Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR4 needs work
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Xenith
I'm just trying to see how many people have actually played the system rather than just read over the rules and how they felt it went. I'm just going with what I know so far and I'm trying to expand that knowledge. This is all a matter of opinion anyway, and I'm trying to get as much information as possible because, while I'm likely not to flip over, I'll certainly change my mind on certain areas. What I'll change my mind to? Who knows. I had assumed those involved would realize this ... but see what I get? smile.gif

Actually, said four adventures have used the standard rules. No house rules... yet. Interestingly enough, while certainly not min/maxed, all the characters "specialized" in a certain area and put a good focus on the skill(s) needed. Most of them had a rating 6 skill, with a specialization (+2 dice for almost nothing? Suuuure...).
Attributes were far more varied.
During play, they found a more broad skill base to be usefu. It made it interesting as well as slightly easier to plan than going min/maxed in SR3(a point I will give this current system is that it tends to gravitate toward a more broadened skill base) but everyone having a niche made it interesting as well as slightly easier to plan. However, the lack of growth in their particular field changed the gameplay and roleplaying a bit (and jumping around saying they're bad roleplayers would just show you're ignorant of the situation and people, so don't bother. Trust me, every session draws the lot of us into the setting and surroundings, not just from my efforts but theirs as well.) In this case it seemed to show either arrogance or a lack of interest if asked to put their skills to repetitive use (not universal but it seemed to crop up in four of the five characters in one way or another.)

Edit: I should add that while I had my concerns about what seemed to be problems in the low skill caps, it was confirmed by four of the players, with one player not really caring either way.
fastdos
As a playtester I was initially concerned with some of the early rules but the more we actually played, the better the rules seemed. So far as peoples concerns with maxing out and such, I'd suggest you wait for the shadowrun companion style supplement if and when such a thing comes out. I'm certain that there will be expansions that address the high-powered campaign. However, what's the point of having a super high level campaign where you're running around like Ryan Mercury. I don't see much opportunity for competitive play in that...
FrankTrollman
I've played SR4 on both sides of the GM's chair. And Xenith is right (if somewhat overblown):

* Skill caps are too low.
* Skill costs are too high.

These two problems are linked. The goal of the SR4 designes was pretty clearly to use to absurdly high cost of skills to give people stuff to work on late in their careers. This was not a successful strategy. What actually happens is that people max out their favorite skill at start, and suck in a lot of other things. Then character advanacement is dissapointingly slow because skills are so overpriced, and simultaneously dissappointingly irrelevent because the character already has a longarms skill as high as it will go.

I see what the design team was trying to do. They were trying to get people to diversify their characters with hard caps and give people things to work towards by making skills extremely expensive. This is not a successful strategy.

But then again, it's really not hard to swap that out by simply instituting some caps that are lower for starting characters than they are for experienced players and some advancement costs that are designed to be fair rather than punitive. The basic mechanics of shadowrun 4 are astoundingly easier. Until you've been there, you really have no idea how much nicer it is as a GM to be told how many hits a character got on their test than it is for a player to tell you how many 3s, 4s, 5s, 8s, and 11s, they got. Even rolling similar (or in some cases larger) piles of dice in SR4, the resolution is astoundingly faster for that reason alone.

-Frank
hobgoblin
i think the real problem is that the skill-6 level is labeld as best of the best in that field. now if it was labeld train professional it may make more sense...
Rotbart van Dainig
Best of the Rest, actually.
Bandwidthoracle
We've played two sessions with it now, the the rules seem to work much smoother than SR3. We had 20man combat that lasted turns and turns, and it didn't take the whole night
kigmatzomat
We got our group together last night. It was a mix of people who'd been playing since SR1 BBB hit the local game store's shelves to those who'd only been in one shortlived SR3 campaign.

The group made characters: a dwarven combat mage, elven summoner, ork adept of speed, elven sneak, lucky human jack of all trades, and an elven 2-gun-fu with Super Warhawks.

Since my very first SR1 experience was Food Fight I decided to run a rehash, with the group randomly scattered through a Stuffer Shack when a group of Halloweeners comes in. Between the ork's grenade and the 2-gun-fu, about half the gang was toast at the start of the 2nd IP. The few who didn't spend their action diving for cover managed to scuff up the summoner's body armor with roomsweeper shot. The surprised PCs put up protective spells or moved into defensible postions. The fight ended the second pass as the party mopped up the dregs.

Test run #2 had the party inside a warehouse, trying to swap out a package. The summoner has a F:5 beast spirit on standby with a pair of watchers at each door while the combat mage sent a F:2 air spirit to keep an eye outside. 4 Tir Ghosts hit the scene for their own purposes, easily sneaking past the rather dumb air elemental. The fight kicks off with a flashbang from the Tir going off and the jack of all trade's Comm shutting down. Three ghosts drop through the ceiling only to be greeted by the unsurprised ork who again lobs a grenade. The 4th ghost, a leutenant, stays on the roof to hack comms and to run the pair of Lynxes they brought as backup but aren't supposed to use unless absolutely necessary.

