was almost half the dice, but still...)

By that point, Otaku with Black Hammer were also *quite* scary compared to most security deckers.
mfb
QUOTE (Birdy)
Can he "bullseye" the target that is hit the rather small (5cm in diameter IIRC) area at the center ring or can he HIT THE TARGET that is hit a man sized object? And under what circumstances? At the range? And for how long before he tires (Real life people, unlike RPG things do)

a) re-read. i'm talking about comparisons between levels of ability. (for the record, the best-in-history shooter will average 3.67 successes, meaning he'll bullseye the target 2/3 of the time and hit really close to the bullseye 1/3 of the time.)

b) it doesn't matter. in real life, getting a 500m bullseye every three seconds, in perfect conditions, on a different target each shot is... impressive. impressive enough that not every runner group should have a member capable of attaining such a feat (which, even at skill 6 att 6, you can).
Xenith
I'll throw out a few quick ideas on how to reduce the dice pool while still keeping the emphasis on skills.

Only half the attribute counts towards the dice pool... I'm not really fond of this one.

The dice from the attribute is equal to the attribute... minus 2 or 3. (To reflect an average of sorts.) Still not quite what I'm looking for but better.

Anyone else have some ideas? Lets brainstorm on this, wether you like my opinion or not, lets try and make the system the best it can be. smile.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (mfb)
in real life, getting a 500m bullseye every three seconds, in perfect conditions, on a different target each shot is... impressive. impressive enough that not every runner group should have a member capable of attaining such a feat (which, even at skill 6 att 6, you can).

Well, it seems that with att 6, skill 6 you are indeed... Impressive with a big I - actually, you are world class.
mfb
that's part of my point. every competent runner group has at least one person who can accomplish this feat, or a similar one. truly impressive levels of skill are commonplace, in SR4--which makes them not-impressive.
Xenith
Perhaps rather than a dice penalty, require a threshold for ranges, and every success beyond that threshold adds to the damage? Or have both a dice penalty and threshold.
mfb
that was one of the proposed mechanics (i think it's even suggested as an option in the final version of the rules). there are problems with it, as well, mostly tending towards the opposite end--high skill people have a problem ever hitting extreme-range targets, and low skill people have no chance at all. it could probably be balanced with some work.
Birdy
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (Birdy)

a) re-read. i'm talking about comparisons between levels of ability. (for the record, the best-in-history shooter will average 3.67 successes, meaning he'll bullseye the target 2/3 of the time and hit really close to the bullseye 1/3 of the time.)

b) it doesn't matter. in real life, getting a 500m bullseye every three seconds, in perfect conditions, on a different target each shot is... impressive. impressive enough that not every runner group should have a member capable of attaining such a feat (which, even at skill 6 att 6, you can).

it's bad enough that a human at max ability and no augmentation can bullseye a different 500m target every three seconds with unerring accuracy

And you didn't answer my questions.

a) How accurate is the hit location system. In SR-3 it basically was "You hit the man". Does SR-4 state "You hit him exactly there?"

If it still uses the SR-3 style, the firing becomes much less impressiv. As stated, that's stuff most well-trained infantryman can do, so the "best" are actually not good enough under the SR-4 system.

b) What happens if you throw modifiers in the mix

Birdy
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (mfb)
every competent runner group has at least one person who can accomplish this feat, or a similar one. truly impressive levels of skill are commonplace, in SR4--which makes them not-impressive.

You know every runner group?

And who/what forces a player to spend karma in a way he doesn't see matching his character?
Xenith
Hmm... how about... Short range has no threshold or penalty, medium range has only a -1 dice penalty, Long range has a -2 dice penalty and a threshold of 1, and Extreme range has a dice penalty of -3 and a threshold of 2?

I'll throw out a few more just becuase

[Range
[Threshold
[Modifier
Medium
-
Long
Extreme

[Range
[Threshold
[Modifier
Medium
Long
Extreme
Pugwhan
Rember a few years ago with WOTC released the all new AD&D 3.0. Didn't they have to release AD&D 3.5 within a year? Maybe this is the road we are looking at. I didn't watch any of the AD&D boards at the time (to busy playing Shadowrun and not interested in AD&D). Wonder if those forums looked like this one.

Rotbart van Dainig
Just remove hits instead of dice? (This would be a treshold)
mfb
i know the character creation mechanics, which means i know the most likely types of character builds. i know that skill 6 and attribute 6 can be achieved without sacrificing too much ability in other areas, which means i know it shouldn't be all that uncommon--after all, if X is good, and everybody knows it's good, and it's not hard to get, everybody will have X.

birdy, i didn't answer your questions because they're completely tangential to my point. since you seem to be missing my point anyway (or, at least, you're not addressing it), i'll go ahead and answer.

a) levels of success indicate general hit location--lots of successes against a metahuman target mean you hit a critical spot (because the extra damage is likely to kill them), while fewer successes mean you hit a less-critical spot. the same principle can be applied to target-shooting; if you get lots of successes, you hit closer to the bullseye. 4 successes, in SR4, are defined as being extra-good; if you get 4 net successes, that means you've accomplished your task almost perfectly. i think it's therefore safe to say that 4 successes on a target-shooting roll = bullseye.

b) modifiers generally reduce the number of dice you roll. if you're rolling 14 dice, even total darkness (-8 dice) leaves you with two successes on average, or one success if you want to purchase it.

i'll note again that neither of these points are really salient to a comparison of level of ability.
Xenith
I think threshold rather than a modifer works well. And to smooth it out a little, you could (like I was arguing earlier) raise the skill caps a little to compensate, and have a slightly higher threshold for the rest of your skills. Compensates nicely, allows for a bit of character growth, allows skills to be reemphansized, and makes me far happier with the system.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (mfb)
i know the character creation mechanics, which means i know the most likely types of character builds. i know that skill 6 and attribute 6 can be achieved without sacrificing too much ability in other areas, which means i know it shouldn't be all that uncommon--after all, if X is good, and everybody knows it's good, and it's not hard to get, everybody will have X.

So this is why everybody plays Ork Mythical Adepts with Ware and maxed Commlinks?
Dashifen
QUOTE (mfb)

Odd, though, that I have worked now with 13 different people to create different characters and not one of them has an attribute at 6 nor does any of them have a skill at 6. None of them. Granted 13 isn't the best sample size, but I wonder, mfb, if you're just making assumptions or if you've worked through character generation with a large group of people?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012