This fight is messier with the grenade and the spirits screwing up the Ghosts. An Intercept action by the beast spirit killed one ghost as his choice was to stand next to a grenade, run past the spirit or try a 20' vertical leap. In retrospect, he should've gone for the 20' leap. 2gunfu takes out one ghost with one shot before he runs out of targets. 2gunfu and the ork both wind up staying defensive for several IPs b/c they are out of targets and are guarding an entrance. The jack of all trades has started the van manually as the mages and the sneak try to get inside. The F2 spirit is ordered to accident one of the Tir but manages to critical glitch, turning his power on the jack of all trades but managed to critical glitch that. I scratched my head and we just moved on.

The sneak gets shot by one of the ghosts but survives to return fire. The best spirit, pretty much unphased by the grenade, finishes him off. The 2gunfu's decoy Comm beeps as the hacker shuts it down. Blindfire, a fireball, and a grenade are fired at the roof. The last ghost tells the drones to seek'n destroy. Things get interesting when the lynxes bust down the door. I though about rolling for "surprise in combat" but since there was a watcher at each door screaming "TANK!" I figured it was redundant. One drone managed to critical glitch shooting the exposed mage so we ruled part of the door was jammed in the feed mechanism. The other just about killed the summoner.

2gunfu and Ex-Ex SuperWarhawks managed a one-shot kill on one Lynx and maimed the other. The decker had managed to hop into the surviving lynx and was destroying the van. Only the jack of all trade's Edge:7 was keeping the thing intact. Finally, the mage blew the drone up, even as the summoner sent his still-alive beast spirit up to the roof to kill anything it found. Gunfire is heard as the ghost comes out of dumpshock only to find the spirit and some Edge-laden blindfire from the sneak manage to finally kill him.

I kept looking for rules about small arms vs vehicles but from what I can tell, the 2gunfu really can slaughter a Lynx with a Warhawk, autofire seems more useful with wide bursts than narrow, spirits are mean, and Edge is a good thing. Opponents who don't have decent skills aren't credible threats for 'runners (four rounds of buckshot at close range hit the summoner and he took maybe 3 boxes of stun) and wires are something of a necessity.

I wish they'd made all movement rates easily divided by 4; using a 1m grid the ork adept with 4 passes got 2.5m/IP. They probably should just go ahead and give movement rates in meters/IP just so the timing is a little more accurate.
hobgoblin
lovely story!

love the mental image of watchers screaming TANK! while the lynx's come crashing thru the doors rotfl.gif

and the idea of picking between a grenade, a spirit and a 20' leap straight up, flawless cool.gif

but i think the prize goes to the air spirit that criticaly glitches two times in a row silly.gif
blakkie
the 2gunfu really can slaughter a Lynx with a Warhawk,

... with Ex-ex ammo.
kigmatzomat
Not sure if the ExEx was the critical factor or if it was the absolute amount of twinking that went into the character. Elf, Exceptional Agility, Aptitude Pistols, Specialization:Revolvers, Ambidexterity, Muscle Toner, Enhanced articulation means Agility:10 + Skill:7 + 2 specialization + 1 Enh. Art + 2 dice smart = 22 dice.

Average of 7 successes, if I understood the drone rules it got 6 dice to resist ~ 2 successes, net 5. Modified DV=12. Body 4+ Armor (9-2)7 = 11 dice ~ 4 successes = 8 boxes. Under normal circumstances, the Warhawk would just about nuke this drone. IIRC, the dice really liked the shooter and came up with ~10 successes.

The flip side was 2gunfu was an idiot (Logic:1) who shot first (Intuit:4) and thought about the consequences later. Oh, and his Body was 3 so if he got shot he wasn't much tougher than the summoner. He also was useless at anything other than beating on people.

We were tryin' to break the system so this wasn't indicative of the group's play style. I think we decided that rounded characters are more appealing, that SR4 doesn't really nerf a character more than SR2/3 did (at least early in a career, not sure about advancement yet) and that anytime you make 1-dimension character you get something razor sharp but fragile.
hahnsoo
Enhanced Articulation does not add dice to Combat skills. It only adds to Physical skills linked to Physical attributes.
Cain
Well, let's say he has more 'actual game experience' with the playtesting draft he got.

If you've follwed the press releases, MFB's comments were posted around the same time Rob made the comment that the rules were pretty much set in stone. And, he *still* has more actual game experience than any of us.

'Always' tends to get your arguments screwed - so does it here.
'min/maxing' and 'some higher, some lower' are different pairs of shoes, too - it's a scale, but a difference nonetheless.

Min/Maxing: Minimizing your character's disadvantages and maximizing their advantages. That's the same thing. And if you want to get into the logical fallacies, I can play that game too: Your first point is Begging the Question. (I'm going to link them, just so you can see how to use the logical fallacies properly.)
Sadly, this does neither have to do anything with min/maxing, nor SR4 in special.
On the other Hand, it not even half of the truth - to become an actual character, there is a bit more necessary.

First of all, Fallacy of Exclusion. You're trying to convince us that because a "bit more is necessary", the entire premise in invalid.
Second, not really. Have you taken any method acting classes? You always start with the character's strengths and weaknesses. This is a necessary step. Too many people think you should just skip to the complicated stuff, while missing the basics of acting and character roleplay. That's one reason many roleplaying elitists tend to be worse roleplayers overall.
The decision is: Do you want to tell that story in play, or do you want it have told when starting to tell others in play?
This decision is not only valid but normal: One seldomly starts playing a Character with its birth.

If you've studied any form of fiction writing, you'll know that the meat of the story is the middle-- after the character has gotten his start, but before he reaches his goals. In the middle, he's gotten most of what he needs; but is missing one or two critical elements. Look at Lord of the Rings, for an example-- Aragorn was born with the charisma, birthright, and leadership skill to become the King, and he could claim the sword whenever he felt like. He merely lacked the will and desire. Nowhere in the books does Aragorn suddenly become a better fighter or general-- he's had those abilities from the get go.
'If you are really intelligent, then you accept that I'm right.' - thats a false dilemma, too... only a more obvious one.
Sorry, but there is nothing that forces one into such an int-then routine, especially not with such complex themes.

Straw Man. You're trying to ignore my argument in favor of one you can win.
In any event, if you've studied acting, literature, or creative writing, you'll rapidly discover that there's no end to character development. Heck, if you've read a self-help book, you'll see that there isn't an end to self-discovery and self-improvement. If that's too much, just watch a few E! Hollywood Stories episodes; the characters there show constant development and change.
'If you don't accept that I'm right, you are stupid.' - yet again... a false dilemma.
It misses the point, too - which is not 'roleplay can cover for stats' but 'roleplay and stats should match'.

Another Straw Man. Almost every press release said that one goal of SR4 is to make things "grittier". Running around with best-in-the-world stats and playing a "gritty" game are mutually exclusive-- the purpose of a gritty game is to play things in the down-and-dirty; while the absolute-pinnacle-of-human-achievement characters should be world-movers and shakers-- professional athletes, top-grade scientists, and so on. We're not only being asked to roleplay mismatched stats; people like you are arguing that this isn't a bad thing. Essentially, you're suggesting that roleplay can make up for flawed rules.
FrankTrollman
There is an absolute problem as regards hardened armor - it doesn't scale properly. If you have hardened armor of X, you ignore any attack of DV X or less. But against an attack of X+1 or more, you only get X dice to resist the damage. So if a weapon can hurt you at all, it is going to be doing 2X/3 actual wounds to you. So for any sufficiently large X, you can't not be instantly destroyed by any weapon capable of harming you.

That's actually pretty dumb. But it's something that I can live with. I would rather that hardened armor reduced DV by its value, as this would make its effect on a weapon of DV X and DV X+1 identical.

-Frank
Commiekeebler
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
So for any sufficiently large X, you can't not be instantly destroyed by any weapon capable of harming you.

Sounds to me like what happened to tanks in WWII as armor got thicker and thicker...

Although, even then, you could get a glancing hit that didn't do much, from the same deadly caliber weapon or maybe get a caterpillar broken...
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Cain)
If you've follwed the press releases, MFB's comments were posted around the same time Rob made the comment that the rules were pretty much set in stone.  And, he *still* has more actual game experience than any of us.

Just not with the printed Version of SR4.

QUOTE (Cain)
Min/Maxing: Minimizing your character's disadvantages and maximizing their advantages.  That's the same thing.

No. If one maximizes ones Characters disadvantages, he has A/D, too.

QUOTE (Cain)
And if you want to get into the logical fallacies, I can play that game too: Your first point is Begging the Question

An quite appropriate resolution for an false dilemma.

QUOTE (Cain)
You're trying to convince us that because a "bit more is necessary", the entire premise in invalid.

Because it is - characters are not exclusively defined by their strengths and weaknesses, like you were trying to suggest.

QUOTE (Cain)
You always start with the character's strengths and weaknesses.  This is a necessary step.

No, its just an easy method to do so. One can start with the curiculum vitae of an character instead, and then choose s&w accordingly.

QUOTE (Cain)
Too many people think you should just skip to the complicated stuff, while missing the basics of acting and character roleplay.

The only part of choice of strengths and weaknesses that is complicated is the 'conscious' part. Most people simply do it intuitively, which can create problems if things seem the same, but aren't.
As it was 'learned' that in SR3, 6 was a 'normal' stat (it wasn't, even there), most people simply kept on that with SR4.

QUOTE (Cain)
the meat of the story is the middle-- after the character has gotten his start, but before he reaches his goals.

So if its not a goal to become perfect in one ability, it is viable to not make it part of the history.

QUOTE (Cain)
Look at Lord of the ings, for an example

Look at Zaitoichi, for an example.

QUOTE (Cain)
there's no end to character development.

There is - the whole olympics thing is a celebration of this limit.
What you call 'character development' mostly is a process of diversification, not specialization, and most of the time, it quite minimal...

QUOTE (Cain)
Almost every press release said that one goal of SR4 is to make things "grittier".  Running around with best-in-the-world stats and playing a "gritty" game are mutually exclusive

Nope. The neuromancer trilogy showed otherwise.
As you seem to know what fallacies are, why do you love the false dilemma so much?

QUOTE (Cain)
the purpose of a gritty game is to play things in the down-and-dirty

No, no 'in the'... just 'play things down-and-dirty' - BTW where does 'the absolute-pinnacle-of-human-achievement' gives you immunity?

QUOTE (Cain)
while the absolute-pinnacle-of-human-achievement characters should be world-movers and shakers-- professional athletes, top-grade scientists, and so on.

No. In fact, in a gritty game, it is essential that the 'world-movers and shakers' are what they are because of money, intrigues and nepotism... skill is nice, but can be substituted by hiring someone skilled.

QUOTE (Cain)
We're not only being asked to roleplay mismatched stats

No, you weren't - reference, please.

QUOTE (Cain)
people like you are arguing that this isn't a bad thing.

On contrary, like I said before - the problem arises only when stats and character don't match.

QUOTE (Cain)
Essentially, you're suggesting that roleplay can make up for flawed rules.

Nope, I say that, depending on the range of choice given by rules, conscious choice can become more necessary.
Necromonky
Having never played SR3 I'll go ahead and put on my flame retardant suit.
But having experienced SR4 and playing other tabletop RPG's for years, GM'ing and playing.
I think the majority of the responsibility lies on the shoulders of the GM.
I've been reading this thread and I'm noticing for the most part people are crying nerf. Complaints that players are coming out of the gates to strong to fast.
Well the single most effective solution seems obvious to me.

At character creation, give your players a limited amount of build points.
270-300 build points ensures a somewhat effective char without having the legendary char at start up people seem to be having.
And even if a player takes those 270 bp and min-maxes to make a legendary char by having a huge agility, all his other attributes will suffer, his gear and other skills will be mediocre at best.
Guns are surprisingly cheap in the manual, so as the GM raise the prices. Blame it on inflation or a shortage of goods on the market.
Also the core book says you can spend up to 1/2 the given BP towards attributes in character creation, as a GM make it only 1/3rd.
The book basicly says GM's has the power to change whatever he/she feels like...so take advantage of it. I'm hearing from a friend who has played SR3 since beginning that it was released as the Bible of SR3 what it says goes and you don't have much room for change. SR4 seems to go in the opposite direction, giving you the freedom as a GM to make critcal calls on all the balance issues that ensue with your particular game.
While most GM's do not like placing to many restrictions on players, because most players will whine about how they aren't free to do as they want.
Most players will agree that power is the "end game" objective.
If you as the GM give them that power from the get go, its like playing Doom 3 with god mode on....sure you get to go around slaughtering everything with no chance of dying, but you loose interest fairly quickly.
If you give the player the "craving" for power and make them work to get it...that sense of accomplishment will be much more satisfied when they finally get that 6 attribute and 6 skill.
And by that point they have done enough runs and earned enough reputation, that yeah they are actually considered more than professionals, almost legendary statis. I don't think I've covered everything I wanted to but this post is getting long as it is.

Necro

*edit* edited a sentence that wasn't worded the way I wanted it to be.
Necromonky
By the way, I forgot to mention I like SR4, I think its concepts and rules are pretty sound, and provide a good foundation. But like I said there is alot of responsibility for the GM to keep everything balanced.

necro
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
QUOTE (Cain)

How is it, then, that some people dominate a particular sport for years on end, if the top participants are equally good?

For example, how did Sergei Bubka manage to win 6 World Championships and an Olympic Championship, as well as improving the world record in pole vaulting 35 times and setting the one that still stands today, if the people who competed against him all had equal skill and attributes?

Or better yet, how do you explain Alexander Karelin, the three-time Greco-Roman Wrestling Olympic gold medalist in the super heavyweight division? Certainly his top opponents had achieved the "pinnacle of human achievement", yet he went undefeated in international competition from 1987-2000, not to mention not giving up a single point from 1994 to 2000. Did he simply roll better for 13 consecutive years?
hobgoblin
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
So for any sufficiently large X, you can't not be instantly destroyed by any weapon capable of harming you.

and if you look at it the right way that makes sense.

and what way is that? well, you have a outer shell thats 2-3 times tougher then the rest of the construction. kinda like a bug in a way. get past that outer layer and the insides dont stand a chance resisting whats coming thru.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
QUOTE (Cain)

How is it, then, that some people dominate a particular sport for years on end, if the top participants are equally good?

a better dice roll at the moment of the test. or maybe a smarter use of edge nyahnyah.gif

they all have good days and bad days.

skills are not everything...
Austere Emancipator
Right... And Mr Karelin somehow managed not to have a single bad day for 13 consecutive years?
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE ("Austere Emancipator")

First - do you really think differences in fractions of seconds or centimeters are being modeled correctly by a system scaling from 1 to 7?
Second.. are they? Even if we assume the usability, wouldn't most, in SR4 Terms rate a 6, and some few rate a 7, not forgetting attribute and edge (or drugs)?
Wouldn't only those examples you put up qualify as 7... as the are 'legendary'?

The more important question is: Why didn't those become even better relevantly?

Why is the field at the top so stretched thin and in heavy concurrence, yet not suddenly exploding upwards, if there is no limit?
hahnsoo
My money is on "better tailored athletic drugs", but that's the Olympics for you. It's not cheating if you don't get caught... smile.gif

EDIT: Added a smiley, for those who mistake my post as anything but jest. Sorry about that.
Austere Emancipator
First - do you really think differences in fractions of seconds or centimeters are being modeled correctly by a system scaling from 1 to 7?

How about modeling the fact that someone can beat every opponent without giving up a single point in wrestling? Or being able to jump 5-10% higher on the pole vault than any other living person?

Anyway, the system obviously doesn't scale from 1 to 7, it scales from 1 with penalties(?) to 14 with 6s rerolled. At the highest end, 1 extra die is an average increase in successes of 7.14%, and every successive extra die not only costs more and more, but also means less and less. To reliably beat someone every time (as people like Alexandr Karelin did), you need a lot more than 7.14% more successes on average. Just having a 60-40% advantage, or even 65-35% advantage over someone would hardly explain a 13-year unbeatable streak.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
My money is on "better tailored athletic drugs", but that's the Olympics for you.

Do you think Bubka looks, or ever looked, like he used a lot of steroids? Do you seriously believe the Soviet Union was 15 years ahead of the rest of the world (including China and East Germany) in steroid manufacturing, but only used those steroids on Mr Karelin?

(Not that it matters for the discussion at hand, since as far as I can figure steroids wouldn't help you break the hard limits in SR4.)
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Sep 12 2005, 02:04 PM)
Right... And Mr Karelin somehow managed not to have a single bad day for 13 consecutive years?

more likely, he didnt have a bad day when it counted nyahnyah.gif

or maybe he was on something but was never caught?

but best solution is just to relabel the to end from best of the best to pro in their field.
or maybe add a (localy) at the end of the level description silly.gif
Austere Emancipator
If it's pure luck and basic medicine that makes unbeatable athletes, I wonder why people like Karelin and Bubka trained 8-12 hours a day, every day, when their opponents did not.

QUOTE (hobgoblin)
or maybe he was on something but was never caught?

If Karelin was on something, you can bet your ass so was everybody else who competed against him in the Olympic finals.

And, like I just edited in above, it wouldn't matter unless steroid use allows you to break the attribute and skill limits.
Rotbart van Dainig
Anyway, the system obviously doesn't scale from 1 to 7, it scales from 1 with penalties(?) to 14 with 6s rerolled.

Actually, if you take all basic factors, then it scales from 1 to 24 with 6s rerolled for unaugmented humans, not including penalties.

And, like I just edited in above, it wouldn't matter unless steroid use allows you to break the attribute and skill limits.

Drugs indeed allow to break the natural limit for attributes in their time of effect, while some induce a painresistence and therfore allow to ignore penalties of exhaustion.
Austere Emancipator
Actually, if you take all basic factors, then it scales from 1 to 24 with 6s rerolled for unaugmented humans, not including penalties.

I'll take your word for it, not having the book. That only makes your earlier point ("do you really think differences in fractions of seconds or centimeters are being modeled correctly by a system scaling from 1 to 7?") more silly, as now you'd have an additional increase in average successes of 4.17% if you somehow managed one more die, which would quite accurately model fractions of a second in a 100-meter race or a few more centimeters in pole vaulting.

Drugs indeed allow to break the natural limit for attributes in their time of effect [...]

I'd like to think if these guys had always had some serious drug coctails running through their veins during competition someone would have caught them. No one ever did.

hahnsoo: I missed the joke because apparently some people are seriously trying to make that same argument. Anyway, the Olympics is simply a great way to demonstrate that there is no clear, hard limit on what humans can achieve -- or if there is one, nobody seems to have hit it yet.
hahnsoo
Do you think Bubka looks, or ever looked, like he used a lot of steroids? Do you seriously believe the Soviet Union was 15 years ahead of the rest of the world (including China and East Germany) in steroid manufacturing, but only used those steroids on Mr Karelin?

(Not that it matters for the discussion at hand, since as far as I can figure steroids wouldn't help you break the hard limits in SR4.)

Just to clarify, I was making a joke. A rather obscure and bad one, it looks like, so I went back and added a smiley to save face in an edit. I'm frankly not interested in making any arguments for or against Olympic-level athletes and how they fit (or don't fit) in the scheme of SR4.
hobgoblin
it becomes pure luck and good medicine when everyone is at the peak of physical ability. then there is a question of maintaining that state year after year. at some point the body just stops as it have buildt in limits and all the training goes into maintaining that limit.

and who knows if not everyone in the cold war olympics where not on something?

most likley tho i think that the exceptional skill/attribute or whatever its called isnt as available in real life as it is in SR nyahnyah.gif

but hell, its been said pre-SR4 that if the number of runners where represented by the number of people playing SR then there would basicly be to many of them wink.gif

thing is that if you want to reprecent real life then quailtys should not be buyable but rather be rolled to reprecent their randomness. as long as they are buyable anyone and their dog will get it just to tweak out fully. but then if they could have it, everyone would driving ferraris or better wink.gif

we are all muchkins at heart nyahnyah.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
I'll take your word for it, not having the book.

It's always fun working without reference, isn't it?

That only makes your earlier point ("do you really think differences in fractions of seconds or centimeters are being modeled correctly by a system scaling from 1 to 7?") more silly, as now you'd have an additional increase in average successes of 4.17% if you somehow managed one more die, which would quite accurately model fractions of a second in a 100-meter race or a few more centimeters in pole vaulting.

Depends on the perspective.

When judging overall performance including fitness and luck, indeed.
When judging bare, technical skill, not.

Latter which, as stated, was the predominant factor considering Bubka's records.
So, in fact, the system can't model those fine differences in technique.

Anyway, the Olympics is simply a great way to demonstrate that there is no clear, hard limit on what humans can achieve -- or if there is one, nobody seems to have hit it yet.

The latter, as it would be limited growth in expertise in reality.
Austere Emancipator
hobgoblin: So you do admit that "luck" hardly explains how these guys always soundly beat all their opponents for years on end? And that the medicine, which was equally available for just about everyone in all powerful nations, and which wouldn't help you develop better technique (which Bubka and Karelin obviously had compared to their opponents), fails just as spectacularly in the same?

QUOTE (hobgoblin)
most likley tho i think that the exceptional skill/attribute or whatever its called isnt as available in real life as it is in SR nyahnyah.gif

Yes. It definitely makes sense that hardly any of the people competing for the Olympic gold medal in a sport have a natural aptitude for their sport. indifferent.gif
hobgoblin
bingo.

look at runners from african nations, and then more specificaly from one area, vs the rest of the world. there is something there that makes them more or less consistently better then the rest at what they do...

and medicine just helps push the luck factor in the right direction. get a bad start and you may not be able to recover. that to me is equal to a bad roll.

in the end we may never know how he did what he did, and frankly i dont care.
when i play SR its not to compete in the olympics, its to do something that at best will get me in jail if done in real life, at worst i may well end up shot.
Austere Emancipator
When judging bare, technical skill, not.

What you were originally asking after, "fractions of seconds or centimeters", is a measure of outcome, which 4.17% more successes on average does accurately model. Superior technical skill is indeed more accurately modeled in an RPG with some quantitative increase in the skill rating like, I don't know, 14.3%.

It's always fun working without reference, isn't it?

I am still working with the reference of you claiming the Olympics shows how all humans have the same hard limit on what they can achieve in a particular area, and the actual Olympic records which show the exact opposite.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
look at runners from african nations, and then more specificaly from one area, vs the rest of the world. there is something there that makes them more or less consistently better then the rest at what they do...

Then I guess you've never watched the Olympics finals in either short or long distance running? Notice how the finalists are overwhelmingly of African origin -- either mostly East-Central African in case of long distance running, or Western African in case of 100-400 meters. The people who seriously compete for the gold medals at Olympics are, by your very own standards, the people with a lot of natural aptitude in those sports. Thank you for making my point for me.

QUOTE (hobgoblin)
in the end we may never know how he did what he did, and frankly i dont care.
when i play SR its not to compete in the olympics, its to do something that at best will get me in jail if done in real life, at worst i may well end up shot.

I guess this is like the more apathetic version of the "It doesn't matter if the rules are screwed, we'll just play it in a way as to not let it bother us."
hobgoblin
maybe so. but in the end i play a game to have fun, not to simulate physics down to the last quark or whatever.

so yes, i play as the rules wants it to be, not how RL wants it to be.

sometimes i even end up wondering what your kind is doing on this board as you simply seems to not like any variation on the SR rules out there. why cant you and your fellows take a virtual walk and make your own rpg the way you want it and leave SR to the people that dont feel like complaining about every , . and ! of the text?
Rotbart van Dainig
What you were originally asking after, "fractions of seconds or centimeters", is a measure of outcome, which 4.17% more successes on average does accurately model. Superior technical skill is indeed more accurately modeled in an RPG with some quantitative increase in the skill rating like, I don't know, 14.3%

Yet, those successes translate into meters, so this point is quite moot.

you claiming the Olympics shows how all humans have the same hard limit on what they can achieve in a particular area

Nope. As said, there the difference of 6 and 7, not achievable for everyone.

and the actual Olympic records which show the exact opposite.

Do they?
Research shows that in some parts, they just reached some of the capability of the antique, again.
Given abstraction, there is a limit.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
so yes, i play as the rules wants it to be, not how RL wants it to be.

That's fine, I've got nothing against that style of gaming. However, I suggest not arguing for the realism of any rules set where you need to make that kind of call.
hobgoblin
im not aguing that they are solidly realistic, im arguing that they are good enough to get the job done. and that flaws only show up on the theorietical level as one trow away many of the limitations and only focus on one thing, being able to do one thing at the best it can be done with the rules given.

any rpg will break down at that point as they are not tuned for that kind of min-maxing. rather they are tuned for characters that have a broad base to stand on and then grow from there.

then there is the factor of fun. where is the fun when there is no difficulty?

where is the fun where the player have tweaked their char so into the stratosphere that the GM either have to attack the persons weaknesses and therefor run the whole character or basicly throw equaly insanely tweaked NPC at the char and then watch then duke it out until either side calls it quits.

then there is the unescapeable power of the dice. this have the bad habbit of sooner or later coming up badly. but in RL you dont have a dice that can go bad no matter what you do. instead you have a probability curve that can be flattend as you conpensate for diffrent variables. in the end you hit the point where a person can do the best they can do no matter what you trow at him.

that is the one element that seperate game from real life.

yes, to some degree SR1-3 simulated that better by having open ended skills. but that allso lead to people being able to crumple a carrier with a single blow without the aid of cyber or magic, in theory. to get there you would have to be insane sure but if it can be done it will be done.

as it now stands the players will know that they can allways meet someone that can match then for skills without the gm having trown out the book and just cloned their character sheet. sure you may say that any top end character in SR4 is a clone of anyone else thanks to the hard cap but i dont see a problem with that as now we know that sooner or later one will hit a limit in ability.

in the end i think the only flaw is that they put the label of best of the best on the top end skill level. instead it should read something like true professional in that field. ie, your not the top world wide performer in said field but you realy know what your doing when your doing it.

as the rules are now its simpler to play the tech noir kinda feel that films like blade runner and most cyberpunk books have. your no longer ryan mercurys clone, your a normal person trying to do his best with what he got.

but in the end it comes down to playing style. and by the looks of it, SR4 will fit my style nicely.
Austere Emancipator
Yet, those successes translate into meters, so this point is quite moot.

I'll try to explain it again, then, in case you are not misunderstanding the point on purpose.

"fractions of seconds or centimeters" are about the results, the outcome of using a set of skills (including "bare, technical skill"), attributes, etc. in a particular situation.

In a P&P RPG, the "bare, technical skill" is modeled by a better skill rating. In the case of Sergei Bubka, let's say 14.3% better (8 vs 7). That 14.3% better bare, technical skill would have increased his total ability in this particular sport by the aforementioned 4.17% (25 vs 24), which will in a standardized situation lead to 4.17% better results on average -- which is quite amazing, seeing as the difference between Bubka's best (6.14 meters) and what his greatest opponents were jumping at the time (5.9 meters) comes out to 4.07%.

Nope. As said, there the difference of 6 and 7, not achievable for everyone.

In your own words, "the whole olympics thing is a celebration of this limit [to character development]". Anyway, are you seriously arguing that out of the hundreds of thousands of people actively partaking in a particular sport, it's often the ones with no aptitude who end up in the Olympic finals and other competitions between the best of the best?

QUOTE (Robart van Dainig)
Do they?

Yes, they do. The actual Olympic records show that, even between people with great amounts of natural aptitude, who all have amazing physiques, and who have trained have trained every day for years and years on end, the one who has worked out even harder and who has trained even better with even better trainers can be clearly better.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
yes, to some degree SR1-3 simulated that better by having open ended skills.

That is pretty much all I'm arguing here. At no point in this thread have I claimed that games must be realistic, or that realism is objectively better. It just happens that an open-ended skill progression with ever increasing cost vs. ever decreasing gains is more realistic than an easily achievable hard limit. Whether that makes for a more enjoyable game depends on how you like to play.

BTW, unarmed attacks (or any melee attacks for that matter) cannot destroy aircraft carriers in SR3, because of the way staging works in the melee combat rules and because of the Naval Damage and Hull rules. You can only sink patrol boats or smaller vessels. wink.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
"fractions of seconds or centimeters" are about the results, the outcome of using a set of skills (including "bare, technical skill"), attributes, etc. in a particular situation.

As said - not in an that abstract system.

Anyway, are you seriously arguing that out of the hundreds of thousands of people actively partaking in a particular sport, it's often the ones with no aptitude who end up in the Olympic finals and other competitions between the best of the best?

That's the very definition of skill 6 by the rules.
It seems your definition of 'aptitude' is different than the one of the rules... which justs states that with that, people can achieve others cannot.

The actual Olympic records show that, even between people with great amounts of natural aptitude, who all have amazing physiques, and who have trained have trained every day for years and years on end, the one who has worked out even harder and who has trained even better with even better trainers can be clearly better.

Yet being ultimatly limited by human physics.
hobgoblin
so how about we declare 18 as the new max in skills? but going over attribute costs you atleast double the karma that it would normaly do?

that way one have better resolution while still having a hard cap that you know cant be passed. hell, even in SR3 and older, 18 in skill was in the area of insane and on the treshold of cheesy...
Taki
The actual Olympic records show that, even between people with great amounts of natural aptitude, who all have amazing physiques, and who have trained have trained every day for years and years on end, the one who has worked out even harder and who has trained even better with even better trainers can be clearly better.

Training is more performant than 50 years before. But remember they are not limited by the unaugmented attribute cap anyway.
They use chemical-ware (which gets more performant each year).
Austere Emancipator
As said - not in an that abstract system.

Even in the "abstract" system of SR4, your amount of successes (compared to a treshold) still determines whether you can jump a certain distance, horizontally or vertically, does it not? Is there still an Athletics (or similar) test to determine just how fast you can sprint? Other tests to see how many CTs (or whatever) before you start getting exhausted, etc.? All these produce measurable results, with people with more dice getting better results, sometimes by a fraction of a second or of a meter.

It seems your definition of 'aptitude' is different than the one of the rules... which justs states that with that, people can achieve others cannot.

Are you saying we are not to draw any sort of equations between a particular rule mechanic and what IRL it is trying to model? If so, any discussion about how realistic rules are is quite ridiculous. If not, then it should be quite obvious to anyone who's followed Olympics that they tend to be jam-packed with people whose inherent physical attributes make them far better athletes in a particular event than the massive majority of humans, or even some of their co-competitors.

Absolutely. Without some serious augmentation or magic, Homo sapiens sapiens cannot fly by flapping their arms, or perform running jumps of over 15 meters, or run 100 meters in under 7 seconds, or whatever. If the reality of these matters is to be modeled, the rules for these events should be crafted such that these feats remain unattainable even if you alone are the fastest sprinter in the world by a clear margin.

QUOTE (hobgoblin)
so how about we declare 18 as the new max in skills? but going over attribute costs you atleast double the karma that it would normaly do?

Without having the SR4 book in front of me, I cannot say whether that might somehow screw with the established game balance. With a rules change that major, something else I'm not familiar with might need changing as well. If not, simply raising the hard limit to something that is pretty much unattainable already, or simply pointless to attain (like 18 often is) might be a good solution.
hobgoblin
well you end up rolling more dice and therefor may end up getting some very insane high end results on the tests if the number of meters are a multiple of the number of hits.

but then you can get the same result by trowing in edge dice and rolling 6's, only its not that surefire a result...
Rotbart van Dainig
All these produce measurable results, with people with more dice getting better results, sometimes by a fraction of a second or of a meter.

Nope... usually, they are faster by some seconds or jump some meters wider in an abstract system.

Without some serious augmentation or magic, Homo sapiens sapiens cannot fly by flapping their arms, or perform running jumps of over 15 meters, or run 100 meters in under 7 seconds, or whatever.

Yet, say, with a skill of 15 and a quickness of 6, that would usually happen in SR3.
Austere Emancipator
Nope... usually, they are faster by some seconds or jump some meters wider in an abstract system.

SR3 resolves running and sprinting speed for humans on the level of meter per second. That will produce results differing on the level of fractions of seconds, even before considering the fact that we're actually talking about giving people fractions of successes, on average.

For example, in SR3, Runner A has QUI-6, Athletics-7, Runner B has QUI-6, Athletics-8. They are racing 100 meters. Runner A scores 4 successes on the Athletics (Running) test on the first CT, 3 on the second CT, 4 on the third, 3 on the fourth. Runner B scores 4 successes on every CT. Runner B crosses the finishing line at 10.00 seconds, Runner A at 10.44 seconds.

Of course, when the fractions of seconds do not matter, we will simply ignore them and stick to the macro-resolution of what happened -- ie both Runner A and Runner B crossed the finishing line at the same instant at the end of the 4th CT, or perhaps 3 seconds apart with the Runner with the lower Initiative effectively being a full CT behind the faster one. The fractions of seconds are still there, we as GMs and players just overlook them when they're not central to gameplay.

Yet, say, with a skill of 15 and a quickness of 6, that would usually happen in SR3.

With QUI-6 and Athletics-15, you'd average 7.41 seconds on 100 meters.

The rules governing the use of Athletics in SR3 were ridiculous, and that had nothing to do with the potentially endless skill development. In SR3, someone with Quickness-9 and Athletics-6 has a 67% success rate at 3-meter standing vertical jump. Yet the same rules also show how such progression can be sanity-checked without screwing people over: no unaugmented human being can ever jump more than 11 meters horizontally from a running start, as per the rules in SRComp (3rd Ed).
Rotbart van Dainig
The fractions of seconds are still there, we as GMs and players just overlook them when they're not central to gameplay.

Or, in fact, the system does not model those adequately in it's own units.
As it doesn't when calculating jumping distance...

With QUI-6 and Athletics-15, you'd average 7.41 seconds on 100 meters.

Unless you spend a point of karma (which is usually done in relevant situations), which causes a performance more around 5,8 seconds.

The rules governing the use of Athletics in SR3 were ridiculous, and that had nothing to do with the potentially endless skill development.

Oh, they do: When using a linear system for resolution, infinite development will get things ridiculous.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012